• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The recession is affecting anime

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
I guess I'll throw my hat in.

The anime industry shot itself in foot by being slow to accept direct download. This is probably because their sponsors could make more money selling DVD's. Anyway, DVD's are a very bad way to distribute most anime series, especially obscure series. It costs money to make the disks and you need to know you'll sell at least a certain number of disk to turn a profit.

As fansubbers have shown, making a product that can be downloaded off the internet is dirt cheap. They can then charge people for the download. That's how I bought the first two X-Com games, that's how the virtual console works, and even Syfy (ugh) distributes Caprica this way partially. The anime industry has just now started to experiment with this.

Cobalt_Latios

This is a Pokemon forum. If I want to reply on your post, I'll reply on your post. You're the one blowing it out of proportion.
The validity of this is highly questionable I find.

I guess I'll throw my hat in.

The anime industry shot itself in foot by being slow to accept direct download. This is probably because their sponsors could make more money selling DVD's. Anyway, DVD's are a very bad way to distribute most anime series, especially obscure series. It costs money to make the disks and you need to know you'll sell at least a certain number of disk to turn a profit.

As fansubbers have shown, making a product that can be downloaded off the internet is dirt cheap. They can then charge people for the download. That's how I bought the first two X-Com games, that's how the virtual console works, and even Syfy (ugh) distributes Caprica this way partially. The anime industry has just now started to experiment with this.
You mean, digital distribution? Like iTunes and Steam?

I don't think there is any service for videos though. Or, not that I know of.

*C_L*

Mimori Kiryu

The validity of this is highly questionable I find.
We are in an Alternate Anime section of a Pokemon forum. How is that questionable at all?

Sh*t, I can't even speak my peace on this forum without being called an elitist and my points questionable. This is ridiculous. :/

Vernikova

Champion
Well now, I really didn't expect the recession not to hurt anime. I kind of find it funny as well that some people actually think watching anime on online sites like YouTube isn't hurting the compny that makes it. Some companies just want take these things off of YouTube the hell of it then.

Whatever though. When anime goes back to being on a "boom" in the world then maybe Japanese companies will figure out a way to limit piracy of their products.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
You mean, digital distribution? Like iTunes and Steam?

I don't think there is any service for videos though. Or, not that I know of.
Syfy is releasing Caprica both on disk and online and some companies are using Chrunchyroll as a testbed for nearly instant subbed broadcast and digital distribution. It's mostly experimental at the moment. However, it's the same idea as music just with bigger files. I just think they would have thought of doing it earlier.

Perhaps the biggest problem anime is facing right now is getting TV deals on American television. Cartoon Network and Fox use to put on just about anything. However, CN replaced Naruto with repeats of that godawful 6Teen show. If they can't TV deals, most companies won't bother with the expense of translating.

Cobalt_Latios

We are in an Alternate Anime section of a Pokemon forum. How is that questionable at all?
It's just that is seems to be a reoccurring excuse around here. I'm just saying that even though it's a Pokemon forum, some people aren't really that into it and hardly even seem to visit the threads related to it. That's what I mean.

Sh*t, I can't even speak my peace on this forum without being called an elitist and my points questionable. This is ridiculous. :/
The excuse itself was questionable. Ironically, I had the same problem explaining that... "fact" in the Other Video Games section. I understand that we're in a Pokemon forum, but it seems they're taking advantage and using that idea (and surrounding details) to justify certain acts.

Syfy is releasing Caprica both on disk and online and some companies are using Chrunchyroll as a testbed for nearly instant subbed broadcast and digital distribution. It's mostly experimental at the moment. However, it's the same idea as music just with bigger files. I just think they would have thought of doing it earlier.
Considering how big some games can be for download, I can imagine it. I just didn't know they had one in the midst.

Perhaps the biggest problem anime is facing right now is getting TV deals on American television. Cartoon Network and Fox use to put on just about anything. However, CN replaced Naruto with repeats of that godawful 6Teen show. If they can't TV deals, most companies won't bother with the expense of translating.
Hey, watch it! For what it is, it's actually not that bad (you'll be happy to know it's ending soon with a final season). However, I'm confused as to why CN would replace an anime with a Canadian cartoon. That makes no sense. Of course, I've garnered that balance means nothing to them[/random comment].

*C_L*

Buizelster

Hey, 6Teen is better than almost everything else western studios put out these days.

I agree to that. TDI/TDA and 6teen are two of the best shows that have ever come on CN in a long time. Stoked may very well be the third.

Those guys sure know how to make a good show that's for sure.

I hope they recover. :/
I just hope this wont mean inflation

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Where has that been proven?
My question was never answered.

And for the record, fansubs are generally considered perfectly legal until the show is licensed for dubbing.
Uh, no. The only legal thing you may have is your own translation; anything else you need a license for, or actual ownership provided by a legal purchase or service.

It's a bit of an agreement of sorts that even the industry recognizes.
Yeah, that's why they send those C&D letters out to the groups and take down illegally uploaded videos on YouTube. :rolleyes:

I just hope this wont mean inflation
Huh?

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Sometimes, I wonder if fansubbers are a symptom or a cause. I was talking with someone about a series that hasn't made it to the United States. They said it will likely never make it to the United States because it's near impossible to get a TV deal nowadays for an anime series. You're hard pressed to sell many DVD's of a series few have even heard of. That's why I say digital distribution is a good idea as those who know of your series probably heard of it on the net and will get it from there.

I was thinking about how anime series were everywhere just a few years ago. However, CW decided they don't do anime, Adult Swim now has no anime, Toonami is gone, CN as a whole has three anime shows, all of which are essentially ads for games, 4Kids and therefore Fox aren't as anime crazy as they were, and it goes on. Now, it takes a concerted effort by fans to convince a company to license a show.