• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The recession is affecting anime

Rex Kamex

I'm not saying this is surprising, but I figured I might as well show you guys. Someone on another forum made a thread about this, so...

Yeah. The anime video's after this first one about Japan in general being in a recession. You can wait out that video and watch the next one, which is about anime, or you can scroll down and click on the video saying, "Recession hits anime", located underneath the big video screen.

(Okay, honestly what made me post this was that I noticed One Piece on the video that they had. With a bit of "Share the World" in the video as well. But I still feel bad.)

Oh, and that video also made the Pokemon Arceus get an unintentional debut from an official American company. =P

Asrialys

Their apparent solution: produce a bunch of fanservice moe shows, censor their TV broadcasts, and then make money from the uncut DVD/BDs and various risque merchandise.

How about that "Mio-themed" K-ON striped bowl ;) And with shows like K-ON, by having the characters use items that actually exist, it leads otaku to go after such items.

Last edited:

Buizelster

Well it really can't be helped. The recession is hurting a lot of people.

BM14murph

Master Collector
Nice find and yep not surprising at all seeing as it's a major source of national income in that country

It kind of makes ya feel bad watching them all on youtube or veoh or wherever doesn't it?

HK

Radiance of Shadows

Mimori Kiryu

TheSwedishElf

I live in the real world, thanks. Provide me with proof that my watching Tokyo Mew Mew fansubs on YouTube is dooming the industry and then maybe I'll believe you.

Mimori Kiryu

I live in the real world, thanks. Provide me with proof that my watching Tokyo Mew Mew fansubs on YouTube is dooming the industry and then maybe I'll believe you.
Sure you do. If you cared about your anime at all, you would know that watching anime online instead of purchasing it hurts both the English anime industry and the Japanese. They get absolutely no money from you watching it online and if everyone did that, they'd have no money to produce it.

And you want proof? Ever heard of the anime company Geneon? They died out because of not having enough money to stay in business and pay their workers. Know of the former very popular anime magazines, Anime Insider or Shojo Beat, especially NewType? Those titles don't exist either because people think it's more convenient and cheap to watch anime online rather than fork over a few dollars to read the magazine and chip in some money for DVD or merchandise to support the company.

And if you don't support the company here, no money goes back to the Japanese company either and trust me, anime is a lot more popular here in the States than in Japan and they depend on us for a lot of their sells (especially for those titles that aren't mainstream).

So there's your proof. Want more?

TheSwedishElf

Did you know that it actually costs these companies money to get their shows on TV? Did you know that several of them actually see it as free promotion when people put their stuff online? Hell, Funimation pretty much encourages it. And I'm pretty sure watching undubbed stuff online that's not legally available for sale in the west won't do anything to hurt the Japanese economy.

Until I clearly see otherwise, I'll continue to watch my fansubbed Japanese language TMM.

Mimori Kiryu

I don't even think you read my post. Seriously.

Did you know that it actually costs these companies money to get their shows on TV?
Yeah, and unless you watch it and give them ratings, they don't get any money back except from the commercials and really, it doesn't cost them that much. And only the bigger companies have the availability to get stuff on TV. Wanna know why? Oh, I don't know, maybe because they don't sell enough DVDs and merchandise because everyone's watching it online?

Did you know that several of them actually see it as free promotion when people put their stuff online? Hell, Funimation pretty much encourages it.
What few people SUPPORT it? Seriously, I want names. And FUNi does anything but encourage it. Hell, if an anime they legally own is on Youtube not by their permission, the video is instantly removed.

And I'm pretty sure watching undubbed stuff online that's not legally available for sale in the west won't do anything to hurt the Japanese economy.
Sure. Maybe it won't. But did you know that cable in Japan costs almost double what we pay here? Imagine if you did have to pay. And not only that, will you retribute and buy the legal DVD when it is likely licensed in the states? I highly doubt you will.

Until I clearly see otherwise, I'll continue to watch my fansubbed Japanese language TMM.
So the collapse of a whole anime company and three magazine isn't enough proof? Unless you're watching legally streamed anime, such as the ones put up on Youtube by Bandai Entertainment or FUNimation, or on the actual companies supported websites, such as naruto.com or FUNimation's video portal, you're taking away from the anime industry. PERIOD.

TheSwedishElf

will you retribute and buy the legal DVD when it is likely licensed in the states? I highly doubt you will.

Actually, yes, if I like it and the dub isn't utter garbage, I most certainly will watch it on TV and save up to buy a DVD or two. That's one purpose anime that gets posted online can serve--it helps people find out if they even like the show without wasting money, which can actually end up helping the industry anyway.

Unless you're watching legally streamed anime, such as the ones put up on Youtube by Bandai Entertainment or FUNimation, or on the actual companies supported websites, such as naruto.com or FUNimation's video portal, you're taking away from the anime industry. PERIOD.

Right, whatever you say. I've helped doom the anime industry to an untimely death. And no, you can't convince me of that by pointing out that one distributing company went out of business and three magazines {one of which just really wasn't doing too well compared to its male-oriented counterpart} were cancelled. Mainly because, y'know, I don't see what harm watching anime online does to magazine sales.

And for the record, fansubs are generally considered perfectly legal until the show is licensed for dubbing. It's a bit of an agreement of sorts that even the industry recognizes. So, to use my personal example again, until Tokyo Mew Mew is picked up by a dubbing company again, I can definitely watch fansubs of it without shame.

Last edited:

Mimori Kiryu

Actually, yes, if I like it and the dub isn't utter garbage, I most certainly will watch it on TV and save up to buy a DVD or two. That's one purpose anime that gets posted online can serve--it helps people find out if they even like the show without wasting money, which can actually end up helping the industry anyway.
Well fine. If you'll actually admit to buying a DVD then we've reached somewhat of an agreement.

Right, whatever you say. I've helped doom the anime industry to an untimely death. And no, you can't convince me of that by pointing out that one distributing company went out of business and three magazines {one of which just really wasn't doing too well compared to its male-oriented counterpart} were cancelled. Mainly because, y'know, I don't see what harm watching anime online does to magazine sales.
Because the people publishing the magazines are the same company producing the anime. They are connected in the same company. And if a small company isn't enough, how about FUNimation having to cut 20% of its workers?

And for the record, fansubs are actually perfectly legal until the show is licensed for dubbing. It's a bit of an agreement of sorts that even the industry recognizes. So, to use my personal example again, until Tokyo Mew Mew is actually picked up by a dubbing company again, I can definitely watch fansubs of it without shame.
Where in the hell did you find that fansubs are legal in anyway shape or form? Show me the legal document that says people can distribute something FOR FREE that they do not own. And show me where the industry recognizes the legality of that.

And more than likely, 4Kids will always own the rights to Tokyo Mew Mew and you'll probably never see another release or DVD of it which puts you nowhere.

Fansubs are illegal. You watching it is illegal because the person you are getting it from does not own it. That's like saying it's legal for you to sell someone else's house when they're not home. Because you're house sitting, it's okay to sell their house. That's how stupid this sounds to me.

TheSwedishElf

Well fine. If you'll actually admit to buying a DVD then we've reached somewhat of an agreement.

Good, then leave me the hell alone about it.

Where in the hell did you find that fansubs are legal in anyway shape or form? Show me the legal document that says people can distribute something FOR FREE that they do not own. And show me where the industry recognizes the legality of that.

How about you just freakin' Google it? Even animenewsnetwork.com has pointed this out, and they're a very notable and trustworthy site with a few people FROM the industry working there. Is that enough for you?

And more than likely, 4Kids will always own the rights to Tokyo Mew Mew and you'll probably never see another release or DVD of it which puts you nowhere.

Actually, they had the rights taken away, allegedly by Mia Ikumi herself, due to the fact that they horribly butchered it beyond all recognition. They're not even allowed to buy the rights to the next half of the series. Thank God.

Now, I have better things to do with my life, so if you don't mind, this conversation is over, and I'm not discussing this further.

Last edited:

Mimori Kiryu

Good, then leave me the hell alone about it.
No. Anime is something that I really enjoy and I will debate to defend it all I want.

How about you just freakin' Google it? Even animenewsnetwork.com has pointed this out, and they're a very notable and trustworthy site with a few people FROM the industry working there. Is that enough for you?
I've seen people from the industry accepting it but NEVER saying it was actually legal to actually fansub anything. And I'm an avid visitor to ANN as well.

Actually, they had the rights taken away, allegedly by Mia Ikumi herself, due to the fact that they horribly butchered it beyond all recognition. They're not even allowed to buy the rights to the next half of the series. Thank God.
Okay, fine. But really, how many anime actually get licensed again after being dubbed once? Not that many.

Now, I have better things to do with my life, so if you don't mind, this conversation is over, and I'm not discussing this further.
Fine. You're the one that started it in the first place by saying that watching illegal anime online wasn't hurting the industry. I just did my duty as an anime fan to defend the people who bring it to us.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Funimation does put episodes on Youtube, but they're usually obscure series so they can attract more viewers. Then with stuff like One Piece they had a simulcast that before it was taken down would keep up with Japan, since the dubbing is only at a certain point. It would even cut down on Fansubs.

TheSwedishElf

Excuse me? If I say get off my back, you get off my damn back.

I just did my duty as an anime fan

So. Now you're implying that I'm less of a fan or that you're the superior one and trying to make me look like the badguy because I watch fansubs of stuff that will likely never be available for sale or TV viewing in my home country. How very pretentious.

Last edited:

Mimori Kiryu

Excuse me? If I say get off my back, you get off my damn back.
This is a Pokemon forum. If I want to reply on your post, I'll reply on your post. You're the one blowing it out of proportion.

So. Now you're implying that I'm less of a fan or that you're the superior one and trying to make me look like the badguy because I watch fansubs of stuff that will likely never be available for sale or TV viewing in my home country. How very pretentious.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I never said anything like that. Congratulations. I was just debating with you; why can't you debate without getting angry?

TheSwedishElf

I can debate without getting angry. Many thanks for assuming sh*t about me. Hard not to think you're playing the elitist "I'm the superior fan because I oppose fansubs" game when you keep talking down to me in a way that suggests such an attitude and continually beat me over the head with this "You're killing the anime industry" message. Your "duty as an anime fan"? Seriously? That sounds pretty damn elitist, whether you intended it to or not.

Mimori Kiryu

I can debate without getting angry. Many thanks for assuming sh*t about me. Hard not to think you're playing the elitist "I'm the superior fan because I oppose fansubs" game when you keep talking down to me in a way that suggests such an attitude and continually beat me over the head with this "You're killing the anime industry" message. Your "duty as an anime fan"? Seriously? That sounds pretty damn elitist, whether you intended it to or not.
Well I'm not. Why did you blame me for being elitist in the first place? I like anime and I don't want it to disappear. If we don't support the industry in both countries, the anime itself will disappear entirely and I don't want that. That's all. I was showing my opinion and just stating that I am an anime fan. You don't have to read into it so much; I'm not one of those people who acts like a know-it-all.