• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Progression

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
I want shrimp bites. Can I have some even though I'm not a mudkip?

There's no pokemon-human segregation in a pokemon center. You can even eat Rideon's food if you really put your mind to it!

I for one would choose croissants over fame any day.

I would choose either over pokemon training.

HOLY **** A GREEN DRAGONAIR

Prax is selling out! She put a shiny in her fic!

Also: Rola is probably the most adorable onix in the history of onix.

Rola is basically just Riesa's (28-foot, soild granite) baby daughter.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
I don’t like how the last week of Rustboro had been spent. I know I was the one to bail without having to waste any time, but the end of those days really felt like malingering. They didn’t feel fulfilling and they made you depart on guilty, lazy terms. On the other hand, leaving too quickly doesn’t make me feel any better either.

Somehow, Riesa began to seem so calm. I don’t know about Atashka, but he usually shares my dissatisfactions. This morning, unlike the last, she was the earliest to wake up, and was already bright and showered by the time she came in our room. She sat up with Atashka and made terrible jokes about status conditions. Then after a while they tied my hair like Sapphire Birch, but I didn’t like it.

Riesa said, “Atashka, it’s time for us to move on.”

“Yeah?” Atashka said. “That’s right, I think so too.”

I watched him with mild hostility from my bed.

He said, “Arauve, what are your plans. Are you moving on too? How long are you sticking with us.”

I thought about all the non-implementable responses. “I’ll stay,” I said, “don’t get stressed, I’ll stay with you two for a while.”

“Yay,” Riesa said dutifully. “Okay, so I wanna reach Mauville by sunset at least. Arauve I don’t remember how many hours it is but I don’t like the idea of taking that grass route in the dark,” I shook my head, “it’ll be icky to navigate. I think I could be ready to leave before lunch. I don’t know about you?”

“I need potions,” Atashka said.

“Oh I need to shop too, I can get packed in an hour and spend the rest of the morning shopping,” she said. “It’s all up to you guys.” They looked at me again.

“I’m ready now,” I said.

“Arauve I’ll make you shop,” Atashka said. “Your pants are getting cruddy!”

“I’m not shopping for clothes! They’re fine, this is travel wear.”

“Well then wear something new, don’t wear the cruddy ones.” He looked up into Riesa’s face, who was folding the hem of her pajamas, as if she was doing something significant.

“We’re going to your home!” Atashka said. “Are you excited?”

I looked at her too. She shrugged. “Yeah, it’ll be nice!”

“I wanna meet your family! Riesa you never talk about them.”

“That’ll be nice…” They stared down at the same hem for a few seconds, but then smiled up at each other again.

“Atashka I wish we had a day just for souvenirs,” Riesa said, hitting his shin with her hand. “It’s Slateport. Slateport!”

“So? We can have one. We don’t have to leave today…”

“We do though.” She found her feet on the rug. “Come on guys, no looking back. I’ll go back to my room and pack. I’m meeting you before breakfast, you should be done!”

Wherever I go I want to see the ocean. Staying in Slateport taught me that. Riesa feels that way about the sea too. Back when we were little the ocean near Petalburg was like our mother. We only went there in summer, and we left before evening. It was like the meadow behind a class at preschool. You remember the meadow in the back and you don’t remember what happened that day. But now I’ve started to realize, that the ocean is older. The ocean was alive years before we were born. You could have found the ocean twenty or thirty years ago, at the end of a street in a neighborhood near the city, or on the road between two villages beside a country path, or entering the gate of a university, carrying a messenger bag. I think I could get scared of the ocean, but I don’t have to.

I want Arauve to feel like she has a mom… Pokémon are our kids, they can’t give everything I got. Not a mother, not here a home, but an ocean, a sister, Riesa, a grovyle, these things tie together and they can make a sort of family. You can enjoy having them there, like Wally said.

Instead of people, or even stuffed pokémon, Arauve hugs pillows and blankets now. She said yes today, but it looked like she was going to go away again at some point. The date wasn’t chosen though. I did her packing with her, and then mine. Then we showered. Then Riesa came and we went down to have breakfast. The breakfast at Slateport was so good, we didn’t want to know that it was our last breakfast here. It was pancakes with cream and Rawst.

For shopping we just went to the close Pokémart. I didn’t remember anything to get besides potions and full heals. But it was still almost lunchtime when we came back. We spent an hour wasting time again. Then we went down to have lunch, which I was really hungry for. I put on nice clothes for the journey. For daytime with no stopping, they would be fine.

Atashka and Arauve in the back seat of the car, dressed up. Haha, it’s Riesa now. Why did I get out of bed so early and take charge of leaving? Well, it’s a secret. It was a lovely day for leaving, the sky was this streaky blue and it made Slateport white and lavender even after lunch. I love the sea too, I’d find a way to get back to it every day. And if something took me away for a while, I wouldn’t worry, because every little thing you decide because of every time and place is good. In fact, when we went back to the route it was a lot better than what we’d seen yesterday in the late evening, because everyone traveling was a lot fresher and calmer than at the end of the workday, and it still was less crowded.

I wasn’t spacing out like yesterday either. It was so good because Arauve walked us to the side of the route almost when we were out and she said she had something to tell me, making sure Atashka was there too. “Listen, I remember you talking about the last time you were here. The beginning of your journey? And how you spent the whole day in Dewford trying to get lost in the deep cave. I haven’t forgotten anything, I’ve been thinking about it ever since then. Right, Atashka?”

“What?” he said. “Well, yeah!”

I wasn’t expecting anything like that. “Arauve…” I said, but she made herself clear.

“I have to say I don’t understand everything about it. But what I got from it is that you were scared.”

“I can’t deny that…” I said.

“Are you scared now?”

“Come on, Arauve…” Atashka said. “That’s such a bad thing to ask.”

She glanced sideways for just a second, but went back to me.

“No!” I said. “I’m sorry I haven’t told you guys. I feel so much better now. I must have sounded really bad, but Atashka, those days in Dewford, where you and the other trainers took me into your group, it felt like I wasn’t alone for the first time in months. And then when we got to Slateport… being with you two has been some of the best times of my journey. Some of the best, of my life.”

“Buut,” she said. “Aren’t you nervous?”

“About what?!” Atashka said.

“I don’t know, to be honest,” I said.

“Do you want to take a few more breaks, so you can find out?”

“No. I’m… as ready as I’m going to be.”

“That’s good,” Arauve smiled at me. We shared the look for a little while, but she was the first to look away, probably thinking it had outlived its coolness. I didn’t mind; I knew I was going to find a way to make her do something really cute before the day was over.

To be honest, I hadn’t remembered this route much when we came here yesterday, and it was still new to me today. You don’t retain a lot about location when you’re on your first trek before you even know what to notice. I came with only one worry, and that was, if I went back to the place where I’d been traveling alone, without all the things, all the people I had now, then well? Then I might go back to having nothing. I’d felt like I’d become a different person now, and she wasn’t meant to be there in Mauville, in those clothes, in my parents’ car. But what did I feel when I got here? Nothing, because there was no time to overthink! It was way more crowded than we’d counted on in the morning and even considering that it was fall, there was more traffic than you’d expect for just after lunch hour. And they were almost all trainers, too. They didn’t have any better occupation. We had to stop beside the Cycling Road gate and figure out how we were even going to start on the lower road, which like I’d remembered, was much further along the route.

“Isn’t there a short way?” I said. “Arauve, can’t we just go outside the route?”

“Why don’t we just go?” she said. “There’s no strategy to avoiding trainers.”

“Yeah well we got to make it through the journey without spending the whole day this time,” Atashka said. “Because I’m not letting anything get on these new trousers – ”

“Ugh,” she said. “I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but to go off route you need land borders, not a river. Besides, it takes longer.”

“Excuse me,” said a very small voice. We were up against the Slateport fence, and behind some scattered bushes. A small kid was peeking from behind them.

“Yes?” I said.

“I was wondering if I could… have a battle?”

Arauve looked up at the sky.

“I’m not really good at this yet,” she said, her voice trying to disappear.

The trainer was smaller than I had been, and she wore a frilly white lacy dress that was definitely her parents’ choice. Her name was Isabella. Arauve got very interested in her once she actually saw who she was. And so was I. We made her take out her one starter pokémon, a small wild-looking Electrike, who wasn’t very good at people other than her. Isabella was handling him like a house pet. “Did I have that confidence when I started?” I said.

“You must have been asking for battles on your first day,” Arauve said, standing in front of her who was neck level when they were right in front of each other. “Do you live in Slateport, Isabella?” she said.

“I used to,” she said. “I started a while back. I haven’t – I mean… I haven’t really managed to cross this route yet…”

“It is a long route…” I sympathized.

“You hungry Isabella?” Atashka said. “I’ve got some breakfast buns left over…”

“No!” She shook her head. “It’s okay.”

“Sure?” Arauve said.

“I already ate,” she smiled timidly.

“It’s nice, it’s nice,” Arauve nodded her head. “I don’t think you’re ready to battle us yet, however. You don’t want to go back home again today, do you?”

“Oh… Okay.”

“Let’s take her along though!” I said. “Isabella, you and us have the same problem. We’ve gotta get through this route before nightfall if preferable. That means avoiding trainers is a-okay. After all, we’ll, uh, we can catch up on the training any other day. You want to come with us?”

“How old are you, Isabella?” Arauve said.

“Let her answer Riesa first.”

Isabella flicked her head and said, “Sure! That is, I don’t want to slow you down…”

“No way!” Atashka said. “We don’t care right Arauve?”

“And I’m nine years old,” she said pleasantly. We were taking her back along to the route. Atashka said, “Nine years! But the training age – ”

“That’s for League registration,” Arauve said. “Lots of trainers start their journey in the same year as their tenth birthday. Am I right, Isabella?”

“Yeah… It’s my birthday in October. My – My dad said it would be all right.”

“Right. And I’m getting an idea. The idea is that none of us are wearing trainer clothes today, because of Atashka’s genius plan. We look like we’re headed out for dim sum. Until we actually leave this route, we can just say we’re taking the Cycling Road. In fact, people are not going to approach us. That’s the plan. We won’t get approached today.” Walking through the squinting sun of the open route, it wasn’t really even as crowded as it had looked at the start; we looked safe for the next ten or twenty feet.

“That sounds,” I said, “like a terrible plan.”

She looked back to me. “Thanks!” Another cool smile!

Past the Cycling Road gate and we were on the corridor beside the river, a cute path. There were a lot of people walking down it but they let us be mostly. On our left were thick trees. Then the weird old house again.

“Who even lives here?” Arauve said.

“Isabella?” I said. “Have you ever been down here?”

“Yeah, but this house… This house was a guest house as long as I remember. Then some really rich old man bought it. And since then nobody has been…”

“The TRICK MASTER’S House,” Atashka read. “Look at the sign.”

“Huh.” I read the message underneath the title.

It was really just like any other house. It didn’t even look very renovated or fancy, just new. But it looked really empty. In fact the door seemed open, so someone must have been in, but all the lights were off.

“Is it okay if we don’t, go here?” Isabella said. “Maybe it’ll save time?”

“Yeah, she’s right,” Arauve said. “Come on.”

The low road, and it must have been barely four. I could tell that it was some kind of bridge and it led all the way up the wide, still, white, meandering backwater of the river. The sides of the road were guarded by a thin corrugated metal fence. But it was all earth, and a lot of wildlife was growing on it. Maybe it was one of those floating earth or new earth constructions. Made by Mauville to change the landscape of this route.

“Ever been down here, Isabella?” Arauve said.

The kid said, “Too many times…”

If we met anyone here, there’d be no excuse not to battle. The weeds gave a little bit of hiding place, but it was just too narrow. We stepped into them, peering ahead for any tall intruders. As a large party, I’ve seen that most wild pokémon get discouraged. I still didn’t see anything until I was within feet of it, and a scratchy yellow streak in the green grass sprung up to pose at Arauve.

She held up her pokéball, but paused. “Wanna get some training done?”

“I only have Electrike, actually…” said Isabella.

“Oh…” Beautifly flashed out, and enveloped it in a flutter of wings. Then before it could react, we’d all run past it.

When the route straightened out, we could eventually see that it was just moving over the center of the river. Every now and then you saw two banks on the two sides. It was muggy in the undergrowth. Also, our clothes were spared but we couldn’t help getting our shoes dirty.

Isabella, from my glances, didn’t seem all that much nervous, except she was still self conscious around strangers, but it was more how she went quiet after all of us were walking for a little while. Her quietness was different from our quietness. I had a nice idea, and said, “Isabella, have you ever been to Mauville before?”

She replied in a very low voice, had already forgotten about talking. “Yeah. Once before my, qualification year.”

“Did you ever try the Game Corner?”

“I didn’t try the Game Corner. My dad said it was for gamblers, not for kids.”

“Did you see their TV studios? They have live tours.”

“Really?”

“I used to love going with my friends. I live in Mauville.”

“Oh.” She looked aside to my face.

“Ever seen “City Snubbull”? All the sets are in their Mauville studio. They’re all indoors!”

“That’s cool,” she said.

“And the Pecha Soap commercial. You can get an autograph from the Pecha Soap lady.”

She snickered a little bit, before I looked back.

“Why would you want an autograph from the Pecha Soap lady, right,” I said. I managed to get another laugh from her.

“Isabella, I’m gonna catch up on all the cool new stuff that’s happened in Mauville with my friends. Mauville is the first place anything new ever comes. Maybe we might even see a concert. You want to come with us?”

She didn’t reply for a while.

“We should exchange numbers,” Arauve said. “If you ever have some time, call us up. We’d be happy to hang out with you!”

“Yeah, you’re the coolest!” Atashka said.

She blushed and looked like she was trying to vanish herself. “Thank you,” shaking her head.

I thought of something else, but we got surprised by another wild pokémon. They were all the same from the earlier route. I went to thinking about staying at home with your parents. There were so many people who did. Anyone who didn’t plan to train. But I never thought I’d been expected to, and probably neither did Atashka or Arauve. I heard that they’d been planning to go out training from very young, and I’d more or less thought I was going to do that too.

It wasn’t that I didn’t have other options. Or maybe it was that the real choice was already too obvious. But when you chose it it immediately started feeling like the easiest and worst choice. No matter how much thought might have gone into it. And it was all because I needed to know what I wanted. I didn’t know what I wanted, just that I wanted it.

I wanted to be on this journey with Arauve and Atashka. This was what I’d been looking for. It wasn’t the most obvious thought, but now it could give me an anchor.

I wanted to see the sea with my friends. We hadn’t been on Route 104 together. Or explored the Abandoned Ship.

I wanted to know what Lilycove and Mossdeep were like.

I wanted to make more friends. Atashka and Arauve were my first. I wanted more like them. Pro trainers, school kids going at the same age, little children, old veteran ladies.

All of these had been daydreams I had before. That time was so different. It was strange because I had such different expectations from me. I knew I’d be training someday, but I couldn’t imagine ever going into it.

I couldn’t live the change from then to now… I couldn’t stand having to remember or see back then. It had been pretty good to live at home, I thought. Did the last year ruin all the years before it?

I don’t think I even saw the back we were approaching before it turned around. “Riesa?” it said. Me?

“Alia?” I said. It felt like a rock had been dropped around my neck.

She completely relaxed when she saw the new trainer. Her eyes took that puzzled look we’d known from when she was still getting lost in caves. I was looking at her, but I had to see who the trainer was, too: black leather jacket, denim shorts, dark brown shoulder length hair, very pale, with an accent I hadn’t heard, no idea who she thought she was.

However, they hugged. Atashka said, “You know her?!”

Riesa’s hand gripped the sleeve of the trainer’s jacket, which I’d never seen before. “This is a really, really old friend,” she said. “Well, friend of the family.” Alia was obviously at least three years older than us. As for Riesa’s tone, which changed in a matter of instants when she appeared. I don’t think I have to describe it.

Alia’s voice was surprisingly gentle and low. “The last time I saw you, you were minus a few teeth! Right?”

Riesa looked down and smiled. “That’s embarrassing. And not true… So did you finally get to go out?”

“I went out and came back. Now I’m out again. On my retirement trip. My dad… Well, he finally left, is all there is to it.”

“Oh, Alia…”

She looked into Riesa’s face. “Hey. Thank god, right?”

Riesa laughed again. It sounded like a very sincere laugh.

“I was so happy, I got four Gym Badges as a birthday gift to myself. Then I decided, better give your generation a fighting chance.”

“Okay, okay, don’t fall off your crutches. Alia, this is Atashka, and this is Arauve.” She got between us four and put her arm out to point, lingering stylishly over my head. “They’re my best friends. I’d rather have them at my back. And this is Isabella! We just met her today.”

“Heyo, Isabella.”

“Hi.”

“Are you and your electrike doing good?”

“Yes.”

“That’s good…”

“We’re going to get to Mauville before it even starts to get dark,” Riesa said. “That’s the promise we made to Isabella. She started her journey today from Slateport, you know.”

“Ok! Then I’m gonna see you to your parents today. I was looking for something to do anyway.” Who is she to her parents?!

“Aww, you don’t have to.”

Riesa had come to in a gradual process since Alia appeared. It had been very visible. In fact, right now her brown, fuzzy round eyes didn’t quite hit you at your depth. But that could have even been imagination. It was actually nothing more than my suspicion scrabbling out the truth.

“Alia, how many pokémon do you have?” Atashka said.

“I’ve got four pokémon, champ. I’ll show them to you sometime.”

“Are they stronger than ours?”

“You bet.”

“Alia used to train without equipment back when she lived at our house,” Riesa said. “She used a net and she made up all her moves.”

“Huh? Oh, then. We were just all babies back then. Yeah, you can say my starter pokémon is all home bred.”

“A net? What did she do with a net?”

“She didn’t use pokéballs!” Riesa said. “She caught pokémon with stones and nets. Then she released them.”

“That’s so mean!”

“You should have seen what the poochyena did to me when I went out in the route.”

“Shouldn’t have been on the route in the first place, Alia,” Riesa said.

She blew a raspberry.

“I’m so good now Alia. How can you be the battling pro anymore? When we get to Mauville I’m gonna beat you.”

“Ha! I’d like to see the day when little Riesa beats me.”

“I’ll do it.” They stared off, mock sparks between them.

“You better be careful, Riesa,” Atashka said. “She sounds like she’s really good!”

“See? Atashka knows what’s up. You young whippersnappers are growing up. But I’ve seen you in nothing but diapers, running out of the house! You know how you used to love eating mud, Riesa?”

“Alia,” Riesa said, faster than Alia stopped talking. Her words stumbled. “This is the first time I’m having this conversation with you.”

“Yeah, I’d say so!” Alia said. “Can’t have had this conversation before you know.”

She shook her head.

“I mean…”

“I know, I know. This is my first too. Remember, I was younger too.”

There was a polite silence from the three of us. I was not going to talk until this conversational picnic was over. Alia said, “I really wanted to be there for your ribbon ceremony.”

“It’s okay. I know what you had to be doing.”

“Ribbon ceremony?” I said.

“Some cute party they have in Mauville,” Atashka said.

“But…”

“No, she’s right,” Riesa said. “The ribbon ceremony is a thing they have for a particular kind of girl. I’m…” She was looking directly at me. I couldn’t focus; I was fighting an urge to hoist her and carry her the way.

“Riesa is trans.” She looked at Alia in gratitude. I suddenly knew that I was going to defeat Alia in battle at the end of the day.

“Oh!” Atashka said. Isabella smiled too. Atashka said, “She never even told us!”

“It’s a pretty private thing, Atashka…” I said.

“Yeah, Arauve’s right,” Alia said.

The other two kids looked down. “Sorry…” Atashka said.

“No! I really want to talk about it with you guys,” Riesa said. She returned my fixed stare. Her look was my expression, the one I was trying to give. My intention was to beam solid granite. For anyone who thought I was going to act like a coward. But she wasn’t…

Isabella said, “Do you get a ribbon when you’re old enough?”

“Yeah! You get it on your ninth birthday. Three into three, right Alia?”

I said, “As in the three genders?” without breaking our stare.

“Yeah! I’m just a girl, though.”

Alia said, “There was a time when families used to do it for everyone, each birthday. You’re supposed to, actually. Now we just do it when it’s important that you’re a girl, like with her.”

Riesa smiled to look at Isabella. It was like her face filled with warmth, without doing anything to the eyes. “Isabella, for your ninth birthday, you go to your grandparents’ village. You all have to wear traditional robes. Mine was so cute! The whole village put together decorations, just for me. They had my favorite color written down, I didn’t know about it, but they made all the streamers and lanterns that color.”

“What color is the ribbon?” Isabella said.

“The ribbon is always red,” she said. “And you tie it in the back, to make a ponytail. If you have short hair, you hang it on your neck in a kind of tied thing. Then you get dessert.”

“The ribbon,” I said, “is supposed to be from your village’s guardian pokémon, right? It’s like getting a blessing. ‘Who you are will break no more.’”

“Oh my god, that was in the recital for the ceremony! You’re right of course. I don’t even remember what my village’s guardian is…”

“It’s a foreign pokémon, baby doll. Easier to remember…” Alia said. “…”

“You don’t remember either do you!”

“Yes I do!”

“The ribbon is very important,” Riesa conceded after thinking about it. “The blessing behind it, I mean.”

“The blessing is something they’d just better give,” Alia said, “at this time. Begging the guardians’ pardon.”

“How come?” Atashka said. “What happened?”

“Of course nothing happened,” I said, “it’s about…” but I took time framing it.

“Isabella,” Riesa said, “they had dancing with all the children of the village, then just the girls. You know I had to remember so many names? That’s because the birthday girl has to give return gifts back to all the children.”

“Do you have to pick the gifts?”

“No! Thank god. They’re actually just sweets, I forgot what they were called. And in the evening, the girls take turns braiding chimes into your hair.”

“You must have looked soo pretty,” Isabella said.

She glowed, her eyes squeezing narrow. “Thank you! My hair is way too frizzy, I gave those kids a hard time…”

Riesa was out of my hands. And she didn’t need it. I was going to defeat Alia in battle tonight, for my own satisfaction. But my frustration at not performing, today for the first time I seemed to see above my usual vision. It was because Riesa’s and my mood came together, joined by a chain.

“Riesa, did you go on your journey soon after your ninth birthday?” Atashka said.

“Yeah, Atashka,” she said. “Very soon.”

“Was it exciting to go that quickly?”

“It really was good.”

“Our birthday comes in February. February sixth. When’s yours?”

“Mine is November first.”

“We’re gonna have a birthday party for you! Let’s get Mr. Yamada! And the Secret Circle.”

“That might be a little hard…”

“I know how we can treat her,” Alia said. “Don’t worry about that.”

“Riesa you’re staying with us right? Even after Mauville?”

“Of course Atashka. We’re training together.”

“Arauve you’re staying?”

It was a dead topic, so I didn’t look up. “We’re going the same way,” I said.

“Can I…” loud and shrill. “Would it be okay if I um… see Mauville with you guys?” Isabella said. “I don’t want to be… just that, I…”

“Of course it’s okay! Can we take Alia along? She knows Mauville better than I do!”

“Mm hm,” Isabella said.

“Great!” Alia said. “It’s a date then. We’re gonna party for a whole week!”

“Yay!” Atashka said. “Now it’s five people! Arauve, don’t you love big groups?”

Where we were, the Cycling Road was finally not visible anywhere. It was also difficult to make out the outline of the river; while on the left there was a pretty clear shore, the right was a seemingly indefinite mass of backwater hidden behind tree stalks and piles.

“Um,” Isabella said. “It’s getting a little dark.”

“We’re almost out of the woods, baby,” Alia said. It was true, it looked like we were going to run back into shore.

“There better not be a trainer now… Oh, no,” I said.

A big guy, in cargo pants and a white t-shirt, was scuffed all over with mud. He stood tall in the middle of the route waiting for us.

“Two weeks,” he said. “Two weeks of shuffling back and forth on this route. The Slateport-Mauville connecting road should be at the forefront of training technique! But no. In all my wanderings, not a single real trainer did I find!”

“Whatever dude, we’re not trainers,” Arauve said. “Leave us alone.”

He looked like he was rocket boosting from how short Arauve was. “Oho! Then what do I see dangling from her, chain belt…?”

We all looked at Alia. “Oh noo,” she said. “I’ve been caught red-handed,” and I giggled.

“A challenge…” He started toward us, bent forward. “A worthy match. It’s all I seek.”

“You’re a nerd,” Alia said. Arauve looked at her with… was she going to stop glaring at Alia already. “And I hate nerds. I’ll battle you. Atashka, you want to see my pokémon’s style?”

“Yeah! Yeah!” I said.

“I think I should offer a decent resistance,” she said, and holding a pokéball in front of her shoulder, flicked it out with her hand. “Go, Bruiser!”

When Andrew saw it, he burst out laughing. “You’re going to battle with THIS?

“You better get serious quick,” she said. “He’s my starter pokémon.”

“A poochyena? Seems like this battle won’t be worth it either. I, the great Andrew, am going to defeat you!”

Flash! Andrew sent out a lairon.

“Oh!” Riesa said. “Maybe Rideon should see this battle.”

“Better not to, Ree,” Alia said. “If you’re thinking about an aron, it’s just going to get bad memories.”

“Alia’s childhood pokémon all have the personality she used to have,” Riesa explained to us. “It’s amazing how good she was at finding pokémon like her.”

“Bruiser, want to start things off with a Tail Whip?”

He started moving when she said his name. It was amazing how he trotted in the undergrowth like it was down a straight one lane alley. When he got near he slowed down a lot, almost moving in place.

“Tail Whip!” Andrew said. “Well, you can try what you want. I won’t even grace you with a defensive move. Lairon, Headbutt!”

Now Bruiser moved when Andrew called Lairon’s name. Lairon seemed to want to shift but before that Bruiser was already a puff of black over its face. I couldn’t see where the tail was coming in. He nipped around the big pokémon to its back, confusing its attempt to reorient, then bit on a leg that made it roar.

“I thought you called Tail Whip?!” he said. “Control your pokémon!”

“He didn’t do damage, brother,” Alia said. “It’s a legal Tail Whip.”

“But he didn’t do anything?” Arauve said. Riesa looked back and raised her hands, smiling.

“Lairon, Headbutt! Headbutt!” His pokémon roared and charged at Bruiser, who was now at a good distance.

“How’s she going to respond…” Arauve said quietly.

The pokémon impacted and Bruiser squealed furiously. He was thrown around and a few steps back, but not off his feet.

“Hey Bruiser, are ya angry?” Alia said. “That ugly skunk! Are ya angry?”

He howled.

“That’s right! What do we do!”

“Headbutt again!” Andrew said. “I know your pokémon didn’t just shake it off!”

Bruiser reared back growling as his opponent approached. In the last moment, he jumped out of the way and howled again.

“Good job, Bruiser!” Alia said. She called him back in.

Every one on our side watched as she flashed out a lombre.

“Try to go easy on them. Eh, Marsh Breath?”

I glanced to see Arauve, who was having a stroke. The lombre knuckled forward in a way that looked just as evil as Bruiser. Andrew was definitely out of an idea, but he reacted quickly. “Lairon, don’t let them have a head start! Rock Tomb!”

“Nope, we’re faster,” Alia said.

Marsh Breath had leapt straight at the pokémon’s face. They impacted with a splash of dark energy, but unlike what I was expecting, it didn’t disintegrate; Lairon was thrown back but it stayed clamped on Lairon’s face as it struggled away. And Marsh Breath quickly darted to the side and pounced on it a second time, without darkness – straight at the steel armor.

Lairon was behaving like it was in a death grip with a much bigger pokémon. It went on stumbling on its four legs.

“Let, go already,” Andrew said. “You’re not dealing that much damage…”

The dark energy finally released. “Oh good,” Andrew said. Marsh Breath didn’t release, though. She kept on biting, somewhere on the shoulder – maybe a gap between two armor plates?

“Nope,” Alia said.

Marsh Breath’s face was scrunched up like an ant with nothing else on its mind. Lairon tried to ram forward – but it didn’t turn out well. One of its feet slipped and the entire 200 pounds capsized onto its side, Marsh Breath still holding on.

“It’s over!” Alia said. “You should call it off now. Don’t be overly cruel to your pokémon.”

“Y-you should think that yourself!”

He looked down at the struggle. I hadn’t really thought Lairon was so damaged either, but it seemed to be in a lot of exertion over something, kicking its feet, bad enough that it wasn’t even trying to get up.

“Okay. Okay, I forfeit! Lairon?”

Lairon was curling up into a ball.

“Hey, handle your pokémon!”

“Marsh Breath,” Alia said. “Marsh Breath! Let go…!” She recalled her mid bite. “You want to continue the battle?”

“No thank you!” he said. “You’re – you’re – what are you?!”

“Heal your pokémon,” she said. “It wasn’t his fault. Do you have medicine?”

“You’re right I have medicine,” he said, fumbling his pokéball inside and starting to stumble back. “It’s called getting away from you!”

Soon, everything was peaceful again. Alia shrugged and sighed.

I said, “What was that?”

Riesa just shook her head and said, “I’ve known her for that long and I don’t know either.”

“That… That…” Arauve was the slowest to talk. “Was that legal?” she demanded of Alia. “All of the moves, were they really legal?”

“Sure,” she said. “It was a legal battle. Mostly.”

“But you were on… a different plane! You guys were fighting two different battles.”

“Well, I wouldn’t necessarily want to do this in a League battle,” she conceded. “I’d like to get some League trainers to do this to in a battle, though…”

“Haha, Arauve actually understood what was going on,” Riesa said.

“I didn’t understand the first thing.”

“What’s there to understand?” Alia said. “It was a brawl.”

“Well, what was that last move?”

“It’s easy,” she said. “I’m going to make you guess.”

Arauve hmphed and went quiet.

“Bite?” I said.

“Atashka it obviously wasn’t Bite,” Riesa said.

“Crunch?”

“Whatever,” Arauve said. Alia gave her a cool grin.

The end of the route was a new grassy river’s corner. On the side a berry tree was planted, and a man was standing beside the road to Mauville, not a trainer. It was hardly anything. “Where’s the skyline?” I said.

“No skyline for Mauville,” Alia said. “This is it.”

It was a wide road opening between the fences of two lawns. And like that, a row of dark houses started, in an old looking cobbled street. It didn’t look big enough to be Mauville.

“It’s actually cold now!” I said. “Riesa, are you feeling drafty?”

“No, I’m warm,” she said. “Isabella, how are you?”

“Good.”

“We’re going downtown,” Alia said. “Riesa, I bet you want to see your mom and dad soon as possible.”

Riesa looked at her without saying anything.

“Otherwise, you stay at my place today. A three room garbage bin on the second floor.”

She smiled.

“See, I knew it,” Alia said. “Does that mean everyone is ready for a sleepover? Isabella.”

She’d been watching the whole time, but not talking. This made her start.

“We won’t bother you that much, don’t worry. I know it’s not your party. Where are you staying? Pokémon Center?”

“Yeah… Actually,” she said. “I haven’t got any…”

“Hmm? Have you got relatives?”

“No, I don’t really have anywhere to stay.”

“Any ideas?”

“Um… What about you guys?”

“We’re. Are you asking if you want to sleep over?”

“Yeah…”

“Nice! But how’re you going to spend the night with three scary big kids? Aren’t you scared of what they’ll do to you?”

“No!” she said defiantly. “I’m not scared!”

“Hahaha, good answer. Huh, that means I’m gonna have to clean up after all. Not for Riesa. Do you guys know that Riesa actually loves ruined rooms?”

“No way!” I said. “We went to her Center room in Slateport, right Arauve?”

“She’d arranged the stationery on the corner table,” Arauve smirked.

“Wha – ” Riesa said. “The room came like that!”

The border of this neighborhood was a small, artificial looking canal you had to cross. On the other side it got more developed, but they were all boring storefronts.

“Well, it wasn’t like how ours was arranged.”

“That’s right,” Alia said. “But you should see what she’s like when she thinks she has no one to get in trouble with.”

“I’m…” Riesa shrugged intellectually. “I’m over that now.”

“How old are you two?” Alia said. “Are you twins?”

Riesa said, “I never even said they were related.”

“Ha ha!”

I straightened my shoulders to come close to Arauve’s height. She didn’t do the same so it didn’t really match anything. “Yeah we’re twins,” I said, without looking to see if Arauve was also watching her watch us.

Alia looked at us very honestly and softly. Then she looked down slightly deadpan and said, “You don’t look identical.”

“That’s – we’re not identical twins!” Arauve yelled.

“Ha ha ha!”

“It’s called fraternal. God, nobody will ever look it up!”

Alia’s room was just like she said. It was better than a garbage heap, but it was crammed on the second story of a narrow, half-residential street in a busy corner of Mauville, and we got there when it was getting dark. You had to take the back staircase of a fast food joint that was underneath her apartment. The inside was surprisingly cozy, though. Once she cleaned out the largest room to lay mattresses, it was mostly just tables and boxes of books, heavy looking equipment, and strange foreign souvenirs – a tarnished Sea Incense was sitting over my side of the room. We took turns in the bath, and then delivery came for dinner. So this is how an adult lives.

What kind of food does Mauville have? Riesa and Isabella were totally used to it. It was battered pieces of vegetables, stewed in a hot sauce. Alia said it wasn’t even Hoenn food (it was from the kitchen underneath). It’s true, because Hoenn food is sour, salty and watery with lots of fish and curry. But this was just the thing in Mauville.

“Alia are you still trying to star in that show?” Riesa said. “She was trying to get a role in a TV show. It was some really intense street fighting thing.”

“It was street romance,” she said. “And I gave up ages ago. Emmy left,” she smiled sideways.

“Emmy…!” Riesa said, smiling with her. “Alia, do you ever try doing work for an honest reason?! It was Emmy!”

“Hey, I have four badges,” she said.

“I bet you were just trying to look impressive,” she said. “You wanted to walk up to Flannery with four badges and ask for her number.”

“Flannery?! Who said I liked Flannery?”

“Okay you didn’t, but I just said it, because…”

“Because? Because you…?”

Riesa shook her head guiltily. “Obviously not!”

“Admit it!”

“She’s just… an inspirational Gym Leader! A-and what about Emmy? Did you actually think you were going to ask Emmy out?”

“Who’s Emmy?” Arauve said annoyed.

“She’s a pop star. She made an album when she was 16. Arauve, she’s famous.”

“Never heard of her.”

“Famous in Mauville.”

“In Mauville…” Arauve shook her head.

“Anyway,” Alia said. “Where Alia gets her money is not the subject for today. And it’s eleven. Good kids like you are already getting sleepy.”

“I don’t sleep at eleven,” Riesa said.

“Arauve, when did you people sleep in Slateport?”

“Uh,” she said. “Ten thirty I personally, start,”

“Knew it,” Alia said.

“I don’t know what she…” Riesa yelled.

“Hush,” Alia said. “Early morning tomorrow. If we’re lucky and we meet you to your parents, I might get to show you around the city.”

“I already know the city, Alia,” Riesa said, giggling stupidly, “I grew up in Mauville, Alia,”

“You won’t be saying that when I take you to Game Street. I was talking for the benefit of the other kids.”

“Imagine if I forced Isabella to meet my mom and dad,” Riesa said.

“I’m sure she’d love that,” Alia said. “Huh… Oh. She’s already asleep.”

We got tired and yawny even though it had been a picnic day. I got to sleep next to Riesa, but because Arauve wanted to sleep next to Riesa too, she went to her other side. Isabella’s hair and Alia’s kneecap was the scenery around the head of my mattress. Like in Rustboro, the noise and light kept filtering in from the street the entire night, but it was easy to get used to it.

Last edited:

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Arauve I don’t remember how many hours it is but I don’t like the idea of taking that grass route in the dark,” I shook my head, “it’ll be icky to navigate.

Oh no doubt. Granted, I'd probably be too chicken to go through it at any hour. Tall grass contains ticks and such.

It also contains actual monsters with actual powers in this case, but. Nope, still more apprehensive about the ticks.

You could have found the ocean twenty or thirty years ago, at the end of a street in a neighborhood near the city, or on the road between two villages beside a country path, or entering the gate of a university, carrying a messenger bag.

You ar now picturing Kyogre carrying a messenger bag.

It wasn’t that I didn’t have other options. Or maybe it was that the real choice was already too obvious. But when you chose it it immediately started feeling like the easiest and worst choice. No matter how much thought might have gone into it.

There are probably lots of choices that fall under that category.

“You should have seen what the poochyena did to me when I went out in the route.”

“Shouldn’t have been on the route in the first place, Alia,” Riesa said.

She blew a raspberry.

Good response.

“It’s a foreign pokémon, baby doll. Easier to remember…” Alia said. “…”

“You don’t remember either do you!”

“Yes I do!”

Do you, Alia?

Do you?

Every one on our side watched as she flashed out a lombre.

“Try to go easy on them. Eh, Marsh Breath?”

Why do I suspect Marsh Breath earned that name a little too well?

Related: is mouthwash for pokémon a thing? Because if not, maybe it oughta be. X3

“Heal your pokémon,” she said. “It wasn’t his fault. Do you have medicine?”

“You’re right I have medicine,” he said, fumbling his pokéball inside and starting to stumble back. “It’s called getting away from you!”

Pffff... That's another good response right there.

a tarnished Sea Incense was sitting over my side of the room

Wonder what that smells like...

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Oh no doubt. Granted, I'd probably be too chicken to go through it at any hour. Tall grass contains ticks and such.

It also contains actual monsters with actual powers in this case, but. Nope, still more apprehensive about the ticks.

You can tell how badass someone is in the pokemon world solely from how many bites they have on their arm at that point.

You ar now picturing Kyogre carrying a messenger bag.

I love you Kyogre mom..

Why do I suspect Marsh Breath earned that name a little too well?

Related: is mouthwash for pokémon a thing? Because if not, maybe it oughta be. X3

I bet dental health for pokemon must be a thing! And I also think it's a concept Alia has never heard of XD

Wonder what that smells like...

Now that I think of it, probably as though Slateport is not thinking of leaving them for one more day.

EDIT: Hang tight, kids! I don't have any good date for you yet about the next chapter, but I finally realized. I didn't have a PM list originally because (don't laugh) I was going to update every Sunday. Now that it's so sporadic, it might be a convenience for readers. So,

IF YOU WANT TO BE ADDED TO THE PM LIST, JUST SEND ME A PM/VM/REPLY ON THIS THREAD. I promise I'll actually remember!

Last edited:

Rediamond

Middle of nowhere
Hello. I finally finished this.

My thoughts on it more or less align with those Negrek expressed earlier in the thread. In short: You're a good writer, you have very good ideas, but sometimes you end up biting off more than you can chew.

To start with the good things: there's some value to a meta take on the absurdities of the Pokemon World in a story that isn't comedy. While they often don't last long or seem to have much long term value (gym rules, details of academies, and turn systems haven't come up since Rustboro), they're interesting parts at the time. And from Slateport on I actually quite like your world-building. I can buy Hoenn as a place with its own geography, customs, etc. Trainers that mostly act their age (Arauve is an exception I'll talk about later) are good, as are young kids mostly just hanging out with young kids rather than befriending champions and such.

But the story fundamentally suffers readability problems at some points. I could understand the story on multiple read-throughs, but if I wasn't determined to return the review I probably would not have taken the time because it's genuinely frustrating. There is a difference between making readers work hard to grasp the full meaning and making them work hard to understand anything going on. And at points you fall in to the first category.

The first time I noticed this was almost immediately after the prologue and introductory chapter (which were good, by the way). In the very early phases of the story the narrators sound identical. This later gets fixed, but at the start the narrators flipping inside of the same chapter combined with nigh-identical voices made me really have to read hard to make sure I never skipped an asterisk, and sometimes after reading a couple chapters at a time I would have to stop because it just became too annoying to realize that perspective had flipped and I had totally missed it. Again.

Then the narrators diversify around the second Petalburg arc. And during that period I really, really liked Arauve's narration. And Atashka's was also good. Truth be told, if the story had remained told in that style—flipping between narrators with roughly those voices—I might end the review here. Because that, in my opinion, is about as good as the story ever got stylistically, and was enough to convince me to respect your writing whatever followed. Sure, Arauve sounded too old for her age but it was a memoir-type story of sorts, so it was forgivable.

And then came the Rustboro Gym chapter. Did Atasha's battle get shown? How and why did Arauve win? Why was this in dispute? When, exactly, did she run away? And why, why, why would a battle chapter be entirely dialogue? I understood almost none of it (and still don't) and was actually in physical pain at one point when trying to follow what happened. By the time we got to the next chapter and I found out that, apparently, Arauve had run away and Atashka was now friends with Megan I was done. I get that the story, particularly around that arc, was an in-universe author throwing things at the wall to see what stuck. But the meta cleverness of it (and other things around there—did the Wally/Sapphire thing really need to get introduced during an already confusing point in the story? Was that real? Did it happen?) was superseded by the sheer difficulty in even following the basic plot of the story for me. Furthermore, did Arauve ever travel up North? If not, what was the point of the scenes where she had a Marshtomp and Skarmory? Or the three starters when Treeko got kidnapped?

Once Slateport happened, the story got dramatically better. There was weirdness, but I could at least follow what was going on. Mostly. Truth be told, I still think flipping between narrators with relatively similar styles within the span of one chapter is just more confusing than beneficial. There's a reason almost every story who switches POV does so at the chapter mark.

BUT BESIDES THAT both main characters are back, I like Reisa (although I'm worried you're adding too many new characters too quickly with Wally, Aila, Isabelle, the secret circle, etc.), Slateport world-building was good, I actually like what you did with Arauve's character after giving her some time away, and Mauville is looking like it will be pretty cool. Things are definitely looking better now that you're focusing on the fundamentals and not trying to be too clever with things at the expense of good storytelling. But for the sake of future archive readers, I highly recommend going back and cleaning up some of the earlier parts of the story.

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
So, the fic went on another half year hiatus. I'm sorry that I always drop out so abruptly, I think I go back and forth on my motivations kind of too much to maintain a writing presence. This year and the end of the last, I found myself in a lot of different positions wrt writing, and some things made me believe I had the luxury to give up writing permanently. Now here I am again begging at the door, so to speak.

Rediamond, I'm so glad you decided to spend time to read and review what, of course, is a pretty hard story to get through! It seems that the worst parts of the story for you were written during a time when I was working on a little less actual feeling and more of a writing deadline, and I did get bogged down in my own machinations a bit. I do put a lot of weird stuff in the most recent chapters too, but as you said you could follow what was going on, so the trouble seems to be primarily about explaining the plot clearly enough. I'm sorry that the presentation of the plot was so confusing, that the lack of clarity about what was going on was painful enough to wipe out all the enjoyment of the story! I actually haven't started rifling through the Page 1 chapters yet, I've been reviewing the more recent ones for now. Plot arrangement is a lot of technical work that it's easy to procrastinate on. But I definitely will work to make it much less difficult to read!

As for what's next, I am making a little bit of headway on the next chapter, so we might have something in a week or two. It's definitely moving in the direction you like; I'm no mean fan of the fundamentals myself. I won't let up on the POV changes though because it's the best idea I've had in years. ;P

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Mauville is busy, busy! Riesa looked excited to be back. We went out way late in the morning and the traffic outside Alia’s house was so bad, she took our hands to cross it. The pokémon had opted out of city travel, except for Rola, who feared nothing. This is the layout, what Alia said. All the blocks that are close to the TV Studios are called the TV Studio area, because that’s why they’re so busy and half the residents work there. But more west, closer to the heart of the city, you have the state buildings. Riesa’s prep school was there too. Mauville is a crossroad city, and the two highways where people from outside pass it, are the places they made to look the nicest.

And Riesa’s home – it definitely wasn’t close. It was a housing project in the more uptown part of the city, close to Cycling Road. That’s why Alia had gnashed her teeth about leaving Isabella back at her house – but she was with almost all of our pokémon, and she said she’d enjoy exploring the area. If things went well we might be moving again in the evening.

The street Alia’s house was on was pretty narrow, but it went on for a long time. You could keep walking along the buildings with the traffic roaring on your other side, but every now and then a large family or a crowd of scarfed city pokémon would come out from somewhere and swamp you.

Riesa said, “Aren’t you going to the closer metro?” as we came onto an intersection where the view finally got a little bit clearer. All four corners were lined with big shop buildings and eating joints.

“Relax, Ree,” Alia said. “I know where I’m heading.” Some huge wave was coming far ahead from the road on our right. Vaguely we could hear shouting and out-of-rhythm drumming.

Alia leaned further into the road to catch the glint of slow moving vans. “Aouuuugh,” she moaned. “ This route is no good. I guess we have to take the other station.”

Riesa said, “Student elections? Now?”

“Ha. I doubt it. No, it’s a union thing. They want Kirzu out of office now.”

Riesa snorted. “I knew he wouldn’t last.”

“It was in the news yesterday. ‘Uncontrolled Civil Unrest in TV East!’”

“Oh, maaaaan.” Riesa hummed sweetly. “I wish I didn’t have to report to my folks today. I have to look all respectable. I’d like to show them some civil unrest – ”

“Riesa!” Alia said laughing. The two of us were better dressed than Riesa for the first time I’d ever seen. She hadn’t showered or barely combed her hair before we went out. She was wearing an oversize sweater that was probably Alia’s, and track pants. We watched the other corner of the intersection quietly. The road still wasn’t looking crossable.

“Here you go, I’m rescuing you,” Alia said suddenly. “Think fast,” but she waited for Riesa to put her hands up. Something blue and floppy jumped into her grip. She held it up.

“Niice!” she said, her sleepy eyes lighting up. She put the baseball cap on backwards over her long hair.

“Oh, Alia,” she said, as we went across to the road away from the procession. “I didn’t know I missed the city so much.”

“You almost never got to know it!” said Alia. “You had a toddler’s introduction, then you left.”

“That’s not true, I was nine,” she said reproachfully. “But you’re right. I kind of… stayed at home all the time after you left.”

We left the busy road to go into a more peaceful alley. I said, “Riesa you lived here your whole life?”

“Yeah?” she said incredulously.

“How?”

“Haha Atashka. I guess it’s a mystery.”

Instead of two story shop houses, they were proper homes and had gardens. Sometimes there were empty plots. It was still a narrow road. On our other side, the clear fence of a big sports lawn opened up. I felt a breath of yellow sunlight.

“You two really must be wired a different way. I don’t think I’d like it even if I was born here.”

“Aw, there are a lot of things to like about Mauville! It’s one of the biggest cities after all.”

Arauve said, “It has a kind of vulgar energy.”

“Who’re you calling indecent,” Alia rumbled.

We turned another corner. Suddenly a cloud of brown and beige feathers lifted off. Arauve scrunched her face at the wind.

“Was that pidgey?” They’d been hanging out in a kind of concrete courtyard, but there weren’t any left to confirm.

“Yeah,” Alia said, almost gloatingly. “Mauville has pidgey, why?”

“A foreign pokémon? Do I even want to ask?”

“Hah, they’re supposed to be all abandoned pokémon. Pets, maybe. By now they’re anything but tame.”

“You can catch them if you want,” Riesa said. “It’s the only location in Hoenn for wild pidgey.”

Arauve just mouthed silently for a second. “Why on earth…?” she got out.

“Come on, let’s go fast,” Alia said. “I need to sound to your folks like I wake up early.”

“You did wake up early today,” Riesa said. “Early for you. We woke up late.”

“Riesa I’m gonna show up at your place a few days from now and see how early you wake up.”

“She wasn’t anything like this when she was with us,” I told Alia. “Honest. Who are you really?”

“Hee hee!” Riesa looked very energetic. “You don’t know me.”

“Okay it was shorter than I thought,” Alia said. We’d only gotten further into the middle of nowhere. The houses had lingered for a while, but now they gave out into a huge open field. The only place the road seemed to go on to was a big-looking building.

“What…” Riesa said. “Is this new?”

It was the metro! All I could see from here was the two-story front of the station. Alia herded us into the entrance hall and we wandered into the huge seated space while she bought tokens. There were a few office workers from their lunch break here. A mother graveler chaperoned for a pack of normal-type runts.

“Let’s go.”

We winded through what must have been every part of both floors on escalators. Finally, the smooth slim monorail came buzzing in just as we reached the station platform, under a glass roof for the rain. It was also hardly filled.

“Haha, the trains got dirty,” Riesa said. “Took them long enough.”

Out of the platform the metro opened up into the blue outside: at first, a grass expanse, then crossing some canals, a silent bridge over the close clutter of dark concrete boxes with slope roofs. Alia said, “Atashka. How do you like the city? Too busy?”

I shifted while smiling, like Riesa. “I wouldn’t like to live here… But it’s really nice to visit. Riesa, I’m glad we got to see this part of you.”

“I’m really glad too!”

“That nervousness from before…” I said. “Just silly now, right?”

“Yeah!”

“It wasn’t anything like you were expecting.”

“It was so easy! I didn’t know that’s all I had to do.” She turned aside, because Alia was watching.

Alia said, “Here’s a vacation for you. After this you can get back to your training.”

“Yeah… The training,” Riesa said.

“You have been training, right? Or… fufufu…” Alia remembered something. “You guys will be planning to take on Wattson, won’t you?”

“What? Wattson?” Riesa started laughing. “How can you even say that! Defeating Wattson! As if I’d ever want to do that!”

“Yeah, yeah, butter him up,” Alia said. “He won’t care if he’s the pride of the city while he’s pummeling you.”

“I agreed to the League, but I never agreed to beating Wattson! Oh no,” she went silent. “This is getting personal.”

“Hahaha Riesa,” Alia said. “How many badges do you guys have? I hope you can at least beat my record.”

“We haven’t traveled enough yet to beat your record,” Arauve said. “Anyway, a badge… is an ordinary thing. You can get a badge anytime you want.”

“Sounds like someone doesn’t have any badges…” Alia said.

“I have two!” I said. “Arauve has…”

“One.”

“Oh, it’s okay. It’s not like I’m exactly mad for badges either.”

“Arauve just travels around in the wilderness,” I said. “She doesn’t like any cities or routes. She’s a wild pokémon.”

“Oh, nice.”

“As if he even knows,” Arauve said.

“Did you guys start out together? Or did you split up after a while.”

“Yeah, we started out together,” I said. “And we split up later on. Our dad wanted us to stick together.” I got hit by a hammer. “I didn’t even talk to Dad. Arauve?”

“Shush,” she said, “I called him the day after we all moved in in Slateport. He was. Overjoyed about the moving.”

“What?” I couldn’t focus on anything. “How did you call him and I… Arauve, is the world ending?” Oh I can use that. “Haha it was Arauve, so nobody even knew you called him. Before or after. Didn’t Dad have any messages for us?”

“No.”

“He didn’t want to say anything?”

“He wanted to meet Riesa.”

Alia said, “When did youuu meet? Riesa and you two.”

“She met me first,” I said. ”That was when we were going separately. I was in Dewford and Arauve was in… somewhere. After she left Rustboro. And then Riesa was in…”

“You might as well start from the beginning,” Arauve said.

“In that case do I tell her about Team Aqua?”

Arauve and Alia’s gazes met.

“Yes,” Arauve smiled, “I bet that’ll interest her.”

“Our dad got us three starters to choose from,” I said. “So I picked Grovyle and Arauve picked Mudkip. Then we went to Prof. Birch in Littleroot. He gave us research work to do: two pokédexes. But I haven’t even opened them since we left haha. Then we went back home, to Petalburg, and tried to cross to Rustboro.

“But, in Rustboro we found a member of Team Aqua. Do you know what Team Aqua is?”

“I’ve heard of them. You’re saying…”

“Yep,” Arauve said. “We met a Team Aqua Grunt. We didn’t just meet him, we interrupted a robbery. And we didn’t just interrupt, we stopped it.”

“What?”

“Arauve said it, so you know we’re not making fun,” Riesa said.

“I mean… it wasn’t like we were that strong already,” Arauve said, “we just got lucky. That happens in professional battles all the time. And…”

“No, I get that,” Alia said. “But didn’t you think it was outside your hands? I mean I don’t mean it rudely, just…”

I said, “It’s not like we thought anything! It just happened, it wasn’t Arauve’s fault we got into a battle. The businessman pushed us into it.”

“The who?” Her eyebrows were up at the businessman.

“It was like… There was a messenger going to Devon in Rustboro, and he got caught by a Team Aqua Grunt. They wanted the device he was carrying. So when we walked in on them, the messenger tried to get us to fight for him.”

“Are you serious? Did he know you?”

“Well… no. And then it’s not like you can do anything. The grunt got interested in us. It was a good thing Arauve kept her head, honestly.”

“That’s. That’s kind of messed up,” Alia said. Her eyes fell, though. “Sorry. I was just surprised is all. Did you guys do anything to… did you report it to anyone?”

“We told our dad,” I said. “And obviously he almost wanted us back home.”

“Yeah,” she said dimly. “I get how it is. God, that sucks. I’m so sorry about that.”

“It wasn’t… It wasn’t that bad?” I said. “I mean it was scary then, but we didn’t think it was so bad. Should we…?”

“Oh, I guess not,” she said. “Then what happened? Tell me some more.”

“We got to Rustboro. And we waited for a few weeks to train for the Gym match. It wasn’t very fun there. I think me and Arauve were okay with leaving home, but stopping up there, the first part of the journey, wasn’t… It wasn’t so exciting.”

Arauve said, “I think I was realizing how much I didn’t like being responsible for someone.”

“Maybe,” I said. Arauve mouthed ‘Maybe?’ “Then the day of the match, we were both going to battle in the same day. Arauve beat Roxanne. Then while we were going back for lunch, she found another Team Aqua Grunt running toward the Rusturf Cave. She cornered him there and beat him and took the hostage pokémon back. Then she gave me the goods he’d stolen. I think after a week of not traveling it was like Petalburg, and I just went along with whatever Arauve said. Good or bad, I believed her. She gave me the goods, then she ran away without telling me. To Verdanturf.”

“I,” Arauve said. “I’m! Alia, I’m not gonna say that didn’t happen…”

“No, hush, I’m not thinking anything!” Alia said. “Honest to god, I’m not thinking anything about you. Are you doubting? Well you’ll know what it’s like when you’re seventeen and talking to kids the age you are.”

“That doesn’t mean…”

“I’ll hear it from you, too if you want,” Alia said. “Let your brother finish.”

“Dad was pretty nice about it,” I said. “He’d been planning out our route for the next few towns. Our Uncle Briney has a boat so he could take us to Slateport via Dewford. He let me take that route. And Arauve he told me to leave her alone. After that, I just stayed in Rustboro for a while.” I turned to see Arauve, she could have all of it. “I said I’d just been going along with what Arauve said, so then she left, so…” That’s enough. “I have a friend there, Meg, she was really good for me. She kept taking me out and making me talk. She saw me off to Dewford too.”

“And in Dewford,” Riesa said, “he met me!”

“Yeah Alia,” I said. “She was so cute. And weird and cute. Can you imagine?”

“I can imagine exactly what you’re saying,” Alia said.

“She had hair that was so huge and puffy. Almost as huge as right now, but Dewford really makes it better. And… well.” I remembered her and tried to see her look. “Maybe we’ll talk about it some other time.”

Riesa smiled with her eyes closed. “It’s okay! But we can talk about it better later on.”

“I’ve obviously got a lot to catch up on,” Alia said.

“Riesa made everything so much better,” I said.

“Aww, you guys made it so much better for me!” Riesa said.

Alia of course was watching and hearing. She said, “Are you still going on someone else’s say now?”

“You know it’s weird,” I said. “I’m not actually doing anything, but it really feels different. Me and Arauve and Riesa sit together and decide anything we want to do next. We’re out here already, so we can do something…”

“No goal, huh? That’s great. Same as my four badges.”

Arauve asked me, “What do you want? I know you went along with what I said. You never wanted anything?”

I looked at her again, but she wasn’t going to look down or anything.

“Fun?” I said. “A fun journey? I don’t care what happens or who plans or whatever. We wanted to have fun and we didn’t in Rustboro. Isn’t that… and I just don’t know, why not? Is it wrong?”

“No,” Alia said, like she was straining to hear something and not drown out its sound. “No, you’re right.”

Riesa looked at Arauve. “Arauve got such a bad reputation from this. I’ve known her for a while too, you know. I think she’s cool!”

Arauve didn’t return her gaze, and she said nothing.

“Well, when you consider that you had to leave all your family and friends, go off route to a place that’s not even allowed, and train… It sounds brave?” Alia said.

“Aren’t we near the station yet,” Arauve said.

“Oh. Yeah, I think we should be getting ready,” Riesa said. “But we don’t have to stop talking!”

“No, it’s okay,” Alia said. We got up as the train slowed down, Alia holding Riesa’s shoulder. This station was on the ground floor. It had a much bigger hall waiting in front of the train, gleaming tile with yellow panel lights. It was called Hornib West.

“It looks like we’re in a different city,” I said. The station descended on the street behind curly black fencing. The road and sidewalks were brown paved, and wide, single story shop fronts with glass panels lined the street. We started walking down the right and felt like the street was empty, despite how many people there were, because of the size. Alia said, “Your parents got this lease very later on, didn’t they.”

“Yeah, maybe they thought their daughter was moving out, so they should retire. You wouldn’t even have been there.”

“I’ve been talking to your parents all the time, don’t you worry.”

“Honestly I started staying home once I moved here. All my friends were in Kula Board.”

“Oh! Kula Board,” Alia reminisced. “Loved those kids.”

Pretty soon the size of the buildings got bigger and bigger, even though the streets never got any less posh. We were looking at five or six story condos blocking out the light.

“Riesa?” I said, looking at her ratty sweater. “Maybe you should have wore a suit and tie for this…?”

“Ha ha I don’t care about them!” she said. “I’m just going home. They’ll be overjoyed to see me.”

“I’m more worried about us…” Arauve said.

An operatic concrete building, a small reception, elevator, open corridor balcony. Alia rang the bell.

“Good, afternoon Mr. Ferinn!” Alia said.

The golden pool light of the Ferinn condo. We saw a lobby ahead and a living room just inside on the left. A kitchen at the end of the lobby gave all the lighting behind Mr. Ferinn’s head.

“Oh Alia. It’s lovely to see you. Got up a little earlier than usual today, huh?”

“Yeah!” she smiled, and sent a look up to the sky in the interval where we came inside.

“Riesa…” Her dad pulled her into a hug while we were still halfway in the door. Mrs. Ferinn was coming out of the dining room. “You won’t get to leave now. I let you leave and instantly regretted it.”

“Mm m!” Riesa said.

“Don’t pamper her,” her mom said smiling.

“What if I want to be pampered.”

“Then don’t smother her. Good thing, you made it before lunch. We were starting to wonder if you were coming. Did you make some friends?”

“Yeah! It’s Atashka and Arauve. You know about them.”

“Well, it’s very nice to meet you, master and miss,” Mr. Ferinn said. He insisted on shaking our hands. “Come on, you can get refreshed and then we’ll talk.”

We got raspberry sherbet with ice right off the hallway, after washing our faces. But to sit down took a few more minutes of talking. Mrs. Ferinn said, “Riesa, I told your friends you were coming home, they’re waiting in the drawing room.”

“Mama…” she said regretfully. “Wait, which friends? I don’t have friends.”

“Don’t be silly. It’s Eliza and, what’s their name. That polite child who always wears braids. Don’t keep them waiting.”

Their drawing room was very golden. Her friends were on a plush sofa along the longer wall, looking quietly up at a television. There was something to eat on the table.

“GIRRRLS!” Riesa yelled. The friends looked up and barely got up before Riesa hugged them. “I missed you. Guys, these are my friends in Hornib. I met them just before my girl years. This is Eliza, and this is Maya.”

Eliza had round glasses, she wore a dress and frock that looked like it was an old time sleeping gown. Maya was no longer in black braids; they had chin length hair and wore scene clothes. But very toned down. All I got from their appearances was that they came from the same rich address as Riesa.

“How have you been?!” Riesa was demanding. “How did you even do school without me?”

“I missed your notes a lot, Riesa,” Maya said placatingly. “But we did it. You won’t even take your shoes off on the rug?”

“Let it go,” she said. “Atashka, so.” She turned to me excitedly. “Eliza I met first because she was in my class and she always got partnered with me. She’s the one who’s super organized and well mannered and does all her project work with extra crayons. Maya was a friend of Eliza’s but. They needed me to really bring the three of us together. I just figure that trans girls need to stick together, even in school.”

“Riesa and I go way back,” Maya said. “Alia, hello! It’s good to see you.”

“Hey Maya. Hey Eliza.”

“Alia doesn’t know either of you,” Riesa said.

“Of course I do,” Alia said. “I always talk to them.”

“Alia knows everyone,” Maya said. “Riesa, based on if my mom says yes, we might get to spend the night over here.”

“I’m not sleeping here!” Riesa said. “I’m sleeping with Alia! We’re tearing up this city while I’m here!”

“I guess we could go to see the Crystal mall later on…” Eliza said.

“How long are you here then, Riesa?” Maya said.

“Come over to Alia’s place!” Riesa said. “I’m a trainer now. I’m defeating Wattson!”

“You’re not defeating Wattson…” Maya said.

“I’ll have fun with you guys,” Riesa said. “Obviously. But…”

“Riesa,” Eliza said. “We wanted to hang out here today, play some board games, and sleep over. Tomorrow we can do the shopping stuff. Alia’s stuff is fun but it gets tiring for us.”

Riesa let the room go silent for a glum while as she considered that.

“Well, you can at least wait until after lunch!” Mrs. Ferinn was in the doorway. “I don’t know how you three run on empty. Come in the dining room. Well, wait.”

“We can get some extra chairs in the dining room, Mama.”

“No, it will be cramped. You can eat in front of the TV today.”

“Yess.”

TV for the first time since forever. I briefly smelled the A/V monitor in the movie room at home where Arauve and I had bean bags to drink milk on in the evening. Then I smiled at everyone in Riesa’s TV room. Maya had a short white streak at the top of their forehead, and wide set eyes that they put on you fully at a time. Eliza was a brunette and made herself up cutely, two side tails and brown makeup. Lunch was curry rice with a side of roasted vegetables and we didn’t talk much while we were eating, we had the TV too. When Emmy came on the commercials Riesa nudged me and grunted at the screen. Is this the kind of girls Riesa and Alia like. I thought it makes sense for so many people to like girls, because girls are pretty.

“So Maya,” I said. “Are you and Eliza still doing school?”

Maya swallowed their food before they talked. “We’re in secondary, yes. Training is just not for me. It’s the same way Riesa knows training is for her. I’m going to study law and Eliza is thinking about doing science.”

I looked shocked. “You guys already know what you’re going to do?”

“Uh yeah Atashka,” Arauve said, “the trainers are the only ones who don’t.”

“I mean we haven’t committed yet!” Maya said. “Eliza hasn’t actually studied real science. And I haven’t done law yet. But that’s what we filled in our Future Dreams form, anyway.”

“Haha they’re joking you Atashka,” Riesa said. “Maya and Eliza knew what they were put on this earth to do since Prep. They had it together, you know what I mean?”

“Did you sit in the student council and all?”

“No way!” Maya said. “We’ve never done any real work. We used to have kind of a weird perspective of the world when Riesa was still around. When I was eight, we thought we were supposed to be Revolutionary.”

Riesa laughed. “Oh no! I forgot that!”

“That was mostly Riesa’s idea,” Eliza said.

“What was,” Maya said. “I think over that year we all had a lot of ideas.”

“I mean the big one. The Revolution for Good,” she hesitated, “I can’t say it.”

“What? What’s that?” I said. “Riesa, now I have to know.”

“Oh gosh…” she said. “Some other time, okay. That’s amazing. I didn’t even remember how big we used to be when we were all together. I miss that. Eliza, you’ve softened up. And Maya too. Just the Crystal Mall and then spend the night here. Really.”

“We used to stay at home then too!” they said.

“Riesa, you can’t always be seven and a half,” Eliza said. “After a certain age you have to start doing things in a more refined way. That’s just growing up.” Riesa was mocking her, because she stuck out her tongue.

“Listen Eliza,” Riesa said. “At least come and walk around with us in the evening. I still have to show Atashka and Arauve a lot of things. Please?”

She didn’t seem like she was opposed, she just sighed right away. “We ought to decide our itinerary today. We’ll just have to come to a compromise. That’s the only way not to upset someone, Riesa.”

“Yeah, I know,” she said. “Let’s compromise. We can all stay over here tonight. Fine? But Alia is with us.”

“I am?” she said.

“Unless you don’t like the idea.”

“Well. It’s the weekend, so it’s not like I can’t spare.”

“Good,” Riesa said. “Now you compromise.”

Maya smiled. “What do you wanna do, Riesa.”

“Something you guys are good at doing, too. But it has to be fun. No grown up antics.”

Eliza said, “Whatever we decide, Alia is going to be bored you know.”

“What a crummy attitude!” Riesa said. “What does that even mean? When did you decide Alia is going to be bored? Does she get to speak for herself?”

“Riesa, I have been speaking,” Alia said quietly. “Let’s not get carried away. How about I take the decision away from you three. Until evening, Riesa gets to sit at home and be bored enough that maybe she actually talks to her friends properly. In the evening, we go out, but no metro and no car. We can all sleep in Riesa’s house which is a ton more appealing to me than the old bachelorette pad. Tomorrow, shopping, but we get to go where Riesa says. Then I’ll indulge her with what she wants. You can come along, or if you’re feeling tired, we’ll drop you home.”

Maya put their hand down. “Good by me. Eliza, what do you say?”

“That sounds fine,” she said.

I said, “What about Isabelle?”

Alia paused. “Oof. That doesn’t give her any good options. Either she gets all of us or she gets no one. I’m definitely going to call her if we’re here in the afternoon.”

Arauve said, “She’s going to say yes whatever you tell her.”

Alia said, “I know. So I have to think about how to put it… Why can’t she just have family in Mauville.”

“What’s with all the intense discussion?” Mr. Ferinn said from the door. We told him.

“Have you ever wanted to stay at a Pokémon Center?” he said. “In this neighborhood they’re pretty decent. Of course, there’s a café and game room on the ground floor. What do you say to that?”

We looked at each other. Alia said, “Okay, it’s up to me to find out whether Isabelle likes it.”

“No wandering outside though,” he said. “If you do decide. And you keep us updated.”

“Of course, Mr. Ferinn,” Alia said.

After lunch, the grownups went to sleep and Alia went away to talk to Isabelle, so it was my privilege to watch the three girls from Hornib Primary in action. Atashka’s as well. We moved to the lounge, which was the room with the most sunlight, not more than a single lamp on, cushioned with thick rugs and low leather sitting cushions. A board game was proposed.

“I can’t remember whether Zangoose & Seviper is in my house or you have it.”

Noncommittal heaving from the closet, which was just big enough to stand in. “It’s definitely not here.”

“What, then? Do you have Yahtzee?”

“Please no Yahtzee,” Riesa said.

“I know we could just play picture daisy chains, we don’t need anything for that,” Eliza said.

Riesa said nothing.

Maya was exasperated. “Do you not want to play?”

“No, that’s not it,” Riesa said. “I want to play. But I want to play something good.”

“Okay, you tell me what good is then.”

She didn’t make an act of suddenly stumbling on it. “Banette Dare,” she said without looking at Maya.

“Banette Dare?” Eliza said.

“Yeah? Is it too dangerous?”

“Of course not.” Eliza looked away. “It’s just dangerous on such a different scale. Breaking into your old kindergarten dangerous.”

“Well I think it’s a great way to spend a reunion like this. My parents are asleep and it’s not too loud. And it’ll be done in an hour.”

“Okay,” Maya said.

“Okay?”

“Okay.”

“Yay…!” The box for this one came out without any fumbling. Banette Dare was a teenager party game. Some people only did it drinking. There was a board aspect, with tokens moving through tangled circular highways and coming at cul-de-sacs. And then there was a phase that started at a cul-de-sac. The player who held that position’s color would have first dibs on daring the trapped player to do something in real life. They could also ‘dare you to tell the truth’. But the trapped player could bounce it back with another dare. There was a cost to this bounce, and there was a self-caution that the new dare had to be more extreme and have higher stakes. The game ended for a player if they received a dare they could not fulfill, top, or pay off with their points. In the hands of children it usually escalated to the reasonable bound that the scoring system imposed on it. But in the hands of girls something more could happen than coercion. What would I tell someone if I could make them do whatever I wanted? I wouldn’t, since I don’t care about people.

Riesa rolled highest deciding their turn order, and then rolled her way further along the same track than the others, her expressions of triumph unacknowledged by everyone. The first victim was Atashka, care of me.

“I dare you to call Meg and tell her you’re in love with her,” I said without hesitation.

“She’ll kill me,” Atashka said.

Still, he rung up the pokénav. “Hi Meg. I hope I’m not disturbing you. I hope I’ve caught you at a chill time when you’re relaxing from all those hard conversations and just want to hang. With someone who has no expectations. Yeah this is about something. You’re mowing the lawn, that’s very good. The smell of cut grass is one of my favorite things about living in Petalburg. I just… the moment I smell it I think of the home town. Do you have something…?”

At this point Riesa snatched the nav, turned on its loudspeaker and gave it back to him.

“ – is this about?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’ll tell you why I called. I just wanted to… I wanted to confess to you. Meg, I love you.”

“My brother!” came the scratchy but chill voice. “That almost makes up for interrupting me like this. I love you too bro, thanks for thinking of me. We might not hang out as much, but we’re still best friends on this earth. Aside from your girlfriend. Anyway darling, Anna is seeing me in half an hour so I have to get on with this. Bye bye!”

Maya and Eliza broke down in giggles when they got to look at each other.

“Atashka, girlfriend?” I said.

“No! No girlfriend!”

“Who was she talking about, I wonder.”

“Atashka got a girlfriend in Dewford,” Riesa said suggestively.

“Nice one to talk,” he said, “when it’s supposed to be you.”

“Hahahahahahahahaha!” I couldn’t control myself. “Hahaha! He he.” I laughed at least long enough to make both of them look regretful.

We clicked dice and moved onward in silence. Despite the apparent shortness, it took time to get anywhere even in the first circuit of the road. Finally Eliza trapped Riesa.

“I dare you to… tell me your favorite Berry.”

“Pecha.”

I confess I didn’t pay attention to most of the logistics except when people took their heads off the board and dared each other. Maya caught Riesa first.

“I dare you to kiss your Aron on the head.”

“Yeah?” Riesa said. “I dare you to comb back Eliza’s fringe.”

They submitted. Eliza caught her hair and said, “Stop that!”

Riesa had her retaliation only a turn later.

“I dare you to sit on Mom and Dad’s bed and tell them we’ve been bullying you.”

Maya thought long and hard about their mitigation strategy. “I dare you to sit in Alia’s lap.”

“I dare you to sit in Alia’s lap.” So, obviously, Riesa knew Alia better than Maya did.

Again Maya submitted. When Alia was found she said, “Isabelle solved the problem. She’d like to be in a family home. I’ll pick her up from the metro in the evening.”

“Alia let me sit in your lap,” Maya said.

“Um… Okay,” she said. “It’s always been Riesa who was keen on that, but sure.”

They fit rather well in her lap, although the metal clasps on Alia’s trousers hurt their cotton tank top.

Riesa had a dry spell for the next few turns, turning off opportunities and neglecting points to get at her aim. Meanwhile, I enjoyed making Atashka dance with fortunate impunity. This was a good game to play, in my regard. When Riesa trapped Maya again, her look of exaggerated gesture belied her intentions.

“I dare you to change into those bear onesies.”

“Too much work. I dare you to take a shower.”

“I dare you to dress up in a sailor outfit.”

“I dare you to put on the old school uniform.”

“I dare you to wear,” Riesa said, “that green frock.”

For a long while Maya said nothing, but they weren’t strategizing now.

“Seven minutes in heaven,” they said. Atashka and Riesa laughed, but they and Eliza had a straight face. “Seven minutes in the games closet. With… Arauve.”

“What, that’s unfair!” Riesa said still laughing. “You don’t even know Arauve!”

“If she’s fine with it…” Maya said.

“It doesn’t make a difference,” I said.

“Seven minutes.”

The games closet was genuinely only big enough for one person. We tried to lean ourselves on the hard edges of shelves. To our embarrassment we could not stand in it abreast. I decided eye contact was not necessary, but it was weird to look at any other part either. So I settled for the crease of the lip under her nose. Although physical space doesn’t mean anything to me, there were practical impossibilities to handle. For instance, I don’t like breathing straight on someone else’s face in any situation. Then there was the fact that she was half a head shorter than even me.

“How did you like Mom’s food,” Riesa said. “I missed it for a while.”

“Pretty good. I can see why.”

“I hope my elbow isn’t knocking you or anything.”

“Riesa, this is just a fun game, right?” And why was seven minutes with me the climax to that exchange, anyway. “There’s nothing going on between you and those two?”

“Just trying to have fun,” she said.

“I’ve known you in a few different modes since Slateport,” I said. “And ‘mad’ hasn’t been one of them. All right, I don’t mean out and out angry…”

“Arauve, not the right time at all,” she said.

I went back to looking at her face. This time I smelled the same shampoo we’d all used. It was from Alia’s place.

“I always wanted to live in a small town,” Riesa said. “You have cartoons where the first episode is the hero’s hometown, and it gets nostalgic, then you never see it again. I used to think about a perfect place like that when I was a kid. Just freeze that nostalgic moment with the trees surrounding you with their shade. It’s like that because you’re about to go away, otherwise you would never think it was so pretty. That’s where anyone can actually be safe.”

I had a feeling that I was not, like I was used to thinking, perpetually on the verge of getting beyond her ken, but that she had a different lap to run, and wasn’t necessarily interested in mine.

I said, “You look a little bit like Pacifidlog Cobalt here.”

She burst into a laugh. “Really now?”

“I’m surprised you even remember that superhero. But you have the helmet, if you tucked all your hair up like a pageboy and curled it in…”

She let me take her barrette out to reposition it, but it made her lean even closer into my collar. She looked up at me through slightly blinkered eyes.

The light flooded in. “Seven minutes wasn’t enough for a kiss!” Atashka crowed. “We need seven minutes and ten seconds! Kiss! Kiss!”

We stumbled out and Riesa went back to her martial stance. But she was flustered. If nothing else, the closed space had made her feel stuffy.

“I had a nice talk with Arauve about traveling plans,” she offered preemptively. “What do you want next?”

“Roll the dice,” Maya said.

“Right.”

Eliza dared Atashka to tell her what his starter pokémon was. Then it came back to Maya without a missed chance. “I dare you to tell the truth. The last year of school all three of us were in the field trip to Route 120. You went missing when we climbed that hill. What were you doing?”

Riesa said, “I was crying.”

“I knew that, so it doesn’t fulfill the dare. You were crying in the maze of tall grassrows that leads up to it. What made you cry?”

“I was crying that I wouldn’t hang out with you after that year.”

“That was only true if you wouldn’t come to a lunch, dance or mall with us ever, like Eliza and I did the entire summer. Besides, we’d promised we’d have our own picnic at the stones, away from everyone. So why were you crying?”

“I was crying that I’d get to see less of you guys.”

Maya bit their lip for a few seconds morosely, but they released her.

This time Riesa caught Maya. “I dare you to tell me when you got the white dye job.”

“I dare you to show everyone how you look in the Revolutionary school uniform you made.”

“What, right now?”

“Maya…” Eliza started.

“When else? I know you still have it somewhere.”

“No.”

“You do.”

“I do, it’ll just take time to find. I’ll do this for you, Maya. Hang on.”

Maya folded their arms and waited in the silence Riesa left us all in the room with.

Riesa in plain beige belted schoolboy shorts. But the jacket she wore above it had some kind of plaited dressing at the bottom that converted it into almost a dueling frock. The effect was like that of an expensive prep school, if not for the wig. Her wig was long, straightened, bright blonde and it had an immense bouquet of artificial flowers sewn into the part.

“Second year of primary,” said Riesa, “all three of us were still going as boys, and we had no care in the world except that the school uniform was way too drab. Boys or not. For showing individuality, we just got sent outside the classroom. So Maya, Eliza and I launched a Revolution for Good Dress Sense where we all designed our uniforms ourselves. We got to wear them for two days before the permanent detention. So now, everyone in the room has seen me with my girl unraveling. You can thank Maya for that.”

The way she put those words took a second for me to process. “No!” I said. “That doesn’t unravel you at all. It… What it is…” For the second time, I couldn’t think fast enough.

It took Riesa as much time to change out of it, and Eliza used the time to trap Maya. “I dare you,” she said with a sigh, “to not talk about clothes for the rest of the day.”

“I dare you to not dare me like that.”

“That doesn’t work,” Eliza said.

“I know, I know, I was joking. Hmm… I dare you to put your foot up on this table. With shoes on.”

Eliza hesitated. “I dare you to tell Riesa that you’re dumb.”

“Haha,” Riesa said, “I knew you wouldn’t do it!”

“Hey, I’m not the dumb one,” Maya said. “If I’m dumb so is Riesa. I dare you to tell Mrs. Ferinn that the food was crappy.”

“I dare you,” Eliza said, “to explain what the Revolution Group meant to you.”

“Now that I was coming to anyway. Picture us in second year primary. Oversmart children, we were still in the boys uniform, without a cause to rally against. Eliza at that point was my best friend. She told me that she was a girl, but she didn’t want to be a girl. Do you get it? If she’d just been a girl from the start it would have been a different thing, but this business of telling everyone and changing clothes and eyebrow pulling was just too inconvenient. When I heard about her being a girl it made no sense to me, so naturally I thought I was a boy. Anyway. Anyway. Riesa, That kid. Her dream was more than about boy or girl or whatever. When she came in our class she already had a reputation as a ruffian because she’d been real high up in one of the children’s gangs around TV Mauville. She promised that was all behind her, but the mystique was there.”

“It was the Lilligants,” Riesa said. “And I was the diplomat.”

“Haha, ‘diplomat’. Anyway, rules were a different thing to her. It was incredible. It was like she knew exactly when she would and wouldn’t get caught. And sometimes she would let herself just for the sacrifice. I wanted to say that at a certain time, this girl was free. You have to grow up, study, train, take care of your family, but Riesa somehow slipped away from everything. She was her own woman. Kid. Whatever.”

“Except all that is just putting off,” Riesa said. “You can’t do it forever.”

“No! It’s not! It has to be or I’m wrong. We definitely believed in it back then. It was like an unofficial, illegal club. We even got them to let us stage a play. It was an adaptation of Boy Trouble by Astora. We changed it so much that they thought we didn’t know how to read, but we were actually making fun of it, of course.”

“Wow,” Riesa said. “Let’s drag that out into the light.”

“And it was Riesa’s mastermind. Whatever we were doing, Riesa believed in it the most. Without her there wouldn’t have been a club in the first place.”

“Maya,” Eliza said, taking the token out of their hand, “why don’t you let it go today. Riesa isn’t going to be here forever. Can’t we just have a nice evening?”

Maya took it back more firmly.

“Look,” she said, “Atashka and Arauve are here and they don’t know what this is all about. Don’t you want to show them that we’re friends?”

“What else am I…?” they burst out. They started rolling and went a long way without any traps. In the meantime, Riesa and Atashka trapped each other a few times into carrying Grovyle on your shoulders, making cupcakes together later, etc. Finally, as though the game were a pretense for it Maya trapped Riesa.

Eliza said, “It’s fine. You can do it this way. But be honest about what you want.”

Maya said, “Riesa, I dare you to stop training and come stay in Mauville.”

Last edited: