• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~The raise of Gyrados~

pkmtrainer

Hi guys I´ve come with a new team built around gyarados. I´ve each time been improving and improving at team building.

AT GLANCE

472.png
376.png
499.png
245.png
212.png
130.png

TEAM

gliscor.png

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/32 Def/224 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
~ Earthquake
~ Stealth Rock
~ Taunt
~ U-turn

Almost standard lead. With this set, Gliscor takes advantage of its speed and defensive bulkiness. It can set up rocks when it finds the moment (not necessarily in the lead phase). It can u-turn when I predict a taunt from Aero or Azelf, or if I find I´m in trouble, like leadpert, who threatens because of ice beam. Taunt lets me prevent the setting of rocks from slower pokemon. EQ lets me do a reliable STAB attack against Metagross. Gliscor is equipped with leftovers because of durability.

EVS: 252 hp is necessary because all bulky pokemon must have it. 224 spe lets me outspeed jolly Luke, other positive nature base 90, and other Gliscor with the standard 216 evs. 32 def lets me take hits better from Scarfttar than max speed Gliscor

NOTE: Don’t suggest other spreads with max speed, for me, those spreads are pointless and a waste of evs. “Oh but with max speed you will be faster than other Gliscors” <---- I don’t care other if other Gliscor taunt me; I can still u-turn and set up rocks later. Max speed is pointless because you will be anyways in a speed tie with other Gliscor.

---

metagross.png

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/216 Atk/40 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch
~ Pursuit
~ Zen Headbutt

An odd spread, I know. This is my respond to most/all of the revenge killers of gyarados, which include: Scarfrachi, Scarflygon, and other problematic pokemon, like wall breaker Salamence (I fear of its FB ;-;), and Agilitygross. Ice Punch hits hard Celebi, and it kills Flygon and Salamence after receiving his EQ (and activing shuca berry which is pretty helpful). Zen Headbutt is an STAB semi reliable attack which hits hard other pokemon, like bulky waters, surprises Machamp and finishes it. EQ hits Agilitygross and other pokemon who weak to it. Pursuit traps pokemon, like u-turning pokemon; Scarfrachi and Flygon and does extra damage if they switch out. Metagross is holding shuca berry because it weakens EQ´s damage x 0.5

EVS: 252 hp is obligatory because it´s a bulky pokemon, 40 spD allows me to take hits better from scarf Starmie, and mix DD Mence, I can come in wall breaker Mence´s DM (not in fire blast ;-;). 216 is a jump point which helps Metagross not to loose its tremendous attack.

CALCULATIONS:
Zen Headbutt vs 252hp / 252def Swampert: 27.5% - 32.7%
Ice Punch vs 252hp / 220def Celebi: 33.2% - 39.1%
252 atk adamant LO Metagross´ EQ vs Metagross: 35.2% - 41.8% (shuca berry)
+ 1 252 atk adamant LO Salamence´s EQ vs Metagross: 52.7% - 62.6% (shuca berry)
252 atk adamant LO Salamence´s EQ vs Metagross: 35.2% - 41.8% (shuca berry)
252 atk jolly Flygon´s EQ vs Metagross: 29.9% - 35.4% (shuca berry)
32 spA naive LO Salamence´s flamethrower vs Metagross: 36.3% - 42.9%
252 atk jolly Jirachi´s fire punch vs Metagross: 30.2% - 35.7%
252 spA timid Starmie´s surf vs Metagross: 37.1-44.0%

NOTE: Metagross´ work is to attract Gyarados´ revenge killers and heavily damage/kill them. Shuca berry is VERY IMPORTANT for Metagross because without it, it would be OHKO´ed by Flygon´s and Salamence´s EQ. HIS JOB IS PRETTY IMPORTANT!

---

rotomheat.png

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
~ Trick
~ Thunderbolt
~ Shadow Ball
~ Hidden Power [Grass]

It works as a revenge killer. I actually had Scarfstarmie in this place, but it just added a big weakness to electric moves. By replacing Starmie, I got rid of an electric weakness and added a resistance to it. Trick lets me cripple walls and bulky pokemon like Snorlax, Blissey or Crocune. T-bolt is a reliable STAB attack that lets me revenge kill any Gyarados with a DD. Shadow ball kills/severely damage Celebi, Gengar and non-scarfed Rotom. The reason I have Hidden Power Grass instead of Rotom-C is … SURPRISE ELEMENT!! No Swampert would stay in Rotom-C because they fear Leaf Storm, and they would flee. I´ve had lots and lots of problems dealing with Swampert. HP grass also helps me to damage Scarfttar while he switch-in (but I cant 2 OHKO it). Rotom is using Choice scarf because it gets a bonus in speed enough to revenge kill

EVS: Quite simple, do as damage as possible, and be as fast as possible.

---

Suicune.png

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 62 HP/196 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
~ Calm Mind
~ Hidden Power [Electric]
~ Ice Beam
~ Surf

Offensive CM Suicune. It does a decent job as a mid-game sweeper. It wears down bulky waters and Celebi enough for Gyarados to sweep. CM is primordial because it can stat up and gain some bulkiness. Surf is the best option for Suicune because it´s its more powerful move. Ice beam kills Breloom and Celebi (with a +1) it can also help to beat Salamence. Hidden power electric beats Gyarados and Vappy. It is holding leftovers because it can last more time, and can confuse the opponent with a Crocune.

EVS: 252 SAtk is to do the more damage I can. 196 spe is enough to outspeed adamant Luke by 1 point. I added 62 hp because I wanted more bulkiness.

---

scizor.png

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 184 HP/252 Atk/72 Spd
~ Bullet Punch
~ U-turn
~ Pursuit
~ Superpower

Another revenge killer. The reason I have 2 revenge killers is that rotom-h covers Gyarados while Scizor covers Salamence and Scarfttar. Bullet Punch is the only priority move I have, but it really works doing 55%-66% to Salamence. U-turn lets me scout what the opponent has. Pursuit traps pokemon like scarf Rotom. Superpower beats Heatran and other steel pokemon, just like empoleon (in the switch-in). Choice Band gives Scizor a x1.5 bonus.

EVS: 252 Atk is obvious. 72 spe lets Scizor outspeed base 70´s with little investment and 68 spe Vaporeon. The remaining evs (184) were thrown to HP because of bulkiness.

---

gyarados.png

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk/6 Def/252 Spd
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Fang
~ Waterfall
~ Dragon Dance

Late game sweeper. Gyarados is my last and best pokemon left. After achieving the job of clearing revenge killers and weakening of counters, it can finish the opponent´s team. With Dragon Dance, Gyarados reaches to tremendous attack and speed, combined with LO, it can kill most of pokemon Waterfall is a STAB move that does a lot of damage. EQ beats metagross, infernape, non-scarfed Jirachi, Heatran, etc. Ice fang kills Salamence and Zapdos.

EVS: Quite simple; power and speed in the same pokemon.

NOTE: The reason I run Icefang > Stone Edge is that I wouldn’t like the sweep to finish because of SE miss.
---
LAST LOOK

472.png
376.png
499.png
245.png
212.png
130.png

Thanks to arkeis and pokemonelite for the images

Rate please ;)

Last edited:

labarith

Wait... EQ for Infernape? Not waterfall? REALLY?

Overall it is a pretty solid team. I can see Electric types being a problem, Zapdos in particular. Other than your Rotom it can pretty much take on your whole team with few problems. It could also end a Gyarados sweep if it is using a defensive set as it is capable of always surviving an Ice Fang even after Stealth Rock if it uses the standard defensive set. Also as Psychic is a terrible attacking type even with STAB it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace Zen Headbutt with something such as Thunderpunch for Waters, Bullet Punch for priority, or Explosion for a solid finisher.

squishynz

Shiny Hunter
Agiligross should be able to take a hit from your metagross and hit yours with 2 EQs to kill yours. Shuca will only work for the first. The second he gets you

pkmtrainer

Overall it is a pretty solid team. I can see Electric types being a problem, Zapdos in particular. Other than your Rotom it can pretty much take on your whole team with few problems. It could also end a Gyarados sweep if it is using a defensive set as it is capable of always surviving an Ice Fang even after Stealth Rock if it uses the standard defensive set. Also as Psychic is a terrible attacking type even with STAB it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace Zen Headbutt with something such as Thunderpunch for Waters, Bullet Punch for priority, or Explosion for a solid finisher.

I suppose you´re right about the zapdos, and as far as I remember, sub-zone is also problem. I dont think BP is the best choice for metagross, but explosion seems attractive in order to kill cune.

squishynz said:
Agiligross should be able to take a hit from your metagross and hit yours with 2 EQs to kill yours. Shuca will only work for the first. The second he gets you

Actually, I switch to rotom while he EQ´s in the 2nd turn, and finish him with shadowball

Last edited: