• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The quality of comedic television/movies

Is comedic entertainment as good as it was in the 1980s/90s?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Mye

Someone has to win..
I thought I'd post another poll, mainly about the quality of comedic programming. As everyone knows, nothing is better on a cruddy day than watching something funny. However, with the 1980's and 1990's inspiring numerous funny movies/tv shows, is the quality of the current ones as good?

Alpha God

Proffersor Alpha
Family Matters

My favourite Tv show is Family Matters. It is abiut he misadventures of an african american family living in Chicago. "Boards don't hit back."

PokeN3rd

Not Gem King Kilik
The difference between the later decades of the last century and now is the type of comedy. While family oriented comedy and plays on stereotypes were the best kind of comedy then, now the comedy that appeals to the majority of viewers are vulgar things. Jokes relating to things from religion to sex appeal to people now and are common in movies and the type of comedy provided by most big name comedians that I've watched. So yes, I'd say the quality is as good, it's just the type that has changed, which has led many to say that it isn't as good because they prefer a different type of comedy from older times.

I believe its gone downhill since the 80's and the like, yes.
I adore older movies like Airplane! and Caddyshack. The humor is spontaneous and actually pretty good.
Many movies and tv shows today, especially aimed at younger kids, employ A LOT of flatulence/barfing/butt jokes that are more tasteless than funny.

Eh, times change, I guess. People prefer a joke about someone overeating and belching to a good visual gag these days, I guess.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
The difference between the later decades of the last century and now is the type of comedy. While family oriented comedy and plays on stereotypes were the best kind of comedy then, now the comedy that appeals to the majority of viewers are vulgar things. Jokes relating to things from religion to sex appeal to people now and are common in movies and the type of comedy provided by most big name comedians that I've watched. So yes, I'd say the quality is as good, it's just the type that has changed, which has led many to say that it isn't as good because they prefer a different type of comedy from older times.

I'll agree to that; and add that it depends on the show. Obviously there are some lame comedic shows out there, but some of the good ones (HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, I'm looking at you) are actually amazing. So I'd say it's about the same.

BT Dubs Mye Awesome username subtitle.

Last edited:

Mye

Someone has to win..
Well, comedy is an interesting thing. Beavis and butthead bridged the gap between past and future comedy. They made immaturity something that people could relate to, seeing as everyone kinda knows someone like them. While the newer comedy is good, well, the 90's set the bar for comedy....king of the hill, simpsons, futurama. All 90s creations, and all things that can never really be topped...

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Comedy is different for all, I haven't seen a big change of comedy throughout the years, we still have slapstick cartoon stuff, stereotype racists like comedy, sex jokes, toilet humor, etc. since the 60's nothing's changed much. But these days people seem to think cussing is what makes things funny, I've seen an increase in cussing in tv shows and such and to everyone that's what makes it funny. I prefer ironic humor and visual gags rather than just some guy talking into a microphone cussing and making jokes. Jokes with some truth in them are also funny.

Last edited:
I'm undecided because I don't think I've seen any comedic TV shows from the 80s. But there's still funny stuff on TV (That Mitchell and Webb Look, Mock The Week and The Big Bang Theory.) but there is failed comedy TV programs. (How anyone can enjoy How I Met Your Mother, I have no ide, seeing as Friends did it before and better.)