• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Random Curve On Ball Throws....

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Hi guys, I had a question. Has anybody else experienced this?? For me it seems to be random but whenever I'm trying to catch a stronger pokemon, the ball will randomly curve to the left or right with a sparkly trail behind it even if I'm throwing the Poke Ball completely straight. I know there is a way to get a curve bonus if you spin the ball until it glows but this is different from that.

It's just really frustrating as there's no indication it's gonna do it so it just eats your ball for no apparent reason.

Hi guys, I had a question. Has anybody else experienced this?? For me it seems to be random but whenever I'm trying to catch a stronger pokemon, the ball will randomly curve to the left or right with a sparkly trail behind it even if I'm throwing the Poke Ball completely straight. I know there is a way to get a curve bonus if you spin the ball until it glows but this is different from that.

It's just really frustrating as there's no indication it's gonna do it so it just eats your ball for no apparent reason.

This happened to me too but it happened when I used a Razz Berry while catching a Pokemon, the ball started curving when I threw it. Never used a Razz Berry again.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter

I actually had that happen before it happens with high capture pokemon with red circles I noticed its like they slap it and say no capture for you and then they run away after 5 ball throws >.>

Burumun

Isn't it a curve ball? You would get the bonus if you managed to hit, just... no idea how to do that.

I had the same thing happen to me earlier. It could be the Razz Berry thing, like Yung Goos mentioned, since I'd used one as well, but I thought it might also be because it was really windy... Sometimes that causes my phone to do weird stuff, I think.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
The game will do this once you hit around level 15 if you do not manually throw a curveball yourself. It is unknown whether it is intentional or not. I have had it happen to me plenty of times so I know its real.

Burumun

The game will do this once you hit around level 15 if you do not manually throw a curveball yourself. It is unknown whether it is intentional or not. I have had it happen to me plenty of times so I know its real.

I'm level 9 and I've had this happen to me, as well, though. I really do think it's some sort of input glitch.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter

I am level 12 atm and I lost alot of pokeballs and great balls today for missing the pokemon -_-

Vroomer

Yes - highly annoying. Had it happen to me on a Spearow... Twice. Really??? I hates me the random curve ball.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
It happened to me a lot until I realized my screen was gummed up. It would drag when I tried to flick the poke ball and it interpreted it as me throwing a curve ball. Once I cleaned the screen (and made sure my finger wasn't greasy or sweaty) it worked just fine.

msKrystel

Happened to me too. It seems quite random though, but it seems to happen the most after I feed the Pokémon a Razz berry.

Gizmoa

I took it to be gusts of wind in game that increase in frequency with the difference between your level and the pokemon's level (so as they become yellow/red it happens more).

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I actually figured it out when your finger is sweating or when your screen is messy or just plan moving the ball up and down with your finger it causes it to do a curve ball which if you didn't want that its very annoying best thing is to try to move the ball in straight forward motion the best you can and it goes straight. I hope this helps some people because I know how annoying it can be when your trying to get something you need and you run out of balls >.>

edit: also when I use razz berries it doesn't always happen which when I don't use the berries sometimes it still gives the curve ball so its not the razz berries.

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
I've found that doing shorter strokes on the screen seems to reduce the likelihood of getting a random curveball. I don't get it as much as I used to when I first reached level 15.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
It has nothing to do with Razz Berries... From my experience, it just seems to be human error, whether it be greasy screen/finger or accidentally curving away when throwing the ball.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I wonder if it's also got to do with pressure. I've noticed that even if my screen is clean, if I press down too hard, then the game'll assume I'm actually gearing up for a curveball. However! I've been encountering this issue far, far more infrequently after I started, yanno, not pressing down on the screen so much. XD Like, instead of pushing my thumb into the screen, just touch it with the very tip of my fingertip and flick as gently as possible.

Anyone want to test to see if pressure's got something to do with it? Could use someone else messing with their own games to verify. FOR SCIENCE.

dbmeboy

I've found that doing shorter strokes on the screen seems to reduce the likelihood of getting a random curveball. I don't get it as much as I used to when I first reached level 15.
I've noticed similar. Swiping too far up the screen seems to result in a curve while swiping shorter flies true.

I doubt it has anything to do with pressure. I don't think most phone screens can differentiate levels of pressure.