• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The right Pokèball for the right Pokèmon

Aetius

The right Pokèball for the right Pokèmon

Pokèballs are, without a doubt, the most important aspect of the franchise considering that they allow us to capture our favourite Pokèmon, and now that Gen VI made it possible for us to put them in the right ball thanks to the new breeding machanics (passing down the Pokèball with which the mother was captured), I was wondering which kinds of Pokeballs could be fitting for all Pokèmon in existence.

For example, I think that a Dive Ball would be perfect for a Water Pokèmon, as a Dusk one would be for a Dark or a Ghost one.

What about you? In what kinds of Pokèballs do you think that Water, Dark, Ice, Fire, Grass, Fairy, Dragon, Ground, Rock, Steel, Ghost, Fight, Normal, Electric, Bug, Psychic, Poison and Flying Pokèmon should be?

Last edited:

TieSoul

I don't use the balls on a specific type, but I tend to use the one closest to the pokemon's color scheme; Dusk for Zygarde, for example.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
I don't really make a whole list of types to go on which Pokeballs. I actually just use Premier Balls for favorite Pokemon and Legendaries. I really love Premier Balls *^* Otherwise any other Pokemon is gonna be stuck with whatever Ball I have in hand. Except the Master Ball, I really don't know what to do with it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yeah, I've never bothered matching Pokeballs. Normally I'll end with team of five Ultra Balls and one Pokeball (that being my Starter). I just throw what I've got.

I also don't have certain Pokeballs that my Pokemon go into.
It's just whatever I ended up using at the time. Most of the time it will be a quick ball.

Also, to be the first to answer this question:

Aetius said:
What about you? In what kinds of Pokèballs do you think that Water, Dark, Ice, Fire, Grass, Fairy, Dragon, Ground, Rock, Steel, Ghost, Fight, Normal, Electric, Bug, Psychic, Poison and Flying Pokèmon should be?

Water - Dive/Lure/Net
Ice - No clue.
Fire - No clue
Grass - No clue
Fairy - Moon ball
Dragon - Ultra ball (that way I'm not immediately resorting to the Master Ball for such a strong type)
Ground - No clue
Rock - Great ball
Steel - Heavy ball
Ghost - No clue
Fight - Great/Ultra ball
Normal - Standard pokeball
Electric - Quick ball
Bug - Net ball
Psychic - No clue
Poison - No clue
Flying - No clue

Aetius

It looks like I'm the only Pokèball maniac here. XD
Anyway, thank you very much for all of your answers.
Actually, I too usually end up using whatever Pokèball I've got on my hands, but when I accidentally bred a Politoed whose mother happened to be in a Dive Ball, I soon realized how cool it this to have a flawless Pokèmon, with the right nature and in the right Pokèball. :D
And thanks Painkiller for giving me your opinion about which Pokèmon should be in all of the Pokèballs' variants; it was really helpful. :)

RedJirachi

Veteran member
When it comes to my team-members, I just try to get them in regular old Pokeballs

It's really a cool mechanic you guys should get into ! I know a Dive ball Shiny Politoed looks very cool :)

It looks like I'm the only Pokèball maniac here. XD
Anyway, thank you very much for all of your answers.
Actually, I too usually end up using whatever Pokèball I've got on my hands, but when I accidentally bred a Politoed whose mother happened to be in a Dive Ball, I soon realized how cool it this to have a flawless Pokèmon, with the right nature and in the right Pokèball. :D
And thanks Painkiller for giving me your opinion about which Pokèmon should be in all of the Pokèballs' variants; it was really helpful. :)

You're very welcome! :)

I would only consider having my Pokemon in certain balls if there was a mechanic that let you switch out what Pokemon are in which Pokeball.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Master Ball for the highest level or final legendary of the game. I tend to use it on level 75 Kyurem of BW or level 80 Deoxys of Omega Ruby.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I like to try and have my Pokemon in PokeBalls that match their colours (e.g. my Zapdos in an Ultra Ball, Azelf and Greninja in a Dive Ball, etc). In XY I only wanted Pokemon in standard PokeBalls because I didn't like them being in anything else, until I got myself a Sneasel in a Moon Ball. In OR I always want my Pokemon in different PokeBalls whenever possible.

I just wish there were more options to pick from or at least the ability to change the PokeBall your Pokemon are in without the use of a cheating device. One day hoping for my Friend Ball HA Sceptile and Lure Ball HA Feraligatr.

raichu27

I often would use Poke Balls or Great Balls for like lower level Pokemon, and Ultra Balls for higher level Pokemon. I also use Dusk Ball for Pokemon from darker areas depending on how hard it is to catch. And Timer Balls for catching legendary Pokemon and ones with lower catch rate, if the Ultra or Dusk Balls keeps on not working. I would also use like a Net Ball on a bug or water Pokemon depending on how hard it is to catch.

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
When Im in early parts of the game where I can still catch pokemon w Premier balls I usually reserve mine for special pokemon or ones I feel I will use regularly. For example I always have a flying pokemon in my team so I would use my premier ball for that, or a more specific example if im playing Platinum I would use mine on Shinx since i love the Shinx evolution line.

Grei

not the color
It depends. If I'm catching for the sake of owning the Pokemon, I usually use a Quick Ball. With Pokemon I really care about, I often try to find the happy medium between color scheme and effectiveness of the ball.

Otherwise, I usually catch my team early on, so they end up in Pokeballs regardless. I'll occasionally have one member of the party in a Great Ball, Repeat Ball, or Net Ball, but otherwise I try to keep it primarily Pokeballs.

I'm trying to break that habit, though. It comes entirely from the anime and is sort of lame to do imo.