• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Meowth City

Staff member
Hi, check this out: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/arms/exercises/5-arm-exercises-for-toned-upper-body/
Don't go crazy with weird diets, it is all about eating in moderation and drinking water to get rid of lipids
Thanks! Those workouts look really simple. I'll definitely have a go at them.
No worries there. I eat quite healthily - not too little and nothing in excess - and I drink more than 8 cups of water a day.

Speaking of which, I am a practicing pescatarian (i.e. I don't eat meat, aside from fish), so that might have something to do with it as well, but I really don't want to change my diet because I don't like red meat for one and also for health reasons. High blood pressure runs in my family.

you won't get huge muscles without purposely trying to do so. men have to put in a lot of work to bulk up and women have to put in even more effort because of how our bodies are. the stuff sheepy lamby posted is good, and i just usually do chest presses and a few other arm workouts on machines at the gym. if you have access to a gym i think that is the easiest way to do it, at least at the start until you get comfortable with the motions.
Haha, true. I used to do weight training back in the day, but it just wasn't for me and I never gained much from doing it. Chest presses seems like a good idea, so that's something to consider. I haven't been to a gym since college. Hmm, it might be time for me to revisit that. Thank you for the advice.

I am a very petite girl (I only weigh 100 lbs/45 kg) and I have a lot of upper body strength. I don't look muscular, but I'm very strong. I got this way because starting in high school, I got into kayaking and canoeing, and I worked at a Scout camp and belayed on the high ropes a lot. I was out on the lake kayaking every single day all summer, and on a lot of weekends during the school year. Because of this, I had VERY wide shoulders for a girl my size and a lot of people commented on it. I couldn't fit my shoulders into a lot of nice tops with cap sleeves because of it. Basically, what I'm saying is that if you do a lot of physical activity that requires upper body strength, it will eventually build up.
Since my job often requires me to carry a lot of stock at times, it's definitely helped me build my strength, so I understand what you're saying. Thanks for the input.

____

Yeah, I forgot to mention in my last post that I used to be somewhat of a gymnast, so I'm not afraid of doing a lot of hard work or physical activity. In fact, I am still a relatively active and fit individual, but I always manage to look skinny and not toned. I think the issue might have more to do with the types of exercises I need to be doing, rather than having to do more of the same. Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I will try them all out and hopefully it helps.

Sheepy Lamby

Thanks! Those workouts look really simple. I'll definitely have a go at them.
No worries there. I eat quite healthily - not too little and nothing in excess - and I drink more than 8 cups of water a day.

Speaking of which, I am a practicing pescatarian (i.e. I don't eat meat, aside from fish), so that might have something to do with it as well, but I really don't want to change my diet because I don't like red meat for one and also for health reasons. High blood pressure runs in my family.

Your welcome. One more thing, beware of fish, some kinds have cholesterol and that can affect your blood pressure. Also compensate the lack of meat with carbs (cereal, bread) but you know, bread in excess is bad.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Hi all. So lately, I've been having trouble sleeping. I've been stressing over things at home and life in general and that has been keeping me up at night. I don't wamt to take anything because I worry about becoming dependant. My brother has been on drugs and the thing I fear is turning out like him, you know?

I was wondering, is there anything I can do to help me fall asleep withiut having to take anything? I need to sleep, I go back to work tomorrow. I have to be up every morning at seven and I need to sleep now.

Null&VoidXIII

Shiny Hunter
Hi all. So lately, I've been having trouble sleeping. I've been stressing over things at home and life in general and that has been keeping me up at night. I don't wamt to take anything because I worry about becoming dependant. My brother has been on drugs and the thing I fear is turning out like him, you know?

I was wondering, is there anything I can do to help me fall asleep withiut having to take anything? I need to sleep, I go back to work tomorrow. I have to be up every morning at seven and I need to sleep now.
I understand where you're coming from completely. I myself have many family members who're dependent on drugs, although many of the over counter medications you get for better sleep tend not to have such effects, unless you try and overdose that is. If you're like myself though and have a low tolerance for medication I'd suggest the following...

You may try and give yourself about fifteen minutes or so ahead of time to relax in bed. Watching any kind of screen be it a TV or game (in the dark) before bed can in fact keep you up. If neither of these does any good you can try relaxation techniques. Examples would be lighting candles or calming your muscles. Think about the muscles you want to relax in sequence from your feet on up to your head, then try and ease up the tension. You could also drink any form of tea, which in my experience has a rather soothing effect to it.

Hopefully one of these helps. If not, you can always PM me for further advice if you indeed wish to do so.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo

Adding to what Null&Void said, if you do tend to spend a lot of time on the computer at night, you can download and install f.lux, which automatically changes the hue of your computer screen past sunset from blue light (which is the kind that keeps your mind thinking it's day) to a more orange hue, which makes for better sleeping. I know it's only a small thing, but I hope it will be helpful anyway. It takes a while to get used to the orangeness, though.

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
Is there any way to upload a photo (a profile one if it matters) on facebook with a subscription on it without the photo being edited afterwards? (If yes, i'd like to know if it can be done through the mobile as well)

Kacho

You are next.
Is chewing expired gums bad?

Also sometimes in downtown I see birds (pidgeons?) sitting on the ground and not showing legs. Are they tired? Are they waiting for something to happen? (there's no eggs, they're sitting on concrete and cars!)

Airi-Chan

Falling Roses
Is chewing expired gums bad?

Also sometimes in downtown I see birds (pidgeons?) sitting on the ground and not showing legs. Are they tired? Are they waiting for something to happen? (there's no eggs, they're sitting on concrete and cars!)

I think it's basic stuff, except the chewing expired gums, it's bad for your health.

JackD334

Help sharing an idea.

Hi all, I was directed here after posting the below questions.

"I've been here a while now but haven't posted a huge amount, so hav limited experience using the forums still.
I've had an idea and am not sure where or how to post it in the appropriate forum.
So I thought I'll share my idea here, and if anyone wants to adopt it their welcome.

I always put a lot of thoughts into building a teamfor myself before I start a new game. I usually base my teams on my own favourites or those which will create a good balance, though I have recently been experimenting with monotype playthroughs aswell.
My idea is to at the start of a play through, with the help of pokemon bank build a team of five level five pokemon, plus your chosen starter.
Then, pairing up with another person doing the same, trade all but your starter pokemon over with them so you end up with a team of five random pokes plus your starter of choice.
It's a very raw idea, I'm not sure of pokemon bank can be used I erase the issue of traded pokemon not 'listening' in battle, if it did then I'd prefer to trade starters aswell for a completely random start to the game.
What do you guys think? Does anyone want to pair up with me?
And is there anywhere more appropriate that I could post this?
Cheers for your time, hope this idea can be fun for a lot of people,
Jack"

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Hi all, I was directed here after posting the below questions.

"I've been here a while now but haven't posted a huge amount, so hav limited experience using the forums still.
I've had an idea and am not sure where or how to post it in the appropriate forum.
So I thought I'll share my idea here, and if anyone wants to adopt it their welcome.

I always put a lot of thoughts into building a teamfor myself before I start a new game. I usually base my teams on my own favourites or those which will create a good balance, though I have recently been experimenting with monotype playthroughs aswell.
My idea is to at the start of a play through, with the help of pokemon bank build a team of five level five pokemon, plus your chosen starter.
Then, pairing up with another person doing the same, trade all but your starter pokemon over with them so you end up with a team of five random pokes plus your starter of choice.
It's a very raw idea, I'm not sure of pokemon bank can be used I erase the issue of traded pokemon not 'listening' in battle, if it did then I'd prefer to trade starters aswell for a completely random start to the game.
What do you guys think? Does anyone want to pair up with me?
And is there anywhere more appropriate that I could post this?
Cheers for your time, hope this idea can be fun for a lot of people,
Jack"

Maybe try posting it here? http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?614378-6th-Gen-Challenge-Ideas&

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
aside from drinking coffee' i've lately been drinking a lot of fruit juice

ok so my question is basically about whenever i drink juice ( lemon most of the time), i would sometimes feel my throat a bit hot - i don't know what's the reasoning behind it but is it because of the acid behind the juice or is it some other kind of reason that i haven't seen myself

can anyone help me :/

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
aside from drinking coffee' i've lately been drinking a lot of fruit juice

ok so my question is basically about whenever i drink juice ( lemon most of the time), i would sometimes feel my throat a bit hot - i don't know what's the reasoning behind it but is it because of the acid behind the juice or is it some other kind of reason that i haven't seen myself

can anyone help me :/

It probably is just the acid, or something else inside the fruit. I certainly get that sensation when I drink honey and lemon.

Ninfia-Fan

Long story short, I want to learn Japanese at some point, but the class I'd enrolled in for year 11 has been cancelled and the other language classes are French, German and Chinese. What I want to know is: if I learn Chinese in Year 11 and 12, will it eventually help me learn Japanese? Or, because Japanese and Chinese are quite different, will it be mostly pointless?

AlbinoDino

Icy Swirls
Long story short, I want to learn Japanese at some point, but the class I'd enrolled in for year 11 has been cancelled and the other language classes are French, German and Chinese. What I want to know is: if I learn Chinese in Year 11 and 12, will it eventually help me learn Japanese? Or, because Japanese and Chinese are quite different, will it be mostly pointless?

They're completely different, that being said it doesnt hurt to still learn Chinese (or any other language you dont know really) since that's a more important asian language to learn for jobs/translation/ect. Continue to keep learning new things always~

Ninfia-Fan

They're completely different, that being said it doesnt hurt to still learn Chinese (or any other language you dont know really) since that's a more important asian language to learn for jobs/translation/ect. Continue to keep learning new things always~

Ok. Thanks for the help.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo

They're very different grammatically - the only thing that will likely be helpful is learning the characters. Japanese uses Chinese characters, and by learning them first, you will be quite far ahead. The only thing is, in Chinese you're likely to learn the "simplified" versions of the characters, whereas in Japan they use the "traditional" versions. So, depending on how your mind works, it might just make things more confusing.

There are similarities in word order in some cases in German and Japanese - so that might be something to think about.

ChicaSkas

Hello! I'm superbrandnew.

Is there an introductions forum anywhere?

thanks!

-- Chica

Kacho

You are next.
i lost my 3ds stencil/pencil thing at uni and this is urgent...

what do you call that thing?
im looking at target.com now trying to find how much it is

EDIT: I think it's called stylus... but am i looking at the right one? they have the pokemon one for $10