• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Rite of the Island Challenge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Well, sorry to tell you this, but all of their emblems have the same - southern - part coloured in.

Well, sorry to tell you this, hydro, but their emblems have the NORTHERN part colored in. Not South. :p

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
But he is the first prominent character with ink, no?

I'm partial to the theory that Misty has a tramp stamp that says: "Only4AshMy name is Misty"...

>.>

Saw a rumor on PJ that we'd get 16 Island Challenges. I'd like that quite honestly. I don't know who mentioned it here, but having Normal, Bug, Flying and Rock as the Trials on Melemele would be a nice nod to them being the first gym-types in prior generations. Well, excluding Striaton Gym, but the triplets had a Lillipup each.

That would mean:
- Island 1: Normal, Bug, Flying, Rock.
- Island 2: Grass, Water, Electric, Fire.
- Island 3: ..., ..., ..., ...
- Island 4: ..., ..., ..., ...

Considering there's ten types left if you exclude those eight, you'd get a mix between:
- Special: Ice, Psychic, Dragon, Dark, Fairy
- Physical: Ground, Fighting, Poison, Ghost, Steel

Considering the snowcapped peak, I'd think that Ice is a shoe-in for the 3rd Island. I think the closed off city on the same Island might be a haunted one, so perhaps Ghost. Then there's the sandy area, and I can just see the Sandcastles being the Totem Pokémon there. The area with the pagode-styled tower I could envision as a Fighting-type area as well. So Island 3 would be: Fighting, Ghost, Ice and Ground.

Dunno about the final island.. Psychic, Dark, Dragon, Fairy, Poison and Steel left. I definitely do not see a pattern there. Aside from three types being added in later generations to be immune to the other three types.

Gis4Gamer

I still don't think Sophocles is on Akala island. There is nothing on Akala island that looks like it could be a research facility. I think it is more likely that Sophocles is on Ula Ula island inside the observatory. He will probably be the first trial captain you face on Ula Ula island as well. Although having 16 trial captains sounds awesome, I just can't picture there being 4 trial captains on MeleMele island and Poni island. The another reason I don't think there are 16 trial captains is because in the Team Skull reveal trailer you fight Guzma at around level 30. I can't imagine our Pokémon only being around level 30 after fighting 8 Totem Pokémon and 2 Kahunas. I think it would be more reasonable to have 1-2 trial captain on MeleMele island, 3 trial captains on Akala island, 3-4 trail captains on Ula Ula island, and 1-3 trial captains on Poni island.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I still don't think Sophocles is on Akala island. There is nothing on Akala island that looks like it could be a research facility. I think it is more likely that Sophocles is on Ula Ula island inside the observatory. He will probably be the first trial captain you face on Ula Ula island as well. Although having 16 trial captains sounds awesome, I just can't picture there being 4 trial captains on MeleMele island and Poni island. The another reason I don't think there are 16 trial captains is because in the Team Skull reveal trailer you fight Guzma at around level 30. I can't imagine our Pokémon only being around level 30 after fighting 8 Totem Pokémon and 2 Kahunas. I think it would be more reasonable to have 1-2 trial captain on MeleMele island, 3 trial captains on Akala island, 3-4 trail captains on Ula Ula island, and 1-3 trial captains on Poni island.

Being Level 30 at is what is approximately half way through the game seems perfectly reasonable if you ask me. And as for the research facility Sophocles could be hold up in, I'll link a picture for reference:

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/4/40/Akala_Island.png

Look at the building at the base of the volcano with the rounded roof and two rectangular pools in front of it. Notice the little enclosed glass balcony coming off of it? My guess is that's Soph's workspace.

I think 16 trial captains (4 in each island) is way too much.
My guess we'll only have 10 trial captains:

1 captain/trial in Poni
2 captains/trials in Mele-Mele
3 captains/trials in Akala
4 captains/trials in Ula-Ula

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I think 16 trial captains (4 in each island) is way too much.
My guess we'll only have 10 trial captains:

1 captain/trial in Poni
2 captains/trials in Mele-Mele
3 captains/trials in Akala
4 captains/trials in Ula-Ula

I'm just curious, how is more game to play a bad thing? I mean, I would embrace 16 Trials wholeheartedly. I'd love to have a huge, epic Pokemon game in the main series!

Gis4Gamer

Being Level 30 at is what is approximately half way through the game seems perfectly reasonable if you ask me. And as for the research facility Sophocles could be hold up in, I'll link a picture for reference:

Look at the building at the base of the volcano with the rounded roof and two rectangular pools in front of it. Notice the little enclosed glass balcony coming off of it? My guess is that's Soph's workspace.

Being at level 30 halfway through the game isn't the problem. It is the amount of battles the player has to go through to reach the halfway point. It feels like the level curve of the challenges will be too flat. If after 4 gym battles the player's party is around level 30, then obviously the level curve would be flatter if you go through 8 Totem Pokémon and 2 Kahuna battles.

The building at the base of the volcano could be a research facility, but it looks more like some kind of contest hall. Even if it was a research facility it wouldn't have a connection to space unlike Sophocles's lab. His lab has starry curtains as well as a giant rock, most likely a meteor given the game's theme. This would point toward a connection to space and the most suitable place to research space is at an observatory. There is more evidence pointing toward Sophocles being in the observatory than on Akala island.

I'm not saying having too much trials/captain is a bad thing. Me too want to experience that Pokemon game, but by just looking at the islands of Alola: The size and topography, having 16 captains/trials is a slightly vague thing to happen. (For me).

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Being at level 30 halfway through the game isn't the problem. It is the amount of battles the player has to go through to reach the halfway point. It feels like the level curve of the challenges will be too flat. If after 4 gym battles the player's party is around level 30, then obviously the level curve would be flatter if you go through 8 Totem Pokémon and 2 Kahuna battles.

The building at the base of the volcano could be a research facility, but it looks more like some kind of contest hall. Even if it was a research facility it wouldn't have a connection to space unlike Sophocles's lab. His lab has starry curtains as well as a giant rock, most likely a meteor given the game's theme. This would point toward a connection to space and the most suitable place to research space is at an observatory. There is more evidence pointing toward Sophocles being in the observatory than on Akala island.

Except that the Trials won't necessarily include battling, with the obvious exception of the Totem Pokemon. Still, that's only one guaranteed battle per Trial, which isn't much, and there's no telling how much battling there will be in between trials. It could be that most Trainer battles are optional or avoidable. Honestly, it's hard to say, but at this juncture I don't think that the level curve is falling flat. You really do need to keep in mind that 1 Trial is not necessarily equivalent to 1 Gym, and that the time/experience gained in-between Trials is an unknown.

As for good ole' Soph, the observatory would be a good place for him, no doubt. I was just pointing out a good spot for him on Akala, since you said you thought there wasn't anywhere that you thought would be his research facility there.

Gis4Gamer

Except that the Trials won't necessarily include battling, with the obvious exception of the Totem Pokemon. Still, that's only one guaranteed battle per Trial, which isn't much, and there's no telling how much battling there will be in between trials. It could be that most Trainer battles are optional or avoidable. Honestly, it's hard to say, but at this juncture I don't think that the level curve is falling flat. You really do need to keep in mind that 1 Trial is not necessarily equivalent to 1 Gym, and that the time/experience gained in-between Trials is an unknown.

As for good ole' Soph, the observatory would be a good place for him, no doubt. I was just pointing out a good spot for him on Akala, since you said you thought there wasn't anywhere that you thought would be his research facility there.

I'll have to agree that we don't know how much experience a trainer will gain from the Totem battles. I still can't picture 4 trial captains on MeleMele or Poni island. MeleMele island is too small to fit 4 trial captains with reasonable distance between them. Poni island also looks largely uninhabited, with the exception of the dock. I think it would be best to have 1 trial captain on MeleMele island to help introduce the player to the island trial challenge. I feel the game will drag on too long at the start if the player has to complete 4 trials and defeat 4 Totem Pokémon as well as the Kahuna before they are allowed to progress.

Locormus

I think a lot of people are overemphasizing the Totem Pokémon Battles. One stronger critter with a boost to a stat and a few minions doesn't equate to the exp. you get from a gym, which typically involves multiple trainer battles (which means higher exp).

Nah, I believe Spenser in Emerald would hold that feat.
Matt's markings on his face and chest in ORAS could also be tattoos, but they're more ambiguous.

Matt's blue markings on the face could be his hair, while the white'ish Team Aqua logo could just be the result of giant Team Aqua-shaped tanline.. We've seen it before with Marlon.. xD

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I think a lot of people are overemphasizing the Totem Pokémon Battles. One stronger critter with a boost to a stat and a few minions doesn't equate to the exp. you get from a gym, which typically involves multiple trainer battles (which means higher exp).

Matt's blue markings on the face could be his hair, while the white'ish Team Aqua logo could just be the result of giant Team Aqua-shaped tanline.. We've seen it before with Marlon.. xD

we also haven't seen the areas up to the totem pokemon either, they could put a lot of trainers in the area who are 'trying' to get to the totem pokemon and are lost or something and use that as 'gym trainers'. Or there could be a lot of stronger wild pokemon in the areas near the totem pokemon to make up for the gym grunts.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Totem pokemon seems to be some kind of boss pokemon in the trial that is not captureable. At least we get experience from defeating them (hopefully).

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Totem pokemon seems to be some kind of boss pokemon in the trial that is not captureable. At least we get experience from defeating them (hopefully).
Don't see why we wouldn't get EXP from them, they're still Pokémon you battle, after all.

Locormus

Don't see why we wouldn't get EXP from them, they're still Pokémon you battle, after all.

Yeah, the question being whether or not you get trainer-level EXP from them.

Gizmoa

I think it would be cool if at the end we become a trial captain at the end and then build trial bases to share.

shadowF

if the leaks do come true in us creating a pokemon league after the trial challenge could that mean that we are trying to prove that the trial challenge is stupid? I hope not because it would suck that a person from another region comes to Aloha and then wins and creates a Pokemon league destroying the tradition and culture of Aloha. But if we do create a league then I hope that at the least we can choose our elite four and our elite four wont be our Kahunas.

marrycherrylips

im interested in seeing how this is put into the anime. what would be the reason of sending ash here if he cant technically win a league?

maybe they will do it differently and perhaps the league will be in place or in the works when ash arrives and then by the end it'll be ready and thats what he'll compete in

goodpeople25

Well the league tournament doesn't really exist in the games anyway, so really not much is changing when you think about it. Likely just how you enter the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.