• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Rainden Saga! [G]

shac

Okay, so this is just another new region with fakemon stories. If you are tired of these already, feel free to leave. Otherwise, do give it a shot and criticize as you will. Any response is appreciated.

Here are the links to the other chapters:

Chapter-2
Chapter-3
Chapter-4
Chapter-5
Chapter-6
Chapter-7

THE RAINDEN SAGA

Chapter:1

I woke up early this morning. The light in our room was dimmed, as it was usually kept during the night. The soft leather beneath us felt cold, but not uncomfortable. A gentle whizzing sound was issuing from either of the many complex looking instruments around the room – from which I did not know. The sound was not disturbing, rather soothing in a way. This was the check up-room of the Pokémon laboratory. Curtains were drawn on the large windows that opened to the front garden. The large operation table on which we were lying, was in the middle of the room. A set of couches strewed the wall opposite the windows. The wall above it was covered in see-through glass. The door in the corner stood ajar. The lights in the corridor were still out, that much I could make out from where I was lying.

The laboratory was huge. Even the backyard garden comprises of twice the amount of open land of what we had in our breeder’s home. Then in the south east corner there was the rocky terrain, and beside that the sandy arena, and in the northernmost corner there was a huge lake where the water Pokémon of the lab dwell. Even a small part of the Evergreen forest was inside the lab compound. But the tall, lanky Professor, who took us in, would never allow us near that part. “Wait till you start the big journey,” he would say whenever any of us wondered aloud what was in there.

The Professor was a good man, of that I am sure. He was a jolly fellow, who went by the name of Professor Fir. He had been taking really good care of us– me, Torchant and Platypi, since the very first day he picked us up from the breeder’s home. For now we are ‘his’ Pokémon, as they put it. Torchant simply adores the professor. For the first few weeks in here she would not stop talking about how great the professor was. She was like “the professor’s this, the professor’s that” all the while. Platypi just could not stand that. He was very distant with the professor at the beginning. But after a while he also joined the fan club. It took a while for me too to get used to the new environment, and I guess I was a bit judgmental by nature. It took time for me to like someone. But the professor is such a nice fellow; it did not take much to like him.

Now that almost a month has passed since we first arrived here, I think I have got pretty attached to our captor. Not only him, but to all of what we have been living into. The morning strolls, the lazing hours in the noon, the afternoon exercise, everything has been so endearing. I know I would miss it once I get out of here.

Deep in these thoughts, I turned around. The room looked bigger and somewhat unfamiliar than usual in this early hour. Though we have been living here almost a month now, it never really became a home to us. We always knew that we were meant to be ‘out there’, not ‘in here’ – the Professor has always reminded us of that. We were not just three Pokémon; we were the ‘starters’. That might mean something important to the human, but to us, it was just a tag we were carrying around. It had its benefits though. The nurse lady, whom we have been visiting for regular check-ups, was extra nice to us, and this assistant guy has been giving us some really great munches. But all those would apparently change today.

<Today, the big, big day – the day we all have been waiting for – we get ourselves our human trainers> I thought to myself.

Honestly though, I did not know how to feel about that. I guess nobody really knows until they get on with it. But that did not stop us getting excited over it. We had been talking to all the big guys in the lab, older Pokémon that is, about how it feels to be on the road, to travel with a human trainer. All of them had given their personal opinions on the matter, and none so far has been a negative one. The elder Noctowl, who has been in training for twenty long years, and had journeyed with his fellow trainer on and off for quite a long time, commented that it is different for everyone; that we, all Pokémon, will eventually learn to get attuned with our human partner if things work out between the both sides. I did not fully understand what it meant though – I was after all only two months old.

But I think, I have seen, or felt – to be exact, of that side of the matter. After a while with the professor, I slowly started to understand him – what he likes and what he does not, and more importantly why his likings were as such. The most interesting part was the gradual changes in me. I automatically started to act as the professor, and that was not just me but all three of us. Probably, that was what the wise lady Noctowl meant about ‘getting attuned’.

I yawned, and looked around. Torchant was lying on my right, snoozing slowly and deeply. Her bright ruby-red body was glowing softly; her undeveloped wings rose and fell as she breathed in and out rhythmically. As I watched her, she twitched a bit, her eyelids, which covered her big dark eyes, were stirring. Was she dreaming? Torchant has been a good friend. She was cheerful, polite, and unlike Platypi, was cool headed. I could always relay my thoughts to her. She was very patient whenever I was worrying out loud. Platypi, on the other hand, would take a mickey out of me whenever I would get emotional. ‘Old boys don’t cry’ was what he believed in. Silly him! I guess Torchant, among the three of us, was the most excited about going on a journey with a human. Platypi, who was snoring pretty loudly from a couch across the room at this moment, was indifferent to it. As for me, I thought I would wait till I find out who gets to train me to make any judgment.

The sun had risen unnoticed by us all. I was so deep in thoughts that I did not even notice the Professor walked in right in front of me. He must have slept in last night. He sometimes did that when he has too much work. The white lab-coat that he was wearing last night was still on him – a bit crumpled, his hair messy, and his glasses askew. Tall, and lanky, the professor always looked lost as to what to do with his hands whenever he stood still. Rubbing his eyes vigorously, he walked over the windows, drew out the curtains and threw open the panes. A cool morning breeze washed over us.

“Morning!” said the professor, straitening his glasses.

<Good morning, professor!> I greeted back. I don’t know why, but seeing the professor first time everyday felt contenting. There was something assuring about it.

<Morning! Morning!> chirped Torchant beside me. I did not notice when she woke up. Sleep was still lingering in her starry eyes. I smiled at her, and she smiled back.

<You woke up before me today> she said in a soft voice.

<Yeah, I did. Were you dreaming? I was watching you – your eyes were twitching.>

<Yes, I was. That same old dream, you know.>

<The one with the flowery meadow?> I asked.

<Hmm..hmm!>

Torchant has been dreaming about going to the journey ever since the professor explained it all to us. At first I thought she would not like it, leaving the professor behind and all. But she proved me wrong. The idea completely swept her off her spindly feet. She has been dreaming about running along a flowery meadow with this imaginary girl trainer almost every night afterwards. She got the idea from a Bellosom apparently.

“Big day, huh!” said the professor, as he dropped himself on the couch next to where Platypi was still sleeping. He stroked his head fondly.
“Wake up, Platypi,” he called.

And after a nudge or two, Platypi woke up with a start.

<What the….morning already?....Are they here?.......Where am I?> he looked foolishly around.

All three of us were laughing. Platypi could be so funny sometimes.

“Calm down, you,” said the professor. “It’s only eight. I told them to come at ten. That’s still two more hours for you to freshen yourselves up.”

<Why did you wake me up so early then?> complained Platypi. He nudged his yellow beak on his webbed front paws and resumed the sleeping stance.

The professor stood up with an effort, stretched his arms, and yawned broadly. “As for me, I need to go and change. Nurse Joy said she might turn up for the big event, you know.” He winked at us and left smiling.

We cheered. The professor nurtured a soft spot for the Nurse Joy. We have seen him go all groggy whenever the pretty nurse was around.

<The professor and the Nurse, they make an adorable couple, don’t they?> sighed torchant.

Platypi acted as if to vomit. I laughed.

At nine o’clock by the grandfather clock in the hallway, the morning bell rang throughout the lab. It’s a routine alarm that means the morning activities are to be started soon. All the Pokemon gather around the feeding bowls, and the professor, along with his many assistants, starts serving breakfast. This was the usual routine. We had been dining in the front yard with some other fellow Pokemon since the day we arrived here. Today, however, we were served in the check-up room. An assistant lady has given us a bath a while ago, and we felt much more awake because of that.

The morning air always made me hungry. So, I dug in as soon as my bowl was served. Torchant was nibbling with his blocks. She looked quite tensed. Platypi was eating with a grumpy expression on his face.

<Everything alright Platy?> I asked.

<Fine> he said moodily. Maybe he too was nervous, more so than he was letting on.

We finished our food in silence. Torchant finished last. After that we went through a check-up session.

“You guys want to go out and play for a while? It’s still half an hour to ten,” said the professor.

<No> I said. I did not feel like going out. All the other Pokemon would surely be cramming up to ask how we were feeling. I did not feel like to be in the spotlight at this moment. Torchant decided to stay put too, but Platypi slid out of the table, and slowly walked out of the room.

Yet another silent half an hour later, through which I have worried myself silly for no reason at all, the clock struck ten. Almost at the same time the front door-bell chimed. Torchant jumped beside me.

<Here they come now> she said slowly. I nodded.

<What happens if none of them likes me?> said Torchant, sounding almost fearful.

I have had the same worry at times throughout the last week. I guess it would not matter anyway. The professor’s lab is as good a home as any. I would not mind if I would have to remain here for the rest of my life, and I told Torchant so.

<But let’s hope for the best, shall we?> I said expectantly. Torchant smiled.

<You are a good friend Petalip. Whatever happens we will remain friends, okay?> said Torchant.

<You bet> I assured her.

I walked in the lab with my heart thumping like crazy. There’s just that much excitement my fifteen year old mind can handle. It had been almost a year since I decided to be a Pokémon trainer, and almost every night ever since I had been dreaming of a crowded stadium, a dusty fighting arena, and an opponent across it. But now that I was standing on the verge of it, I felt like I would not be able to handle the fervor. You would think a whole year would tune it down a level.

As I walked past the well lit hallway with my two companions – the other two wanna-be-trainers, I tried to see myself in them. In front of me walked a girl. She was talking to the lab-assistant who was leading the way. I knew she was called Jenna Davis. Her father, Mr. Juann Davis, was a renowned artist. Her mother, on the other hand, had been a pokemon coordinator, and a very good one at that, until she left the career for some family problem of which no one knew anything exactly. It was big in the local newspaper a few years back.

I never really had a chance to talk with Jenna before, ever. She was a pretty girl, I would give her that much. Her hair was a dark bronze and fell to her waist. She had an almond shaped face with bright pearl blue eyes. She was wearing a trendy multicolored long skirt, a white top and some light jewelry, giving her a very polished, posh look. The only thing I know about her is that she has a very charming smile, which she has given me one at Fir’s door a while back.

But I knew of her kind. They live in huge mansions, they drive rich cars, and they did not usually mix with the average class like us. I did not know if Jenna was a snobbish, wealthy, daddy’s girl type cry baby or not, but for now I would settle on an image just like that. 'I am nothing like her,' I thought.
Beside me walked a good looking boy with messy blond hair, a roundish face and sharp, brown eyes. He was smiling for some reason. As I looked at him, he returned my gaze still smiling. I smiled back. This kid seems okay. He was sporting a jeans jacket over a white t-shirt. His baggy jeans had many pockets. I could not help but notice that he looked pretty cool overall. I might be somewhat like him, I thought.

“Hi, I am Shaun Rayman,” I introduced myself, offering him my hand.

“Roger Hale,” he shook my hand.

Hale….Hale….Why did that name sound familiar? And then it dawned on me. ‘Hale’ from the ‘Hale Corporations’.

“You are not by any chance related to the Hales of Hale Corp., are you?” I asked.

“Yeah, I am. William Hale, the founder, is my father.”

Well, of course he was. Who did not know about William Hale? But more importantly….

“But then Gordon Hale is…” I stammered.

He picked on, “My uncle, yes.” He said that so simply.

I whistled softly, utterly impressed. Gordon Hale, the famous Gordon Hale, the enchanting, mighty, maestro of the sky-Gordon Hale. He was the very famous gym leader of Clouden city. But even more impressive was the fact that he literally ruled the sky. His acrobats with a hang-glider were legendary. He was an icon of sky sports. There was none to rival his talents in that area. One among the many reasons I wanted to be a trainer in the first place, is to meet with, fight against and earn a badge from Gordon Hale.

“That’s cool, really!” I gave him that. His smile broadened.

“Do you see much of him though?” I asked.

“Uncle Gordon you mean?” he said questioningly. I nodded.

“Yeah,” he laughed, “We live in the same house you know.”

The Hale Mansion he means, I said to myself. So I ended up being with two of the richest kids in the country. Typical! If I had known of this beforehand, I might have decided on waiting for one more year before getting on with the trainer journey. What was the difference between fourteen and fifteen; nothing really.

We have been walking for quite sometime now. The lab was simply too big. The building did not seem so immense from outside. As we walked through the hallway, we got glimpses of different rooms. People in white lab coats were working with very complex looking machines on who knows what. They eyed us with interest as we moved onward. Jenna was still absorbed in conversation with the assistant guy. Her braided hair danced at her wake. I sped up a bit in order to hear if they were talking about anything interesting. But then they halted suddenly, and I almost crashed onto Jenna. Roger caught me by my hand, and I was saved from the embarrassment.

“Thanks,” I muttered.

“No problem,” he whispered back.

I am starting to like this guy. Maybe we will become good buddies; maybe he will travel with me. That would be cool.

We were standing in a wide veranda. The assistant guy left us here a few minutes back to go and look for Professor Fir. The whole front garden was visible from here. All three of us stood there with our backs to the railing facing a room with its door slightly open. There was a huge glass panel almost all over the wall in front of us. Our reflections were clear as crystal on it. In the middle stood Roger, his arms crossed over his chest. Jenna stood on his right, giving us furtive glances every now and then. I was examining all three of us in our reflections.

Jenna talked first.

“Umm, I have not introduced myself,” she said politely, “I am Jenna Davis.”
“Roger Hale,” delivered Hale, and shook her hand. I followed suit giving her my name.

“Have you two decided on what Pokémon you want to get?” Jenna asked.
Roger nodded a yes. I shook my head. “No,” I said.

“Well, I would love to get a Torchant,” said Jenna, and looked at Roger to verify if her choice had twinned with his.

Roger smiled, “Not a Torchant, no.” He did not really talk much.

Jenna looked kinda relieved. “As I was saying,” she went on, “I love Torchant, but Shaun, if you want to have one I am ready to swap.”

I was a bit put off by this show of generosity. I shrugged. At that moment Professor Fir came striding in.

“Hullo kids,” he greeted us in a booming voice.

I had seen Professor Fir before in television and magazines, but I have never met him in person before this. He was unusually tall, almost six feet seven or eight inches by the look of him, and very slim. He had graying hair which seems to be receding, with much of his forehead already exposed. He wore horn-rimmed glasses of thick lenses, which effectively blocked his eyes from view. Overall he had a very kind looking face, which even to a degree seemed foolish. But Professor Fir was one of the leading scientists of the era; his knowledge in Pokémon genealogy was unparalleled. He had very recently discovered the mystery of branched evolution. A very potential topic which, as ‘The Pokémon Herald’ says, might lead to a completely new set of Pokémon.

“Hello Professor,” we chimed back in unison.

“Professor Frederick Fir, that’s me,” he said smiling, “and you two must be Mr. Rayman, and Miss Davis.” He shook hands with both of us.

“And I already know Roger!” the professor said. “How’s your father doing?”
“He is alright professor, thanks for asking,” said Roger.

When we looked at them questioningly, Professor Fir explained, “I had the opportunity to work with Roger’s father, Mr. William Hale, last year. Great man, great man!”

“William Hale is your father?” It was Jenna this time. Roger nodded.

“But that means you are the nephew of…” she gasped. It was all over again.
“Now that we have been introduced and all, shall we proceed to our business?” asked Professor Fir.

“What business?” Jenna asked stupidly. She was still eying Roger like she could not really believe her eyes.

“Your Pokémon, I mean,” said Professor Fir patiently.

“Oh! Yes, yes,” said Jenna getting red in the face.

“Well then, the three starter Pokémon are in this room,” he beckoned towards the glass-wall. “They have already seen you, and now all that remains is for you to go and choose the one you like. But before you go, I would like to tell you about the three Pokémon we have here today.”

Professor Fir paused. All three of us were giving him undivided attention.

“About the three species, you mean?” Jenna asked.

“Not about their species, No. You will get that information from the Pokédex that you will receive today. I mean to explain the nature of these three Pokémon. I picked the trio one month ago from a breeder farm in Limestone town. I have been observing them ever since. I have studied their general behavior, their response to critical situations and as such for the past couple of weeks. I relay this to you so that it might help you to choose wisely.”
The professor has turned very businesslike. Even his facial expression has changed. He now looked anything but foolish.

“First we have the fire sting Pokémon, Torchant. The one I have here is very friendly. Easy going and curious. The other two of the trio had been to some arguments at times, but the Torchant – not once. On the contrary, I have seen her to run between the two trying to break up their fight.”

“The bud Pokémon, Petalip, on the other hand seems to be a proud Pokémon. The one I got here is a male one. You can tell since they have longer crest feathers, you know. Petalip, I would say, is quite judgmental. He has an own way of doing things, and he does not really like others to interfere. But I have also seen him to get pretty emotional at times. This might mean that he is not so secured inside.”

“And last but not the least I have a Platypi to give away today. Oh, platypi has been a laugh. He is strong, platypi is. With a bit of training, he will be an excellent fighter, of that I am sure. He wants to learn, and likes to experiment. I think he is the only one who has got on with training himself and has acquired the first elemental attack.”

Professor Fir stopped, and surveyed us from his abnormal height. “Now that you know what I am offering, let’s go see them, shall we?” With that, he led us into that room. Jenna entered first, and then Roger and I followed at last. The room had huge windows on the other wall. Copious amount of sunlight was flooding the room. In the middle stood one of those examination tables, and on that stood three pokemon in a row – the fire stinger: Torchant, the budding pecker: Petalip, and the little fin pokemon: Platypi. All marvelous Pokémon, eying us expectantly. The task that remained was to choose one. The one which would be the very first, with which to create that special bond, which was supposed to be the most important of them all. The task remained to choose one.

There you go, the very first chapter. Do leave a comment. Thank you.

Last edited:

lugia*master

Cheese XD
It was okay. Personally, I wasn't very interested, sorry, but you appear to use ' <> ' as speech marks, when you should use ' "" ' instead. I probably wont be reading along, I'm jsut not that inot these types of stories, but don't be put down, that's just me. Somebody else'll come along and review, someone who likes stories like this.

Llama_Guy

Awesomely awesome
It was okay. Personally, I wasn't very interested, sorry, but you appear to use ' <> ' as speech marks, when you should use ' "" ' instead
lugia*master, did you even try to read it? The <> were used for only Pokémon speech. Which is quite common and nothing wrong to do. shac used "" when appropriate.

Okay story, but a few picks to work with.

Your grammar and vocab is excellent, but there was a few comma errors - I'll list them; bolding the unneeded comma (and underlining missing commas).

The large operation table, on which we were lying, was in the middle of the room.
It took a while for me too, to get used to the new environment, and I guess I am a bit judgmental by nature. It takes time for me to like someone. But the professor is such a nice fellow; it does not take much to like him.
“Big day, huh!” said the professor, as he dropped himself on the couch next to where Platypi was still sleeping. He stroked his head fondly. “Wake up, Platypi,” he called.

There are a few other, small, nitpicky errors. Get yourself a beta to look at them, me recommends. Or proofread an extra time or two.

Now for technique and such.

Something about your descriptive style didn't quite sit with me. I guess, it was the fact that it was sentence past sentence of description, with little flow. You describe one thing. Then another. Then the next thing. Rather, describe one thing, then another and finally the next thing. Then you move on; describe this, then that.

The difference is, all those periods make the flow distorted, while adding commas and merging sentences makes the flow better. In describing scenes, do not be afraid to make a few long sentences, as long as you merge them properly, with commas and a fitting conjunctive.

Furthermore, you could have described the Fakemon better. Sure, it's from first-person, but surely we could have been given more insight than 'ruby red' and 'undeveloped wings' at the start (sounded like a differently-colored Torchic to me - the name even resembled it).

Next thing I noticed was that you skip a bit back and forth from past to present tense - and there's no evident change in time. I assume you're writing in the past tense? If so, here's a few of the wrong parts:

Now that almost a month has passed since we first arrived here, I think I have got pretty attached to our captor. Not only him, but to all of what we have been living into. The morning strolls, the lazing hours in the noon, the afternoon exercise, everything has been so endearing. I know I will miss it once I get out of here.

The verbs should have their tense properly changed here.

The Professor is a good man, of that I am sure. He is a jolly fellow, who goes by the name of Professor Fir. He has been taking really good care of us– me, Torchant and Platypi, since the very first day he picked us up from the breeder’s home. For now we are ‘his’ Pokémon, as they put it. Torchant simply adores the professor. For the first few weeks in here she would not stop talking about how great the professor was. She was like “the professor’s this, the professor’s that” all the while. Platypi just could not stand that. He was very distant with the professor at the beginning. But after a while he also joined the fan club. It took a while for me too, to get used to the new environment, and I guess I am a bit judgmental by nature. It takes time for me to like someone. But the professor is such a nice fellow; it does not take much to like him.

I'm not sure about everything in this. The way of describing the professor (he is this and that) can be present even though the story is in pat - but that would indicate that the actual story is in the now and that the Pokémon in question is merely looking back on events.

Deep in these thoughts, I turned around. The room looked bigger and somewhat unfamiliar than usual in this early hour. Though we have been living here almost a month now, it never really became a home to us. We always knew that we were meant to be ‘out there’, not ‘in here’ – the Professor has always reminded us of that. We were not just three Pokémon; we were the ‘starters’. That might mean something important to the human, but to us, it was just a tag we were carrying around. It had its benefits though. The nurse lady, whom we have been visiting for regular check-ups, was extra nice to us, and this assistant guy has been giving us some really great munches. But all those would apparently change today. Today, the big, big day – the day we all have been waiting for – we get ourselves our human trainers.

There were a mix of corrects and errors here - bolded the errors. 'Today' isn't applicable when using past tense in writing, rather use 'that day' or something akin to that.

I won't quote anymore now. And if its supposed to be in present tense, then you've still got things to look at =P I noted a higher frequency of this kind of error in the verbs 'to have' and 'to be' - look at them extra carefully.

Eventually, get yourself a beta to look at that error from now on. I don't feel particularly compelled to point out every single one of them - as there were quite a few.

Dialog and speech. You have a few things to work on here. Firstly,

“Big day, huh!” said the professor, as he dropped himself on the couch next to where Platypi was still sleeping. He stroked his head fondly.

“Wake up Platypi,” he called.

And after a nudge or two, Platypi woke up with a start.

<What the….morning already?....Are they here?.......Where am I?> he looked foolishly around.

You can group some of the paragraphs. As long as it's the same speaker, you don't have to make a new paragraph, and the same goes for when it transits from someone's actions to their speech. Thus, it could be:

“Big day, huh!” said the professor, as he dropped himself on the couch next to where Platypi was still sleeping. He stroked his head fondly. “Wake up Platypi,” he called.

And after a nudge or two, Platypi woke up with a start. <What the….morning already?....Are they here?.......Where am I?> he looked foolishly around.

Continuing with your dialog, while okay, it lacked emotion. "said he", "answered I" and so on is mostly all we get, in addition to some (inter)actions - which by the way are very good to have; using them correctly can portray many traits of a character or Pokémon. Back on the red, use adjectives and adverbs to your advantage here. How do they say the things? What's their voice like? Shrilling or gruff? Mellow or cracked? And do they sneer? Gibber? Mumble? and so on; there's a lot of things to use and explore here, to a much higher extent than you do.

<Here they come now> she said slowly. I nodded.

<What happens if none of them likes me?> said Torchant, sounding almost fearful.

Also, this. Since it's the same speaker, you should group the paragraphs as previously mentioned. Also, the second line of dialog need not 'said' after it - that seems awkward since Torchant continues the talking. Thus, 'continued Torchant' or something would be ideal.

Characterization was done well, actually. Though, the kids seemed a bit too mature and level-headed for their age, and your main character uses some big words at times ('copious'? 'furtive'? Not the words I'd expect a ten-year old to blather out just like that).

If they weren't ten-year-olds, rather fifteen or around that, I'd believe in them as characters.

Also, even though this was a standard start to what seems like a standard Trainer fic, you did well, and show that a well-written cliché can be interesting. But hey, it's just starting out, too, so what do I know? Suddenly you throw a fit of flair at the readers.

Summarily, this was good, better than a lot of what I see on here. There's still things to work on though. Keep them in mind.

shac

It was okay. Personally, I wasn't very interested, sorry, but you appear to use ' <> ' as speech marks, when you should use ' "" ' instead. I probably wont be reading along, I'm jsut not that inot these types of stories, but don't be put down, that's just me. Somebody else'll come along and review, someone who likes stories like this.

I understand what you mean here. I have my types too, and I really do not have much patience if it is not something that I like to read.

@Llama_Guy, Thank you very much for the detailed review.

Sorry, but I did not understand what you meant by 'beta' to look at my work. Is that a software or something?

I agree that the descriptive style was a bit weird. When I read it after finishing it, it felt a bit disorganized to me too. Hopefully, I'll recover from this in the later chapters.

About the use of tense, I am a bit confused really. How do you go with it if you mean your characters are talking from the end of the day.Like I am sitting tonight and talking about what happened earlier today - I tried to do that. Guess, I messed up in a few places.

If they weren't ten-year-olds, rather fifteen or around that, I'd believe in them as characters.

Hmm.....good point. You know what I'll do - I'll go ahead and make them grow up a bit.

Thanks again for the nice review.

lugia*master

Cheese XD
A beta reader, is someone who has very good knowledge of grammar and structure of a story. You send your chapter or whatever to a beta reader, and they proofread it, say what's good, what's bad, point out mistakes and give their views.

Llama_Guy

Awesomely awesome
I see your point about the tense. That "I did this today, and now I am sitting here, talking about it". That seems reasonable, only, the next they you jump back to the past tense again, even though we were already at the present the evening before. I'll set up a made-up timeline to explain:

Monday morning - you use past tense, because you're looking back on events that happened earlier. The present is in fact:
Monday evening - this is the present right now I am here and talking about you.
Tuesday morning - Yes, tomorrow I did that.

If the Monday evening was in the present, then it's completely illogical for the following Tuesday morning to be the in past.

Yeah, that was probably confusing >_>' Point is, stick to either one tense, not both. Changing tenses isn't something you should delve into unless it is very relevant to the plot or the way in which the story is laid out (which, as far as I noticed, it is not).

I'm not really good at explaining this, sorry >.<

Last edited:

shac

CHAPTER-2

I inhaled slowly and deeply, trying to steady myself. Torchant, beside me, was visibly trembling-whether from tension or excitement, I did not know. I looked at her, and smiled encouragingly. She smiled back. Soon, very soon they will appear.

Platypi approached quietly from behind us. He was looking grim as ever. I did not understand – was he not happy about being sorted out? He slouched on his four webbed limbs, and slumped at a corner on the table. I gave him a smile, which he did not return.

<Honestly, Platypi, this is supposed to be exciting, you know!> I said, getting raged at his lack of enthusiasm.

<Mind your own business, will you?> he retorted, turning away from me.

<I do not understand what gets to you sometimes. One moment you are this cheerful brat, next you are grumpy as ever. Really, Platypi, if anything is bothering you, just let it out. We are supposed to be your friend, you know.> I pressed on. Torchant was eying Platypi with polite interest. She beckoned as if to say something, but held back.

Platypi remained silent for a while, looking intently at the screen of a complex looking machine that stood in the corner. I could not see his face, so did not know if it read any emotion at all. Then he turned at us, simply looked at us for a moment, and then when he spoke, his voice sounded rather cracked-
<I am excited you know. It’s just that…>

But, what it was we never knew, because Torchant exclaimed at that precise moment, <Oh my, are they them, the trainers?>

Outside this room, in the open veranda, a lab assistant in white lab-coat walked in. We knew this guy by his face, had seen him quite a few times around this place. Following him, approached three other person – three teenagers, hardy fourteen or fifteen by the looks of them – a girl and two boys. The girl was talking to the assistant guy, while the two boys walked behind them in silence. Then one of the boys tried to reach the girl, raising his hand towards her, but the other boy stopped him. The latter caught the former by his hand, and pulled him away from the girl. Why did he stop him? Did he not want the other boy to talk to the girl? Did this boy have any special feeling for the girl, and was being possessive when the other kid tried to talk to her?

It seemed that way, because when after a while the lab assistant left them in the veranda, the boy who had tried to stop the other from talking to the girl, stood in between them. The rejected kid looked rather grumpy about it.
They were standing with their faces towards us, so we could see them very clearly through the glass. I knew they could not see us though – the glass was a one way see-through. I started to examine the three kids, as I always do with new characters, and these three are no ordinary character, seeing one of them will be my trainer, meaning that I might have to spend the rest of my life with the one. At my either side Torchant and Platypi were literally drinking in the new appearances.

In the middle stood the smart looking kid, who I have a feeling has something special for the girl standing at his right. He had his arms crossed on his chest, and was gazing fixedly at his shoes, apparently unaware that the girl was trying to catch his eyes. He did not seem too friendly to me. He was definitely a bit grouchy, the way he was acting towards the other two.
The boy standing at the far left was by all means average looking. He neither had the gorgeous bright blonde hair of his peer, the grouchy kid, nor, the rich posture the girl was wearing. His hair was a brownish black and rather curly. Two dull black eyes set above his freckly cheeks were fixed upon, if I did not know that he could not see through the glass, me. He wore a white sweatshirt under a hooded, grey flat-jacket. He had his hands in his jeans pockets. I liked this stance. It gave a feeling that the kid was open and welcoming.

Not until I shifted my attention to the girl, did I notice that Torchant was whispering something.

<That’s the girl, that’s the girl!> she was muttering, sounding breathless in exhilaration.

<What girl?> I asked, and then I realized, <Oh! That girl! The one in your…>

<…dreams, yes!> Torchant finished, nonplused. Emotions were pouring through her glittering eyes.

I started to laugh. Typical Torchant! <So you are saying you have been dreaming about a girl of approximately 5 feet 4, with blue eyes, and long, dark hair…>

<…And a clown outfit, by the looks of it> added Platypi. He has apparently got over his gloomy demeanor.

Torchant looked affronted. <That is not a clown outfit, and it is nowhere near funny> she said indignantly. <It’s a beeeeautiful dress!> she sighed. We laughed.

<But that really can’t be the girl in your dreams, Torchant> I reasoned, <you are seeing this girl for the first time, are not you?>

Torchant fidgeted, like she did not quite know what to say in answer. I let it drop.

<She is very beautiful though> Torchant said after a while.

<She looks fairly pretty, yeah> I agreed, being honest. <And you seem to be totally into her already, but that actually puts you into a dilemma, does not it Torchant?>

Both of them looked at me questioningly.

<Well, what if she does not like puny bugs?> I demanded jokingly.

<I am not puny,> Torchant was disgruntled, <and I am not just a bug> she added matter-of-factly.

<Well, you are!> said Platypi.

<I am not just a bug. I am a fire bug, am I not? That’s different than being ‘just a bug’> she retorted.

We laughed. It has been a running gag for a while now. Torchant was polite and all, but she did not take it kindly being called a bug. Platypi won’t let it go that easy, reminding her of her ancestry whenever he could bring out the matter. We have had quite a few laughs out of it. Poor Torchant!

Professor Fir walked into the veranda at this moment. He greeted them buoyantly, the way he was. Platypi slid out of the table, and walked towards the door. He stopped at the pane, and beckoned towards us to join him. I realized that he wanted to hear what the professor would say to the kids. I jumped out of the table to join him. Torchant followed me.

<Eavesdropping is bad!> Torchant whispered, but she pressed her head towards the slight gap of the door all the same.

The professor had decided to give them a pep-talk before the big event, and the topic seemed to be us-well, no surprise there.

<Seems like you are up first, puny bug!> said Platypi. Torchant shushed. Indeed the professor was talking about Torchant. As I listened to his lecture, I was astonished at how well he had observed us. Once he was done with Torchant, Platypi resumed his joking.

<Easy going and curious, huh?> he started, <you know what that translates into – PUNY! Ha! Ha! Ha!>

Torchant looked hurt this time. I went aboard to mend some damage. <Don’t listen to him Torchant. You are a good Pokémon, as the professor rightly says> I assured her. She blushed.

<You are up next> informed Platypi, as he moved a bit closer to the door. And so I was. According to the professor, I was proud and judgmental – oh! I guess I am like that, a bit. And also insecure deep down?

<I am not!> I protested. They looked at me, both of them.

<You ARE a bit dorky> Platypi sighed matter-of-factly, not really joking.
Professor took on Platypi at last. Platypi looked serious. I think he was waiting for this - to know what the professor felt about him. At that moment, I felt Platypi was the one who was insecure, not me. Maybe that was why he had been acting strange lately.

Yet the professor was giving very high remarks about Platypi.

“…he is the only one who has got on with training himself and has acquired the first elemental attack,” the professor said. That was news to me, and by the wondered expression in Torchant’s face, she did not know either.

<When did you?> I asked.

<I while ago> he replied.

<Wow!> Torchant was simply fascinated.

<Why did you keep that quite?> I asked indignantly. He shrugged.

And here I thought I knew them well. Who knew what else they had been keeping quite. I knew I had been an open book to them. I did not like feeling that way, confiding everything to them, and not being treated the same way in return. But, I thought there was nothing to be done about that then, it had been too late for that. If they wanted privacy, I guess they deserved that – so what if we had all been like siblings, coming from the same breeder’s home, heading for the same destiny. If they did not want to share, I guess, I could not force that out of them.

I felt tears gathering up in my eyes. Not wanting to let them see that, I returned to the table. Torchant followed me, and a while later Platypi sprinted back to join us. <They are coming now> he whispered.

<You know, there’s no secret of me from you, right?> asked Torchant soothingly. I just looked at her.

And then they walked in - the girl leading, followed by the boy, who probably was attracted to her, and the bit grumpy and plain looking boy in the rear – our soon to-be trainers.

I exhaled slowly and deeply.

***​

Oh, the big moment at last! – I thought. As I followed Jenna and Roger in the room, I felt goose bumps. My very first Pokémon – what a feeling!

The room was brightly lit. Even with the sunlight pouring in, there were additional means of artificial lights set at a few corners. There were complex looking machines all-around the room.

But the stars of this moment, the three starters sat in a large examination table in the middle of the room.

My attention was instantly drawn towards the little, ruby-red bug sitting at the far left. It was practically glowing in the, now, bright sun. Torchant looked like it was made of polished, thick, red glass with a burning fire inside – which, I reminded myself, was the case in actual - that was giving off the soft gleam. Its head was almond shaped, and pointy towards the end. Two spindly antennae protruded from either side of its head finishing in elegant curls. Its body was like a drop of blood, solidified, and was small compared to its head. Two tiny, fluttering wings were poking out of its back. I was quite sure that this little Pokémon would not be able to fly on those. Two pairs of small, segmented limbs came out of its roundish body balancing its weight. It was observing us with its large black, glittering eyes. When my eyes met its pair, it turned away immediately to look at the leafy Pokémon sitting at its side.

Petalip looked like it was wearing a gown made of mango leaves. Its head was completely round, and so were its pair of brown eyes. It had a little, sharp, cream-colored beak. Its crest feathers, one a brownish red, the other yellow, were unique – large and upright, set at the back of its head, rather the way Lakota kids wear it – giving the little bird the look of a hunter. Its fir was a bright yellow-green under its dark green coat of leaves. Its feet had three cream-brown fingers each, quite muscular, and complete with pointy talons. They looked like quite a weapon.

Once I have scanned its features top to bottom, I found its gaze upon me. It was looking at me as if to weigh me, but had an encouraging smile on its face. ‘Judgmental’, I remembered, and smiled. It gave a tiny nod in response.
At the far right, sat Platypi, squat and portly, it looked the most aggressive of the three. Its coat was a dull poison green mostly, and its fir was spiky. A somewhat round face with a flat, murky yellow beak was set atop its muscled body without the courtesy of much neck in between. Its hands were a greenish blue, and it wore a cape of thick fir of the same color. Its belly was a light cerulean blue, matching the pupils of its big, bright eyes. Its stubby feet were webbed with pointy nails which, I knew, could secrete poison. To complete the figure, it had a bushy tail almost the length of its body. The tail looked like an oval food-tray upturned, and was outlined with the same blue of its belly.

Platypi had its arms crossed over its chest. It looked haughty, as if poised to strike. ‘Not my type’, I thought. It was either Torchant or Petalip for me, I decided.

Once we were over with the initial scrutinizing, we were looking at each other trying to read each others thought. I, for one, had no idea how to settle on this. Jenna had shown interest in Torchant. I guess she could have it. That would leave Platypi and Petalip for me and Roger. I hoped Roger would chose the Platypi, and leave Petalip for me.

“So, what do you think?” asked Professor Fir. He was now sitting on a revolving chair next to the check-up table.

“Err…I think I would take Torchant,” declared Jenna, and immediately looked at me for my response. I nodded. Torchant seemed elated, I did not know why. The little bug fluttered its tiny wings, and hovered over to Jenna. They greeted each other, and sort of hugged and giggled. It was beautiful. The connection they made was pleasant, and it made my desire to get my starter stronger.

“That’s one down, two to go,” announced Professor Fir. We said nothing, just kept staring the remaining two Pokémon.

“Well, if you must know,” Professor continued, “the Platypi is a pure water type, for now. But as it evolves it gains poison as its secondary type.” He paused and beckoned towards the Petalip, “The case is similar for Petalip. It is wholly grass type now, but gains fighting type attributes as it evolves.”

“Torchant are fire and bug all the ways though,” Jenna added, “aren’t they professor?”

“Indeed, they are,” the professor nodded.

Jenna already bonded with her Pokémon. The Torchant was trying to playfully tickle Jenna with its antennae. Jenna giggled. “You are so pretty,” she sighed.

<You are prettier> Torchant responsed.

“No, you are way prettier than me,” Jenna retorted adoringly.

<No, you are the prettiest!> Torchant stuck to its opinion. They started giggling again.

‘Girls!’ I thought, and turning to Roger asked, “So, what do you think?”

“I was thinking to go for Petalip,” he said, “you know, the way they evolve into fliers and our gym is high on flying types and all…”

There was a cliffhanger to his tone, so I nudged, “But?”

He looked at me. “I don’t know, Platypi looks cooler than I thought…,” he fell silent again.

“Well, if you would rather go for Platypi here, I think I will take Petalip,” I concluded, “if it’s okay with you guys that is,” I looked at the two Pokémon sitting on the table.

Platypi and Petalip looked at each other, and nodded in silent understanding. Then the two of them turned to us, and approached us slowly. I walked up to Petalip, as Roger moved towards Platypi. We both shook hands with our respective Pokémon. It was done!!

“Excellent,” cried Professor Fir, “Congratulations to all of you!” He looked contented with the proceedings. “Now, all you need is your dex. And you can go off on your journey.” He was beaming.

A distraction in the form of a slight lady with bubblegum pink hair arrived at that moment. “What did I miss?” she blurted out, taking off her travelling coat.

“Oh, hullo Nurse Joy!” greeted the professor. He was blushing for some reason. Torchant whispered something in Jenna’s ears, and Jenna looked amused.

“May I present you the three new trainers,” he beckoned towards us. He sounded cocky as if to show us off.

“Hello guys!” she greeted pleasantly. We all shook hands with her. I was surprised when Joy said that she had heard of me from the Joy of our Newseed town. I was familiar with the Joy from back home, and I remembered relaying to her about my wish to become a Pokémon trainer. But I had not expected her to gossip about that. It was satisfying in a way to know that.

She of course knew Jenna. Firstly she was a local, and then she was the daughter of a famous couple. From their talk, I gathered that Joy and Mrs. Davis were good friends. She was excited that Jenna had chosen a Torchant, just like her mother had in her time! Well, that explained a lot. Maybe that was why Jenna wanted to get the Torchant in the first place.

She did not know Roger at all though. But, like us, made the link to Gordon Hale in no times once Roger had introduced himself.

“All three of you have got great Pokémon,” Joy said, “I know, because I have been doing regular check-ups on them.” The three Pokémon beamed at her.

“Okay, so you kids wait here, and I’ll go and get your pokedex,” announced the Professor. Then turning to Nurse Joy, he said, “A word please, Nurse Joy.” Both of them walked of the room leaving us – the three new trainers and the starters, in the room.

We sat on the couch side by side. Jenna had Torchant on her lap. Platypi was sitting beside Roger while Petalip sat with me.

“So, what’s your plan now?” Jenna asked at large.

“I am doing gyms,” I confided, “I’ll head back home the soonest I can, say my good-byes to my parents, and hit the road.”

“You will be going for the league, I guess,” Roger said to me.

“Yeah, won’t you too?”

“I do not need to compete in the league. I am going for a gym-leader test, you see.”

“Whoa! You want to be a gym-leader?” I was surprised.

“Like your uncle, right?” Jenna asked.

“He is my inspiration, yeah. You know, I have grown up watching him do the challenges, it’s just so exciting. I always wanted to be in his place one day. It just fascinates me so much!” he sounded passionate.

“So you won’t fight in the league?”

“I am not saying I won’t. I just don’t need to. I only need to get as many badges as I can. The more badges you get the higher your gym is ranked, you see. And then you have to sit for the gym-leader test with the league officials.”

“Sounds fascinating!” Jenna said. Roger nodded, “It is.”

“So what about you, Jenna?” I asked. “You going for contests like your mother?”

She nodded. “I’ve been waiting for this so long.”

“Why did your mom stopped doing contest?” Roger asked.

“You know….she got tired, and then there was this trouble with…” her voice trailed away. We understood enough not to press the matter. If she was not ready to tell us the story, she did not need to.

I turned to Petalip. My first Pokémon! It was so exciting to just watch him sit there. He was nibbling with the red berry looking button on his chest with his leafy hands. “What shall I call you?” I asked.

He sat upright, apparently interested in the matter. <Let’s see you try coming up with a decent one> he challenged me.

“Leaf,” I offered. He raised an eye. “Green,” I stammered. “Pine, Spikes, Bush….err….Neon, Petal…” I rallied.

<Petal> he picked, <hmm>. I became hopeful. <No, it sounds girly.> I gave up.

<No rush here, we’ll decide on it later,> Petalip assured me.

Jenna took on cue. “I’ll call you Ruby, how about that?” she told Torchant.
<That’s a great name, thanks Jenna!> chirped Torchant.

“My pleasure,” Jenna smiled. “You totally deserve being a Ruby; you are like a bright gemstone, aren’t you?”

<You are bright!> Torchant said.

“You are brighter!” Jenna retorted. It started all over again. I and Petalip shook heads. Roger and Platypi laughed.

“I guess, you would want a name too,” Roger asked Platypi.

<Your wish. I do not care really. As long as I am the only Platypi in your team that is.>

Roger chuckled. “I am planning on a variety,” he assured Platypi.

<Good!> Platypi curled up, and closed his eyes. <Call me when all this is over.> Roger stroked his head fondly.

We sat there talking about stuff for a while. I talked about how I was afraid of Pokémon when I was a kid. Jenna talked about her mother and contests. She was careful not to go near the ‘end days’. Roger did not talk much, just listened.

“So how did you got picked to be one of the three this season?” I asked the two.

“Professor Fir knew me already, but I had filled up the form and written the essay during the last trainer-pick contest” Roger said.

“I did the same,” I said.

Recently becoming a Pokémon trainer had become a fashion around here. Kids just wanted to pick a Pokémon, and head out from home. But after a while most of them would drop out. So, Professor Fir, the genius he was, came up with the ‘trainer-pick contest’. Enthusiasts had to fill up a form and then write up a piece on why they wanted to be a trainer. Professor Fir then went through the submissions, and chose the two he thought most deserving. It had been working out really well.

“That means you came from the trainer school, Jenna?” I asked.

“Yes, I topped the scrutiny exam. It was tough. Mom said to go for the ‘trainer-pick’ challenge; she even offered help with the essay. But I wanted to earn it on my own.”

I started to like Jenna. She was no snobbish, cry-baby, as I had previously presumed. She was friendly, open, and a bit childish. She was inviting us to her home when Professor Fir returned with Nurse Joy.

“Sorry to keep you waiting kids; I was showing Nurse Joy through my recent paper, and lost track of time” he said apologetically.

“Yeah, he is a genius,” said Nurse Joy breathless. The professor flushed.
“Here are your pokedex,” the professor offered us three small packages. We took one each.

The dex was like a small calculator, very stylized and trendy looking. Mine was a navy blue, Jenna’s a pink, and Roger got a jet-black one. At first look it was just a polished piece of shiny metal with some buttons on it. But then I pointed it at Petalip, and a sensor set in its front became alive. The device automatically detected pretalip, and a transparent button on it shown green. I pressed it instinctively. A small screen slid out of one side of the dex, and a picture of a Petalip flashed upon it.

“Petalip, the bud Pokémon. These are very social creatures, nesting on tree-tops with their families. In a forest, they can easily camouflage themselves, thanks to their gown of leaves.” The dex fell silent. But, under the figure of Petalip on the screen, a message flashed that read ‘more information’.

Roger copied me, and soon his dex was narrating information on Platypi. “Platypi, the poison fin Pokémon. They prefer muddy bogs to make nests in. Their tails are powerful, and are often used as an weapon in battles.”

<Really?> Platypi sounded curious, and tried to look back on his tail.

Jenna smiled and clicked on her dex to check out Torchant. ”Torchant, the fire stinger Pokémon. They are usually found near coal mines. Their wings are yet undeveloped, and thus they are unable to fly properly. However they still can hover around on these.”

“Cool!” Jenna exclaimed.

“Good,” said the professor, “you have mastered the basic use. It’s easy enough; you will get the hang of it in no time. Plus, there’s a manual in there if you need it.” He rummaged in a big carton for a moment and then brought out three other packages, “you also get,” he handed a packet to each of us three, “five pokeballs for your first captures. Remember once you have a full team of six Pokémon, the later captures will automatically be transferred to me, since you are registered here.”

We all thanked the professor. He then gave us the pokeballs for our starters, and we called them back in.

“Petalip return!” saying it for the first time was exhilarating. And as I tipped open the ping-pong sized ball, it grew to the size of a big orange, and shoot out a red beam. The read beam contacted with Petalip and converted him into a beam-form and sucked him into the contour of the ball. I had seen this happen for god knows, how many times, but doing it myself was genuinely thrilling.

Once everyone had packed their stuff, we headed out of the room with Professor Fir and Nurse Joy. He walked with us on our way out, giving us the primary directions on our journey.

“Now, Shaun, you will be competing in the league, won’t you?” asked the professor. I nodded. “Well then, you would need to register with any Pokémon centre. I suggest you register here before leaving the city.”
“Jenna, you will need to go to Cherrybloom for the closest contest hall. You can register there, or at any Pokémon contest hall you wish. Wherever you register, they will supply your ribbon case, and the beginner’s package.” Jenna nodded.

As for you Roger, you won’t need to go through any formalities right now. Collect your badges, and call me when you think you are ready for the gym-intake exam. I’ll give you the guidelines then.”

“Thanks Professor,” Roger said with a little bow.

“Oh, it is totally my pleasure!”

We had reached the front porch. A sleek, black sedan was standing at the gate. Just as I was wondering whom it was for, the chauffeur, a man in black suit, got out of the driver’s seat, walked towards us, and greeted Jenna with a bow.

“Roy, look,” cried Jenna, as she let Torchant out of her pokeball, “I’ve got my first Pokémon!” Torchant came out in a beam of bright light, hovered before us for a while, and settled herself on Jenna’s shoulder.

“That is excellent Miss. Davis!” Roy, the chauffeur, sounded genuinely excited, “Your mother will be pleased!” Jenna beamed at him. They walked to the car. Roy opened a door for Jenna, and she got in. Before Roy had shut the door, Jenna called for us, “remember, you are invited to dinner at our home this evening.”

I forgot that she had invited us. But I was planning to get to the bus station, and catch the first bus I got to get back home, once I’ve registered at the Pokémon centre here. I told Jenna so. She consulted something with her chauffeur, and then said, “Roy says there’s a night coach for Newseed at nine in the evening. You can take that Shaun. Please come along Shaun!” she pleaded.

I gave in. She was pleased.

Roger, you will be staying the night here in Pinegroove, right?” she asked Roger.

Roger replied a yes. “Good,” said Jenna, “I’ll send Roy at the Pokémon centre around five to pick you up then; is that alright?”

“Fine then,” I said. Roger nodded.

Jenna bade good bye to the professor and Nurse Joy, and then she was gone in her car leaving a trail of dust smoke at their wake.

Roger had agreed to register for the league as well, just in case. Nurse Joy left in her bicycle, to go ahead and prepare for the registration. And once we had said our good byes to the professor, and he had wished us good luck, we left as well.

Fir’s lab was placed on the outskirt of the city on a small hill. The famous Evergreen forest lied in its back. For now we headed not towards the forest, but in the opposite direction - towards the city centre. The road we took sloped down and spiraled its way towards the dense collection of high-rise buildings.

We hit the road just as it struck twelve. “And so it begins, eh!” Roger smiled.

“So it begins,” said I.

Phew, here you go, Chapter-2. Do crit as you please. Leave a comment at the least.

Last edited:

shac

Okay guys, do comment. It gets depressing if you do not.
Anyway, here's the new chapter.

Chapter-3

Last night had been a very long one. It was fun, sure, what with all the dancing, eating and chatting, but it had been very tiring as well. Torchant seemed like she had found her own heaven. When we had left Jenna’s, it was quarter to midnight. Good thing their Sedan ran fast, or we would have missed our bus. When we were getting on board, the wind was blowing hard; overhead the sky was covered with black, mushy clouds grumbling in an ominous manner.

I had drifted off to an easy sleep, thanks to the super cozy seats of the coach. I was having a dream, nothing spectacular, and the weird part was that I was aware that I was dreaming. Then suddenly a particularly loud thunder crashed outside, and I woke up with a start. Beside me, Shaun was sleeping with his mouth slightly hanging open, breathing in and out deeply and slowly, his head wobbling side to side with the slow jerking of the bus. He looked peaceful, and for a while I just sat there looking at him as my head started to clear up from the gloom of sleep. ‘My trainer’, I sighed.

It was weird how it felt. Past couple of months I had kept worrying myself about how my trainer would turn out to be like. I had thought that once that part was over there would not be any other worries in life. But now that, that part was really over, a hundred more worries had taken its place. I was happy about Shaun, as happy as I could have been at this point. No, the worries I had now were about me – would I be able to prove myself worthy of being a pokemon to be trained? If I had known this part would be coming, I would have prepared myself for it, like Platypi had done. I guess this was what had motivated him to learn ‘water gun’ on his own.

That led me to the events of last evening again. After we had gotten over what a grand place the Davis’ had, had wowed enough at the huge plasma TV Jenna had for herself, and after ‘my trainer’ had had third helping to every item of the delicious banquet they prepared for us, Roger had asked Shaun on an one on one battle. To my great relief and curiosity, Shaun had smoothly got out of it promising on a later date. I was relieved because I was not prepared to fight Platypi, not that soon. Besides he had already advanced to the first elemental attack, the cheater he was. I was curious because Shaun, unlike any other trainer, had let himself pass a challenge that way. I knew why I did not want to battle, but I had not understood why he had denied the offer. Had he understood this insecurity?

I was staring at the dark glass of the window without really looking at it. Then without warning thick water drops started to splash over the glass. The pace became faster soon, and within minutes it was in torrents, like someone was using some strong water attack angrily targeting the window with a vendetta of breaking it. The noise thrilled me. This was the very first time I was watching it raining, and I was astonished to realize how much I liked it. It chilled me down to my very core.

<Shaun, Shaun, wake up!> I cried in amazement, poking his arm, <It’s raining outside!>

Shaun, like me woke with a start, “What?....Oh! It’s raining, huh!” His voice was happy. He liked it too. For a moment we sat side by side watching rain water washing down our window.

“That’s your first rain?” he enquired.

<Yes.>

“You like it?” he asked. I nodded. He smiled, “Me too! We have more in common than we thought, huh?”

I smiled too.

***​

‘Man, I hope this rain tunes down a bit soon, or we will be drenched bad’ I thought to myself. The bus had entered Newseed a while ago, leaving Route-101 behind us. Within half an hour top we will reach the bus stop, but the rain was hardly showing any sign of receding. Beside me, petalip was still watching the rain intently. I understood the fervor. His first rain, that’s got to be something worth succumbing his mind altogether. Outside the sky was lightening. The sun has been up a while ago, but the dark cloud was blocking most of it.

As we drove through my most favorite town of the whole world, familiar places swished past us. Newseed was a beautiful town, and it looked even more tranquil in the soft sun being newly rain-washed. Greenery was everywhere. Neatly built houses with red-bricked roofs, manicured lawns, and berry bushes surrounding them appeared at measured intervals. ‘The Loreil’s, the Regan’s, the Frederick’s’…I was counting absentmindedly all the familiar houses along the road…’the Beigen’s, the Truman’s, the Dawson’s’…it struck. The Dawson.

Farabi Dawson was the gym leader of Newseed Town. We were not really friends, but we knew each other. We had been to the elementary school together; he was a couple of years ahead of me though. Then he completed primary school, and went to the Pokemon Trainers’ academy. When it was my turn I went to Newseed High. Since then we had not seen much of each other.

It was a really big occasion when Farabi was allowed the gym leader seal. Newseed did not have any gym before, and so the excitement was overwhelming. A gym leader at the age of 16! That was a great achievement. The Dawsons had invited the whole town to celebrate – that was some party; that was. I smiled to myself as I recalled the events a year back. It was then, seeing the people celebrating it, that I became interested in pokemon training. I wanted to get that kind of glory for myself.

The bus skidded to a halt as it reached the stoppage. I was so lost in my thoughts that I had not noticed earlier. Soon there was all the scrapping of luggage, pressing bodies as everyone tried to get down at the same time. I collected my small backpack from the vault overhead, returned Petalip to his ball, and got down.

The rain had poured itself into a steady drizzle. The roads were muddy and empty. It was too early for the town folk to wake up. Besides, the rain must have encouraged an extra sleeping hour this morning. Not wanting to catch a cold, I got my jacket-hood up. As I slopped through the many muddy puddles I hoped there was something good for breakfast. I was starving.

“Who says you can’t go home…hm hmm hmmm,” I was humming my favorite song as I jogged through the narrow lane. The rain had finally stopped, and the sky was clearing steadily. The sun broke through at last. Health conscious people were coming out for the morning jog. I saw Mrs. Kent, the only grocer in town, trotting along the other side of the road with her glameow. As she came closer, I waved at her.

“Good morning Mrs. Kent!” I greeted.

“Oh, hello Shaun,” she smiled back, “Where have you been this early?”

“I just got back from PineGroove, from Prof. Fir’s, you know.”

“Oh!” she exclaimed, understanding dawning onto her, “You got your first pokemon!” Well, of course she knew. There really was not much privacy for such big news in such a small locality. When I had called mom from Jenna’s last evening she told me that the whole town was waiting for me to return.
I nodded, and smiled.

“But then you have to show me,” she ran past the street, visibly excited. “Show me” she demanded with a childish grin.

I took out Petalip’s pokeball and let him out. In a flash of red beam he appeared with a questioning look on his face.

“Oh, she’s just adorable!” squealed Mrs. Kent. Petalip raised an eye.
“Umm….he’s a HE, Mrs. Kent,” I corrected her.

“Oh, is she?” she looked surprised. “I mean, are you?...But you look girly!” she said turning to Petalip.

<Nnya nnya….girly…khik khik!!> chuckled glameow at her feet.

<What’s funny?> Petalip snapped at the glameow.

“Hmm, aggressive,” she nodded wisely, “but don’t you start at Nyanma now, she’s plenty strong. She can destroy you if she wants to.”

“What! really?” I was surprised. Where was this coming from? Town folk had changed since Farabi set his gym here, had not they? I could not remember Mrs. Kent to be this gaudy before.

“Yes, yes,” she nodded vigorously, “she’s always fighting those stray mewoth, isn’t she? Heaven knows what we would do without her. Those darn mewoth are slick as grease, I tell you, they would steal your muffins from right under your nose, and you would not even know. Thanks to Nyanma here we are selling muffins again. She does an amazing job keeping them away” she ended with reverence in her voice.

<I am cool!> chuckled glameow.

<So not!> growled petalip.

<Says who? But you are just a talking plant, aren’t you? Not smart.> glameow looked supremely unconcerned, like Petalip was a three-year old fool babbling childishly.

<What did you call me?> shrieked Petalip. His eyes glowed bright green as he glared viciously at glameow.

<Are trying to use a ‘Leer’ attack on me, you silly talking plant!> glameow snapped. She, inhaling deeply, crouched a little in an attacking pose; I panicked. But before I could get the pokeball for petalip, Glameow exhaled in an earsplitting ‘growl’ attack. Waves of sound hit petalip in the face and threw him off balance. He stumbled backward. I recalled him quickly before things got out of hand.

<Chicken!> glameow purred, looking smug.

“He is not, he’s just a month old,” I tried to defend Petalip.
<Whatever!> shrugged glameow.

“Now, now, Nyanma, don’t be rude!” Mrs. Kent crooned. Then her eyes lit up and she squealed excitedly “I know! Shaun, ma’ boy, why don’t you train your pokemon, and when it gets stronger we will battle. That should be fun!”
“Oh, okay!” I got my first challenge even before I got home! No, wait, my second challenge. I recalled Roger had challenged me while at Jenna’s last night. I had also pushed back the date for that remembering that his Platypi had already learnt ‘water gun’. I did not want to lose my first battle.

<Like that stupid plant could ever beat me!> huffed glameow.

‘Weirdo!’ I thought. “Well, see you later Mrs. Kent.”

As soon as I got out of their sight I let petalip out. He looked grumpy as he walked with me.

“Are you hurt?” I asked. He shook his head.

We walked in silence for a while. Petalip looked disturbed, a bit crestfallen.

<Why didn’t you let me battle?> he asked suddenly.

“Oh, her glameow was stronger; I just didn’t want you to get hurt.”

He stared at me for a moment as if to verify something, then nodded. <That show-off was stronger alright> he paused, <but we gotta take risks sometimes, don’t we?>

I shrugged. “We will get to her soon buddy, just wait till you learn your first ‘elemental’ attack,” I assured him. He still looked down.

“Oh cheer up boy! We’ll be home soon, have breakfast, and we’ll start training the first thing after that!”

That cheered him alright. He smiled at me, and winked in approval.
We turned around the bend, and a white-washed Victorian duplex house came into view. ‘Home sweet home’, I muttered, and ran across the lawn to the porch, Petalip at my tail. I buzzed the bell impatiently…once, twice, until “Coming, coming!” my mother said sleepily from inside.

She opened the door rubbing her eyes; saw me and “Honey! You are home!” she shouted in excitement as she hugged me tightly.

“Mooom!” I whined lightly. At my feet Petalip chuckled. We both looked at him, and my mom cried again, “A Petalip, that’s great honey!” She took him in her hands and patted him on his head. He grinned as if to enjoy that.
We went inside as mom gossiped away. She said that dad was not home, that he had gone to a medical convention in SilverRidge, and, “oh, honey, your dad told me to call him as soon as you get back.”

So, mom called dad. I did not get the chance to give him the news of my starter, because mom beat me to it. When I got him over the phone dad said how very proud he was of me – he had been saying that for the last couple of months though – and made me swear that I would not leave till he came back, which was not till a week later. I promised I would wait. I would have to challenge Farabi before leaving the town anyway. I was not in a hurry.

Once the welcome chitchat was over, I felt tired. Mom was asking if I wanted breakfast right away, I said I would take a quick nap before that. Petalip was on the edge of throwing a tantrum again, but I made him see reason. If we were to practice later, we would need our strength, and for that we would need our rest and breakfast.

Mom said she would make bacon and egg for breakfast.

“But what will you eat Petalip?” she asked.

I remembered that I had not bought pokemon food yet, and I felt stupid for that.

“Err….Petalip, I forgot to buy pokechow for you; do you think bacon will do for now? I’ll buy your food later this afternoon.”

<Bacon’s good!> Petalip nodded.

We let mom work in the kitchen as we came upstairs in my room. I was feeling pretty tired after the nightlong journey, and I was sure Petalip was worn out too, but as we stretched over my bed, sleep was evading us both. So we lay awake side by side as the sun moved upward in the eastern sky. My room was a mess; I would have to clean it up before I leave Newseed – I made a mental note. My PC was stocked in a corner with my huge collection of books and DVDs right above it in a rack. Beside the PC table was my closet which I had emptied before going to PineGroove in search of my backpack. I had forgotten to repack my closet, so now my clothes were strewing my study desk placed opposite to my bed.

Petalip was nibbling the red-button-berry thing on his chest. This is the thing he seemed to do whenever he was absentminded. As I looked at him, he met my eyes and smiled.

<So what’s the plan for later today?> he asked.

I thought for a while. “The first mission is to win the fur-badge from Farabi.”
<Okay. Do we know what type of pokemon he uses?>

“Normal types; and he uses two pokemon. So we would need to catch ourselves another pokemon before we can challenge him.”

<I could take down two, you know!>

I smiled. “Of course, you can! But we would still need another team mate just in case. Why? Don’t you want any new friend?”

<That’s not it. I was just saying. But more importantly, once I learn my first elemental attack, I have a bone to pick with that stupid brat!>

I knew he was talking about Glameow. That spring-tail had really touched a nerve.

<Before we leave this town…>

“Newseed” I reminded him.

<Yes, Newseed. We will surely battle that galmeow, and I’ll make sure that she loses bad> he huffed. I chuckled.

“What’s your first elemental attack anyway?” I wondered aloud.

<I dunno, do I? That’s the trainer’s job to know.>

“Is it?”

I got out of the bed and took my backpack. My pokedex was inside it, as well as a brown paper packet. I remembered that Nurse Joy of PineGroove had given me that, once I had registered for the poke-league. Roger had got one too. But before we had been able to look what was inside, Jenna’s car had arrived, and so the packet had been left unopened.

I tore open the packet first, several things fell out. A slim book, a pen and a small pocket diary. The diary and the pen seemed ordinary, only with the exception of pokemon league seal plastered on them. I checked the book out. It was titled ‘Pokemon League Guide Book – for beginning trainers’. There was a sticker over the cover that said – ‘find an exclusive Rainden Map inside’. I skimmed through the first chapters. The basics I already knew, but then there were chapters in detail about different gyms, gym-leaders, and sections on what to do if one lost their badges and stuff like that. In the middle there was, as promised, the map. I tore it out, unfolded it, and spread it over my bed. It almost covered my whole bedspread. There it laid – the whole Rainden Land. The gym locations were marked in red, contest-halls in blue. There were some other markings too, but I left it for now to go back to my pokedex.

As I flipped over the lid, and pointed it towards Petalip, the dex rambled on the detail it had given us yesterday on Petalip. I went for the ‘more information’ option on the screen. A drop down list appeared with the options – Stats, Attacks, Experience level etc. I pressed attacks. The automated voice activated as it droned, “This Petalip knows Pound and Leer attack.” I pressed on the ‘next attack’ option, and a list of attacks appeared over the screen. From what I gathered Petalip would learn ‘razor leaf’ next.

“So our first target is you to learn ‘Razor Leaf’, huh!”

<Let’s go for it!> chirped Petalip.

Since we could not sleep, I thought better to go out for training. Downstairs we met mom.

“I thought you guys were napping,” she said questioningly.

“Turns out you can’t sleep when there’s training to do,” I replied.
We hurried through the breakfast. Petalip ate three bacons himself. And then we were off to training.

<Where to?> asked Petalip once we were out of the house.

“There’s this grassy patch near the woods,” I said thoughtfully, “I guess, there would be some decent pokemon there. We go east.”

<Okay, let’s go!> and I strutted along the all too familiar path, Platypi following me.

“Hey, wait,” I gasped, “I forgot to bring any pokeball!” We had already walked a mile from home.

Platypi raised an eye; <Now he remembers!> he scoffed. <Well, you can catch pokemon tomorrow; let’s focus on razor leaf for today.>

“Okay,” I agreed.

Besides I would have to scan the place for available pokemon before I decided what to catch. I have seen wild rattata and climball around this area, and the trees are packed with magpea nests and pidgey, but I would not, of course, go ahead and catch every single pokemon I could lay my eyes on. I just was not one of those who sang ‘gotta catch ‘em all’ to heart.
“Let’s see how today’s training turn out, and then we will decide what to get,” I decided. Platypi nodded in agreement.

The wind blew as it ruffled my hair and Platypi’s crest-feather. It was a pleasant morning. Great day for outing. The rain had washed itself away and the sun was mild overhead. As we continued east the surrounding gradually changed. Spacing between houses became lengthier until there were no houses on the perimeter at all. Wild hedges ruled here. Grass grew tall, and wild vines covered the whole area.

<Looks like a good place> Platypi commented.

“Hmm….let’s check out the area, shall we?”

And we stepped into the grassy mess. “Ready Platypi?”

<Always> he chirped.

Last edited:

shac

I dunno when I would just accept that none's gonna post anything in response to this, but at this point I am even ready for a 'this fic. suckzzz' post. Yeah, I am impatient!
But seriously, do leave a comment.

Chapter-4

I did not realize that this could so thrilling; the blood rush I was receiving just at the prospect of battling was overwhelming. I have always wondered why two pokemon would fight each other just to please the human. Now it seemed that there were things for us to gain too – A-class excitement to name one.

The grassy patch of area we have selected as exercise ground today seemed to be an ideal choice. Though we have not seen any pokemon in the past half hour, there were noises everywhere proving there presence nearby. It was not until we have de-tangled us from a thick set of ivy for the third time, did we find any pokemon.

It was a wild Rattata, a small purple rodent with a cream underbelly, and a thin tail ending in a slight curl. The Rattata, with its back on us, was gnawing at some wild berries that grew plenty around this place. It was so busy eating that it had not noticed us approaching until we were too close. Shaun could not have much experience in hiking in such landscape because he was stumbling at every few paces. When he saw the wild rattata, he got so excited that he forgot to watch his steps, caught himself in a dead stump of wood, and tripped over. It might have been hilarious if I was not too busy observing our first encounter.

Shaun righted himself, and came to stand behind me. He was fumbling with his dex-thingy that was whizzing info on Rattata; nothing I heard sounded interesting though – not at this point. I met Shaun’s eyes, glistening with excitement, and he gave me a ‘go-for-it’ nod. I thought it would be unsporting to just attack when its back was turned to us. So I called it out.

<Hey!>

The wild mouse turned to look at me. <What?> it asked, by the sound of its voice a male species. He saw me and Shaun standing behind me, and understood the situation.

<Aww, you one of those slave pokemon?> he asked rather rudely.

“Not a slave!” cried Shaun, “NO, a friend, see.” He fidgeted, clearly uncomfortable at the sudden rudeness.

I knew better. <You up for a battle lil guy?> I asked the rude Rattata.

<Sure thing, puny!> he smirked back.

‘Not one to run away at first chance, hmm’ I thought.

He threw away his berry, half-eaten, and took a battling stance – got on all four, front legs wide apart, his large front teeth bare and menacing.

I changed pose too; it came naturally as I set my mind on the crouching foe before me. I set my right foot before me putting most of my body weight onto it. I held my little leaf-like hands apart; my body bent forward, and felt my two crest-feathers shot upright in pure agitation – ‘my first battle!’ I thought to myself, and it made me euphoric, almost.

<Okay, here goes,> piped Rattata, as it all of a sudden burst out with blinding speed towards me. I was only ten feet away, and he covered the gap in a blink of an eye. As he hit me I rekindled. He leapt backward and landed softly on the grassy mass, while I staggered a few paces before I steadied myself. Rattata let out a satisfied grin as it eyed me. My mind was telling me to attack, but I was not precise about it.

<Shaun?> I breathed warily. I saw that the abrupt start of the battle had taken him off guard – it was his first time too after all. But he came out of it fast.

“A ‘quick attack’…He’s fast” he whimpered, then, “use ‘pound’ Petalip!”

‘Pound it is’ I thought, and charged towards Rattata with my right arm held high, the tip of it glowing white with the energy that I was channeling to it.
But even as I got close, Rattata slightly jumped to the right evading my attack.

He rolled his eyes and said, <aww please!> He was enjoying the turn out of events.

I was clearly lagging in speed. Shaun seemed to have realized that too.

“Leer, Petalip!” he suggested. His options were narrow.

I focused on Rattata and tried to thrash him down with my glare. Rattata seemed to have got caught with it. He looked sober as he watched me with narrow eyes. But then he darted towards me again. I automatically bent to a defensive pose. He did not hit though. I only felt his tail brush against my side. And then he was on my other side. As I started to turn towards him, he again did the brushing-with-tail thing. It was oddly distracting in a way I could not comprehend.

Behind us Shaun had a sudden realization as he shouted, “he is using tai-whip on you, don’t let your guard down!”

Knowing the name of his move did not help much; though Shaun’s shouting got me to refocus on Rattata. He was smiling slyly. <Have had enough?> he smirked.

<Hmph> I huffed. I tried to do another ‘leer’ on him. He was preparing for another quick attack, but as I bore on him with my viscous stare, he stumbled at the second before hitting me, and to my surprise and immense luck fell over just in front of my feet.

“Now’s your chance, pound it, pound it hard!” shouted Shaun.

I did not need the order. It was an obvious opening. I held my right arm high, jumped a little, and came crashing over him. I had targeted my attack on his purple head. But at the last moment I pushed it a little farther. The neck seemed to be a weak spot. The tip of my arm glowed white, and I smacked hard. There was no mistaking the low crunch of breaking bone as my attack found its mark.

I jumped back upon hitting. I must have hit it right and hard, because rattata did not get up after that.

“Did we get him?” Shaun hurried to my side bursting with enthusiasm.

<I think so!> I replied, watching Rattata’s limp body. But as Shaun walked over the spot where he was lying, his body stirred. He got up slowly on his hind legs and threw me a reproachful look.

<Same time, tomorrow!> he offered boldly.

<What? A rematch?> I asked.

<If you are brave enough.>

<You are on!> I took the offer. He limped away into the tall grasses, and soon was out of our sight.

As the adrenaline rush receded, I sighed out a breath, and looked at Shaun. He was practically doing a victory dance. I giggled.

“We did it, we did it!” he cheered.

<That was only a rattata> I tried to retort, smiling. But winning the first battle, even if it was a rattata, made Shaun elated. He patted me on my head appreciatively.

“Good work buddy!” he praised. I liked the way he did it.

“You wanna rest for now?” he asked.

<What? No!> I protested. <I am just warming up!>

“Cool,” he muttered. “Let’s see if we can find anything better than only-a-Rattata.”

So we strutted on deeper into the jungle of tall grasses and tangling vines. For the next fifteen minutes we found a couple more Rattata, but none waited to face a challenge. We only got whims of their white whiskers, or blood-red eyes before they vanished into their burrows. I was getting restless.

“Maybe your combat skill has unnerved them,” Shaun wondered, “the battle could not have gone unnoticed.”

It might be so, but I needed my practice, I needed to learn razor-leaf, and so we pressed on. About another half an hour later we came to a clearing. The grass was not so tall here, and the vines were absent. Instead large trees grew around casting shadows over the arena.

“We should have packed something to eat; I am getting hungry with all these walking,” Shaun panted.

I was getting tired too, but not of walking but the lack of pokemon to fight with.

<One more hour> I said, <if we do not find anyone to battle against, we’ll leave.> Shaun nodded.

<May be we need to choose another spot> I was saying, <the pokemon here do not seem to be brave enough> I continued as I walked over to a hummock, <or, may be…urgh!!>

Before I could finish theorizing, a round object, the size of a pumpkin – though maroon instead of orange, came soaring from over the top of the mound. It hit me on the face before landing on the ground, and then uncoiled itself to reveal a pointy snout with a gray button nose, a few too many whiskers surrounding it. The newcomer looked at us with its coal-black eyes apprehensively.

<Did I hurt you?> asked the Climball in a little voice. <You called me ‘not-brave’, and I lost my nerve at that, sorry!>

‘Weird’ I thought as I scanned his portly features. Now that it was standing on its hind feet, it looked like a furry rugby-ball. Its fur coat was thick and bushy, the face a lighter shade of maroon than the body. Its tail was fluffy like a mop with a bit of dark cream at the tip. Its belly was the same cream, and so was the tuft of hair it had on its head. Its front legs were slender and longer than the hind ones, and colored a different gray. All in all it looked rather comical to me. It surely acted that way too.

Shaun had taken out his dex again. As he pointed it towards Climball, it buzzed on – ‘Climball, the rolling pokemon. It spends most of its times curled up in a ball. Its thick fur protects it from rain and harsh sun.’

<No problem,> I nodded to his apology, <but do you want to fight at all?> I challenged.

<Umm…are you sure, I might hurt you again> he said tentatively, <I do not want to make you cry.>

<Okay, you are officially weird now> I said under my breath. <Will you battle if I promise not to cry?> I asked warily.

He fidgeted a little, as if unsure what to say. <You did call me ‘not-brave’, so…..but do tell me if you want to stop, okay?> and with that he curled up into a ball again.

I rolled my eyes, and then prepared for the battle.

<Should I attack first?> asked the weird Climball. I noticed the way his tail came trailing from his back and covered his face in this stance leaving only his bulbous eyes exposed.

<Sure, sure!> I called. Shaun was snickering behind me. I could not help a smile too.

Climball came charging towards me like a ten-pin ball on the rolling lane.

“Roll-out, I see. Wait for it to come closer,” suggested Shaun, “jump when I tell you to.” I did not see where he was heading, but I trusted his judgment.
CLimball was gathering speed as it closed the distance between us. When he was only inches away, Shaun shouted, “Now,” and I jumped. I did not notice till now, but there was a puddle of mud behind the spot where I was standing. The rolling Climball could not stop before falling into it. It was splattering grime all around but could not get out either. He was stuck like a car-tire in a bog.

Shaun snickered. He must have anticipated this. “Now Petalip, pound it!” he cried out.

I pirouetted in mid-air from my escape jump, and turned on Climball. The falling speed came to my advantage as I charged on the rolling mass with my glowing arm. I was trying to decide on a weak spot so as to end it like before with rattata. But climball, rolled into a defensive curl, did not offer any such spot. The splattering mud did not help my focus either.
Even as I bore down my pounding arm on Climball, he uncoiled. I did manage to strike, but I lost focus at the sudden change in his stance. It did not do that much damage. I leapt back, and so did Climball landing on all four near the foot of the hummock. He shook his body vigorously trying to clean up the mud of its fur.

<Aww….this is gonna stuck!> he complained.

<Are you still for the battle?> I inquired.

<Sure, sure, but wait I want to get this mud of me first> and with that he started to lick the grime off, completely ignoring me.

I felt exasperated. ‘Weird, stupid Climball’ I muttered under my breath. Shaun was in hysterics behind me. I shot a dirty look at him too, as if it was his fault I had to fight this silly pokemon.

“What?” he asked through his giggles.

<You chose this spot!> I complained.

Shaun came closer to me and whispered, “Slowly go towards him while he is distracted. A clean shot with your pound would teach him right.”

I obeyed. Climball was so busy licking he did not notice me approaching. When I was close enough, I poked him in his ribs.

<What?> he asked, <you wanna help licking?>

Shaun roared in laughter. <No you brainless ball, I wanna fight.> I brought on a powerful pound on him. I noticed that my pound got stronger when I had more time to charge up the energy. He buckled under the sheer power of the attack.

He whimpered, and then suddenly retracted his claw from his right front paw. His four sharp nails shone white as he scratched me on my face. It was powerful, and it stung pretty badly.

I went berserk. “Not on my face!” I shouted, and aimed another pound attack at him. My attack hit its mark, and Climball staggered and fell into yet another muddy pool.

<Aww….see what you have done!> he groaned as he got out dripping grime all over the place.

“Now’s your chance!” Shaun whispered urgently.

I started to run towards him. But Climball cried out, <STOP!> He looked worried. <Can’t you see the state of me? I can’t battle like this. If the mud dries out in my fur it will take weeks to clean it out.>

<What about the battle then?> I asked angrily.

<Fine, I give up! You win, happy?> he got back to licking his fur, <Now, go away and leave me alone.>

“Yay, you did it again!” cheered Shaun. As the realization washed over me a sudden chill shot up my spine. I felt a rush of energy gushing through my body. It abated soon but I felt stronger after that. I smiled at Shaun.
<I think I leveled up!> I whispered.

“You did?” he asked in awe.

<Yeah, I feel stronger somehow.>

“Wow! That’s great! Do you think you can pull out a ‘razor leaf’ now?”

<I dunno how that’s supposed to work, but I don’t think I still can.>

“How did you know you can use pound? And leer, for that matter?”

<I dunno, I’ve always known how to use pound and leer. I think I was born with those moves. I guess, I’ll know it intuitively when I am ready to dish out a new attack.>

Shaun nodded. We were heading back now. “Shall we call it a day for now?” Shaun asked me.

Despite being stronger, I was exhausted, and my face still stung where that stupid Climball thrashed his nails on me. So I agreed.

“We will stop at the Pokemon Center first to patch you up, okay?”

<I am fine; I just need to rest for a while.>

“Still,” Shaun pressed.

We walked back towards the locality. Shaun had offered me to go back to my pokeball, but I preferred to walk with him. We were chatting as we walked. Shaun complimented on my two victories.

“I think you need more practice with your pound though,” he was saying, “it seems you have to take time to charge it up. I guess, with some practice we can cut back on the charging time. That way you can fight faster.” I nodded. Speed was not one of my better qualities. I understood that much. In that case, perfecting my attack seemed to be a good idea. I would need to hit harder and more frequently whenever I got the chance.

When we reached the Pokemon Center, the sun was just above our head.
“Morning,” greeted the nurse from the counter. She was reading a newspaper. As we walked in she put it aside. She had the same pink hair, same blue eyes, and even the same manner of soothing personality that the nurse we had back in PineGroove.

“Shaun, I was wondering when you’d show up!” she greeted, and then her eyes fell on me, “and there’s your Petalip! Rumor has you challenged Mrs. Kent and lost?”

She came to the counter as I hopped onto it. <Rumor has it wrong!> I sighed.

Shaun explained what happened. When he was finished, Nurse Joy asked Shaun for my pokeball. As he handed over the red-white ball, she said, “I knew you would not just go ahead and challenge someone on your first day! I know you are smarter than that! Hmph!”

She went to a corner behind the counter. There a robust complex looking piece of machine stood with a tray adjusted over it. She fumbled with the controls for a while and the machine started to buzz.

“What’s this machine?” asked Shaun.

“It’s just a refiller,” she said.

“What’s a refiller?”

“Oh, it’s this machine that quickly re-energizes pokemon. See, you put the pokemon in its ball and put the ball on the tray,” she beckoned towards the tray on the machine, "then you push this button and the pokemon comes out all charged up!"

<How does that work?> I asked.

Nurse Joy righted herself on a long tool behind the counter before responding. “You see,” she said, “Pokemon in energy form – that’s the form you keep inside a pokeball” she nodded towards me and continued, “can be read like electric pulses. When a pokemon gets bodily exhausted – no physical injuries, mind – only loss of energy, then this machine can detect that. It senses that the pulse the tired pokemon provides is a bit short to that one healthy pokemon would give. There’s a radioactive disc inside the machine, and it continually radiates energy beam. What this machine does is supplement the machines energy to the pokemon so as to refresh it. It’s actually similar to how some of the pokemon moves work, you know…” she paused for a while, “Aromatherapy, Refresh, Synthesis to name some,” she added.

“But what happens in case of physical injury?” Shaun was curious.
“Well, in that case the pokemon needs medial treatment like human does.” She thought something for a while, and then said in a slow voice, “Amazing creatures these pokemon, aren’t they?”

“Yeah, they are,” Shaun smiled.

“Did you know it’s actually in reverse for pokemon?” she asked inconsequentially.

<What?> I did not get her meaning.

She looked at me and said, “yes, you pokemon have it otherwise.”
“What do you mean Nurse Joy?” asked Shaun.

“Well, we human depend on our body to survive. If our body dies, our soul can not withstand that. But for pokemon it’s actually their soul that supports their body. That’s why they can be changed into energy forms, you know. Once their soul dies, the outer shell becomes unneeded. But even if you severely injure a pokemon’s body, it will live as long as its soul remains intact.”

“Wow!” Shaun exclaimed, “That’s deep!”

“Yeah,” smiled the nurse.

“Where did you learn all these stuff?” Shaun wondered.

“Oh, they teach these in the Pokemon Nursing School.”

We sat there for a while. I was trying to digest what the nurse just said. Shaun was getting impatient though. “Excuse me Nurse Joy, but what’s taking so long?”

“Oh the machine needs to charge up the radiation films,” She said matter-of-factly, “I do not get many visitors you know,” she smiled, “here it’s not like the centers in big towns and the cities of course.” She sighed, and continued, “It’s only Farabi – he visits regularly. And those kids of Maggi, they sometime come. I only truly get busy on the weekends, you know. The kids from the trainer school do some training on weekends. They bring in a lot of pokemon to tend to,” she smiled. “I keep the refiller charged all day on those days. You see once you charge it once, and if you do not turn it off, it remains ready all the while. You are the first one today, so…” she smiled vaguely.

At that moment the refiller finished charging up. It beeped thrice and fell silent.

“It’s ready,” declared Nurse Joy, as she got up and took my pokeball from the counter. She turned to me and said, “okay petalip, since it’s your first time, the refeeling – as we call it, might feel a bit weird. Nothing to worry though,” she assured.

She smiled as she opened the pokeball and shot the mysterious red beam at me; in the blink of an eye I was turned into the red beam itself and got sucked up inside the pokeball.

shac

Okay, new chapter's up! Enjoy! And I am thinking about accepting some fakemon from others, of course giving them credit. So if anyone is interested, let me know.

Chapter-5

“Date – 11/08/’09
Time – 11:30 pm
Entry - 1

Dear Diary,

How are you? OK….that’s stupid. See, this is why I do not keep diaries. I just do not know how to keep logs.
Anyway, on to the main point… A very weird thing happened earlier today! Err…I do not know if it was weird, really, and that is the weird part. In any case it was not normal. And even weirder, Petalip does not remember it, though he was there with me the whole time. But I was not hallucinating or anything, was I?

So this is what happened. We were training near the Belladew Lake, you know, the only lake we have in Newseed. It was almost midday. But it was not that sunny, what with all the raining going on lately. It was pouring last night, and it only stopped this dawn. Though black clouds were still lingering in the sky. An ominous sign. But I can not just sit in because it’s raining, can I now – when I have a pokemon to train, and save the world yada yada… Okay I never should attempt at diary entries.

Enough with the weather lecture. So I was training. Petalip’s getting good with pound. He can almost always charge to the fullest in an instant now. I think a day or two will take him to ‘razor-leaf’ level. We have hardly fought anything except for Rattata and Climball till now. Though once I think I saw the black snout of a Poochyena in the bush, but Petalip reckons I was seeing things. In any case when we had run to the spot, there was not a thing there. So, yeah, maybe I was seeing things……but not this morning, I swear. Oh, why can’t I just get to the point?

I think I saw, or I felt an unnatural earthquake today – there, I said it. It was all silent and still one moment, and the next the land beneath us started to shake. It was not like an ordinary earthquake …err…how do I explain this? It was like wave rings in water. You know, when you drop a stone in silent water and rings of wave start to produce from the central point and expand gradually into larger circles. It was something like that, only with the ground instead of water. Like the earth itself was water, with all the trees and mounds of rocks and everything. The tremor did nothing to the surrounding though. It barely lasted more than twenty seconds. Not even a piece of rock was unsettled. Only I was sweating mad after it had stopped. It felt like I had just run a mile at my top speed. My throat hurt in suddenly erupted thirst. But as soon as the tremor subsided, I felt normal again. Spooky, eh?

The first thing I did after it had stopped was checking if Petalip was alright. Only he looked at me like I had gone mad or something. He had felt nothing. He was only steps ahead of me, and in any case I saw the tremors passing through beneath him too. Then why had he not felt it? He reckons the heat must have got better of me. It was only 20 degrees today for crying out loud. I have no idea what happened today. The only thing I know I was wide awake like I am now. Well, even better than now. I am a bit sleepy now…
I am planning not to tell anyone about our…err…my ‘unusual’ experience today. Petalip won’t support me, and mom would simply make a racket out of it. I dunno why, but I think mom is looking for a reason to keep me from going away. Typical!!

So…err…that’s it for now. I do not know if I’ll be writing regularly. On second thought I do know that I won’t be. So, do not expect to see much day light, or in your case, pen-ink, diary!

Good night!”

I shut the diary and kept it in the front pocket of my backpack. I had been keeping my bag ready all the time so that I wouldn’t have to do last minute packing when I would really leave. I had divided all my clothes into two categories – ‘the home clothes’ and the ‘journey clothes’. I had already packed away my journey clothes which consisted of my favorite baggy jeans, a pair of t-shirts, my favorite gabardine anorak and some undergarments. I had even packed away a brand new set of toiletries. I was ready to leave at a minutes notice. But I had to still get the gym badge from here, set my score with Mrs. Kent and her snobby glameow, and of course wait for dad to return.

I was sitting at my writing desk with my head in my hands over the table. It was comfortable sitting there like that. I felt too tired to leave the table and go to bed only a foot away. Petalip was already asleep in a corner of my bed. As I watched him, he muttered something in his sleep and turned the other side. He seemed small in sleep. He was really getting better. I had doubted whether he would be strong fast enough to be able fight Farabi’s team with any chance of winning. He exceeded my expectations in that. He was determined to get stronger as fast as he could. Last couple of days I had to but drag him out of the forest; he had insisted on a one more battle all the time even after he was completely wasted.

After a while I unwillingly got myself up from the table, turned off the light and got to bed. I was tired as hell, but now annoyingly sleep was evading me. So I lay awake for almost an hour, thinking about the extraordinary experience that morning. It was really bugging me how Petalip had not realized a thing. I was sure that I had not imagined it. We were walking through the same trail that we had been following since day before yesterday when it happened. The Rattata that had challenged Petalip after losing to him once never showed up yesterday. We had waited almost an hour at the same spot, but in vain. I was all for letting it go. I was sure that the Rattata had chickened out, but Petalip had insisted that we go back just in case. He was afraid that the Rattata would turn up, and think Petalip a coward if we were not present there for the challenge. He could be so unnecessarily persistent sometimes. It was silly, it was childish, but I liked him that way. It gave him more personality.

I could not remember when I had fallen asleep. In my dreams I revisited the forest. I was walking with Petalip a few paces in front of me. I was aware that the earthquake thing was about to happen, and more interestingly, I was aware that I was dreaming. Petalip was walking solemnly as he had done this morning with no clue of what would be happening a few minutes later.
I stopped dead in my walk. I felt the urge to look for something – the missing clue, anything that might help me understand the situation. I felt tensed, I did not know why. I remembered what I had written in my diaries only a couple of hours back – the tremor like wave rings in water! If it was in rings, then of course it had a centre. I had a sudden urge to look for the centre. I tried to remember how it had happened. I was standing a pace back to the spot where I had stood in the forest this morning when it had happened. Suddenly I realized if I took another step the earth beneath me will start to rumble like before. I racked my brain to recall how the waves had come. As soon as I tried to put my thought to pinpoint the central position, my senses told me to look straight towards the dense set of trees. It was like someone else had told me where to look – the information came involuntarily. I obeyed the unseen commander, and squinted towards the trees trying to make any shape in the dark woods. Only cluttering bodies of tall trees impaired my vision. And then like before I sensed where to focus my gaze. I did, and there was something. I could not make out any specific shape or anything, but something was there. The sense was strong. I was having a tingling sensation in my feet. Like someone was trying to make me cautious of something – not a threat, rather a friendly warning.
I took a step forward, and the earth beneath me started to shake. My eyes were fixed at the spot where my ‘senses’ were telling me to look. Then out of nowhere there was a glint of green light. It started to glow, getting brighter every second, until the whole world was drenched in a freaky green aura. I was not in the woods anymore. I was not sure where I was. I was not even sure if was standing on the ground, or anything for that matter. I was only aware that there was me and the green light all around. Then a voice cried out through the pressing green, “VALUE THE BOND, human; it’s all that can save us now; VALUE THE BOND!” The light got intense until I could not take it anymore. I tried to shield my eyes, but I did not have any control over my body. I started to shout, and the sound rang through my nerves…

…and I woke up with a start. As my senses returned to me, I found myself sitting upright on my bed. I was soaked in my sweat. The room was completely dark, but my eyes still hurt from all the green light I was seeing seconds ago. I tried to remember what was in the dream, but it was quickly slipping away now. One thing remained to me - a voice. I could not characterize it, like it was not important how the voice was, sweet or aggressive, male or female. The only thing that mattered was the message it was trying to convey, and I had that. “Value the bond, human” it had said, and that the bond could save us now. Who was ‘them’ in the ‘us’, I did not know. But it was referring me as ‘human’ – that might mean that the owner of the voice was not human itself; a pokemon then? I have heard psychic pokemon to be able to channel their thoughts to others. Was it something similar?

Somehow I understood to what the ‘bond’ was referred – the bond between me and my pokemon. I looked over at my Petalip; that was the first time I thought it like that – ‘my Petalip’ – my friend, my partner, my brother. I gently pulled him towards me. He half awoke.

<What?> he asked in a sleepy voice, and without getting any answer fell back to sleep.

I smiled. If the bond was the savior, I was not worried. It was quite strong at the moment. Then again it was just a silly dream…

…or was it?

Okay, what could give you the easiest training ever?

I did not know the answer to that, but a swarm of stupid Kricketot in your backyard is close to the first spot in the list. That was what I had this evening. It was, interestingly, my mom’s idea. It had been raining hard all day, so we had missed our regular practice session in the morning. Forced to stay home, we felt disgruntled. Mom must have noticed that. Because in the evening when the rain had finally stopped, and we were considering to go out for a night stroll to have some training done, mom knocked at my door.

“Yes, mom?” I called.

“Umm….are you guys going out?” mom asked.

“Thinking over it,” I smiled, “why?”

She looked worried, “it’s getting dark, honey…”

“You do realize that in a week’s time we would be strolling through unknown forests filled with wild pokemon, not caring for the amount of available sunlight, don’t you mom?” I was getting wary with her motherly protection. In my agitation the information has come out a bit harshly.

Mom looked indignant, “no need to take that tone with me,” she said in pursed lips. Behind me Petalip nodded.

<You should not!> he shook his head. He was becoming putty in my mom’s affectionate hands.

“Sorry mom,” I smiled, trying to make things light.

She just looked at me for a while and then cheered up. “No, what I came to tell you is a swarm of Kricketot is ruining my berry patch. I have Repels on me, but if you would want to practice on them, I could save a bottle,” she sighed. “Don’t get why the Kents won’t stock up the Repels already; who wants to drive to PineGroove to get some?” she said to herself, and left my room.

“What do you think?” I asked Petalip.

<You should say sorry to her again, and this time more solemnly.>

I rolled my eyes, “No, the Kricketots I mean…”

<Oh, that?> he hopped out of the bed, <what’s to think about that? Let’s get going. I am tired of battling fur-balls…> he complained under his breath and stalked out of the room.

I smiled to myself. ‘The change in opponent should be cool,’ I thought. I took my pokedex from my study table, turned off the light in my room, and shut my bedroom door behind me before I took the stairs.

When I had got downstairs, mom was rummaging through the kitchen drawers. She looked up as I got to the landing. “We’ll be cleaning out the backyard for you, mom” I announced.

She brought a little aluminum bottle to me. “Keep it just in case,” she said as she handed me a bottle of Repel.

<Oh, we won’t be needing that!> piped Petalip.

“I know you won’t honey,” she said adoringly, patting Petalip’s head, “but Shaun might wet his pants if one of the Kricketot’s attack him in the face!”

They laughed. “Ha, ha,” I said sardonically, rolling my eyes.

I opened the back door and let myself out into the backyard. A bulb was glowing dimly in the shed; in its light the yard looked fresh after the rain, but still somewhat gloomy in the dark. Petalip came behind me with my mother.

“Have fun,” mom said, “I am keeping the door shut so that none of the bugs might stray inside,” with that she went inside closing the door behind her.

The atmosphere was silent bar the constant chirping of the Kricketots. Mom’s berry garden was in the very corner of the yard, and it was mostly dark there. I could not see the little bugs until I had walked very close to the bush. There, surely, was a swarm of at least a dozen of Kricketot. They were perched on the many branches of the shrubs, intently drinking the tree sap and the berry blossoms.

<Oi!> shouted Petalip at the intruders, <get away from here; you are ruining mom’s berries!>

The Kricketots ignored him completely. I was having a hard time figuring out their stubby tiny posture. Their dark red coat was almost blended with the dark of the night. The beige collar, on the contrary, stood out. I could not see their faces since they were hanging on the branches with their back on us.

When the shouting did not work, Petalip got mad. He rushed towards the closest Kricketot with his right arm held high and glowing as he charged up a pound attack. But even as the attack hit its mark, the bug did not budge. Instead it started to glow faintly. The lack of movement bemused me, but not Petalip. He soon landed another pound on the same spot. This time it was too much for the tiny pokemon, and it dropped itself to the ground like a dried up fruit, clearly out for count.

“What? It’s over already?” I was in disbelief.

But now I could see the Kricketot’s face, as it had landed on its back; its face upward towards us revealing two tiny, glinting black eyes, which looked like papaya seeds, and a cute brown button nose set on its red face. Its chest was the same beige as its collar, whereas its underbelly was again red. Its hands and feet were chubby, like small black balls. Its antennae stood out above everything, protruding from a brown bun on his head into thick black strings making a ‘U’ pattern, and ending in a tight curl. Even as it was out, the antennae kept vibrating involuntarily, issuing their trademark ‘xylophonic’ notes. It was the tiniest thing I’ve ever seen, though, admittedly, I have not seen many, yet.

As I scanned its little feature, I whipped open my dex as it droned on the entry for a Kricketot. It did not sound very appealing to me. I was wondering if I would fetch a pokeball from upstairs to catch one, but I decided on the contrary. I wanted my first real capture to be more than ordinary – not some bug that won’t even budge when attacked.

Petalip had already nailed three more and was going for a fourth. The stupid little bugs only sat still and glowed when attacked. I had heard about magikarp being the silliest pokemon when it came to battling. This Kricketot lot was giving magikarp a hard time in keeping the title. At least magikarp splash around, the Kricketot won’t even move. It was not until the sixth bug in a row that something happened. The kricetot lot started to panic. They started to shot around aimlessly in every direction making piercing creaking noises all the time.

<Now they notice,> guffawed Petalip.

<Why are you attacking us?> demanded a brave looking one.

<You are ruining our berries> Petalip replied.

<This is food; none has ever stopped us getting them> they whined.

“This is not a jungle; this is a private garden,” I tried to explain, “Please, go look for food elsewhere.”

<We won’t!> said the Kricketot boldly, <this is food, and we are free to eat it! We’ll fight if we have to!>

<Like you can!> mocked Petalip, <fine, if it’s a fight you want, a fight you will get!>

As Petalip moved towards them, the bold Kricketot came forward to face him. He was only half as tall as Petalip. It looked pitifully comical to me.
With no surprise this Kricketot, like its predecessors, turned very still and started to glow faintly when Petalip had landed a successful pound on him.

<Come on!> whined Petalip, <where did all the fight talk go?>

The Kricketot remained still, dead as a stone.

<Fine!> muttered Petalip, as he charged up another pound.

The new victim took the second hit as well, and now was glowing like the bulb in the shed.

As I watched the battle proceed, a sudden jolt of understanding hit me. I realized the meaning of all the staying still and glowing. Of course Kricketot could not be worse than a magikarp. I would have heard if they were. I tried to warn Petalip, but he was already running towards the motionless insect.
Not realizing the imminent danger, Petalip unwisely lunged with a third pound attack. Only this time he failed to touch his mark. The opponent Kricketot let out a shrill cry as its whole body got engulfed in bright light. The next second, the light condensed into a beam of energy and shot towards Petalip. Petalip was so taken aback by the abruptness of the attack that he even forgot to move, his glowing arm looked faint in contrast to the massive surge of energy.

I leapt towards Petalip with my hands stretched. I was able to push Petalip away just in time. The beam shot over our head, only slightly brushing Petalip on his crest feathers. But that was enough to throw him away a foot from my grasp.

As the beam died out, darkness fell on the yard again.

<Huh, take that birdy!> hushed the Kricketot, albeit tiredly.

Behind us, the back door burst open, as mom came running towards us. Both I and Petalip were on the ground.

“What happened?” she shrieked, as she came running towards us. She picked up Petalip and then hurried to me.

“It’s nothing, mom!” I tried to calm her down, “it’s just that Kricketot pulled off a ‘bide’ attack, and we were too slow to realize it.”

I got up brushing the dirt away from my shirt. Petalip was glaring at the Kricketot dispassionately from my mother’s arms.

“Oh, it’s my fault,” cried mom, “I never should have put you onto this.”
“It’s nothing,” I repeated.

“Let’s just spray the Repel, and go inside,” suggested mom.

<No> declared Petalip, and squirmed his way out of my mother’s hold. He leapt and landed in front of the Kricketot, which now was eying Petalip carefully.

“What do you mean by, ‘no’, Petalip?” my mom got stern. “You are hurt, and you need to rest!”

<No> Petalip rejected boldly.

I sighed. There he went again. “You have not seen this side of Petalip, mom. He gets really stubborn when he has to protect his honor,” I conveyed to her.

“But it’s dangerous,” she protested in a little voice, and then let it go. “Like trainer, like pokemon” she sighed. Her comment struck me…like trainer, like pokemon…huh?

Petalip was in another world now. I saw his arm glowing white, steadily increasing in intensity, until it shone brighter than the bulb overhead – he was charging to his fullest! He ran towards the Kricketot, which tried to evade unsuccessfully. The little bug had already taken two attacks; the third proved to be overwhelming for it as it slumped on the ground all beat up.

The Kricketot swarm was intently watching the battle. As their comrade fell, they got all panicky again. ‘Flee….Run….Call the Boss….’ They all shrieked as they dashed in every direction calling different suggestions, hitting each other in the commotion.

<Call the boss!> they agreed upon it. I wondered who the ‘boss’ was.

As if to answer my query, they all settled down. At first I thought they were just posing still, but then I noticed that they were all humming in unison, their many antennae vibrated in harmony, and soon the sound started to hurt my ears. I was wondering if I should just spray the Repel and be done with it, but then they suddenly stopped. The air was silent one moment; the next, a buzzing sound took over. It was coming from a distance. I thought it felt like the sound of a bug beating its wings. But it sounded stronger than a Kricketot.

After a brief tense moment, during which we kept looking at the direction of the approaching buzz, and the Kricketot swarm kept their eyes fixed on us, the ‘boss’ finally arrived. As it slowly descended from the darkness into the light, I took in its features.

It was not another Kricketot, but undoubtedly related to them. It had the same dark red, brown and gray in its body. At almost thrice in height to a Kricketot, it stood before its gang overshadowing them all. Its wings were slender, a dark gray with pointed tips. It had two beige stripes running down its body. Where the Kricketot had no neck at all, this bug had a long spindly one attached to a body shaped like an eggplant. Its eyes were bigger, oval, and a shiny gray in color with dark pupils. The antennae it had as a Kricketot has fell, fully rotated, over its mouth making its feelers. The antennae it had now instead were long, thin and segmented just like its arms. The whole get-up reminded me of a music conductor in a cape. It even had the same aura of professionalism about it.

‘A Kricketune’ I mused. ‘Typical! Who gets to lead a bunch of wayward Kricketot? – a Kricketune does!’ But then I panicked. Kricketune was a fully evolved pokemon. It was one thing to sweep the floor with a swarm of Kricketot who boldly refused to use any move but bide, but facing a Kricketune with who knew what move-pool at hand was a completely different story.

<What seems to be the problem, pupils?> asked the larger bug in a harsh, heavy voice.

<This lot won’t let us eat in peace> they complained.

<Why not?> the Kricketune wondered, shifting its glance on us.

<They are saying it’s their land or something, and we are not welcome here!> they chorused.

The big bug turned to us now. <Is it true?> it demanded.

Petalip stepped forward to reply. <Yes, it is true. This is our home, and mom works hard on those berry plants. You can not just come here and take them> he said rather boldly. With his crest feathers held upright in fury, it was almost as tall as Kricketune.

<But the berries here are really good – big and juicy!> the Kricketot whined.
“Why? Thank you!” mom exclaimed in spite of herself. Everyone raised an eye at her, and she blushed.

<If it’s really your home, then we should not have trespassed> said the Kricketune, <but that is no reason for you to hurt our family.>

“We only attacked because they were not budging, not even after we had told them to leave,” I tried to reason.

<Whatever the reason, you should not have attacked my friends!> the big bug was suddenly raging.

<Fight, fight, fight!> the Kricketot lot chorused. It was very funny how the tiny bugs acted like an angry mob – it seemed so out of their character that I smiled in spite of the seriousness of the situation.

My smile faded as soon as it came as I saw their ‘boss’ readied itself responding to its subordinates. It hold out its sword like arms one above the other, crisscrossing each other in a menacing way.

“It looks like we are outmatched, Petalip,” I tensed. He did not say anything, only nodded.

“Should we use the Repel, and run for it?” I asked in an attempted-joking manner. I wondered if I could keep it light, he might sidestep his honor for once, and do the right thing – run away.

<No, we fight!>

Who was I kidding?

I sighed. “You realize this is the strongest opponent we have faced till now? We have no idea how strong this Kricketune is!”

<We fight anyway!> his eyes were locked on the big insect, which despite of its composed attire, looked positively alarming.

“Fine,” I was suddenly into the game. If Petalip wouldn’t give up, what other choice did I have?

“Let’s start with leer,” I suggested.

Petalip nodded and then glared at Kricketune, with its eyes glowing green. As he tried to thrash the bug with his stare, Kricketune smiled lazily. The darkness of the night made it hard to notice it first, but then when I did notice, a chill ran down my spine.

Kricketune was glowing in an ominous way, radiating a dark purplish aura. But the horrifying part was every few seconds Petalip also glowed the same way; only, as he glowed, part of the aura surrounding him flew towards Kricketune making its stock larger. The effect it had on Petalip was too much to bear. He was wincing every time with the steady loss of his energy. But even through it all he tried to keep the ‘leer’ attack active.

I had a shrewd idea on what was going on, but to be sure I flipped open my pokedex. Once it had identified Kricketune, I swiftly rummaged through its attacks. I did not have to look long, because in the middle of my search, the dex automatically apprehended my query, and hollered – ‘Leech Life – a bug type attack. The user drains the foe’s energy while energizing itself in the process.’ I had guessed that much.

Then the full impact of what was going on hit me. Kricketune was a bug itself, thus making the bug-type attack more powerful. But then Petalip was a grass type pokemon. This made the transition of energy like water heading in a downward stream towards a fall. Kricketune was taking it all so easily, and Petalip had no way to resist. I felt so helpless at that moment; the scarcity of attack option was killing me.

‘I have to act, and fast,’ I told myself trying to keep my calm. “Petalip pound it!” I shouted, praying that he had enough energy left to make a hit.
At my words, Petalip moved in a sudden, swift motion, breaking the channel of energy in the process, and ran towards Kricketrune with a glowing arm squealing out a pitchy battle-cry, “Petaaaa….!”

Kricketot, luckily for us, did not move out in time, and Petalip’s pound hit him. I did not think it would do much to it, but it buckled as it tried to break its fall from the impact. The ‘leering’ must have had its way through its defenses.

It recovered quicker than we thought though. And the next moment Petalip was being sliced up in swift, fluid slashes of its sharp scythes. Petalip was visibly straining.

“Dodge it!” I cried, but he was too tired to move and evade the attacks.
‘Fury cutter’ the dex buzzed, ‘another bug type attack. The user slashes the opponent with claws or scythes. Attack power increases with each successful hit.’

It was a nightmare. If the Kricketot was not draining away Petalip’s energy, it was retaliating with another effective offensive move.

“Return Petalip!” I shouted holding up the pokeball. But even as the red beam approached him, he jumped out of the way, making the beam to miss its mark, as well as that of an incoming scythe.

<NO> he growled, <we see this to the end!>

“But you are not just…” my voice trailed away, as the powerful Kricketot started yet another successful series of fury cutter. Petalip too weak to move now could only take the hits head on. ‘Bide’ did not seem to be a soft option at this point, only Petalip did not know how to use it.

“You are not ready for this!” my voice broke from the scream.

<Yes, I am> Petalip said with a tired, but determined voice. He leapt back evading an attack from Kricketune, and landed in front of me.

He was clearly pushing himself too far. I did not know what to do with him.
Even as I watched him, he faltered on his knees. Trying to hold up his weight, he panted, <Must not give up…must not…> and then without warning green flames erupted from his body.

‘It must have something to do with the Kricketot’ I thought wildy. But I was wrong. The green burst of flames lasted only for a second, but when it died out, Petalip looked charged up. His eyes were not drooling from exhaustion anymore, they were fierce with anticipation. And though he was panting hard, his many injuries looked bad as ever, he was smirking. I did not understand any of it.

‘Petalip has activated ‘overgrow’ – its special ability’ informed dex. Even with all that was going on, I could not help but wonder how the dex was acting on its free accord. And I could not help but feel a bit relived that something positive was finally happening. But the good news did not end there.

To my immense surprise and elation, Petalip jumped as the Kricketune tried another ‘leech life’. I only saw the stream of energy flew up to where Petalip was a second ago, and not finding its mark faded out in the air. Overhead Petalip suddenly tugged his hands inside his gown and yanked them towards the Kricketune. As he did so, a barrage of sharp leaves shot towards the insect. Kricketune was not ready for this. It only stared in awe as the leaves hit it on its face turning the expression on it from surprise to pain.

‘A critical hit’ commented the dex. I was dancing inside. Petalip had finally learnt razor leaf - a long distance move. This was already a victory for me.
As Petalip landed on the ground, I ordered another razor-leaf attack. He nodded and yanked out yet another set of razor sharp leaves. The Kricketune was ready this time. With the precision of a master swordsman, it blocked almost all the leaves with its swords of scythes. Only a few leaves managed to found their mark. It did not do much to him. It kept its silent pose and glared at us, then like Petalip before it, purple flames suddenly erupted from its lanky posture. They danced around the stiff body for a while before dying away, only leaving a triumphant smirk on Kricketunes face.

‘Kricketune has activated ‘swarm’ – its special ability’ declared the dex yet again. I did not know what swarm did to the possessor. I had only learned about the special abilities of the three starter pokemon before I had headed out for PineGroove. So I checked it out in the dex. From what I read, it was the bug version of the starters’ ability. That was bad news. It meant we were evened out. But then we were never even to begin with. Kricketot, being a bug, was hitting with double the power all the time causing double the damage to Petalip since he was grass type.

My joyous mood abruptly changed into a panicked one. Over the other side, Kricketune seemed to have realized that it had the upperhand again. It shot back its black wings, and hovered a few inches in the air, its wings beating hard to keep it airborne. Then, raising its sharp sword-like arm straight towards Petalip, it shot in a sudden burst of energy. Petalip tried to duck at my screaming order to dodge. But Kricketune’s scythe caught him in the chest, and he was blown away.

Kricketune landed where Petalip was a moment ago, coolly observing Petalip as he tried to raise his body, but could hardly lift his head. I ran to him and helped him to his feet.

<You fought bravely young one!> declared Kricketune. <We honor your courage> it paused, and beckoned at the band of Kricketots who all were silently observing their leader in an awed worshipful manner. <We will leave your land in peace.>

With that the Kricketune walked over to Petalip. I tensed, but it only stretched its arm towards Petalip. Petalip looked at it for a moment, then smiled, took its spindly hand in his own leafy one, and shook.

The Kricketune’s swarm flew away as we watched them go from our shed. When they were not visible anymore in the dark, I shifted my glance towards Petalip. He was positively battle worn, but looked content. As he met my gaze, I smiled.

<What a night!> he sighed.

“But you learned Razor-leaf!” I cheered as I remembered, jumping joyfully, and started on my victory dance. Petalip looked at me incredulously for a moment, and then broke in a peal of laughter.

***​

shac

Chapter-6

“Shaun, it’s for you!” Shaun’s mom called from downstairs. She had just answered the phone.

“Who is it?” Shaun called back. He was slumped on his bed, his legs dangling from the side. I had perched myself on one of his pillows. I just love this cuddly thing – what an ingenious invention for relaxation!!

“It’s a boy; I did not ask for a name, honey,” mom half shouted from the kitchen.

“Okay,” Shaun got up with an effort and the left the room grumping slightly, “I am coming.”

We had just returned from yet another practice session cut short by a sudden downpour. I guess it could not be classified ‘sudden’ anymore. It had been raining most hours now. We both like the rain. But the deprivation from steady practice sessions was becoming annoying.

I could hear Shaun talking over the phone downstairs from here – no distinguishable sound, only jumbled noises. But from what I heard, he seemed excited over something. I was slowly getting droopy. The rain thrumming on the glass of the window pane was quite soothing. The noise was like an enchanted lullaby – it made falling asleep that much easier.
I had almost drifted into a sleep when Shaun came back into the room. He was looking very excited indeed. He had run up the stairs, and so was a bit red in the face. Panting slightly he came over to me as I tried to fight back the sleep.

“Good news buddy!” he smiled.

“wot…!” I muttered sleepily.

“Farabi’s going out of town! He just called. Apparently Nurse Joy had told him about me. So he called in to congratulate me, for you, you know… And guess what?” he was almost hopping with excitement.

“wot…!” I was still sleepy, but Shaun did not seem to care.

“We’ve got ourselves a gym date!” he threw his hands in the air, ‘how exciting is that?”

I was coming out of my reverie now. So he had been talking to the gym leader, Farabi, and had settled on a date for gym battle too

<When?> I asked.

“It’s on the 15th, that’s three days from now,” he sounded breathless. His eyes glittered like he could picture the battle already.

<But we had not caught any other pokemon yet!> I exclaimed.

Shaun raised an eye, “I thought you said you could take on both of Farabi’s pokemon alone!” he teased.

<Yeah, I could, of course…> I trailed away.

Shaun smiled, “yeahhh….we’ll have to get ourselves a new team-mate, won’t we?” he looked thoughtful, “but I do believe you can take down Farabi alone if you have to.”

I did feel stronger now that I had razor-leaf under my belt, or gown, for that matter. But I could not pretend that the battle with the Kricketune a couple of days ago had not shaken my confidence. It had not been properly acknowledged, but I had clearly lost that battle. I had been harboring under the belief that I was the strongest pokemon around. I had been silly to the extreme thinking like that, of course, but when you start with fighting premature climballs and cowardly rattatas, you just go on thinking stuff that’s over your head.

Luckily, I had been awoken from the dream! I had been practicing really hard after that. I had perfected my pound, but razor leaf still needed work. The leaves that I was producing were still not that powerful. Shaun had, habitually, consulted his pokedex and now we knew that the leaves would get stronger with me – the stronger I was, so was my attack. Well, I guess that was obvious. But then I had discovered that sometimes I would lose focus when I was too tired, and in such circumstances the leaves suddenly lost acceleration, thus not providing the expected effect. It was like before – with pound – a new challenge of perfecting my attack; I was rather enjoying working on it.

The rain was receding into a vapory mist now. That was the second time that we had come home being dejected by an untimely downpour to get some good news over the phone. The last time it had been Shaun’s dad who had called in to say that he would be home a day early. Apparently he had some surprise for Shaun, and had insisted, again, that we did not leave Newseed till he arrived. Then as I did the counting in my head, I realized….

<That’s the day your father arrives too!> I exclaimed.

“Yeah,” he nodded. From his looks he had already done the math.

<But then we could be leaving the very next day!> I cheered. I did not know why, but I was also getting impatient being stuck at home.

“We would still need to face Mrs. Kent and her…”

<snooty Myanmar, or whatever she calls that prissy missy….yeah, I know. But still, how long might the battle take? We could deal with it on our way out of the town!>

“Yeah, I suppose we could…” Shaun shrugged. “But first thing’s first,” he mumbled, “we will have to catch a pokemon today, and start training harder if we are to have any decent chance at winning against Farabi.”

He looked out of the window. “The rain’s stopped, finallyI” he sighed, “good thing too!" and then turned towards me, “Let’s make a deal, we will have a new member in the team today, no matter what!”

<Deal!> I smiled.

*****​

The sun had finally broken through the gloomy patches of clouds. Everything, newly washed, glittered in the warm ray. We were walking along a different route today. Instead of doing deeper towards the Newseed forest, we were heading towards Route-101 now. This was due to a recommendation from Farabi.

I, myself was not very familiar with the places around here. I had only seen this area while passing through, from the window of a bus or from my father’s jeep. But we had never actually scourge through this place. So it was all a bit new to me. But the change in practice ground was welcoming. Around here the trees were packed with bird pokemon. Canry was the commonest of them all, of course. Here in Rainden, one could hardly find a place with ample amount of nesting ground and no Canry in there. Here, in the junction between Route-101 and Newseed, pidgey was also quite common. In fact if you would leave a bowl of pokemon chow in your porch on a sunny morning here, pidgeys would most definitely arrive to treat themselves. Canrys, on the other hand, were more cautious. They always keep their distance from human.

Today, however, our first encounter turned out to be a Canry. We had just entered the denser part of the grassland. Here the trees were not so tall, and their branches were wide casting outspreaded shadows underneath. There was constant chirping noise in the air – the dull cheep of the pidgey, the sharp twitter of the Canry were the most pronounced. Every now and then some unknown shrill cry could also be heard.

After walking for almost twenty minutes out of the main road, we approached a barren broken down old building. This used to be a hay farm, until the owner moved away leaving none to look after the place. Now it stood as a solitary monument in the wild, crestfallen. The wooden walls and the wooden roof were all covered in moss. Weeds had grown in plenty around the building. The sheds were broken down into mere planks. A wooden fence surrounded the whole structure, which was as shabby as the building it was supposed to protect, broken down in a few places, ivy twisting and twirling through it all. Despite of the, now full, sun overhead, there was a gloomy aura about this place. A strong sense of foreboding worked on us.

“Creepy. Eh?” I asked petalip. He was walking by my side.

<Creepy> he agreed.

Farabi had suggested us to look for this place. Two manmade trails ran in two different directions from here. We were to take the barely recognizable path to the left. So we walked past the battered wooden fence and took the rickety muddy path.

The jungle was peaceful here. The trees were not big enough to block out the sun, instead they were bushier. Some unknown wild flower made the air dense with narcotic scent. I started to breathe slow and deep. I could not help but felt happy. Petalip seemed to be feeling cheerful too. He was skipping while walking in a childish manner. But he was a child, I thought. The again the way he behaved sometimes made me wonder if he really was not aging unnaturally fast. It had only been five days till I got him for crying out loud.

Ten minutes through the trail brought us to a nice clearing. It was a small bushland, smaller than a baseball field. Grass grew wild and tall in places. Berry trees had grown in an undisciplined scattering. There, in an Oran berry shrub we found the Canry. It was dozing, completely unaware of us. It had perched itself under a particularly leafy branch, probably in order to hide itself while it was sleeping; but if that was indeed the purpose, it did not work since its bright lemon-yellow feathers easily stood out. I wondered if someone standing even a quarter mile away would miss it in here with nothing so bright around.

I took out my dex, and as soon as it had detected Canry, it provided the installed information on it – “Canry, the twitter pokemon. Normal/flying type. These little bird pokemon are often taken as pets due to their beautiful feathers. It loves to sing, and does so all day if left alone.”

It sure had beautiful feathers, and it looked cute and cuddly – hardly a fighter type. Its body was shaped like a large lemon with a round head and no neck. Its beak with a blunt tip was small and of a bright orange color. A large spot on its chest was also orange, and so was the tip of its wings and its pointy little almost-no tail. Its underbelly was a creamy white, which was hardly distinguishable from the rest of its yellow body. I could not see its eyes, but they were big and had long lashes. All in all a cute tiny pokemon, only not like one I had in mind to have in my roster.

<It’s sleeping> petalip whispered.

“Yeah, I can see that,” I whispered back.

<Do we awake it or what?>

“Err….” I did not know if it would be decent to do that, “let’s go look for something else…”

<And what are we looking for?> asked a new voice from behind us. We turned around to see another Canry. It was flapping its wings to remain airborne, and the effort seemed to be tiring it out.

<We’re looking for someone to join our team> Petalip answered for me.

<What team?> it asked as it flew to the same berry tree and positioned itself on a branch.

“Err…a team to fight in battles, you know, with pokemon? Have you not heard about pokemon trainers?” I was wondering how to explain myself.

“Oh, okay…pokemon training team. No, I asked because many people come around here to get one of us, you know,” it straightened out its wing feathers, “just last week we had a team from a singing school or something like that here. They came to get a Canry to represent their choir team, you know. We are pretty good singers!” it ended with a proud huff.

<Okay, but what about battling?> petalip asked.

The Canry seemed to be taken aback by the question. <We do not fight> it said <fighting is not a good thing to do; what if you damage your voice or something> it exclaimed in worry.

<Silly bird!> petalip shook his head. I chuckled to myself. <Let’s go look for someone not afraid of damaging their singing career> he said in an undertone so that only I could hear. I nodded and turned to head further into the grassy arena.

<But wait!> cried the canry, it came flying to us. <I have never battled myself, but I heard it’s fun> it said breathlessly.

“Yeah,” I prompted.

<So, I was wondering if you would battle me, just for the fun of it> she said cautiously.

I looked at Petalip. He shrugged. “Okay,” I agreed.

<So, how do we do it?> asked the Canry.

<We attack each other however we can and try to tire the other out> Petalip summarized the procedure.

<Got it> Canry chirped back. Its voice sounded shrilly with excitement.
Petalip and Canry rounded off in a small patch where the weeds had not grown too long. The sky overhead has almost cleared of clouds. The sun was bright and the air was quite warm.

Petalip took his battle stance. Canary perched itself on a long of stalk of grass on the other side.

“Let’s start strong,” I suggested, “Razor-leaf!”

Petalip nodded and hopped a little while tugging his hands under his gown. He yanked several razor sharp leaves out of his gown and shot them at the yellow bird. Canry was soon airborne as it tried to dodge the attack. But a leaf caught its feet and it kind of fumbled in the air and did a black flip to steady itself. It scrutinized petalip for a second and then opened its beak, gushing in air in a long inhale. The air was suddenly thick with a dull noise as Canry unleashed a volley of sound waves. The waves came in gradually growing rings toward Petalip. Petalip tried to escape by diving to his left, only the rings were too big for him to completely evade them. Waves after waves of sound washed over Petalip’s body.

For a moment I did not get what had happened, and then petalip unsteadily walked ahead, tripped and fell over. He, however, got to his feet soon, and I refrained myself from going over to help him. He did not like being physically helped when in a battle, so he has told me after the incident with the Kricketot swarm.

But something was definitely wrong, because Petalip started to wobble like a toddler in its first walk, headed straight towards a bush, got bumped on the stem and fell over again. From the other side of the clearing Canry was chuckling apparently enjoying itself. It was clearly not an expert battler. Any pokemon with a little battle experience would take the advantage of a foe who was acting all gaga.

I hesitated for a moment, and then ran over to help Petalip on his feet, worrying about what was going on. I racked my brain for what a sound-base move might do to produce such an effect. I had given quite an effort to literate myself on pokemon training through internet journals and wikis once I decided on my goal. It was mostly on the starter pokemon, their attacks, and the gym leaders – and once I had stumbled on the gym leaders, I just could not help going over and over again through the many highly exciting extreme-sport adventures of Gordon Hale. Now I wished I had spent a little less time on ‘Hales expedition to Mt. Coronet’, and a bit more time on pokemon attacks.

Even as I reached for petalip, he looked at me. I got tensed to see that his eyes were all out of focus. I realized that he was confused; then it must have been….I took out my dex, and as soon as it has scanned the proceedings, it whirred in a robotic voice – ‘Petalip is confused due to the effect of the move SuperSonic.’

‘SuperSonic,’ I whispered to myself. I did not know what might cancel the effect. I wish I had bought some medicines. I felt really foolish just standing there doing nothing. “Try to shake it off!” I murmured. Petalip shook his head vigorously as if to try to blow out something that was stuck to his head, only to fall down again in the process.

Canry was in hysterics with laughter. I shot a dirty look at it, and begged Petalip to get up.

“Try to use Razor leaf!” I prayed that it would work.

Petalip, though still seemed out of it, tugged his hands inside his gown and let out the stream of leaves. Canry was so busy laughing its head off that it did not notice the attack until the leaves hit it one after another. The little bird stumbled and fell over on the grassy bed underneath, clearly fainted. I sighed in relief. Petalip seemed to have regained his focus too.

<Silly birds!> he spat.

<Umm, may I battle too?> asked a tiny voice from behind us. We turned to find the canry that we first saw here had woken up. <That seemed to be a fun thing!> it chirped.

<What? Falling down head first from a tree?> asked Petalip bitterly, his arms crossed over his chest in an angry manner.

<Oh, no, not that. He was not paying attention> piped the Canry, <I would, I promise.>

<Yeah, you will, won’t you?> jeered Petalip.

<So, we fight?> asked Canry tentatively.

<Sure, sure, bring it on!>

“If this canry try SuperSonic too, make sure to dodge,” I suggested in an undertone. Petalip nodded and smiled.

And sure enough, no sooner had the battle started the Canry was inhaling deeply. Petalip dodged the SuperSonic attack smoothly and let out a razor leaf attack. On the opposite side of the arena, The Canry was prepared too. It was soon airborne and the leaves missed it by inches.

“Try to leer down its defense, Petalip!”

And as Petalip glared at the flying Canry, it looked nervous. The leer was taking effect. It soon started to inhale; only we had already seen that game. Petalip dodged again easily. But then without warning the Canry was shrieking an earsplitting shriek. This sound was too much to bear. It was not like the SuperSonic attack before – dull and exhorting; it was painful and loud. I clapped my palms over my ears, trying to protect my ear drum. Beside me, Petalip followed suit.

‘Shriek attack – a sound based move that highly diminishes opponent’s defenses’ dex announced. It was weird how it kept providing tidbits on its own, but it sure was helpful.

“Try a razor leaf to shut it down!” I cried over the deafening shriek.
Petalip dug his legs to the ground, steadying himself. The shrieking attack was coming in invisible blows trying to throw out Petalip from his stance. With the greatest effort it had cost him till now, he brought out the leaves and yanked them at the shrieking Canry. The little bird noticed the charging leaves; but in between switching to dodging from attacking, it got all hasty and ended up taking a few leaves on its face. Luckily for us, that was enough to bring it down to the ground. Petalip, meanwhile had charged up a pound, and was running towards the falling prey. As soon as the Canry was within his reach, he tugged hard with Pound, and Canry moaned as it fainted too.
<You are powerful!> praised the Canry who went up first against us. It had come back to its senses while we were battling, and now was watching us with reverence in its eyes.

“Thanks!” I murmured for Petalip.

<May I battle now?>

<Me too!>

<And me!>

<Then ME!>

A dozen of Canry suddenly appeared from who knew where. I only noticed that the grassland all around was suddenly thick with yellow feathered birds.

<Me three!> cried another voice. I turned, expecting another Canry, but it was not. Instead it was a different little bird pokemon. It was a few inches taller than the Canry, but quite as plump. The feathers on its back were a muddy brown, while those on its belly and throat were a yellowish cream. Its beak and feet were a grayish pink, and it had black markings around its eyes.
‘Pidgey’ provided the dex, though I already knew it, and droned on, ‘Pidgey does not like to fight. It hides in tall grass and so on, foraging for food such as small bugs.’

‘This one’s odd then,’ I thought to myself. But then another half dozen more pidgey flew in to join the queue. I was awed. “Get your facts right!” I snapped at the dex.

The result was the next two hours we were continually fighting little birds. None of them proved to be real challenge though. A few Canry showed that besides SuperSonic and Shriek, they were able to throw out ‘Uproar’, yet another sound based move – as the dex let us know in no time - and worse so, because it was an offensive move, meaning that unlike Shriek and SuperSonic, Uproar could tire you down.

With the first Canry to use uproar, Petalip took quite a beating. The attack seemed to last for quite sometime once started. But then I noticed that, once starting with uproar, the Canry became an easy prey since it could hardly shift to anything else while at it. The battle became easy again after that.

The Pidgey flock, on the other hand, battled in a complete different manner. Their strategy was to make Petalip loose his focus by using ‘sand attack’ and then they would follow with ‘gust’ to put Petalip down. ‘Gust’ proved to be the toughest challenge yet. Not only it kept tossing Petalip like a balloon caught in a hurricane, but it also rendered razor leaf useless since the strong gust could effortlessly throw the leaves back at Petalip. So we had to heavily rely on dodging and pounding till we got our way through the feathery wings of those darn Pidgey.

With the last Pidgey, I was deliberate to give battling a rest. Petalip looked positively exhausted. He might be strong, but surely was not that strong to take five gusts on his face and still prepared to take more. But Petalip’s stubbornness got better of my cautions; yet again; and soon he was facing the last pidgey of the flock.

“Alright,” I assented grouchily, “but next time we come to practice remind me to pay a visit to Mrs. Kent’s first!”

<We will only go meet that lady when we are ready to give her snooty
Glameow a good beating!> hissed Petalip. I shook my head. This was getting really absurd.

And it started. Soon Petalip was hopping and bouncing to dodge the gushing wind blast. Even as I watched him his pace kept getting slower until a gust attack successfully hit its mark. Petalip rolled over to a dead lump of wood that was lying around, and with a sickening thump collided with it. I ran over to his limp body, taking out his pokeball, thinking that he was all out. But before I had reached him, he shakily got up to his feet again. And then for the second time this week, his body burst into green flames.

“Overgrow,” I whispered beside myself.

Only this time the flames did not die out after a while like the last time. Petalip smiled a crooked smile, and suddenly the green flames intensified into a beam of green energy. With a flicker of his eyes, Petalip threw the bendy beam towards the pidgey, who was startled by the sudden change in events. The green beam lassoed Pidgey. As soon as the binding was done, Pidgey shrieked in pain. The little bird was being shocked in a burst of red light, as the hold got tighter. Petalip closed his eyes and slowly the many bruises that he had collected throughout the last couple of hours slowly vanished.

‘MegaDrain – a nutrient draining attack’ churred away dex in his lifeless voice. I felt elated. There, the problem was solved as soon as it turned to be one. If petalip had megadrain at his disposal, we might save a visit to Mrs. Kent till later.

When Petalip had drawn out enough energy from the struggling pidgey, it plummeted on the ground, its eyes all out of focus. Even with the euphoria of the sudden victory, I could not but feel sorry for the pidgey. The way megadrain worked, reminded me of the leech-life attack the Kricketune had used on Petalip. There was something wrong with these moves. The way they took away energy from the foe was not quite right. I made a mental note not to use the new attack unless in case of emergency.
I walked over to Petalip and patted him on the head. “Great job, buddy!” I praised. He smiled proudly.

“What do you say to a little break now?” I asked. He nodded and slumped back on the ground, leaning on the dead stump. I sat beside him. All the battle worn birds were tending to themselves. As I pulled out the packet of pokechow from my backpack, the flock sniffed expectantly. I smiled and threw a handful of grubs towards them. The thanked and dug in.
I handed the packet to Petalip, and got myself a sandwich that mom had made me this morning.

As we ate, we discussed our battles and strategies.

“Nice save with the megadrain there!”

<Yeah, it got too close, didn’t it?>

“Interesting how all the new moves are coming every time you are activating overgrow.”

<hmm…>

“So what do you think?”

<About what?>

I nudged towards the flock of birds busy eating now, “Anyone seems striking as a fighter?”

<Oh, that!> he gulped down another handful of pokechips, threw some more to the birds, and said, <Well, the last pidgey was something. His gust was strong, and it hurt pretty bad.>

“Only because you were tired from all the battles before that!” I rolled my eyes.

Petalip s******ed contently and nodded. <That’s true!>

Neither of us considered the canry flock. They were annoying with their tricky sound-moves, but other than that they had not shown much potency. Once one had gotten past their silly shrieks and cries, and it was quite easy to do that, there did not remain much to them. They might grow into stronger pokemon, I considered, but we just did not have the time to train them into one before the planned gym battle date.

<What are you talking about?> one of the pidgey had drifted to us.

“We are looking for a new member in our team, you know?” I replied.

<Yeah? For what?> the pidgey seemed expectant.

<For battling and stuff…> Petalip said looking a bit uncomfortable. I could tell that the pidgey did not actually meet his demand of a team mate. To be honest it neither did mine. I felt ashamed to think like that. I knew, given the chance every pokemon could turn out into a perfect battler. ‘It’s just because we do not have the time’ I assured myself.

<Like we just did?> asked the pidgey innocently. Weren’t they supposed to avoid battles? ‘Who put those dex entries?’ I wondered.

“They get lot worse after a while!” I tried t fend the little bird off. Petalip smiled understanding my intentions.

<Yeah, a lot worse that this!> he added fuel.

<Ohh!> pidgey exclaimed. Our ‘act’ seemed to have done its job. <Well, I liked the battle we had earlier, so…> but it was going to say we never found out because right at that moment the air disintegrated by a booming thunderclap. ‘GROOOOOM!’ it went.

We jumped in shock. The flock of bird was vanished in seconds, their panicked chirps echoing in the air.

We instinctively started to run the way we had come through. Soon rain had started to fall in thick drops. It grew in pace within minutes, and we were literally drowned into a torrential downpour. Thunder cracked overhead every few minutes, shocking our heart out in the process. The wind turned into a strong gust. The trees swayed dangerously threatening to crash us to our untimely death.

‘Of all the rotten luck!’ I thought as I ran, ‘the storm had to come at this time, and then without any warning!’

“Get back in your pokeball!” I cried over the wind which threatened to throw me off my feet any moment.

<NO!> Petalip shouted back. I obeyed partially because Petalip would get mad if I had not, but mostly because I was afraid to slow down to do the whole ‘returning’ thing. I scooped up petalip from the ground, gripped him firmly in my holds, and ran for our dear lives.

We had almost reached the old farm house when it happened. I could see the outline of the shabby structure through the rain, and thinking that it would at least provide us with some shelter from the rain, ran harder through the now muddy trail. But then another thunder cracked and it hit the trunk of a tree just a few paces ahead of us. I have never experienced such panic. I skidded to a halt and stood frozen. If the thunder had stricken only a foot aside, it could have hit me; if I was only a few paces ahead the tree could have crashed onto us! Fear and panic run through my spine rooting me to the spot.

<Run, Shaun, run!> cried Petalip from my arms.

I recovered at the sound of his voice. The tree trunk was not very thick. I shifted petalip to one arm and with my free arm rode over the fallen trunk. But even as we started to run again, a moaning sound drifted to us. It was coming from the tree. Someone, obviously a pokemon, was stuck in there. I ran back to the spot. As we reached the tree, petalip freed himself from my arms and dived into the bushy branches.

<Here!> he cried only after a second, and I ran to him. I could not see properly through all the rain and the leaves and the broken branches.

“What is it?” I shouted over the sound of howling wind.

<I am not sure!> Petalip cried back. He emerged from the leafy mess and pointed at a half broken thick branch. <We have to pull it up to let it out!>
I got hold of the branch and pulled it with all my strength. Petalip came to my aid. The branch itself was not that heavy, but it was the way it was stuck underneath a few more branches that made the whole job a lot more difficult for us. Petalip scrutinized the situation for a bit and then used pound to break a few branches. After that the branch came out easily as we pulled at it. Just as the branch was loosened, something flew out in a whoosh into the woods. It was gone even before I had dropped the branch.

“Did you see who we saved?” I asked Petalip. He shook his head. Whatever it was, it was not too hurt or it would not have been able to fly off like that. That was relief enough for that moment. As soon as we were done rescuing, I got Petalip in my arms and resumed my escaping run.

We were inside the fences of the farm in no time after that. The yard was lengthier than it seemed from outside. But in a few long paces we were inside the almost empty barn house. The thunderous sound of the rain eased as soon as we were inside. We were completely drenched, and we were shaking from the chill. Unluckily we had no other clothes on us.

“Let’s start a fire,” I suggested. I rummaged through my backpack. The content seemed to have escaped the rain due to the plastic cover. I found a small gas-lighter in one of the many pockets and Petalip heaped some dry planks. The fire took some time to start. Only smoke was issuing at first. Petalip fanned at the smoke with his gown and the logs steadily caught fire. In ten minutes we had ourselves a nice crackling fire. I took off my shirt, rinsed it off and spread it over a plank to be dried. We were not talking much. The rain was still coming down heavily outside - we could tell by the sound of it.

After a while of silence Petalip yawned broadly. I was feeling pretty tired and relaxed too at that moment, what with all the running and worrying, both my body and my mind were wasted. I yawned too, and soon had drifted of to sleep.

Here goes chapter-6, hope you enjoyed it!

Stay tuned for Chapter-7 where we have our very first capture.
Thanks!

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Never fear... AD's here!

OK, I'm not totally done yet, but... rule #1: TAKE YOUR TIME.

This is important for a couple of reasons. One, if you get in a dry spell, you have backup chapters to bail you out while you brainstorm for fresh materials. Two, it gives slowpokes like me more time to actually type up a better review and post it. Three, it builds up anticipation, especially if you leave the reader at a cliffhanger . This makes them eager for more.

I'm not condemning you, but three chapters in as many days won't help much. Threads have a month's life span after their last post, so don't feel too antsy to tell the story.Two weeks is ideal for spacing of chapters (Man do I feel hypocritical) or one week, if you feel absolutely antsy to tell the tale.

The next think I want to talk to you about is your choice of POV. You seem to be writing from the first POV and while this is fine, it gets a little confusing and limits your descriptive capabilities. Writing from the 3rd gives you much greater scope for your abilities. Chapter 5's beginning is one of the few places where the first person would be accepted (i.e. Journal entries) without question. It's also easier to mix up tenses when writing in 1st or 2nd person, so extra caution should be exercised.

Your fakemon seem very interesting to say the least. But Platypi seems like a regular platypus to me. Maybe I skipped something in the description, but as its name is basically the plural word for platypus, I get the feeling you describing a platypus with water-spewing abilities.

Last but so not the least, numbers. You used digits somewhere in the early chapters and I rather dislike seeing them there outside of journal date entries, describing digital clock faces and reading addresses (optional, but allowable in my case), numbers should be spelled out in full. It makes me feel that you weren't just rushing to put this up when you do that and that you take the time to actually make the chapter. Nothing personal, i've just seen it happen so often before in less than adequately done fics that i feel i should be up front about this before it got too far.

On the plus side- it's a rather engaging read, and for such a unique POV, you do rather well. I'll probably come back with a better review (or a more informative one) once I'm done with the last 3 chapters.

Again, one very long review from me. Now to do something about my dry spell(s).

L@er!

shac

Hey, thanks a lot Air Dragon! It's just once I start doing something I feel restless until I've completed it. But thanks for the advice.

I would rather you get back to your fic. than to review me first. I am dying to know what happens next to Anuvi and Ace and the others....

Cheers!

shac

Hello all!! I have a new chapter. I know I am late than usual, but I thought I would listen to Air Dragon's advice at any rate. Hope you enjoy it!
Oh, BTW this chapter is written from the POV of a new character, just to clear up!

Chapter-7

How does it work - human mind? I never figured that out. What could make a person to endanger their own life just to make sure that another seemingly unknown entity remains safe? I would never understand that.

I had been flying my way towards the old barn house – the only place that I deemed safe enough especially on such stormy occasions. And there they were, running for their dear lives – the trainer boy and his Petalip. I have been watching them battle the silly Canry and the Pidgey flock all morning. They had it too easy with the inexperienced fools. I considered going down to show them how a real bird fights, but thought better off it. What if I lost? I did not think I would be able to show face around here. I was too proud for my own good. Besides, the Petalip did not seem shabby either. He might have it in him to defeat me, not that I would let them go easy – it was just not in my nature. With me you always battle with all you have got.

But the Petalip really did catch my attention. I mean, of course one could be good, but to beat a dozen or so birds in a row was not an easy feat. I knew I was not that strong. Well, of course there were stronger pokemon out there, but none of that caliber in the vicinity. So I thought I would just go ahead and pay my compliments to Petalip - it was only polite, but then the wind went mad. The weather has been like this recently. Well, it always rained during this time of the year, but it had never gone haywire like this before.

Man did it blow! The wind was too strong for me to keep my balance. I knew if I had ridden it, it would have tossed me a good fifty miles easy. So I ducked through the shrubs, keeping it low towards the ground, using the thick tree trunks to my advantage which were blocking the wind to some extent. The boy and the Petalip were running along the same direction. May be they too were fetching the shelter of the old barn house. I knew on any day I could have easily outrun them, but the wind was blowing the wrong direction making it so much harder for me to remain airborne.

And then it happened. There was a deafening thunder crack and the boy stopped mid track. I was only a mere foot ahead of them, and then I did the stupidest thing. I turned around to see what had made him stop and in the process totally missed the tree falling over. Apparently the thunder had hit a tree and had cleanly swiped it off its roots. At the very last moment I did notice the oncoming branches and tried to get out of the way, but I was too late. One of the particularly thick branches got me, and before I could get free, it slumped on the ground with my tail underneath. I was in a bad state. I was not hurt, thank goodness, but I could not escape either. There were leaves all around me, and even as I tried to move I got pinched by pointy twigs. And then there was the rain pouring harder than ever. It was a complete mess, and I felt totally helpless. Even as I tugged hard at my tail, it threatened to disintegrate from my body. I moaned aloud in pain.

I did not know what to do. I thought I would have to wait there like that for help till the weather had calmed down to a reasonable stage. But then I felt the branches around me shudder, and I heard the voice of the Petalip nearby. They had come to rescue me! But how did they know I was stuck here? The Petalip was scrambling at the branches over me. I called out at him, and he noticed.

<It’s in here> he shouted.

“What’s it?” the boy asked.

What they said after that I could not hear. For a while I thought that they had gone, but then some branches blocking my escape were being removed. I saw Petalip using his pound attack to clear the way for me. And soon enough I got my tail out of the way. I did not know why but I lost the urge to stay to say thanks. As soon as I was free I shot out hoping that they would not see me. I felt kind of ashamed to have been rescued like that. I felt weak, and I never wanted to feel that way.

Now sitting here in the dusty old barn house, on the railing of the mow, I felt sad for what I did. I should have lingered to say my compliments. I should have stayed with them to make sure that they reach the barn house safely. Even as I bore down on their sleeping bodies from up here, I felt I owed them hugely for saving my life. I breathed in heavily and closed my eyed in sheer determination – ‘with my life I would repay my debts to them!’ I whispered to myself.

As the rain splattered away outside, I steadily became sleepy. I kept fighting the urge to just give in and fall asleep. I was stubbornly trying to keep watch for my saviors. There was hardly any chance of them getting into any trouble at this stage, but I wanted to stay guard anyway. To my surprise and elation my endeavor paid off.

Half an hour later they had fallen asleep, I noticed something unusual happening. I did not properly notice first, since, I, too, was a bit droopy at that point. But then I refocused and saw something that made me curious. At first look, it seemed like the darkness around the two sleeping bodies – the boy and his Petalip – was steadily becoming denser and mobile. The moving darkness was nudging the sleeping duo. I squinted at the spot, and then could make out shapes in the dark.

Gastly! I gasped. As I watched with tension, half a dozen of those ghosts of a pokemon, with their purplish orb-like bodies – hardly distinguishable from the dark, slowly surrounded them. Their bulbous white eyes were the only feature that stood out. Their faces, which were all their body had, were cracked into playful crackles. I was aware of their mischievous nature. They might not do any harm intentionally, but they did not have a clear sense of danger.

As if to mark my thought, the Gastly started to prod and pinch the sleeping duo. But they were too deep in sleep to notice. They only tried to swat away the disturbers instinctively. The Gastly found it amusing. Soon they were inventing ways to disturb them. These ghosts did not have any hand or any other limb, but they had their ghostly ways to control objects. Soon planks of wood and hay sticks were flying about the room, apparently controlled by the Gastly pack. I was getting impatient with their pranks. I cooed softly to get their attention, but they were too absorbed to notice me at this point.
One of the Gastly was juggling hay-stacks now. Another was poking at Petalip with a psychically levitating plank of wood. Petalip tried to brush it away, but the Gastly was having too much fun out of it to quit so easily. After a few more taps and jabs, Petalip suddenly shot his eyes open. As he saw the eerie plank floating overhead, his eyes turned the size of oranges. The Gastly thought it would be funnier to drop the plank on his head. But as the piece of wood suddenly crashed on Petalip, he let out an earsplitting shriek that startled everyone in the room. The boy jerked awake. All the ghastly lost their focus and the different flying objects fell pell-mell on the ground. Incidentally a haystack dropped over the blazing fire that the boy had lit moments ago. It soon burst into fire, and even before anyone understood what was happening, the blazing ball of hay rolled towards a stockpile of hay in a corner. Luckily for us the hay was dampened by the recent rain. It did not catch fire immediately, but the room was suddenly full of so much smoke that breathing became a difficulty.

I swooped down at once, scolding myself to have allowed the Gastly clan to get this far with their silly pranks. I knew better than to trust a bunch of Gastly kids to refrain from causing such an accident. Even as I flew down to the now startled trainer and his Petalip, a blazing fire roared from the corner. The hay inside the pile was crispy dried, and it was catching fire easily than the stack on the top. The fire spread wildly. Even before I had reached the duo, I saw the blazing fire catching the mow. It was suddenly hell inside!
The boy had his hand cover his mouth, and was frantically trying to get away from the blazing fire. As I flew towards him to make sure he was okay, he turned his head at the sound of my wings. Out eyes met. His eyes were full with fear and concern. This was my moment to repay my debt. I beat my wings harder to get airborne, and turned with my back towards the boy and his Petalip. I focused on my wings and started to flap them in frenzied desperation. The wind howled with the encouragement of my flapping wings. Gusts of air blew the smoke away from all around the spot where we stood. The Gastly were nowhere to be seen. But as the smoke cleared a bit, we found the door.

<Follow me!> I commanded the boy, and flew towards the door.

The smoke was quickly refilling the vacant spot. Even before I reached the door, it was lost behind a cloud of billowing smoke. There was a huge crash somewhere inside the house, but I was too busy getting the way out to notice what had given away. In seconds I and my companions reached the door. The boy lunged himself towards the door pane, never stopping his run, the peatlip at his awake. Soon we were out in the fresh air.

We only stopped after we had crossed a good twenty yards away from the burning house. The rain soon drenched us completely. We all were panting heavily. The boy was on his knees; his face wore a horrified expression as he watched volleys of black smoke ensued from every crack and gap of the wooden structure.

As we caught our breaths back, another crashing sound echoed from the barn house.

“How did the fire catch?” the boy asked through panted gasps. He looked at his Petalip for answer. But apparently Petalip was either too exhausted to answer or was utterly terrified to gain back his cool. He was sweating heavily.

“Are you okay?” the boy asked with concern in his voice.

Petalip nodded. He still looked a bit out of it. <The fire…> he panted, <I got…> He winced and trailed of. He was a grass type after all. He was naturally afraid of fire.

“But how did the fire start?” the boy asked, this time it was directed towards me.

<Some silly Gastly thought they would act funny!> I spat.

“What?” he looked concerned as he asked. “What Gastly?”

<Oh, there are some resident Gastly in there. They accidentally dropped that hay roll in the fire.>

“THERE ARE POKEMON IN THERE!” the boy shouted, beside himself.

I was startled at this sudden change of mood. And then he was running towards the smoking building.

<Wait!> I called after him, as I followed him on my wings. It was hard – flying through the rain, but I did not complain. If it was not raining, we surely would have been trapped inside the fiery mess. Soon I caught up to him.
<Are you planning to go in there?> I asked in a shrilly voice. He did not answer, but kept running.

<You should not; you would only hurt yourself!> I tried to reason.

“We have to!” He said as we reached the doors that we had so luckily escaped through only a couple of minutes ago.

<Your Petalip seems to think otherwise> I said, trying to diverse him. Petalip had not left the spot we had left him. He was sitting still, getting thoroughly drenched in the rain.

The boy eyed him with concern for a second. “It’s OK,” he said more to himself, “he is bound to have some weak spot.” He huffed. He threw open the door pane, covered his nose with his arm, and went inside. I sighed and followed.

It was hell again. Smoke filled and burning, the inside space was an inferno. I could not see how anyone could have survived inhere for this long. It was so lucky that it was raining. It was only that which had prevented the whole house to have caught fire and burnt down to cinders. Rain water and crackling flames were tied in a brawl in here. One trying to overpower the other – only resulting in huge amount of fumes in the process.

“Why are you coming?” the boy asked through gritted teeth.

<I’ll help you.> I sighed. I did not know why I had followed him. I was irritated at his stupidity that he had returned in this wretched mess, and that to save somebody who was responsible for this mess in the first place. But I realized it was this specific act that had made me to see him differently. I realized I had a sudden surge of immense respect for this selfless person. It was in that moment I had decided to follow him wherever he went.

“WHY?” He looked at me questioningly. I did not say any of the things that were going through my mind. There was time for those later.

<Later,> I mumbled. He seemed to understand, and nodded with a smile.

“In that case could you do that gust thing you did before; I can’t see a thing!”
I nodded, and flapped my wings harder picking speed in the wind. The smoke cleared away from the vicinity, cumulating in the far corners. I knew he would not be able to see, but I was a different story. I had very good eyesight, that of a hunter. Some silly smoke could not cloud my vision. So I scanned the room for any victim.

“GASTLY! GASTLY!” he shouted out to the room, taking advantage of the momentary clean air.

He tried to advance but was soon blocked by another hay roll in flames that wheezed towards us. I again called upon the wind’s power and sent it rolling a few paces back.

<Don’t move; I am trying to see if there’s anyone stuck here!>

“But of course they are stuck here! There’s only one way out. I would have seen them if they had escaped!”

<No you wouldn’t> I said as I scanned the room, <they are Gastly, aren’t they? They can phase through the walls to escape!>

“They can!” He looked puzzled. “Oh! I had not realized that!”

<But there is one stuck in that corner,> I informed him as I noticed one purple orb hiding inside a pulley settled under a hayloft. I saw that it was completely stuck. Blazing tongues of fire surrounded it from all sides blocking any way to escape.

“Where?” asked the young trainer. I showed him in the corner.

“Can you use your gust to make a way?”

<I can try.> I focused on a spot where the fire was least fierce. As I flapped my wings, wind howled and blew towards that direction. The flames faltered but did not die out.

“Keep on it!” cried the boy, as he ran away to another corner. I could not see what he was doing but he soon returned. He had wrapped himself with a rain-soaked, saggy sack. Even as I tried to figure out his purpose, he ran towards the flames. I gasped as I understood what he was going to do. But before I could open my beaks to protest, he threw himself into the flames. Luckily his plan worked. Before the flames could register upon his wet covers, he had reached the other side. I put more force on my beating wings. Through the faltering flames I could see the boy trying to calm down the ghost pokemon.

<No time to be a gentleman; just grab it and get out!> I shouted. He seemed to have taken on my words. He got hold of the Gastly and ran out of the fiery circle.

“Phew!” he sighed, as he approached me with his rescue tightly held into his arms. He smiled at me, which I returned.

“Thanks!”

<No problem; now let’s get the hell out of here.>

“You sure there are none else in here” he asked as he scanned the room over his shoulder.

I shook my head, and Gastly from his arms confirmed. <I was the only one stuck behind; I am still not too good with the phasing thing> the ghost, clearly a child, mumbled in a small voice.

“Okay then, let’s get out!”

But even as we turned around to leave, one of the many pillars gave away. We were a bit relaxed after our rescue mission and so had not noticed it at first. But then there was an odd crunching noise as the huge blazing stump started to slowly fall towards the ground.

“Look out!” cried the boy, as he jumped forward to flap me out of the way. He succeeded in that. One of his outstretched arms collided with my back like a racquet hitting a shuttlecock, and I found myself a foot ahead with my face on the ground. The boy had simultaneously managed to throw the Gastly kid away. But now he was under the falling column. I watched in horror as the thick stump blazing with fire advanced upon the hunched figure, the figure surely too slow to get out of its way.

<NO!> I cried. But it was not only me. The Gastly had risen from the ground, his face crooked with concentration. Only a foot above the boy, the wooden stump suddenly stopped. The Gastly had stopped it with its ghostly powers! Its purple body, that always emanated a dark aura, was now glowing a bright blue. His bulbous white eyes were also the same unworldly electric blue. I never knew a Gastly could hold this much power. I would have never believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes.

<Get away!> the Gastly hissed towards the crouched figure of the boy, who looked alarmed at the turn of events. But what caught my attention was the voice of the Gastly kid. It was completely different from the one it had used a moment ago. It sounded like a few people talking together through a microphone.

The boy tried to get away from the path of the falling stump. But in his hurry he slipped and fell over. In the same moment Gastly lost his concentration and the blazing column continued to fall. Even as I flapped my wings to get airborne to reach the boy, I realized that I would never be able to reach him in time. But then a green blur shot from another corner. There was a mighty crash and a thump as the pulpit hit the floor. I flinched at the sound. I was sure that the boy was hurt. But then I focused and saw Petalip standing beside the boy’s laying body. The green blur was Petalip! The falling pillar had not crashed over any part of them. It was broken in two where Petalip had hit it to move it out of the boy’s body. ‘Nice save’ I thought.

Everyone was quite for a while. Then Petalip turned around. He eyed each of us warily – the boy, the Gastly and me. <Let’s get out of here before something else decides to fall over our head too!> he said.

We nodded. The boy was not hurt. He was soon on his feet. He scooped up Gastly from the ground. The ghost kid looked like it did not understand anything anymore. Then we all quickly escaped the old barn house. Once outside and a good distance away from the burning house, we all stopped. The rain was still pouring in torrents. The fire inside the wooden house still blazed on. The boy and his Petalip slumped across the wooden fence. I perched myself on a nearby rod. The Gastly floated merely inches above the ground. It seemed to have taken it the hardest. Its face was contorted in a frowned expression.

“Thanks Gastly!” the boy finally said.

<For what?> asked the Gastly in confusion.

“For saving me in there; if you had not stopped the pillar there…” The boy shuddered to think what could have happened.

<Stop the pillar…what? I….hmmm> the Gastly mumbled incoherently.

<You are strong kid!> I complemented. <I never knew a Gastly at this young age could pull off such a feat!>

For some reason he looked even more confused at my complement. <I did not…> his voice trailed away.

<You did not what?> I asked curiously.

The Gastly simply looked at me. <You did not stop the pillar?> It was Petalip this time who asked. Gastly turned towards him, but did not answer.

<But I saw you doing it when I entered the house> Petalip pressed on.

Gastly looked he was not sure what to say. <I dunno…> he whispered, <I have never done that before!>

“But you did today, and thanks for that!” The boy smiled.
The Gastly smiled too. <You saved me too! You were very brave…> it said admiringly.

<…and stupid!> I interjected. The boy smiled again.

“Thanks for sticking around…err!”

<Kestrol is the name.> I chirped.

“Kestrol, yes. Thank you! Could not have done it without you!”

<Like I said before, No problem!>

The boy grinned. Petalip came forward. He looked disturbed for some reason.
“What’s wrong buddy?” the boy asked his pokemon.

<Look Shaun, I am really sorry that I did not go with you then. I should have. I got scared, and…> his voice trailed away as he looked at the ground, ashamed.

“Oh! But Petalip, it was not your fault. I would never have asked you to get inside that mess. You are a grass type after all. If anything, it was awesome how you came at the very last moment to save me. You should know that you are the best buddy!” He winked at his pokemon. Petalip smiled.

We remained quite for a while. We did not know what we were waiting for. When the rain had finally slowed down to a drizzle, the boy sighed and got up. “Well, Petalip let’s get going. So much for a new pokemon!” He sighed.

The Gastly floated up. <Thanks again…> he said, <I’ll go look for my friends!> with that, it floated away towards the woods.

<Hope you learnt a lesson kid!> I called after it.

“Bye Kestrol!” the boy waved as he with his partner hit the trail out of the forest.

I sat there for a moment. I had already decided what I wanted. I wanted to go with this strange human, who for some reason valued other lives more than his own - valued the lives of pokemon, even the ones that had caused him to suffer. I wanted to know why that was. I wanted to understand him.

<Wait!> I called after them. They turned to face me.

In a few flaps of my wings I reached them. <I was hoping to come with you!> I said.

The expression on their faces turned from curiosity to jubilation. <Really!> cried the Petalip.

I nodded. They looked at each other and exchanged a look of acceptance.
“Welcome to the band mate!” the boy said with a wide grin. I could not help but felt elated. I nestled myself over his right shoulder. Petalip jumped and secured the left.

<Hello partner!> He offered me one of his leafy arms.

I took it in one of my wings and shook. We grinned to each other. The life ahead surely seemed to be promised with adventures and happy memories.

Last edited: