• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Rite of the Island Challenge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
I hope the trials make you go exploring the whole island, that'd be a lot of fun IMO.

I agree, they seem to be moving in a direction that encourages us to go explore and actually experience the game to overcome the challenges, rather than spending a measly 5-10 minutes clearing a gym. While I had no particular issue with the gyms, I am excited for the versatility of this new feature.

Phantom champion Z

This is just dumb. Gyms are what the Pokemon games are all about. Challenges sound like standard quests, something every other RPG has. Don't fix what ain't broke, gyms.
FALSE! Pokemon games are all about ....wait for it..... POKEMON! Which is why there are so many Pokemon games where gyms don't even exist.

Janovy

Banned
The amount of people not getting that these are pretty much gyms with additional content is too damn high...

pokefreakceetje

I just realized, Hala, the FIRST Kahuna you face has three Pokémon instead of two like most early gyms had.

Are they finally making the games a little harder? O_O

They asked if that was a good idea (in a NoE survey)

Sabre_King

This is definitely a new direction for the game, but I am appealed by it, I am sure these captains will still be able to be battled and such I mean why else would you explain them being specific types. Still I cannot wait to receive more information about this process and how it affects the game.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Seems a lot like the Orange Islands in the anime.

Traveling to different islands, fighting four trainers that aren't gym leaders exactly, but similar, and who give challenges that aren't related to battling.
Sound familiar?

pokefreakceetje

This is definitely a new direction for the game, but I am appealed by it, I am sure these captains will still be able to be battled and such I mean why else would you explain them being specific types. Still I cannot wait to receive more information about this process and how it affects the game.

NoE said there will be totally different mechanics like I earlier said. Also it might be a tad harder.

Crystal Power

Traveling to different islands, fighting four trainers that aren't gym leaders exactly, but similar, and who give challenges that aren't related to battling.
Sound familiar?

I was just about to say this, like literally. Not to mention the whole "island" concept as well.

LoveMcQueen5683

So i guess its trial captains, then Totem pokemon, then Kahanua. That would still be 8.

Though its not clear if trial captains are battleable. It says speciality under their name though in the trailer so i would assume so

T-Moar

Resident Genwunner

Sound familiar?

This was my first thought, too.

knightwolf09

So i guess its trial captains, then Totem pokemon, then Kahanua. That would still be 8.

Though its not clear if trial captains are battleable. It says speciality under their name though in the trailer so i would assume so

Part of me wants to say when you finish the captains trial you are then given a challenge to take on the totem pokemon as the final stage of their trial, then you can challenge the Kahuna.

KalosChampion

I don't quite understand the chronology of the Trial Captains and the Kahunas. Are the four Trial Captains revealed today just for the first island, or is there one on every island?

knightwolf09

I don't quite understand the chronology of the Trial Captains and the Kahunas. Are the four Trial Captains revealed today just for the first island, or is there one on every island?

Looks like some are on the same island. Sophocles must be from the Melemele. Lana, Kiawe, and Mallow all seem to be from the top east island. So there might be more captains not revealed yet.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Seems like there will be one of each island as the Rite of Island Challenge page mentions that defeating an island's Kahuna grants you access to the next island which likely has its own Trial Captain and Kahuna.

KalosChampion

Seems like there will be one of each island as the Rite of Island Challenge page mentions that defeating an island's Kahuna grants you access to the next island which likely has its own Trial Captain and Kahuna.
Ah, so they'll be one Kahuna and one Trial Captain on each island, correct?

Janovy

Banned
It would appear that there are more than 4 Trial Captains according to the official Japanese site. So possibly 2 Captains/Trials per island?

KalosChampion

Looks like some are on the same island. Sophocles must be from the Melemele. Lana, Kiawe, and Mallow all seem to be from the top east island. So there might be more captains not revealed yet.

Oh? I see. (Sorry, I didn't see this reply at first) Anyway, how did you come to that conclusion?

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty

Seems likely at this point as Hala is confirmed to be the Kahuna of Melemele Island. We will have to wait until more Kahunas are revealed or for more details of where the Trial Captains are located before we can know for sure though.

knightwolf09

Oh? I see. (Sorry, I didn't see this reply at first) Anyway, how did you come to that conclusion?

Well, Sophocles seemed kind of obvious where he's from since Melemele is the yellow island, where Tapu Koko is, and he specializes in elcetric types. For the rest. I recognized some of the areas in the backgrounds of the captains. Lana is over those water pools, Lana is in that foresty area covered in trees, and Kiawe is at the volcano.

Status
Not open for further replies.