• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Are math questions allowed here? I want to just test something.
1 + 1 + 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 * 0 = ?
6/2(1+2) = ?

Do you know the order of operations (which you should have learned when you were like 2)? If so then these questions shouldn't be a problem.

Katipunero

Eye in the Sky
Do you know the order of operations (which you should have learned when you were like 2)? If so then these questions shouldn't be a problem.
I do know the answers. I said I wanted to test something. I've seen the first question on Facebook once and I saw so many people answered 0 instead of 3, saying "Anything multiplied by zero is zero".
As for the second question, I came to see it in this:
2957368_700b.jpg

Zazie

So 1991
I do know the answers. I said I wanted to test something. I've seen the first question on Facebook once and I saw so many people answered 0 instead of 3, saying "Anything multiplied by zero is zero".
As for the second question, I came to see it in this:
2957368_700b.jpg

The answer to the second question is 1.

Remember, Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally or PEMDAS. You multiply before you divide.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
The answer to the second question is 1.

Remember, Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally or PEMDAS. You multiply before you divide.

Division and multiplication happen at the same time. You just go from left to right. Same with addition and subtraction.

I've been to elementary school more recently than you so don't argue.

Also you must be really old if you think PEMDAS stands for Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. All the hip kids know it stands for Penguin Escalators Make Dogs Angry & Stuff

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
Division and multiplication happen at the same time. You just go from left to right. Same with addition and subtraction.

I've been to elementary school more recently than you so don't argue.

Also you must be really old if you think PEMDAS stands for Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally. All the hip kids know it stands for Penguin Escalators Make Dogs Angry & Stuff

Damn, I just got served.

This brings up the somewhat related question:

What the hell is a whippersnapper?

Gelatino95

Not a tool
This brings up the somewhat related question:

What the hell is a whippersnapper?

A colloquial term for a disobedient child. Back in ye olden days, disobedient children used to get whipped by their parents, so that's where the term came from. It's not always used in a negative connotation these days.

Enjyu

Made In China.
Ah I have a question. How do animals learn instinct? I mean of course it's done through selective breeding, but how do the genetic traits slowly develop to cross a gap so huge?

The ones better suited to their environment live longer, therefore breed more.

Rezzo

Occasionally
That's just selective breeding. I'm questioning how an animal goes from having to learn a particular behaviour, to being born with it. Neurological impulses aren't passed down genetically.

Enjyu

Made In China.
That's just selective breeding. I'm questioning how an animal goes from having to learn a particular behaviour, to being born with it. Neurological impulses aren't passed down genetically.

Their parents teach them to do it.

Rezzo

Occasionally
Their parents teach them to do it.

If their parents teach then to do it, then it isn't a genetic instinct is it. Gosh.

I want to test something. Does a tree make a sound when it falls in the forest, and there is no one around?
No, it doesn't. Sound is a perception of vibrations made by our eardrums. Without ears around to hear it there's no sound, but just vibration.

Enjyu

Made In China.
Ah, then what is the sound of one hand clapping?

Edit: Can you describe it perfectly or very accurately?

You make no sense whatsoever.... But one hand clapping on a wall is a slapping sound I guess.

^without sound there would be nothing to hear.

PerseusRad

I see you. And you.
No, it doesn't. Sound is a perception of vibrations made by our eardrums. Without ears around to hear it there's no sound, but just vibration.

Thank you for that answer. I really did not know.

Edit: The answer is a quieter clap. It is possible to clap with one hand. Not everyone can do it, but it is possible. It has a strange sound that I can't escribe as a quieter clap though...