• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Rite of the Island Challenge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the 8th gym I'd like a fairy type gym with a Vin Diesel lookalike as the leader. Also, they should make him wear a pink dress.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
For the 8th gym I'd like a fairy type gym with a Vin Diesel lookalike as the leader. Also, they should make him wear a pink dress.

Don't know where you've been, but they confirmed that gyms would be replaced by Island Trials a month ago.

Don't know where you've been, but they confirmed that gyms would be replaced by Island Trials a month ago.

Oh really? Wow that's kinda messing up the concept. I'm sorry I guess.

Well, then I'd like one of the leaders there, (or whatever they are called) to look like what I described. That'd be cool.

(Also, I'm shocked right now. Is this really happening? no gyms? I gotta let that sink in for a minute... or a day or two....)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Oh really? Wow that's kinda messing up the concept. I'm sorry I guess.

Well, then I'd like one of the leaders there, (or whatever they are called) to look like what I described. That'd be cool.

(Also, I'm shocked right now. Is this really happening? no gyms? I gotta let that sink in for a minute... or a day or two....)

I know, I still barely believe it. You should read this to catch up.

LePetitMeow

I'm still fairly certain that the four trial captains we've encountered will all take place on Akala Island.

Hala belongs to MeleMele, yet we've got no trial captains confirmed for that island.

I'd imagine that the Totem Pokemon for each trial will be of that specific type. So Gumshoos being a normal type makes sense for the first trial on MeleMele Island.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
I'm a little behind and very confused..is the Island Challenge replacing Gyms?

Yup, no gyms in favour of the Island Challenge. A welcome change if you ask me, the old formula had begun to stagnate in XY I feel.

vespiqueen

Does anyone know if we battle the trial captains? And I guess they don't have their own type of "gym" as in a place where they're located at?

HolyKey

Lore Keeper
Does anyone know if we battle the trial captains? And I guess they don't have their own type of "gym" as in a place where they're located at?

No word on if we battle them, although I'd guess so considering they've got 'Specialty' types. Trial Challenges are going to be various things, though, so I'm sure battling is going to play a part in at least some of the challenges. Given that we're probably going to have around 16 Trial Captains if evidence is correct.

Edit: There are also 'Trial Sites' where the trials take place, but I'm willing to bet a lot of them are outdoors instead of in a building like Gyms.

Last edited:

vespiqueen

I wonder if you have to beat certain trials before you can go to the next, if they're in a certain order the same way that gyms are and if the islands that we do the trials on are in a certain order.

shadowF

do you guys think that to become the island challenge champion you need to beat the current champion or it is just a tournament or just beating the four islands? or how would you like it to finish?

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
do you guys think that to become the island challenge champion you need to beat the current champion or it is just a tournament or just beating the four islands? or how would you like it to finish?

It sounds like Island Trial version of Pokémon League, honestly. Just like how you need to best every GYM, challenge the league and beat the Champion to be crowned as Champion, it is most likely going to be the case in here. You have to beat every trial and beat the region Champion to successfully complete the trial.

Another version of it could be sub-challenges, where you have to complete every trial in a specific (MeleMele, Akala) island and beat the Kahuna of the said island to be Champion, which in my opinion is the case for being a Trial Captain of an island.

ABC595

I'm hoping for a tournament to tie into the online tournaments we now will get.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Given what the Backpacker said about a "champion you wouldn't believe", then I'm guessing that there will be a Champion we have to beat.

epicgordan

Okay, so I'm gonna try my best to figure out what the island trials are going to be (I won't bother with Totem Pokémon for the most part because we still don't know the full Alolan Pokedex yet):

Island 1 (Melemele Island): Normal, Bug, Flying, Rock

All four of these types have historically been early gym leaders--specifically, they have all been a past region's first gym specialty at least once in the past. As such, all four of these Trials are probably going to be fairly easy and straightforward.

Flying: A tutorial-based Trial, showing you the ropes. Probably at the Pokémon Trainer School where you learn the basics, with Pikipek's first evolved form serving as a totem.
Bug: Make your way through the woods. Vikavolt will be the totem Pokémon.
Normal: Since it appears to be beside the jagged a cliff side (possibly near that waterfall), and it's Gumshoes, it's probably going to involve locating a secret spot.
Rock: Find the missing Rockruff. His evolved form will be the Totem Pokémon.

Completing all four trials will net you a fight with Hala, who will use Pokémon of each of the above types.

Island 2: Grass, Water, Electric, Fire

Dealing with the Starter types, here. The trials are clearly going to become tougher than earlier, but still fairly easy to figure out.

Grass: Mallow's challenge is a scavenger hunt, and Lurantis is the Totem Pokémon (confirmed).
Water: Lana needs you to surf in the waters and hunt down a specific Pokémon--likely the Totem (The general consensus does appear to be Wishiwashi (Schooling form) as the Totem Pokémon.
Electric: A popular theory is that it's going to be a Totem Alolan Raichu. Nobody knows what Sophocles' trial might be or where, but it might actually be in the lighthouse, and I believe his trial to be a trivia thing.
Fire: Kiawe and his Alolan Marowak will likely challenge you to a dance off, and it will be a Memory Game. Alolan Marowak might be the Totem Pokémon, but I wager it's probably something we haven't even seen yet.

Island 3: Fighting, Ground, Ice, Poison

Here, I'm gonna expect the story to really pick up, as it will involve Team Skull more than ever. We probably would have to deal with their antics before taking on the trials themselves, and the trials on this island will surely push you to your limits.

Fighting: I'm gonna just make the assumption that that giant Pagoda is a trial spot for this type. And this trial will be 100% battle-related as you have to fight your way all the way to the top, where you'll encounter the fighting-type Totem Pokémon.
Ground: That muddy-looking region in the southeast. I'm gonna assume that it will involve an archeological dig in some ancient ruins, and you will need to complete a truly labyrinthian trial and solve the riddles of the place in order to face the Totem Pokémon.
Ice: The top of that mountain. It will probably involve an extremely dangerous hike up the mountain that you would need to complete without any help from a Pokémon Center, and without any quick transportation back. As such, I'm gonna assume that reaching the top of the peak will be the Trial, and based on the description, Alolan Ninetales (or that snowman Pokémon we heard from both of the leaks with any sort of credibility) will likely be the Totem Pokémon here.
Poison: This trial could also potentially be the Dark-type trial, but who can say? Either it will be in that walled off city that is occupied by Team Skull, or that weather institute (that will almost certainly be plot-related). It's kind of hard to pinpoint who the Totem Pokémon is gonna be or what the specific trial is going to be, however, since we know very little, if anything about it.

Island 4: Psychic, Dragon, Fairy, Steel/Ghost

The supernatural trials. An unlike the other three islands, I'm gonna suspect that none of these trials will have trial captains, and that you will have to figure out the trials on your own. And isn't it fitting that the types that one would most affiliate with Legendary Pokémon are gonna be the trials here? As for Steel/Ghost, the most I can assume is that said trial is going to be one and the same in both versions, but the Totem Pokémon will be version-exclusive--Solgaleo for Steel, and Lunala for Ghost.

That just leaves us with two secret Trials (on those two tiny islands not part of the main region): The other typing for Ghost/Steel, and the final one (either Dark or Poison). I'm gonna assume that both secret Totem Pokémon are also going to be Legendary Pokémon, however. The Ghost/Steel-type representing the other version's exclusive's totem will probably be Mashadow, with a unique ability that shapes its appearance to look like either Solgaleo in Moon or Lunala in Sun (depending on if it's holding either the Steel or Ghost Z-Crystal respectively). My theory too is that as secret Totem Pokémon, they don't have any trials at all and you simply have to hunt them down.

The island closest to island 4 is going to be Mashadow's resting place. While the island with the palm tree is probably going to contain another legendary that nobody has any idea what it could be. I suspect on another thread that it's probably going to be a fifth "evil" Tapu Pokémon that was sealed away to keep the Alola region safe, and my initial thoughts might be Dark/Ground or Dark/Fire(maybe a devil Pokémon). But it could be Dark/Poison too now that I think about it; the Dark typing can counter Solgaleo, Lunala, and Mashadow (especially since Steel types apparently no longer resist Dark) while Poison is meant to directly attack the Tapu Pokémon (since they are all part Fairy-type). This could give credence as to why Zygarde--who is native to Kalos--would have such a huge presence in the Alola region as the only thing that could stop this evil Pokémon.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Has anyone noticed the '+' symbols on Lana's Hip, Mallow's Hip, Soph's Belt Buckle, and Kiawi Necklace?
Yep. I'm guessing that all the Trial Captains will have it.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Yep. I'm guessing that all the Trial Captains will have it.

And the colors will represent their type specialty.
Hala doesn't have anything similar though. So Kahuna's probably don't have emblems of sorts. Hala is wearing a Z-Ring though.

epicgordan

Has anyone noticed the '+' symbols on Lana's Hip, Mallow's Hip, Soph's Belt Buckle, and Kiawi Necklace?

Perhaps a general location on where their trials are supposed to be located? I may need to take a closer look on Mallow, Lana, Soph, and Kiawe's emblems in order to cross-examine this particular theory though. I suspect, however, that Kiawe's will be located in the eastern region; Lana in the north, Mallow in the west, and Soph in the south. If I'm wrong in relation to the emblems and their directions (like, without a shadow of a doubt wrong), then okay. Fine. But I do know for a fact that the colored parts of each of their emblems are all in completely different corners from each other.

Perhaps a general location on where their trials are supposed to be located? I may need to take a closer look on Mallow, Lana, Soph, and Kiawe's emblems in order to cross-examine this particular theory though. I suspect, however, that Kiawe's will be located in the eastern region; Lana in the north, Mallow in the west, and Soph in the south. If I'm wrong in relation to the emblems and their directions (like, without a shadow of a doubt wrong), then okay. Fine. But I do know for a fact that the colored parts of each of their emblems are all in completely different corners from each other.

Well, sorry to tell you this, but all of their emblems have the same - southern - part coloured in.

Status
Not open for further replies.