• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Rainbow & The Pokémon Master (1236)

ShuckFam

I'm desperately trying to avoid spoilers until I come home but I got itchy hands on the subway and saw this thumbnail

R7WgkdB.png

Now I'm terrified...

Risrhayne

The concept of Pokémon Master is such a marketing ploy, freaking manufactured for open-ended storylines filled to the brim with endless content that requires little actual storytelling. Which might be why I feel so…empty about this ending because it’s not an ending. Ash just picks a direction to go in and we the audience aren’t invited to see where he goes anymore. Everyone laughed at the idea of Ash being Liko’s dad, but honestly, I was crossing my fingers for that because at least that would have meant Ash….got to live his life and there was some kind of conclusion for this 26 year journey. If not that, then maybe we could have seen Ash’s 11th birthday or his friends living their lives or something beyond “he walks onwards to become a Pokemon Master.” That’s not an ending to me, that’s saying that they don’t want to talk about Ash anymore, but don’t have the guts or decency to actually give him an ending. If fans are split between mourning the end of an era and expecting him to come back, that means the anime did a terrible job wrapping up this story. Open-ended storylines CAN end with the character growing up and time moving forward, these “Wanna be the Best” storylines are more than capable of doing that because there’s always someone better and your training doesn’t have to stop.

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
Okay... What do you want to talk about?

This ending is the logical ending but that does not mean it has an excuse.... This ending could have been after AG,DP,BW,XY,SM,JN the day of Chrsitmas, but I guess we had to make time untill the adventures of Pendant Girl.

I still don't know what a Pokemon Master is, I still don't know what's next after winning a championsip, and I have really clear that Ash Ketchum only cares about himself.

Why? Because the sole existence of an organization that steals Pokemon right next to his home is still alive baffles me, BAFFLES ME. And the fact he does not care Baffles me. He only cares about himself, that's the harsh truth.

The mere existance of Team Rocket is a failure for Ash Ketchum, who only wants to live his dream without any responsabilty.

Hey open endings like that are not happy exactly because now anything can happen... what if he falls ill, or something bad occurs, or Team Rocket succeeds and steals Pikachu? Hey it's your fault for leaving such a lazy ending.

What a lesson that is huh?

Ash Ketchum I will not miss you any second,Good ridance, for your fault people stopped watchin this anime. And so I would have done if it not was for Team Rocket.

Rest in Pieces.

I will talk about Team Rocket in other thread.

BlueDragonfangirl

The only good part was Tracey, after years of being done dirty they finally gave him some justice, mean while Ash ended without catching a single legendary Pokémon or defeating team Rocket’s boss after years of being chased by them.

Journey’s can suck it, I will forever hate that series and it’s pet Goh.

Bye Pokemon fandom, I was with you since the beginning but sadly Ash is leaving so am I, May this new series sink into the ocean.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
The mere existance of Team Rocket is a failure for Ash Ketchum, who only wants to live his dream without any responsabilty.

Hey open endings like that are not happy exactly because now anything can happen... what if he falls ill, or something bad occurs, or Team Rocket succeeds and steals Pikachu? Hey it's your fault for leaving such a lazy endending
Satoshi is not an Avenger, he's just a guy who ends up with situations and helps save the day. He's not a hero in the sense it's his goal to right all wrongs and destroy evil.

Cetra

Ash got 26 years, Liko won't, recency bias fanboys
The constant hatred for Pokémon is so sad.

santiagus

Satoshi is not an Avenger, he's just a guy who ends up with situations and helps save the day. He's not a hero in the sense it's his goal to right all wrongs and destroy evil.

Have you ever seen a series that have not been cancelled in the middle where the bad guy does not get his commeuppance?

Come on give me a list.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Have you ever seen a series that have not been cancelled in the middle where the bad guy does not get his commeuppance?

Come on give me a list.
TRIO organization - Never getting destroyed and status quo staying in effect due to series-spanning mandate. Same with PokeSpe and games reviving them all them time.
TRio - Shudo's pet characters from OS are not real villain, just antagonists to cause trouble like the Alpha Gang from Dinosaur King.

santiagus

TRIO organization - Never getting destroyed and status quo staying in effect due to series-spanning mandate. Same with PokeSpe and games reviving them all them time.
TRio - Shudo's pet characters from OS are not real villain, just antagonists to cause trouble like the Alpha Gang from Dinosaur King.

Yeah that's true, but Manga Team Rocket was destroyed several times.

And if someone says the following

Alpha Gang: Team Rocket from Wish, they got sent back to the future
Bowser: I know he cames back every game but he always got what he deserves in the ending
Eggman/Robotnik: Same
Ganon: Would you really want to be in Ganon boots?

pardusco

"The oppression of Poké Balls."
>I wanna be friends with every Pokemon in the world. I think that's what it means to be a Pokemon master!
Lolololololol imagine waiting for this

You can really tell they pulled this out of their ass last minute lol.

His hyper obsession on battling and winning leagues really plays little to no role in his so called dream. I get that battling is one if the way ash communicates, but still what’s the point of chasing for victory and saying it’s a step towards becoming a pokemon master when just randomly going around looking for pokemon would give him more progress towards his goal?

It’s an expected cheap answer to what a pokemon master is, but for me it just leaves a sour taste since it makes a good chunk of this 25 years feel pointless.

Well yes, but that’s not the issue. The issue is that winning a regional league, becoming a Champion, winning the PWC… it was all supposed to be ‘one step toward becoming a Pokémon Master’. The implication is that whatever a Pokémon Master is, it’s someone who is the strongest, and more still.

Instead, what we got basically amounts to saying that the real journey was the filler episodes, and the gyms/leagues/PWC were the real filler of his goal. They retroactively have little to do with his goal.
Does anyone else remember how people would say stuff like "this is just another step to becoming a Pokemon Master" every time Ash did something? Like, people would say that beating Leon was a step to becoming a Pokemon Master, but could never tell you how. Surprise surprise, now battling has absolutely nothing to do with this goal lmao. Anyways, it was obvious that "Pokemon Master" was never a real thing, and was only a way to pretend as if Ash had a reason for his never-ending journey.

I'm just glad he's gone.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Aweh I can't believe today actually came. I am content. I think this was a perfect episode to end Ash's journey with us. We got to see how he lives in a splice of life way, but that he prefers the journeys and befriending pokemon, things which have been themes along the way. A lot of great screenshot opportunities as well.

If Ash doesn't show up in horizons, or one of the next movies, I will be disappointed but I will understand that they want him to stay in retirement. I'll miss him and Pikachu though. Thank goodness for Captain Pikachu in Horizons, but I'll miss Ash the most, followed by good ol TRio. TRio is gonna be a term that I will miss using.

I've been watching since it came out in Canada in 1998, being 5 years old. I'm curious how the opinions on here correlate to age.

Does anyone else remember how people would say stuff like "this is just another step to becoming a Pokemon Master" every time Ash did something? Like, people would say that beating Leon was a step to becoming a Pokemon Master, but could never tell you how. Surprise surprise, now battling has absolutely nothing to do with this goal lmao. Anyways, it was obvious that "Pokemon Master" was never a real thing, and was only a way to pretend as if Ash had a reason for his never-ending journey.

I'm just glad he's gone.
Ash also has stated many times that by battling, you get more of an intimate relationship with pokemon and other trainers, so battling absolutely has to do with understanding and befriending all pokemon. Also contests, and all other kinds of pokemon related activities are included in that.

Last edited: