• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pros and Cons of Viz Media

matt0044

On Bulbagarden, I posted a thread where Pokemon Anime fans could discuss the good things and the bad things about 4kids' English Version of Pokemon. I tried to post it here on Serebii but a mod deemed it too controversial (not exactly but sort of) and locked it.

Here, Pokemon Manga fans can discuss the good and bad points about the main American distributor of Pokemon Manga, Viz Media. The reason is because I see some (key word being "some") similarities between 4kids and Viz in terms of translating and adapting Pokemon series and fan reception. Both companies are infamous among fans here for their various screw-ups (wrong names for wrong characters), censorship (be it sort of necessary or totally unnecessary) and more.

However, Pokemon Anime fans on Bulbagarden showed that they acknowledge the things that 4kids done right with the Pokemon Anime and gave credit where credit was due while also pointing out their mistakes. I think we should do the same for Viz Media here in this thread. Not that people haven't but I've seen too many people giving Viz more hate than they deserve. I don't love the company but I do appreciate them bringing us great Pokemon Manga.

Anyways, allow me to go first:

Pros:

1. Good translation and writing. With some exception, Viz manages to not only stick to their Manga's original story like superglue but they also manage to spruce up the dialogue for kids to enjoy. I enjoy it since the dialogue writers for Special or DPA can be very witty with a few lame joke here and there. This is essential for Pokemon series with plenty of comedy like DPA or the DP chapter of Special where Japanese jokes might not translate well into English. It also helps me like the characters more. I could go on but let's not and say we did.

2. They do their homework (most of the time). With a screw-up once in a while, Viz does manage to give the Manga characters their proper English names from the Pokemon games right down to even the minorest of characters like Joey, Elm's assistant in Special. They even get most of the game items' names right. They get things wrong, of course, but we'll get to that.

3. The things they let slip pass the radar. Viz has a tendency to let violent things slide, usually when it involves Pokemon getting hurt or hurting others. This does later make them seem hypocritical but we'll get into that soon.

There's more but I'm getting impatient and want to post this thread faster.

Cons:

1. The blatant errors that even a blind person could see. While most times Viz's editors manage to get things right, other times it seems like no one noticed the things they get wrong at the time. Maybe someone forgot to drink their coffee those times, maybe someone pulled too many all-nighter and was too tired to bother or maybe someone got stoned of his/her ***, who knows? The people there really need to run a more tighter ship. The mistakes are minor enough to cut Viz some slack but a mistake is still a mistake.

Examples: Not giving Red's Pokemon nicknames, mixing up names (be it Pokemon or people), the list goes on.

2. Translated the DPPt chapter early and before the RS/FRLG/E chapters. If they're not going to translate the latter first, why translate the former (given the spoilers with Sird)? I mean, come on! Need I say more?

3. The censorship (this is gonna be a big one). I'd like to believe that Viz censors certain things because they either fear getting sued by overzealous parents or just *****ed at by them, ruining their public image, and not because they actually think that censoring things like Crys getting slapped by her mother is necessary. They know how hypocritical and ridiculous these parents can get but also how they tend to get there way no matter what based on past events involving censorship.

Of course, this was a double-edged sword: on one hand, they prevent a possible lawsuit but on the other hand, they got fans of Pokemon Adventures/Special from these forums at their throats (not that they actually give a crap about us). But that's the nature of business: you just can't please everyone. There's always going to be someone who doesn't like something you do.

However, it's not really why they do it that bothers me but rather how they do it.

Like Crys getting a snap-out-of-it slap from her mom (who I honestly think is Crys's dad crossdressing) being changed to getting a glare: They should've instead edited the mom's mouth open and added a speech bubble to make her say "SNAP OUT OF IT, CRYS!" if they were going to the trouble of censoring the scene anyways. THAT would've been much better. That or keep it as it is.

Nonetheless, I dislike the censorship. Not as much as others who have ranted about it but I hate it nonetheless.

Sorry, I took so long but there was a lot to talk about. So, discuss away.

Rex Kamex

Translating Toshihiro Ono's Electric Shock Pikachu, I actually liked that they edited/reduced the chest size of the women. (I heard those graphic novels were censored in Japan, by one point.)

I also liked how they release stuff right-to-left nowadays.

I like how they've released D&P Adventure and that particular Mystery Dungeon graphic novel. They're also releasing the graphic novels of the movies.

I'm actually fine with them translating the B/W arc of Adventures in booklets, since those are the current games. (Hopefully, though, it won't reveal any huge spoilers related to past events that Viz hasn't translated and released yet. I'm sure it won't for a while.)

I wish they didn't translate the D/P arc of Adventures just yet. Gen IV was about to "expire." Gen I's "expired" a long time ago, and it is the beginning of the series, so I don't mind that.

It's not just Viz I'm upset about, but Nintendo in general for not calling the rival of the Gen I protagonist "Green" in the remakes/rereleases. Original games (except in Japan) were Red and Blue, so I can understand the boy in Adventures originally being named Blue (not that I'd automatically prefer it). But later came along FireRed and LeafGreen. In the past, blue came with red. Now, it's green.

............ My laziness is kicking in, when it comes to making this long post..........................

matt0044

Translating Toshihiro Ono's Electric Shock Pikachu, I actually liked that they edited/reduced the chest size of the women. (I heard those graphic novels were censored in Japan, by one point.)

I don't get why some people ***** about this since Pokemon is for everyone and big boobies are NOT for everyone of all age. Speaking of which, I'm impressed how Viz redrew the risque scenes so well.
It's not just Viz I'm upset about, but Nintendo in general for not calling the rival of the Gen I protagonist "Green" in the remakes/rereleases. Original games (except in Japan) were Red and Blue, so I can understand the boy in Adventures originally being named Blue (not that I'd automatically prefer it). But later came along FireRed and LeafGreen. In the past, blue came with red. Now, it's green.

I could care less to be honest. Though I am more use to Blue being the boy and Green being the girl.

............ My laziness is kicking in, when it comes to making this long post..........................

You and me both.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Pros.

1. The fact that they're releasing more Pokemon manga lately: I'm glad to see more manga in their roster...it kinda makes me hopeful that other people will stop calling Adventures "the manga" (oh who am I kidding?).

2. Their translations aren't that bad actually.

Laziness kicking in...going to finish this quickly

Cons.

1. The releasing of the Diamond & Pearl chapter early. Yeah, mentioned already, but it still counts. They're working themselves into a huge corner by doing this. Sird, the previous Dex holders cameo, Sapphire's mentioned.

2. The skipping of the RS, FRLG, E chapters. Like the DP chapter being released early, this will cause several plot holes that are going to be very hard to rewrite...

laziness...again...

Things I just don't care about but others do.

The changing of Blue and Green's names. You know, back when I first heard of this in the seventh grade, I was annoyed at it and called them by their Japanese names.

About two years later I realized, why am I calling them by their Japanese names again? I never read the Japanese version, I don't even live in Japan....and I just went on using the English names from then on.

ReiZerou

I agree with all the previous facts (I like the RtoL and translation the best), so I'm trying to come up with something new to say... And these are all from Adventures since I haven't read any other Pokémon manga from Viz.

First off Pros:
1. Print and paper quality. It's really good, at least compared to Finnish manga.

2. Creative sound effects with different fonts. Viz has a whole variety of different sound effects while CY uses only one kind of font in either black or white. Viz can even make transparent effects with different fills. They also make the colors, forms and places match very well with the original.

3. Editing background text in general. For example, in vol. 30 Viz's Comedy Grand Prix stage is much closer to the original look than CY's plain text. And on the next page, CY has a weird backwards S where the show's name should be.

I think I got some of your laziness germs so I'm moving to Cons.
1. I still don't get why they kept "ananuke" and "houou" in vol. 11. If they have enough Unown characters to write "To be continued" after every volume why couldn't they have edited them? They're lazy.

2. Some speeches sometimes go to wrong people. Interestingly, in vol. 12 both Viz and CY thought that Crystal says that there's a sound that comes from her bag. Even though Yellow clearly says it. But this is really minor, I just felt like complaining about it.

Wish I could come up with more, but I'm really tired now. All in all, I think there's more good than bad in Viz.

lolipiece

Staff member
Yeah, the whole speech bubble thing is another con I have with them...

They made a mistake in DPA volume 7 (or was it 8? I'm too lazy to check) that had Jupiter and....someone else (Jun? B-2?)'s dialogue switched.

And the speech bubble errors in Pokemon Adventures Black and White volume 1.

matt0044

Yeah, the whole speech bubble thing is another con I have with them...

They made a mistake in DPA volume 7 (or was it 8? I'm too lazy to check) that had Jupiter and....someone else (Jun? B-2?)'s dialogue switched.

And the speech bubble errors in Pokemon Adventures Black and White volume 1.

Yeah, but they only happen a few times so far.

Rex Kamex

Oh! Another pro!

I like the cover for the volume of Pikachu Shocks Back (the English version of Electric Shock Pikachu volume 2). It's different from the Japanese version. Well, all the volume covers are for this manga.

I don't get why some people ***** about this since Pokemon is for everyone and big boobies are NOT for everyone of all age. Speaking of which, I'm impressed how Viz redrew the risque scenes so well.

Yeah, to me, their chest sizes in the English version looked normal. (And I'm assuming the apparently censored Japanese version as well.)

I could care less to be honest. Though I am more use to Blue being the boy and Green being the girl.

By now it's a "Well what can you do?" thing for me. I guess "upset" was too strong of a word. Again, that's not just with Viz- in HeartGold and SoulSilver, the Viridian Gym leader's named "Blue." You could say it's consistent with the old games, but they were already inconsistent when they released LeafGreen instead of WaterBlue (or something to that effect).

I wonder if he would've been named "Green" had those Best of books not come. (Of course, those books not existing would affect to some extent whether or not the re-release volumes would be released.) If the re-releases happened to have occured the same dates they currently have been released, it would've been several years since the original volumes and the re-releases, so who knows? But not only in Best of was the guy named "Blue", those books were left-to-right, like the old books. Not really a surprise, though......

In any case, the name that registers in my head for the dude is "Green" and the girl "Blue"... I don't really feel like "fighting" it, and that's because their English names are exchanged, not two completely new things...

lolipiece said:
About two years later I realized, why am I calling them by their Japanese names again? I never read the Japanese version, I don't even live in Japan....and I just went on using the English names from then on.

I still think using the Japanese names makes sense because they're the names that came first. The problem for me now is... why just use those two Japanese names? I called the boy "Green" and the girl "Blue" since everyone else had been at the time, and because Viz stopped translating before the series finished. Back then I thought it was done in the US, so I figured, "Why not call 'em what they were originally called?" But now that Viz is translating...

lolipiece

Staff member
Actually, the only things that were censored in the Japanese version of EToP was the scene where Misty was bathing (In the magazines, she was completely nude, in the volumes she has a towel covering her front....barely..) and those two women that Ash, Brock, and Misty met when they were looking up info on the Knights of the E Stone (in the magazines, they had Poke Balls on their chests that looked EXTREMELY(even for this series) suggestive, in the volume version they were removed....).

matt0044

Actually, the only things that were censored in the Japanese version of EToP was the scene where Misty was bathing (In the magazines, she was completely nude, in the volumes she has a towel covering her front....barely..) and those two women that Ash, Brock, and Misty met when they were looking up info on the Knights of the E Stone (in the magazines, they had Poke Balls on their chests that looked EXTREMELY(even for this series) suggestive, in the volume version they were removed....).

How come they were in the Manga to begin with if it was aimed at kids? It's not like Shin Chan.

I also saw this site where the person who ran it discussed the changes in Dengeki Pikachu's English censored version where the guy was actually complaining about the censorship, claiming that Viz though that women's breasts were "evil," *****ing how Misty's swimsuit change was "ridiculous" even though the swimsuit barely covered her in the original (not good for a kids Manga) and much more even though the censorship was totally justified. I know it's all opinion but it just seemed so ignorant.

lolipiece

Staff member
How come they were in the Manga to begin with if it was aimed at kids? It's not like Shin Chan.
Japan has different standards than we do?

I dunno....

shengar

Silent reader

I also saw this site where the person who ran it discussed the changes in Dengeki Pikachu's English censored version where the guy was actually complaining about the censorship, claiming that Viz though that women's breasts were "evil," *****ing how Misty's swimsuit change was "ridiculous" even though the swimsuit barely covered her in the original (not good for a kids Manga) and much more even though the censorship was totally justified. I know it's all opinion but it just seemed so ignorant.

Well, that's Japan for you. Although I'm surprised to know the fact that Electric Pikachu was published in CoroCoro Magazine considering the art style, and those boobies are even too much for children magazine. *sigh* Why wouldn't they released it in Shounen Sunday? It will be much more fitting.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Well, Ono got censored even in Japan.

And frankly they were edits that I can get behind. He's a really good artist when he remembers how people are actually proportioned, and to see ENORMOUS BOOBS really takes away from that.

Maxim

Beyond repair
I dislike some of Viz's names (like Sham & Carl). Their naming is usually better than CY's but I wish it was less Japanese-based (leaving Paka & Uji was a stupid idea too. They could've at least anglicized them into Parker & Woody [that's what Korean translation did]).

I'm so used to Chermaine and Keane...

matt0044

I dislike some of Viz's names (like Sham & Carl). Their naming is usually better than CY's but I wish it was less Japanese-based (leaving Paka & Uji was a stupid idea too. They could've at least anglicized them into Parker & Woody [that's what Korean translation did]).

It's not like they're obligated to use those names.

ReiZerou

They're goddamn names, they aren't supposed to be translated or altered much. And it causes more Blue/Green kind of meddling. I see it as an absolute pro, that Viz doesn't change original character's names much, and that they use the game names when it's possible.

And Viz can't use CY's names, it would be copying.

matt0044

I thought CY was part of Viz.

Also, despite censorship issues, Viz is better than CY since Viz rarely gets names and terms from the games wrong. Plus, their 2nd version is available more today.

On Youtube, a user reviews Pokemon Adventures (Viz's 2nd version) who goes a bit overboard when pointing out Viz's mistakes and was very overzealous when talking about the slap-to-glare censorship in Volume 11 (you know the one). While I can respect his opinions to a certain extend, I find him to be be too hateful towards Viz. Then again, I tend to be pretty optimistic.

Maxim

Beyond repair
They're goddamn names, they aren't supposed to be translated or altered much. And it causes more Blue/Green kind of meddling. I see it as an absolute pro, that Viz doesn't change original character's names much, and that they use the game names when it's possible.

It's just as much copying as using the names from the games. I see really nothing wrong with it. CY is just as "official" as Viz, with a legal license and all that stuff. And some of CY's names were relatively well-taken by the fandom. Using their names for the non-game characters only would be an inspiration at most. Copying would be only when they used all their names, even those erroneous ones (like Starstone, Marge, Mitch etc.).

Also, they used Al and the -ee suffix for Crys's Pokemon.

Pro? Come on, kept Japanese names fail to intermix with the game names. If they ever get to translate RS Saga, then I don't want to have "Courtney, Tabitha & Hokage" and "Shelly, Matt & Shizuku" in one team.

That "Blue/Green" argument is totally irrelevant. Almost all character names get changed for the English version of the games and most people are okay with this (except some extreme whiners). The overwhelming majority of characters already have separate Japanese and English names so there's not a single reason to make original PokeSpe characters stand out. I don't understand what you were trying to accomplish by bringing up Blue and Green.

Last edited:

matt0044

If they ever get to translate RS Saga, then I don't want to have "Courtney, Tabitha & Hokage" and "Shelly, Matt & Shizuku" in one team.

Speaking of which, I found it jarring how Viz didn't give the DPA characters English names to go with the other game characters in the Manga. They should've named Hareta, Mitsumi and Jun: Harry, Mary and Barry. Okay, maybe not but still...