• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Redemption of the Pika

realarcastform

Rotom Trainer
I've noticed that Ashie Boy's main mouse is getting a huge downplay this series, will the writers find a way to redeem him? Sure he's been winning rounds in gyms but he hasn't won a battle gym officially. In what way do you think his potential in Sinnoh will be realized? All he's had to prove his strength is finishing first round Pokemon in gyms and that Raichu trainer.

thunderblade12

You're right; he's only beaten 2 gym leader owned pokemon in the entire saga and neither one of them were the gym leader's main pokemon. The most impressive victory it has right now is Sho's Raichu. Well, I guess taking down a powerhouse like Gyarados would be pretty impressive, if only Pikachu didn't have a 4X advantage against it.

Unfortunately, Pikachu will probably star in the final gym and take down Luxray; I'd rather it be Grotle or Gliscor but, meh, What can ya do?

Vernikova

Champion
Well, the fact that Pikachu is getting less screen time can actually be seen as a good thing. It allows for more pokémon to get more screentime along with battle expirience even though Piplup gets more than the other pokémon.

As for the topic of how the writers can redeem him, I think that it will likely occur in the Pokémon League at the end of the Sinnoh region or maybe at the lat gym of the region. I think that the writers would showcase Pikachu's expirience and power in the tougher matches rather than weaker matches. That would be where they can develop Ash's newer pokémon.

Red1062

So Cool
Well, the fact that Pikachu is getting less screen time can actually be seen as a good thing. It allows for more pokémon to get more screentime along with battle expirience even though Piplup gets more than the other pokémon.

As for the topic of how the writers can redeem him, I think that it will likely occur in the Pokémon League at the end of the Sinnoh region or maybe at the lat gym of the region. I think that the writers would showcase Pikachu's expirience and power in the tougher matches rather than weaker matches. That would be where they can develop Ash's newer pokémon.

I agree with you. Ash's other pokemon now get screen time and get to be seen and how powerful they are.

pokefreak in qatar93

I guess pikachu keeping a ''low profile'' is what ash's team needed to prove them selves.
so after the 7th gym will be pika's time to shine in the 8th gym + the league and hopefuly the BF where it becomes all uber like .

TeddiUrsa

The problem here is not Ash's Pokemon, but the thing called Piplup. I think Grotle haven't done a thing since it evolved, Chimchar haven't got much to do for the moment, Staraptor just evolved and goes soon under the same catagory as Grotle. While Buizel and Gliscor haven't done much the last time, so the problem is Piplup. I like Pikachu and I can only wait to the day when Dawn goes bye bye, and Pikachu rocks the world again.

Yes, Pochama´s the problem. Satoshi uses Pochama FAR too often when he should use his other Pokémon aga...wait? What the **** are you talking about?!

Dogtor Growlithe

Burning Trainer
Just remember, Pikachu has had alot of screen time since the anime started
i think you do need to let him have a little break every now and then XD

Camus

ice age
The problem here is not Ash's Pokemon, but the thing called Piplup. I think Grotle haven't done a thing since it evolved, Chimchar haven't got much to do for the moment, Staraptor just evolved and goes soon under the same catagory as Grotle. While Buizel and Gliscor haven't done much the last time, so the problem is Piplup. I like Pikachu and I can only wait to the day when Dawn goes bye bye, and Pikachu rocks the world again.

Grotle has just learnt a new move that will allow him to move faster; Chimchar is going to evolve pretty soon; Staraptor evolved, learned a new move and is going to compete in Candice's gym; Buizel and Gliscor were in the last gym battles, with Gliscor winning the badge thanks to his new move. I don't see your point °_°

realarcastform

Rotom Trainer

Grotle hasn't done a thing, did you watch the Snover episode?! Grotle got a heroic new move Rock Climb- BY WILLPOWER. That's not nothing. This move if you remember will confuse the opponent and it's a great way to make up for the lack of Vine Whip, Grotle is now immune to TR's pits! Pikachu however hasn't learned a new move since the Battle Frontier and even a new spin on an existing move wasn't effective.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I guess they could always give Pikachu Charge...or Charm...or Endeavor. ugh.

and he'll probably star against Luxray in the final gym.

Pikalover

Ahh, true love ^_^
I agree, Pikachu hasn't done much these past couple seasons. I think he's being over shadowed by Piplup too much (but we already knew that :p). In fact, I'm gonna dare so much as say that Dawn has had more screentime than Ash. Call me crazy, but that's just my opinion.

At this point, I don't care how it happens, I just want to see Pikachu really shine during a gym battle. He has a chance with Candice, and I'm really hoping for some electric rivalry at Sunyshore's gym. Luxray vs Pikachu... I'm gettin' all tingly just thinking about it! ^_^

Isis-sama

I'm of two minds on this issue - I am very glad that the writers are allowing Ash's regional team to get more spotlight in Sinnoh, but I don't like the fact that they apparently feel like the only way they can do that is to make the Ubermouse seem weak in comparison to a bunch of newly caught and little trained pokemon, since it flies in the face of the continuity that's been established for the entire series. Pikachu is demonstrably not weak and has been consistently shown to be a major powerhouse through the *entire series,* so what's it doing easily losing to gym leaders the regional equivalents of it's wiped the floor with for three and more regions? Honestly, it's such a major slap in the face to the series' continuity that I almost wish the writers had handled the Sinnoh team like they'd handled them in the Hoenn, Johto and Kanto regions, especially since they're not doing it right anyway.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Pikachu is demonstrably not weak and has been consistently shown to be a major powerhouse through the *entire series,* so what's it doing easily losing to gym leaders the regional equivalents of it's wiped the floor with for three and more regions?

The funniest thing here is, is that other than Barry's Empoleon and the psyco spiritomb i have no recolection of Ash beating a sinnoh pokemon with Pikachu other than Team Rocket's Carnivine(wow only three, that's not alot), it's like thier trying to milk out sinnoh so much thier making the region's pokemon look and act tougher than the older gen guys, which pikachu really only seems to shine against, other than Jame's carnivine when it comes up against a new pokemon it gets it's butt kicked.

come to think of it, has Pikachu used Thunder at all since coming to sinnoh?

Honestly, it's such a major slap in the face to the series' continuity that I almost wish the writers had handled the Sinnoh team like they'd handled them in the Hoenn, Johto and Kanto regions, especially since they're not doing it right anyway.

Except no team has ever been handled right, so i don't see why the sinnoh team would be any different.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Pikachu's power is proportionate to how far in the season the show has gone.

Near the beginning, Pikachu is weaker then a Level 1 Wurmple.

At the end, Pikachu can eliminate legendaries in a few hits.

Just wait till the end of the season and see the Chu-ster shine.

thunderblade12

All of this is before their first saga even ended; most of Ash's pokemon will probably get a filler arc too:

Pikachu only took down two gym leader owned pokemon so far; it's Ash's least used pokemon in gyms. I think it's a good idea though. Pikachu was in all 8 of the Kanto gyms, and most of the Johto and Hoeen gyms. That's not even counting the Orange Islands and the Battle Frontier where it also got a ton of attention. The writers are taking the smart route and neglecting it instead of one of the Sinnoh pokemon who have a limited amount of time on Ash's team. Of coursee it hasn't been all bad for Pikachu; it starred against Reggie and Jun and was the only pokemon of Ash's that Paul sorta respected.

Grotle took down Roark's strongest pokemon as a Turtwig, semi-starred in Gardenia's gym by taking down her Turtwig which seemed to share the position of 'main pokemon' on her team with Roserade. It also helped in the battles against Allan and Reggie and twice against Paul. It evolved, developed a 'problem', more or less overcame said problem and learned two new attacks.

Chimchar was used against Roark under Paul and took down 6 major opponets in a row; Ursaring, Staraptor, Mismagius and Drifblim. It demolished Fantina and took down both of what you may consider her 'main' pokemon. It's confirmed to evolve and we all know that it will overcome it's blaze problems and give Paul what he has coming to him eventually. All of that and a few new attacks are what we can expect from Chimchar. I will honestly be very surprised if Chimchar didn't evolve all the way to Infernape eventually. In all honestly, Chimchar is probably Ash's best developed pokemon ever, background-wise anyway.

Gliscor overcame its little scardy cat problem and learned two new attacks. It tied with Jun's Roserade and starred in Byron's gym by taking down his most powerful pokemon. He has had the least attention in battles but it's still not terrible; at least he earned Ash a badge which is more than you can say for a lot of Ash's older pokemon. And you know they're gonna do something with Paul's Gliscor. It was the leader of Gligar's old group and they wouldn't have had Paul catch it and keep it for no reason.

Staraptor took down two of Maylene's pokemon in a row. It was Ash's only bird to ever beat a gym leader's pokemon without being fully evolved. It didn't only beat one either; it beat three. It's learned two new attacks now and is confirmed to be used against Candice. It also won the pokeringer contest beating the same Honchkrow who managed to defeat a Dragonite.

Buizel was used against 4 gym leaders in a row, defeating at least one pokemon in 3 of them. It sorta shared spotlight with Staravia against Maylene and took down 2 of Wake's pokemon including Wake's strongest pokemon which just happened to be Buizel's evolved form. It was very successsful in the Wallace Cup considering Ash isn't the best coordinator

I really don't see how any one can say the Sinnoh team isn't developed. IMO they're already far ahead of all three of Ash's other teams and we're probably only about half way through the DPpt series.

Compare this to Kanto, Johto and even AG:

Kanto:
- Ash caught pokemon and only kept them for like 20-30 episodes like Butterfree and Lapras or even just two like Primeape.
- Oaking Ash's pokemon for new ones so that the old ones could be used at a later time seemed to be a foreign idea to the writers back then, they just released them and we never heard from them again.
- Ash caught a lot of reserves (Muk, Tauros, Kingler, Snorlax) but really, none of them ever did anything too major so he might as well not have caught them in the first place. Snorlax is the only one that's even particial acceptable
- Guess who are the only Kanto pokemon to ever really 'shine' in a gym? Pikachu and Charizard. That's all. Not Bulbasaur, not Squirtle, Pidgeoto? Forget it. That can probably be blamed on the writers not having Ash actually win most of the badges fairly though.

Main problem: Ash didn't really have many real battles so his team never got any fair wins. The writers were focusing more on catching pokemon than winning battles and they gave Ash more than they could handle.

Johto:
- Totodile never did anything. At all. Don't fool yourself, it didn't
- Noctowl and Bayleef..meh..they got a gym. Bayleef got a slightly better deal than Noctowl with the crush on Ash and evolving but that's all that separates these two pokemon in the development department. They both learned one new attack..wow..
- Heracross was pretty much a new Muk/Tauros/Kingler
- Phanphy didn't get crap if you don't count the Battle Frontier (where it still didn't do much outside of evolving really).
- Cyndaquil was handled well; I liked the way they handled it.
- The lack of development for this saga can be blamed on Ash using his older pokemon most of the time rather than the new ones.

Main problem: The Kanto pokemon were used to make up for lost time in their saga, however, that just put the Johto pokemon in the same position.

AG:
- This saga was much better now that they learned how to handle Ash pokemon. Rather than bringing the old ones along to act as screentime cancer to Ash's newer pokemon they had Ash Oak them and use them sparingly during the filler saga.
- Almost every one of Ash's new pokemon got to star once or twice. Sceptile, Swellow and Corphish were all handled excellently. Glalie and Torkoal still got the short end of the straw though. I blame it on Pikachu still being used a lot during Hoeen.

Main problem: Pikachu was still used a bunch. In fact, it starred in 3 1/2 gyms (Roxanne, Wattson, Juan and it shared spotlight with Swellow against Tate and Liza).

It seems like the writers have learned from their mistakes with the Sinnoh team.

They ya go; basically my review of the pokemon anime up till now.

Wall of text? Yeah, well it actually all relates to the topic. It only took me about 5 minutes to type so I gotta figure it will only take about 2 minutes to read.

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
How about Piplup stays back and Pika shines?

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I have a feeling Pikachu will be the one who wins the Beacon Badge. Of course Ash would use Pikachu in the electric gym, along with maybe Grotle, and Gliscor because of their resistance. Then of course there's Paul Electabuzz who will probably become Electivire by the time of the Pokemon League. He'll definately be using Pikachu against that.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I have a feeling Pikachu will be the one who wins the Beacon Badge. Of course Ash would use Pikachu in the electric gym, along with maybe Grotle, and Gliscor because of their resistance. Then of course there's Paul Electabuzz who will probably become Electivire by the time of the Pokemon League. He'll definately be using Pikachu against that.

dagon22

Charmander master!
I think if pikachu gets a new attack,it will be charge beam. I think the way it will go is, pikachu will start learning the attack, and won't perfect the attack until some time in the pokemom league.