• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Regi puzzles

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
In R/S/E, in order to capture the three Regi Pokemon you needed to do a series of puzzles. Back in the day, the answers to the puzzles were actually in the R/S/E guidebooks but nowadays you can just look the answers up online.

What did you think of this method to obtain these Pokemon? And were you lucky enough to have the R/S/E instruction manuals with braille?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Wasn't a fan of it. It got to be a bit too much of a pain.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't remember if my Ruby version game manual had the braille section. I simply remember purchasing the guidebook and finding out what to do to unlock Regice, Registeel, and Regirock. I still found the whole subplot to be really tedious, however. I wish that it hadn't involved capturing two rare Water-type Pokemon for instance.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Everyone praises this for actually having an adventure but I found it highly tedious. If I had to choose between this ir Pokèmon being handed to me, I’d take the later. The Regis are medicore so all the effort for them seems pointless

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
My manual had braile, I really enjoyed the puzzles and in hindsight I think that it was an interesting way to teach kids about a creative method of writing. Plus, even though the regis tend to have been competitively not very useful, it made them feel special legendaries because you had to go through an unorthadox quest to get to them.

Although I can see why people would see it as being a bit overcomplicated in needing two specific pokemon in specific spots, plus getting through random puzzles. Just the puzzles would probably have been fine.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
Even Wailord and Relicanth weren't that hard to obtain.

I disagree. The former had to be evolved from its base form at Level 40, or else encountered by Surfing on Route 129 and even then there was only a 1% chance of finding one, while the latter could only be found Underwater and there was only a 5% chance of one appearing.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The internet is the only reason I was able to complete them. It still is now, that's how bad it is

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedJirachi said:
The internet is the only reason I was able to complete them. It still is now, that's how bad it is

When I played OR/AS, I had to go online to figure out how to unlock the three ruins since I couldn't remember exactly how to do it despite having done so in Ruby and Sapphire. The fact that I no longer had a braille chart was the main reason why I couldn't just decipher the braille text in the remakes myself, so I agree that it's still a difficult task these days that requires the Internet.

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
Without any external guides, it’s pretty difficult to do the puzzle. I only was able to compete it once I read online how to do it. I do like the idea of the puzzles and then leading to Legendary Pokémon, but I felt it was a little poorly-executed.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Without any external guides, it’s pretty difficult to do the puzzle. I only was able to compete it once I read online how to do it. I do like the idea of the puzzles and then leading to Legendary Pokémon, but I felt it was a little poorly-executed.

Word of mouth helped me when I tried to complete the Regi side quest. I didn't know what to do until my friend who had internet at his house told me that he discovered the key to unlocking the three Regi Pokemon. But without his help I would've had to buy the RS game guide to figure things out.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
In the GBA games, I heavily relied on the main site to solve the Regi room puzzles since I was playing the games at the time on an emulator. I still use the site since I have trouble translating the Braille messages. Why GF decided to use a writing system that relies solely on touch to make secret messages in a medium where you can’t even read the language the way it was meant to be used is way beyond my comprehension.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedBlastoise said:
Word of mouth helped me when I tried to complete the Regi side quest. I didn't know what to do until my friend who had internet at his house told me that he discovered the key to unlocking the three Regi Pokemon. But without his help I would've had to buy the RS game guide to figure things out.

I don't remember any of my friends knowing about the secret of unlocking the Regi trio when the games first came out, so even word of mouth wouldn't have helped me figure things out back then.

On a related note, it took me ages to figure out that the dots on the faces of each member of the Regi trio were meant to present braille.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
RSE must have included a Braille Alphabet key item. That's the only way a person can solve the puzzle in-game without any resource.

I do remember I solved it via Serebii back in '04-05, which was probably one of my first interactions with the website.

Captain Jigglypuff

The key was included in the game box along with the game guide.
Which was a massive mistake as very few people kept those manuals after buying and opening a game and if you bought the game used or used an emulator then you would have no way to decode the messages other than the internet which was still difficult to find stuff like this that was accurate back then.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Which was a massive mistake as very few people kept those manuals after buying and opening a game and if you bought the game used or used an emulator then you would have no way to decode the messages other than the internet which was still difficult to find stuff like this that was accurate back then.
I don't think it's GameFreak's problem if people have trouble with emulators to be honest.

Captain Jigglypuff

I don't think it's GameFreak's problem if people have trouble with emulators to be honest.
I understand that but I first played RSE on an emulator in secret because my family refused to let me even look at anything Pokémon related and I had no GBA nor did I know about the Braille puzzle. I was just desperate to play Pokémon without being caught by my family and playing them on an emulator on the laptop I used for school work was my only option at the time.