• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Rise of Darkai (10)

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
By this logic you wonder why Dawn's screentime was reduced in the next 3 movies, she should have been treated the same way she was here.

Well she was pretty usefull in 2nd movie as well with brock just standing there, while in 3rd she did get satisfactory screentime it was only the 4th movie where she suffered and didn't do much and even then she battled with brock against bad guys to stop them.

Its kind of ironic people remember brock battling moly holly in movie 3 to stall time for ash to progress but forget about battle brock did in this movie 13 with goon's underling to help ash escape.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Hikari certainly seemed to get just as much attention as Satoshi here, which makes me wonder why she was downgraded in future Shinou movies and given shorter scenes.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Hikari certainly seemed to get just as much attention as Satoshi here, which makes me wonder why she was downgraded in future Shinou movies and given shorter scenes.

It was still better than the role other pokegirls got who were standing there.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
For two forces that represent time and space, that fight was poorly choreographed. Firing beams, spheres, and slashes at each other wasn't interesting at all. It's lazy.

Kintaro

Banned
Ironically enough this was the last "good" Pokemon movie, or at least by Pokemon standards up until Movie 21.

I liked the rest of the DP movies but they weren't great, and then the BW/XY movies and Movie 20 were all meh. Can you believe it took them 11 years after this one to make another good movie?

Leonhart

Imagineer
U.N. Owen said:
For two forces that represent time and space, that fight was poorly choreographed. Firing beams, spheres, and slashes at each other wasn't interesting at all. It's lazy.

I did want to see Dialga use time-travel here given its theme, although that was saved for the Arceus movie.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
This movie really set the bar when it came to how the title legendary Pokemon was redeemed. It was a classic 'Pokemon is misunderstood' thing, but it worked so well because Darkrai looked evil and the surprise twist was unexpected.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Aren't beam battles the standard battle type in almost all the movies? I remember how the Lugia movie also had nothing but elemental beams getting shot out by the Kanto legendary birds.

While standard, we could do so much better since we have an expanded move pool and better technological capabilities. I hate the battle so much in this movie because it doesn't sell just how dire the situation was had we not Exposition Character M10 tell us about the stakes. We don't get to see space being bent into an Escher painting or consistent gravity problems or Dialga actually utilizing time powers to predict moves.

Leonhart

Imagineer
U.N. Owen said:
We don't get to see space being bent into an Escher painting or consistent gravity problems or Dialga actually utilizing time powers to predict moves.

In a way, I did think it was a waste that we had two Legendaries who supposedly controlled time and space here, yet they didn't show those abilities much other than when the time-space continuum around Alamos Town got distorted and started to dissolve.

Jnmisty

That dream that Ash had when he was accidentally hit by the Dark Void. Did it had that foreshadowing feel to it to what’s going on?

Leonhart

Imagineer
At first I assumed that Satoshi's nightmare was foreshadowing the coming crisis in Alamos Town, but for that to be true we'd have to assume that Darkrai knew that it was going to happen and that he wanted to warn Satoshi, which is odd since it would make more sense for Darkrai to warn one of the town's actual inhabitants.

Leonhart

Imagineer
tmp1114 said:
Darkrai is very like batman.

In the sense that it was the protector of Alamos Town similar to how Batman protects Gotham, I can sort of see it. Yet maybe it's my own personal bias, but I can't think of Darkrai as a hero despite its loyalty to the town here, because I always associate Darkrai with nightmares and evil in general. That's why I wish that the movie writer had chosen a different Pokemon to be the hero.

This movie is kind of overrated but still a great movie.