• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The "problems" with Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
Something's been bugging me for a good long while now. It seems that no matter what Trip does, no matter how he's written in any particular episode, fans ALWAYS seem to find something to bash him for....even if it's totally contradictory to other complaints about him!

Let me list the ways...

Trip defeats Ash in battle and has more badges than him.

Fandom: Trip shouldn't be so invincible and ahead of Ash; he's just a rookie trainer! He has no excuse for his skills like Paul did!?

Trip loses to Cilan and Bianca in the first rounds of tournaments, while Ash gets further.

Fandom: Trip's such a LOSER! How can he be a significant, credible rival to Ash if he doesn't win his battles and get ahead of Ash like Paul did!

Trip talks down to Ash, insults the region of Kanto, and acts like a douche.

Fandom: How dare Trip be so mean! He's just a jerk, plain and simple, and he makes this an unenjoyable rivalry!

Trip is aloof, quiet, and tries ignoring Ash, though sometimes he's helpful toward Ash with his Pokemon problems.

Fandom: Trip isn't being enough of a rival! There's no clashing between him and Ash at all or drive to beat one another, so why should we care about their rivalry?

Trip doesn't seem to be getting enough character development.

Fandom: Trip is so boring and undeveloped!

Trip reveals his past with Alder and motivation, is crushed when Alder and his philosophy turn out different, and enters an actual state of depression when Bianca defeats him in the Donamite.

Fandom: .....No, still not seeing any sort of development!

Trip seems to look and act like Paul.

Fandom: He's a Paul rip-off!

Trip goes in his own direction, inspired by Cheren.

Fandom: He's a Cheren rip-off! (Never mind that, by the same token, Paul's a Silver rip-off....)

Trip doesn't appear in enough episodes.

Fandom: Trip barely shows up! Bianca is obviously more of a rival to Ash because she shows up more!

Trip finally does show up in an episode.

Fandom: Boooo! We hate Trip, why does he have to be in an episode?

See? It's just ridiculous. Trip just can't seem to do anything right as far as many fans are concerned, even if he's doing the opposite of what fans initially complained about!

I want to know why is this? What is with the ingrained bias against Trip, his rivalry with Ash, and all that he does? Is it just because he replaced the popular (for reasons I'll never be able to understand) Paul? Or is there something else at work here?

Last edited:

Haunter ゴースト

I agree to an extent here.

I hate how the fandom treats him, i personally think the writers have levelled Trip out great in the fact that he is on par/only just stronger than Ash and is shown to lose to other opponents, not only that but losing to Ash's companion friends. It's nice knowing he's not an invincible tank like Paul seemed to be.

On top of this, he isn't a complete jerk with his attitude, at least he shows some form of respect, and he accepts that he isn't incredibly strong too.

Trip is great, yeah he is better than Paul.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
^ I like Trip much better than Paul too, but people who think Paul is better are entitled to their opinions. That's not the problem here.

The problem is that Trip get such undeserved flak for absolutely everything, even when the complaints so blatantly contradict each other.

If someone wants to hate Trip, I'm fine with that....but for God's sake, let him be hated for consistent reasons, instead of just because of what amounts to "because he's Trip!"

Haunter ゴースト

I agree, it's stupid really.

I've noticed it aswell but don't really make anything of it simply because it's not going to make a difference, people are still going to bash Trip for existing/replacing Paul for doing something different in each appearance he makes.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Good old unpleasable fanbase.

The only thing here I can actual agree with is the first two, in that they could do with a better balance between Trip being the stronger-than-Ash guy and Trip being fallible. (Actually, looking back at his first two wins now, I kinda feel like those had more to do with the situation than with Trip being stronger- first time Pikachu was nerfed, second time Ash had been doing more catching than training, and he's trained a lot more since then.) I'd like to see another battle between Ash and Trip soon to get a better idea of how they stack up against each other since the last time.

Really, I don't actually have a problem with Trip actually being weaker than Ash before the end of the arc - combined with his disillusionment regarding Alder, it could make for some good character development if he starts wondering what strength really means or whatever - but I would like it if the show was a bit more clear on his strength compared to Ash. But apparently most of the rest of the fandom does not think that way. Eh.

Grey Wind

Some people do over react to Trip, as the fandom does in general, but I do have problems with him.

First off, he rarely appears. I don't like to compare him to Paul, but Paul was appearing quite a bit throughout DP, while Trip has very few appearances, especially compared to Bianca. For a main rival, he's appearances are few and far between.

I also don't like how little development he's had. Considering the pace of BW and the fact that we're nearing the seventh Gym, the small bit we got about him admiring Alder and learning that he wasn't all he was cracked up to be, while welcome, isn't enough. He just doesn't feel very relevant; he's shown up in the tournaments, but besides the Alder episode he's done next to nothing.

I dislike how he's been knocked out in the first round twice, but I'll give that the benefit of the doubt for now, as it could potentially lead to something.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
The only thing here I can actual agree with is the first two, in that they could do with a better balance between Trip being the stronger-than-Ash guy and Trip being fallible. (Actually, looking back at his first two wins now, I kinda feel like those had more to do with the situation than with Trip being stronger- first time Pikachu was nerfed, second time Ash had been doing more catching than training, and he's trained a lot more since then.)

Yeah, I never really liked the second battle between Ash and Trip. The first loss was justified due to Pikachu's condition, the second was just BS. I though the third battle was much better, as ending in a draw was a better outcome than Trip beating Ash so badly like he did the second time.

First off, he rarely appears. I don't like to compare him to Paul, but Paul was appearing quite a bit throughout DP, while Trip has very few appearances, especially compared to Bianca. For a main rival, he's appearances are few and far between.

Yes, but for one thing, Trip having the exact same frequency of appearances as Paul would lead to more "Paul rip-off" cries, and for another, Bianca appears more as a friend/ally and not as a rival. I fail to see how Trip suffers by comparasion to her, in this regard.

He just doesn't feel very relevant; he's shown up in the tournaments, but besides the Alder episode he's done next to nothing.

"Ash and Trip's Third Battle" was relevant since it set up the Alder episode, and again, his reaction to his recent Donamite defeat seems directly tied to what happened in the Alder episode. Remember, in the Don Battle (before the Alder episode), he didn't care that he lost. Now, (after the Alder episode), he really doesn't take it well that Bianca defeated him, and leaves out of shame and depression rather than like before, where he was just too arrogant to think watching other matches would benefit him. That's a development.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Well for me Trip's character and his character development is alright, it's just I don't like how the 1st and 2nd battles between him and Ash was handled. There is also the fact that he's the main rival after Paul, who imo was the best rival in the anime because of how he was handled and that hurts Trip's character since he's the rival after Paul and I don't think the writers will ever have a rival to top Paul.

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I don't really see too much problems with Trip. All he mentioned was about his hometown being a bunch of mindless characters. That is sort of true because when we first met Ash he didn't exaclty give a good impression unlike Red did. But that's a whole other story.

Second, is his character. He's not mean which is good. He was very nice to the Professor and he was thankful to his Snivy. As far as Pikachu is concerned, he is all a mystery to us.

Later on, we see him battle him twice, one where he won and the other which he tied, so that isn't bad. Atleast it's better than loss after loss after loss.

Next is his interactions. He wasn't mean to anyone else. He was interested and was opened to Iris, he interacted well with Cilan and he didn't give much fuss. As far as Bianca goes, she was like the blonde Barry/Ash so that's why he thinks she is a ditz. But don't we all?

As far as the Don battles, he lose to other characters. If this was Paul, he would be sweeping everyone including Ash. Here atleast we know he's not a sue which everyone was worried about.

Next is his voice, I love it. It's not too deep like Paul's but it's a very older voice. Makes him seem more older than he is.

I also liked that he has a camera and is interested in recording his journey. It showed his kiddish side alittle that he was excited and happy. Which is good. We don't need rivals who's always frowning and unhappy.

DMerle

Guess who's back
First off IMO Paul was the best rival and also character in the anime but i hate the way they've tried to make Trip look just like him. Trip should of had a competitive rivalry with Ash where he's constantly striving to beat him, the way it is now it he only ever half-heartedly accepts Ash's challenges. He's not strong enough to be condescending to Ash like Paul was and also he's friendly to other people whereas Paul only ever showed a grudging respect at best. another annoying notes are how Trip calls an entire region "the boonies", that annoying camera that was a huge part of him in the first episode and now only seems like an afterthought, and I also really hate his outfit.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
LOL Thank you for proving how...annoying this fanbase can be. ^^ (no sarcasm) I actually like Trip, but it's kind of sad because many people find something to complain about the guy. :( I like how he is patterned after Cheren....if they aren't going to put Cheren in, they might as well put a plot like him. It makes it a bit more meaningful that he's closer to Ash's age as well. I really can't picture Cheren shoving Ash to battle Alder. XD

Really though, it's just people with different opinions. You can't bundle them up into one group...though I do all the time XD but it does make this fandom seem ridiculous.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
First off IMO Paul was the best rival and also character in the anime but i hate the way they've tried to make Trip look just like him. Trip should of had a competitive rivalry with Ash where he's constantly striving to beat him, the way it is now it he only ever half-heartedly accepts Ash's challenges. He's not strong enough to be condescending to Ash like Paul was and also he's friendly to other people whereas Paul only ever showed a grudging respect at best. another annoying notes are how Trip calls an entire region "the boonies", that annoying camera that was a huge part of him in the first episode and now only seems like an afterthought, and I also really hate his outfit.

I don't know if you've noticed this but so far there have been three characters carrying cameras around. It's really funny.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I don't think Trip is *all* that bad. But sometimes, some scenes with him can annoy me. But, overall I don't have much issues with how his rivalry with Ash is being handled.

The thing I like about how he is being worked in the anime is that the writers didn't put an "invincible aura" around him like some of Ash's former rivals.

I also did like the episode showing his backstory with Alder as it reveals why he seems to be so skilled for a rookie trainer.

The only thing about him that may annoy me at times is how he can be a jerk towards Ash when he is just trying to be a nice guy and be friends with him. But, it's just a minor issue. Overall, he is ok to me.

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
Problems with Trip? I just don't like how they are making him a weakling. I liked it bettwe when Ash's rivals were able to toss everyone including him around. I'm not used to see this and then seeing a Bianca doing what she's doing.

DMerle

Guess who's back
What does him having a camera have anthing to do with damage to his character?

It just seems that since they made him Paul-like in the fact that he's nearly always ahead of Ash whenever they interact, catches a wide variety of strong pokemon, and is always condescending and rude to whoever is weaker than them. It seems kinda pointless that at the same time they'd have him being concerned with photography it seems like a character trait they adopted in the first ever episode and then just abandoned later on.

Luthor

I don't think Trip is *all* that bad. But sometimes, some scenes with him can annoy me. But, overall I don't have much issues with how his rivalry with Ash is being handled.

The thing I like about how he is being worked in the anime is that the writers didn't put an "invincible aura" around him like some of Ash's former rivals.

I also did like the episode showing his backstory with Alder as it reveals why he seems to be so skilled for a rookie trainer.

The only thing about him that may annoy me at times is how he can be a jerk towards Ash when he is just trying to be a nice guy and be friends with him. But, it's just a minor issue. Overall, he is ok to me.

i'd have to agree with this. generally i think he serves his purpose, I personally prefered paul but i think trip is different enough character to make it work. I just would like to see him do better than the first round in the don tournaments. Even if the only people he beat were cotd it would at least build him up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.