• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Retelling of Pokémon Colosseum

Crocojaw47

Travelling Pilgrim
Oh, hey, could I be on the PM list? :-D

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
WE'RE DOING THIS MAN. WE'RE MAKING IT HAPPEN.
(It's just a new review...)
GOG DAMN, IT HAS ALL THE WORDS. ALL OF THEM.
This seems off. Dunno why.
Off as in the wording or just that Ein was awake for so long?
And then I realized that made PERFECT SENSE. Eusine, Suicune, hilarity. How I failed to figure it out the first time around is beyond me.
That was basically my thought process. =D
You cannot beat Nascour in a destroying-electronics-off. He is simply the best there is.
If only there was a competition for such a thing...
This is pretty confusing. Why does Miror B. have to mess up everything?
As established earlier he's bringing down Cipher from the inside in his own way (hence him leaking info about cipher's strike on mt battle and now this).
Skrub is a moron.
Yeah, he kinda is. XD Cheers for the review!
Look out here comes the Suicune Man! XD
He already has his theme music and various potential catch-phrases! Like 'Are you Suicune?' and 'There goes Suicune!'
Oh, Umbreon only you would say something like that, and Rui's Quagsire is epic.
Quagsire as a Pokemon has grown on me a lot since writing this fic. XD
Yes, that makes perfect sense. It's all Miror B! It's all HIM!!

Good work again bobandbill. Looking forward to the next installment.
Well, him and Skrub. And Wes and Rui and the police. XD Thanks, and hope you'll enjoy the next chapter!
Please but me on the pm list for new chapter
Rotmknight
Oh, hey, could I be on the PM list? :-D
Yes, you both can and are added, but note posts like that are against the rules here - gotta say somthing about the fic beyodn 'I liked it' or 'Pm list please', etc. Speaking of which - any comments on it?
This is Nathan Explosion.
I see...
Depends; have you battled him a krillions billions times? If so, then you're about halfway there.
How much is a krillion again?
Anyway... You know what this chapter has made me realize that there needs to be? A game in which Miror B. goes around trying to slap afro wigs on everyone and everything that he can, that's what.
I feel a DDR Miror B version would be better somehow...
QUICK, SOMEBODY DRAW THIS.
If only I could draw. =( Oh wait, that doesn't require drawing skills...
Suicune senses, huh. I wonder if this means that Suicune bit him at some point in the past.
...Hmm. Who knows - maybe as a means of self defense?
...Okay, you know what? Sometimes I misread things the first time around. Well, guess what I initially misread that as. Go on, guess.
...made out with himself...? o_O
Thank goodness he didn't fall on his kiester while doing that. But then again, he might be too graceful for such to have ever been a concern for him anyway.
Yeah, I don't think it's much of a worry for him. After all, this is a man who can do backflips despite that afro of his. XD
Thanks again for the usual awesome review!

Also boc/Mia did an art thingy of the Grave Destroyer of Souls! I felt it worthy of the link here. =p

boc

crappy image spam
The Retelling of Pokemon Colosseum said:
Andrew looked at him before glancing at the card – it was covered in sparkles and a poorly drawn image of Eusine and Suicune with the phrase ‘best friends’ written messily below it.
Sike Saner said:
QUICK, SOMEBODY DRAW THIS!
bobandbill said:
If only I could draw. =( Oh wait, that doesn't require drawing skills...
An obscure irc channel... said:
<bobandbill> note also sike had in her review 'SOMEONE DRAW THIS' regarding something if you ever wanted another drawing idea
<Mia> okay
(somewhat later)
<Mia> oh
<Mia> a poorly drawn image of Eusine and Suicune
<Mia> I can do that xD
<bobandbill> BEST FRIENDS
<Mia> okay, I'll plan to do that tomorrow night
And so I did! It's here if you want to look, guys. :p

My long-overdue review of that chapter (because I didn't tell you in irc, iirc xD):

Tom began his sixteenth attempt at convincing the train to stop moving so fast and noisily, but yet again had little success. No matter how many times he waved his empty bottle of beer or sung obscure national anthems, the train continued on its way as it rattled loudly through the dark tunnel and paid the man no heed. Giving up for a few minutes, he decided to sit down and contemplate, gazing at the spinning ceiling as he did so.

Tommsy no this likes, he concluded, before getting back to his feet bursting into a fresh chorus of what he believed to be Orre’s anthem.
I loved this. I especially liked that he didn't break out into Orre's anthem, just what he thought Orre's anthem was. xD
Tom is amazing, really.

“Strange, Bill, I would have thought that nobody was due to come here,” one of the men said quietly to the other as they noticed the newcomer’s footsteps; they were unable to see Tom clearly from their side of the train. He frowned – he had been having a most enthralling conversation with his colleague about the intricacies of making sandwiches with limited supplies in dangerous situations. They did not have much to talk about after all, being the typical Cipher guards told to guard an empty train station for a surprisingly decent wage. The two were pretty low on the Cipher ladder and hence knew little about what actually went on in the lab save the essentials, and had already exhausted far more normal topics three weeks ago.
By "surprisingly decent wage", do you mean that they actually get the minimum wage (because I'm thinking most people in Orre wouldn't), or are they getting more than that? :O

“No... wait a second, Bob, I believe that’s an intruder there,” the other replied. “Only one person and we’d have heard if it was Venus by now.”
Venus... makes her presence known. xD;

As they had run out of space in the normal jail cells they had resorted to chaining the new prisoners to the top of the building while a new temporary prison could be constructed, and gave each a piece of cardboard to protect themselves from the sun. They hadn’t been happy about the arrangement but stopped protesting when Sherles suggested that they perhaps preferred being given the Orre law treatment. It turned out that everyone had been rather fond of their left arm.
I'm thinking that the "Orre law treatment" wouldn't be for them to have their arm cut off - more like having to search the sewer for valuables with it, or something else that would make them wish it'd been cut off. xD

Venus however got her own private cell, although that didn’t cheer her up at all. She took to screaming for her fans to save her from such a grubby place and put her on a television show before she died of a lack of cherry-flavoured lipstick, until Rui had enough of her shouts disrupting any possible conversations and threatened to let Quagsire sit with her in the cell. This had also worked extraordinarily well.
Oh how I love your characterisations of particular Pokemon. xD

Meanwhile Wes’ Pokémon had recovered from the battle effects of Attract. It took a good dose of food and in Umbreon’s case television, and Makuhita’s case anger management heaped upon Johnson to take their mind off the Delcatty initially, but afterwards they seemed to have forgotten about the cat Pokémon’s existence completely, bar Espeon who seemed somewhat embarrassed about the whole event. Johnson seemed the most relieved to see them make a full recovery.
Poor Johnson xD
I bet Makuhita just gets this red haze with an image of Johnson in it whenever it gets angry, then just chases him down to use as a punching bag. I'd also be willing to bet that Wes, Rui and Sherles have nothing against this. :p

However with no mayor remaining they didn’t have much choice – it appeared that he had left in the last few days, but to where was another question.
DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN! *cue Evice battle music* :p

“Esp Espeon-espi,” (I take it Sherles has asked this person to come to clear up some plot points-er, give more info on Suicune,) Espeon offered.
Espeon knows exactly where you're going with this. xP

“Oh, I always know where Suicune is,” he said mysteriously with a wide grin. “But never fear! I merely wish to... gaze upon it.”
“He scares me,” Rui said quietly to Wes who nodded his agreement.
Does Eusine drive a van that looks like this, by any chance? :p

It’s said there’s only one of each ofthem around at any one time but that’s not so clear, but what is certain is that even if there are more than one of each, their number is few.
There needs to be a space between of and them! :3

“And... what cause is that?” Rui asked in confusion.

“Quiet! My Suicune senses are tingling!” Eusine shouted as he charged off into the prison cells. An elated shout followed a moment later.
Yup, I agree; he was definitely bitten by a radioactive Suicune. :p

“Johnson, fetch a clean glass of water please,” Sherles said as the officer ran off.

“But I said....” Eusine said, but a moment later Johnson had returned with water with a green tinge to it and a few specks of dirt floating about in it.
I don't know whether to be concerned about whether the town water supply is tainted or amused at Johnson's incompetence in mixing up the terms "clean" and "dirty". xD

“That appears to be Nascour’s new television,” someone else answered. “Or was.”

“So I take it he heard more bad news just now?” another queried.

“STUPID VENUS! STUPID POLICE! STUPID...EVERYTHING!” was suddenly shouted from above before another object flew out.

“And there goes his computer too,” muttered a third.

“Man,” Dakim said, shaking his head.
Bet Nascour's computer's a Dell! :p

All turned to see why she would ask such a question and were greeted with the sight of fencing composed of light-blue lasers shimmering in the desert sunlight.

“Well it turns out they’re pretty well guarded here,” Sherles remarked gruffly. “It’s not very high but I don’t think any of us can jump over it or anything with ease... maybe we’d need to use our Pokémon to get over but that would be a timely operation in itself- JOHNSON GET THE HECK AWAY FROM THERE!” Sherles barked, but Johnson was too busy inspecting the fence for himself.

“I wonder if it’s hot?” Johnson said as he walked into the fence only to find himself on the other side, remarkably unaffected.
Oh, Johnson. Gotta love a man who can walk through laser-fences!

“...Don’t tell me,” Rui said faintly, “that those lasers are fake...”
Lol, nope! There goes your cool guy image, Johnson!

“What’s going on?” he shouted at the room. “I wanted some sleep and I find all of you having a rave party instead of doing work!”

“Doom, doom, all is doomed!” a researcher shouted as he ran about in circles.
It's an emo rave party, to boot!

“Quiet, you,” Ein said as he slapped the man, the sound echoing around the complex – a few took notice and then more noticed those; within a mere moment all had quietened down.
Silly, silly Cipher agents! This is workplace violence! The police are right outside, you don't even have to call them! Assert your rights as employees!

“But why is-” Ein began before he was cut off by the PA system suddenly playing extremely loud, upbeat music comprised mostly of a piano tune.

“What the heck is Miror B up to now?” Ein shouted.
Well /obviously/ he has good taste in music, as opposed to the emo-rave-scientisticians!

“Okay, one passenger... what an unkempt hairstyle though!” Miror B frowned before checking his bag. “Ah yes, good thing I still have Folly and Trudly’s!” he exclaimed as he pulled out a fake afro in the same style as his and placed it on the man’s head.
I agree with whoever it was who suggested that there needs to be a hairisite game for the afros. This may or may not happen at the next NZ portion of Global Game Jam :p

“There, much more groovy!” he exclaimed as he then turned to the controls and pressed some buttons, sending the train on its way. “Now, my Ludicolo,” he said as he released his remaining Pokémon, “what say we turn this trip into a party train?”
The Ludicolo quacked happily in response.
Heck, I almost quacked happily in response! xD

“Why are Cipher having a party here?” Rui asked Wes as they entered the laboratory behind the group of police who had begun the battle.
BECAUSE MIROR B SAID SO.

“There, this should override it!” one scientist sitting by a computer suddenly shouted as he typed away, only to cover his ears as the music was replaced by a loud, obnoxious siren instead. Everyone glared at him, including his own colleagues.

“Oh god no,” one shouted at him. “At least turn off the sound, don’t replace it with that!”

“But I can’t,” the former shouted back as he tried to further change the settings. “Whatever he did, he rigged it up pretty well... but maybe this will help us!”

“Well change it back!” one of the policemen shouted angrily.

“Or we’ll press extra charges for noise pollution!” Johnson added.
Johnson gets all the best lines xD

“Makuhita!” (Why must strange music keep playing during battles?) Makuhita complained.
Makuhita obviously wants to listen to Crush 40!

“Maku Hita!” (Tambourines can die!) the Fighting Pokémon shouted as he charged forward and struck the barrier himself, shattering it out of existence.
Possible image of Makuhita smashing a tambourine maybe!

Umbreon and Espeon moved forward and began their own attacks on an Electrode and quickly took it down, while Feraligatr crept up on an unsuspecting Cipher grunt and held him up high above the ground.

“Please don’t hurt me,” the man whispered as he stared in fear. Feraligatr glared back before shrugging.

“Fera!” (Sure!) he said as he lowered the man down. He sighed with relief, only for Makuhita to run past and deliver an almighty punch to the unfortunate man, before nodding his thanks to the Feraligatr.

“Bring me back up bring me back up!” the man cried.
Awww, teamwork! How heartwarming! <3
(that was ironic)
(all of the irony)

Aaaaand I'll end the review there because I really should be getting to bed. :/

Last edited:

GroundBlaze

Starter Keeper
Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
And so I did! It's here if you want to look, guys. :p
As I said before, it is amazing. XD
My long-overdue review of that chapter (because I didn't tell you in irc, iirc xD):
\o/
I loved this. I especially liked that he didn't break out into Orre's anthem, just what he thought Orre's anthem was. xD

Tom is amazing, really.
Amazing he is, but an amazing singer he is not.
By "surprisingly decent wage", do you mean that they actually get the minimum wage (because I'm thinking most people in Orre wouldn't), or are they getting more than that? :O
Depends by what you mean with minimum wage exactly. ;p But actually... more than that is how I thought it as or well... 'a good wage' as far as they go with criminal teams and Orre. =p
I'm thinking that the "Orre law treatment" wouldn't be for them to have their arm cut off - more like having to search the sewer for valuables with it, or something else that would make them wish it'd been cut off. xD
What about searching sewers for items with their cut-off arm?
Poor Johnson xD

I bet Makuhita just gets this red haze with an image of Johnson in it whenever it gets angry, then just chases him down to use as a punching bag. I'd also be willing to bet that Wes, Rui and Sherles have nothing against this. :p
No, he only had the red haze when he was a shadow Pokemon. ;p
Does Eusine drive a van that looks like this, by any chance? :p
...yes, yes he does.
There needs to be a space between of and them! :3
I swear that issue is created with track changes in editing/beta reading or just these silly forums. >_<
Makuhita obviously wants to listen to Crush 40!
Who doesn't?
Possible image of Makuhita smashing a tambourine maybe!
Poor musical instruments...
also can I be added to the PM list?

Edit: what is wrong with the quote bar on my computer?!!!!
You can always hiughlight stuff and press the quote button, and just be careful not to write in the
tags or remove any that appear. Also yes you can/have been, but any comments on the story itself...?

GroundBlaze

Starter Keeper
but any comments on the story itself...?

*facepalm*

Of course

great story and I love how you made Ein all the more sinister

also I find Nassacor's abuse of electronics very:521: (pokepun :p)

plus I would like to know weather any other music in Orre is caused by that devious Mirror B.

Speaking of which..... Mirror B. and Tom are on the same train
Tom+Mirror B.= need to go to go bye a lot of water to keep my voice after laughing

~Lati~

Or not :/
This one's part of my backlog on FanFiction.net right now. Probably next up too, after I finish Latias' Journey. I've only read the first couple of chapters, but I'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest. I'll probably review it on there, though. Be warned, I usually write long reviews. My name on there is leon4293.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
*facepalm*

Of course

great story and I love how you made Ein all the more sinister

also I find Nassacor's abuse of electronics very:521: (pokepun :p)

plus I would like to know weather any other music in Orre is caused by that devious Mirror B.

Speaking of which..... Mirror B. and Tom are on the same train
Tom+Mirror B.= need to go to go bye a lot of water to keep my voice after laughing
Yes, that's useful stuff to know. =) Cheers for saying what you liked!

And not much else really in Colosseum, and although XD also suffers from the 'it's a good tune but it doesn't fit* issue (cough 'wild' Pokemon battle music cough) I don't see Miror B being responsible for that.

This one's part of my backlog on FanFiction.net right now. Probably next up too, after I finish Latias' Journey. I've only read the first couple of chapters, but I'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest. I'll probably review it on there, though. Be warned, I usually write long reviews. My name on there is leon4293.
Cool - I look forward to it then! And the longer the review the better. =p Hope you enjoy the rest!

Last edited:

Phoopes

There it is.
bobandbill said:
And not much else really in Colosseum, and although XD also suffers from th 'it's a good tune but it doesn't fit* issue (cough 'wild' Pokemon battle music cough) I don't see Miror B being responsible for that.

You sir, have just made my day. Whenever I heard that weird music, I thought, "Git' along, ll' Woopers, 'fore I pull out my Geodude an' Earthquake your ***." (Or something to that extent)

Anyway... you've probably been asked the following question before, but I'm too lazy to check. Are you going to do any post-game stuff with this fic? I realize that the whole "Deep Colosseum" thing doesn't have much of a storyline, but if anyone can fit it in, it's you.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Anyway... you've probably been asked the following question before, but I'm too lazy to check. Are you going to do any post-game stuff with this fic? I realize that the whole "Deep Colosseum" thing doesn't have much of a storyline, but if anyone can fit it in, it's you.
Why yes, I have been asked that. XD (But I don't think it was here, but in VMs?) Anyways... not really (although I will say I will have *something* happen after the conclusion of the main storyline of Colosseum is covered in this fic), for a number of reasons. Such as 'I really dislike the parts afterwards and feel they are terribly tacked on' and also 'some stuff won't work already given how stuff has occurred already/will occur if kept the same as the games'.

However at least some of the post-game things will get at least a mention because they do deserve that at least. Just don't expect me to go and follow what the game does beyond the credits, because that won't happen. =p (Heck, even after the last 'event' in post-game stuff it felt rather anti-climatic and all.)

For the sake of it, I'll also say the next chapter will not be for a while either (late november maybe? could be before but do not bank on it) although I may well get more content than that done before said next chapter posting for a few reasons (basically if the next chapter is posted end of november the following chapter *may* not be far behind) and will move far faster likely with writing then regardless (yay uni!). Still aiming for the whole 'finishing before my third year of uni starts' thing too but we shall see! If anything I'm somewhat ahead of 'schedule' there.

asdfghjkl;

Chapter 20:

“Ah,” Rui replied, looking at her feet. “Well, sure, there’s the stuff I said already, but I suppose those are not the only reasons why because I suppose when I get down to it you could say that I like you, but not just like you but maybe-” she tried, before being interjected by Wes holding up a hand.

“Rui, you’re rambling again,” Wes said slowly as Rui pouted.

“Well, I’m not sure I can put it in words that easily...well!” she suddenly piped up, and before Wes knew what happened she had kissed him.

“Well indeed,” he said at length.

I feel this could've been fleshed out more. I myself am not a fan of romantic scenes, but what really makes them strike the reader is the tension. Since this was pretty rushed, I didn't really feel too much of that tension in it. It's a nice surprise, but how it was said so nonchalantly is odd. I know you should avoid making it a big deal and go all "her eyes - oh, those eyes! - glimmered as she stared him down" on it, but there's no harm in fleshing it out a bit.

I like the use of Attract in the chapter! Gives two interesting takes on love - the innocent, long-overdue one between Wes and Rui and the short-term, deceptive one in the form of Delcatty.

Amusing character in Venus. You got the vanity out right, and an awkwardly funny Pokemon in Steelix. Much respect for her since she has Suicune, though. Good chapter! :D

Chapter 21:

“Esp Espeon-espi,” (I take it Sherles has asked this person to come to clear up some plot points-er, give more info on Suicune,) Espeon offered.

THE AMOUNT OF FOURTH WALL BREAKING IN THIS FIC IS AMAZING

Unfortunately, I don't have too many quotes outside of that, since I was focusing more on how the story went. XD I was kind-of confused with the scene with Gonzap, seeing as it came out of nowhere and the transitioning was kind-of abrupt. I liked the scenes with Ein [SUCH A COOL NAME!] and Skrub, though. It's nice to see more personality in the other characters.

And it looks like the story's getting very near to its climax! Can't wait to see all the battling and drama and romance and laughs and whatnot.

Another awesome chapter, though I enjoyed the previous one more. Keep up the awesomely awesome work, bnb! =D

Last edited:

GroundBlaze

Starter Keeper
I was watching some old movies and I made a disovery

the shadowfication method used on skarmory is remarkably similar to the way they Break Alex's mind in A Clockwork Orange

coincidence I think NOT!!!!!!

but if it is check it out its a good movie

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
BNB good job! You should put this in gamefreak's attention...
Hopefully before bureaucracy takes over the world.
Coluseum deserves a remake with you as the plot fixer. With all those flaws in it you could get it a 10.0 at nintendo power. Will you explain who the main prrotagonist of XD's father is? Will you have characters dye their hair(wink,wink).

Will you do a XD one as well? I wonder if they will bring back the concept of shadow pokemon.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Yay more reviews! Thanks all.

I'll just say as I got some questions about this again, the next chapter can still be expected late november (but now that is closer to being a certainty than a tentative claim at the rate I am going). Given that I made up some extra scenes though I may be splitting it up and so hence have a ~buffer~ when the next chapter is posted. In other words, the following chapter may not be so long afterwards!

Also; as someone brought to my attention via VM when it happened; over 100,000 views of the fic here! ._. Most certainly an unexpected milestone... so thanks all for clicking this thread various times, readers!

This fanfiction is awsome! Keep it up!
I intend to! But do you have any specific comments about why you thought it awesome...?
asdfghjkl;
I agree. ;p
I feel this could've been fleshed out more. I myself am not a fan of romantic scenes, but what really makes them strike the reader is the tension. Since this was pretty rushed, I didn't really feel too much of that tension in it. It's a nice surprise, but how it was said so nonchalantly is odd. I know you should avoid making it a big deal and go all "her eyes - oh, those eyes! - glimmered as she stared him down" on it, but there's no harm in fleshing it out a bit.
Hmm... a fair point that I haven't considered yet (given, well, that's the first someone said something about that =p). I still feel that the kiss itself should be in that way though, as in quickly given by Rui - just how I imagined the scene, although I suppose I can add some more about said kiss after it... I'll certainly consider it but I don't feel right in making the whole scene drawn out with it, is all. (So other people - more opinions on this would be nice to have!)
Amusing character in Venus. You got the vanity out right, and an awkwardly funny Pokemon in Steelix. Much respect for her since she has Suicune, though. Good chapter! :D
She was a fun character to write, certainly. =)
Unfortunately, I don't have too many quotes outside of that, since I was focusing more on how the story went. XD I was kind-of confused with the scene with Gonzap, seeing as it came out of nowhere and the transitioning was kind-of abrupt.
Hmm, I shall look into that then when I do more edits (after older chapters anyways). Initially I had that scene at the end of the chapter but then moved it around after discussion with my beta reader. Might still keep it that way due to that but I can see how switching back and forth between the two settings might be too abrupt and odd.
I liked the scenes with Ein [SUCH A COOL NAME!] and Skrub, though. It's nice to see more personality in the other characters.

And it looks like the story's getting very near to its climax! Can't wait to see all the battling and drama and romance and laughs and whatnot.

Another awesome chapter, though I enjoyed the previous one more. Keep up the awesomely awesome work, bnb! =D
Yes, drawing closer to the end surely but surely... and there's certainly more battles yet to come. =p Cheers for the review!
I was watching some old movies and I made a disovery

the shadowfication method used on skarmory is remarkably similar to the way they Break Alex's mind in A Clockwork Orange

coincidence I think NOT!!!!!!

but if it is check it out its a good movie
Coincidence as I started the fic well before watching the movie, and the basis of music being a way to make a Pokemon into a Shadow one was one of the very first ideas I had before starting as well. XD (A combination of talking about Colosseum in a boring engineering class while listening to The Beatles was responsible for this). But it's a neat pick up (and certainly a good film) - somewhat of a parallel I suppose too in that A Clockwork Orange uses images of bad things to make him 'good', while it's happy stuff in excess that makes Pokemon bad here.
BNB good job! You should put this in gamefreak's attention...
Hopefully before bureaucracy takes over the world.
Coluseum deserves a remake with you as the plot fixer. With all those flaws in it you could get it a 10.0 at nintendo power. Will you explain who the main prrotagonist of XD's father is? Will you have characters dye their hair(wink,wink).

Will you do a XD one as well? I wonder if they will bring back the concept of shadow pokemon.
Ah, but Genius Sonority made Colossem and XD, not Game Freak. =p (And I never read Nintendo power much less know what they gave Colosseum as a score, haha).

I won't touch on XD-only things in this fic such as Michael's father so much (only a few have such as the whole Team Snagem/Cipher relationship thing, really) as they don't have much to do with the story of Colosseum. And for the XD fic... still not decided. As said earlier, after I finish this I'll probably get hold of XD again and play it and see if I have enough ideas/inspiration/whatnot to do a fic on it, and not before trying some other things too.

Quagsireking

I am the king!
Rated - PG. Warning - There is a high possibility of a random person possessing a large flamboyant afro.

I am writing this as after playing through Colosseum (and XD) I felt that there were too many plot gaps in the storyline.

For example, why did Wes destroy the Team Snagem hideout in the first place? Why did Rui just ‘accept’ the fact that Wes was part of Team Snagem in the first place as if it was a minor detail? How come do the NPC’s whom you snag shadow Pokemon off not give a second thought about the loss of their Pokemon? What’s up with Miror B’s hair anyway? And why, oh why do several characters have the inability to change facial expressions???

Anyway, I shall attempt to answer at least most of those questions - and more - with my own retelling of the Pokemon Colosseum storyline, as well as trying to make the storyline, well, funnier. Note that I will basically follow the storyline - just turning it into a fanfic, expanding on it, and so forth. This is my first fic, and one I hope to finish.

If you want to know how the story goes in the first place, the setting, etc, you could either play the game Pokemon Colosseum (more details in this should make more sense) or at least read a brief walkthrough of the game.

I have included a brief explanation for what characters and events are included in the chapter and game alike in each chapter in a spoiler after each chapter, so those who haven't played the game, or can't rememeber, can freshen up their memories. =)

BTW, there is a PM list - if you want in, just ask :)
Imperator_Venit
Jonah
maxinethelucariofan
Sammi
Sike Saner
Luphinid Silnaek
ultimate_charmander
Master Blastoise
elekible addict
Cosmic
Psyblade
king of blue
Animorph
mawile_lover1993
The Black Glove
WhyNot
mimefan
bluedolphin359
Stoc15
alzzy126
psyrose3
many form man
Sladazo
Night_Umbreon
Piekid11
a person
Zincspider
charlie rulez
heatran_ran
Missingno. Master
Luminous
growlithe_master
Reggie
mattman324
TropiusFan
PokeMaster289
gorgar
Eon Master
Son_of_Shadows
Dragonphantom
legandlover989
Gardevoir Girl
makuhitaispwnzorz
Desert Sun
anguiano1
Alex Steiner
pokefooleycooley
Hannibal II
Cryptic Blaze
Rotom310
Legend-of-Mitsuki
Rora
X-ice654
Charoshi
~Platinum~
dAlki_Jing
shoi
Shadow PKMN Trainer
IanDonyer
#1TransendTrainer
Ditto123
Xman96
Zibdas
x-strike-fire-dragon
treeko's awesomeness
phoopes
Blue Astra
magikarprules
Wild Dragonite
pokemonranger7098
yellownick15
Rotomknight
Crocojaw47
GroundBlaze

Anyway here goes.

***​

The Retelling of Pokémon Colosseum

Prologue - Rebellion

Somewhere in the middle of the vast expanse of the Orre desert, a wild Skarmory was flying back to his nest, battling against the harsh, howling wind which carried with it clumps of sand, tumbleweed and small children. The bright grains of sand which gave the air a yellow hue pelted the Skarmory's hard body. He ignored it though, being used to such conditions. Once again, he had been hunting for his breakfast, and once again, he had been unsuccessful in his never-ending quest for food.

It was not because this silvery, metal-plated bird was no good at looking for food. On the contrary, it was an achievement that he had survived for so long in the barren region. However, the population of wild Pokémon had recently decreased even further below the modest number it had been, and all due to one newcomer.

Team Snagem.

In Skarmory’s humble opinion, all the trouble started when that good-for-nothing, stupid man with funny, pointy hair coming out from around his nose and eyes showed up near his nest and started constructing big, grey buildings. And then he brought in Pokémon and…

No, that didn’t bear thinking about. The wild Skarmory tried to focus his mind on other things. Like how to impress that female Skarmory near his territory…

Suddenly the bird spotted something. A small and almost insignificant bright-orange object was wandering around below, sticking out against the pale-yellow sand. Skarmory grinned, his eyes suddenly gaining a glint of triumph. Circling once, he suddenly dropped like a stone towards the object, his steel body making it all too easy for him to accelerate towards earth and his target.

“Skarr!” (You’re mine!)

With a quick couple of jabs with his razor-sharp beak, he made quick work of the baby Trapinch which had strayed too far from its nest. The Skarmory then scooped up the squealing Pokemon in his mouth, and with another cry of ‘Skarr!’, he flew off with renewed energy towards his nest, pausing every so often to retrieve the Trapinch he kept dropping clumsily.

Meanwhile, two people stood inside a plain building hidden inside the mountains and rocks that made up the tall and narrow passageway called Eclo Canyon, protected from the persistent wind that threw itself at the windows. They ignored the sounds it made, choosing instead to focus on each other.

One towered over the other in stature, with the facial expressions one might expect to see on a rampaging Tauros rather than a person. This alone prompted many of the members of Team Snagem to address the man with ‘Sir Honourable and Super-Smart Leader-Guy Gonzap please don’t hurt me’ – it was hard to disagree with a man built like a weightlifter and with a personality like Gonzap’s. More noticeable though than the muscles the man sported was the lack of hair he possessed on the top of his head, which seemed to have migrated down for unknown reasons – a large pair of eyebrows and moustache jutted out from his face a rather remarkable distance to infinity and beyond. Nobody made jokes about that though. Leastways, nobody would have dared when Gonzap was around – the members of Team Snagem considered it fair game when he was elsewhere, and so did the teenager who was currently talking to Gonzap.

“So that’s all you could muster? Two Voltorb? First Jacob comes back and brings a Dunsparce of all things – who honestly trains or wants one of those things? - and now this!” he bellowed at the adolescent, who grimaced slightly as he scratched his silver-tinged hair, and then brushed off some sand his blue trench-coat had gained before he came inside the building to report back. An annoyed glare aimed directly at Gonzap was hidden behind a pair of blue glasses.

“Sorry, but that’s all I could find in the house. The trainer must have left a while ago, and those were the only Pokémon there,” replied the teenager. “I can’t snag something the trainer has when he and his Pokémon simply isn’t there, you know. Something for free has got to be better than nothing.” He then proceeded to wipe sand from his face now, away from long, white streaks of white sunscreen that were clearly visible below his sunglasses - the teenager was of the opinion that it made him ‘look cool’.

“But I specifically told you to Snag that Charmander! Or didn’t you know the difference between those two?” sneered Gonzap, ignoring any logic offered up by the teenager. The teenager’s Umbreon - a black fox-like creature - started to growl at Gonzap.

"Umb, Umbreon!" (Shut up, Mr Moustache Eyebrow man!)

“Quiet, Umbreon,” the teenager said softly. Meanwhile Gonzap looked thoughtfully at the Dark-type Pokémon, twirling his moustache between his fingers.

“Hmm... on second thoughts, they can be the new Shadow Pokémon.”

“Huh - what?” the other replied, unsure by what Gonzap meant.

“Espeon and Umbreon. They certainly would do better than a couple of Voltorb that probably don’t even know Spark.”

“But, but…” the teenager stuttered, frowning at Gonzap. The Umbreon by him stared at Gonzap as well, wondering if biting his leg or his eyebrows would prove more effective in defending himself if he needed to.

“I expect to see you hand them in to my desk in ten minutes when I finish my lunch - plenty of time to say farewell,” Gonzap said with a smirk. “You can dispose of the Voltorb, Wes. Unless you want to keep them!” With that Gonzap laughed and departed towards his office.

How could he do this to me? thought Wes. After my years, well, months of service, after all the things I helped them with, he still insults me! True, I don’t snag that much, and I’m not much of a criminal here, but I’m honestly better than the rest of the lot, and now he simply expects me to give up my two and only Pokémon to become Shadow Pokémon? And for what? I don’t even know what they do with these Shadow Pokémon! He clearly doesn't know me well...

Wes angrily punched a wall, then winched in pain as his hand throbbed. He gazed at Umbreon, and then through the window at his other Pokémon, Espeon, who was outside sitting in the side seat in one of Team Snagem’s few methods of transport - a vehicle that everyone just called a ‘Zoomer’, with dull, red seating and awkward pieces of rusted, silver machinery jutting out in front and behind to resemble a poor man's attempt at a motorbike. Team Snagem got it at a bargain price as nobody understood its rather odd infrastructure - it had one wheel at the back and the rest ‘hovered’ with the machine when used. But since it was cheap, and it didn’t break down… well, that’s all that mattered to Team Snagem.

No way I’m giving up my Pokémon. They’re the ones I’ve had from the beginning, and I’m sticking with them. Even if Espeon’s tongue is sharper than a knife, and Umbreon’s... well, ditzy at times. I guess I can just leave...

Then Wes looked at the Voltorb, the Pokémon often mistaken for Poké Balls, only these were more common than that rare item - for the region of Orre, anyway. It said something about the land when many people relied on the Pokémon for electricity to power their homes, despite the risk of the Voltorb exploding. They looked back with frightened eyes.

Then Wes smiled. He had an idea.

Meanwhile, the Skarmory landed in his nest after a long struggle with the surprisingly heavy Trapinch – this one was more plumb than the others he had managed to find over the last few months, its stubby legs waving frantically about as it tried to run away out of the Skarmory’s grip. Skarmory unceremoniously dropped it with a small thud into his nest - a rough bundle of sticks put together, hidden by a small, spiky bush perched on top of a steep cliff. The Skarmory didn’t mind though - the sharp thorns in the bush did nothing to his steel hide, but it did keep out the majority of intruders. Settling down to eat, he glanced around to make sure that nothing else was to come to try to steal his meal, before it made a grin at the young, flailing Trapinch.

KA-BOOM!

The Skarmory literally fell out of the nest at the noise, and had to flap hard to pull out of his descent to avoid hitting the ground or the cliff’s face. Startled, he flew around his nest several times, screeching about the indignantly of being so greatly disturbed before he could eat his meal.

After he recovered from his shock and returned to his nest, he glanced towards the source of the sound, and cocked his head. In the distance, a thick cloud of dark smoke flew into view, billowing upwards above the canyon, closely followed by the harsh smell of smoke, and fire.

Hmm. That’s somewhat different from usual, Skarmory thought. He cawed and then flew in the general direction of the smoke cautiously to investigate, leaving the Trapinch where it was, upside-down and still flapping its legs about, in an attempt to walk on air upside-down away from the nest in a ridiculous fashion.

Wes waltzed back into the room he had been standing in only minutes ago, having hidden to protect himself from the blast. He looked around quickly, admiring the ‘renovation rescue’ of sorts he had given Team Snagem, such as the large gaping hole where a wall used to be. Blazing clusters of flames were materializing around the area, and spreading as they licked at the remaining pieces of the section of the building as smoke billowed out of the building. Alarms went off.

“If you can hear this alarm, then something has gone wrong. Current analysis – the building is currently: ‘ON FIRE’. If you can hear this alarm...” one above Wes’ head blazed uselessly.

“Thanks, Voltorb,” said Wes, kneeling down and glancing at the pair of Pokémon, but they didn’t reply - they had fainted as a result of using Selfdestruct to aid Wes.

Wes quietly stood back by the large, new opening the building now sported to appreciate the damage he racked up, as a smile steadily widen upon his face. Walls were crumbling before his eyes as they failed to hold up any longer. A small section of the ceiling suddenly gave way and landed near Wes, piling up and forming a heap of rubble.

Serves them right, thought Wes. Although I better watch out that nothing falls on my head... Meanwhile, Umbreon looked inside, looking with amazement at the damage.

Wes quickly grabbed a few items lying on some broken shelfs near him and stuffed them into his bag; mostly healing items for Pokémon, such as a couple of Max Revives, and a packet of Full Heals. In an afterthought, Wes turned to the Voltorb and administered the Max Revives.

“You can leave now,” smiled Wes. The Voltorb didn’t wait around, hastily rolling through a door and off into the distance, glad to escape from the place.

Wes looked at his watch and glanced outside. He never planned on blowing up the hideout when he had joined up - he was just in it for the money after all - but no doubt it was as good a way to quit as any other. Firstly, though, he had something else to do.

I might as well go the full distance, but if so I better act now.

He hurriedly ran off towards another room, one which he knew was restricted from most Team Snagem members. Wes ignored the large sign upon the door stating that the penalty for anyone caught in there would be a two hour lecture on basic reading skills - such warnings didn’t seem to apply to him anymore.

Another minute of work, and he was ready for his grand exit. His heart pumping, and with a newly-acquired device in his pocket, he made his way back towards the scene of the explosion, and approached the door that led to the way out.

Then he noticed something out of the corner of his eye.

In one small, ruined area of the room, the big Snag machine, made especially to steal Pokémon from other trainers that Team Snagem used for major operations, was in ruins – it basically was used to fire Snag Balls by the dozen at the target. But the smaller Snag machine – which was made to fit on a person’s arm – was right where he had left it before talking to Gonzap, and was still, amazingly enough, intact as far as he could tell.

Why not? I might as well take it…give them something else to worry about. Wes picked up the Snag device and placed it upon his arm, clipping on the shoulder pad to his left arm and attaching the rest down his arm, the ending extending a touch beyond his wrist. The colour suited his coat, being a similar dark-blue, yet with red lines spiralling down the machine which contained the wires between the control pad hidden within the shoulder pad and the slot for putting Poké Balls in.

Seems to still fit more or less too... Wes pondered, as he held his arm out for Umbreon – and himself - to admire. Although it’s not much use without any Poké Balls – but is there enough time to grab some of those as well?

Just then, Gonzap showed up, granting Wes the answer to that question. For once the man looked uncertain and indecisive. When he caught sign of Wes that changed however, as he quickly put two and two together.

“WES! What is the meaning of this?!?” he shouted in fury.

Wes paused for a moment, pretending to think about his actions. Finally, he smirked. “Let’s just say that I’m leaving, and I’ve left you a farewell present.”

A strange and glorious scene greeted the Skarmory as he came upon the ruins. Flames were everywhere, people were pouring out of the building and the stupid man with pointy things was chasing a smaller man and an Umbreon.

Many others were in the chase, but the younger man kept himself a good distance from the rest. He jumped into a strange object with an Espeon sitting in it, which then made a large noise and shot off at an incredible speed. The pointy man still kept chasing despite his sudden disadvantage.

KA-BOOM!

“SKARRRRRR!”

The Skarmory shot up faster than he ever had; flying up and away and crying in pain and surprise as the flames coming from the explosion scorched his body. Meanwhile, the smaller man was happily waving a black object with a bright-red button in the centre of it at the stupid man.

The Skarmory was very confused by the events - after all, it wasn’t often that a building would suddenly burst into flames once, let alone twice - but he knew that if something bad happened to Team Snagem - and it certainly was judging by the reaction of the stupid man - it must be good.

“Skarr! Skarr!” proclaimed the Skarmory to the world, despite his injuries, spreading nonsensical celebrations with his shrill calls.

Shoomp!

Suddenly, the Skarmory experienced a weird sensation - as if he was being sucked into something. He looked below, and with a sinking feeling realised what was happening to him. Struggling but in vain, he submitted to the force and shrunk into oblivion, the flames that stained his body leaving him with little strength to resist and escape.

Gonzap grimly picked up the Great Ball and glared at it.

”You thought you’d laugh at me, would you? I’ll show you who’s laughing.... when I’m in the mood for it,” he muttered, before he stuffed it in his pocket. He glanced at the base, which was now blazing wildly as people were running out of the building. Twisted metal rained upon the ground, appearing like mini meteors against the pitch-black smoky background of the sky. The second explosion had caused even more widespread damage than the first - short-term repairs would be futile.

That's the last time I'm letting just anyone attend a 'How To Use Explosives' class, Gonzap thought grimly to himself. And it’s the last time I ever put off fixing the lock on that room to next week and letting some fool of a grunt tell everyone about it as well.

In the distance, a faint siren sounded - the police were on their way. Not that was surprising - nobody would possibly miss such a large explosion - it felt like it had the force of a minor earthquake behind it, and had thrown him off his feet when he had been pursuing the dratted boy. In addition, the smoke given off would be a dead giveaway to where the source of the explosion was.

There's nothing else I can do, Gonzap decided quickly. The hideout is gone, but if we linger, we'll all be caught. Pocketing the Great Ball, Gonzap turned and shouted orders at his incompetent gang - many which were now running around madly in circles - and then ran for it.

Very smart, Wes.

You’ve destroyed our main Snag machine, and stole the other one. You took our Zoomer. And to boot, you used those explosives we had been planning to use as well to utterly destroy our base.

AND half my moustache has burnt off, and I don’t have any eyebrows anymore.

You’ll pay for this.

Hope you enjoyed that.

And the list for what the characters/events in the prologue are based on:

Orre - region which the entire game is based in. The majority of it is comprised of desert, and no wild Pokemon can be caught in the game, mostly due to the arid landscape of Orre. No grass or anything - a pretty grim place for the standard Pokemon world. Which is what makes it so interesting!

Opening scene starts off in Eclo Canyon, which is what the name says - a canyon! (Only without any water or the such).

Skarmory - in the opening cutscene in the game, this skarmory is seen, as well in the final few seconds flying around as well. Why remains a mystery to all - it makes for a rather random start. HOWEVER, Gonzap turns out to have a skarmory - one and the same? In this story; yes!

Wes - main character of the game. Unlike most main characters in Pokemon games, he is NOT a generic 10 year old that catches legendaries and breaks up criminal syndicates for fun. Nope - he's a teenager who blows stuff up and works/ed for criminal gangs! Instead of a starter Pokemon, such as charmander, or turtwig, he already has in the game an Espeon and an Umbreon. (Which are arleady above level 20 as well). He also, for some reason or another, decides to steal the Snag Machine (which fits on his arm) in the opening part of the game. Plot device!

Gonzap - head honcho of Team Snagem. Very large, and has very long eyebrows and a moustache that stick out several feet form his face, which makes up for his lack of hair where hair normally goes. Team Snagem themselves do as their name suggests - they steal (snag) other trainer's Pokemon.

Shadow Pokemon - Pokemon turned 'evil'. Not really explained how, but why: so certain people get world domination/power/money or the sort (obviously). They will feature more as the story goes on, as well as an 'explanation' for them as well.

Explosion - in the opening scene, Wes blows up the base with two explosions in a similar manner protrayed here, steals a Snag machine, and runs off. Why is never revealed, although you find out he worked for Team Snagem later on. The game never does tell you, so I worked from the idea that Wes cares for his Pokemon a fair bit (as established in the game - Espeon and Umbreon are 'an old friend' of Wes's on their stat screens, and Espeon also knows 'Return' in the game which has the maximum power already), so when he's told to hand them in, he decides 'hell no' and leaves with a bang. Heh, bang.

As a side note, you also start the game with a number of items - here in the Chapter, Wes took them from Team Snagem before he left.

you wrote this? ive read this before and im like wow. ANy how i love the character's personalities and the fact that mirror b is more sinister here

OthersiderME

Captain Obvious
Even the chapter list makes me laugh. Now that I actually review this fic, I can't think of anything to say. Though I can't wait for Makuhita to evolve... Then Andrew will feel lots of pain. Anyways, will you please put me on the PM list?
;297;

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Chapter Up!

you wrote this? ive read this before and im like wow. ANy how i love the character's personalities and the fact that mirror b is more sinister here
Yes; this was the first place I posted it in fact. Glad you enjoyed, although quoting the whole prologue is a bit much of a post. =p
Even the chapter list makes me laugh. Now that I actually review this fic, I can't think of anything to say. Though I can't wait for Makuhita to evolve... Then Andrew will feel lots of pain. Anyways, will you please put me on the PM list?
;297;
Thanks. Makuhita also cannot wait for that time, I'll add. =p And added to the list.

And oh look a chapter, how about that.

Beta read by Chris the Com.

Chapter 22 – The Scientist’s Stand

Wes frowned at the door and the person behind the cold glass window upon it, who was running off into a passageway while shouting in glee.

“All right, Makuhita, let’s worry about that later,” he said to the Fighting type who was slamming the steel door with his fists. The Pokémon shook his arms and glared at his inanimate opponent, noting the fact that his efforts only managed to make small dents. “Maybe Feraligatr can help you if there’s no other way out from here.”

“Makuhita!” (But I’m stronger!) Makuhita protested loudly as he gave the door one last strike and followed Wes. The trainer wandered around the room aimlessly as he pulled out his P*DA.

“Yes, hello, Sherles. It seems some Cipher grunt thought it would be fun to lock a door behind me,” Wes said to the machine. Makuhita looked at Wes and wondered how he was able to talk to someone else through such a thing without even having to punch it to make it work.

“Yes, I know, I didn’t exactly want to get trapped myself,” Wes continued to speak in a strained voice. “I’ll just check this place first and see if there isn’t another way out – if not then I’ll just break it down or call for assistance. Oh, hey, I found some stairs,” Wes added, half to himself as he proceeded to walk down. Makuhita bounded after him, jumping down one step at a time carefully like a small child trying to navigate her way around a playground.

“Maku...hita...” (Stupid steps... being bigger than me...) Makuhita muttered.

“Oh, found someone,” Wes announced as he reached the bottom of the steps. “Hey, no, don’t throw that at me! Makuhita, little help?” he added as the sound of glass slamming into the stairway followed. Makuhita looked up eagerly at the source to notice Wes dodging test tubes and vases coming from another man clad in white, who was running between rows of lab benches arranged neatly in the large room towards an elevator. Makuhita quickly surveyed the man before giving a startled shout.

“Ma! Ku!” (You! Stop!) Makuhita shouted as he jumped forward and promptly fell down the remaining steps. Growling at his increasingly annoying small stature, he turned around and punched the stairwell before advancing towards the escaping figure who was hurriedly pressing a button next to the elevator. A few seconds later the doors flew open.

“Hey, come back here!” Wes shouted at the vase-wielding man, noting to himself that he appeared to be another scientist with a strange spike of hair protruding from the front of his face.

“Oh, hello Wes! I didn’t expect to see you here!” Johnson called as he stepped out of the elevator. Wes blinked at the officer’s sudden presence, and the scientist also seemed surprised to have his escape route suddenly blocked off and slowly backed away.
“Oh, hello! Nice to meet you!” Johnson beamed as he walked towards the man and offered a handshake.

A short pause followed before his smile faded as the researcher struck him on the head with another urn, pushed him to the side and ran towards the elevator again. Makuhita however was ready by now and clapped his fists together before thrusting them forward in a swift movement, sending out a silver packet of air at the elevator system. The attack smacked into the elevator’s door controls just as the man reached them, which exploded in a shower of sparks and sent the elevator back up.

“That’s... pretty good work,” Wes said warmly to Makuhita, only to notice the scientist was now throwing four Poké Balls at him and Johnson instead of vases. Cursing silently to himself, he summoned some more of his own in his two Eeveelutions, Feraligatr and Yanma. As the other Pokémon appeared, Makuhita charged forwards haphazardly as he waved his fists around and shoved aside one of the lab benches to the side.

“MAKU!” (I WILL DESTROY YOU!) Makuhita yelled loudly as he charged forward at the man, only to be held back by Wes who hung on desperately to his arm.

“Why are you so angry?” Wes exclaimed. “Angrier than normal, anyway...” he added. He then looked at his other Pokémon and noticed that Feraligatr was also snarling at their opponent. Only Espeon and Umbreon were not seemingly outraged at the mere presence of the scientist before him, while Yanma merely continued to ramble to itself about the wonders of coffee and its own ability to fly faster than coffee.

“What’s going on there?” Sherles asked through the P*DA suddenly.

“Too quick for me, I see,” the man said to Wes softly as his Pokémon materialised in the form of two water and two flying types.

“Not now, I’ve got a battle going on! I’ll call back later!” Wes shouted at his P*DA before cancelling the call and turning the P*DA at the Pokémon in front of him. It confirmed one of them was a Golbat which he was already familiar with – it was hard not to recognise such a Pokémon whose mouth was nearly as big as its own body. “Johnson, get over here!” he added to the officer who ran over.

“He’s not very nice, is he?” Johnson asked as he rubbed his head. “Hit my head, he did!”

“Now’s not the time for complaining!” Wes shouted.

“It hurts like ouchie,” Johnson continued sadly.

“Golbat!” (I vant to suck vour blood!) the Golbat shouted at the group as his tongue hung out of his mouth and left a small puddle of drool on the ground.

Yep, definitely a Golbat, Wes thought as he looked at the other three Pokémon which he hadn’t seen before. The P*DA quickly informed him they were made up of a Huntail, Lanturn and Altaria, the former two remaining stationary on the floor given their unusual position of being out of water. They didn’t seem too fazed by that though, as upon their heads were strange pieces of equipment that resembled scuba diving gear. Glancing at the scientist, Wes decided it must have been made by him to allow his Pokémon to be able to breathe better outside of water.

“Go, Magikarp!” Johnson shouted as he sent out his Pokémon, which proceeded to flop about haphazardly.
“How nice to see some familiar faces, though,” the man continued to say to the fuming Makuhita as he began to stroke his chin, ignoring the policeman’s addition. Wes looked at the man and frowned.

“What does that mean?” he challenged, as he also noticed that the man seemed rather tired despite his tone of voice – he actually wasn’t stroking his chin but more where a beard would have been had he had one.

“Lanturn, Charge Beam. Huntail, Hydro Pump. Altaria and Golbat, Air Cutter,” the man replied monotonically.

“Oh, for... just avoid the attacks if you can!” Wes shouted as the flying types took to the air and the Lanturn shot sparks from the orb-like protrusions from its dorsal fins, while the Huntail shot water from its breathing apparatus. Caught off-guard, Wes’ Pokémon attempted to move out of the way, but the combination of the four attacks were too difficult for everyone to dodge successfully, save for the Magikarp which escaped unscathed from sheer luck. More benches also fell victim to the attacks and crumbled, clearing some space on the battle field.

“Yanma!” (This-is-not-coffee-this-is-pain-I-don’t-like-pain-it-is-painful!)

“I thought you’d be better than that, Wes,” the man replied. Wes frowned – this man knew his name. “Again!” he added, as his Pokémon obeyed his orders. Wes’ Pokémon quickly attempted to dodge again and were somewhat more successful this time in getting out of the way, but it was clear which side was having the current advantage.

“Who are you?” Wes asked as he glanced at Espeon. Please get Feraligatr and Makuhita to explain to me why they’re so riled up at this fellow, he asked with his thoughts.

“Esp,” (On it,) Espeon said as he began telepathically talking to the two.

“I don’t think you need to know who I am,” the scientist replied. “Just that I’ll be the one to derive your weaknesses and end your lucky streak. Same again,” he added to his Pokémon.

“Okay guys, let’s go on the defensive – Espeon, two Light Screens, and Umbreon, help him set them up! The rest, strike any who try to get in close!”Wes said. The two quickly nodded and focused their minds to create a double barrier in front of them, one situated before the other. The first onslaught of attacks struck the first wall which shimmered slightly but held its ground as the rest of Wes’ Pokémon rested behind, and Magikarp continued to flop around.

“Keep it up!” Johnson yelled excitedly, ejecting a sigh from Wes.

“Just keep attacking from afar until the barriers fall,” the man commanded calmly.

His name is Ein, Espeon said to Wes privately a moment later telepathically, albeit slowly given his current focus on the barriers in front of his teammates, wave after wave of attacks sent by Ein’s Pokémon with reckless abandon slamming into each barricade of light. As for your question – Ein here seems to have been the brains behind the actual shadowfication process. Makuhita and Feraligatr remember him all too well from their previous time here.

Well, I can’t blame them then,Wes thought back, wincing slightly as one of the Light Screens fell. And I take it we cannot let Ein get away either then, but it’ll be hard... I may need you to sit back, Espeon, actually – it’ll be faster to relay my commands through you to the others and less obvious than announcing them. I think our old trick may be worth a shot.

Sure, Espeon replied. I’ll set up a quick mental link between you and the others. Say something to them if you want just to lock it in. Almost immediately Wes felt the presence of Feraligatr’s and Makuhita’s minds. He knew what it was like – he had done so similarly with Espeon and Umbreon ages back to have fun against opponents who were baffled by the illusion that Wes’ Pokémon didn’t require any commands to battle so well, but he still breathed deeply and attempted to focus on catching the mental link.

Who goes there? Makuhita thought suddenly as he became aware of Wes’s psyche, raising a hand to his head as he pondered if he should punch himself or not to make it go away.

Don’t be stupid, it’s just a quick relay method between you and Wes, Espeon berated. He thinks, you do.

Yes, so... don’t punch yourself, Wes thought. And although I can tell you’re both angry at this man, I want you to keep your cool. It won’t help us, and he may be relying on that fact if he still thinks you are Shadow Pokémon.

Okay, Feraligatr thought back, before Wes was then made aware of Umbreon’s mind. They both acknowledged each other with the mental equivalent of a nod, as Umbreon instantly understood the purpose of the link.

Yanma’s mind however threw Wes off.

Hello-do-you-like-coffee-I-like-coffee! he shouted loudly.

Uh... yes, I do. Anyways, this is to-

Hey-I-can-hear-thoughts-that-is-so-cool-it’s-just-like-talking-only-it’s-thinking-I-wish-coffee-could-do-that!

Wes sighed. Yes... anyways, when I think at you to do something, please do so. And that man over there-

That-man-gives-coffee-I-like-that-person-you-should-give-him-a-hug-I-can-fly!

He...what? Wes thought to himself before again addressing Yanma. Well he stole the coffee now so we need to stop him. And... I’ll give you some after we beat him.

Yanma gasped back with delight as Wes then regathered his thoughts, wondering if he would regret the bribe or not.

Hello there, good sir, another presence suddenly said to Wes.

Ah... hello, Wes thought back, wondering who he was talking to only to notice the Magikarp was jumping about even more enthusiastically than before.

I presume you are to help give myself directions rather than Johnson for the time being, perchance? the fish asked.

Yes, that’s correct... Wes thought back.

Splendid! I’ll be sure to do my best for Johnson then – he’s the smartest person I’ve known but I’m sure it will be a pleasure to work with you as well!

...The smartest? Poor Magikarp, Wes thought to himself.

Let’s take this guy down! Espeon shouted at the others.

“Hmm, Wes found someone who’s putting up a fight and Johnson stumbled his way there too,” Sherles explained to Rui as he closed his P*DA. “I suppose he’ll be a while then.”

“I hope he’s all right,” Rui said quietly.

“Don’t you worry, Wes will be fine,” Sherles said reassuringly. “But it sounds like that person is eager to get away, and more so than this bunch,” Sherles added as he gestured to the group of Cipher grunts and scientists covered in scorch burns sitting in the corner that had given themselves up. They didn’t look too amused by the whole situation, nor by the fact that a lot had their hair burnt off from the fire attacks of the Growlithe. Chuckling to himself, Sherles turned to a few other policemen.

“Yes, sir!” they responded, anticipating his orders.

“You two! I want you to go investigate the business of that locked door, just in case. And for you, head back outside, and patrol the premises. People may yet break out, and it’s hard to gauge what exits this place has. Make sure that if anyone makes a break for it, they don’t get away.”

“Can we take some snacks with us?” one asked eagerly.

“Do you think that this is a... oh very well, get something,” Sherles conceded with a sigh as the policemen started looking sad in anticipation of a negative response. Surprised at the approval they quietly high-fived and ran for the supply bag the group had brought along, grabbed as many palmeras as they could hold and dashed off.

“They sure are quick...” Rui said quietly as Sherles shook his head.

“Back in my day...”

A moment later, the second Light Screen shattered. Ein smirked – it was clear to him that Wes had not yet thought up any commands, as none came from the trainer, although plenty of words came from the officer who didn’t appear to have much of a clue what to do. Yet a moment later he balked in surprised as the teenager’s Pokémon flew forward without any command at his, with the Makuhita and Feraligatr leading the charge.

“Interesting...” Ein mused. “No matter - meet the Makuhita with Wing Attack and Aerial Ace, Golbat and Altaria, and you other two keep them at bay with ranged water attacks!” Ein commanded.

“Huntail!” (Water!)

“Lanturn!” (Water!) the two fish Pokémon said in unison as they fired spherical blobs of water at their opponents.

“Goolll!” (Bloood!) the bat shouted alongside the Altaria as he flew behind the projectiles at the fighting type. The opponents however dodged the water attacks without colliding into each other, working like a well-oiled machine. They then moved to intercept the aerial threat, Feraligatr slashing at the Golbat from the side and Umbreon leaping onto the Altaria’s back as Yanma fired colourful beams at the dragon’s head. Makuhita then jumped up and struck with wild abandon at the Altaria, followed by the Magikarp bouncing high into the air and rebounding from the ceiling into the Altaria’s head.

“Retreat, but keep firing long-ranged attacks to keep them away from you,” Ein said as he added a few curses to himself. Suddenly it didn’t seem that he’d be able to escape that easily – not that the broken elevator controls helped much in the first place. Maybe I should have taken the time to make my other Pokémon into Shadow ones...and still that boy isn’t saying a thing, he thought. And his Shadow Pokémon in Makuhita and Yanma are not acting rashly – why is that? He gazed as his Pokémon’s opponents continued to surge towards him, and then smiled.

“Featherdance, Altaria! Golbat, help her out!” Ein ordered.

“Altaria!” (Feathers!) the bird shouted, suddenly shedding a large amount of the feathers making up its fluffy wings and flapping them towards her opponents.

“Golbat!” (Blood!) the bat echoed as he also flapped his wings, creating a mini-tornado of feathers that rapidly grew in size.

“And you two, increase the humidity of the air by sixty percent, minimum!” Noticing the blank looks given to him by the Lanturn and Huntail, he scowled. “Dampen the air!” he said. The two Pokémon happily chanted ‘more water!’ in unison before lightly spraying the tornado of feathers which then spread through the lab. The down quickly clung to the opposing Pokémon’s skin, tickling the group and distracting them for a moment on top of making them look rather ridiculous; Umbreon for instance suddenly found himself with a white beard and moustache of fluff.

“Yanma yan yan!”(I’m-covered-in-this-fluffy-non-coffee-substance-it’s-very-itchy-and-not-coffee-which-is-displeasing!) the bug shrilled as it flew around in circles into more feathers, as Makuhita tried to punch them out of his way.

And that’s all I need. Ein chuckled softly as Wes involuntarily sneezed from the fluff filling the air. “Now, focus all your attacks on the Espeon!”

Wes tensed at the command before mentally yelling at his Pokémon to get back and defend the Psychic Eeveelution; however their movements were now somewhat stifled due to the feathers, as was their visibility. As they got into the way of the first wave of attacks, Ein’s grin widened.

“Now, activate the Divergence and Convolution Theorem manoeuvre! Switch targets and all focus your Confusion-based attacks on the trainer!” Ein shouted.

Wait, the trainer- Wes begun to think, before a blast of light and sound hit him. Staggering about as he clutched his head he gasped at the sheer onslaught to his senses – he suddenly could only see a kaleidoscope of colours, his eardrums burnt hotly with pain, and he became dimly aware that he couldn’t focus on the battle anymore.

“Ferali Feraligatr? (Why are you suddenly telling me to ‘Jam jam Singapore the ropes are singing ever since the watermelon...?) Feraligatr queried to Wes as a stream of garbled thoughts were transmitted to Wes’ Pokémon. The alligator then shouted as a blast of attacks struck him from behind as Ein took advantage of the situation.

“Tricks like that won’t work with me,” Ein said, “although it certainly was quite the novel idea. I may need to consider using that myself in future! Keep them at bay,” he said to his Flying Pokémon, “while you two blast a hole in the wall out of here,” he added to his water types which gleefully begun shouting ‘water!’ again at each other. They fired water projectiles at the wall on Ein’s end of the room, blasting the gray brick wall into chunks that clattered against the floor.

Espeon sighed and removed the mental link between Wes and his Pokémon. So much for that plan,he thought to everyone before trying to communicate with Wes to snap him out of his state of mind. He quickly declared the attempt futile at best to himself as he was greeted with a wave of thoughts along the lines of ‘musician colours every greens’ repeated over and over, before being distracted by a stray water attack which he avoided just in time with an inelegant bound behind a desk.

Okay, let’s try to rearrange ourselves! he thought desperately to the other Pokémon. Makuhita, go fix him!

“Maku!” (Can do!) Makuhita shouted as he ran past a Wing Attack of Golbat’s and jumped into the air, slapping Wes hard in the face as he landed.

“Arrgh!” Wes shouted in response before falling over onto his hands and knees.

“Don’t worry, Johnson will do... something!” Johnson said bravely to Wes, before ducking as the Golbat flew too close to his head and waving his badge at the Pokémon. “Stop speeding, or I’ll arrest you!” he shouted.

“Gol!” (Blood!) the bat retorted.

No offense, Johnson, but... Espeon began, before he paused for a moment. He looked at Wes and quickly decided that it would be a while before he would be to make a comprehensible sentence, let alone command a Pokémon battle, and glanced back at Johnson. Say... A moment later Johnson blinked and then jumped slightly.

”Arrgh! Voices!” he shouted before Espeon quickly sent a hasty telepathic message explaining to Johnson what he intended for him to do, and hoped silently to himself that Johnson would just go along with it.

Err... Feraligatr, do a good thing! Johnson tried a moment later uneasily.

Like? the alligator Pokémon growled back as he eyed the Altaria and Golbat who were now circling him, obeying Ein’s orders.

Think, Johnson! the officer thought as he waved his hands to himself as he felt his heart beat quicken. What would Magikarp do? He glanced at his Pokémon for a moment before focusing back to the blue giant.

Jump up...really high! he conveyed to Feraligatr, who frowned at the Johnson.

Well, if you say so, he grumbled, jumping slightly into the air just as the two Flying types decided to swoop at him. Although the jump had been rather small given the large Pokémon had been motionless, it was enough to force the two to make the sudden adjustment to their flight paths, which enabled Feraligatr to swing his arms outwards into his opponents and catch them by their heads in mid-air.

“Fera!” (It worked!) he shouted with surprise before shrugging and bashing their heads together.

“Altaria!” (Oww!) the dragon shouted as she spat a blast of fire from her mouth in retaliation that singed Feraligatr’s left arm while hurting the Golbat considerably.

“Baaat!” (Dloob!) shouted the bat as he gasped and fell limp as Feraligatr jumped again as a reflex reaction to the searing pain and dropped the bat as he shook his paws quickly, his now burning claws adding to the pain. He then directed the Altaria’s face away from himself as the screeching bird continued spewing fire haphazardly, and threw the dragon towards Ein.

“What the-” the scientist shouted as he instinctively ducked out of the way, letting the bird fire straight into the hole just created by his other two Pokémon and crash into the remaining parts of wall. The Altaria gave a startled squeak before fainting as well.

“Well don’t just watch, keep creating an exit!” he shouted at his remaining Pokémon as he recalled the other two and looked back at the battle field, observing that Wes was still babbling nonsense to himself and frowned. He then turned his attention to the policeman who was gazing at Makuhita.

You should jump as well, it really works! Johnson thought eagerly to the Fighting type. You might as well jump!

No, punching is more fun! Makuhita shouted telepathically as he waved his arms at the man and then demonstrated how well it was helping Wes regain his senses. As this went on, Espeon noticed Ein’s gaze and quickly stepped into the conversation.

Sorry to interrupt the enthralling conversation here, but Johnson - stop nodding and looking at the Pokémon you’re thinking to like that! Or that man will notice!

Oh, okay, Johnson thought to Espeon happily as he turned and begun to nod at the Psychic type, adding in a thumbs up for good measure.

“Aha, you thought the same trick would work again?” Ein said, shaking his head as he laughed at the giveaway and walked back to inspect the progress on his escape route. “Repeat the confusion attacks on the officer there, Lanturn and Huntail!”

“Lanturn!” (Not water!) called the fish Pokémon as he emitted another set of dazzling lights at the target as Huntail began a screech of his own.

Thanks, Johnson, and I don’t mean that sarcastically this time! Espeon thought quickly to the Policeman and smirked. Hook, line and sinker, Ein. As the attacks converged, Espeon leapt in front of Johnson and glowed a deeper shade of purple, letting the status effects hit him instead before the aura around him brightened and reflected the attacks, the majority of the waves of light and sound flying right back at the original perpetrators.

“Oh, I-” Ein began as it dawned him all too late as his water types found themselves on the receiving end of their own attacks.

“Lant!” (Water!) Lanturn shouted as he blasted water into the Huntail, who shouted and retaliated back as they squirmed about on the ground.

“...see,” Ein finished as he shook his head and recalled his two Pokémon. Espeon grinned as he breathed deeply to recover from the energy further expended on his Magic Coat manoeuvre. The only remaining sign of Ein’s Pokémon were now the feathers floating around the room that hadn’t yet attached themselves to Wes’ Pokémon.

“Good work... Espeon...” Wes managed slowly as got to his feet. He shook his head and tentatively tried to keep his balance.

“Umb Umb Umbreon!” (Da daaaaah daahh dah!) Umbreon shouted as he suddenly fell over himself. Espeon looked at his brother and sighed.

“Espeon esp...” (Don’t tell me some of the attack hit you too...)

“Umb eon Umb!” (Dah dah DUUH DAAAH dum!) Umbreon replied before giggling oddly and attempting to bite his own legs.

“Well that’s unfortunate...” Wes said as he grimaced in pain and clutched at his leg. “Yes... and you can stop punching me,” he added to Makuhita.

“Makuhita!” (But punching solves problems!) Makuhita shouted proudly.

“Bah, this is an untimely error of judgment I feel...” Ein said quietly to himself, ignoring the conversation between his opposition before gazing at the gap and grinned. But they managed to finish that hole to a satisfactory standard, but first I’ll have to reveal my trump card and then get out of here.

“Yes, Makuhita, but I’m better...oh,” Wes said as he noticed the sudden appearance of a new Pokémon that looked all too much like Entei and Suicune in size and stature for his liking.

“Fera...” (Not another one...)

“Discharge, Raikou,” Ein said calmly as he picked up his flailing Lanturn.

Espeon instinctively summoned a Protect barrier between himself and the two trainers on his side as Raikou snarled and unleashed a burst of electricity that engulfed the room and struck every other living being in the room, save for Ein who was protected by his Lanturn – the sparks that came his way were absorbed by the dazed fish Pokémon who glowed brightly, the electricity seemingly healing it rather than hurt it. The computers littered around the room burst into flames and test tubes exploded, showering the room in glass. Both Yanma and Feraligatr fell from the immense attack while both Umbreon and Makuhita hung on, the Dark Type continuing his senseless singing despite the attack. Espeon panted heavily after the attack ended and quickly dropped his Protect barrier, and Huntail also suffered from the friendly fire and fainted.

“Good dodging, Magikarp!” Johnson shouted to his Pokémon which continued to flop around despite the attacks.

“How did it avoid that attack...?” Ein mused, paying no attention to the state of his Huntail.

“Are you trying to bring down the whole lab to kill us all or something!?” Wes shouted angrily as he recalled his fainted Pokémon.

“Kill everyone? Hmm, yes, that’s a splendid idea. Raikou, Shadow Rush!” Ein said with a smile. The electric beast immediately charged forward at the trainers. Wes hurriedly glanced at Espeon.
I’m too tired to do another Protect! Espeon conveyed to his trainer.

“Stop him, Magikarp!” Johnson commanded. The fish Pokémon flopped in front of the Raikou and was instantly knocked back over Johnson’s head by the Raikou which continued its run, and smacked heavily into the wall with a loud slap.

“Not like that!” Johnson shouted in fright. Wes looked to Makuhita who was running as fast as he could to intercept the Raikou, but although he managed to strike the Pokémon in the leg and evoke a roar of pain, he was kicked to the side for his troubles and rolled a few times into a wall. The fighting type narrowed his eyes and glared at the Raikou before getting to his feet again, but by then the Raikou had resumed his sprint.

If only I were bigger... Makuhita thought, slamming an arm against the wall.

He’s too small to stop that thing... Wes thought in tandem. “Right,” Wes acknowledged as he fumbled for another Poké Ball. Finding it in his coat’s pocket, he jabbed at the button as he aimed it in front of the group. He then grabbed Espeon and Johnson and hauled them to the side just as Entei appeared and was slammed into by Raikou.

“Do your own Shadow Rush!” Wes yelled. The fire type this time was all too keen to oblige having been greeted by Raikou’s attack and flew into the opposing legendary beast himself. The Raikou responded by charging again, and so the two legendary Pokémon clashed, the room shaking as the large monsters struck each other.

“WHAT!?” Ein shouted, stamping a foot and tugging at his lab coat. “HOW DO YOU HAVE DAKIM’S ENTEI!?”

Oh, so Cipher still don’t know I have it... well until now, Wes thought as he continued to back away from the two Pokémon.

“Nobody told me he went and lost it to you!” Ein raged. “Raikou, lure it this way so I can get out!” he shouted, but the legendary ignored him, too consumed by its fight against Entei.

“Darn it all... but...” he mused, looking at his Lanturn. The confused Pokémon muttered gibberish at Ein. The scientist frowned and slapped the Pokémon before hurling it at the Entei.

“Lots of water!” he commanded, and by luck Lanturn heard the command and obliged, shooting out water as he landed on the Entei. The fire type looked up and roared, distracted by the fish and set upon it instead.

“No, don’t do that, Entei!” Wes shouted, but the additional water attacks further produced by the Lanturn prevented the legendary from paying any heed, while the Raikou added its own Thunderbolt attack to its opponent from afar.

“Onwards at the trainers again, Raikou!” Ein yelled. The electric legendary shook his head slightly before setting off again, no longer overwhelmed by the need to take down the Entei.

I’m slightly undoing its shadow status by calling its name, but I suppose that’s the least of my problems. For the boy though-no! Ein thought as a fist suddenly connected with the side of Raikou’s head and sent it flying into a wall with a loud thud.

“How convenient... and... but...” Ein stuttered as something dawned on him. “No...that can’t be possible, unless...”

“Hariyama!” (I got bigger!) the fighting Pokémon shouted. Wes grinned – they had been all so distracted by the Entei and Raikou battle that nobody had noticed Makuhita evolve suddenly and immediately make his impact. Now instead of being a touch below the waist height of Wes, the Pokémon towered over his trainer and had the physique of a large sumo wrestler. He lumbered forward towards the Raikou and picked up the dazed legendary before hurling him to the other side of the room into another wall.

“If he evolved... he must have been purified...” Ein continued to himself. “So my process was fully reversed as well... and that Feraligatr must have...” The scientist banged his hand against a desk as Raikou limped away from the wall, snarling at Hariyama.

“What’s the matter?” Wes asked with a smirk.

“Raikou, this way to the hole!” Ein called suddenly, ignoring Wes. As Raikou turned and charged at the exit Ein ran at the electric and leapt on before ducking his head as they disappeared.

“Wait...what? You can’t do that! Only Pokémon can flee battles!” Johnson shouted, waving his police badge at their direction. “Stop, in the name of the law! And my shiny badge!”

“Well I didn’t expect that,” Wes said. “Nor for him to leave his remaining Pokémon behind...” he added, looking at Entei currently stomping on the Lanturn with great delight and the fainted Huntail. Sighing, Wes took out its Poké Ball and returned the fire type.

“You won’t be much help in chasing that Raikou if you keep being distracted... Maku-no, Hariyama, you up for taking him on?” the fighting Pokémon nodded before marching off.

“It has my name on it!” Johnson continued to shout, before pausing in thought. “What is the name of the law...?” he asked.

“No, no. He’ll be too fast with a Raikou,” Wes said. “Espeon, do you have-”

Yes, Espeon thought to Wes. Wes grinned and held up the newly evolved Pokémon’s ball and returned Hariyama, before Espeon took control of the orb and sent it whizzing after Ein.

“Good luck,” Wes said softly, before sitting down on the ground and observing the burning surroundings.

“I suppose Tom would have liked to be here,” he added to himself before pulling out his P*DA to alert Sherles.

“Hey Wes, do you suppose the law’s name is Jim?” Johnson asked the teenager.

“Hmm? Yes, I suppose it is a good name,” Wes sighed.

Outside the lab the two policemen ordered to keep guard stood by the fake laser fence, kicking at rocks and shielding their eyes from the sun. Their Growlithe sat at their feet, panting heavily as they kept watch.

“Gee, it sure is boring around here,” one complained as he took a sip from a cup of coffee. The other nodded – it was no fun at all to stay outside in this heat when everyone else was having a battle inside the air-conditioned lab. They could even hear the bangs and cries of Pokémon battling below.

But the free coffee and food for their efforts did make up for it.

It was at that point that Raikou crashed through the ground near them and landed on the ground untidily with Ein hanging on for dear life. He straightened and brushed hair from his face as Raikou stood still for a moment and regarded the policemen, who looked back at the pair with mouths open wider than an awestruck Swalot. The first officer didn’t even appear to notice he was spilling hot coffee on his pants.

“Well, allow me to make it more interesting, gentlemen!” Ein smiled savagely. “Thunderbolt the fools!” The legendary Pokémon obliged with a thunderous roar and ejected a ball of dazzlingly bright electricity.

“Oh dear-” one began before being struck by the attack, and fell.

“Come in, we’ve got a guy on a Raikou-” the other shouted into his walkie talkie before also succumbing to a similar fate.

“See, wasn’t that fun?” Ein asked. “But maybe I overdid it,” he added as he wrinkled his nose at the smell of singed clothing. “Yes, too much fun-” The scientist cut himself off as he heard the sound of a Poké Ball opening followed by a battle cry of an all too familiar Pokémon behind him.

“Hari!” (Prepare yourself!) Hariyama shouted as he assumed a fighting stance as Ein turned his head.

“Well... you were quite fast to get here,” he said slowly. “But even when evolved, your species is still not known for their speed, and so I am fairly confident you cannot chase me on foot. So I’m afraid we must dash!” Ein said to Hariyama before slapping the Raikou’s backside hard, prompting his Pokémon back into a sprint in the opposite direction.

“Hari!” (Coward!) Hariyama shouted after them, shaking a fist before inspecting his surroundings. Noticing the pair of Growlithe whining and licking at the faces of their unconscious trainers, he walked towards them.

But he’s right, I can’t chase after him... he mused as he picked up the distracted dog Pokémon. He then spun around quickly and like a discus thrower hurled the two fire types into the air. The pair of dogs yelped in surprise as they whizzed high into the sky. He then followed their path and watched the two projectiles fly towards the escapees.

...but I can throw things a great distance now, Hariyama smiled as he observed one crash into Ein who shouted in surprise and fell off his ride, and the other into Raikou’s head.

Yes, I like being bigger.

“Where did you... Raikou, wait up!” Ein ordered, but the electric Pokémon paid no heed, now angered by the surprise attack. He merely snarled at Ein and sprinted off faster than before into the deserts of Orre. Meanwhile the two Growlithe got to their feet despite being somewhat dazed by their impromptu flight. Looking at Ein and recalling it was he who had ordered the legendary to hurt their trainers, they growled.

“Hehe... easy now, let’s not act hastily...” Ein pleaded, scrambling to his feet as the two dog Pokémon slowly begun to circle the scientist.

“Hari, Hariyama!” (Wait for me, I want to hit him too!) called the fighting type as he ran towards the scientist. “Hariyama!” (I have the bigger score to settle, after all!)

And the usual what-was-in-the-game-and-chapters deal! Not very long as it's just one battle:
Ein Battle - He's not an easy opponent here - likes to use some status himself (although I didn't use his tendancy to go with toxic like he sometimes does in the games). As usual he has one of the legendary Johto beasts as his last Pokemon, and manages to escape when defeated via the elevator while Wes and Rui just stand there and derp out, which isn't really convincing; hence his attempted getaway via Raikou. He's been kinda left in the dark over what Wes manages to do before hand besides 'he's screwing up Cipher', and is deleting data prior to the battle (which will be dealt with next chapter!). In the game though you give the wiped disk to the kids grid who then slowly unearth data on shadow Pokemon.

As a side note he changes up his team in rebattles considerably and will adopt a LightningRod combo (one poke as that ability and the other is a water flying type of some sort, e.g. Gyarados). But the first time around he doesn't have such a plan or team.

His wants-to-battle animation always struck me as amusing because it appears at first he's stroking his chin... only for the camera to pan to the side and show it's stroking thin air in front of his face. He's probably a bit out of it after all that coffee he used to keep himself awake.

And yes, Makuhita should normally evolve before this battle, but he lost those exp points, remember? =p
Hope you enjoyed!

Last edited:

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
review beam bean thing!
I thought umbreon did not know light screen?

what is the name of the law?

non boss ones are funnier.

still funnier.
LOVE MAGIKARP'S PERSONALITY!

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Another great chapter! Loved Magikarp's personality, and what with Makuhita constantly complaining about his size in this chapter, I had a sneaking suspicion it was going to evolve.

Which leads me to another question; Even though Colosseum is a Generation III game, you had no problem including Generation IV attacks like Hammer Arm and Discharge. Would the same hold true for Generation IV Pokémon? Like, say... Yanmega?