• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Reluctant Pikachu and the Exasperated Mr. Mime (1119)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Pikachu, one day of not training was wasted on you sulking for trying to train. Normally people shift their schedules accordingly.

It was on him, not Ash, and he held Ash responsible for Pikachu's selfish wishes.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I enjoyed the episode but Pikachu was still being quite a brat just for the sake of drama. Besides the ending scene with him and Ash, I didn't care for any part of the episode centered around Pikachu. Delia and Mimey carried the episode.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Riolu: I want to get stronger!

*Riolu OHKO's electabuzz and two farfetch'd*

Pikachu: You're already as strong as a fully-evolved pokémon.

Riolu: I WANT TO GET STRONGER!

Pikachu: Right, I'm outta here. Not putting up with entitled little punks today. Lemme know when the plot makes sense again.

-
Sweet mother of mew what a waste of time

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
This episode does raise the question that the player never has to worry about in game... what if you started favoring one Pokemon and neglected the others on your team? How would that neglect affect their feelings towards you? Would they want to leave you? Would they have a grudge against the favored Pokemon?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
This episode does raise the question that the player never has to worry about in game... what if you started favoring one Pokemon and neglected the others on your team? How would that neglect affect their feelings towards you? Would they want to leave you? Would they have a grudge against the favored Pokemon?
We've seen episodes where literally not all of Ash's mons appear from morning to sunset, and yet they're BFFs the next moment we see them. For whatever reason, this one occasion is forced to be special.

What's a Gengar?

Deitylight

Legendary Trainer
It would explain why some of the Pokemon brawl it out in camp even if they're best friends with said Pokemon while having the maximum bond with those Pokemon.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
I agree with some comments here: this episode felt OC and kind of forced. There were some touching and nice scenes but still does not make sense for Pikachu to get jealous like that.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
It's also kinda funny because it makes it clear that the writers know they are reusing the jealousy plot from the last week's episode and they don't care.

That's because they aren't reusing it. Pikachu may be jealous like yamper but the way they were jealous and how it was handled was completely different, this episode was unique. Also it brings nice inner continuity for the series for them to reference fillers like that.

Lelouch-Red

I made a comment for the bonding episode of Go and Rabifoot and thought it will be the last, but after seeing some comments I must write something.

First, we must clarify Pikachu’s jealousy.

Was Pikachu “particularly” jealous at Riolu or was his jealousy due to Ash’s attitude towards Pikachu?

I’m for the second one, because as we can see Pikachu wasn’t jealous until Ash didn’t train with it. At the beginning Pikachu supported Riolu to win the battle, then Pikachu watched Riolu train and “waited for its turn to train with Ash”.

All this jealousy thing comes up, after Ash didn’t train with it and gave zero attention of Pikachu’s needs.

In compare, Yamper’s situation was quite different. Yamper was clearly annoyed and jealous of Pidov.

İf Pikachu would be particularly annoyed of Riolu I would expected behaviors like Yamper’s, a physical conflict between Pikachu and Riolu.

To the episode:

Pikachu’s jealousy was totally justified. It was Ash’s fault that Pikachu ran away. We see the emotional breakpoint of Pikachu after Delia goes away. (I like how PJ portrays Pokemon not only as battle creatures, but like real animals with real emotions)

A nice character development for Delia as we see her how she cares for her son and pokemon. The scene with Pikachu and Delia was very heartwarming.

Riolu is Alain‘s Charizard 2.0. We never saw a baby Pokemon such extremly strong. It will become OP if its evolving into Lucario (+mega hopefully)

aaaand a nice touch to the spearow episode where Ash and Pikachu connected.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Pikachu, one day of not training was wasted on you sulking for trying to train. Normally people shift their schedules accordingly.

It was on him, not Ash, and he held Ash responsible for Pikachu's selfish wishes.

You could tell that part to Riolu then? He was the one who wanted all attention and training time possible.

I'm really surprised there was no aesop about Riolu over-doing or monopolizing attention which was one of the key issues that the episode had. Riolu should have apologized alongside Ash. It'd be the one time where his on-screen presence would have significance.

But production be danmed if they show the Lucario species as even slightly entitled and selfish. They must be put on a pedestal and worshipped to no end.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
But production be danmed if they show the Lucario species as even slightly entitled and selfish. They must be put on a pedestal and worshipped to no end.
Um, Korrina's Lucario broke her arm after tossing a temper tantrum not landing a hit on Pikachu.

Or was it a bite? I don't know. I do recall she had her arm resting on a shoulder hanger (don't know how that's called).

Pteranodonte

I am now thinking that there is a mild possibility of Ash’s Pidgeot coming back.
The series is based in Kanto and almost every episode has references to the Original Series, so yeah.
Also they are foreshadowing Pidgeot's eventual comeback since ep. 07 with that random blurry Pidgeot out of the blue, or like when Ash's Pokédex interrupted just before giving information on Pidgeot in ep. 20, or today's appearance of the Spearow's flock in Pallet Town and the last episode aggressive Fearow. I would not be surprised if Pidgeot will show up for an episode.

I'd say that plot was handled better with Yamper last week. It feels way more justified specially considered what we knew about Yamper's relationship with Chloe.

Odd thing is that Ash's had other baby he gave plenty of attention like Phanpy, Larvitar, Scraggie and Noibat, yet Pikachu is specifically having an issue with freaking Riolu?

I don't think Pikachu had an issue with Riolu so to say, more so towards Satoshi being so absorbed with training Riolu to the point where Pikachu was ignored/didn't get as much attention. And once again, I'm not saying that the viewers HAVE to believe that it is justified. Again, "sibling rivalries" aren't always justified. Through Pikachu's perspective, he felt like his jealousy was justified.

And yes, Satoshi did give attention to those baby Pokemon, but I'd say he's giving even more attention to Riolu? I might be recalling incorrectly, but the amount of attention Satoshi is giving Riolu seems to be more than what he gave to his prior baby Pokemon, especially because Riolu is a battler and wants to grow stronger. The other four weren't necessarily Pokemon who were obsessed with battling and growing stronger, I don't think.

And even then, Satoshi still paid attention to Pikachu's needs as well as his previous baby Pokemon.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
Ash was a real jerk in this episode lmao.

Pikachu: wants to battle, wants to battle
Ash: nah, we gotta keep training Riolu
Pikachu: annoyed, but understands. later falls asleep while waiting
Ash: lol Pikachu you can't be lazy like this when I send you out to battle

I would also be annoyed

Yes, i annoyed as well when i see that scene , pikachu jealousy is justified

dman_dustin

A lot of people say Pikachu was justified. Seeing the subs I disagree.

If Pikachu had been more vocal about training cutting before Riolu, I'd say Pikachu would've trained. But Riolu was the first one to make any sort of "train me" like after dinner, had Pikachu gone first and was ready to train, Ash might've trained Pikachu.

And Ash was going to pay attention to Pikachu but Pikachu fell asleep and Ash thought Pikachu was disinterested and was being disrespectful. Like the moment Ash said "Riolu was working hard too" and Pikachu was ready to zap Ash. At least Ash wasn't angry.

And a lot of this is coming out of nowhere to even begin with. Like there's no measure of time, but the episode tried (and failed) to make it seem like this was some kind of recurring thing, the issue with that, is it doesn't make sense, the curse of being episodic I guess, and trying to portray a serial plot in an episodic fashion is why this failed.

I'm not completely hating on this episode. This episode was heavily emotional. But it would've better better if it wasn't about "Pikachu made about Ash training Riolu"

They must be put on a pedestal and worshipped to no end.
Apparently so must Pikachu.

The criticism of Riolu/Lucario, let me blunt, will never make any damn sense. Opinions be opinions and that's all I can derive out of it.

I get it, people hate Riolu hate Lucario, but holy jesus christ on a cracker is it absolutely NOT necessary to make EVERY damn post about Riolu/Lucario negative/hateful towards the Pokemon. It's honestly annoying. You don't see me complaining about Klinklang every chance I get, do you?

Like at the end of the day "WE GET IT" move on would you? Or don't....whatever.

Because the way I see it, Riolu is a baby and needs all the experience it can get if it's going to take out Elite Four Champion Pokemon in the future, and remember Paul destroyed Maylene's Lucario and mocked her for it. Ash's hypothetical Lucario cannot just be sitting its poke ball gathering dust no matter how much people want it to be. If its going to go against Paul for example, it's going to need all the focus it gets.

The only time I would understand people's criticism, in which they would make sense to me. Is if Ash were to use Riolu/Lucario for 3 PWC matches in a row, and I mean 1 vs 1's as well and someone like Gengar hasn't seen over 20 episodes or perhaps Ash's next capture we don't even see in the following few episodes.

Sure Riolu is stronger than Farfetch'd, so I wouldn't be opposed to Riolu taking the backseat for a bit, as long as Farfetch'd got some focus, but who knows, we might just have to rely on Riolu and Farfetch'd training each other.

My other issue I have is that people complained about Ash not training his Pokemon. But god forbid as LONG as it's NOT Riolu, right?

Last edited:
A lot of people say Pikachu was justified. Seeing the subs I disagree.

If Pikachu had been more vocal about training cutting before Riolu, I'd say Pikachu would've trained. But Riolu was the first one to make any sort of "train me" like after dinner, had Pikachu gone first and was ready to train, Ash might've trained Pikachu.

And Ash was going to pay attention to Pikachu but Pikachu fell asleep and Ash thought Pikachu was disinterested and was being disrespectful. Like the moment Ash said "Riolu was working hard too" and Pikachu was ready to zap Ash. At least Ash wasn't angry.

And a lot of this is coming out of nowhere to even begin with. Like there's no measure of time, but the episode tried (and failed) to make it seem like this was some kind of recurring thing, the issue with that, is it doesn't make sense, the curse of being episodic I guess, and trying to portray a serial plot in an episodic fashion is why this failed.

I'm not completely hating on this episode. This episode was heavily emotional. But it would've better better if it wasn't about "Pikachu made about Ash training Riolu"
Well, going back to the subs I feel like despite being episodic, they did an okay job of showcasing why Pikachu was jealous? Pikachu was attempting to be vocal about wanting to battle next. Even after Hanako leaves for Masara Town, Pikachu goes straight to Satoshi, expressing its want to battle, to which Satoshi just shrugs aside and says that he has to wait his turn. (As if Pikachu hasn't already been waiting). I'm not sure what you mean by them trying and failing to make it seem like it was a recurring thing? It was a recurring thing in this episode in my opinion.

This is the nature of episodic episodes to begin with since they don't want their viewers to have to watch every single episode to know what is going on, to which I agree with you that it is a flaw/curse.

EDIT: I feel like Kazuniya's post sums it up well:

Ash was a real jerk in this episode lmao.

Pikachu: wants to battle, wants to battle
Ash: nah, we gotta keep training Riolu
Pikachu: annoyed, but understands. later falls asleep while waiting
Ash: lol Pikachu you can't be lazy like this when I send you out to battle

I would also be annoyed

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Ash is a jerk in this episode. Him and Pikachu traveled for so long, yet he couldn't understand Pikachu's feelings. Oh well, I guess it was setup so we can have a Pikachu & Mr. Mime adventure. Riolu is really battle hungry though, not so surprised since it kinda fits its line.

Like the last episode the wild Spearow line is treated as the occasional bad guys again.

The episode was ok to me. Sure Pikachu was more expressive than usual but it was its focused episode. I did like to see more of Mr. Mime though, it acts like a caretaker just like Ash's mother.

dman_dustin

Even after Hanako leaves for Masara Town, Pikachu goes straight to Satoshi, expressing its want to battle, to which Satoshi just shrugs aside and says that he has to wait his turn. (As if Pikachu hasn't already been waiting).
From Ash's perspective though Pikachu has been a brat though. Pikachu let Riolu/Ash go and train at night. Pikachu stayed with Delia. And then when Pikachu woke up, Pikachu didn't want to say goodbye to Delia, and then when Ash and Riolu go train that's when Ash was like "Wait your turn" and then Pikachu decided to run away

I understand that Ash should've been like "You know I haven't done anything with Pikachu let me get some quick training in with Pikachu against Dragonite/Gengar or maybe even LIKE in the previous episode USE Pikachu to train Riolu" but with the way Pikachu was acting, I could understand that Ash might have employed a "First Come First Serve" where Riolu just was like "ME ME ME" before Pikachu. Which is unfortunate but maybe Pikachu should've put more effort into wanting to train, maybe even attacking Riolu or acting battle heavy towards Riolu to get it in the mood to want to battle against it (or train). Though would Riolu be negatively affected by being attacked, which would cause Ash to get mad at Pikachu?

The absolute worst thing about this episode is, like I said, Ash could've JUST USED PIKACHU AGAINST RIOLU AND PROBABLY THIS EPISODE COULD NOT EXIST. I have LITERALLY no idea why Ash was putting Riolu up against Go's Farfetch'd and Beedrill. Like Go what the hell, maybe you want to train your Pokemon as well but read the room, let Pikachu train against Riolu at the very least.

I'm not sure what you mean by them trying and failing to make it seem like it was a recurring thing?
I meant them trying to act like this was a thing that always happened as opposed to obviously just being used for a plot this episode. Like I said if we saw signs of this in other episodes, maybe it would've been more justified than "justified for this episode" justified. And of course the intentional forcing of Ash only using Riolu and only using Farfetch'd when like I said a lot of the issues would've been resolved if Ash just used Pikachu against Riolu.

I don't know why the writer (producers) made Ash incredibly stupid or why they insisted on forcing the issue that Ash could ONLY train Riolu and Pikachu had to be thrown to the curb. Like was it so impossible to train more than one Pokemon. I thought that would've been the point with Farfetch'd and Go's interference. It wasn't even brought up at all.

It's like this episode should've aired first (Yamper episode and this episode altered a bit) and the Riolu vs Pikachu scene from the Yamper scene occuring after, to indicate yes Pikachu can be used to train it and Riolu.

Maybe Ash uses an entirely different training regimen for Pikachu, but at the very LEAST Ash would've paid attention to Pikachu even if that special training was pushed back until later.

It was just TOO forced.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Honestly, this episode feels like a reskin of the last episode and yet I'm also reminded of the events from DP164.
Also, I do kinda want to see Ash lose a PWC battle at some point, just to give him some sort of setback this saga.

Onto serious thoughts:
To be fair, I'd say it was Ash's fault that Pikachu ran away, though Riolu shares some of the blame as well. Ash didn't understand that Pikachu wanted to train as well, but Riolu was so insistent to keep training that it annoyed Pikachu to the point of exasperation and falling asleep, and Ash didn't understand that Pikachu felt sidelined and instead thought Pikachu was being lazy, saying that he can't be like that in battles, even when Pikachu zapped him, like what the heck? Though it wasn't until the end of Delia's sudden appearance that it became apparent. The fact that Pikachu wanted to go back to Pallet Town reminded me of DP164 when Piplup intended on going back to Rowan's lab after getting annoyed one too many times that Gible wasn't scolded for its running gag. I liked the fact that there was a nod to EP001 when Pikachu defeated the Spearows that swarmed at Mimey, and reminded him about when him and Ash bonded after the Spearow attack. At least Ash learned his lesson after Koharu made Ash watch the last episode (my headcanon), though I feel that when he realised that Pikachu had gone he was reminded of what happened in DP164 and headed to Pallet Town to apologise.