• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The "problems" with Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhhh...no he is not. Paul was light years better then Trip. Trip is nothing more then a bland wannabee. Stephun & Bianca are the only true rivals I see fit for Ash.

Well i'm going to have to disagree with you....Trip is a lot more better then Paul is,ten times better then him anyways... Trip isn't bland at all and he fits perfectly fine as Ash's true rival,even if Ash does have Bianca&Stephan as rivals.

Last edited:

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
Uhhh...no he is not. Paul was light years better then Trip. Trip is nothing more then a bland wannabee. Stephun & Bianca are the only true rivals I see fit for Ash.

First off, calling Trip "bland" in comparission to Paul invokes the pot-kettle analogy, seeing as Paul is a guy who walks around with a perpetual frowning facial expression and talking in the most emotionless tone of voice possible, and barely reacting to anything around him.

Secondly, how is Bianca, who has never shown any HINT of rivalry with Ash past her debut appearance, more fitting than Trip?

xXdArKvOidXx

Sceptile Slayer
They need to bring Tobias back. He was a boss and would get Ash's hopes up even more for the League.

They need to bring Tobias back. He was a boss and would get Ash's hopes up even more for the League.

Tobias was only a one time league rival for Ash he will never be seen again.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8

Seiryu

Resident dragon
First off, calling Trip "bland" in comparission to Paul invokes the pot-kettle analogy, seeing as Paul is a guy who walks around with a perpetual frowning facial expression and talking in the most emotionless tone of voice possible, and barely reacting to anything around him.

Mm. Honestly, I never got this. I mean, I can understand the sentiment that Trip hasn't gotten oodles of character development, but to compare him unfavorably to Paul? As in, the character whose development for the first 130-odd episodes of the saga consisted of "Hey, I'm a jerk", "Hey, I'm being more of a jerk", "Hey, I'm being even more of a jerk and have no problem being abusive to my own pokemon", and "Yeah, he always was kind of a jerk" (that last one provided by his brother)? The character who, due to his status as the writers' favorite character (I mean, literally the favorite character of at least one of the writers--Atsuhiro Tomioka, so I've heard), never was forced to have any meaningful lesson "stick"--like that time when he responded to Cynthia's advice ("Be nicer to your Chimchar!") with a big LOLNO (and she became more or less supportive of him with the whole "he's not wrong, he just does things differently" thing to boot), or that other time when any lesson he might've learned from being beaten by Brandon was "rewarded" by allowing him to stomp Ash in their match mere episodes later? The character whose only truly meaningful--for a certain value of "meaningful"--development, due to a lack of appearances following the Lake Acuity battle in addition to being a Creator's Pet, all occurred in the last thirty episodes (the last seven if you discount Infernape's evolution) and still didn't necessitate any sort of meaningful change in attitude or outlook, or even so much as an apology for being such a colossal dick? I think that covers most of it in some form.

I mean, god damn. Even %&#$ing Gary had more depth of character than Paul did, and Trip has, I'd say, more character depth than Gary did. I mean, hell--at least they're not waiting until the last ten percent of the series to give Trip his due development.

AuraMaster said:
Ritchie would like to argue your logic.
Ritchie is more the exception that proves the rule, and either way was an objectively terrible character who should never have appeared again anyways.

Mm. Honestly, I never got this. I mean, I can understand the sentiment that Trip hasn't gotten oodles of character development, but to compare him unfavorably to Paul? As in, the character whose development for the first 130-odd episodes of the saga consisted of "Hey, I'm a jerk", "Hey, I'm being more of a jerk", "Hey, I'm being even more of a jerk and have no problem being abusive to my own pokemon", and "Yeah, he always was kind of a jerk" (that last one provided by his brother)? The character who, due to his status as the writers' favorite character (I mean, literally the favorite character of at least one of the writers--Atsuhiro Tomioka, so I've heard), never was forced to have any meaningful lesson "stick"--like that time when he responded to Cynthia's advice ("Be nicer to your Chimchar!") with a big LOLNO (and she became more or less supportive of him with the whole "he's not wrong, he just does things differently" thing to boot), or that other time when any lesson he might've learned from being beaten by Brandon was "rewarded" by allowing him to stomp Ash in their match mere episodes later? The character whose only truly meaningful--for a certain value of "meaningful"--development, due to a lack of appearances following the Lake Acuity battle in addition to being a Creator's Pet, all occurred in the last thirty episodes (the last seven if you discount Infernape's evolution) and still didn't necessitate any sort of meaningful change in attitude or outlook, or even so much as an apology for being such a colossal dick? I think that covers most of it in some form.

I mean, god damn. Even %&#$ing Gary had more depth of character than Paul did, and Trip has, I'd say, more character depth than Gary did. I mean, hell--at least they're not waiting until the last ten percent of the series to give Trip his due development.

Ritchie is more the exception that proves the rule, and either way was an objectively terrible character who should never have appeared again anyways.

I think it was cool that Ritchie appear again since he did have some cool pokemon.He was a great league rival for Ash.

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
I think it was cool that Ritchie appear again since he did have some cool pokemon.He was a great league rival for Ash.
None of his Pokemon were cool. All of them have been on Ash's team, bar Pupitar. And he wasn't a great league rival, he was just an Ash "clone", and their league match was awful.
Well Tobias was only a one time League character he didn't have a personality and he wasn't all that important anyways.
Ritchie didn't have a personality and wasn't all that important.
Trip is a fun filled rival character done right unlike Paul was.
Trip? Fun-filled?
Trip is the best rival the show has right now
Does he challenge Ash to get stronger? It's quite embarrassing Ash has a rivalry with a beginning trainer.

None of his Pokemon were cool. All of them have been on Ash's team, bar Pupitar. And he wasn't a great league rival, he was just an Ash "clone", and their league match was awful.

Ritchie didn't have a personality and wasn't all that important.

Trip? Fun-filled?

Does he challenge Ash to get stronger? It's quite embarrassing Ash has a rivalry with a beginning trainer.

I think it is cool that Ash have a rival for a beginning trainer which adds something fresh to the show for once.It is not embarrassing either,it is kinda great.

Last edited:
I like the guy. He won his first battle with Ash by luck, his second by having better pokemon - one with a cheap Ability.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8

Seriously what are you on? HE was just an Ash clone like Trip is a Paul clone who fails by coming in so soon after Paul and replacing Cheren. Thats why the little fudger is hated by so many people. If they just had Cheren nobody would mine. However if the BW 2 news is true the reason for not having Cheren makes sense.

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
Ritchie would like to argue your logic.

They brought him back because he was an Ash clone and had another Pikachu. Other than that, none of the other league rivals got another cameo but him.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
Mm. Honestly, I never got this. I mean, I can understand the sentiment that Trip hasn't gotten oodles of character development, but to compare him unfavorably to Paul? As in, the character whose development for the first 130-odd episodes of the saga consisted of "Hey, I'm a jerk", "Hey, I'm being more of a jerk", "Hey, I'm being even more of a jerk and have no problem being abusive to my own pokemon", and "Yeah, he always was kind of a jerk" (that last one provided by his brother)? The character who, due to his status as the writers' favorite character (I mean, literally the favorite character of at least one of the writers--Atsuhiro Tomioka, so I've heard), never was forced to have any meaningful lesson "stick"--like that time when he responded to Cynthia's advice ("Be nicer to your Chimchar!") with a big LOLNO (and she became more or less supportive of him with the whole "he's not wrong, he just does things differently" thing to boot), or that other time when any lesson he might've learned from being beaten by Brandon was "rewarded" by allowing him to stomp Ash in their match mere episodes later? The character whose only truly meaningful--for a certain value of "meaningful"--development, due to a lack of appearances following the Lake Acuity battle in addition to being a Creator's Pet, all occurred in the last thirty episodes (the last seven if you discount Infernape's evolution) and still didn't necessitate any sort of meaningful change in attitude or outlook, or even so much as an apology for being such a colossal dick? I think that covers most of it in some form.I mean, god damn. Even %&#$ing Gary had more depth of character than Paul did, and Trip has, I'd say, more character depth than Gary did. I mean, hell--at least they're not waiting until the last ten percent of the series to give Trip his due development.

I.....LOVE YOU! All of this is exactly how I feel on the matter, and what I feel is true. All that you said described Paul's run as a character on the show perfectly!

And again, aside from all that, he was just so boring. His design's boring, his voice was boring, his attitude was so unlikable it was unwatchable, his personality was nothing like how any 10-year old boy would ever act, his expressions ranged from stoic stares, grumpy scowls, smug smirks, and anger, and that was about it, and he never reacted to anything in the plot believably. Even when Chirmchar was enraged, out of control, and threatening to burn him, he just stood there stoically without batting an eye. He barely gave off the impression that he really gave a damn about anything or was passionate about anything at all, even his supposed goal. He was like a robot who was just programmed to move things along and nothing else. And the rivalry between him and Ash over "differing training methods".....UGH, terrible!

Honestly, Paul was nothing more than a less-emo version of Sasuke Uchiha. That is all.

Ritchie is more the exception that proves the rule, and either way was an objectively terrible character who should never have appeared again anyways

Though I'd much rather see Ritchie again (preferably if he'd recieve any character development for once!) than ever see Paul again. That's how bad I think he was.

Trip? Fun-filled?

LOL yeah, Trip may be a more fun rival than Paul, but NOT fun-filled at all. Look at how he deals with all the other weirdo rivals at the Don George tournaments. He's a total Straight Man.

Well neither did Paul, seeing as Ash always forgot all about him until his next appearance and would've strived to get stronger regardless. And how is that embarassing? ALL rivals you have in the games are techically "beggining trainers" just like you! It doesn't make them inheretly inferior. And anyway, it's better that the rival be an honest-to-goodness begginner rather than a dude who out of the blue reveals he's a veteran who's been to all the regions Ash had been and only just now is competing in his home region's league where he happens to finally run into Ash and become his rival. That was just....really, really dumb.

Trip is a Paul clone who fails by coming in so soon after Paul and replacing Cheren. Thats why the little fudger is hated by so many people

First off: coming in so soon after Paul...what would you rather have had? Paul coming back for another region? Or Cheren? And speaking of which, Trip oughta not just be singled out for replacing Cheren will Paul replaced Barry as the "main D/P rival" and was a really bad rip-off of Silver from G/S/C, thus sort of "replacing" him in the anime.

Last edited:

*futachimaru*

Music Maker/ Dreamer
i agree. its starting to get boring where every single ash v trip ends in ash trying his hardest and still not beating trip. it would be nice for ash to have a rival that doesnt have a terrible/ arragont opinion (zoey was a good rival because she didnt rub it in dawn's face when dawn lost)

Seriously what are you on? HE was just an Ash clone like Trip is a Paul clone who fails by coming in so soon after Paul and replacing Cheren. Thats why the little fudger is hated by so many people. If they just had Cheren nobody would mine. However if the BW 2 news is true the reason for not having Cheren makes sense.

Trip is a much better rival done right and he ain't a Paul clone either thank goodness.Paul was a terrible character and he had no personality whatsoever. People don't mind Trip as much as they did with Paul who fail to be a great rival and a great character.

i agree. its starting to get boring where every single ash v trip ends in ash trying his hardest and still not beating trip. it would be nice for ash to have a rival that doesnt have a terrible/ arragont opinion (zoey was a good rival because she didnt rub it in dawn's face when dawn lost)

Ash v Trip is a lot more better then Zoey vs Dawn.The truth is Zoey was a terrible rival for Dawn it is not like she help Dawn get any better,Zoey was annoying rival who always rub things in Dawn's face about her needed to improve her self.

I say even though Ritchie is an Ash clone,he was still a cool pokemon trainer and a great league rival for Ash.I can see why they brought him back during mid Johto since he was too cool to pass off on,he did have a great personality.

Last edited:

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
i agree. its starting to get boring where every single ash v trip ends in ash trying his hardest and still not beating trip.

Technically, Ash and Trip's third battle actually ended in a draw, and there it was pretty clear that Trip's Vanillite was the weaker trained pokemon seeing as Tepig regained concioussness quickly afterwards whereas Vanillite was just plain KO'd. It was Trip's first "loss" in my eyes, and of course, it wasn't the last one...

Trip is a much better rival done right and he ain't a Paul clone either thank goodness.Paul's was a terrible character and he had no personality whatsoever. People don't mine Trip as much as they did Paul who fail to be a great rival and a character.

Do I even need to comment on how off your grammar is?

Ash v Trip is a lot more better then Zoey vs Dawn.The truth is Zoey was a terrible rival for Dawn it is not like she help Dawn get any better,Zoey was annoying rival who always rub things in Dawn's face about her needed to improve her self.

"Rubbing things in Dawn's face about her needing to improve herself" IS how she helped Dawn get any better. And truth be told, Zoey was the ONLY good rival Dawn ever had. She was probably the best rival in the D/P series too, but that's only due to her competition being poor, considering how bad she got handled alot of times.

I say even though Ritchie is an Ash clone,he was a cool trainer and a great league rival for Ash.I can see why they brought him back during mid Johto since he was too cool to pass off on,he did had a great personality.

Ritchie was a cool trainer and could have been a great league rival for Ash, but dude, he had next to NO personality to speak of.

Last edited:
Technically, Ash and Trip's third battle actually ended in a draw, and there it was pretty clear that Trip's Vanillite was the weaker trained pokemon seeing as Tepig regained concioussness quickly afterwards whereas Vanillite was just plain KO'd. It was Trip's first "loss" in my eyes, and of course, it wasn't the last one...

Do I even need to comment on how off your grammar is?

I did miss spell a little bit,other then that my grammar is ok?

"Rubbing things in Dawn's face about her needing to improve herself" IS how she helped Dawn get any better. And truth be told, Zoey was the ONLY good rival Dawn ever had. She was probably the best rival in the D/P series too, but that's only due to her competition being poor, considering how bad she got handled alot of times.

Yeah! I guest you are right.

Ritchie was a cool trainer and could have been a great league rival for Ash, but dude, he had next to NO personality to speak of.

Well i still do believe Ritchie was still a great trainer.

Mr. Ribbles

Cubchoo Lover
Atleast Trip isn't like Paul. 10% angry, 90% emotionless robot. Seriously...

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
Atleast Trip isn't like Paul. 10% angry, 90% emotionless robot. Seriously...

Once again, I say to someone THANK YOU. That's my point exactly. Saying Trip is bland when compared to Paul even though Paul's the one with just three facial expressions throughout his entire run (grumpy, angry, and smug).....it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Trip's alot more like Drew from Advanced Generation: he's a composed rival but with a variety of actual emotions shown (in addition to grumpy, angry, and smug, we've seen him happy, surprised, confused, depressed, etc.) Here's my personal favorite example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.