• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
In written language, does the verb reply should come with the preposition back afterwards, or that's the main essence of this verb about this meaning, that it doesn't require any preposition after it?
I've been using it quite often lately but and I've been wondering if the back [or any other preposition?] should be added afterwards or not..

PsychicPsycho

Does anyone in here engage in sudoku? I've got a puzzle in which I can't find any further numbers, and I'm sick of looking at it (probably been looking at its current form for 2 or more hours).

Here's the puzzle, including everything I've filled in:
[SPOIL]
[1][9][6] * [3][7][4] * [5][8][2]
[7][4][2] * [5][8][6] * [9][3][1]
[5][3][8] * [1][2][9] * [7][6][4]

[_][5][_] * [_][_][_] * [4][_][_]
[_][1][_] * [_][_][_] * [_][9][_]
[_][2][4] * [_][_][_] * [_][1][_]

[4][8][_] * [_][6][_] * [3][_][9]
[3][7][9] * [_][_][8] * [_][_][6]
[2][6][_] * [9][_][3] * [_][_][_]
[/SPOIL]
It's especially annoying since I completely filled in the top 3 rows, and I wrote down the possibilities for each square but that didn't yield anything either (I can write these upon request, but I figured it just crowd the puzzle). Also, I've confirmed the above numbers are correct.

I'm not really looking for the whole answer, I just want to know if someone can find something to do. Then I'd like to find out by what rule that was able to be found. I'm assuming it's either very obvious or very complicated.
How many carbs/calories do you guys think is taken off when you ask them to remove the inside of the bread at Subway?
What do you mean by this? The image I'm seeing is a sandwich held inside just crust, which doesn't seem right.

PsychicPsycho

Is there a good site to post professional pictures on? I was thinking about posting some pictures of some designs I made on Photobucket (since I'd used that site for non-serious stuff), but wasn't sure if there was a better site.

Another way might be to say I'm looking for the Linkedin of picture posting sites.
Is big Daddy a hero antagonist? Is Kratos a villain Protagonist?
Kratos would likely be referred to as an anti-hero. If you're talking about only Subject Delta, then I'd call him a hero, although it's close to the grey area in between. If you mean just Big Daddies in general, that'd be harder for me to call, since we don't know much about each individual one.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Kratos is definitely a villain protagonist, it's just he's going up against people a little worse than him most of the time. Otherwise he's an awful person on his own.

Lanik

In written language, does the verb reply should come with the preposition back afterwards, or that's the main essence of this verb about this meaning, that it doesn't require any preposition after it?
I've been using it quite often lately but and I've been wondering if the back [or any other preposition?] should be added afterwards or not..

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to say "reply to" not "reply back".

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo

It doesn't really need a preposition at all, unless you mention to whom you are replying. So, ""I love Pokemon," I reply" does not need a preposition, but otherwise you can say ""I love Pokemon," I reply to him".

If I've misunderstood your question, please clarify what you meant with an example - but hopefully I've answered it :)

Chaos Werewolf

Fairy trainer
So Lex Luther thinks Alines are allays Evil? Thues Superman has to be Evil, and he thinks he's good but didn't he work with Sinestro? Or am I confused?

Silent_Vibrava

Fanfiction Writer
What's the best dancepad I can buy for PC so I can play stepmania? I want to lose weight so bad!

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to say "reply to" not "reply back".

It doesn't really need a preposition at all, unless you mention to whom you are replying. So, ""I love Pokemon," I reply" does not need a preposition, but otherwise you can say ""I love Pokemon," I reply to him".

If I've misunderstood your question, please clarify what you meant with an example - but hopefully I've answered it :)

That's roughly what i meant. I understand it better now. Thank you guys.
Another issue i'm rather often having troubles with in grammar is prepositions in general. How do i know which preposition come after each and every verb. Is there any logic behind this? All this 'it's in or on or at' dilema that i should write now really bothers me.

What's the best dancepad I can buy for PC so I can play stepmania? I want to lose weight so bad!

Well. If your trying to lose weight your probably better off going with like a actual diet+exercise. Not that dancing games are not exercise but like. Running biking swimming stuff like that (Cardio basically) is generally going to benifit weight loss more then dancing games . .

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
That's roughly what i meant. I understand it better now. Thank you guys.
Another issue i'm rather often having troubles with in grammar is prepositions in general. How do i know which preposition come after each and every verb. Is there any logic behind this? All this 'it's in or on or at' dilema that i should write now really bothers me.

As a native speaker, I haven't learnt any set rule like that. All I can recommend is to read a lot - I'm sure you already do, but just carrying on reading and writing in English is the best way to practise. If you're not sure if a verb should take a certain preposition, you can look it up on Wiktionary or something, and it will have examples of how the verb should be used. Something I'd do is maybe put a note in your signature to ask people to correct your grammar if they see it is incorrect. If you have any specific questions, feel free to VM me. :)

Kal Mage

I'm going to like this thread a lot but please, don't judge me if I'm asking too many questions or simple questions. Sometimes, I only and will only believe what I believe or will always believe. Like I cannot just go look up articles and research on certain things to entertain me, I sometimes want to be persuaded on certain things. So here goes.

Why people enjoy such harsh music to their ears when they simply can't mimic or sing to such music such as Metal, Hardcore Rock, Heavy Metal, Screaming, Dubstep (unless its just music and no singing) and yeah.

Like I would understand why people ask me "why do you listen to Korean pop when you barely know what they're saying," because sometimes I can clearly say I am able to sing, translate the lyrics and memorize what symbol or romaninaztion translation to English. Sometimes I don't sound too good, sometimes I sound like utter crap but I know and believe I can sing and I will continue to do so. But I still need to be lectured on how can one enjoy the music I asked about. Please entertain me. I have so many questions to ask, even my friends can't answer all of them for me. (I'm a really curious person)

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I'm going to like this thread a lot but please, don't judge me if I'm asking too many questions or simple questions. Sometimes, I only and will only believe what I believe or will always believe. Like I cannot just go look up articles and research on certain things to entertain me, I sometimes want to be persuaded on certain things. So here goes.

Why people enjoy such harsh music to their ears when they simply can't mimic or sing to such music such as Metal, Hardcore Rock, Heavy Metal, Screaming, Dubstep (unless its just music and no singing) and yeah.

Like I would understand why people ask me "why do you listen to Korean pop when you barely know what they're saying," because sometimes I can clearly say I am able to sing, translate the lyrics and memorize what symbol or romaninaztion translation to English. Sometimes I don't sound too good, sometimes I sound like utter crap but I know and believe I can sing and I will continue to do so. But I still need to be lectured on how can one enjoy the music I asked about. Please entertain me. I have so many questions to ask, even my friends can't answer all of them for me. (I'm a really curious person)

Some people just like the beat or the way it sounds, and don't listen to music for the words. There's plenty of music out there that's just instrumental, because a lot of people just like to hear the music without the singing. Music without words can remind you of good memories, or a place you like being, or the sky or the river or the sea or anything. It can be about whatever you want it to be about. Music with words is only about what the singer is saying.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion

Lyrics don't mean everything. For example, there's a Japanese metal band called Concerto Moon who are purely instrumental in some of their songs, and they sound amazing. I enjoy a lot of metal music (Thrash metal and Power Metal prominently) because most songs have some amazing guitar solos that make you wonder how anyone could ever replicate it. In some things, lyrics do play a part. It's not all about the screaming/growling that you'd typically associate with metal music (well, a fair few people assume all metal music is "screamo"). For example, Metallica have several themes in their songs, like war, suicide and being executed by electric chair, which leads to some interesting lyrics.
I'd give videos but I'm not too sure you'd bother, but certain songs have some parts of it that sound brilliant. It'd be a similar thing with your Korean Pop example. There's parts in certain songs that you enjoy. It's the same for most songs, but it depends on what the person likes.

Hopefully that answers a few questions.

Silent_Vibrava

Fanfiction Writer
Well. If your trying to lose weight your probably better off going with like a actual diet+exercise. Not that dancing games are not exercise but like. Running biking swimming stuff like that (Cardio basically) is generally going to benifit weight loss more then dancing games . .

Um, that's not answering my question.

For those who are wondering why I'm so hellbent on DDR and Stepmania:

Regular exercise hasn't benefited me more than dance games. I have lost 40+ pounds in one summer, one multiple occasions, using Dance Dance Revolution and kept it off better. My diet is, more often than not, very healthy. Regular exercise just bores me to death, I have no transportation to a gym being in college without a car, and I have asthma so I must stay indoors in polluted soCal. Especially during the summer.

I'll repeat my question. Does anyone know the best dancepad to buy for PC so I can play stepmania?

Kreis

Still Dirrty
In Brazilian Portuguese, what would one say to greet a large number of people, like in a classroom? I know how to greet individuals (i.e, Oi, como vai você?), but I've no idea how I would greet a large multiple people at once. Like, in English, I would say "How y'all doing/How are you all doing?"

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I'll repeat my question. Does anyone know the best dancepad to buy for PC so I can play stepmania?

" The Best " dancepad would be one of those Metal Dancepads that emulate the feel of the arcade machines. Those seem to start at around $150 these days, though.

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
Lately i've listened to music in my iphone and after pressing the pause button of its corresponding earphones it popes up the screen of voice control and then randomly changed my playlist to some album it chose to play. It wasn't this way before. Anybody knows how i can bring it back to normal?