• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Questions Thread: ask things, get answers maybe

Forbidden Snowflake

take it out on me
I've just started using the Tinder app, and I have a question about it:
Is there anyway to change my profile pic there without changing the one on Facebook at first?

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
If you have passions with a clone of yourself, is it incest? Or masturbation?
If one considers the conscious awareness one's own existence inside a body and then refer to a being despite similar appearances ala clone as a consciousness separate to your own, then should it not be considered that making one's own clone is sex and not masturbation. For masturbation is the act sexual pleasuring oneself and since one considers a clone separate from one self, aware of it's own being and separate fro you, then having sex with a clone is not masturbation. As such sex with a clone, who's genetic material is completely identical to yours, is indeed incest.

Hey. There are sooo many pictures available for avatars. Is there any search engine on which one writes the name of a pokemon and then it shows all the pics of it which are available for using? It could really help out to get some direction on that index.

Sadly, no. I also wish there was one to quickly look up any avatars with a Milotic on it, but unfortunately, there isn't an option like that. :(

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Is it possible to download iBooks on an Apple device which is not compatible with ios7? Seems like all I can find is the most recent version.

MiloticTwins

The "Smack My ***** Up" Question

Does anyone know how many copies The Prodigy song "Smack My ***** Up" sold in the U.S.? Is it a commercial success, disappointment or failure in the U.S.? Is it considered the best song ever by the music journalism critics?

Scattar

Sableye Enchancer
Why are people interested in certain things? One of my best friends at school is interested in almost exactly what I am interested in, yet we have grown up so differently. Is it genetics or environmental or do they compliment each other? I know for a fact you cannot force someone to be interested in something, but they may be interested in a certain part of whatever it may be. For example I am only interested in Hitler and WW2, but nothing else I learn in history. Why?

AwesomeGrovyle

Local Cryptid
I don't know if someone's already asked this and if we still are posting questions, but why didn't Nintendo know the servers would crash around the Christmas therefore not letting Pokemon Bank come out on the 27th of December, but some different day? I mean Nintendo should've seriously seen this coming. I mean they are a popular company!

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I don't know if someone's already asked this and if we still are posting questions, but why didn't Nintendo know the servers would crash around the Christmas therefore not letting Pokemon Bank come out on the 27th of December, but some different day? I mean Nintendo should've seriously seen this coming. I mean they are a popular company!

I might be wrong about this, but I heard that they didn't fully factor in the sheer volume of people who would be getting X and Y for Christmas, and therefore underestimated how many people their servers would have to handle at one time.

AwesomeGrovyle

Local Cryptid
I might be wrong about this, but I heard that they didn't fully factor in the sheer volume of people who would be getting X and Y for Christmas, and therefore underestimated how many people their servers would have to handle at one time.

I know how it happened, but seriously I believe Mario and Pokemon are the 1st and 2nd most popular series and Nintendo sponsors/releases the games. They really should've seen it coming.

arized

#hsb

This sort of stuff is unavoidable. As a content server, you want to be able to handle an average capacity at all times with ease and some occasional peaks, but the burst traffic on release day is going to crash servers. This happens for pretty much every major release of information that must be served over the internet -- even concerts and festivals for their ticket sales.

VoltTacklingPika

Why are people interested in certain things? One of my best friends at school is interested in almost exactly what I am interested in, yet we have grown up so differently. Is it genetics or environmental or do they compliment each other? I know for a fact you cannot force someone to be interested in something, but they may be interested in a certain part of whatever it may be. For example I am only interested in Hitler and WW2, but nothing else I learn in history. Why?

As with anything related to psychology, there are going to be biological, social and cognitive explanations for this, all of which with pros and cons and none of which will give you a definitive answer either way. It'd be very difficult to give a general answer without going into a lot of theory.

For your interest in Hitler and WW2, only you can answer that, really. I know that's not helpful but no one here is in a position to give an answer. You may have family who were alive during that time and you want to know more so you can have a better understanding of the era they lived in. You may be sympathetic to those who suffered in the war and want to know just what they went through. You may have heard a lot about that period of time and simply want to know what the fuss was about.

It's too broad an area for someone like me to pinpoint the reason.

Scattar

Sableye Enchancer
As with anything related to psychology, there are going to be biological, social and cognitive explanations for this, all of which with pros and cons and none of which will give you a definitive answer either way. It'd be very difficult to give a general answer without going into a lot of theory.

For your interest in Hitler and WW2, only you can answer that, really. I know that's not helpful but no one here is in a position to give an answer. You may have family who were alive during that time and you want to know more so you can have a better understanding of the era they lived in. You may be sympathetic to those who suffered in the war and want to know just what they went through. You may have heard a lot about that period of time and simply want to know what the fuss was about.

It's too broad an area for someone like me to pinpoint the reason.
Ironically, I am interested in this question. I asked my mum (did Psychology for 3 years and is going to finish the course early next year) and she said the same explanations as you. My interest in Hitler and WW2 mainly comes from Hitlers' actions and the reasoning behind them. But all I really want to know is why?

Thanks for your answer :D

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
For what reason does the 3DS XL manual say you should charge the battery fully before playing it for the first time?

Firebrand

Indomitable
So I just got a new computer with Windows 8, and I'm in general getting used to it. Not crazy about the tiles and things showing up in the margins of the screen, but it's easy enough to ignore and doesn't handle too badly. The only issue I've got is every week or two my computer is forced to restart so it can install some new update or other. This happened a lot on my old laptop too, with a little popup coming up on the lower corner of the screen and allowing me to postpone it for four hour intervals. With windows 8, it tells me about a day in advance on my lock screen, but I'm not usually paying that much attention to it until I get a banner overlaying my screen telling me I've got 30 minutes before my computer restarts, with no way to postpone.

Is there any way for me to postpone these? Or better yet, shut them off entirely? To the best of my knowledge, they don't have a noticeable effect on any software, and only cause me to stop working for 15 or so minutes while the new updates to unknown programs install.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
So I just got a new computer with Windows 8, and I'm in general getting used to it. Not crazy about the tiles and things showing up in the margins of the screen, but it's easy enough to ignore and doesn't handle too badly. The only issue I've got is every week or two my computer is forced to restart so it can install some new update or other. This happened a lot on my old laptop too, with a little popup coming up on the lower corner of the screen and allowing me to postpone it for four hour intervals. With windows 8, it tells me about a day in advance on my lock screen, but I'm not usually paying that much attention to it until I get a banner overlaying my screen telling me I've got 30 minutes before my computer restarts, with no way to postpone.

Is there any way for me to postpone these? Or better yet, shut them off entirely? To the best of my knowledge, they don't have a noticeable effect on any software, and only cause me to stop working for 15 or so minutes while the new updates to unknown programs install.

I don't know how to turn it off in Windows 8, because I have Windows 7. I turned it off by going to the Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change Settings. I found a guide for how to do it in Windows 8 here.

I do highly recommend that you turn off Windows Update, not just because it is annoying, but because it can ruin your computer. Two months ago, my laptop started acting REALLY weird. It took longer to boot up, it would randomly freeze when I opened certain programs (most notably Chrome), and it just started running super slow. I ran several virus scans, a malware scan, and searched everything I could on what was wrong to no avail, and I'm really good about keeping my computer clean. I don't visit any sketchy websites or screw around with the BIOS settings. I had to take it to IT at my work and they ran keylogger scans, rootkit scans, bad sector scans, malware and virus scans, and found nothing. At this point it had started only booting into safe mode, and no computer store I took it to could figure out what was wrong with it. Eventually I found an IT person who asked me if I had Windows Update on, and I said yes, and he said that sometimes, in rare cases, Windows Update has been known to basically delete part of its own programming and cause all the problems I was having. And the only fix was to either restore my computer to factory settings or buy a new computer. Fortunately, I had made a restore disk when I got my laptop, otherwise I would have had to buy a new laptop because the computer was so dead that it wouldn't do anything. So I had to restore my computer to factory settings (which was a pain in the butt because I had to rearrange how the computer boots to even get it to read the disk, and it was VERY resistant to letting me do that, as well as not reading the disk half the time) and completely reinstall everything. I also might end up needing to buy Microsoft Office again. Fortunately I had everything backed up on an external drive and Dropbox, or I would have lost everything.

And that, kids, is why, if you have a PC, you should turn off Windows Automatic Update and always make restore disks for your computer.

Last edited: