• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Revived Prehistory Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
@VampirateMace

Yeah. From what you say, it is very much a double-edged sword. But man, there are not that noteworthy fossils in here in the Philippines. XP

@Fossildude747

Did a search, and apparently Samson (Z-rex) supposedly has a complete and undistorted skull. Which is unbelievable as it's hard enough for anything to fossilize, but completely untouched? It must have been buried before any scavengers could get it.

All right. I'll be adding the news section soon. As soon as I prepare links and such.

Wow, complete and untouched skull is simply unbelievable. I will have to look into that later.

Meanwhile anybody have ideas for remembering the genus and such of prehistoric animals? I kind of want to know the whole family tree of dinosaurs, but couldn't find any noon confusing trees on google, I at least want to know all the genus, these are the spots I struggle with when it comes to prehistory. When learning new things in prehistory I like to start with dinosaurs as I was interested in them before the whole prehistory scene, and then I like to branch out from that to the times before and after. So any help on this? I'd also like to remember prehistoric creature's scientific names. Because I feel like in paleontology they call them by scientific name most likely, and I need to learn as much as I can, I really want to be a paleontologist someday, but jobs are rare these days it seems.

Topic 3: What do you feel is most underrated in prehistory? Most overrated?

As for me I think that prehistoric plants are underrated, and the small mammals during the Mesozoic era since people seem to forget they are there due to the dinosaurs. I recently gained an interest in learning more about these small mammals. As for the plants, I even ignore them often, however now that I think of it I may research that a bit and try to learn about plants, plants can be cool and interesting. As for overrated, I am sure everyone says dinosaurs, I say dinosaurs, but also saber toothed cats and mammoths. For one thing they are the only prehistoric animals an average person knows (besides things like sharks that are still alive today) and where did saber tooth tiger ever come from? Somebody in my class said something about a saber tooth tiger so I say it's a saber tooth cat and he says no it's tiger, seriously who came up with the tiger part, it's misleading so many people these days, and when people are inaccurate with these things it annoys me, even if I know they can't help it. Sorry for longer answer, what about you guys?

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
@Fossildude747

I think I'll try making a non-confusing family tree later, but right now, the genera that I can remember off the top of my head are Tyrannosaurus, Prognathodon, Spinosaurus, Dimetrodon, Troodon, Allosaurus, basically the first parts of the scientific name (usually) is the hrnus of the slecies. Like there's Allosaurus and the more famous Allosaurus fragillis.

What do you think is the most underrated in prehistory? Most overrated?

It's obvious for both. In the former case, prehistoric plants and Mesozoic mammals. I admit I dismiss plants, but I've still yet to find one that interests me enough for me to look into more plants. Same with mammals. In the latter case, I agree it's dinosaurs. But that doesn't mean I'll stop liking them. XP More specifically the Tyrannosaurus genera. There are even more scary things like Gorgonopsin.

Added in the news section in the OP, by the ways.

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
@Fossildude747

I think I'll try making a non-confusing family tree later, but right now, the genera that I can remember off the top of my head are Tyrannosaurus, Prognathodon, Spinosaurus, Dimetrodon, Troodon, Allosaurus, basically the first parts of the scientific name (usually) is the hrnus of the slecies. Like there's Allosaurus and the more famous Allosaurus fragillis.

It's obvious for both. In the former case, prehistoric plants and Mesozoic mammals. I admit I dismiss plants, but I've still yet to find one that interests me enough for me to look into more plants. Same with mammals. In the latter case, I agree it's dinosaurs. But that doesn't mean I'll stop liking them. XP More specifically the Tyrannosaurus genera. There are even more scary things like Gorgonopsin.

Added in the news section in the OP, by the ways.

Wait, Tyrannosaurus is a species, not a genus if that's what you ment by genera. So I am a bit confused there.

As for the topic, I think Jurassic mammals are fascinating, even though I don't know much about them (and I barely even know about cretaceous and Triassic mammals, might look into them too. I am sure I Triassic mammals were a bit bigger since dinos were just appearing) I just find it amazing the mammals survived through the Jurassic period with giant sauropods stomping around and such.

Speaking of sauropods, that's a genus right? The casses I know are ceratopsions, sauropods and theropods that I can name off my head right now, these are classes right? I am still confused what Tyrannosaurs, stegosaurs, ankylosaurs, therizinosaurs ect. fall into, are those genus? I am pretty sure that they are the split ups of ceratopsions, sauropods, theropods and all those but still very confused what animal category these fall into?

For now I am thinking that the first example is classes and second genus correct? I am familiar with the animal kingdom categories themselves, we went over that a lot last year but it's just I don't know which categories things like this fall into.

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
No, Tyrannosaurus rex is a species. Tyrannosaurus is a genera. It's jist that people usually refer Tyrannosaurus rex as Tyrannosaurus as a species, even though it's a genera. Like how Dimetrodon angelensis (the one from Walking with Monsters documentary) is refered to as Dimentrodon in the show. While Tyrannosaurids is a family that has things like Alioramus along with T. rex in it.

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
No, Tyrannosaurus rex is a species. Tyrannosaurus is a genera. It's jist that people usually refer Tyrannosaurus rex as Tyrannosaurus as a species, even though it's a genera. Like how Dimetrodon angelensis (the one from Walking with Monsters documentary) is refered to as Dimentrodon in the show. While Tyrannosaurids is a family that has things like Alioramus along with T. rex in it.

Alright, try to make me a family tree when you can. I really like the Walking with Monsters documentary btw :D

So Tyrannosaurus rex is a scientific name all along? The only thing I know about scientific names atm is that only the first letter is capitalized while the rest even in the second word are lower case and they are latin.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
@Fossildude747

I think I start off with the tyrannosaurids since my brother knows a lot about them to help. I like Walking with Monsters too. But I prefer Dinosaur Revolution over it.

Yes, actually. Yes, that's true. They also tend to describe the creature in some way, or at least who found it. But then there's also naming them after people. Like Dilplodocus carnegii.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord

With something like 99.9% of life on Earth already extinct, I think that's the most underrated thing. Sure, we talk about dinosaurs, and ice age animals, and a few sea-creatures like trilobites. . . but there are thousand of other 'evolutionary dead-ends'; creatures with grabbers for mouths, cigar shaped critters covered in spikes, sharks with buzzsaw like teeth, trunked camels, sea pens, ect. . .

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Oh yeah. You got a point... But seeing as they're dead-ends, many people would dismiss them. XP But trunked camels? Is that Macrauchenia patachoni? And what about that cigar shaped animal covered in spikes?

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I wish I had a picture of the one grabber mouth creature, I haven't seen it since the class, but it was bizzariffic. Yeah, I wasn't really being literal when I said trunked camels... and this thing.

As for overrated (and this may hurt a little), T-Rex. It's everywhere and huge, and sure it was one of the biggest predators ever, but there are so many fantastic predatory dinosaurs that either get mistaken for it, or ignored in light of it.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Aw... Too bad. It would've been intersting to see. Oh, well, I thought you meant that as they kind of remind me of trunked camels. *sees the link* Hmm... Certainly an interesting creature.

Yup. Definitely overrated. Sure, it's great, but that doesn't mean it's the only one. There are things like Acrocanthosaurus atokensis, and Bradcyneme draculae.

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
@Fossildude747

I think I start off with the tyrannosaurids since my brother knows a lot about them to help. I like Walking with Monsters too. But I prefer Dinosaur Revolution over it.

Yes, actually. Yes, that's true. They also tend to describe the creature in some way, or at least who found it. But then there's also naming them after people. Like Dilplodocus carnegii.

Ok so theropod is a class, then a family in theropods is tyrannosaurids, and then a genus is Tyrannosaurus and a species in that genus is Tyrannosaurus rex correct?

Also, I agree Tyrannosaurus Rex is overrated, there are other large carnivores like Carchardontosaurus or Acrocantosaurus (give me a break on naming the genus rather than specific species. Still not good with scientific names yet)

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Yup. That's right.

And Rugops primus as well as Mapusaueus roseae. Sure, besides, I'm no expert either but you could at least attempt to try. XP

Last edited:

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
Yup. That's right.

And Rugops primus as well as Mapusaueus roseae. Sure, besides, I'm no expert either but you could at least attempt to try. XP

Thing is, I still have trouble remembering the scientific names. And what about Rugops primus and Mapusaueus roseae?

So this means sauropods and ceratopsions are families too?

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Eh, just look up Wikipedia as I technically don't remember their names while posting them and such. XD Well, maybe not Rugops primus, but Mapusaurus roseae was a large carnosaur about 33 feet long, and about two and a half times taller than the average human. It was one of the last carnosaurs to roam the Earth.

I believe so. Ceratopsidae and sauropoda respectively. Not so sure about sauropoda as it lists it as a clade...

EDIT:

Okay, I edited the first topic, AGAIN, having learned that there was a nee discovery.

Also, new topic:

How did you get interested in prehistory?

For me, it started when I was younger. I don't remember how we came to watch it or find it, but my interest started when I watched the documentary, "When Dinosaurs Roamed America." Although it's now outdated (as with any science show), it did showcase feathered dinosaurs in the form of dromaeosaurs. It went uphill after that, with my brother being very interested. I learned many things about prehistory, mostly dinosaurs, from him, despite him being my younger brother. XD I have some fond memories on our debates about theories, behaviors and inaccuracies in popular culture on prehistory. :3

Last edited:

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
How did you get interested in prehistory?

I don't really remember, I think like most kids I loved dinosaurs. Then I went to see the Walking with Dinosaurs arena spectacular, and got a bit more into it, and before I knew it I was watching documentaries A LOT, I simply loved it. Then when I was around 8 or 10 I think, I decided it's time to learn about other prehistoric things as well. I always wanted to be a paleontologist. I still remember when I was a at some summer camp and my friend (he's linkzwk on our fossil fighter forums) told me about it, he was one of my few friends that knew my love for prehistory, but he told me about Fossil Fighters, I got so excited and after the first game, that became my favorite franchise ever. Over the years I researched more and more.

This isn't about the topic: However, I am not sure what I want to be now. I want to study the bones in a lab instead of digging them up, I want to make computer models and all that of how their limbs and such worked. Is that still called a paleontologist? Also I am going to high school in September, what would I have to take for this? I was thinking about Biology, Computer Science, and the last one Geography, just in case I ended up digging the bones, I need to know different rocks and such.

EDIT: Just noticed the news in first post. Will check em out when I can, is the newest at the top or bottom?

EDIT 2: Just read the marine reptile news, it bothers me that they call it a dinosaur when it's not, but pretty cool, I actually need to look into marine reptiles more, I never really did. Also the reptile in the article, named Dearcmhara shawcrossi, is a great example of how you told me some scientific names are named after the person that found them.

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Hmm... Pretty much the same story with me. XD Except the part about Fossil Fighters. XP I found out about FF through the internet.

The first part, I think yes, since you're still researching the bones and getting them fully from the rocks. The second part? I think it's called being a paleo artist. Those sound right to be a paleontologist. But I did a quick search on the requirements and found this: http://www.academicinvest.com/science-careers/geology-careers/how-to-become-a-paleontologist

It details on what a paleontologist does, a link to what jobs you can do as a paleontologist, and what is needed to be a paleontologist, academically and emotionally.

The newest is at the top.

Yeah, I know. At first I wasn'y entirely sure as my brother said Futubasaurus suzukii was actually a swimming dinosaur until I found out it was an Elasmosaridae. X/

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
Hmm... Pretty much the same story with me. XD Except the part about Fossil Fighters. XP I found out about FF through the internet.

The first part, I think yes, since you're still researching the bones and getting them fully from the rocks. The second part? I think it's called being a paleo artist. Those sound right to be a paleontologist. But I did a quick search on the requirements and found this: http://www.academicinvest.com/science-careers/geology-careers/how-to-become-a-paleontologist

It details on what a paleontologist does, a link to what jobs you can do as a paleontologist, and what is needed to be a paleontologist, academically and emotionally.

The newest is at the top.

Yeah, I know. At first I wasn'y entirely sure as my brother said Futubasaurus suzukii was actually a swimming dinosaur until I found out it was an Elasmosaridae. X/

Thanks for the link, will check it when I can.

But what I am worried about is I heard digs can take months, and I still want to have a family and some time to myself, so I am worried about that as well. But honestly, I might be fine if I was out for months, I would have a team around me, and I am sure they might have breaks. I will have to get stronger over the years so I can handle the heavier tools such as picks.

EDIT: Read the link, seem like I am fine as of emotional. But as for education, I am a bit worried about different languages, but hopefully I can learn them in high school and remember them. But there are so many languages, and I only have 4 years of high school, so I am worried about that. As for biology, I am fine with that, last year I completely ignored the grades I got in that class, I never had anything to worry about since it was always an A or A+. So luckily, I think being a biologist can make a back up job for me, I love modern day animals anyways so I wouldn't mind that even though I prefer paleontology. But should I take biology still? Surely they would teach more than my 7th grade class did. I will have to take geology in high school, I learned it in 6th and got fine grades but I don't remember it much. I have a C+ in Chemistry right now, so I gotta get that up. As of the computers, does it mean coding and stuff?

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
You're welcome.

I believe that's true. Plus, the weather and temperature conditions can be very high in some places, so you'd have to be okay with exotic places. But I guess you could just stick to doing what you mentioned on what you want to do.

Also, I added one more news. But question, does anyone want news on movies, documentaries and games involving prehistory?

Fossildude747

Fossil Fighters Fan!
You're welcome.

I believe that's true. Plus, the weather and temperature conditions can be very high in some places, so you'd have to be okay with exotic places. But I guess you could just stick to doing what you mentioned on what you want to do.

Also, I added one more news. But question, does anyone want news on movies, documentaries and games involving prehistory?

I'd like news on that as well, I haven't read all the news yet but will when I can.
I am hoping I can get ok with exotic places, while I don't enjoy very high temperatures, as long as I have water that can help me just fine.
Would there be cold temperatures? I am thinking there might be some digs there sometimes, because I am skinnier than most so I don't have as much body fat, so I'd need coats.

Also I could stick to doing what?

EDIT: Wow, watched the utahraptor news, I can't believe it took 10 years to get that off the mountain. That's what I am worried about, you very likely don't leave the site within those 10 years either. Perhaps it's not the career for me.

Last edited:

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
All right. I'll add it soon.

Stick to staying in the lab, doing 3D models of prehistoric animals, and trying to have a family.

Woah, didn't read the ten years part. XD Yeah, probably not. It takes dedication to do it.

EDIT: In the process of adding more news.

EDIT2: Added news on Jurassic World and Fossil Fighters Frontier. XP Also added old news 'cause I find it amusing, and then added dates to when they were posted on their sites.

New topic 'cause I feel like it. XP

What's your opinion of inaccuracies?

Personally, I don't mind too much. After all, they're not experts. But I can't help but point out inaccuracies and male fun of 'em. XP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.