• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Punchy Pokémon! (029)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Tbh, the fact that Brock's Geodude was allowed entry in the P1 Grand Prix still bugs the heck out of me.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Tbh, the fact that Brock's Geodude was allowed entry in the P1 Grand Prix still bugs the heck out of me.

I can only assume that Takeshi's Ishitsubute was able to compete due to how Rock-types and Fighting-types shared an Energy type in the TCG at this point in the franchise.

Leonhart

Imagineer
What a weird episode. Why was Ash's Primeape suddenly so obedient, and how come Ash gave him away to a man who was almost a stranger to him?

Okorizaru's obedience seemed rather contrived to me, because nothing had happened prior to this episode that should've changed his behavior. I can only assume that he gained respect for Satoshi throughout the tournament here.

Anthony reminded me of some famous boxer and I liked when Ash taught Pikachu how to box. But Primeape winning the P1 Grand Prix made no sense because Ash hadn't even trained him.

gentwoer

The premise of this episode was weak. Ash enters a fighting Pokemon tournament and that's about it. There was this thing with Anthony and his daughter but it was pretty underdeveloped. Primeape becoming obedient felt hollow because truthfully we have't seen it a whole lot since Ash captured it. I guess it gave Ash a black eye after being captured but that was the extent of its rebellion. I wonder if the writers realized they rushed it and decided to do again with Charizard?

Speaking of Anthony and the daughter I wish the 4KIDS VA's put some more variance on their voices. Last episode Suzie used the exact same voice as Erika now Anthony's daughter was pretty much the same voice as Giselle. And Anthony appeared to be Maddie using her Surge voice with a slight Stallone inflection. I know like most anime dubbing company 4Kids has its pool of voice actors it likes to recycle but a little variance in the performances would be nice. You wouldn't even know James and Brock were the same guy without looking it up or having someone tell you

Geodude qualifying as a fighting Pokemon was odd but I guess it was considered one in the trading card game.

Maybe its just me but that motif that plays usually whenever Team Rocket is scheming sounds suspiciously like the Pink Panther theme. Pretty sure its 4KIDS music and not from the Japanese score too

Last edited:

Daizy

I call you honey
Geodude qualifying as a fighting Pokemon was odd but I guess it was considered one in the trading card game.

That part was odd because even if Geodude's a Fighting type in the Tcg, the anime is meant to be based off of the video games.

Leonhart

Imagineer
gentwoer said:
And Anthony appeared to be Maddie using her Surge voice with a slight Stallone inflection.

I didn't mind the choice of voice actor for him in the English dub, although I had a fondness for Maddie to begin with, so I'm biased. It would've been much worse if say Ted Lewis had voiced him.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Didn't really like the episode. We've never seen Jessie return Hitmonlee to his rightful owner. I liked the fact Primeape finally started obeying Ash, shame the latter decided to leave it for training with a Trainer he barely knew and has yet to come back.
6/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
We've never seen Jessie return Hitmonlee to his rightful owner.

At one point I did wonder vaguely if she had kept it, although she clearly didn't as seen in future episodes. Her keeping it would've sent out the wrong message, anyway.

I didn't like how Ash just handed Primeape to Anthony since they didn't even know each other that well but the anime has a way of making Ash do unreasonable dumb things. I liked the fighting tournament and how Team Rocket managed to take that one dude's Hitmonlee and compete in the tournament. It was just kind of dumb that they stole his Pokemon but didn't flee with it like they should have.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
It was just kind of dumb that they stole his Pokemon but didn't flee with it like they should have.

I did find that amusing since they had a chance to just escape and take their stolen Sawamular to Sakaki, yet instead they got greedy and used it in the competition and lost.

Episodes that center around releases of Ash's Pokemon always make me angry so my feelings for this episode got tainted when Primeape left. But the tournament was okay since we didn't get to see these kinds of competitions that often in the older episodes. I thought that Ash winning was unfair since he did no training with Primeape before this episode, but I thought that Team Rocket competing with their stolen Hitmonlee was the best part. 6/10

lukipants

i hate this episode so much.
for starters, why the **** is geodude in a fighting type tournament. second of all, why did ash release primeape when literally earlier in the episode he was whinning about how much he needed to catch new pokemon. the tournament itself was dumb, and the side characters were stupid, horrible episode

Leonhart

Imagineer
lukipants said:
why did ash release primeape when literally earlier in the episode he was whinning about how much he needed to catch new pokemon.

He was being selfless when he allowed his Okorizaru to leave his team here. He knew deep down that he wouldn't be as good of a trainer for it as the COTD, so he let Okorizaru go knowing that it would grow more under someone else's command.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
I hadn't thought of it before but yeah what the hell was with Geodude aka a Rock/Ground type being allowed to enter a Fighting Pokemon tourney?

Early series syndrome, as well as the possibility that the writer of this episode just wanted to have Takeshi get involved in the tournament, so having him use Isitsubute was the only way to accomplish that since he didn't have own any actual Fighting-types.