• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Quest for the Legends, now with its ILCOETH revision!

Wartiger97

The Forester
Ok I've only read the first 30 something chapters but you kept saying Dragonair could fly how is that possible Dragonite is the one who could fly ,or is it some new dragon technique that you made for this fic? Other than that the story is very good keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to reading your other fics.

Dragonfree

Just me
Dragonair can fly in the anime; I didn't just make that up. Actually, I found that pretty bizarre too when I first heard of it, but it's canon. *shrug* I don't quite remember because it was in 2004, but I actually think in the original version I didn't make him able to fly and somebody complained.

Anyway, thanks for reading. You're getting to the parts that don't make me want to slink away in embarrassment!

Thanks for reading, everyone. Especially elyvorg, for being amazing and rambly. :D

Chapter 61 is... not very far along, I'm afraid, and I've been very busy recently, but hopefully I'll be able to get going with it soon.

Wartiger97

The Forester
Oh ok I don't keep up with the anime I was going by what I know about them from the games. Could you please add me to the PM list. I also just wanted to let you know that this story is great but I'm a reader who ejoys watching the author advance in skills as the story progresses, because honestly writing is mainly trial and error as your story progressed you've learned what the readers enjoy plus like you said it was more than 8 years ago when you started this. Keep up the good work.

GastlyMan

Ghost Type Trainer
Great chapter. I don’t have a lot to say other than I really enjoyed reading it. ^^

The Code was wrong. He tested the thought in his head, tentatively; it was strange, alien, but not actually that bad. The Code was wrong, so there didn’t have to be any suicide of guilt. The Code was wrong, so there was no need to even decide that you were too far gone for it to make a difference anymore. The Code was wrong, so there was never anything to feel guilty about in the first place.

The Code was wrong. It was such a simple, mind-boggling, blasphemous, freeing idea. And somehow... it had never even occurred to him.

Excellent epiphany Razor has here. I really liked this passage.

It’s great that Razor has decided to rejoin Mark. I would’ve missed him if he had left.

And as for what Shadowdart did...wow. Really good backstory there.

Excited for the next chapter!

Dragonfree

Just me
Hello, everyone. Sorry for how long this short chapter took; I kind of finished it a while ago but I wasn't happy enough with some bits and ended up rewriting them from scratch, and it's still not really my favorite chapter (though I had way too much fun writing Chaletwo in it). But it is plotty!

Chapter 61: Mewtwo

When Mark woke up the next morning, it took him a moment of looking over the sleeping Pokémon around them to realize Scyther was there, awake, sitting against Charizard’s side.

He crawled out of his sleeping bag, blinking the sleep out of his eyes. “Hey,” he said, smiling, and walked over to Scyther. “You’re still here.”

“The Code is wrong,” Scyther said softly, a slight hint of a grin on his face.

Mark blinked again. “What?”

“The moral code of the Scyther,” the mantis said. “I was all set to try to ignore it for the sake of my happiness, but it never actually crossed my mind that it was just wrong.”

Mark stared at him for a moment. “So you... you found your swarm?”

Scyther nodded. “Nightmare was there, too.”

“Nightmare?” Mark asked, still puzzled. “Wasn’t she... wasn’t she Michael Willows’ Scizor?”

“He released all his Pokémon sometime after that battle,” Scyther said, averting his eyes again. “But she liked him. He was sorry for evolving her.”

“Oh,” Mark said. He felt a pang of guilty discomfort; even his flimsy justification for not forfeiting the battle against Michael was now void, but he supposed there was little he could do about it now. “Is she okay?”

“Yeah,” Scyther said. “She set herself on becoming Leader. She wants to abolish the Code.”

Mark stared at him again. He couldn’t really comprehend quite what all this meant; all he knew of Scyther society were the bits and pieces that Scyther had told him, and he’d never imagined the code of ethics that Scyther had been hung up on since first joining him was something that could simply be changed.

“Shadowdart’s dead,” Scyther went on, distantly.

Mark couldn’t remember who Shadowdart was, but if Scyther thought the name would mean something to him, he figured it had to be one of Scyther’s two friends that they had met in Ruxido that one time. “I’m... sorry,” he said hesitantly.

Scyther looked at him for a moment, like he was considering whether to say something else, then shook his head. “I’ve still got some things to figure out about living without the Code – I doubt you could help with that. But now that it isn’t holding me back anymore, I’ve realized I can choose what I truly want to do with my life, and this is it. The War needs to be stopped, and I want to be part of that. And then I can go back to my swarm.”

Mark nodded. He was still somewhat confused, but now for the first time as far as he could remember, Scyther sounded like he had something to live for, and that was what was most important. “I’m glad,” he said. “That you’re figuring things out, I mean.”

“Me too,” Scyther replied and smiled.

-------

They set off eastwards later in the morning. May’s Floatzel and the freshly-evolved Weavile tagged along outside their Pokéballs under the pretense of needing to practice their Ice moves, although it looked suspiciously like they were more concerned with continuing the competition they’d started the previous night over who could take down more wild Pokémon. May and Alan seemed to be getting along okay, but there still wasn’t much in the way of conversation.

Mark was slipping into that sense of jaded boredom that had become permanently associated with this route in his mind when something seemed to prick at the edge of his mind, something that wasn’t Chaletwo. He looked up warily; May and Alan had stopped as well, even Floatzel, and Weavile asked, “What?” and then...

...and then Mewtwo was standing in front of them, and he looked straight at Mark and said, “Chaletwo, I want to talk to you.”

Mark felt a double dose of dumbstruck, staring at the legendary that had just appeared. “How did you know I was here?” Chaletwo asked sharply for both of them.

“Did you believe it was still a secret?” Mewtwo asked. His telepathic voice sounded eerily similar to Chaletwo’s; it gave the bizarre impression he was talking to himself, which really didn’t help Mark process any of what he was saying. “Raudra and Puragon warned us that trainers had captured Dragoreen and that you were with them. Mew told us you were likely trying to stop the War. I do not agree with your methods, but that isn’t why I’m here.”

Mark was stunned; this possibility really, really should have occurred to them at some point before now, but somehow Raudra and Puragon had never actually registered as agents capable of knowledge and suspicion.

“What’s with everyone knowing about the War all of a sudden?” Chaletwo said irritably. “And if they know, why aren’t they helping us?”

“Raudra and Puragon are livid that you attacked and captured their sister instead of explaining the situation,” Mewtwo replied. “By provoking their hostility, you have made them despise you. They know you will be back for them, and they plan to fight to the last. There is no hope they will cooperate with you.”

A rush of flustered anger arose in the back of Mark’s mind. “Why are they being idiots about this?” Chaletwo said fiercely. “They’re both going to die if they’re not captured! Or if they just made soul gems we could leave them alone, but if they’re...”

“You would have to discuss that with them, though I doubt they would listen,” Mewtwo said. “The two things they care about most are one another and their power balance with their brothers. You have already taken both away from them; I feel they would not seal their brothers’ victory by giving up their bodies for good, least of all when this would help you, even if it means the death of all that lives.”

Part of Mark was appalled by this, but part dully thought that sounded exactly like the kind of petty, spiteful thing they’d do. And yet another part could kind of see they were coming from, thinking guiltily of the Master Ball he had thrown at Dragoreen without ever attempting to simply explain things and negotiate with them – it had never occurred to him that they could.

“In any case,” Mewtwo went on when Chaletwo didn’t reply, “that isn’t what I came here to discuss. I wanted to talk to you about Mew.”

“What about Mew?”

“I am concerned. She has been growing ever more quiet and aimless.”

“He’s been like that for a while,” Chaletwo said. “My bet is he’s conflicted about the War, even if he tries to pretend he thinks it’s fated.”

“That isn’t all,” Mewtwo went on. “She was distracted but sane when Raudra and Puragon came, but yesterday, she suddenly appeared on my island and was outright delirious. She rambled incoherently about the War and Chalenor and escaping it, and she seemed not to remember who I was. Then she kept saying she needed insurance. And as I tried to ask her what and why, she created a copy of my body and then teleported away.”

Everyone stared at Mewtwo. Alan was the first to say what they were all thinking: “Why would Mew do that?”

“I had hoped that Chaletwo would know, having known about the War and been close to Mew longer than I.” Mewtwo looked back at Mark, waiting.

“Well, there’s only one thing ‘insurance’ is likely to mean. He’s figured out another way to escape from the War, and presumably it involves having a spare body around. Don’t know what he’s thinking; it could be as simple as planning to be resurrected into it from a soul gem.”

“But why Mewtwo’s body?” May said, speaking for the first time. “Do you think it’s just a coincidence it specifically went and got Mewtwo’s body?” She looked searchingly at Mark.

“What are you insinuating?” Chaletwo said, defensively.

“Well, anything,” she said, shrugging. “All I’m saying is it’s odd. If it was just looking for a body, why would it go to Mewtwo’s island instead of copying its own or snatching the nearest wild Pokémon? And not only that; it’s also the same body as Chaletwo’s.”

Mark was silent. His brain was tying itself into knots trying to figure out how all this connected; he knew there was something there and it seemed only barely beyond his reach. “So, what, you think he wants to impersonate one of us or something?” Chaletwo was saying, filling up Mark’s mind with that instead of the thought that was trying to slip away, and he wished the legendary would stop talking. “I don’t think there’s any connection. It was pure chance that I had Mewtwo’s body in the first place; it was just Mewtwo happened to...”

Why Chaletwo had Mewtwo’s body. “Wait,” Mark said as everything finally clicked into place. “Maybe we have it all wrong. You said Mewtwo had gone back in time with Chalenor and that’s why Mewtwo’s body was there after the last War. Right?”

“Right, but you shouldn’t really be talking about Mewtwo’s future when he’s right –”

“And that doesn’t make sense because living creatures belong to a certain time and should bounce back there when the Destroyer has drained the power that’s keeping them there. But Mewtwo’s body isn’t quite a living creature, is it?”

“But you can’t travel back in time –”

“Yes, you can, if the past is where you originally came from,” Mark pressed on. “So that wasn’t Mew having gotten worse since Raudra and Puragon talked to him. That was Mew from a thousand years ago – that’s why he didn’t recognize Mewtwo, he’d never met him before – and when he went back he took Mewtwo’s body with him. Mew and Chalenor must have gone to the future together looking for ‘insurance’. And then, after the War, he used that body to create Chaletwo. It all fits.”

There was a beat of silence as everyone stared at him.

“That’s ridiculous,” Chaletwo said. “We already know that Mew wasn’t there and Chalenor took Mewtwo back because he was interested in seeing the past. The only mystery is why he wasn’t pulled back to his own time...”

“That’s just what Mew told you,” Mark said. “Isn’t it time we faced the fact that Mew may not have told you the whole truth about everything?”

“That doesn’t make any sense!” Chaletwo said heatedly. “Why in the hell would Mew lie about something like that?”

“What about him not recognizing Mewtwo?” May said. “I’m with Mark. It’s all very far-fetched the other way.”

“He’s been unravelling mentally for years! It’s just the stress of the War coming when he’s already been through it once. It doesn’t mean he’s the goddamn Destroyer. What is wrong with you people?”

May raised an eyebrow at Mark; Floatzel looked up, intrigued, as Weavile tried to pull her back into their mock fight. Mewtwo and Alan just seemed puzzled.

“I wasn’t even saying he’s the Destroyer,” Mark said cautiously. “I was saying he went to the future with Chalenor before the last War looking for ‘insurance’. If anything that sounds more like he isn’t the Destroyer.”

“And then you’re saying he went and lied about the whole thing, made up a bunch of crap about how Mewtwo wanted to see Chalenor’s time, and hid the fact he was even there, for no reason whatsoever, simply because you’ve decided everything Mew says is automatically suspect. And you think that’s the more plausible version? Well, forgive me if I’m not convinced.”

There was a beat of silence. “I have to agree that it does not sound like Mew,” Mewtwo then said. “She did not tell the rest of us about the War, but I have never known her to lie; Chaletwo has known about the War since the beginning, and yet you presume she told him an outright fabrication regarding his own origins. Do you suspect her of being the Destroyer?”

“Well, maybe,” Mark said hesitantly. “I just found it pretty odd that he explicitly told Chaletwo not to try to stop the War and tried to keep it from the other legendaries. But now he’s been telling you and Raudra and Puragon and the Beasts, so I guess that doesn’t quite fit, and the insurance thing sounds more like he was trying to escape it.”

“Nothing we know makes sense if Mew is the Destroyer,” Chaletwo said. “I don’t see why you’re still even considering it an option.”

“But still,” Mark went on, “I wasn’t suggesting he was the Destroyer, just that he lied. Maybe he just thinks he made a horrible mistake trying to escape the War for some reason, doesn’t want you to know about it because he doesn’t want you to try, and discouraged you from trying to stop it for the same reason. Isn’t that at least possible? Didn’t you say he was really devastated after the last War?”

“That was just because Chalenor died!”

“Do you know that?” May said. “Because it sounds more like an assumption to me.”

“Guys,” Alan interrupted before Chaletwo could respond. “Aren’t we being a little presumptuous with the theorizing here? Most of this is just wild speculation that doesn’t match up with Chaletwo’s impressions, and Chaletwo’s literally known Mew for a thousand years. I’m not saying Mark couldn’t in theory be right, but you have to see that we really can’t just assume that.”

“Thank you, Alan,” Chaletwo said. “Good to see you’re still sane.”

Mark took a deep breath and then nodded reluctantly. “Yeah, you’re right. We can’t say anything for sure, and it’s not our biggest concern for now, anyway.”

Even though he said that, he was almost completely convinced he was on to something. Part of him noted cautiously that some of the reason for his conviction might be a kind of cynical backlash against the idea of legendaries with perfectly pure motives and nothing to hide, but the fact it seemed to explain several apparent contradictions at the same time, even if it left some puzzling motives behind, couldn’t be just a coincidence. And while he trusted Mewtwo’s opinion somewhat more, he’d never gotten the feeling Chaletwo was at all objective where Mew was concerned.

“So,” Mewtwo said after a pause, slowly, “supposing Chaletwo does come for me, what will happen if I do not go with him?”

May looked doubtfully at Mark. He was momentarily confused before it hit him what Mewtwo was getting at: he would now have to knowingly go with Chalenor to his death in order for Chaletwo’s version of events to happen like it supposedly did. He gave Chaletwo an anxious mental prod, now wishing he hadn’t said anything (though would that have made it any better, really?); his previous certainty of his theory felt vastly overconfident now that it had occurred to him that there were serious consequences involved.

A few seconds passed before Chaletwo answered. “I don’t know,” he said reluctantly. “It could unravel the universe for all we know, and I don’t care to find out.”

Mewtwo looked at them in silence for a second and then gave a slow nod. “Then that means I must.”

“I’m sorry,” Mark said, and he was. Of all legendaries, it was Mewtwo who just nodded without a complaint when faced with the prospect of sacrificing his life – perhaps precisely because he hadn’t lived for a thousand years believing he was truly immortal. Though he had only known him a couple of minutes, Mark already felt a deep respect for him, and if any legendary should die in the War, it seemed like it shouldn’t be him.

“I still don’t think that’s going to happen,” May said, breaking the silence. “And if Chalenor never comes to take you back in time and you’re still out and about when this War starts, everything we’ve been doing is for nothing. I think that’s the more important possibility here.”

“I can recall myself into a ball if Chalenor has not come before a given time,” Mewtwo said. “If I become too weak to travel, I will assume he is not coming. You are certain that Pokéballs will stop the onset of madness?”

Chaletwo hesitated. “If they don’t,” he said, “then there’s little we can do.”

Mewtwo looked at Mark for a moment, his violet eyes piercing and inscrutable. “Very well. I still believe you should approach the others diplomatically before picking any fights.”

“Mew forbade us to tell anyone about the War!” Chaletwo replied heatedly. “I don’t know why he’s blabbing it to anyone and everyone now, but explaining things just wasn’t an option –”

“You were already going against her wishes to not try to stop it,” Mewtwo said. “I have tremendous respect for Mew, but sometimes she is wrong. You should have told them anyway.”

Mewtwo waited several seconds for a response, but there wasn’t one.

“Farewell, then,” he said. “If I meet any other legendaries, I will try to persuade them to take measures against the War. Good luck.”

And then he was gone, vanished before their eyes as if he were never there.

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
Well hello. I’ve been reading this since I joined a few months ago. I work in retail sales and sometimes I have to wait for hours before I get a customer, so I usually use my phone to read a few different fics. When I started your’s, it was on some random Tuesday, and I ended up finishing it the following Thursday. I have to say that I was hooked pretty quick. Literally couldn’t go more than an hour without trying to finish another chapter. And honestly that doesn’t happen to me very much lol. I can see how you’ve progressed over the years, and my favorite chapters have to be all of them past forty or so. I read a few times that you said that the beginning wasn’t the best for you, but it’s nice to see your improvement chapter by chapter. I saw that you posted a new chapter yesterday, so after I read it I thought I might as well just review.

For me, Chalenor set the stage for everything. His introduction in the beginning (albeit dead), was some powerful foreshadowing, and I found myself really liking the small tidbits you threw in throughout the story. Obviously legendary’s are the ‘gods’ of Pokemon, but he (assuming Chalenor is a he), for some reason always seemed higher. Omnipotent almost. His power, which passed to Chaletwo was frightening and really inventive of you. Eyes closed and he can see the world, whereas if his eyes are open he can’t see and he destroys. It’s a really interesting twist that spoke volumes about what happened throughout the later chapters. They don’t know anything about what is and could happen, despite Chaletwo’s advice. Close your eyes and think, don’t believe what you see. I may be totally off base, but that’s what I got from it anyway.

Mark is the standout human for me. I know you had several things to say about the quality of your earlier chapters, and honestly, he was a little too cliché for me in the beginning. Living in the only area of his region without Pokemon, seeing all his friends go, his parents telling him he can’t, were all easy examples of the drive to make him want to leave, and to me it almost felt like he was just following every example of ‘classic action’ trainer. Especially his ignorance at some things. I mean, for a kid that is as enamored by Pokemon as he is, I felt like he should be the authority when it came to Pokemon. Specie, attacks, appearance, etc, are all things I thought he should know right away, so I was somewhat confused when he saw Pokemon from his own region and had no idea what they were. Eventually though in later chapters he started to redeem himself by speaking up and actually having an opnion, along with his acknowledgement and understanding that he wants to be a trainer, but may not be quite the fan of the whole ‘league’ aspect of it. To me, he loves Pokemon and he likes training and battling, but maybe the competiveness of it just isn’t for him; and I think he’s starting to realize that. That’s what I get from him anyway haha.

The agreement was a nice touch as well. Very inventive, and it made a lot of sense. Though I am somewhat confused by one rule, and I’m sorry if I’m missing something obvious. For example, when Tyranitar killed Taylor, if it was found out, would Tyranitar be put down? Would May be imprisoned? I felt like you mentioned consequences before but I just can’t seem to remember. Anyway, you did a good job attempting to put limits on Pokemon when it comes to battling and the relationship between Pokemon and their trainers. So often do I read fics that follow game law to the letter and don’t both to go behind the mechanics and rules behind it. Great job on that.

The Pokemon Festival chapters were a lot of fun as well. It’s not something I feel like I’ve seen in a fic before, and I have to say that those were my favorite to read so far. The attack approval was extremely inventive, and I salute your inventiveness because I doubt I ever would have thoughts of something like that. And who do we get introduced to as this is taking place? Why Alan and Ash Ketchum! Alan is interesting so far, and it’s nice to see your version of Adult Ash as well. The festival definitely seems like something he’d be down for, and you did a good job describing his actions and thoughts. To me, those feelings seem like ones he would actually have if we were able to examine him years in the future. The one thing I didn’t like was hi somewhat offhanded passing when it came to taking part in the quest years ago. I know that Alan being an infant was a factor, as well as his high profile, but the Ash that I’ve seen in different outlets has never passed up on something as epic and important as this, regardless of how it may look to the public. Hell, as a child he would race forward against three legendary’s at once lol. Not that you need to stick to what the anime/manga/games do when you expand on
characters, but that just felt slightly off to me.

One thing that felt off to me was your use of coloration words throughout the fic. One part that really sticks out for me is when you had someone call one of the Pokedex’s ‘Kyorgre’ colored. That just seemed really odd to me. I’m sure you know this but sometimes it is okay to call the color blue, blue. Lol, I try harder with words and use synonyms a lot in my own fic to spice things up with different words, but sometimes I catch myself going over the line and it becomes almost too much, if that makes sense? One other thing, in Chapter 30, every time that ‘Pokemon’ is spelled, it comes out as ‘Pok&#233’. It’s probably just some weird typo, but you may want to go back and fix that because it became somewhat hard to read after awhile.

I’m kinda caught between Entei’s theory and how to deal with the coming war, and Chaletwo’s. Obviously being in a Pokeball is a way to take you out of the fight, but when you can easily be released that kinda rules that choice out. But at the same time if you were to make a soul gem and hide your essence in a Pokemon that can get captured as well, it presents the same problem. Obviously as Chaletwo explained in one of the chapters, they won’t die willingly if they can help it. I mean, it’s a natural reflex to fight in some way for survival, but even more so when you’re immortal and don’t have to worry about succumbing to old age. It’s funny, as I write this I’m going back through chapters in my head trying to decide which plan I like better, and I feel like I’m answering my own question. Screw it, at least if they’re all captured they are all in one place; so I guess that’s the route I would take. The plot is shaping up really well, and I feel like if you keep doing this the same way you have been, this is easily going to end up at 85+ chapters.

The last thing I’ll touch on is the region/new Pokemon you’ve introduced. It really hows how talented you are since you can just seemingly invent this whole region. And not just invent it, but make it believable. I think I remember saying that you started this and invented town names when you were twelve? If that’s the case than I’m actually really impressed. 90% of the time, I would much rather read fic’s with established Pokemon and the normal regions that follow the normal routines. Your fic actually falls into that luck 10% that I really like to read. The Pokemon themselves were always excellently described, which is obviously a must since you’re inventing them, but I never had trouble believing their actions or powers. I don’t know many authors who are able to do what you have involving new Pokemon, and to be honest I haven’t really been immersed in any new Pokemon before, but I always got really excited when you described a new city or Pokemon. Really fantastic job.

Wow, I didn’t touch on half the stuff I wanted to. Partly because I’ve run out of time, and the main reason being that this fic is just so massive and has so many moving parts that I keep coming up with things I want to discuss lol. The portions I mentioned were the ones I wanted to touch on the most, and as you continue the story and put new chapters out, I’ll be able to really focus on specific points. All in all though, I’ve really enjoyed reading this, and you’ve done a really good job making this standout. You can definitely count on my continued reading.

Dragonfree

Just me
Hello, Sidewinder! Thanks for reading. I'm going to respond to some of your points, if you don't mind.

I mean, for a kid that is as enamored by Pokemon as he is, I felt like he should be the authority when it came to Pokemon. Specie, attacks, appearance, etc, are all things I thought he should know right away, so I was somewhat confused when he saw Pokemon from his own region and had no idea what they were. Eventually though in later chapters he started to redeem himself by speaking up and actually having an opnion, along with his acknowledgement and understanding that he wants to be a trainer, but may not be quite the fan of the whole ‘league’ aspect of it. To me, he loves Pokemon and he likes training and battling, but maybe the competiveness of it just isn’t for him; and I think he’s starting to realize that. That’s what I get from him anyway haha.
As Mark stated pretty explicitly in chapter 50 where he was telling his Pokémon he's going to stop training, he actually doesn't really like training or battling, and he never really has; he wanted to be a trainer because he loved being around Pokémon and because everyone else was a trainer, but moves and battles and strategy just aren't his thing and never interested him even before he set out on his journey. (Hence why at the beginning he's spending his time drawing in battling class.) I do assume in the world of the fic (now - please chalk the early "what is this scorpion Pokémon from my own region whose existence has completely escaped my notice until now even though we have a ridiculously dangerous desert that is completely full of them" up to fourteen-year-old me's flimsy excuses for infodumping about her fake Pokémon) that the average person recognizes every species of Pokémon, and he has a pretty good grasp on stuff like types, but things like abilities or exactly what attacks Pokémon learn or other more battle-exclusive features aren't really within his area of interest any more than an animal lover would necessarily feel the need to know cell biology, so his knowledge of those is a lot shakier.

For example, when Tyranitar killed Taylor, if it was found out, would Tyranitar be put down? Would May be imprisoned?
May is a juvenile, so no, she wouldn't be imprisoned, but the trainer would be considered partly responsible when it's a trained Pokémon. Pokémon aren't part of the human legal system; if someone is killed by a wild Pokémon, it is treated as an accident (though if a Pokémon were out systematically killing humans or trained Pokémon, League officials would go out and deal with it).

The one thing I didn’t like was hi somewhat offhanded passing when it came to taking part in the quest years ago. I know that Alan being an infant was a factor, as well as his high profile, but the Ash that I’ve seen in different outlets has never passed up on something as epic and important as this, regardless of how it may look to the public. Hell, as a child he would race forward against three legendary’s at once lol. Not that you need to stick to what the anime/manga/games do when you expand on
characters, but that just felt slightly off to me.
No, you kind of do need to stick to characters' fundamental character. I was just terrible at it. :p I doubt Ash is going to appear in the next revision at all. (Until then, my excuse is that he grew up and sometimes people are very different as adults from what they were like as kids.)

One thing that felt off to me was your use of coloration words throughout the fic. One part that really sticks out for me is when you had someone call one of the Pokedex’s ‘Kyorgre’ colored. That just seemed really odd to me. I’m sure you know this but sometimes it is okay to call the color blue, blue.
It is 'Kyogre-colored' because Mark's Pokédex is a "Kyogre edition" with a general Kyogre-themed design (i.e. blue and white with decorative red lines resembling Kyogre's markings), as described way too lengthily in chapter five. Believe me, I wouldn't randomly use "Kyogre-colored" when I just mean "blue", even when I was fourteen. (Which isn't to say "Kyogre-colored" isn't a pretty weird and confusing way to refer to something patterned to resemble Kyogre, but at least that's just general poor writing as opposed to wtf.)

One other thing, in Chapter 30, every time that ‘Pokemon’ is spelled, it comes out as ‘Poké’. It’s probably just some weird typo, but you may want to go back and fix that because it became somewhat hard to read after awhile.
That happened to a lot of old posts with és in them during the forum move; I'll look into fixing it.

The plot is shaping up really well, and I feel like if you keep doing this the same way you have been, this is easily going to end up at 85+ chapters.
76, actually; I've got the rest plotted out chapter by chapter. There could be tweaks, but it's likelier to end up shorter than longer.

Thanks for the long review, and I hope you keep on reading.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
ASDFHDGFHJDGHSGF OH GOD WHAT.

Okay…*takes deep breath* Let me explain.

As I am writing these words, I have not yet read the chapter. Or rather, I started to. I got to the part where Mewtwo showed up and was of course instantly intrigued. But then I started watching some anime with my roommate and forgot about the chapter, and then when I came back to it, I scrolled down a bit too far and caught sight of this:
She rambled incoherently about the War and Chalenor and escaping it
AND MY BLOOD INSTANTLY RAN COLD.

You see…when I post things, I tend to plan out what I will say far in advance. And when I saw you had a new chapter, I already began planning my typical rambles earlier this afternoon. They were going to go something like this:
[Spoil]
Dragonfree said:
Then it's chapter 61. I don't know how long it'll take. It is a plot chapter, though, which is nice. Will it intrigue you if I tell you the working title is 'Mewtwo'?
YES. YES IT DID. IT LEFT ME SPECULATING FOR MONTHS YOU HAVE NO IDEA. In fact before I saw that you had posted a new chapter, my brain would not shut up with the speculating. Dx And it kept getting progressively crazier as time went on.
Chibi's brain: Chalenor is still alive! Mew knows more about the last war than he is letting on! Chalenor took Mewtwo back in time as some sort of plot to stop the last war! Nowait Chalenor is the destroyer!!![/spoil]
Okay, okay, some context. I was thinking about Chalenor (for…reasons…) and then recalled how you said that he’d be significant later in the fic. And then my brain just went off the deep end, generating all sorts of random theories, many of which made no sense or contradicted each other, but some of which I actually found interesting, but couldn’t come up with any kind of evidence for (therefore, I decided against actually telling you any of them until I had enough substance behind any of them to make one of my typical “big speculation posts”.)

Ogod…I need to just read the chapter already.

Alright…reading it now.

“And that doesn’t make sense because living creatures belong to a certain time and should bounce back there when the Destroyer has drained the power that’s keeping them there. But Mewtwo’s body isn’t quite a living creature, is it?”
YES. Oh man, yes. I KNEW that whole “maybe it was okay for him to take someone back with him” thing couldn’t possibly be right.
Mew and Chalenor must have gone to the future together looking for ‘insurance’. And then, after the War, he used that body to create Chaletwo. It all fits.”
There was a line earlier in the fic. I don’t remember where, but I remember it being something along the lines of someone theorizing that there was a previous attempt to stop the war that went bad, and then Chaletwo dismissing it, or something. That line was one that stood out very much in my mind.
“But still,” Mark went on, “I wasn’t suggesting he was the Destroyer, just that he lied. Maybe he just thinks he made a horrible mistake trying to escape the War for some reason, doesn’t want you to know about it because he doesn’t want you to try, and discouraged you from trying to stop it for the same reason. Isn’t that at least possible? Didn’t you say he was really devastated after the last War?”
ASDFSAFDSFADGAS, SEE?
“Do you know that?” May said. “Because it sounds more like an assumption to me.”
THANK YOU MAY. Seriously, that was what had been eating at my head the most throughout all those nights of speculating. We only saw Chalenor’s eye. How did we ever even know he died? And every time you have answered a theory with “Chalenor is dead” it seemed too…impassive and matter-of-fact for there to not be more to the story.

(And yes, I know that May is specifically questioning the certainty of the cause of Mew's depression, rather than the certainty of Chalenor's death, but I still like that line regardless.)
“So,” Mewtwo said after a pause, slowly, “supposing Chaletwo does come for me, what will happen if I do not go with him?”
…You mean Chalenor?

*Finishes chapter.*

YESSSSS oh man here we go yeessssss.
[spoil]You see, the long long wait combined with the knowledge that the chapter would be about Mewtwo, and my long-held speculation that the questions about Mewtwo’s time traveling would turn out to be very important made me beyond excited at the prospect that this chapter would contain some new factor that would change everything. And while I’m a bit disappointed that there isn’t more (at this point, all we really have are the main characters with a bunch of theories, and nothing conclusive) I know that this is setting up for big things down the line.

But…why Mewtwo’s body…before reading the chapter, I was theorizing that Chalenor needed Mewtwo for something, but it failed, or even that having Mewtwo’s body get made into Chaletwo was somehow all part of his plan (though he really couldn’t have known that Mewtwo’s body would be whole enough to do that.)

But none of that is relevant anymore with this new information. Mew needed Mewtwo for something. I refuse to let go of this. The fact that it was Mewtwo, specifically was important. I want to know how Mew learned of Mewtwo’s existence, how he found Mewtwo. The fact that Mewtwo is a clone of him is important for something I just know it. It was something he needed himself for, but could not/did not want to use himself, and needed the next best thing—his clone.

Also…they could have travelled forward to any specific time, really…but they chose to go so far forward that we hit almost the next War. This reveals a lot. One: Mew did not know about Mewtwo before their time journey. Otherwise they would have just gone and grabbed him from twenty years ago or so. Two: there is more to the time travel mechanics than meets the eye. A time traveler must bound by what they learn in the future for any of this to make sense (otherwise we get all sort of paradoxes, because what happens if they were trying to stop the War but then see proof of their own failure?)

…Unless!!! Mewtwo was not needed for that plan, but rather, a different plan that they came up with when they found out that their first one would fail! But they specifically needed Mewtwo from right before the next War, either that or they didn’t find out that they even needed him at until they learned something in this time. So did their plan for a Mew replacement fail, or was Chaletwo planned all along…hmm…

(You know, as a random side note, if it turns out that the whole plot of tqftl was caused a big Xanatos gambit set in place by Mew ages ago, I will laugh so hard because our fics need to stop having similarities.)

Anyways, I may now know that I misread that line I quoted up at the top (when I saw it out of the corner of my eye, I read it as “Chalenor escaping it” which is what freaked me out the most because I thought it was proof that Chalenor was actually alive, even though that was not what was actually written.) Still, I am not going to let go of my crazy Chalenor theories! There is way more than meets the eye with him, I just know it! Even that sarcastic line where Molzapart questioned the supposed guardian of life’s having lethal weapons in his eye sockets is starting to eat at my mind![/spoil]
Also I don’t think you should delete Molzapart from the IALCOTN. I had a big list of reasons why, but I’ll save that for another day. :p

Gah. These long chapter waits make me go slightly insane. But that’s okay. Because knowing that SOME DAY it will all be resolved is more than enough to make even the longest wait totally worth it. Someday this will all be resolved. That is the best feeling in the world (and I already know what I’m going to do for that day.)

~Chibi~;249;;448;

(And yes. I specifically quested to find a place with internet just to post this, rather than waiting til later in the week like I thought I would.)

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
I never replied to Chibi Pika's insanely long theorizing ramble? Blasphemy!

...well, I can't do much in the way of replying other than sitting triumphantly on my throne of plot and grinning knowingly, but that was very fun to read and I'm thrilled whenever somebody's brain goes wild with speculation, so keep at it! It's also going to be fun to look back on when I've finished the fic.

Anyway. I have chapter 62. I also have news: I'm currently attempting to finish this fic for NaNoWriMo, as in this November's NaNoWriMo. I've already finished chapter 63 and am well into chapter 64. Obviously those are rough drafts of rough drafts, so I'm not going to be posting these chapters as I go, but chapter 62 was finished before NaNo (I just couldn't post it because I was in England and having epic times with elyvorg), so that's being posted now.

The projected remaining length of the fic assuming the chapters that are left are as long on average as the chapters so far is something like 68,000 words, which should be doable. Moreover, I strongly suspect the average remaining chapter length is considerably shorter than the average chapter length so far, because the longest chapters so far have been so because they featured major battles between trainers, and there aren't a lot of those left (none unless something changes, actually), and the average chapter length discounting those chapters would be significantly lower. And even aside from all averages, a lot of the remaining chapters are just chapters that I suspect will be fairly short. So all in all I think my chances are pretty good.

Moreover, even if I don't make it all the way in November, I'll probably get reasonably far at the very least, and that would be a huge help because the next bunch of chapters are not chapters I've been looking forward to writing for years, and it would probably have taken ages to prod me into finishing them. Just getting into the seventies chapters would be a huge help, because at that point I'd have my excitement for the final chapters urging me on. So even if it doesn't get finished in November, it's quite likely I wouldn't take that long after that to get to the finish line.

Again, I'm not going to be posting chapters as I finish them in November, because they would be terrible. When November is over I'll take the chapters I wrote and edit them for posting. I don't know how long it will take, but I hope to be able to post the final chapter no later than June 19th 2013, the fic's eleventh birthday. (April 3rd is the HMMRCIG version's ninth; that would also be a reasonably poetic possibility if my editing is somewhat quicker than that - but do note that last time I did NaNoWriMo, I was excited enough about the editing to finish posting it in January. I'll probably edit better now because I'm five years older and better at writing, but.)

Anyway. Chapter 62. Enjoy.

Chapter 62: Diplomacy

Mark didn’t know what he had been expecting, but he had not been expecting Raudra and Puragon to descend murderously upon them the moment they were within range of the Eastern Cliffs.

“Floatzel, Weavile, Ice Punch!” May shouted, eyes wide, as the two dragons dived towards them. Without hesitation, Floatzel leapt at Raudra and Weavile at Puragon, each delivering powerful blows that sent them veering off course. “Mark, Alan, send out your Pokémon, quick!”

Mark automatically fumbled for his Pokéballs as the dragons recovered in the air and swooped in for another assault. “You don’t have to do this!” Chaletwo said to their attackers. “If you’d only be caught willingly, this would be so much easier...”

“Kidnapper!” Raudra roared and fired a bright Flamethrower towards Mark; he threw himself unthinkingly to the side and crashed into the ground as Floatzel darted into the Fire attack with a Waterfall in her wake, neutralizing it. His heart hammered in his chest as he scrambled back to his feet, only one thought managing to take hold in his mind: Raudra and Puragon were aiming for them, not their Pokémon. They had no intention of respecting the Agreement; they just wanted to kill them.

“We can release her!” he shouted frantically. “We’ll release Dragoreen if you want, if you just agree to...”

“Why should we trust you?” Puragon hissed as she swung her tail at Skarmory and sent him spiralling towards Raudra, who received him with a jet of fire. “Why should we do anything for you, when you came here with deceit and violence and stole her away in a Master Ball?”

“Because otherwise you’re dooming the whole world, that’s why,” Chaletwo said. “Don’t play dumb. We know you know about the War.”

“You can make soul gems!” Mark called, raising his hands to show no Pokéballs in the vain hope that the peaceful gesture would help somehow. “If you don’t want to be caught, you don’t...”

“Deceitful child!” Raudra spat, aiming another Flamethrower; as Weavile leapt up to strike Puragon with an Ice Punch, she turned and fired the Flamethrower at her instead. “You who threw the Master Ball when we had won the battle, you who...”

Make them calm down. Something, anything, to make them calm down. “I’m sorry!” Mark shouted, grasping wildly at his belt for his Pokédex. “Look!”

“Are you out of your mind?” Chaletwo said inside his head as he fumbled at the buttons with shaking fingers. “You can’t just –”

“Mewtwo said we should try to negotiate, right?” Mark said, almost convincing himself this was a good idea as he took the Master Ball he had swapped Scyther for and threw it.

“See,” he called as Dragoreen began to form in mid-air, over Chaletwo’s vehement protests, “she’s unharmed, it’s okay, you can just...”

Dragoreen’s distorted screech materialized into a furious roar; her gigantic tail swung and lashed out, and a vicious force smashed into Mark’s arm. The world spun; he realized in a split second that the Master Ball was no longer in his fingers, and then everything gave way into blinding pain.

“Idiot!” Chaletwo hissed at him as he crumpled face-down to the ground, his vision swimming. “Negotiating doesn’t mean negating everything we achieved last time! What did you think that would accomplish?”

He indistinctly heard May say, “Oh, damn it – Floatzel, dive after that Master Ball, quick! Weavile, cover her!”

“Liar,” Puragon said, icy disdain in her voice. “Pretending to release her but wanting to keep the ball?”

“Cowards,” Raudra muttered; Mark felt the heat rush of an oncoming Flamethrower and made a feeble attempt to move, but his good arm was shaking too much. He heard Mist’s cry and the heat dissipated; he could only assume she’d deflected the attack.

“Are you okay?” he heard a voice say next to him and realized it was Alan, who must have run up to check on him.

“I’m... I don’t know,” he mumbled, but wasn’t sure he was heard. Searing pain was still pulsing through his limp right arm with every pounding beat of his heart. He tried to stand up again, but to no avail. “Chaletwo, I can’t... I can’t...”

“Don’t try to stand up. Just send out your Pokémon. They can fight on their own. Goddamn it, why did you do that?”

Mark shook his head and managed with a heave of effort and support from Alan to roll over onto his back. “Please,” he said, as loudly as he could manage; that wasn’t very loudly, so he took a painful breath and tried again. “Please, just listen. We’re only fighting back because you attacked. If we could just have a ceasefire...”

“A ceasefire?” Raudra snarled. Her body was cloaked in dragon flames; she must have used Outrage while Mark was down, and in that state she couldn’t be very receptive to the idea.

“I bet our brothers sent you,” Puragon said before she fired an Ice Beam at Charlie.

At that seemingly off-hand comment, Raudra hissed fiercely. “Yes, they must have,” she said. “Scheming males!”

“We should have known,” Puragon growled.

“I bet they made up the War of the Legends, too, so they could get at us,” Raudra said, fury building in her voice.

“What?” Mark said in panicked bewilderment as Puragon voiced her immediate agreement with Raudra’s theory. “No! What are you talking about?”

“Idiots!” Chaletwo shouted. “Haven’t you felt your power growing weaker? Didn’t Mew explain the War to you himself?”

“You’re on their side!” Raudra spat and scorched Raichu and Stantler with a Fire Blast. “You’re all on their side! Coming here and kidnapping our sister and lying!”

“Trying to rope us into your harebrained scheme,” said Puragon.

“Should kill all of you, to send them a message,” Raudra suggested.

“If only we could see the look on their faces.”

Mark stared at the dragons, who were reaching a bizarre agreement that that was the correct course of action, and wished he could rewind the past few minutes. Chaletwo was right: attempting to negotiate had seemingly only made the sisters more determined to kill them. He should never have even tried.

Looking quickly around, he realized Weavile was lying fainted on the ground near Raudra; he grabbed her Pokéball with his left hand, recalled her, and did his best to throw three of his other balls. Charizard, Jolteon and Dragonite materialized, rushing for their respective planned targets; he cursed that he’d fallen too far from the cliff to be able to send out Gyarados.

He looked around again to try to properly take in the state of the battle. Out of Alan’s team, only Diamond remained, making impressive leaps to dodge Puragon’s attacks but not having much luck actually striking her, though Blaziken was doing better. Mutark was hanging onto Raudra by her claws, slashing at her belly with her teeth, but with another Outrage, she fell limp to the ground. Stantler’s attempts at Hypnosis weren’t working on either of them. They were losing again, he realized with a sickening knot of dread in his stomach – in large part because his stupid attempt to pacify them had led to them unexpectedly fighting three dragons instead of two.

Speaking of which, said a wary voice in the back of his mind, where’s Dragoreen?

He turned quickly and found her hovering to the right, over the cliffs. He’d registered her firing Thunderbolts and Dragonbreaths earlier, picking off their Pokémon as they tried to attack her sisters, but she wasn’t now; she was looking between the other dragons, hesitantly. “What is the War of the Legends?” she said.

“A lie is what it is,” Raudra snarled. “Devious manipulation.”

“It’s the reason you’ve been losing your powers,” Chaletwo said. “Your crazy sisters are in denial, but you’ve got to have noticed.”

For a split second Dragoreen hung there, clearly dissatisfied; then, all of a sudden, she was diving straight towards Mark. He screamed as sharp claws dug into his sides; pain shot through his arm again, replaced by panic and nausea when she pulled him off the ground and swooped back over the edge of the cliffs, taking him with her. “Tell me,” she hissed as she stopped in mid-air; his gaze could only find the sharp rocks that pierced the foaming water far, far below. “Tell me the truth or I’ll drop you.”

“It’s, it’s, it’s a thing, the legendaries are going to go mad and fight until there’s only one left,” he blurted out without thinking. On the cliffside, Alan, May and his Pokémon were staring towards him, and he wondered for a split second in a bizarre anger why they weren’t doing anything; then he realized all they could do was make her more likely to drop him. Raudra and Puragon, both cloaked with dragon fire, rushed back at the Pokémon, and they were forced to turn their attention back to the fight at hand. He was on his own.

“Why?” Dragoreen said, boring her claws into his ribcage; it took him a moment to wrap his terrified brain around what she was talking about.

“The, there’s a legendary that’s the Destroyer, and it makes it happen every thousand years, it drains your power and then redistributes it evenly –”

“Mew explained it to your sisters,” Chaletwo said. “I’m trying to stop it by having all the legendaries caught in Pokéballs before it happens. If I’m right, it will stop the War from happening.”

“Why didn’t we know about this?” she asked; below, the waves crashed against the cliffs, cold and merciless. Mark’s mind replayed a hypothetical fall in a wretched loop that he couldn’t break out of: a rush of air, a spray of salt, water in his lungs, smashing against rocks, blood mixing with the seawater.

“Mew forbade us to...”

“We should have told you!” Mark said frantically, squeezing his eyes shut. “It was wrong to attack you without explaining what was going on and to use the Master Ball – I’m sorry!”

For several seconds, Dragoreen was silent, her body lurching up and down with every beat of her wings, sending Mark’s stomach roiling. He heard Raudra cry out in pain among the Pokémon; they might have been bringing her down at last.

“Stop,” Dragoreen said, shaking him for emphasis; a fresh jolt of pain coursed from his arm, wrenching his eyes back open. “Stop attacking, or he dies.”

They did; as one, his Pokémon froze and stepped back in alarm, and some strange part of Mark managed to be weirdly touched. Raudra was beginning to crawl to her feet; Puragon, who was still in the air, took a deep breath and started to gather ice crystals in front of her mouth.

“You too!” Dragoreen said. “Stop it!”

Puragon turned towards her, clearly outraged, but let the ice dissolve nonetheless. “Do you believe their lies?”

“Did Mew tell you about this War of the Legends or not?”

“Our brothers must have threatened...”

“That’s not what happened!” Mark shouted desperately, his sides still aching. “We’ve been out capturing legendaries since May, and some trainers have been around doing it for years – it had nothing to do with you!”

“That’s what you say,” Raudra spat. “You would say anything to get us to agree.”

“You’ve been losing your power and this is why! Get it through your thick skulls that –”

“Chaletwo,” Dragoreen said sharply. “You do not insult my sisters. If you do it again, I will throw your vessel in the ocean and you can watch the War from there.”

“The power loss is a good point,” May said before Chaletwo could respond to the threat; Mark had never been so glad to hear her speak. “How do you explain it if you deny the War?”

“It’s just one of their tricks,” Puragon said, but there was a hint of uncertainty in her voice this time.

“It’s not a trick! If they could drain your powers away, they’d have attacked you already to take advantage of it! You of all Pokémon should know them well enough to realize that!”

Puragon looked unsurely at Mark, then at Dragoreen. “They’re lying!” Raudra hissed from her place on the ground. “It’s all trickery, all of it. They want to confuse us and string us along so they can laugh at us.”

There was a strange note of desperation in her voice, almost pleading, and from somewhere within Mark’s panicked mind came a pang of pity. This wasn’t just some petty, hateful sibling rivalry; it was a genuine, obsessive paranoia, so deep-set and all-consuming that it poisoned all rational thought. Raudra really believed that everything was somehow orchestrated by her brothers, and she was probably terrified out of her wits. Dragoreen likely only had a somewhat more objective perspective because this was the first time she was hearing about the War, instead of having had it feeding into existing fears for months with nobody but an equally paranoid sibling to discuss it with.

“Look,” May said very carefully, looking at Dragoreen; her eyes were wider than usual, but her voice was steady. “When you’re caught, you stop losing your powers. You felt that, right?”

Dragoreen nodded slowly.

“We’re going to capture your brothers too. And because we went for you first, if you let yourselves be caught, they’re going to have lost more of their powers by the time they’re caught, so at the end you’re going to be more powerful than them. But if you continue to fight back and kill all of us, and your brothers make the smart choice when one of the other trainers finds them, it will be the other way around.”

“Lies!” Raudra snarled, releasing a Flamethrower in May’s direction; she scrambled to the side at the same time as her Blaziken rushed to deflect it with a Heat Wave.

“Stop,” Dragoreen said. “They’re right. We stop losing our powers if we’re caught. There’s no sense waiting around as we grow weaker.”

“Could we really gain the upper hand on them?” Puragon asked with a wary interest.

“Yes,” May said firmly. “The sooner you’re caught compared to them, the better.”

On any other day Mark would have winced at the idea of encouraging this, but at the moment he didn’t care; if it made Dragoreen put him down, it was worth it. He listened with shaking breaths as Dragoreen and Puragon encouraged Raudra to agree, and as Raudra continued to refuse and tell them with increasing fanaticism they were being taken in by a massive conspiracy, but increasingly couldn’t focus on them under his building nausea and the pulsing pain and pins-and-needles sensation in his arm and the claws still clutching at his ribs.

By the time he thought maybe Raudra was starting to budge a little, everything had blended together into arguing voices and pain and sickness.

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
“Kidnapper!” Raudra roared and fired a bright Flamethrower towards Mark; he threw himself unthinkingly to the side and crashed into the ground as Floatzel darted into the Fire attack with a Waterfall in her wake, neutralizing it.

I feel like this is a missed opportunity to put in a little more description. The sound the roaring flame makes, the hiss of steam as the waterfall hits the flame and cancels it out, maybe describing the wet track the waterfall left behind on the way to the flame, etc. Hell, you know better than anyone how much more enjoyment a bit more description can bring.

“You can make soul gems!” Mark called, raising his hands to show no Pokéballs in the vain hope that the peaceful gesture would help somehow. “If you don’t want to be caught, you don’t...”

I really gotta hand it to Mark for trying to give them this option when he knows it won't work at all; that he won't be able to calm them down. I've been to that point myself, where you're in a situation you can't control so you start screaming things or lashing out with actions because at your core you're scared and have no idea what to do. If that was your intention with this quoted portion, you did a wonderful job

Dragoreen’s distorted screech materialized into a furious roar; her gigantic tail swung and lashed out,

Yup, figured that would happen. Actually I thought it would try and eat him, but yeah

At that seemingly off-hand comment, Raudra hissed fiercely. “Yes, they must have,” she said. “Scheming males!”

Lol that line made me actually lol

“Idiots!” Chaletwo shouted. “Haven’t you felt your power growing weaker? Didn’t Mew explain the War to you himself?”

“You’re on their side!” Raudra spat and scorched Raichu and Stantler with a Fire Blast. “You’re all on their side! Coming here and kidnapping our sister and lying!”

It really wouldn't surprise me if this is the last straw and how it started. With their little fight being the match to the gas.

Mutark was hanging onto Raudra by her claws, slashing at her belly with her teeth

That sentence didn't make sense to me at first because I couldn't imagine how you would 'slash with teeth', but then I remembered what Mutark looked like. She is the one with the sabertooth like teeth, correct? Because if that's the one I'm thinking of then the quoted portion would work.

“Tell me the truth or I’ll drop you.”

That'll inspire the truth from someone lol

“They’re lying!” Raudra hissed from her place on the ground. “It’s all trickery, all of it. They want to confuse us and string us along so they can laugh at us.”

You summarized his paranoia extremely well in the paragraph after this quoted sentence, but I chose to comment on this because this whole chapter Raudra has rightly seemed somewhat more standoffish and psychotic than her sisters, and wanted to let you know I thought you did a good job slowly dripping the little hints about her throughout the chapter rather than commenting on it right away.

into arguing voices and pain and sickness.

You might consider losing sickness. Not only does arguing voices and pain read and end well, but sickness just feels kinda thrown in last minute with no real objective.

All in all, it was a good chapter, which is what I've come to expect from you since I started reading the fic. Grammatically sound as always too, which is something I'm very envious of you for lol. I guess my only real gripe this chapter is with the length. I don't know how many pages it was but it felt like it ended before it should have. As I reached the end I found myself longing for the resolution of the conflict that's happening; which can be a good thing because it builds anticipation for the next chapter, but I felt like going a bit farther with it this time would have enhanced the read a little bit more. Besides that, nice job and I eagerly await the next chapter.

Dragonfree

Just me
Thanks for reviewing, Sidewinder. Mutark isn't "the one with the sabertooth-like teeth" (or at least I think you're thinking of Fangcat there), per se - it's the one that grows when it tastes its own blood - but one of the features that grow disproportionately is the fangs, so in her largest form, she can slash with her teeth. I haven't had the chance to implement your critiques, but you make good points.

So!

If you haven't seen my signature, I did successfully finish the fic for NaNoWriMo. (Kind of. I didn't write all of chapter 75 because I ended up deciding to do it completely differently than I'd been writing it, so that continuing from there wouldn't have made sense. And lots of chapters are going to be heavily edited and/or added to. But I basically finished, and conveniently it ended up just over 50,000 words from where I started. Whoo.)

Since then I've been editing the chapters, and although that's been taking longer than it ought to because my treacherous beta opaltiger distracted me by getting me to write Community fanfiction instead, chapter 63 is pretty much the way I want it by now. So because it's been a while since chapter 62 was posted, I'm going to just post chapter 63 now. Chapters 64 and so on are probably not going to show up until I've finished editing everything, unless I again feel it's been really long and I'm not going to make more changes to chapter 64.

Chapter 63 isn't overly exciting - it's mostly the characters talking and making plans - but it's important setup and I find it pretty fun anyway. Hope you enjoy it. Thanks to opal and elyvorg for beta-reading.

Chapter 63: Recovery

Mark woke and found himself on a bed with his arm in a cast.

He groaned and blinked as he tried to remember what had happened. Raudra and Puragon. How had it gone in the end? Were they safely on the PC?

“Oh, finally,” said a voice – not Alan or May’s voice, but still one that sounded strangely familiar. “You’re okay. Just relax and take it easy.”

In his blurry vision, he could see a small figure with messy, blond hair standing near his bed. His brain tried to place the voice, but he was only more puzzled once it did. “...Robin Riverstone?”

Robin chuckled. “Glad to hear you remember my name. I don’t think we ever even battled.”

“What?” was all Mark managed to say.

“Guys,” Robin called in the direction of a blob of light that Mark was starting to recognize as an open door, “he’s awake and really confused.”

Alan burst in a second later. “Mark? Oh, wonderful. Feeling okay?”

“Yeah,” Mark said, “but...”

“Raudra wasn’t happy, but with both of her sisters convinced, she ended up giving in. Dragoreen put you down, but then –”

Mark stared at him, inclining his good arm meaningfully towards Robin.

“She knows,” said May as she entered the room. “She saw us. Remember how the safari warden is her mom? Apparently they live close by.”

Robin grinned at Mark’s quizzical look. “You were pretty loud and visible. I came to check out what the commotion was about and arrived to find you trying to convince the Color Dragons to be captured. Didn’t think it was a good idea to butt in immediately, but once they were all in Pokéballs and I saw you were injured, I knew we had to get you help.”

“Apparently the warden has some medical training,” May added.

“And after they explained what was going on and we were done freaking out about legendaries and the end of the world, we figured taking you to a proper hospital wouldn’t be good for the whole secrecy thing, so she did what she could.”

Mark felt vaguely down his sides; they were covered in bandages and still hurt when he touched them. “So,” he started to say, but changed his mind when he realized properly how dry his mouth was. “Do you have some water?”

Robin scuttled off through the door and came back seconds later with a half-full glass. He accepted it gratefully and drank most of it.

“So,” he said again, his voice still weak, “am I going to be able to go out again and battle legendaries, or what?”

Robin frowned. “Probably not until several weeks from now. Your arm and all.”

Mark looked at May and Alan, wincing. “So what do we do now?”

“This is annoying,” Chaletwo said, making Mark jump; he’d forgotten he was there yet again. “But we were at a standstill anyway. We got Raudra and Puragon, and that means again we have no idea where the next legendaries are. The best we can do is try to gather more clues about where any of the others might be.”

“What about the male Color Dragons?” Mark asked. “Do you think their sisters might know anything about where they are?”

Chaletwo paused. “That’s a good point. We should talk to them.”

“And actually, I’ve been thinking,” May said. “After them, it’s just Mew and the Waraider herd, right? Well, the other kids you killed have presumably been looking for them for years now. Wouldn’t it be productive to try to contact them and see what they have? And more of us is always nice for when we have to battle eight legendaries at the same time.”

“Hm. I suppose perhaps we could try to track them down. We have their names.”

Mark thought of the girl who’d sent the distress call fighting Entei – Leah, wasn’t it? Her team was probably very powerful after years of legendary-fighting – he felt a lot better about the idea of battling the Waraider herd if she would be with them.

“So can I come?” Robin asked suddenly.

Mark blinked; May and Alan stared quizzically at her.

“I mean,” she went on, “I don’t have years of experience fighting legendaries, but I’m pretty good, and I’d like to think I could make myself useful. And my team’s been bored to tears just fighting each other since the League ended. I’d have to ask, but if I know them correctly I think they’d be game for a bit of excitement.”

“That... works out very well, actually,” Chaletwo said after a pause. “Then if you get good leads on the remaining Color Dragons, you could maybe check them out immediately with Robin standing in for Mark, instead of everyone sitting around until he recovers. Is your mother all right with this?”

Robin shrugged. “Ask her. Mom!”

“Yes, yes, I’m coming,” came the safari warden’s voice from somewhere else in the house. The sound of footsteps echoed in the hallway before she leaned in through the door. “Oh, our legendary-collector’s awake. You feeling okay?”

Mark nodded.

“They were wondering if I could go with them to hunt down some more dragons while he recovers,” Robin said with an innocent smile.

Mrs. Riverstone raised her eyebrows. “Grand. Well, are you going to get her killed? Because he got beaten up pretty bad.” She inclined her thumb towards Mark.

“That was just him being stupid,” May said.

“None of us have gotten hurt before,” Alan said, throwing May a glare. “It was a one-time incident, and they were very angry. We’re going to try to avoid fighting at all in the future. But it’s still dangerous. She could be a big help to us, but as her parent it’s your call.”

“Don’t see what you’d need her for if there wasn’t going to be fighting,” said Mrs. Riverstone dryly. “But, well, I don’t like telling her what she can do. I know she can look after herself, and her Pokémon are top-notch. I just hope I’ve raised her with enough common sense to not want to do anything too dumb.” She looked back at her daughter, pausing. “I trust you’re done with the jumping off cliffs practicing Fly thing?”

Robin grinned. “Don’t worry, Mom.”

“This legendary business,” her mother said, turning to Mark. “You’re sure that catching them all is going to do the trick? It sounds kind of flimsy, from how they explained it.”

“Not this again,” said Chaletwo irritably. “Have you got a better idea? Because I’d love to hear it.”

Mrs. Riverstone shrugged innocently, a gesture that made her look strikingly like her daughter. “Murdering the lot of them?”

“Very funny. No, that wouldn’t work even if we were that desperate. It takes a lot to kill a legendary if it isn’t voluntarily making a soul gem. My eyes could, but at this point I wouldn’t have the energy left to do it more than once or twice.”

She sighed. “Well, that’s a bind. What’s Plan B, then?”

“Plan B?”

“Well, I’d hope you have some kind of backup plan for if you fail,” Mrs. Riverstone said, frowning. “In the event that you realize the War is coming and you have no hope of capturing the remaining legendaries in time, or you realize capturing just won’t work, what will you do then?”

“In that event, the world ends,” Chaletwo said. “This isn’t a situation with multiple options. If the War happens, it’s over. We need to succeed.”

“And what, if you don’t succeed you’ll just lie down and wait for the rampaging legendaries to get you? Forgive me if I think that sounds a little daft. Any reason to think they’d attack an underground bunker with no legendaries in it, for instance, if I were to build one of those?”

“No, but that’s not much help.”

“Not for you, maybe,” Mrs. Riverstone said. “Don’t get me wrong; I do hope it works out – but if it’s looking hopeless, I want my daughter back here in my bunker unless she’s very sure she can still help out there. Understood?”

“Perfectly,” Chaletwo said grudgingly.

Robin and her mother shared a look; despite the warden’s casual attitude, there was a weary, motherly concern in her eyes. Butterflies were flitting about in Mark’s stomach – discussing the possibility of failure and putting others in danger wasn’t helping his vague guilt about delaying everyone with his injuries one bit. If the remaining legendaries had eluded the others for this long, didn’t that mean they were that much harder to find? Could finding them in the time they had left simply be impossible?

“We should talk to Dragoreen,” May said, breaking the silence. “I’m going outside. Who’s coming with me?”

After a moment’s hesitation, Alan and Robin turned around to go with her, Alan throwing Mark an apologetic smile. Mrs. Riverstone looked after them as they exited and then leaned against the foot of Mark’s bed, letting out a long breath.

“Stopping the end of the world, huh,” she said, looking in his eyes. “It’s a big thing for a kid to be doing. You must have a lot of courage.”

Mark thought of himself pleading with Dragoreen and didn’t feel very courageous. He tried to smile; it probably came out as more of a grimace.

“Robin’s made of courage, but she only just turned eleven. Was this really just you being stupid? Because this sounds more dangerous than you’re letting on, and while obviously this is important and it’s her life and her choices, I’d rather she didn’t come home with broken limbs or worse.”

He winced. “It was pretty stupid.”

“All right.” Her gaze lingered on him, not looking entirely convinced, but after a few seconds she stood up and prepared to leave. “Well, give me a shout if you need anything.”

Mark looked after her, feeling a nagging need to say something. “I’m still glad I did it,” he said as she reached the doorway. She turned around and looked at him questioningly.

“We were going to just capture them forcibly,” he said. “But because I released Dragoreen, we got them to agree willingly, and now they might tell us where the next legendaries are. If I hadn’t been stupid there, we’d have taken them by force and we’d be lost now. It was worth it.”

The safari warden gave him a grin. “I like your spirit,” she said before walking out.

-------

May took the minimized Master Ball out of her pocket as she stepped outside into the cold evening air. It was lucky, she thought grimly, that Floatzel had managed to retrieve it at all – it could easily have been eaten by a Gyarados. And even worse, if it had been merely lost and not destroyed, then... well, then they would have had to convince Dragoreen to make a soul gem, because then it would have been impossible to catch her in any other ball. She doubted the dragon would have taken that well.

“Right,” she said after confirming Alan and Robin were behind her. “Go.”

Dragoreen emerged in blinding white light, twice as tall as the Riverstones’ single-storey home; now that they weren’t battling her, she looked far more monstrously huge. She glanced warily over her surroundings before she folded her wings and settled down into a relaxed position. “What is it?” she said.

“We’re going after your brothers,” May said. “Do you have any idea where they might be?”

Dragoreen’s golden-yellow eyes surveyed her for a moment, her slitlike pupils narrowing. “You’re going to capture them, correct? All of them?”

“Yes.” May didn’t flinch, didn’t look away. She still resented that she’d been caught off guard when Dragoreen had taken Mark hostage; it was something Pokémon weren’t supposed to do, and she hadn’t been prepared for it, but she should have been – it was idiotic not to be – and she wouldn’t make that mistake again.

“Do you have a strategy?” the dragon asked.

“Our Pokémon have been training to fight many legendaries at once, and we know that you’re all Dragon/Flying-types with a double weakness to Ice. We’ll have to adapt our techniques to three opponents instead of two, but –”

“It wasn’t enough to capture us,” Dragoreen observed coolly.

May took a deep breath. “The first time we battled you, we weren’t ready. But we trained after that. The second time, we were expecting to fight only your sisters, with Mark’s Pokémon with us – that’s why we failed. If it hadn’t been for Mark, we would have caught them.”

“Fair enough,” Dragoreen conceded after a moment. “But are you sure you have the strength to get our brothers? Three are far more powerful than two, as you saw.”

“Yes, I know.” May exhaled slowly, measuredly. “But this time we’ll have more Pokémon, and we’ll have Robin, once we bring her Pokémon up to speed.” She gestured towards the younger girl.

Dragoreen gave a slow nod. “Is she any good?”

“She’s very good,” May said immediately. “I’ve battled her before.”

Robin grinned. “And she’d know. She’s the Champion.”

May pushed down the sudden sting in her gut, the flash of blood spreading over rocky ground. “No, I’m not the bloody Champion,” she said; Robin should know better than to think that, and it both annoyed and disappointed her that she didn’t. “And that’s beside the point. The point is Robin’s going to more than make up for the lack of Mark if we go now. We just need to know where they are. That’s where you come in.”

Dragoreen exhaled, still not taking her eyes off May; the gust of hot air from her nostrils gave a momentary strange sensation of standing by a fire on a windy day. “They’re in the Acaria mountain range,” she said finally. “They have a cave there.”

Alan frowned. “The Acaria mountains? They’re pretty big. Do you have anything more specific?”

Dragoreen shook her head.

He sighed. “Well, okay. Guess we’ll just have to look in every cave, then.”

Every cave in a mountain range? That was daunting – but May gave a decisive, undaunted nod anyway. “Thanks for your help,” she said. “I’ll recall you now before you lose any more power.”

“You’re welcome,” Dragoreen said, watching her with golden eyes before dissolving into red light and returning into the Master Ball.

-------

“Right,” May said when she stepped back into the guest room where Mark was. “Dragoreen told us the male dragons are in the Acaria mountain range somewhere. We might need to look for a bit, but that’s as good a thing as any to do while you’re recovering.”

Mark nodded. “All right.”

“And we should probably take your Pokémon along,” she went on. “You don’t have to be there for them to fight, and we can direct them as we can if needed. We can’t unlock your Pokédex without scanning your eye, obviously, but we can take six of your Pokéballs anyway. Having at least Weavile would be a huge asset.”

“I think we should bring Dragoreen,” Alan said as Mark nodded. “I know she said she didn’t know exactly where they are, but maybe she’d remember some of the landscape or just be ready to help us look. She knows them better than we do.”

Mark looked skeptically at him. “I don’t think working with their sister is going to help you catch them,” he said. “Remember how Raudra and Puragon were, after just theorizing we were working with them?”

Alan winced. “Fair point.”

“I think we might as well take her along,” May said. “Better than regretting it later. One less of Mark’s Pokémon won’t make much of a difference.”

Mark nodded again, then hesitated. “Don’t you think you should bring Chaletwo, too?”

May looked at him in puzzlement. “What for?”

“Negotiating,” Mark said. “Without Chaletwo, you have nothing backing up the War of the Legends story. Except Dragoreen, but again, that’s not exactly going to help if they’re anything like their sisters.”

“I thought that was a given,” Chaletwo said, a note of indignation in his voice. “I’m not going to just stay here twiddling my thumbs. If it’s wasting a ball you’re worried about, I can get into May’s head now and then you can put the ball back on Mark’s PC and give that slot to another Pokémon.”

May grimaced. She hadn’t really been intending to attempt negotiations; as far as she could tell, the Color Dragons were stark raving mad, and it was only by the sheerest luck that trying to talk to them had worked this one time. But she imagined Stantler would tell her she wasn’t giving the crazy murderous dragons a chance – plus even if Mark wouldn’t be there, Alan would, and so would Robin, who seemed to actually admire her. “Yeah,” she said reluctantly. “I guess.”

She rummaged through Mark’s bag for the Pokédex, scanned his eye with it, and switched Gyarados’s ball for Chaletwo. It seemed ridiculous to withdraw a legendary Pokémon from the PC like any other Pokémon – did League employees ever see activity like this in their logs and freak out?

The Pokédex bleeped cheerfully to indicate the transfer had completed, and she dropped the Pokéball and watched Chaletwo form in front of her. For a split second he looked at her with his creepy closed-but-not eyes, and then a strange pricking sensation arose deep in her brain, like her mind was going to come pouring out. She instinctively clutched at her forehead in a momentary jolt of surprised panic, but the feeling quickly faded into a faint tingling as Chaletwo disappeared back into the Pokéball.

“Well, here I am,” he said just as the throbbing was dying down, and she started again: it was an entirely different feeling than listening to him talk normally, like a voice in her head but with the volume turned up to the max, spreading out from inside the back of her skull. A creeping feeling that someone was looking over her shoulder lingered even after he went quiet.

Can you read my mind? she thought warily.

“Only what you’re thinking at the moment.”

She really should have realized this; it was perfectly obvious, in retrospect, but she hadn’t been thinking. She didn’t want him in her thoughts. Her thoughts were for her and her alone to know, not...

“Oh, come on. I thought you of all people wouldn’t let this get to you. Fine, we can make Alan the leader instead, but...”

“No,” she said firmly; the others gave her puzzled looks, and she realized belatedly that only she had heard that. “Sorry, just sorting things out with Chaletwo. I’m okay. Let’s go to bed; we should get up early tomorrow, shouldn’t we?”

As Mark and Alan looked at one another in confusion, May marched out of the room and tried not to think anything at all.

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
It was like two days after I Pm'd you asking about an update that you updated, haha. I don't know if you heard or not but I was in a car accident and loss the use of my hands for a bit, which prevented me from reviewing your stoy, as well as everyone else's. Sorry about that, but anyway, let's get to it!

“...Robin Riverstone?”

Hah, that's been awhile

“She saw us. Remember how the safari warden is her mom?

You're referring to Robin's mother, right? Hmm, it may have been so long since I've read the story that I don't remember this portion but i don't remember this

Waraider herd

I still love the name for them. Waraider, so awesome lol

“That was just him being stupid,” May said.

Hah!

but as her parent it’s your call.”

Alan saying that felt really odd to me. I mean, obviously it's her call, but him drawing attention to it just kinda felt outta place. If I was the mother I would tell that kid to screw off because I know it's my right to tell my daughter what's what. Not only tht, but Alan is actually pretty smart, so him saying that went against something I thought he would do. I'm not trying to needlessly harp on it, you understand, it just felt off to me

“In that event, the world ends,” Chaletwo said.

That was said with such finality. What a realist, I love it

did League employees ever see activity like this in their logs and freak out?

That's hilarious and a really astute observation. I can imagine that scenario really well haha

All in all, a pretty decent chapter. I liked the fact that the crew seems to be thinking more logically than earlier chapters and fully grasp what a perilous situation it is. At first, it seemed unrealistic that they would be so calm about going after it again, especially since mark got hurt, but the more I thought about it, their calmness was fitting. They have to realize that the odds are so stacked against them that all of them them dying is a real possibillity, and with that thought comes the understanding that they HAVE TO BE calm. I'm sure they'll have little freak-out moments, but you did a good job with this chapter. I'm eager for the next installment

Dragonfree

Just me
Well. It's sure been a while.

But the fic didn't die a tragic death so soon after its completion; I was just trying to get this chapter right. And I'm reasonably satisfied with the outcome now, but at this point I've been staring at it for over a year, so I'm not the best judge of it.

Next chapter should not take this long!

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek

The quickest way to Acaria City was to fly. Skarmory couldn’t fly as fast as Charizard with a trainer weighing him down, so May borrowed Mark’s Charizard. It was strange flying an unfamiliar Pokémon, and despite how many battles they’d been in together, she could never quite shake the feeling that she just didn’t trust him like one of her own.

(Chaletwo didn’t comment on that, but he was probably rolling his immaterial eyes.)

They reached the city in the evening and checked into a trainer hotel. Chaletwo hadn’t talked to her most of the day, which made her almost forget he was there at all; if anything that bothered her even more. She didn’t know how Mark could stand this.

“He can stand this because he doesn’t freak out over it,” Chaletwo said as she entered her room and collapsed onto the bed. “I don’t understand why you’re so tense. You know me; I know you; I already know your Tyranitar killed a boy. Exactly what are you afraid of?”

She winced. “That’s not the problem,” she said, turning onto her side.

“Then what is? Do girls your age think about boys or something? Because I assure you I’d tune that out anyway.”

“No!” She sat up in disgust. “What, is Mark thinking about girls all the time?”

“Thankfully, no.”

“Good.”

May lay back down with a sigh. There was silence.

“You still haven’t told me what –”

“Thoughts are supposed to be private,” she said between gritted teeth.

“I’m not going to blab everything you think to Mark, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“Again, that’s not the point.”

“Then I don’t have the faintest idea what is.”

What was the point? May wasn’t entirely sure how to answer that. Thoughts were random and uncontrollable, and people should have conscious control over how they appeared to others. That didn’t mean they had anything to hide. It was just... who you were was the choices you made about what to say and do, and if somebody was reading your mind, you didn’t have a choice about anything. It was creepy and terrifying.

“What? Of course you can still choose what you say and do. It’s not mind-control.”

May clenched her jaw and thought about empty white space.

“If it helps,” Chaletwo said after a moment, “I don’t have to read your thoughts all the time. I can tune you out completely unless you ask for me or something important is going on.”

She shook her head. “I’m fine.”

Chaletwo gave a long telepathic sigh. “If you insist. What do you think of our prospects without Mark?”

“We have Robin,” she said.

“She’s a whole lot better than nothing, obviously, but you and Mark did train for a couple of months for legendary battles, which she hasn’t.”

“But Robin is good at battling, which Mark isn’t, so that pretty much balances it out.”

“I wouldn’t go that far. Mark made it to the quarterfinals of the League. I realize you’re the more skilled battler, but…”

“Mark is okay,” May said firmly, “but Robin is top-notch. She’ll pick up the strategy in no time. If anything we’re better off now.”

Chaletwo sighed again. “Well, I suppose optimism is nice. Either way, you should get some sleep; tomorrow will be a long day.”

May nodded and stood up to brush her teeth, and Chaletwo didn’t speak again for the rest of the night.

-------

May had only had a vague idea about the existence of the Acaria mountains. People didn’t exactly study Ouenian geography in Johto, and while of course they’d been to the city before, she hadn’t paid much attention to the mountains in the background when they’d approached it then – she’d never been one to spend her time admiring landscapes.

But now that they were there, flying over the mountain range, she could see that, depressingly, Alan was right: the mountains seemed to go on forever, and they were so littered with cracks and holes that it was a wonder they hadn’t collapsed into a pile of rubble. There had to be thousands of caverns. Not all of them could house huge legendary dragons, of course, but that didn’t help them find those few.

“Let’s land here and plan things out,” she shouted as they finished their initial flyover. They’d been vaguely hoping to run into dumb luck such as happening to see one of the dragons, but predictably enough, that hadn’t happened. Wisps of clouds rushed past as Charizard descended; the Acaria skies were cold and wet today. Grateful for the wool-lined coat she’d bought in Green Town in October, she clung to the Pokémon’s neck and braced herself for the landing: despite being faster than Skarmory, Charizard weren’t nearly as nimble or precise in their flight. (Well, maybe Robin’s was, given the acrobatics she’d seen him do at the League – but she wasn’t about to point that out to Mark’s Charizard.)

“Right,” she said when she’d climbed off his back and recalled him. “Alan, I was thinking you could start looking around the area while I introduce our fighting strategy to Robin and her team. Take Skarmory; Charlie’s probably exhausted.”

She switched the ball she was holding with Skarmory’s and handed it in Alan’s direction. He looked annoyingly surprised, in that particularly Alanish way designed to tell her what an awful person she usually was. “Yeah,” he said. “He is. Thanks.”

“You’re welcome,” she said anyway as he took the ball and sent Skarmory out. The vulture gave May a disappointed glance when Alan explained he was going with him, which was at least grimly satisfying.

Once they were gone, she finally turned to the other girl, exhaling. Robin was still standing by her Charizard’s side and looking eagerly at May, her eyes practically sparkling with enthusiasm. She’d been wearing an excited grin since they’d set off, and apparently her cheek muscles still hadn’t tired of it. After hanging around Mark and Alan for all this time, May couldn’t quite decide whether this was a refreshing change or indicated a bizarre lack of perspective on what was going on.

“Well, what are we waiting for?” she said. “Send out your team so we can get started.”

She took out her Pokéballs and May shielded her eyes from the blinding light of five Pokémon materializing. Robin had briefly introduced her Pokémon to them before they’d left, of course, but most of that conversation had gone into explaining the War of the Legends and answering their many questions, so there hadn’t been much in the way of considering battle strategy. May would have to work from what she’d gathered about how they fought from their battle at the League, at least for now.

“Well,” she said, glancing over the group, “first off, you’ll be flying Charizard, so he’s not going to be battling. I’m not taking any chances with them being friendlier than their sisters, and the last thing we want is a repeat of the Mark disaster, so he’s going to want to devote his full attention to keeping you out of their way.”

The dragon Pokémon nodded firmly. If he was tired after the long flight, he didn’t show it – he was breathing slowly and measuredly, each calm exhalation forming a thick cloud of mist in front of his nostrils. In a way it seemed backwards; Robin’s Charizard was considerably smaller and leaner than either Mark’s or Charlie, and while it made intuitive sense that this made him faster and more agile, May wouldn’t have expected him to excel in endurance as well. She wasn’t sure if that was genetics or if it was Robin’s doing.

“So, again, the dragons are all Dragon/Flying-types. They don’t look it or fight like it, but Ice attacks are always going to be the best choice. Rock and Dragon are good too – and Fairy, I guess, but none of us have Fairy-types – but Ice is more effective and obviously easier to pull off in this weather. That means Froslass is going to be the most important member of your team, and the others should do their best to try to keep them off her back.”

The ghost Pokémon tilted her head curiously, her strange blue-and-yellow eyes flicking towards May. “What about Gastrodon?”

May opened her mouth. “Yes, her too, if she knows Ice moves. Stone Edge too, I guess.” Except she’s slow and can’t dodge worth a damn, so she’s not going to last very long once they see her as a threat, she thought, but didn’t say it – you weren’t supposed to say things like that. And Robin’s Machamp, though she looked almost as excited by the prospect of the battle as her trainer, would have a similarly hard time – she knew Stone Edge too, but the dragons would probably have Flying moves and Machamp were not exactly agile either.

Meanwhile, Robin’s Cacturne was looking sluggishly around, shivering. When May had first seen Robin battle, she’d used him brilliantly on a desert-themed arena, but for the same reasons he’d been excellent there, he was next to useless here. It wasn’t their fault, and definitely not Robin’s fault, but it was dawning on her that this fight wouldn’t be very suited to them. Perhaps she’d spoken too soon to Chaletwo yesterday.

May sighed, squeezing her eyes shut, trying to think of words. What would Stantler say? “Since the dragons fly and are pretty fast, agility and range are going to be key points. Our general strategy so far is to try to isolate them from one another as much as possible by luring them in different directions and keeping them there with paralysis, trapping moves or just keeping them busy, so that each dragon can only attack the Pokémon that are attacking him. This allows us to break the battle into three roughly eight-on-one battles instead of one twenty-something-on-three battle, which is better for us – Waterberg principle and all. Does that make sense?”

Robin nodded; she had obviously paid enough attention in school to know the Waterberg principle, unlike Mark and Alan, which cheered May up somewhat again. “Gastrodon can use Whirlpool,” Robin said. “So she can help with the trapping, and obviously Luxray has Thunder Wave. If we get them paralyzed, that helps Gastrodon and Machamp a lot, too.”

May glanced at Robin’s Luxray, who was lying in the back of the group of Pokémon; he let out a low, rumbling growl, and she averted her eyes again. He hadn’t seemed very sociable during the introductions either. Part of her wanted to ask Robin about it, and part of her really didn’t.

She realized belatedly that she hadn’t answered. “Yeah, that sounds about right,” she said. Paralysis helps Gastrodon and Machamp a lot, too. How discreet. She took a deep breath. “Maybe Cacturne would want to sit this one out, though. I don’t think there’s that much he can do in this kind of environment, and they’re doubly resistant to Grass attacks. But I guess that’s up to him.”

“Of course I’ll take part,” Cacturne said, sounding cross. “Who do you think I am?”

“Right. Obviously.” Judging from Robin’s amused eyeroll, May took it Cacturne wasn’t really as offended as he sounded. “Well, basically in each sub-battle we’re going to want Pokémon that resist that dragon’s favoured type of attack, as far as possible. They can still use Dragon moves, obviously, but that can’t be helped. So Pokémon that resist Water should go for the blue one and those who resist Poison attack the black one. Mark didn’t think the gold one had a special favoured type, but he’s probably going to be using mostly Dragon and Flying-type moves, then.”

“Huh,” said Robin, scratching her chin. “If he doesn’t have a favoured type, does he have something else instead?”

“I don’t know,” May said, sighing. “Mark was going by what he can remember of some book he flipped through once. Chaletwo doesn’t know anything about how they battle because, surprise, legendaries don’t usually spend their free time battling. Dragoreen just said he was strong defensively and that’s it.”

Robin pursed her lips, thoughtful.

“But since Ice is our best shot,” May went on, “we want at least something with an Ice move in each group, if we can. Mark has a Weavile, my Floatzel knows Ice Punch, and Alan’s Vaporeon knows Ice Beam. With your team, we can add Froslass – and Gastrodon – to that. Then we should try to spread the remaining Rock and Dragon moves to even it out once we’ve sorted out which Ice user goes for which dragon – there’s Mark’s Charizard, Dragonite and Sandslash, Alan’s Grovyle and my Flygon, and now Machamp. Like I said earlier, yours and Alan’s Charizard are going to be too busy carrying you, so –”

“What about your Tyranitar?” Robin asked, and May froze, her train of thought coming to a screeching halt.

(Robin didn’t know. Of course she didn’t. What the hell had she expected?)

“He’s gone,” May’s mouth said.

Robin blinked, her eyes widening in dawning concern. “Gone?”

“Not like that. I – I just released him. It’s not important.”

“What? Why?”

For a split second May hated her more than anything in the world for not knowing when to leave it alone. Then, as she was trying to pull together a response, Robin looked down and shook her head. “No, sorry, I won’t pry. Forget it.”

May opened her mouth to say that it was fine, but stopped herself; there was nowhere good the conversation could proceed from there. “Thanks,” she made herself say instead.

Robin smiled awkwardly. May tried to smile back.

“I think it would be a good idea to try to organize things a bit around the trapping moves too,” Robin said after a long pause.

“Yeah, that was the idea,” May said.

Tyranitar didn’t come up again.

-------

Alan didn’t find anything. When they’d finished nailing down which Pokémon would go for which dragon, May and Robin went flying around too, but didn’t find anything either. They returned to where they’d landed to camp, tired and exhausted with nothing to show for a day’s gruelling work.

Robin didn’t seem to have noticed, though. She was chatting enthusiastically practically the moment they were off their Pokémon’s backs, and by the time they’d heated some beans for dinner she was still at it.

“…and then the kid came back again, all sore-loser-like, saying, ‘That didn’t count, I want a rematch.’”

Alan raised his eyebrows, chuckling. “Wow. Yeah, that sounds pretty obnoxious, all right.”

May poked at her beans, hungry but not hungry, trying to work up the willpower to eat another forkful and wishing they could just eat silently.

“And Luxray just gave the guy this stare, and he kind of started to back off, but then he changed his mind and just stood there and folded his arms and told me he wasn’t leaving until I battled him again. And, you know, I have to give him some credit; it’s pretty hard to stare in the face of a Pokémon with Intimidate and not back down, but I just could not believe…”

“What’s wrong with your Luxray?” May said, before she could think better of it.

“Huh?” Robin looked quizzically at her.

“He doesn’t talk.” May forced the words out as quickly as she could, trying to ignore Alan as his gaze flicked sharply towards her in alarm. “He just growls. What’s up with that?”

Robin’s puzzlement turned into understanding, and she laughed. “Oh. Yeah, he comes off pretty cold, doesn’t he? Sorry, I should have thought to explain – he just takes a while to warm up to people. He didn’t really talk first after I caught him, either, so I was pretty concerned too, but after about a week of gentle prodding he started opening up, and now we’re basically best friends. He’s a total sweetheart once you get to know him; he just has some childhood trust issues that he hasn’t quite worked out yet, and it’s something he really needs to get through at his own pace, so I try not to get on his case for being a bit hostile to people at first. Sometimes I forget people might take it the wrong way, though. Sorry about that.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Alan said, smiling. “It sounds like you’re handling it well.”

May nodded numbly, waiting for the knot in her stomach to dissolve, but it didn’t.

“Thanks; I try to.” Robin beamed. “Anyway, so like I was saying, annoying dude came back again, and despite Luxray’s attempt to scare him off, he still refused to go away. Luxray looked up at me like, ‘Say the word and I will make sure this kid never bothers you again’ – it was kind of hilarious, honestly – but I just told him straight out that I wasn’t interested and he doesn’t own me and we’re done here. He still followed me for a few minutes whining about it, but by that point I was just ignoring him completely and eventually he gave up.” She finally stopped to take a breath. “How about you guys?”

Alan scratched his brow. “I don’t know, I think the most obnoxious trainer I ever met was probably this one boy who…” He trailed off. “Well, he was just a kid, so maybe it’s not really fair, but he approached me after he overheard me saying my last name at a Pokémon Center in Hoenn. I thought he just wanted to say hello but he ended up interrogating me about my dad and what would he think of this and that and how he was raising his Pokémon and so on for about an hour. It was awful.”

“Ouch,” Robin said. “Why didn’t you just tell him you had stuff to do?”

Alan winced. “That would have seemed kind of mean, don’t you think?”

“There’s a difference between being nice and being too polite to say no to anything,” Robin said firmly. “A lot of people don’t get that. Like, I heard people complaining May seemed rude because she was always refusing interviews before the League finals, but really it’s perfectly reasonable she wanted to use that time to train and said so. She doesn’t let people just walk all over her, and that’s a good thing. If you let random kids hold you hostage for an hour in a situation that makes you uncomfortable, maybe you could learn something from her.”

“Maybe,” Alan said, sceptical.

Robin looked at May with a grin. May stared at her rapidly cooling beans, squeezing the can, and halfheartedly tried to hold on to the remains of her appetite for a moment before giving up and putting down the can with a sigh.

“So…” Robin’s smile faltered at last. She hesitated before putting up a more awkward version of it. “Do… do you have any obnoxious trainer stories?”

“No,” May said, and she stood up and started to pitch the tents.

-------

Robin broke the silence again once they’d crawled into their sleeping bags inside the girls’ tent. “I’m sure it’ll go better tomorrow,” she said. “I mean, now that I’m all initiated and we can go in three different directions from the beginning.”

May wanted to believe that, but didn’t. She didn’t respond.

“May?” Robin asked again after a few minutes, most of the cheer finally gone from her voice. “Random question, sorry it’s pretty silly and you don’t have to answer, but at the League, what did you really think of me? I mean, I did lose, and almost pretty badly at that, so I get it if you weren’t that impressed.”

May shifted around, still trying to find a way to be comfortable on the hard ground, irritated at that, irritated that Robin was suddenly playing humble at her after everything. “I thought you were a guy,” she muttered.

Bizarrely, Robin broke into a wide grin. “A lot of people do.”

May blinked, incredulous, not sure exactly how she’d expected Robin to react to that, only knowing this definitely wasn’t it. “Doesn’t that… doesn’t it bother you? People thinking you’re something you’re not?”

Robin shrugged, shaking her head. “Actually, I kinda like it.”

May stared at her for a moment, then turned over in her sleeping bag to face away. She should have guessed, she thought grimly. Everything about Robin was bizarre and infuriating.

“So… was that the only thing you thought, or…?”

“You didn’t almost lose pretty badly,” May said, wishing she’d stop hammering on this. “You almost won. Your Charizard beat a Tyranitar.”

She kind of meant to continue, but her mouth was dry and she felt kind of sick, and whatever Robin was fishing for, she didn’t want to give it to her.

“Okay,” Robin said after a moment, and May heard her sleeping bag rustle as she turned around. “Thanks.”

-------

She tried to struggle, but her limbs were limp and numb and she couldn’t breathe. Robin’s Luxray’s eyes bored into hers, his huge jaws clamped tightly around her body. Behind him, his trainer looked at her in a mixture of accusation and disappointment.

“You know,” Robin said, frowning, “I could call him back. I’m just not sure I want to.”

Then he let go, and she plummeted off the cliff, down towards where Taylor’s body lay in a pool of blood, his glassy stare filling her field of vision as an overwhelming voice called out to her –

May’s eyes tore open, and she forcibly blinked a few times. Methodically, her mind unscrambled itself to focus on reality: she was shivering, drenched in sweat, in her sleeping bag, in their tent, in the Acaria mountains. She could hear the wind outside and Robin breathing contentedly on the other side of the tent and feel her own rapid heartbeat as it started to calm.

“Are you all right?” Chaletwo asked, and she started again as she recognized the overwhelming voice, a flash of falling, Taylor’s dead eyes – no

“Get the hell out of my dreams,” she hissed under her breath, her voice shaking with cold, before turning over on her other side and thinking determinedly of Meowth kittens.

By the time she fell back to sleep, the dream had faded into a hazy muddle.

-------

“All right, let’s go,” she said when she climbed onto Skarmory in the morning, grateful to be on his familiar metallic back again. Something had just seemed too organic about Charizard, with all those moving muscles constantly reminding her that she was riding a living creature with wings designed to hold it without a rider, and that if he made a mistake they would come careening down.

“You okay in the cold, Skarmory?” she asked as he took off. She knew the answer, really – his Steel typing would offset the Flying-type weakness much like the Fire-type did for Charizard – but it seemed right to ask. He nodded and took a skilful dive to make the point. (Charizard would probably not have been able to do this gracefully, cold or no cold.)

“You know the drill,” she said to Alan and Robin once they were all airborne. “I say Alan continues west from yesterday, Robin goes east and I go further north.”

The others nodded and diverged, and she took a deep breath as Skarmory flew out over the area she and Robin had been exploring the previous day. It was a frustratingly small portion of the overall landscape, but at least this time she was alone.

She’d memorized the shape of a large crack where they’d left off yesterday, and once they were past it she squinted at the various unexplored shadows and openings beyond. “Start by flying over high,” she said to Skarmory. “Then we can see what’s most promising and prioritize.”

On the first overhead scan, she picked out two or three locations that seemed like fairly large caves; then they did a second pass flying lower past those areas she couldn’t see very well from above. There were a lot of caverns, but most of them were probably too small to house a legendary dragon. She made a mental note of the most plausible candidates, and when they’d covered everything, she told Skarmory to return to the biggest of them.

They landed on a small outcropping by the cave entrance, and she recalled him for now. If they found anything, better if Skarmory wasn’t crawling around inside the cave where he could barely move.

“Charizard, go,” she said, taking his ball out of her pocket and throwing it. “This is the biggest cave I’ve found so far. Could you light the way?”

Charizard nodded and swung his tail out in front of him, proceeding cautiously by her side. The cave appeared to be something of a tunnel, leading into the mountain; it narrowed as they went on, but from a rough estimate she figured it was still just wide enough for something Dragoreen’s size to crawl through. Be here, she thought. Just be here and we can be done.

(Not done with Robin. Or Chaletwo. Or Tyranitar.)

They weren’t there, of course. The tunnel just kept on narrowing. She went on anyway until Charizard pointed out it was getting too narrow even for him; then she sighed and they turned and trudged all the way back out. The next candidate turned out to be very shallow and obviously empty, and the one after that seemed promising at first but turned out to end in a massive Woobat nest.

May didn’t have much hope for the fourth. It looked barely big enough for a dragon to get through. But as Charizard lifted his tail once they’d climbed through the entrance, it turned out to be a considerably bigger cavern, and on the left side, a wide tunnel led into the darkness.

“That looks pretty good,” Charizard said. May nodded wordlessly and entered it, the Fire Pokémon following hastily behind.

The tunnel narrowed a little as they continued inwards, but not by much. Shadows danced on the rough walls on every side, creating a constant illusion of movement; at first, startled Zubat occasionally screeched overhead and made them jump before flying out through the tunnel, but as they went deeper, even they disappeared. The cave became stark and empty, each dimly flickering section of wall the same as another; her feet hurt from the walking, her eyes hurt from squinting into the darkness.

“Do you also hear something?” Charizard asked suddenly.

“What?” She stopped and waited, holding her breath; without the noise of their footsteps, she could hear a deep, barely audible rumbling somewhere ahead – like the breathing of some large creature somewhere in the depths of the tunnel.

Overwhelming relief was the first thing she felt. She let out the breath she’d been holding, reaching up for her Pokéball necklace. “Okay, this could be it. Be ready.”

“Shouldn’t you get the others?” asked Chaletwo, and she jumped.

“Just… when I’ve made sure, okay?”

They walked slow, measured steps along the tunnel, her heart pounding in her ears. She could hear the breathing clearly now, slow, calm breaths, like the creature was asleep. That meant it should be easy to confirm it was there and then get out. The tunnel was wide enough for Charizard to spread his wings, but not the dragon. They could see it, bolt, and then call the others. Easy.

May rounded a corner a second before Charizard. Her breath caught as she made out the indistinct outline of a large shape lying on the cave floor, but it seemed smaller than she’d expected, and a lot rounder in shape. Then the flame swung around the corner, illuminating... thick white fur?

A Beartic. Yet another wasted trip just to find some stupid wild Pokémon. Frustration and disappointment and rage reached a boiling point somewhere in the back of her mouth.

“Charizard, Flamethrower,” she said; he looked at her in puzzlement. The huge polar bear Pokémon was stirring, probably awoken by the sound of her voice. “It’s waking up. Just do it.”

She stepped backwards as the Beartic rose to its hind legs with a deep roar, swiping at Charizard with one of its paws. He shuffled back as well, breathing in deep, and then released a bright cone of flames from his mouth. It hit the polar bear square in the chest, and it roared in pain, dropping back down to all fours. Charizard turned and started to flap his wings.

“No! Another Flamethrower!” May ordered, but Charizard just looked at her and shook his head, taking off as the Beartic charged towards him. She tore Skarmory’s Pokéball off her necklace instead and threw it. “Steel Wing! However many it takes!”

Skarmory came out with his wings glowing and smashed into the Beartic. May watched with clenched fists as he swiped across its body again and again, streaking its stark white fur with dark blood and drawing raw roars of pain from its throat, and then recalled him when she was sure it wasn’t moving anymore. She was left in cold darkness, her breath shaking.

“Wow,” said Chaletwo, and she jumped. “That was brutal.”

“It was a wild Pokémon!” she snapped. “I battled it! That’s what trainers do!”

“May,” Chaletwo said; she took a deep breath. “This is not normal. You’re coming unhinged. Please calm down.”

She wanted to make an icy retort, but couldn’t. No, it wasn’t normal. There was no reason to waste time fighting the Beartic at all.

“Is this because of the reading your mind thing? Because at this point I’d be relieved to switch to Alan’s head instead.”

She shook her head firmly in the darkness and forcibly unclenched her fists. A flickering light appeared in her peripheral vision; she turned to find Charizard carefully making his way back towards her.

“Are you all right?” he asked quietly.

“Yeah,” she said and walked over to him. Wordlessly, he turned around and they headed towards the exit.

“I’m sorry I left you behind,” he said after a moment, without looking at her.

“I’m...” May winced. “Sorry I was trying to make you battle.”

“It scared me,” Charizard muttered. “How angry you were.”

May didn’t say anything.

“How long is it going to take for Mark to heal?” Charizard asked when they finally reached the cave exit.

“Mrs. Riverstone said maybe six weeks.”

Here, on his third day of being with her, he was already thinking of when he could have his real trainer back. She wasn’t even surprised and it still stung.

-------

There was nothing in the other caves either, except a lone Froslass that retreated into the wall when she approached. After another long and fruitless day, they had dinner at their camp site, let their Pokémon mingle and train for a while, and retreated to their tents again.

May couldn’t sleep. She curled up in her sleeping bag trying to keep warm, looking at Robin’s wild hair sticking out of hers, the Beartic’s roars still ringing in her ears. Eventually, she whispered, “Robin?”

“What?” the other girl said sleepily without turning around.

“My Tyranitar,” she began; her mouth was dry. “He... it was him who killed him. Taylor.”

A second passed before Robin turned over in her bag. “What?” she said again, blinking at May. “He...”

“He thought he was doing it for me. I didn’t want that. He just...” May pressed her lips together, wishing she hadn’t started. She barely even knew Robin. How did she know she wouldn’t take it to the police or worse?

“You didn’t tell him to attack him, did you?” Robin’s eyes were wide and alarmed. Maybe that was better than starstruck.

“No, he just... he misunderstood.”

Robin pushed herself upright. “Misunderstood what?”

“I...” May wanted to go away, out of this tent, out somewhere where she could be alone and not hear her voice shaking. “I said he should die, but not... I didn’t mean it. It’s just how people talk.”

“Have you told the police? Aren’t they still investigating it?”

“We’re trying to save the world,” May said. “That… that has to come first. I just… I just thought you should know.”

Robin looked at her for a few seconds before slowly lying down again, facing the other way.

May turned away too, clutching at her sleeping bag.

-------

Over the next couple of weeks, they alternated training sessions and searching for the dragons. The former progressed quickly, Robin’s team being quick learners who were obviously used to trying on different strategies; the latter was nothing but disappointment after disappointment. Caves upon caves turned out empty, and the mountains started to seem familiar, mundane and limited.

Robin didn’t mention Tyranitar again. May didn’t attack any more wild Pokémon.

“We’ve been over the entire mountain range by now,” Alan told Dragoreen after two more excruciating weeks. “They could still be lying low somewhere, but at this point we think they’re probably not here anymore. Do you have any idea where they might have gone? If not we’re going to have to exhaustively search every mountainous area in Ouen. It could take some time.”

The dragon considered it. “How long have you been looking?” she asked at last.

“A month,” May said. “We’ve covered everything that looks big enough.”

Dragoreen closed her eyes, thinking, her mouth curling into a frown. Stray snowflakes settled on her body and she irritably shook them away.

“They’re here,” she said, finally. “Keep looking.”

“Really?” Chaletwo asked, sceptical. “How sure are you? We can’t afford to waste more time here if we’re going to have to look blindly around the entire region.”

“I know,” said Dragoreen firmly. “I can feel it. They’re here. You must have overlooked something.”

May pressed her lips together, nodding curtly before she recalled the legendary. Robin and Alan glanced at her and then each other in silence.

“Well,” she said. “Let’s get back to work.”

-------

They spent another week going over some areas again with a fine-toothed comb, checking caves that weren’t easily visible from above and ones that were probably too small. It felt futile, pointless. May felt she knew the mountains like the back of her hand now; every day was the same trudge through the same caves leading to the same nothing. At least she’d stopped being disappointed and angry: by now all she felt was dull apathy.

“Dragoreen,” she asked the evening of the twentieth of January, her teeth chattering in the cold, “are you absolutely certain they’re still here? Could they have moved somewhere or seen us coming? Are they evading us somehow? We’ve looked in every cave and there’s nothing.”

Dragoreen shook her scaled body, crouched low to conserve heat. “How long has it been?” she asked.

“More than five weeks. Mark’s almost recovered. If they’re not here, we need to move on soon.”

The dragon surveyed her for a few seconds, tilting her head. “Perhaps I was mistaken,” she said eventually.

“Mistaken?” May stared at her. “What do you mean, mistaken?”

“Perhaps they weren’t here. It may have been the mountains of Scorpion Valley that they were in.”

“What?” Chaletwo said, not even trying to hide his frustration anymore. “You told us several times that you were absolutely sure. You said they were here. What changed?”

“Maybe they weren’t,” Dragoreen said, looking down thoughtfully. “No, I think it was the Scorpion mountains.”

“This is ridiculous,” Chaletwo said. “You were very insistent that we keep looking here a week ago.”

“Apparently not.” Dragoreen shivered. “Now get me out of this cold.”

May pointed the Master Ball at her and pressed the button, wordlessly, before turning around. What words could there be? The dragons weren’t here. They’d never been here. It was all for nothing. Of course it was. Why would a bunch of dragons, doubly weak to Ice, choose to live in such a cold place anyway?

That last thought gave her pause, a niggling sense of dread creeping up on her. Something was wrong. Something was very wrong. This hadn’t made any sense from the beginning. Dragoreen had been knowingly lying to them. Why would she lie?

As heat rushed to her face, May hurled the Master Ball at the nearest rock, as hard as she could throw it; it popped open and the dragon reemerged in a burst of white light, pressing her wings against her sides.

“You knew,” May said; she wanted to scream and kick and punch, but she didn’t even have the energy, only helpless anger that trembled too audibly in her voice. “You were trying to waste our time so they’d be weaker by the time we get there and capture them. You deliberately sent us here so that we’d...”

Dragoreen looked coolly at her, a wisp of a smug grin playing around the edges of her mouth.

“Ice Punch!” May said, throwing another ball; Floatzel came out hissing, her paw already on her Never-Melt Ice. Dragoreen didn’t even try to dodge or counterattack as Floatzel smashed her fist into her jaw.

“Where are they?” May clenched her fists tighter than she thought she’d ever clenched them. “Where are your brothers really?”

“I told you the truth earlier,” Dragoreen said calmly. “I have no interest in delaying you so long you won’t get them at all.”

May stared at her; her lack of remorse or defense was the most frustrating part of all, like a wall of calculated indifference that made it impossible to even hurt her back. “Ice Punch her again,” she said coldly, and Floatzel obediently socked Dragoreen in the jaw again. The legendary only shook her head.

“I would be angry, too,” she said. “But you gain nothing by punishing me. My goals were not the same as yours before; now they are. Go and capture them.”

May felt tears in her eyes, bitter, hateful tears, made worse because Dragoreen was right. There was nothing to do but to continue on their way.

She recalled Dragoreen again and Floatzel with her, sending out Skarmory instead. “Come on,” she said. “Let’s get the others.”

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
All right! I've got to admit that I haven't a clue which sentence it was that gave you so much trouble, but I hope it ended up coming out to your satisfaction.

“What’s wrong with your Luxray?” May said, before she could think better of it.
Aww, someone's worried that Luxray has Tyranitar-problems.

Mark was going by what he can remember of some book he flipped through once.
Err, why don't they just go to the library, then, and look up some more concrete information themselves? Seems like it would be better than relying on his memory, and they might find some other useful things by doing a bit of research.

If they found anything, better if Skarmory wasn’t crawling around inside the cave where he could barely move.
If it's too small for Skarmory, how does it make sense to bring Charizard in instead? I'd expect them to be about the same size.

I enjoyed Chaletwo and May's interactions in the beginning of the chapter and was a bit disappointed to see them pretty much disappear for most of it, although it makes sense that Chaletwo would more or less shut up. (I'm kind of surprised he didn't have any commentary on what Dragoreen was saying at the very end there, or how May was treating her at the time, though.) Hoping to see a little more interaction between the two of them before Chaletwo gets stuck back in Mark's head.

I had to read the conversation between May and Dragoreen like four times to figure out what was going on; apparently I'd just managed to scan Dragoreen's dialogue as “I have no interest in delaying you so long as you won’t get them at all,” multiple times, which made the whole rest of the conversation really wonky, but while I would probably word the sentence a little differently, I'm probably the only person who managed to have that problem.

Anyway, this is pretty much a May Feels Bad chapter; kind of quiet, but it's nice to see some signs of her trying to be more empathetic and kind of failing at it most of the time. It'll be interesting to see what snaps her out of her funk in the end. The fact that this was ultimately a pointless, disappointing detour for the characters does make for a bit of a depressing read, but it's nice to see things moving again.

Finally, completely unrelated to the chapter itself, it seems crazy to think that this story is going to be over in just twelve chapters. I mean, during that span, I'm thinking you have to accomplish at least (not in any particular order):

1) at least an attempt to catch the rest of the dragons
2) resolve outstanding character arcs
3) reveal who the Destroyer is
4) **** goes down
5) denouement

That's going to be pretty jam-packed! Should be fun, anyway. Funny to think that the 'fic is actually finished and we're closing in on the end, assuming it doesn't take a year for each of those remaining chapters.

Dragonfree

Just me
Negrek said:
Err, why don't they just go to the library, then, and look up some more concrete information themselves? Seems like it would be better than relying on his memory, and they might find some other useful things by doing a bit of research.
The Sailance library appears to be the only one in Ouen, for some reason you'd have to ask younger-me about (...actually I could have changed that with minimal figuring, but it didn't really occur to me to step back and ask myself if the lack of other libraries makes any sense until you brought it up), and that's far enough away that it didn't seem worth the bother given Mark did remember the book was very vague about the dragons' abilities anyway. But funnily enough they do in fact go to the library a few chapters from now.

Negrek said:
If it's too small for Skarmory, how does it make sense to bring Charizard in instead? I'd expect them to be about the same size.
Well, Charizard is being brought out to light the way. It's not that it's too small for Skarmory to be there at all so much as that it's too small for him to fly in and thus small enough he'd just get in the way. (Even if Charizard will have to fight, he's still better able to do it in cramped spaces than Skarmory, since he has long-range attacks like Flamethrower that he can use from a standing position, while almost all of Skarmory's moves are either physical and require some momentum to work very well or explicitly require him to be flying.)

Negrek said:
(I'm kind of surprised he didn't have any commentary on what Dragoreen was saying at the very end there, or how May was treating her at the time, though.)
His silence was meant to imply he's part speechless at her audacity and part basically with May on this. He doesn't generally approve of May turning to violence, but Dragoreen really needed that punch in the face, damn it. (He'd probably have spoken shortly after the end of the chapter, but of course we didn't see that.)

Negrek said:
Hoping to see a little more interaction between the two of them before Chaletwo gets stuck back in Mark's head.
Sadly, he's back with Mark by the time chapter 65 starts. I do agree that they're a lot of fun, though; one of the first questions I asked my betas was actually if they thought getting only one chapter of Chaletwo in May's head would be disappointing. Maybe I'll write some May and Chaletwo Discuss extras. I mean, there's six weeks of material there that didn't make it into the chapter.

Twelve chapters is more than you'd think. I expected the fic to be well over eighty chapters before I sat down and wrote the chapter plan. Granted, as it stands the final version of chapter 75 will probably be pretty monstrously long. I've just recently been considering moving some bits of it over to chapter 76.

Thanks for reviewing! Hope you enjoy the rest of the ride.

Last edited:

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
The Sailance library appears to be the only one in Ouen, for some reason you'd have to ask younger-me about...
Oh man, I would completely shrivel up and die if I had to visit Ouen, then. Library deprivation. (I was thinking research on the internet as well, although I don't know if there's internet in Ouen as of this story.)

Sadly, he's back with Mark by the time chapter 65 starts. I do agree that they're a lot of fun, though; one of the first questions I asked my betas was actually if they thought getting only one chapter of Chaletwo in May's head would be disappointing. Maybe I'll write some May and Chaletwo Discuss extras.
Ah, that's too bad. Some extras sound like they'd be fun, though, if you felt like you wanted to write them. From the way the two of them get along it seems like they'd usually be more like "May and Chaletwo Don't Discuss" extras, though. :p

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Oh god why did I take so long to catch up with this.

Anyway. Don't get me wrong: I pitied Raudra and Puragon. I really did. I understood where they were coming from. Understood why they were being, well, how they were being. But I still had to facepalm at them. Repeatedly. As much as I sympathized with them, I'll admit I sympathized all the more with Chaletwo there. X3

I'm kind of amazed I didn't see Dragoreen's double-cross (if it can really be called that; my vote's kind of on "no it can't" since, well, maybe she was on to something with the whole "waiting til they're weaker" thing, but on the other hand, tick tock) coming--why the **** WOULD a bunch of dragon/flying-types want to live in the frosty asscrack of nowhere?

Congrats on getting the rest of this fic all wrote up! :D Hopefully next time I'll be a bit more punctual in popping in to read it, heh. XD;

Dragonfree

Just me
Sike Saner: Glad you're still reading! Don't worry about being late; I don't think I could possibly call anyone late with anything at this point.

Anyway! Still a few hours from being a year after chapter 64, I bring you chapter 65. This was an incredibly problematic chapter to revise (I had to more or less rewrite the legendary battle from scratch), but hopefully it really should be fairly clear sailing for the next several chapters. I am planning to try to finish all of chapters 66-69 before I post them, though, since there are going to be some pretty heavy changes to them and I may move stuff from one chapter to another in the process or change my mind on exactly where to insert stuff. So, don't expect chapter 66 too soon (I am not going to take a year on this, though, damn it), but once that's posted I'll probably be posting 67, 68 and 69 on some sort of schedule, with maybe a week in between or so.

Chapter 65: Three Dragons

“Just try to treat your arm like normal. Don’t avoid using it and putting weight on it. Don’t break it again either, but I trust you’ll be more careful from now on.”

Mark nodded from atop Charizard’s back. “Thanks for all your help, Mrs. Riverstone,” he said. “And thanks again for letting us borrow your daughter.”

She grimaced. “I’d be coming with you myself if I had battling Pokémon, not sending my eleven-year-old. Frankly, after this whole setback I don’t know how I can possibly believe you’ll make it.”

May had filled them in on Dragoreen’s deception in a curt phone call the previous night. Mrs. Riverstone had been livid, but somehow Mark had felt mainly disappointment: as terrifying and ruthless as she could be, Dragoreen had ultimately seemed like the reasonable one of her sisters, and during his recovery he’d permitted himself to hope she was truly on their side.

“Don’t worry, Mom,” Robin said after a few seconds of dull silence, but even she didn’t sound half as cheerful as she’d been before they’d left. “We know where we’re headed now, and after that we just have to find two more. We’ll be fine.”

“Well, if not,” her mother said, “there’s always the bunker.” She pointed a thumb behind her, at the entrance to the unfinished underground shelter she’d been building over the past weeks with the help of a band of Ground Pokémon she’d recruited from the Safari. Mark shuddered at the thought they might have to use it.

“Well, we’d better go,” Alan said with a sigh. “Thanks for everything and goodbye, Mrs. Riverstone.”

“Bye, Mom!” Robin called, flashing a grin as her Charizard took off the ground. “See you when we’re heroes!”

Mrs. Riverstone grinned back and waved for a second before turning around back to her house, shaking her head. Robin’s smile faded into a wince as their Pokémon ascended and headed west.

-------

They flew to Acaria City first, stayed there overnight, and then headed for Scorpio City the next morning. Mark briefly considered whether they should visit Mitch since they were there – the last time they’d met was still nagging uncomfortably at Mark’s mind – but eventually decided against it for now, figuring that since they’d lost so much time, they should use it looking for the dragons as far as they possibly could.

“These mountains are a lot smaller than around Acaria,” Alan commented when they had landed on the edge of the town. “Hopefully they won’t take as long to go through.”

“And warmer,” Robin added.

“Yeah,” May said, grimacing. “A lot more of a natural hiding place for a bunch of Dragon/Flying-types. God, we were so stupid.”

Mark sighed inwardly. In retrospect he supposed it would have been kind of odd for the dragons to live somewhere very cold, but given Dragoreen had explicitly said they were there, he couldn’t exactly blame anyone for not questioning it. He knew better than to try to convince May of that, though.

“It was exhausting being in her head,” Chaletwo said. “I had started to take you for granted, but she was just… constantly angry. She never let me get a very good grasp on what she was thinking, but what I caught wasn’t encouraging.”

Mark tried to imagine being inside May’s head; his first thought was that it was probably terrifying. Is she okay?

“Mostly. She was pretty stressed. Got vicious when things didn’t go right. Robin brought up Tyranitar, which didn’t exactly help.”

Mark winced. She doesn’t know?

“May told her eventually,” Chaletwo said. “I’m concerned about that too. Robin seemed pretty alarmed but then just… stopped talking about it. It doesn’t feel like a good sign.”

Mark nodded, furrowing his brow. It looked like their time in the Acaria mountains hadn’t been good for anyone involved; even Alan was kind of moody and quiet. Maybe it was a good thing he hadn’t been there.

“So, do we head for the mountains now or tomorrow?” Robin asked, snapping him abruptly out of his thoughts.

“I’m kind of hungry,” he said. “How about you?”

“Let’s have a quick dinner and then go,” May said, already turning down the main street. “Dragoreen lost us enough time already.”

-------

They didn’t find anything that evening, not that he’d really expected them to, but they did gain some valuable oversight over the mountains surrounding the valley and managed to pin down some of the most promising caves they hadn’t explored.

At Robin’s suggestion, as the dark of night set in, before returning to the Pokémon Center, they stood silently a safe distance up the mountainside and watched the eerily beautiful flood of black scorpions near-simultaneously emerging out of the sand to hunt. Mark thought back to that night they’d stupidly camped there and May had almost died, wondering if she was thinking about the same thing or if she tried not to.

In the morning they headed out again, split the valley into four parts, and each went to cover the mountains in one of them. Charizard flew over Mark’s area for a more detailed overview, and then they headed for the largest cave they’d found.

“Do you think May’s okay?” Charizard murmured as they entered the cavern.

A pang of dread hit him; if Charizard had noticed too without reading her mind, it was probably bad. “Chaletwo was saying she was pretty stressed.”

“Yeah.” Charizard took a deep breath, hesitating. “I don’t think I helped,” he said at last. “The starter Pokémon preparation taught us to be supportive of our trainers when they’re going through a tough time. But while I was there I was too caught up in comparing her to you to remember that. I probably could have talked to her.”

“I don’t think May wants to be talked to when she’s upset,” Mark said. “Don’t blame yourself.”

Charizard sighed and might have been about to say something more when there was a roar from outside, faint with distance but unmistakably furious.

Wide-eyed, Mark scrambled onto Charizard’s back, and Charizard took off to clumsily navigate back out through the tunnel they were in. The sunlight outside momentarily blinded Mark; he shielded his eyes as he got used to it, blinking rapidly, and then saw on the other side of the valley – Robin’s area – where a large shape was hovering in the air, roaring and spewing jets of water towards a smaller shape that had to be Robin’s Charizard.

“Quick!” Mark said, needlessly; Charizard was already speeding towards the battle. Looking around, he saw Skarmory and Charlie making their way over there as well with their trainers. Robin’s Charizard was dodging nimbly, but she hadn’t sent out any other Pokémon, even as Mark indistinctly heard her shouting: she was trying for diplomacy. Mark grinned at the realization.

“...look, he’s over there, Chaletwo, tell him!” As Robin frantically waved her hand in Mark’s direction, the blue dragon looked suspiciously his way but didn’t attack.

“Hello, Dracobalt,” Chaletwo said. “Long time, no see. I assume she was telling you about the War of the Legends.”

Dracobalt stared at Mark for a moment more before he lowered his head, pent-up tension fading from his body. “Chaletwo,” he said with a sigh as he looked up again. “So it is you. I thought my sisters were behind this.”

He turned and landed on the mountainside, gesturing for them to join him. Mark and Robin did immediately; Alan hesitated, but Charlie landed anyway, and May lingered for a long second before giving Skarmory the go-ahead to do the same.

“So, then,” the dragon said. “If I understood correctly, you’re out capturing legendaries in the hope that it will prevent this... ‘war’ from happening. What is that ‘war’ about, and why have I not heard of it?”

“Are your brothers here?” Chaletwo asked. “You should all hear this.”

Dracobalt’s eyes narrowed slightly. “I suppose.”

He shook himself, the large, fishlike fin that grew out of his spine swaying. Craning his neck back, he let out a deep roar that shook the mountains around them. Seconds later, two more shapes emerged from the mountainsides around the valley: a golden dragon down the ridge they were on in the city’s direction, and a black one from the other side of the valley (Mark realized with a flutter in his stomach that it came out from the next cave he’d planned to explore).

“What is going on?” growled the black dragon, presumably Venoir, as he landed nearby. “Who are these humans?”

“Apparently Chaletwo thinks the world will end unless we agree to be caught,” Dracobalt said, his eyes still on Mark. “I thought we should at least let him speak.”

“Chaletwo?” said Preciure as he folded his wings, having taken his place on Dracobalt’s right. “Working with humans? Really? Well, I suppose I always knew he was a bit nuts.”

“What?” said Chaletwo indignantly. Sensing an argument in the making, Mark quickly spoke to get to the point.

“Look,” he said. “There is a phenomenon known as the War of the Legends. It happens every thousand years and is the reason you’ve probably felt your powers diminishing lately. It involves all the legendaries going mad and super-powerful at once and killing each other until there’s only one left. If they’re all inside Pokéballs when the War should start, they’ll be cut off from the power surge, so then hopefully it won’t happen and you’ll all be unharmed.”

The dragons looked at one another.

“Hopefully?” Preciure asked, sceptical.

“Do you have a better idea?”

“I suppose not, but that’s because this is the first I’ve heard about it. How do you know of this?”

Chaletwo sighed. “Remember being told about the disaster a thousand years ago?”

Preciure peered at Mark. “Vaguely; it was before our time. That was this? Have you always known?”

“Well, no,” Chaletwo said irritably, “Mew neglected to mention it was a regularly recurring event until some twenty years ago, when Molzapart and I started probing him about our power loss. But it was the same thing.”

“I presume this is why you made that ridiculous proposal back then?”

“I’m sorry we were vague, but Mew had absolutely forbidden us to inform any of you that the War would happen again. It was all we could do.”

“All you could do, aside from just telling us. Who cares what Mew thinks? Isn’t the end of the world a little more important than Mew’s approval? Well, not to you, I suppose, but I didn’t take Molzapart for…”

“Can we not do this?” Mark said, exasperated. “Isn’t the end of the world also a little more important than airing out your issues with each other?”

Venoir gave him a poisonous glare that made him flinch. “You should keep a tighter leash on your humans, Chaletwo.”

Preciure shook himself, waving a wing dismissively at Venoir. “Now, now, it may have a point. Let’s put aside our petty differences and talk solutions. You think capturing all of us will stop the War, correct?”

“Yes, that’s the idea.”

“But say we’d like a better deal out of that, since your terms seem rather inconvenient for us. What could you offer in return for our cooperation?”

“What on earth are you talking about? It’s stop the end of the world or –”

“For instance,” Preciure went on, “I think my brothers would agree that if you were to… forget to save our sisters in time, we’d be considerably more enthusiastic. Is that a possibility?”

Mark tried his best to keep the shudder off his face.

“We can’t ‘forget’ to save someone. That’s not how it works. It has to be all of them, or the remaining ones destroy everything anyway.”

Preciure chuckled, a disturbingly metallic sound. “Well, ultimately you have to get them all out of the way, to be sure. But you say this is why we’ve been losing power and that Pokéballs cut off the power surge – is it safe to assume that the power loss also stops when we’re inside a Pokéball?”

“It does, but…”

“Then surely if you were to wait to get them until the War is very close, they’ll be quite weak once you do. Wouldn’t that only make things more convenient for you? I could even tell you where they’ve been hiding – but not until later, of course, to ensure you keep your end of the deal.”

“Ah… er, we…”

“Yes,” May interrupted firmly, giving Mark a sideward shut-up glare. “That sounds great. Thanks. Let’s get you in our balls now and we’ll get back to you near the end.”

Dracobalt looked warily at Preciure. Preciure’s eyes narrowed. Venoir stared at May, then Mark. Some instinct made Mark start to back away without thinking; he reached for Charizard beside him, feeling the tension in the Pokémon’s neck, muscles preparing for liftoff.

“You went to them first,” Preciure hissed, an all-too-familiar mad fury rising in his voice, and suddenly Venoir was lashing out with his engorged fangs at the ready. Charizard stumbled back out of his way and began to frantically flap his wings as Mark managed to crawl onto his back, heart hammering. The other fliers were scattering, and May was already throwing her Pokéballs.

“Everyone, according to plan!” she shouted.

Like before they’d fought Raudra and Puragon, they had worked out in advance where each Pokémon’s abilities would be best used, and May’s Pokémon wasted no time. Floatzel and Raichu went after the ascending Dracobalt as they emerged, Raichu’s Thunder Wave seeping into his muscles only a fraction of a second before Floatzel hit him with a powerful Ice Punch that knocked him in the direction of the mountainside. Preciure hit an invisible wall in the air, created by Spirit’s Mean Look, as he tried to come to Dracobalt’s aid. Flygon raked his claws across Venoir’s wing and then shot forward, drawing the roaring black dragon to follow him away from the trainers, and then started to spin a Sand Tomb around them, trapping Venoir there.

“Traitorous worms,” snarled Preciure as Mark threw his Pokéballs. Robin and Alan’s Pokémon were already materializing all around. “What negotiation! Lie through your teeth about your pact with the enemy, all the while planning an assault if we should see through it. Congratulations on finally growing a spine, but this is low even for you, Chaletwo.”

“What choice did we have?” Chaletwo shouted back, fiercely. “You petty imbeciles would let the world burn to inconvenience your sisters! Short-sighted idiots – we should’ve just snuck up on you in your sleep!”

Preciure started to make a retort, but was cut off as Weavile smashed an Ice Punch into the side of his head. He roared as he attempted to swipe at her with his claws but missed, only to be struck with a Thunder Wave from Robin’s Luxray. With another contemptuous snarl, he flared up in blue flames and charged towards Dragonite, who was coming at him with a Dragon Rush. The two dragons collided in a ball of dragon flames and then rebounded, Dragonite struggling to flap his wings while Preciure rushed right back at him, and this time Dragonite went limp in the air. Mark recalled him as pointed stones called by Robin’s Machamp shot straight up into Preciure’s body from below and the dragon turned his attention towards her.

Mark looked quickly to where Dracobalt was – yes, Vicky had managed to trap him with a Mean Look, too, higher up the mountainside, and Floatzel and Mist were alternating Ice attacks – before giving Charizard the go-ahead to fly closer to Venoir, where most of his remaining Pokémon were. The black dragon was still trapped in a vortex of sand, and judging from his erratic movements, Jolteon had successfully paralyzed him. May’s Flygon was gone – he noticed her sending out Butterfree to replace him and ordering a Tailwind – but Robin’s Froslass and Gastrodon were inside the vortex firing Ice Beams from two different directions, and Sandslash, from where he was standing in the desert sand below, shot sharp rocks into the Sand Tomb. Scyther was Swords Dancing nearby as he waited for an opportunity to strike.

Robin, too, was turning her attention towards Venoir. “Froslass, Confuse Ray!” she shouted as the black dragon smashed his tail into Gastrodon’s body. The sea slug squealed helplessly as she hurtled through the air towards the mountainside. Robin quickly recalled her in mid-air and then sent her back out in the sand nearby. In the meantime, Froslass produced an orb of light that flickered within the Sand Tomb, drawing Venoir’s eyes towards it.

“Okay, Froslass, get out of there,” Robin said, and the little ghost Pokémon vanished and reappeared outside the whirl of sand. “Mark, can you recall Sandslash and send him out up on the rocks instead for a moment? I have an idea.”

Mark warily did so, and Robin called, “Gastrodon, Whirlpool!”

Gastrodon nodded quickly and closed her eyes. Slowly, water vapour began to condense around the Sand Tomb, gluing the dusty particles together into globs of mud. Inside the vortex, the confused Venoir was shaking his head, too distracted to notice his limbs sinking into the sand as it became saturated with water. The whirl of water and sand around him slowed as its mass built up, then collapsed under its own weight on top of him, burying him. He screeched in surprise, flailing under the mud.

“Everyone, attack, now!” Robin shouted, and immediately Froslass and Gastrodon began to fire more Ice Beams and Jolteon Thunderbolts. Sandslash shot another Stone Edge, and Scyther nimbly dodged past the stones to strike at Venoir’s wings with his scythes. The dragon roared in the middle of the onslaught, struggling to move; he spewed out a bright teal Dragonbreath, but Scyther managed to dart out of the way.

“Nice work, Robin,” Mark called, and she grinned widely. Venoir was still struggling to rise, weakening rapidly as attacks continued to bombard him. Once they brought him down, all of these Pokémon could then move on to –

“Robin, look out!” Alan shouted from somewhere behind Mark, and Mark looked quickly back in her direction to see Preciure darting towards her, wreathed in blue fire. Her Charizard whipped his head around and shot up out of the way, and Robin yelped in surprise as she lost her grip on his neck and narrowly managed to grab onto the base of his wings instead. The Charizard slowed down in concern, looking over his shoulder, while Preciure rocketed upwards and –

“No!” Alan yelled, and Charlie rammed his body into Preciure at full speed. Charlie roared in pain as he came into contact with the dragon flames surrounding the legendary, and Preciure was quick to take advantage of the sudden contact by digging his claws into the Charizard’s flesh and driving both of them towards the ground with a triumphant screech. Charlie’s wings were no match for the much larger dragon’s weight; by now he was upside-down, and Alan only managed to dangle off his neck for a second before he lost his grip entirely. He screamed as he fell; time seemed to slow as Mark watched in shock and couldn’t get his brain to think of what to do – but he didn’t need to, because May’s Skarmory dived, and she clung to his neck with one arm and reached out for Alan with the other.

She grabbed his hand, and time sped up again. There was no way May could have pulled him up; instead, Skarmory just managed to slow down their fall enough so that when they all crashed into the sand, they could fall into a roll and appeared mostly unharmed.

And as Mark and Charizard were staring at that, a sudden, cold blast of water hit them in the face.

Charizard was thrust helplessly back by the Hydro Pump, coughing and spluttering; Mark managed to cling onto his neck only by virtue of having wrapped his arms tighter around him while watching Alan fall. He squeezed his eyes shut as they careened through the air, his stomach twisting and lurching, until abruptly the water pressure was gone. He felt his Pokémon struggling to gain control of his flight again while they lost their borrowed momentum, and for a few more terrifying seconds they tumbled over each other in the air, falling, falling – and then, with a sharp, twisting flap of his wings, Charizard managed to reorient himself. A flurry of frantic wingbeats slowed their descent, and finally, they were pulling upwards again.

Mark released the breath he’d been holding with a choked gasp and opened his eyes again, blinking rapidly. They’d been thrown some distance from the battle; at least that meant there was no danger for now. Every muscle in his body was still tense and aching. He took a deep breath and gently released his hold on Charizard’s neck, willing his body to relax. “You okay?” he mumbled, his voice trembling a little.

Charizard was panting, but he nodded. “Let’s get back in there,” he said, groaning with a heave of effort as he started to head back towards the battle.

“Are you sure?” Mark asked. “We could rest for a bit if you like.”

The Pokémon shook his head. “Those dragons aren’t resting.”

Mark squinted as they approached the fight, trying to regain a sense of what was going on. May was back in the air on Skarmory, but Alan had gotten onto Diamond’s back, and she was leaping to evade another Hydro Pump from Dracobalt. Charlie was nowhere to be seen; presumably Preciure had knocked him out. Dracobalt and Preciure were staying close together in the air now: clearly they’d figured out their ploy about keeping them apart to split up the battle. Venoir…

…wasn’t there. The place where they’d trapped him earlier was an empty, wet mound of mud. Mark looked wildly around, half-expecting to find the black dragon sneaking up behind them, but he was nowhere in sight.

“One down, two to go,” Robin shouted towards him, and he blinked. He’d missed a capture? It seemed bizarrely anticlimactic, but it made sense – Venoir had been weakening rapidly earlier, after all. Robin must have thrown the ball, then. He gave her an encouraging thumbs-up and started trying to locate his Pokémon. Weavile was lying fainted on the ground near where Preciure had been earlier; he quickly recalled her back into her ball. Scyther was attacking Dracobalt, striking with repeated quick Fury Cutters in between darting out of reach. Jolteon stood some distance from the dragons, shooting Thunderbolts. Sandslash was down in the sand below them, shooting Stone Edges upwards.

He’d no sooner noticed Sandslash than Dracobalt spewed a jet of water straight down at him. Sandslash let out a surprised screech as Scyther zoomed in to try to distract Dracobalt again, but just then Preciure flared up in an Outrage and barrelled into Scyther, keeping him away. Sandslash collapsed under the Hydro Pump with a quiet whine, and Mark returned him to the safety of his Pokéball.

As Scyther fell towards the ground, Racko and Pamela leapt onto Dracobalt’s back, slicing their claws into him. He roared in pain, twisting in the air as the Hydro Pump dissipated, but even before Dracobalt could counterattack, Preciure had torn them off him and dived with a vengeful hiss, dragging them with him towards the ground. Racko slashed madly at him on the way down and Pamela locked her jaws around his forelimb, but Preciure hardly even reacted before he thrust both of them into the desert rocks. Alan recalled them both, wincing.

May’s Mutark had managed to take their place on Dracobalt’s back, however, and the blue dragon was now wreathed in cyan-colored fire of his own as he tried to shake her off. He looked a lot worse for wear than Preciure: his breath came in gasps as he shot yet another Hydro Pump towards Raichu, knocking him into the cliff wall behind him, and his flight was faltering. He landed on an outcropping of rock, where Preciure returned to grab Mutark and throw her harshly into the mountainside. She collapsed with a faint whine while Preciure hovered, shaking his head, and May recalled her as she came swooping in on Skarmory.

“Everyone attack the blue one!” she yelled, and a Thunderbolt from Jolteon struck Dracobalt before Stantler leapt to Stomp him, Robin’s Cacturne hit him with a Feint Attack and Butterfree sent a purple pulse of psychic power at his head – and that was it, Mark realized with dread; they were the only Pokémon left. Dracobalt roared, his voice panicked and desperate, shooting a weak, futile Dragonbreath that failed to hit Stantler as she darted away, and May hurled an Ultra Ball that sucked him in and began to shake on the ground.

Preciure had apparently managed to shake off the disorientation of all those Outrages, and now, flaring anew with bluish flames and snarling hatefully, he darted towards the remaining Pokémon. He tore madly at Butterfree’s wings before throwing her tattered form aside; he knocked Stantler away from the mountainside with his tail and she tumbled helplessly down the mountain until May recalled her, knuckles white; he picked Jolteon up in his jaws and shook him violently before throwing him aside; and…

“Destiny Bond!” Robin called.

The cactus Pokémon grinned, purple flames rising from his body. Mark could see Preciure’s pupils contracting to slits, a twitch of hesitation in his flight, a glimmer of horrified realization somewhere behind the blind fury of the Outrage.

But he dived nonetheless, screeching with rage, and tore into Cacturne with his claws. And as he did, the dragon flames coating his body turned a ghostly purple, and his screech became a shrieking howl of agony.

“Cheating scum,” he hissed with his last breath before his eyes rolled back in his head and he collapsed into the sand, stirring up clouds of dust in the deafening silence that followed.

Robin tossed yet another Ultra Ball, and after absorbing Preciure’s form, it stilled without shaking.

“Yes! Take that, idiots!” Chaletwo shouted triumphantly as their Pokémon landed in the desert sand to catch their breaths. “Good thinking, Robin. You’re living up to everything May said about you. Great job, all.”

Robin gave May a strange, puzzled glance before turning to Mark and grinning. “I’m just glad it worked out. I was about to suggest we just throw a ball to delay him and then run for it, but then I realized he kept using Outrage, so…”

“Yeah,” May said quickly. “Good work.”

Robin looked at her, smiling cautiously; May looked away, and Robin looked back at Mark in defeat.

“Well,” Mark said after a moment, “now it’s just the Waraider herd and Mew.”

Alan gave a tight smile, petting Diamond’s neck absent-mindedly; May just nodded. A few more seconds passed in silence.

“We can talk about them over lunch,” Robin finally said, her voice firm. “Come on.”

And they recalled their Pokémon and trudged back towards the city.

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
“For instance,” Preciure went on, “I think my brothers would agree that if you were to… forget to save our sisters in time, we’d be considerably more enthusiastic. Is that a possibility?”

You know, it's probably a terrible idea to chuck a boot at a legendary dragon, but

chucks a boot at the legendary dragon

“What choice did we have?” Chaletwo shouted back, fiercely. “You petty imbeciles would let the world burn to inconvenience your sisters! Short-sighted idiots – we should’ve just snuck up on you in your sleep!”

Somewhat inclined to agree, heh.

Robin gave May a strange, puzzled glance before turning to Mark and grinning. “I’m just glad it worked out. I was about to suggest we just throw a ball to delay him and then run for it, but then I realized he kept using Outrage, so…”

I'd wondered if/hoped that all that outrage would come back to bite him in the butt.

I can see where a battle like that would be a stubborn a-hole to write, yeah. Turned out pretty decent, though; I didn't have any trouble following it. And now all those squabbling siblings can just sit in those balls and think about their life choices. Mission mfing accomplished.

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
tqftl_3000_years.png

I kid, I kid. :p

I will admit that this is kind of an anticlimactic chapter to have coming straight off a year's hiatus--with all the effort that's gone into finding the male color dragons, having them show up pretty early on in the search and then all get captured in one shot feels a little , Not that I think it would have been better for you to have drawn the find-the-dragons subplot out longer; the end of the arc just didn't quite fulfill the buildup for me. All in all the chapter's kind of short, and there's really nothing here but the battle.

picky picky picky:

“Bye, Mom!” Robin called, flashing a grin as her Charizard took off the ground.
Took the ground off what? (You could just leave it at "took off" and it would be fine.)

valuable oversight over the mountains
An oversight's something you miss; I think you mean "overview." It's also awkward to follow on with "over" right there, too. Overview of the mountains would work fine.

At Robin’s suggestion, as the dark of night set in, before returning to the Pokémon Center, they stood silently a safe distance up the mountainside and watched the eerily beautiful flood of black scorpions near-simultaneously emerging out of the sand to hunt.
There's a lot going on in this sentence--lots of adverbs and subordinate clauses. In particular "as the dark of night set in, before returning the Pokémon center" and "near-simultaneously" felt unwieldy to me. For the over-9000 level of nitpickiness, "emerging out of" is a little redundant, and "emerging from" the usual construction.

It is a pretty image, though.

Seconds later, two more shapes emerged from the mountainsides around the valley: a golden dragon down the ridge they were on in the city’s direction, and a black one from the other side of the valley (Mark realized with a flutter in his stomach that it came out from the next cave he’d planned to explore).
This is a pretty convoluted sentence, with the pileup of prepositions in "down the ridge they were on in the city's direction" being particularly wonky. "At the base of the ridge?" Does it matter that it's coming from the direction of the city? And the parenthetical seems like it would work just as well as its own, subsequent sentence.

“Chaletwo?” said Preciure as he folded his wings, having taken his place on Dracobalt’s right. “Working with humans? Really? Well, I suppose I always knew he was a bit nuts.”

“What?” said Chaletwo indignantly. Sensing an argument in the making, Mark quickly spoke to get to the point.
lol nice

It's kind of interesting that these guys are the first legendaries we've seen who've expressed any scorn for humans. The dragons' scheming nastiness is fun, especially in how they don't even care to try to be subtle about it--and how May just lies right off because she doesn't even see any point in dealing with them.

Mark tried his best to keep the shudder off his face.
That's a weird way to put it. Normally shudders wouldn't be on your face anyway.

He roared as he attempted to swipe at her with his claws but missed, only to be struck with a Thunder Wave from Robin’s Luxray.
I wouldn't say "attempted"; he was successful in his swipe. What he attempted to do was hit her.

“Everyone, attack, now!” Robin shouted, and immediately Froslass and Gastrodon began to fire more Ice Beams and Jolteon Thunderbolts.
Preeetty sure there should be a comma between "Jolteon" and "Thunderbolts."

“Yes! Take that, idiots!” Chaletwo shouted triumphantly as their Pokémon landed in the desert sand to catch their breaths.
Man, even Chaletwo's getting really into this battle. :p

All in all I think the battle played out well. There was some clever use of strategy, and it was nice to see the dragons employing a bit of their own counter-strategy, especially with regards to attacking the humans. Most of the previous legendaries have concentrated primarily on the attacking pokémon, but that makes sense--Volcaryu, Polaryu, and Thunderyu have never battled before in their lives and don't even know what humans are, so it makes sense that they'd lash out at the things hurting them while ignoring the ones in the background. On the other hand, the color dragons actually know about humans and training and recognize that if they can take out the trainers the battle will pretty much be over.

Sucks to be Volcar/Thunder/Polaryu, though. You sleep for a millenium, wake up for ten minutes, then have a bunch of things come out of nowhere to hurt you and get stuck in indefinite storage.

I definitely noticed a lot of adverbs going on in this chapter; I'm not sure if I'm just unusually sensitive to them at the moment, or if there's an uptick over your usual number. But overall you did a good job of wrangling a big battle without it becoming confusing. Like I said, this chapter felt a little lacking in substance, but there was some interesting stuff going on in the background with May's continued agitation, and like I said, I enjoyed the exchange between Mark's group and the dragons.

Also, as I alluded to in my VM, I put together what I think is going on with the whole War of the Legends plot. I know you won't respond to most of it (although some parts you perhaps can), but I wanted to put it out there for the record in case any of it turns out to be right, for your entertainment, and so you can get an idea of how some of this stuff comes together for a reader of your 'fic.

Anyway, like I said over VM, it's very clear to me that Mitch is currently harboring Chalenor (from the past), and I think it's likely that he's also at least a Destroyer. We'll begin with what I'm most solid on and move out to increasingly wild speculation.

Note that I recall you saying you didn't know who the Destroyer was until 2006+, so some of your old statements are likely inaccurate for the current version of the 'fic. I will occasionally reference some of them here when they conveniently fit with my view of things (although they're not central to anything I'm saying) and otherwise regard them as filthy lies, as one does.

Chalenor's connection with Mitch is pretty screamingly obvious. You all but come right out and say it here:

A cold shiver ran down his spine as he realized what Mitch’s eyes reminded him of: Chaletwo’s. Like a weaker, non-fatal version.

“I’m not real,” Mitch said softly, looking up again to Mark’s relief. “I’m a dead boy, and a made-up character.

Furthermore, Mitch's abilities indicate that he's hella possessed by some powerful psychic: he can read emotions, he can teleport, he can foretell things, etc. His weird-looking up habit may have to do with being used to having his Death Stare ability and not wanting to look directly at someone and maybe blast them to kingdom come. His eyelids acted as filters, so that wouldn't ordinarily be a concern, so an alternative is maybe it gets really tedious looking down and accidentally seeing to the other side of the planet or what have. All half-joking aside, it would make sense for Chalenor to not be comfortable with direct eye contact.

Also perhaps worth noting:

Mitch suddenly looked up, straight into his eyes, and the wild, frantic gaze of his faintly bluish-gray eyes somehow made Mark forget what he was going to say.

In the past you'd only ever described them as gray, and considering that Chalenor can change the colors of his various trappings, I'm thinking this here is a little bit of Mitchenor having the sads and having his eyes change color a little to suit. Given that he seems more distressed than sad here, I'd expect them to be green rather than blue, but eh, it seems a nice little detail.

As for what indicates that it's past Chalenor and not one quietly rezzed by Mew or something:

“A few months later,” Mitch continued, “a confused teenager named Mitch entered the city with a bad case of amnesia and no identification whatsoever. He looked a little bit similar to poor Richard, although a lot thinner, with more hair and different-colored eyes. He just muttered senseless things about death the first days, but then his memory started coming back and he remembered his name and that he was going to study Biology in Green Town. He did, and later went on to study poisons exclusively. He got a job as a Gym Leader in Scorpio City.”

Mitch paused for a little while, and finally went on:

“Richard Brown doesn’t like him at all, but what can poor Richard do? Long ago he cloaked himself with Mitch, and now thrives on the disguise…”

Richard is afraid of Mitch. He fears this man who has seen so much death, so much pain, so much sorrow. It is too much for a young boy. He never got to grow into an adult, having hidden away for so long.”
The whole "ramblings about death" thing sounds pretty similar to descriptions of Mew when it was starting to be affected by the War's power transfer, and while the second part could be referring to Mitchenor's new death-foretelling abilities, it would also fit very well with a pokémon that had experienced the horrors of the previous War. There's also the fact that Chalenor is dead, as everyone KEEPS SAYING jfc. And he is! It's just that, similar to Suicune and Entei, he found a convenient place to stick his soul. If anything he has to be dead for this all to work out.

So, the Destroyer bit. Unlike every other legendary encountered, Mitchenor has explicitly been growing more powerful recently, rather than less:

“I’ve been having more of these,” Mitch whispered, his eyes shining with uncertainty and fear. “I used to get feelings only occasionally, but now I can’t look at anything without having some bizarre feeling about it. Other people’s emotions keep me awake at night.
Bam. Destroyer.

But there are some logistical problems here.

First, the matter of how Chalenor ended up as Mitchenor in the first place. On the surface, it looks simple enough: Chalenor wants to escape the War, goes to the future, and finds a recently-vacated body to anchor himself to--maybe by searching for the soul-ghost of a recently deceased person. He resurrects the body and anchors his soul to it.

But Mew suggests that there shouldn't have been a way to revive Mitch at all:

“But if she dies, you can just resurrect her, can’t you?” Mark questioned.

“She would merely die again, as the poison remains in her blood,” said Mew.
But if Chalenor actually infused Mitch's body with some of his power, then perhaps his natural resistance to poisons allowed him to endure poison that would have killed an ordinary human--maybe he even got enough power to survive being out in the desert without food or water for as long as he was. Orrrr, given that Chalenor was a true immortal, perhaps soulbonding to Mitch let Mitchenor inherit some of that power and survive his desert vacation.

Then there's the issue that any pokémon should snap back to the past when it's so drained of power that it can't keep the future-link open. And Chalenor did snap back: Mew found his body at the end of the last War.

Perhaps Chalenor was the Destroyer, not the Preserver, in the last cycle--Mew lied. More on its possible motivations later, but for one it would probably make Chaletwo feel a little better to think Chalenor's the Preserver than to admit "oh btw I gave you the murder-death-eyes of the guy who previously drove everybody mad and caused the carnage you see around you, but it's cool, your life's guardian, don't worry about it." In that case, his power might never have been drained enough for him to be forced to return to the past. Return to the past he did, and die he did, in the interest of transferring his soul through that link to a host in the future.

Alternatively, he may have been the Preserver in the past cycle, but be acting as the Destroyer in this one: in that case, he would have weakened enough that he wouldn't have been able to stay in the future, perhaps, but strong enough to hold that link open: soul anchors don't appear to take much energy, seeing as Chaletwo can't time travel anymore but is still anchored to Mark just fine. There would still be power flowing into him through that future link, so perhaps he would still be able to transfer himself through the link when he died. (Just realized how horrifying it would be for Mark to have that channel still be open while Chaletwo started going insane inside Mark's own head. *shudders* Although I guess it wouldn't be a prolonged process, just sudden power surge, sudden crazy, and then presumably Chaletwo pops out of his ball and murders Mark as he goes on a rampage. Given past-Mew's condition, the energy drain may have psychological effects, though.)

It's also possible that he stuck himself in a soul gem in the past, then went and found it in the future and revived himself into Mitch's body (without telling Mew about it; and then his body got all mauled up during the War and Mew assumed he was killed rather than doing it intentionally). That'd be rather clever of him.

Also, there's the matter of Mitchenor only being around for ~7 years but the Destroyer's power drain having begun at least 20 years ago. This is primarily why I say he's a Destroyer. If he's actually the Destroyer from the last war who managed to cheat death, then it's possible there's actually another one out there "assigned" to this cycle, and that one started absorbing energy earlier. Alternatively, it may be less that the Destroyer is actively draining power from the other pokémon than that their power is draining away, and eventually begins to be siphoned off into one legendary in particular--so it was kind of floating around for a while, then started to drain into Mitchenor once he appeared on the scene. It seems most likely, though, that since he's from the past, there's simply another Destroyer active somewhere. It's clearly not one of the legendaries previously captured, and based on what you've said previously it's not going to be the waraider herd, either. That leaves Mew or Mewtwo2, I think.

Mewtwo2 suffers from the same problem as Mitchenor in that he wasn't around twenty years ago either--or at the end of the previous war at all, for that matter. It is noteworthy that he's absurdly powerful, which means that he should be drained extremely quickly, but if anything he's gotten more powerful over the course of the story. Of course, it's possible that he was just even more ridiculously powerful than we've seen, and his brokenness is actually a big come-down from what he'd otherwise be capable of. Or perhaps being kept in a pokéball as much as he has been means there hasn't been much opportunity for the Destroyer to get at him. One way or another, there's clearly something up with him. Mew I'll talk about later.

Or perhaps the Destroyer isn't a pokémon that lived through/was resurrected from the previous War, but is one that died, and its power resides on the spiritual plane until it absorbs enough energy to start manifesting on the physical plane and finds a suitable host. That'd suck for Entei and Suicune and anybody else who assumed they'd be safe on the spiritual plane, but hey.

As an aside (sort of): why would Chalenor take a human body rather than a pokémon body? Mitchenor has consistently spoken highly of humans, particularly in terms of their creative abilities:

“Amazing, isn’t it? Pokémon are superior to us, but we’re the ones who ‘own’ them. And there’s a reason for it. Pokémon, while quite matching our intelligence, lack one thing. It is creativity. On their own, Pokémon only use battling techniques passed down generation by generation. Taking two things we know and figuring out that we can make something new out of them, that is our specialty, and that is exactly what they can’t do. This is why they seek our company in the first place. We can teach them things that seem obvious to us, but their brains have never been built to understand. Even Alakazam, with an IQ of 5000, will battle far better with a human’s aid. We need each other…”

Pokémon are powerful, Mark. Extremely. If other animals came here with the humans, they landed in direct competition with the Pokémon, and didn’t survive. Humans, on the other hand, figured out that they had one advantage over the Pokémon, and used it. They knew that their only hope to fight Pokémon was with other Pokémon, and they managed to cooperate with them. Very clever indeed. But when you think about it, the Pokémon’s end of the deal is still cleverer. They weren’t driven into the deal by any need. They could have wiped us out if the wanted – but they didn’t. They figured it would be for the good of everyone to make the deal.

It's possible that Chalenor originally sought out a human to bond to because he was hoping that together they'd be able to think up a way to end the War. Perhaps it's more an attempt at a kind of symbolic attack on the War's structure: pokémon are bound by tradition and humans are not, so the only way to break the cycle of destruction is to take a human form/somehow appeal to the humans to stop it. The pokémon need humans to help them stop the war. Or perhaps it's to do with the fact that the legendaries always seek each other out to murder--perhaps he figured he'd be safe from the next War in a human body because the rampaging legendaries wouldn't bother him as long as he stayed out of their way. It strikes me as very interesting that Mew and Mitchenor have essentially opposite views on life: Mew's obsession with fate is a very "pokémonish" view of things, where what happens happens and it's pointless to try something different, whereas Mitchenor is much more "odds are just odds; you've just got to try and hope for the best" and obviously rather enamored of humans and their creative abilities. To some extent I think there's been an assumption from most of the characters that Chalenor and Mew would have been working together to stop the War, if they tried to do so, but given how different perspectives are, perhaps they're each doing their own thing.

I will say, though, that the legendary pokémon, at least the war trio, have been showing a great deal of creativity and initiative. Chaletwo's plan might not be very good, but I don't think anybody could accuse it of being traditional.

Or perhaps Chalenor was desperate and just latched onto the nearest recent body he could find, and then when he returned to consciousness/sanity had the mother of all "well, ****" moments.

All that said, I think that Chalenor traveled forward in time and established a link with Mitch, through which he is currently draining the legendaries' power.

Moving on from there, what does this suggest about the rest of the plot and characters?

You've set Mew up to be very, very fishy throughout all this, particularly with regard to Mewtwo's little time-traveling escapade. It seems clear that Mew and Chalenor had some kind of plan to avoid or avert the War of the Legends in the own time, that war happened anyway, and at least Mew is convinced that the next one's coming whether they like it or not, too. The fact that essentially all the information about the war is gotten secondhand through Mew means that there are almost certainly some false assumptions in my reasoning, but it's also pretty much all I have to go on, so.

First, what's most suspicious about Mew: the way she's treated the whole time-traveling story. This is what she told Chalenor.

“Chalenor could travel through time, just like me, and once he happened to venture far into the future and find Mewtwo there. Mewtwo was interested in Chalenor’s time when he heard that Mew had existed then – Mew and Chalenor were good friends.

“So Chalenor agreed to take Mewtwo to his time, but what they didn’t know was that at that time, the War of the Legends was rapidly approaching. And while Mewtwo was still there, the Destroyer made all the Legendaries mad – including Mewtwo.
If this is true, then it means the Mew Mewtwo saw must have been one from later in the time stream who went forward in time to a point earlier than Chalenor so she could get a copy of Mewtwo's body and take it back with her. But there is literally no reason to do this, because Mewtwo was already back in her own time at that point and she could have just made a copy of him right then and there. If she'd left before Chalenor brought Mewtwo back, when there was no Mewtwo present in the past to make a copy of, then she wouldn't have even known Mewtwo existed. Which, okay, maybe she just needed any random pokémon's body for her plan. But if so, why not just make a copy of Chalenor, who's much more conveniently located in the past? Well, maybe she needs to make a copy of a legendary that exists in the future but not in their current present to prevent some kind of paradox or something (bring back future-Moltres who gets brutalized in the war, suddenly no Moltres for the future, oops paradox). There might be something to that, actually. But it still strikes me as very convoluted (and again, why not just copy Mewtwo once he'd come back to the past?).

As an aside, I'm ruling out that Mew could have nabbed Mewtwo's body and brought it back, followed by Chalenor deciding to go and get the real thing later on in the past. This is based on the state Mew was in when she showed up at Mewtwo's pad--it's possible Chalenor wasn't as badly affected by the power drain, whether because Destroyer or otherwise, but even so, by that point he would've been aware that something was up because other legends done be going crazy, and it seems like that would come through in whatever conversation he had with Mewtwo, to where I'd expect Mewtwo to be more like, "Um, do you need help?" than "Hey bro can you show me the sweet past?"

What rings the most alarm bells for me, though, is the fact that Mew showed up to Mewtwo alone. She shouldn't be able to time travel at all, unless she's lied by huge omission and is actually the Creator/Destroyer/Preserver of the previous cycle (only the Preserver is confirmed to be able to time travel, but why not all three?). But if she's not, then where'd Chaletwo go off to when she was copying Mewtwo's body? I suppose she could have left him idling at the curb while she nipped in to grab a snapshot, but that strikes me as strange.

This brings us to the final question: what were Mew and/or Chalenor up to? Were they trying to stop the previous War, or were they just trying to save themselves? How might their plan have extended into the current cycle, if at all?

One thing is clear to me: Chalenor was supposed to survive the previous War, but didn't. Mew in the prologue is obviously hugely distressed when she comes across his body, so that obviously wasn't according to plan--at least not according to her plan (see earlier notes on Mitchenor). Probably the plan had something to do with time traveling--nothing as simple as what Mark suggested, "Just skip to after the war and be okay," since I assume they know that wouldn't work, but perhaps using some resource from the future or even establishing links to people in the future the way Chalinor has. It's possible that the intended result was to try something like having Chalinor be the last one to survive the War and see whether the Destroyer/Creator could combined into one, or something. There's really not enough to go on here other than at least Mew and maybe Chalinor, in part together and prehaps also separately, had contingencies in place for the War, and they involved time travel.

There's the matter of "insurance" in the form of Mewtwo's body. It seems most likely that Mew wanted a body around in case things went south and one of them died and was mutilated so badly they couldn't be resurrected. I'm also intrigued by the fact that the prologue indicated that one of Chalenor's eyes was totally destroyed, but the other was simply gone, gouged out of the socket. It's certainly possible that one just got dug out during the fighting, rolled off somewhere, and stayed intact, but I'm intrigued by the possibility that Chalenor actually removed it prior to the final fight and put it somewhere for safekeeping, because he'd need his death-eyes in whatever new body he took. Granted, I don't know why Mew couldn't just create a new body from scratch for him to inhabit, given her powers; I don't know why she couldn't create an army of death-eyes 'mon if she wanted to; I don't know why she couldn't recreate the old legendaries instead of creating an entirely new set--I mean, sure, they'd be different people, assuming she couldn't link their souls to the new bodies, but they were at least able to remake Vaxil, so what about all the other legendaries that apparently went extinct in the last War?

At this juncture I also thought I'd bring up a complicating factor: the pedant in me points out that the Mewtwo in the prologue couldn't be the copy Mew brought back with it because the wound on its chest is bleeding. If it's a copy of the body and not actually alive (i.e. no heartbeat), then it can't bleed. I don't expect fourteen-year-old-you to have accounted for that, though.

Also perhaps worth noting: if Mew had nabbed a body with the idea of reviving someone into it, then she was assuming she'd be able to snag their soul and shove it in there. It's not clear how long she was out after the end of the War, so perhaps that wouldn't have worked anyway because the souls had all dissipated. If not, though--then Chalinor's soul wasn't around for her to revive for some reason, that reason being, of course, that it was already chilling in the future.

Then there's Mew acting strange recently. It's not clear whether her fatalism predated her current state, even considering her fairly bouncy attitude; I wonder whether it was directly caused by trying and failing so hard at escaping from/stopping the War last time. It seems likely that she cheered up for a while because, for whatever reason, she believed that their plan had succeeded even though Chalinor died and there wouldn't be a future War. Then, of course, it becomes clear that the Destroyer is at work again, and Mew slowly loses hope; they didn't manage to break the cycle after all. As for why she changed her tune in terms of telling people about the War, it may have to do with her recently having discovered that Mitchenor's alive. He's been around for seven years, and she was a captive in Rick's gym for three of those. It's quite possible that she didn't realize he was around for those first four years, since she was hanging out in Rainbow Woods, and he wasn't powerful enough for her to detect his presence, perhaps. But after she escaped, she found him soon enough (if nothing else she showed up at random for, like, five paragraphs when May was convalescing in his gym), so now she's definitely aware of what's up. Perhaps knowing that he's back finally confirmed for her that there really is nothing anybody can do to stop the War, so it's safe to let them know about it. Like, maybe she knew there was a soul gem out there, and she didn't want to risk that someone would figure things out and go destroy it before Chalenor, the destroyer, could be reincarnated into a new body? That would obviously make Mew something of a villain, but idk. To be honest, I would consider Chaletwo's explanation, that she was depressed at the end of the last War because Chalenor died, and now she's depressed again because the War's about to happen again, perfectly plausible. It's only the Mewtwo chapter that was basically a big "HMMM WHAT IS UP WITH MEW" that even makes me consider that there's something more going on with it than that.

So why does the guardian of life have death-eyes? Well:

Chaletwo: Why do you have a death stare? Would it work on the Destroyer or Mew?/I don't know why I have Death Stare. But it can kill anything, yes.
Chalenor's eye-powers are the only thing that can kill the Destroyer, despite it being a true immortal. (I assume it just knocks the soul right outta its body or sommat, something that super-fast tissue regeneration wouldn't be able to fix.) So in that sense he's the only one who can stand between life and the Destroyer. Of course, there's nothing to indicate that the Preserver always has some kind of power to defeat the Destroyer, but at least in this case that's the explanation I like.

There may also be something in the fact that Mewtwo is a clone of Mew. With the addition of Chalenor's eye-powers, he now has elements of the Creator and the Destroyer in him; how that might actually be an advantage/affect anything ever I don't know, but I think it's worth noting. That also could explain why Mew went after him as her "insurance" (so why not herself? idk but generally you aren't supposed to interact with your past/future self when you go time traveling because bad things happen).

One way or another, it seems abundantly clear to me that whatever the resolution looks like, time-traveling shenanigans are going to play a very large part in it.

That's all I got, then. Like I said, there are some pretty big assumptions going on here, but I'm assuming that the really big ones are okay. Like, I'm assuming that there really *is* a Creator/Destroyer/Preserver trio and that Mew wasn't covering up that, say, the Creator/Destroyer role is actually one and the same. No way to know if that's the case, but while what I've got has a lot of holes, I think some parts of it are fairly solid, and hopefully it's at least gesturing in the right direction.

Some additional notes:

- There's the whole "Mark's mysterious nightmares" bit that came up in early chapters. They clearly had to do with Chaletwo (or Chalenor) and were quietly dropped after he actually started on the legendary-capturing quest, so I'm taking them as either foreshadowing his destiny as Chaletwo's chosen (not that this makes any sense, because it wasn't premeditated and Chaletwo wasn't actually ~watching him~) or a dropped/aborted plot thread and not considering it further.

- There's the animal world vs pokémon world, which I could have sworn came up again in recent chapters, but if so I completely missed it. That means the only time it was ever mentioned was when Mitch was talking to Mark shortly after Mark's resurrection. Mitch said this was important and Mark should remember it, but as it's literally never been mentioned again I'm taking it as not actually being THAT important, or important in the sense that the animal world is relevant to the plot. The little speech may have been more about Mitch's (Chalenor's) understanding of the relationship between humans and pokémon. Otherwise there are a variety of ways one could see the animal world being crucial to the plot and Mew/Chalenor's plans: stuff the destroyer in the animal world, for example, and its pulse of energy presumably won't be able to reach the other legends.

- I'll bet there are a metric ton of unfinished sentences hiding in here. My bad.

Another thing I'm wondering: how in the hell Mew/Chalenor/other legendaries??? figured out the whole war thing in the previous cycle. Well, I guess if Chalenor was Preserver then the Creator of that time might have told him, and then he told Mew. Or perhaps one or both of them have actually lived multiple cycles. If Mew was tearing around in such a bad state during her copy-Mewtwo trip, it would seem like it didn't learn about what was going on until very late in the game, or it would have tried to make arrangements before it was in such a bad state. Or, I suppose, it impulsively decided to go for more "insurance" after things started to get bad, but one way or another it gets me wondering.

Also, Mark still has that clone ball in his pocket that, unlike the master ball, can be recharged (I presume) and used if necessary for ethical funtimes surefire capturing. And I believe he still technically has Mew, so if they're able to find it again he should be able to just recall it and have done.

And dang but there are a lot of versions of Mew running around out there. Mew itself, Mewtwo, Chaletwo, and Mewtwo2. did twelve-year-old you think clones were cool

Finally, I found this great quote from 2005:

I don't think you're realizing, people, that this fic will probably have over 50 chapters. It's not going to end for another year or two, dears.

And so, the prosecution rests. (Literally. Is bedtime.)

One way or another, I figure the next few chapters should be fun. I'm now hoping that Mitch doesn't show up in the next few chapters, since you've stated pretty clearly that the reveal won't happen fora while yet, so if he does, I'm probably wrong. He could be away on mysterious business! Or maybe he's still around, but Mark continues to not figure anything out. Also acceptable. Anyway, I recall you mentioning Carl's coming back; not sure whether he's one of the "familiar faces" in 66-69 or later, but one way or another I imagine that'll be a lot of fun, whether it means he'll be on Mark's case, causing trouble with Volcaryu, or just roped into going off after the waraider herd while unhappily surrounded by a bunch of preteens. Presumably you'll have Sparky reappear as well. I'm particularly looking forward to the resolution of Rick's subplot--or perhaps it'll turn out to be "plot" instead of "sub."

me said:
Funny to think that the 'fic is actually finished and we're closing in on the end, assuming it doesn't take a year for each of those remaining chapters.

Good luck with your writing! Hopefully you don't find the going as frustrating as it was for this chapter.

Last edited: