• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Rite of the Island Challenge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmikeyxlikesitx

Pokémon Coordinator
Comments / thoughts in Bold.

Two thoughts that aren't really connected to my opinions on the above poster.

Number One: I've mentioned a few times in this thread before but I think Flying would be a really fitting type for the 8th Gym Leader of this region and I was just thinking it'd be really cool if their ace pokemon was the final evolution of the trailer bird they've been teasing us with since the first trailer.

Number Two: In Unova we had Dark, Fighting, Ghost and Psychic as the Elite Four. Unova is based on America and is set based on / is a very urban area. Seeing as Alola is based on Hawaii, another american state with a much more natural and untamed feel to it, I'd be pretty cool if it's Elite Four conflicted with Unova's by being Grass, Fire, Water and Electric, the four starter elemental types. Just a thought.

But we've just had Olympia and have had Sabrina x2, Will, Tate & Liza, Lucian, Caitlin, (and Olympia, as I said.)
Psychic is up there with Water and Electric as needing to chill out for a generation.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Also if they started putting the psychic gym or the dragon gym in the beginning that'd be awesome. I am tired of those typings always being the last few gyms, they should have the bug gym be the 8th or the grass. Poison gym and dark gym needs to have too. If they include dark it is guaranteed to be one of the last 3 gyms I can imagine.

Jackjaw

As awesome is it would be, I'm really not expecting to see a dark type gym anytime soon- if not ever. Gym Leaders seem to usually take on additional roles within their communities. To me that would then extend out to them likely being role models for other trainers/younger folk. In Japan I think the dark type is known as the evil type, and dark type pokemon have a tendency to know moves that could be considered "playing dirty"- not the best example to set for the younguns, lol.

I'd love to see a formidable dark type E4 member though, at that point in the game they're testing your mettle as a trainer so outside of league rules all bets would be off and it's all about defeating your opponent. Long story short, I think dark types make good E4 teams but not gym leaders.

All in all, I'm anticipating that we'll at least see water, rock, fire, and grass types for the gyms. The other four could be anything- so I'm guessing ground, fighting, fairy, and flying.

As awesome is it would be, I'm really not expecting to see a dark type gym anytime soon- if not ever. Gym Leaders seem to usually take on additional roles within their communities. To me that would then extend out to them likely being role models for other trainers/younger folk. In Japan I think the dark type is known as the evil type, and dark type pokemon have a tendency to know moves that could be considered "playing dirty"- not the best example to set for the younguns, lol.

I'd love to see a formidable dark type E4 member though, at that point in the game they're testing your mettle as a trainer so outside of league rules all bets would be off and it's all about defeating your opponent. Long story short, I think dark types make good E4 teams but not gym leaders.

All in all, I'm anticipating that we'll at least see water, rock, fire, and grass types for the gyms. The other four could be anything- so I'm guessing ground, fighting, fairy, and flying.

Then what about the Elite 4? As probably the most iconic trainers of the region in-universe, shouldn't they be upheld as the paragons of society? Yet 3 of them use Dark-Types :v

Jackjaw

Then what about the Elite 4? As probably the most iconic trainers of the region in-universe, shouldn't they be upheld as the paragons of society? Yet 3 of them use Dark-Types :v

They certainly ought to be!

Yet we have one E4 member that was openly part of Team Flare and no one lifted a finger about it. xD
My guess is that by then the trainers facing them have grown and matured enough to stick to their own morals/philosophies so they can go all out against them. Including playing a little dirty if that strikes their fancy.

They certainly ought to be!

Yet we have one E4 member that was openly part of Team Flare and no one lifted a finger about it. xD
My guess is that by then the trainers facing them have grown and matured enough to stick to their own morals/philosophies so they can go all out against them. Including playing a little dirty if that strikes their fancy.

Malva wasn't openly a Flare Member tho? She only talks about it to the player character, and seems more like a business mogul undergoing dodgy business than a fully invested member.

Jackjaw

Malva wasn't openly a Flare Member tho? She only talks about it to the player character, and seems more like a business mogul undergoing dodgy business than a fully invested member.

Perhaps that's just the vibe I got from her then. With the Holocaster being Lysandre's thing and her being a prominent figure in it- then seeing her as an E4 member- it felt like she was a famous figure that was an integrated member of the team and didn't care if that was public knowledge or not.

Pelippal

Also if they started putting the psychic gym or the dragon gym in the beginning that'd be awesome. I am tired of those typings always being the last few gyms, they should have the bug gym be the 8th or the grass. Poison gym and dark gym needs to have too. If they include dark it is guaranteed to be one of the last 3 gyms I can imagine.

I think they usually save Dragon for later just because it is pretty strong and the pokemon tend to evolve at really high levels. That being said, in XY Grant's gym could have easily been Dragon what with the Bagon, Axew, and Tyrunt obtainable right before his gym, and I definitely would like to see early Dragon/Psychic gyms and the addition of more Poison gyms.

Also, wouldn't it be cool if we had a gym that specialized in a different type between both versions? Perhaps a Dark or Fairy gym in Moon and a Fire or Fighting gym in Sun, or vice versa. I doubt it would happen, but it would be cool nonetheless, especially if it ended up tying in with the game's overall theme or were led by a member of the evil team.

Akashin

Then make a Gym that doesn't leave this impression? If this was a significant concern of their's, Dark wouldn't exist to begin with.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
What if our rival is champion just like Blue was in RBY and FRLG? He/she could have the starter that is stronger than yours, the fossil pokemon you didn't pick, a pseudo-legendary, Flying type, Dragon type and the opposite legendary of the mascot.

xmikeyxlikesitx

Pokémon Coordinator
If they actually had some reason to not have a Dark type trainer, we wouldn't have had ANY, were there a type issue. It's more that it just hasn't happened. Your theory would be more plausible if we didn't blatantly have Karen, Sidney, and Grimsley.

Class Zero

We have arrived.

What do you mean by openly a Flare Member?

"Even we in Team Flare had our sense of pride. You may have disagreed with us, but we were doing what we thought right. I won't let him sully our honor now." - A quote from during one of the Looker quests..

Akashin

What do you mean by openly a Flare Member?

"Even we in Team Flare had our sense of pride. You may have disagreed with us, but we were doing what we thought right. I won't let him sully our honor now." - A quote from during one of the Looker quests..

What does that have to do with whether or not she was publicly known as a member of Team Flare? She was quite open with you specifically, yes, but that's not the same thing.

BL00p

I think it would be cool if there was a dual-type gym leader. There are 18 types of pokemon classifications now and certain types have become under-represented over the years. (I'm looking at you dark types). Anyway, it would be nice if later gyms mixed it up a bit with dual-type teams since players should be more familiar with type advantages and disadvantages by then.

Pelippal

Can we all agree that there will either be a dragon-type gym leader or elite four member in Sun and Moon since there has been one in every generation so far except for Gen IV? If so, I'm predicting a gym leader this time. Perhaps instead of a fire type gym around a volcano like many people want we will instead get a dragon gym in such a location? I know I would enjoy that

Chimchar15

Then make a Gym that doesn't leave this impression? If this was a significant concern of their's, Dark wouldn't exist to begin with.

I agree there would be no point in having the dark type if this was an issue. I hope we can take a break from electric and psychic type gyms this go around but I'm not holding my breath. Considering that Alola is based on Hawaii I feel confident that we'll get a fire gym and I hope it has a cool puzzle maybe involving magma/lava.

My rules are absolutely NO Water or Dragon gym leaders or elite 4, and NO Ghost, Psychic, Dark, or Fighting elite 4.

While I feel the water type is one of the types that need to take a break I highly doubt it will happen in these games considering the region is based on Hawaii.

Last edited:

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
An idea: what if the gym leader uses two types of pokemon instead of one?
Gym 1 can have Grass and Fire types
Gym 2 can have Water and Electric types
Gym 3 can have Normal and Ground types
Gym 4 can have Rock and Steel types
Gym 5 can have Fighting and Poison types
Gym 6 can have Psychic and Ghost types
Gym 7 can have Dark and Dragon types
Gym 8 can have Fairy and Flying types

This is one of the best ideas I've seen yet. Dual-typed gyms would be a great way to introduce some variety to the gym lineup, give more pokemon more time to shine, and add slightly more challenge. Bonus points if the two mastered types matched up with dual-typed pokemon in the region, so their ace was always a dual-type of their combo.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
^

Gamefreak would only do that by making us choose which type we want to challenge giving us the type advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.