• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Promise Between Ash and Pikachu!! (963)

shac

This episode made me think of the early Johto episodes where ash saw suicune and then a bunch of new Pokémon. Those were some exciting fun days. It also made me think of Jurassic park. The wondrous marvelous experience of discovering new species and seeing them in their natural habitat. Well done writers!

MasterTobias

Interesting how Ash said he believes he can obtain something important in Alola in order to become a Pokemon Master. I hope this doesn't become an irrelevant line and Ash does indeed find something important to perhaps find out what it is to become a Pokemon Master.

He will catch Kapu-Kokeko and win the next league Tobias-style.
Hopefully he gets lucky enough and his Z ring won't break in the end of his journey in Aloha.

hottom3rd

Like this episode a lot. Although not the incredible Litten episode, it is definitely not the worst one and was thoroughly entertaining. Pikachu's revived importance this series is refreshing too. Here's to a strong season so far

7.5/8 out of 10

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Writers how could you tease me like that :(....that Wimpod was perfect for you Ash!! I hope he comes back in the future.

Janovy

Banned
Finally got around to watching this episode. I didn't expect much after reading the comments, but it was ADORABLE. Ash was so entertaining in this episode, from his complete childish enthusiasm over Alola's beauty, to his imitation game with Exeggutor, to his futile attempts to save a poor Wimpod when he was just about to head home.

BTW that Wimpod was so cuteee. I need Ash to get a Wimpod now.

I also really appreciated that promise scene with Pikachu at the beach. The music really fit the scene.

AND we got Tapu Lele's debut. Undoubtedly foreshadowing for future events, I wouldn't be shocked if Tapu Lele challenged Ash as well.

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review - Sun&Moon Edition

The boys have come far

Pros:

* And the bros scramble

* Ash drinking the water like an animal

* Laverre Theme in...Alola

* Ash/Pikachu bonding

Cons:

* Filler

Thoughts:

* Oh, Ash blushed?

* Pikachu looked strange this episode?

* What's with these Fight Clubs in Alola?

Obligatory Ash/Pikachu bonding episode

3.5/10

Last ten episodes ratings: 3.5/4/4/7/7.5/7/4/4/5/3.5 (including this episode)
Average of episodes 11-20: 4.95/10
Average of episodes 1-10: 6.6/10

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
My filler senses were tingling until the very end. It almost looked like Ash was going to get an easy capture but it seems that it was not meant to be. I cant believe Team rocket missed this golden chance for an ambush!

Vipsoccermaster

Fair episode. Nothing too major about this episode, but the only thing special about it was the bond between Ash and Pikachu getting stronger. Being the 20th episode of the 20th anniversary, it went well. Ash mentioned how he first met Pikachu back in EP1, then went on to everything about Alola, his friends and his Pokémon. Nothing whatsoever about the remainder of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos. "Let's pretend continuity doesn't exist!" New Pokémon being shown here, including Tapu Lele, was nice.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The shopping scenes were great and I liked seeing Ash and Pikachu have some alone time together. Also liked the part where Ash turns his hat backwards again after a long time.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I have to admit that I like Wimpod's VA. Yes, it sounds like a pig squealing through one of those robot voice changer things, but it's still pretty similar to the Japanese VA.

SinnohEevee

Fair episode. Nothing too major about this episode, but the only thing special about it was the bond between Ash and Pikachu getting stronger. Being the 20th episode of the 20th anniversary, it went well. Ash mentioned how he first met Pikachu back in EP1, then went on to everything about Alola, his friends and his Pokémon. Nothing whatsoever about the remainder of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos. "Let's pretend continuity doesn't exist!" New Pokémon being shown here, including Tapu Lele, was nice.

Ash suffers from memory loss.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
This episode could easily be classified as filler, until the last 2 minutes (just like the Pancake Race). This was horrendously boring to me. It was just Ash and Pikachu goofing around on an island that showed no treasure.

Of course the anime uses the Moon dex's description of Tapu Lele. Got to make sure it doesn't sound inherently evil.

...Though the most important thing to note was that Ash blushed at the mention of being close to three girls. Poor Serena. You were a generation too soon.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
This Wimpod better come back..... it's perfect for him.
The beginning part wasn't that great, apart from when Kiawe, Sophocles, and Rotom ditched Ash. That was hilarious.
8/10

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
An absolutely incredible episode. We need more Ash and Pikachu solo episodes. It made me really happy to watch. I wish Movie 20 had been solo them

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Ash spending a day having fun with wild pokemon may be filler but its good filler. It was also refreshing for him to be without a pokedex and just focus on enjoying the experience.

Ash suffers from memory loss.
Doesn't he imply they did it a lot before coming to Alola? He just didn't detail any of it.

NPT

Just a member
-LOL at Kiawe, Sophocles, and even ROTOM making random excuses to get out the situation, too bad Ash wasn't so lucky... or was he?
He totally was!
-Ugh, the dub music during the shopping montage was terrible. I actually had to press mute during that part.
-Looks like Ash is going on a solo adventure.
-Alolan Exeggutor!
-Eh? Ash mentioned how he met Pikachu, but nothing about his journey through Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos? Geez, would it kill the writers throw some references to the past generations?
-Once again, bad dub music ruined a good scene.
-Wimpod is a wimp...
-Hey, it's Tapu Lele!

All in all, it was a fun episode. I hope we'll get more Ash/Pikachu solo episodes like this later in the series.

Music kept in dub (1)
  • Title card music

Man, TPCi really dropped the ball with music this time. What a bummer.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Wow.. In true SM-fashion, they made Ash fail at Climbing the cliffside not once, not twice, but thrice.. -.-

He should have recruited Bonnie. She climbed up a vertical cliff face in one go to get that Fairy Flower

They made a fake-out with the Wimpod going back to its pod, then going back to Ash as if to join him, but then to return to its pod again.

For everybody who's predicting Wimpod, remember #TeamSkiddo and #TeamPhantump last gen? It's possible he won't even get a Water type

For some reason, at the tail-end of the episode, we need Rotom to still give us the dex-details on both Tapu Lele and Wimpod.

Ash didn't know who they were

den21

Ash spending a day having fun with wild pokemon may be filler but its good filler. It was also refreshing for him to be without a pokedex and just focus on enjoying the experience.

Doesn't he imply they did it a lot before coming to Alola? He just didn't detail any of it.

Yup he did. he did mention that they did a lot of traveling and battling before coming to alola in the dub (in all subbed episodes i saw he did mention a lot of battles before coming to alola/since he got pikachu as well)

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I get on the JP version for overacting/underacting, but I have to admit that the dub ran into a variation of that in this episode: Lillie did quite an overread in the episode’s beginning that made it sound like she called Lana “Luna.”

It’s not often I criticize the dub’s music editing, but there was a little mistake after the title card: it used the XY dub version of the Fashion Theme (so I titled because of its association with Pokemon Showcases back in the XY saga), as evidenced by the accordion section. If it were the SM version, there would be a steel drum section replacing the accordion. The rest of the dub music worked out great, though. Another return of the “Under the Alolan Sun” instrumental was welcome for the Exeggcutor scene. And that theme that went over Ash’s reminiscence (which made its debut back in SM007’s dub) was excellent here. Tapu Lele’s theme was beautifully mystic-sounding. A lot of hard work goes into composing and editing the dub’s music, and occasional mistakes here and there really don’t ruin the end result, so I don’t know what people are talking about when they say TPCi “drops the ball” on the soundtrack.

This wasn’t an important episode, either, but it was still a neat one to see. Ash and Pikachu might not have enough character to carry a whole series by themselves, but it’s still nice to spend some time with just them every now and then. At first I thought he’d catch that Wimpod, but it’s fine that he didn’t. I wonder if Ash struck as much a chord with Tapu Lele as he did with Tapu Koko. I guess we’ll see. But in general, an episode doesn't need to be important to be good.