• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Yes! It did work! I've bought another pair of headphones and so far it works quite good.
How do i say the verb overdue in a passive form in english? Is it used in this tense at all?

Overdue is not a verb - it is an adjective. So you can't put it into passive like that. (Tell me if you don't know the meaning, though I assume you do).

As a side not, you can't say "it works good" - the word good cannot be used as an adverb, though you will often hear it in colloquial speech. If you want to use good as an adverb, you must use "well" instead. So it would be: "It works well."

Hope I helped and that you don't mind me correcting the first sentence - I know you're trying to learn English, so I thought in this case it would be helpful. :)

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
The saying "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" leads one to believe that indeed a woodchuck cannot chuck wood, if it cannot chuck wood, then why is it called a woodchuck? :confused:

The term "woodchuck" came from the Native American word for groundhog, "wuchak". I guess to European settlers, that sounded like "woodchuck", so that's what they started calling it.

Overdue is not a verb - it is an adjective. So you can't put it into passive like that. (Tell me if you don't know the meaning, though I assume you do).

As a side not, you can't say "it works good" - the word good cannot be used as an adverb, though you will often hear it in colloquial speech. If you want to use good as an adverb, you must use "well" instead. So it would be: "It works well."

Hope I helped and that you don't mind me correcting the first sentence - I know you're trying to learn English, so I thought in this case it would be helpful. :)

EDIT: See my post that is two below this one.

Last edited:

Aurath8

To add to this, the past tense of "overdue" is "overdone", but like Roseheart said, "overdue" isn't a verb, it's an adjective, so you have to put a variation of the verb "to be" in front of it. For example:

"My homework IS overdue."

or

"I left dinner in the oven too long last night, and it WAS overdone."

Overdone is the past tense of overdo. As in to do something to excess or too much. Overdue is an unrelated adjective needed or expected for some time.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Overdone is the past tense of overdo. As in to do something to excess or too much. Overdue is an unrelated adjective needed or expected for some time.

You're right; this is a prime example of why I shouldn't write posts when I'm tired. "Overdue" is an adjective meaning that something is past its expected time of arrival. "Overdo" means to do something in excess of what is expected. The past tense of "overDO" is "overDONE". There is no past tense of "overdue" because it's an adjective, not a verb.

When you use the term "overdo", though, you usually have to have a conjugated version of the verb "to be" in front of it.

I can't believe I said that yesterday. Thanks for catching it.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
You're right; this is a prime example of why I shouldn't write posts when I'm tired. "Overdue" is an adjective meaning that something is past its expected time of arrival. "Overdo" means to do something in excess of what is expected. The past tense of "overDO" is "overDONE". There is no past tense of "overdue" because it's an adjective, not a verb.

When you use the term "overdo", though, you usually have to have a conjugated version of the verb "to be" in front of it.

I can't believe I said that yesterday. Thanks for catching it.

And then in that case, the passive would be: "It is overdone" in present or "it is being overdone". The reason I didn't notice the possible mix-up, was because here we pronounce "overdue" as "overdjoo", and whereas in (some parts of?) America it is a homophone to "overdo".

Last edited:

Peter Quill

star-lord
Does anybody know any good products for beard trimming and the like? I'm thinking of starting to grow one now, but have no idea where to start.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Okay, so I've been saving up for a 3DS XL, and I know in the end it's up to me, but if it were up to you, personally (whoever reads this), would you go for the Nintendo 2DS instead, which is about a £66 difference in total, since you don't need to buy a charger for it? What I'm kind of asking is, for those of you who do have a 3DS, how much do you think the 3D effect really makes a game, and if you could go back before having bought a 3DS XL with that knowledge, and a 2DS was released at the same time, would you buy that instead?

Last edited:

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
What is the big deal with te "thigh gap" ? Why do people obsess over it...I mean I thought that everybody had one...well I have a small one and I thought it was the case for everybody...

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
What is the big deal with te "thigh gap" ? Why do people obsess over it...I mean I thought that everybody had one...well I have a small one and I thought it was the case for everybody...

I think it's all part of the beauty myth. People who have a thigh gap are skinny, and therefore "pretty". So thigh gap=skinny=pretty. If you have a thigh gap, you're pretty.

Which is completely false, by the way. You don't have to have a thigh gap to be pretty.

SoulMuse

Shadow of nothing
I have always been wondering about this. What is the proper way to spell no one? Is it no-one, no one, and I have even seeen it as noone, before. so which is it?

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
I have always been wondering about this. What is the proper way to spell no one? Is it no-one, no one, and I have even seeen it as noone, before. so which is it?

According to Wiktionary, it's either no-one or no one, and noone is "non-standard" (so basically, don't use it). If in doubt, just use nobody instead.

EDIT:

I've got another question myself - basically I've had this mild pain in my shoulder for about two-three weeks now, and I don't know what it is. Just wondered if anybody had any ideas/advice about how to make it go away.

Last edited:

Lucario188

Aura Guardian
Does anyone know the most recently released Apple laptop that contains a disk drive? I know that the newest ones do not have them, but I'm having a hard time finding when exactly they were phased out.

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me

I don't mind at all. I'm even waiting for corrections. Thanks for paying attention:)

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
This question is posed to the Canadian users:

I plan to visit Canada soon, and I would like to know a bit about Canada. Are there any places that I should really avoid (for instance, areas with high crime rates)? About how cold/warm does it get there (I live in the South Eastern United States, so I'm not quite used to low temperatures)? Are there any attractions that you really recommend?

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, and I am aware that I could just look at travel sites about Canada. However, I would rather hear the answers to my questions from people who actually live there.

Spookz

Lumos
Does anyone know the most recently released Apple laptop that contains a disk drive? I know that the newest ones do not have them, but I'm having a hard time finding when exactly they were phased out.

They still sell them, they're just not advertised.. my old macbook pro died in May and I was able to purchase a brand new replacement with a disk drive.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
This is more of a question about the site itself, so I'm not sure if this is the right place, but why do posts get deleted? I'm pretty sure that only a few days ago I had 3000+ posts.