• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Rite of the Island Challenge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creyk

So the Champion should have all Lv. 100 Pokemon, a battle facility-tier hax AI, or both...

Or at least have legends from past generations. Like, 4 legends and 2 power mons from the current generation.
How cool would it be to face Darkrai, Palkia, Arceus, Giratina + regional pseudo legendary + someone who mega evolves.
That would be intense.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Personally, I'd love a champion who has at least one Lv. 100 Pokemon.

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
Personally, I'd love a champion who has at least one Lv. 100 Pokemon.

I don't think we're ever going to get one, unless you get to rematch them and their Pokemon's levels get higher. It would be a challenge though.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I thought the games were going to be made more easy. I think the gym leaders, elite four and champion would be just as easy as gen 6 or even more easy.

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
I thought the games were going to be made more easy. I think the gym leaders, elite four and champion would be just as easy as gen 6 or even more easy.

They probably are, but it's fun to speculate.

misunderstoodhero

I think Matsuda said something about removing some of the layers of complexity Pokemon has built up over the years and making the game simple again (Which would be a mistake IMO)

Making the game simpler doesn't equate to making it easier.
Heck, the gym leaders could all have their Pokemon many levels above yours with high offensive stats that allow them to brute force their way through your team. That would make them simpler then some of the previous gym leaders.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
I think Matsuda said something about removing some of the layers of complexity Pokemon has built up over the years and making the game simple again (Which would be a mistake IMO)

Making the game simpler doesn't equate to making it easier.
Heck, the gym leaders could all have their Pokemon many levels above yours with high offensive stats that allow them to brute force their way through your team. That would make them simpler then some of the previous gym leaders.

dose that mean things like Gym leader/ elite four rematch ain't coming back?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
dose that mean things like Gym leader/ elite four rematch ain't coming back?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I hope not. I got bored in the X/Y postgame, and without the rematches I'd be even more bored.

I'm not really for all dual-type Gyms, but I'm really hoping for one that serves as a double battle gym. Some sort of opposites, maybe a Flying/Ground Gym for maximum Earthquake spam?

Galvantula1992

Does anyone think that CoroCoro will reveal a gym leader this month?

If I remember right, CoroCoro confirmed Viola, Grant, Korrina, and Clemont at differen times, but not as early as the first reveal. This issue, if it reveals anything, will likely be the protags and the starters, maybe legends too.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

It's way too early for a Gym Leader reveal.
The first issue normally contains the main character, starters, mascot legends, and a bit of region overview (screenshots).

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Yeah, GL reveals will probably come in two or three CoroCoro issues.

Next one will probably have protags, startes, box legends.
The one after additional game stuff and a few more Pokémon.
And then GLs alongside a few more Pokémon.

and of course oorotto v2 in a random trailer

.Aerodactyl.

I am of the camp that going more simple doesn't equate to being easier. Making less bizarre evolution methods and shaving out some useless features and items (like possibly removing HM's, incenses and just letting each Pokémon hatch in it's first stage). I don't think it has to effect gym leaders and elite four's difficulty. Thing is, I think these games will still be easy though because of the kids and the model. They've done the research, they don't just arbitrarily decide these things. Kids don't have the attention spans they used to and their is also way more games and competition fighting for their attention (and many are free or cheaper). A difficulty setting does seem the logical step on solving this problem though... Even if they left it on "easy" mode or whatever from the beginning (because I imagine many of the youngest kids playing wouldn't bother with the settings to change it; kind of like when we got the experience share) and then letting us older people find it and decide for ourselves. It seemed one of the best features of Gen 5. I didn't like Gen 5 as a whole, but it still had some great ideas and features like this. They were able to do it before, I wonder what stopped them from doing it again or what keeps them from it? Is it a coding thing or a software thing? What did it do exactly to add difficulty? Bump levels of gym leaders, bump their AI (is such a thing possible?) Bump up their number of Pokemon? A combo of all three? Cause I'd love to face full teams on gym leaders and elite four again. Especially ones with strategies that throw me for a loop like Whitney did when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I think the first gym should be Ice this time. The first gym is supposed to teach new players about type matchups. That's why it was usually Rock, and Bug in Gen 6. Ice interacts with the starter types in the same way, being weak to one and strong against another.

Plus it would be a nice change of pace. Ice gyms have always come at the end of the game, always been Gym 7 or 8. Not to mention Ice-type Pokemon have always come late in the game for some reason. I can't recall anytime an Ice-type type has been catchable before mid-game at the earliest. I can't think of a reason why they need to do this, so for the first time we could have a snowy area early game.

and of course oorotto v2 in a random trailer

inb4 every Pokemon ends up in an obscure trailer

I'm just hoping the GLs use much stronger Pokemon and counters to their weaknesses. Viola and Grant were decent attempts as this, with Viola countering Fire with Surskit, and Grant using Amaura and Tyrunt to crap on your Grass Type's day, but they were still vulnerable to steel, ground and especially fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.