• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Pros and Cons of Viz Media

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
I'm telling you that's the real reason we aren't getting RS yet. They haven't found a way to tone down all the death and child abuse in it. RS is a censorship nightmare.

... Really so if the grandma of an 6 year old dies. What will the parents tell they kid. Sorry but granny went to a very deep sleep and she liked to so much that she decided not to wake up? Makes her sound like an lazy old hag... A lot of kids have to deal with dead at their age. Parent get into an car accident or die because of an illness. You can't censor those things.

matt0044

... Really so if the grandma of an 6 year old dies. What will the parents tell they kid. Sorry but granny went to a very deep sleep and she liked to so much that she decided not to wake up? Makes her sound like an lazy old hag... A lot of kids have to deal with dead at their age. Parent get into an car accident or die because of an illness. You can't censor those things.

Try telling that to the FCC.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
The editor is the same for all the current volumes except 4-9, which were edited by different person. I don't see much differences in them. Volumes include some death and killing mentions, but there were softened parts as well.
Oh okay. I knew the editor had been pretty much the same for most of them, but I did know it alternated a bit and I hadn't been paying attention to the editors in the recent volumes so I didn't know. But then it's not due to a different editor then. It must be for some other reason. But it's weird it alternates, you'd think the editor would just decide one way or another. The fact some is left in and there hasn't been any controversy shows that it would be fine for them to leave it all in tact.

So I think the translators decide what is alright and what has to made lighter, and they don't have any specific guidelines about it. And if they do, they can still left some.
Actually the translators don't decide at all. How manga releases work is they have a translator to come in and they translate everything, then the editor is left in charge of the already translated script. They change some things to where they flow better in English, in some cases they remove cultural references or adapt things, and they also censor any dialogue if they think it's not right for the age rating of the series, and in the case of Pokemon, they also have to adapt all game character and Pokemon names into their English ones. So the editor is behind it.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster

What can I say? I'm not the one who made the censorship for Vizkids Pokemon Adventures edition, but that's how they censor. With how they censor death it's no wonder they haven't released the Gen 3 arcs yet. I hope they will eventually but until then...?

matt0044

What can I say? I'm not the one who made the censorship for Vizkids Pokemon Adventures edition, but that's how they censor. With how they censor death it's no wonder they haven't released the Gen 3 arcs yet. I hope they will eventually but until then...?

I don't get why they don't just translate the arcs and not censor it due to how bad the result will be if they do. Dragon Ball Z's Manga has an All Ages rating from Viz and despite certain changes in the art, there's still a lot of graphic violence. There's Death, blood, cursing and everything that'll give soccer moms headaches forever.

So why not for Pokemon Special? If it's the VizKids rating and they don't want the Gen 3 arcs to appear to be aimed for kids directly, why not just remove the VK label and keep the All Ages label? They can keep most, if not all, of the violence and everything. Especially since everyone is brought back to life (most of them, I believe) in the end. Though there'd definitely be no cursing at all.

You know, all this makes me realize just how different Japan and America's cultures are when it comes to what our kids can see and censorship overall. It's as though soccer moms and such are rare in Japan while they're thriving here in the west.

You know, we would be on volume 3 of the RS manga by now had it started in October, but TPCi suddenly dropped the ball to prevent Viz Kids from translating it? Lets just hope they're bringing in widebans instead of just volumes. I can see FRLG getting the treatment due to lasting three volumes and it would quickly catch us with the whole Sird/Saque spoiler in the DPPt arc. Perhaps we should do some operation like operation moonfall, but to get volumes 15~29 stateside. We're only three volumes off from regular publication. I wonder, could it be due to the economy?

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
I dunno, I actually don't think "there being too much to censor" is the reason behind them not releasing Ruby/Sapphire. For one thing, even if that was the reason, that still doesn't explain why we aren't getting the FireRed/LeafGreen or Emerald arcs. And while there probably would be some censorship I don't think there'd be as much as we're fearing (like I think very little if any of the violence would get censored), or enough to where they wouldn't even bother with it.

I can see FRLG getting the treatment due to lasting three volumes and it would quickly catch us with the whole Sird/Saque spoiler in the DPPt arc.
We'd still need the Emerald volumes too, for Emerald's silhouette and since she spoils the Emerald arc's villain and what happened with him.

I wonder, could it be due to the economy?
Doubt it. Special has been selling very well to where its probably actually costing them more money not to release the volumes.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I dunno, I actually don't think "there being too much to censor" is the reason behind them not releasing Ruby/Sapphire. For one thing, even if that was the reason, that still doesn't explain why we aren't getting the FireRed/LeafGreen or Emerald arcs. And while there probably would be some censorship I don't think there'd be as much as we're fearing (like I think very little if any of the violence would get censored), or enough to where they wouldn't even bother with it.

We'd still need the Emerald volumes too, for Emerald's silhouette and since she spoils the Emerald arc's villain and what happened with him.

Doubt it. Special has been selling very well to where its probably actually costing them more money not to release the volumes.

Maybe it's not the main reason but it must be a factor. By reading all the latest volumes they really don't want to mention death and we already know how they feel about child abuse. We can just ask Crystal and her fear of being glared at. Still we can only hope they'll release all the gen 3 chapters.

matt0044

Well, I suppose the death thing can be overlooked since I believe they come back to live. They can avoid the word "death" and such sorta like this:

"He's dead."
Alternatives: "He's gone." "No. He can't be..."

"He died so we could live."
Alternative: "He sacrificed himself so we could survive."

I haven't read much of the Gen 3 arcs so I was just making up examples. Here's a real one you probably all know:

Archie: "All those who stand in our way will die... and die... and die! Go! To! Hell!"

Alternative: All those who stand in our way will meet their doom. Now surrender or perish at our hands!"

As for child abuse, well, there's really no avoiding it so they may as well say, "screw it" and keep it all. Maybe if a different editor takes over those arcs and is more laid-back on censorship so long as blood and profanity aren't included.

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Censoring cursing is easy. Whenever they do release RS and beyond and I hope it's soon I really want to see how things are censored especially the child abuse to end all child abuses in Pokemon. I wonder if that online petition helped any?

If censorship isn't a factor at all then they are just waiting for Ruby and Sapphire remakes. I wonder what that means for FRLG?

matt0044

If censorship isn't a factor at all then they are just waiting for Ruby and Sapphire remakes. I wonder what that means for FRLG?

They might include it if either RS sells well or if they decide to release FRLG and E anyways to bridge the gap to DPPt. They re-released the RGB and Y arcs.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
They might include it if either RS sells well or if they decide to release FRLG and E anyways to bridge the gap to DPPt. They re-released the RGB and Y arcs.

I wondered about that since if they were releasing due to what is marketable RBG and Yellow are the oldest of the old. But since it's the thing that started it all you needed those two arcs at least. But yeah I hope they release RS, FRLG, and Emerald if only to fill in the holes for DPPt. If they rush they can get them all in just in time before Sird appears to spill the beans.

Lumineon457

I wondered about that since if they were releasing due to what is marketable RBG and Yellow are the oldest of the old. But since it's the thing that started it all you needed those two arcs at least. But yeah I hope they release RS, FRLG, and Emerald if only to fill in the holes for DPPt. If they rush they can get them all in just in time before Sird appears to spill the beans.

As I stated on the upcoming releases thread.

Actually, I don't think she shows up until Volume 37 (DPPt Volume 8), which would be in June of 2013. Here's hoping for a last minute announcement of monthly releases of the Gen III arcs! The specific event happens in Volume 26 and is discussed in Volume 38, but Sird first appears in Volume 23, so September or October at the latest? June or July, to get all of FrLg out of the way? Bimonthly, they would have had to have started last December or (Surprise!) October.

the armor.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Maybe it's not the main reason but it must be a factor. By reading all the latest volumes they really don't want to mention death and we already know how they feel about child abuse. We can just ask Crystal and her fear of being glared at.
It could be I suppose, but they seem to have to censor something with pretty much every arc so far so I don't know why having to censor Ruby/Sapphire too would make the case that different for them. You are definitely right that there would be some censorship though. Definitely all the mentions of death/dying and also Ruby's fight with his dad, and possibly some other stuff.

Yeah, I think its just due to TPCi making them wait for Ruby/Sapphire remakes. As for what it means for FireRed/LeafGreen and Emerald though....I'm afraid it means even if we do end up getting remakes which will allow the release of Ruby/Sapphire, that FireRed/LeafGreen and Emerald will still remain unreleased.

They might include it if either RS sells well or if they decide to release FRLG and E anyways to bridge the gap to DPPt.
I dunno, I think if they were going to release things to prevent the spoilers or due to sales we'd already be getting those arcs now. I'm afraid if it is TPCi preventing them from releasing them like we fear, that they'll prevent them from releasing anything other than Ruby/Sapphire when the remakes come up unless Viz can somehow convince them otherwise.

matt0044

Honestly, promotion of current games should matter in this case. If it's Pokemon, then fans of the franchise will read the Gen 3 arcs. They will buy the books and Viz and TPCi will make money. Now if TPCi can get that through their heads...

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Honestly, promotion of current games should matter in this case. If it's Pokemon, then fans of the franchise will read the Gen 3 arcs. They will buy the books and Viz and TPCi will make money. Now if TPCi can get that through their heads...
Exactly. And we've already proved that to them with the fact people bought Red/Blue/Green and Yellow. Plus they are already releasing the current arcs anyway, so I don't get why it would matter to release older arcs alongside them.

matt0044

Exactly. And we've already proved that to them with the fact people bought Red/Blue/Green and Yellow. Plus they are already releasing the current arcs anyway, so I don't get why it would matter to release older arcs alongside them.

Plus, old episodes of Pokemon rerun on TV like on Boomerang. Like before Unova today.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I honestly can't imagine that it would be the content. I mean, DPA got through with Mitsumi's suicide attempt, Cyrus trying to kill Mars and Saturn, the traitor grunts threatening to kill Jupiter, and an attempted suicide bombing of a crowded stadium, not to mention gratutious animal abuse, child abandonment, child mental trauma...and the only thing that got censored in the entire series was...uh...a guy with his butt being sniffed by a Stunky.

So if DPA, which is supposed to be far more of a lighthearted series, can get through Viz with all that, how could Special have problems? At least problems that big, anyway.