• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Reluctant Pikachu and the Exasperated Mr. Mime (1119)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
To me, an episode like this would’ve made a lot more sense back in Kalos (something I actually thought they were going to do back then) or with more buildup prior, but it was quite cute overall. Some of the scenes involving Mimey and Pikachu dragged on but it was sweet to see them interacting more. What really got me though was the final scene, there was something so tender and emotional about the narration and that end card. Episodes involving the Ketchum family always have this cozy feeling that this episode did well in replicating, 8/10.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
This episode was one that I was not looking forward but it proved me wrong in so many ways.

I thought that Pikachu's jealousy was going to be so OOC after so many regions these two have traveled together. I think this episode managed to show Ash in the wrong here where I could see where Pikachu was coming from. Riolu just got a WCS win and then its time to train. So Pikachu is excited to battle, yet Riolu is chosen. Pikachu pout and sits down anxiously waiting his turn. Ash gets so focused on Riolu that time flies by and so bored Pikachu falls asleep. Then Ash finally goes to it and has the audacity to tell Pikachu he can't use him in official battles if that's how he's gonna act [lazy]. Well excuse you mister, he was waiting for a whole day. Pikachu feeling ignored after dinner, clings onto Delia, so when she leaves, Pikachu tries appealing to Ash again. He gets ignored for Riolu for the third time. Pikachu decides to chase after Delia.

Okay, I have to say, Delia made the episode for me. When Chloe mentioned that Pikachu might be jealous, Delia immediately went to Pikachu and tried to make him remember that he's special to Ash. That scene with her and Pikachu in bed was so sweet, the lullaby was cute, and Ash is definitely her child with that sleeping pose lmao. BTW Delia is so pretty with her hair down. I liked the pajama design and colors too. It's something I would wear if I ever saw a guy version in a store. Then finally, she went full-on Mother mode when she scolded Pikachu for worrying the family. Piakchu got booped on the head and got called "Bad" lmao I love it.

I wish we could have seen Chloe scold Ash about how he was inconsiderate of Pikachu's feeling. (Which that was pretty OOC of him, I'm not gonna lie. Especially post-OS.)

I'd call this a B- episode.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Soniman

Break the Limit
One thing that bothered me was that Ash seemed to learn his lesson entirely off screen. Like I think having a small scene of Koharu letting Ash know what a idiot he's been would've sufficed. Also I didn't see Pikachu as being OOC given the circumstances, though it is rather funny he didn't bat an eye when Ash exclusively focused on training Greninja for days but gets in a tizzy when he focuses on Riolu for like...one day

So I finally watched this episode and it was both boring and totally OOC. One of the hallmarks of good writing is making characters and plots believable and unfortunately, that flew out the window with how Pikachu and to a lesser extent Ash acted this episode.

The best part about this episode were the faces that Pikachu made. Also Barried being a total bro.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I just watched the beginning of the episode in sub& yeah, I can totally get Pikachu’s feelings, though I see it more as being upset with Ash than jealousy towards Riolu. Yamper was more jealousy because it was specifically upset atthat Pidove for taking away Chloe’s attention, but Pikachu seems less upset at Riolu & more upset with Ash for the way he acted.

I know that Ash wasn’t trying to be bad and only focuses on Riolu because of how pumped it was after it’s win, not to mention Ash is giving extra attention to Riolu since it’s his first baby pokémon (and I mean an actual baby pokémon, not a young version of a common one like Phanpy, Scraggy, & Noibat were). However, all throughout the beginning Ash unknowingly acts like a jerk towards Pikachu and goes against everything he said about them being partners and unintentionally shafts him over & over. Heck, he wasn’t even like this when training Pokémon like Sceptile or Greninja since he always made time for Pikachu whenever it needed him or it wanted to spar with the others.

Even though Ash & Pikachu have been together for years, the way Ash acted in the beginning made it seem as if he took everything they’ve been through and threw it down the drain. So while Pikachu’s actions were stupid they were understandable for the most part

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think he wanted to type "sub" but end up typing "dub"

I can relate since I've made similar mistakes in the past.

Opal Pikachu13

People do think that Pikachu being jealous should've been in the Kalos region, I'd think even back in the Johto region when he didn't get registered for Ash's team in the Johto League (which I am definitely confused about how he'd pick one of his Tauroses over Pikachu) would work as well, but Pikachu didn't really seem OOC in this episode.
The way Ash was acting however towards Pikachu, and being dumbfounded over his feelings, definitely felt off, especially since Ash and Pikachu have this great bond and friendship for many seasons.

Pikachu kept waiting for a turn to battle, and all Ash was focused on was with Riolu after he won a Championship with it, constantly training with Riolu and ignoring Pikachu, it made it seem that he was not really jealous of Riolu, but the way Ash was treating him was making him upset and ignored. He turned to Ash's mom Deliah for comfort, and she tried to tell Pikachu that Ash still thinks he's special, which reminded me when Ash himself back on the Hoenn episode, "Having a Wailord of a Time", told Max that May still cares for Torchic, for it is her first Pokemon which makes it special, even though she was training so much with Beautifly for her contest match. So if he told Max this way back, it made this really feel off that Ash himself was acting a bit like how May was acting towards Torchic with Beautifly, except with Riolu with Pikachu.

Pikachu reached his breaking point when after Deliah left the next day, Ash decided AGAIN to go run off to train with Riolu, and ran off, with Mr. Mime trying to get Pikachu to stay by the lab. They had cute moments together, and I enjoyed the reference of the first Pokemon episode when Mr. Mime was saved by Pikachu the same way from a flock of Spearows just as he did for Ash. Ash finally knew that he was in the wrong and apologized to Pikachu for making him feel lonely, and that Chloe lectured him about that. Deliah herself was worried about Pikachu and scolded him, but I think she should've scolded Ash more for making Pikachu feel that way.

So all in all, wasn't a bad episode, but it should've also shown Chloe's lecture to Ash and maybe even have Deliah scold Ash for being that way to Pikachu instead of Deliah a bit mad with Pikachu running off. 7.5/10

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Nice to see Riolu gets its first WCS win

cool to find out from y'all in this thread that it's the same guy from the Visquez episode

Pikachu smiling and putting on Ash's cap in the title card animation made me laugh bc it was so ironically juxtaposed with the title itself. Pikachu certainly would not be smiling like that if he were feeling betrayed, bothered, and beleaguered!

This was such a fun and cute episode, the flashback was quite touching. I ABSOLUTELY love Mr Mime and it was nice to see Delia again. Cant wait for people to trash on this episode coz its a filler and they dont like the premise lol. Pikachu wasnt really that unjustified and its no way similar to the prev episode. This was a good watch

I disagree that it was in no way similar to the previous episode -- in fact the similarity is what allowed Chloe to explain to Ash how Yamper felt which made him understand how Pikachu felt

How did Ash know that pikachu would be in Palllet town? And why doesnt he sleep in his own bed?

because where else would Pikachu be?

Unless they're trying to rape, pillage, and burn. Then you can break their necks for free.

ok..........this is not where I expected this thread to turn

I just like the idea of Ash singing a lullaby to Pikachu. It's so wholesome and one of the few times we hear Ash sing in-universe, if ever.

Unfortunately, in the dub, I did not believe that Sarah Natochenny distinguished her delia singing voice from her ash singing voice enough. It just sounded like Delia singing again at the end tbh. It made me laugh and I sadly did not experience the wholesomeness y'all did

Outside of Kukui's, every Lucario defeat was an important story lesson.

You're telling me the worst episode in Pokémon history, BWS2-24: A Unova League Evolution!, has an important story lesson?

She did. It's in reference to last episode's plot with Yamper.

I loved this connection! they definitely planned these two episodes back-to-back on purpose!

I'd say that plot was handled better with Yamper last week. It feels way more justified specially considered what we knew about Yamper's relationship with Chloe.

Odd thing is that Ash's had other baby he gave plenty of attention like Phanpy, Larvitar, Scraggie and Noibat, yet Pikachu is specifically having an issue with freaking Riolu?

Riolu's the first true baby

It's also kinda funny because it makes it clear that the writers know they are reusing the jealousy plot from the last week's episode and they don't care.

No, they know they're reusing it and it was planned on purpose so that Chloe could help Ash based on her learned knowledge, not "they don't care"

on a shoulder hanger (don't know how that's called).

in a sling!:)

my headcanon

I don't even think this is a headcanon - she mentioned Yamper's jealousy at dinner

missed the pokemon sometime during the creek scene

or when they took the wrong turn with the hitchhikee

Am I forgetting someone

Sorrel and Professor Kukui

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
You're telling me the worst episode in Pokémon history, BWS2-24: A Unova League Evolution!, has an important story lesson?
The lesson being way dumber people than Ash can screw him good for...some reason. Stupid lesson, I know, but still a weird *** lesson.
Riolu's the first true baby
Larvitar was more baby than any other baby under Ash's care.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I disagree that it was in no way similar to the previous episode -- in fact the similarity is what allowed Chloe to explain to Ash how Yamper felt which made him understand how Pikachu felt

What I meant was that the plotline/storyline was different. Just because Pikachu was jealous like Yamper doesn't mean this episode was similar to the previous one, esp since many ppl before this kept saying how they are copying and reusing the same.plot multiple times back when this episode was to air and we only had summaries