• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Rite of the Island Challenge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Way to get offended over a Pokémon post e_e

what made you think I was offended?
I told you why you misunderstood and then I switched it so no one makes the same mistake you did.

what made you think I was offended?
I told you why you misunderstood and then I switched it so no one makes the same mistake you did.

Sorry if I misinterpreted it, it's just the language choice did seem quite serious :s

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Sure this has been said but:

Predicting a version exclusive Island Challenge where the Totem Pokemon is the Midday/Midnight forms of Rockwolf.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Sorry if I misinterpreted it, it's just the language choice did seem quite serious :s

oh makes sense, apparently I need English lessons because it happens a lot on here :p
Apologies also. I'm commenting fast today because it seems everyone is commenting at the speed of lightning and my comment turns inapplicable if I don't rush lol

oh makes sense, apparently I need English lessons because it happens a lot on here :p
Apologies also. I'm commenting fast today because it seems everyone is commenting at the speed of lightning and my comment turns inapplicable if I don't rush lol

Sorry if I came across as blunt btw, it's just that it's been a fast day.

Also, your English is pretty good, better than half the people I've met :D

Leosnake

Sure this has been said but:

Predicting a version exclusive Island Challenge where the Totem Pokemon is the Midday/Midnight forms of Rockwolf.

This which brings up my next question. Assuming that all the totem Pokemon will be different depending on the version. What do you think Lurantis' and Wishiwashi school from's counter parts will be? Since Lurantis has been confirmed to be one and Wishiwashi basically was in one of the Japanese trailers I think.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
This which brings up my next question. Assuming that all the totem Pokemon will be different depending on the version. What do you think Lurantis' and Wishiwashi school from's counter parts will be? Since Lurantis has been confirmed to be one and Wishiwashi basically was in one of the Japanese trailers I think.

It looks like one version could have alolan forms, while the other has new pokes.

But we don't have any good counterparts for Wishiwashi and Lurantis yet.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

They probably won't be. They purposefully held off on announcing which Trial Gumshoos served as the Totem Mon of until Alolan Raticate was also announced, while Lurantis was revealed as a Trial Mon immediately, so it is likely the only Totem Mon of Lush Jungle.

Oh, and Wishiwashi probably isn't a Totem Mon. Lana's Trial involves tracking down and calming a monster, which is Wishiwashi. So, unless the Totem Battle can serve as the entire Trial, Wishiwashi isn't looking like it will be a Totem Mon.

Leosnake

It looks like one version could have alolan forms, while the other has new pokes.

But we don't have any good counterparts for Wishiwashi and Lurantis yet.

Seems that way though personally I hope they mix it up a bit. So both versions get two Alolan forms as their totem Pokemon and two new ones.

Have any of the Oddish or Bellsprout lines been seen yet? I can't remember and if not maybe one of those will get an Alolan form. As for Wishiwashi I have got nothing.

Edit:
They probably won't be. They purposefully held off on announcing which Trial Gumshoos served as the Totem Mon of until Alolan Raticate was also announced, while Lurantis was revealed as a Trial Mon immediately, so it is likely the only Totem Mon of Lush Jungle.

Oh, and Wishiwashi probably isn't a Totem Mon. Lana's Trial involves tracking down and calming a monster, which is Wishiwashi. So, unless the Totem Battle can serve as the entire Trial, Wishiwashi isn't looking like it will be a Totem Mon.

Oh I see. That explains a lot thank you. Still a part of me thinks they might still have two of two. Which is to say two the same for both versions and two different.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Agreed, wholeheartedly. I still think Rockwolf (which is what I'll call Rockruff's evolution until I know better) stands a good chance of being like Gumshoos/Alolan Raticate. It would be interesting if you battled Midnight in Sun and Midday in Moon though...
This I disagree on, we don't really know enough about the challenge yet to make that assumption. Yes we're calming a monster, but what if the challenge proper is a sort of mini dungeon on the way to the totem Pokemon which, based on that trailer, looks like Wishiwashi to me. It has a special intro animation the same as Gumshoos & Raticate got for their challenge.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

Honestly, I think only a few of them will have counterparts.

I very much doubt Wishiwashi will be version exclusive, considering its significance. I don't think Lurantis will be any different, either. However, I do think we can expect at least a few version exclusives among the Totem battles.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Oh I see. That explains a lot thank you. Still a part of me thinks they might still have two of two. Which is to say two the same for both versions and two different.

We're not just going to have four Totem Mons. There is one Totem Mon for each Trial, and there are multiple Trials per island. Ergo, a ton of Totem Mons! :)

This I disagree on, we don't really know enough about the challenge yet to make that assumption. Yes we're calming a monster, but what if the challenge proper is a sort of mini dungeon on the way to the totem Pokemon which, based on that trailer, looks like Wishiwashi to me. It has a special intro animation the same as Gumshoos & Raticate got for their challenge.

Except that she says that calming it is your Trial, not getting to it. Also, the area where the Trial takes place is several open, outdoor pools. I don't see those being too difficult to navigate :p As for the animation, it is similar, but we don't know which Pokemon will get those types of animations. It could be restricted to Totem Mons, Legendary Mons, and those mysterious UB's, or it could also be seen on other unrelated special encounters.

Honestly, it's tough to say at this point, but I'm leaning towards Wishiwashi not being a Totem Mon (though I do think it will be one of the non-Totem Mons capable of initiating a S.O.S. Battle).

Julia Artemis

Wishiwashi makes sense to be a totem pokemon, however we don't know if they'll instead involve Wimpod and it's evo or Pykummuku and it's evo or perhaps some water Alolan form Pokemon yet to be revealed.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
Here are my rough predictions for the Totem Pokémon so far:
Normal Type Trial- Gumshoos(Sun) & Alola Raticate(Moon)- Cnfrmd
Grass Type Trial- Alola Venusaur?/Alola Vileplume(Sun) & Lurantis(Moon)- I could totally see Alolan Vileplume as a thing, and perhaps even one of the totems, Venusaur is less likely, yet it would be really cool Imo
Water Type Trial- Wishiwashi(Sun) & Alola Tentacruel(Moon)- I could see Tentacruel's Alola Form(if it gets one), being a sea monster similar to Wishiwashi in the way it was portrayed in that cutscene.
Fire Type Trial- Alola Golem(Sun) & Turtonator(Moon)- I could totally see Golem becoming part fire if it receives an Alola Form, and could totally see it being the totem of a trial on a Volcano, as for the Moon totem, I could really see Turtonator fitting as a fearsome Totem Pokémon.
Electric Type Trial- Vikivolt(Sun) & Alola Raichu(Moon)- Vikivolt really stood out to me as a potential candidate for this trial, due to it being able to summon Charjabug, and the fact that Charjabug's ability is almost made for a battle like this. As for Alola Raichu, I was trying to think of another Alola form that was electric type and fit the area of the trial, and I think so far Raichu is a good enough fit.

Anyone else expecting a little wiggle room in terms of how you challenge the Akala Island trials? Seeing as it'd be unfair if we had to play Mallow's, Lana's and Kiawe's trials in a set order due to one starter getting a Z-Move First, I can see them making it so you either choose, or the order you do the trials is changed depending on your starter. Although if Sophocles is on Akala, I can see him being a constant first or last.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Anyone else expecting a little wiggle room in terms of how you challenge the Akala Island trials? Seeing as it'd be unfair if we had to play Mallow's, Lana's and Kiawe's trials in a set order due to one starter getting a Z-Move First, I can see them making it so you either choose, or the order you do the trials is changed depending on your starter. Although if Sophocles is on Akala, I can see him being a constant first or last.

If the exploration ends up linear, then I guess we have no choice but to challenge them in a set order.
Though I am hoping that we are given freedom when exploring the islands.

Sabre_King

If the exploration ends up linear, then I guess we have no choice but to challenge them in a set order.
Though I am hoping that we are given freedom when exploring the islands.

I hope their is more freedom because its not like its a gym so its possible to choose the order. I believe we should be able to freely pick across the island, but cannot move onto the next island until the captains and kahuna is beaten for each island.

Leosnake

Honestly, I think only a few of them will have counterparts.
I very much doubt Wishiwashi will be version exclusive, considering its significance. I don't think Lurantis will be any different, either. However, I do think we can expect at least a few version exclusives among the Totem battles.

Yea it would be a bit of a missed opportunity if those two were the only exclusive counterparts since they have decided to go down this route. Especially since they could use it to sow case some more Pokemon that only appear during the day or night. Assuming that will be a thing again.

We're not just going to have four Totem Mons. There is one Totem Mon for each Trial, and there are multiple Trials per island. Ergo, a ton of Totem Mons! :)

Really? I thought the way it would work is we go to an island. The trial captain will give us a number of small puzzles or trials that will make up the over all trial. Then we face the Totem Pokemon of that island. Followed finally by the Kahuna of that island. The only reason I figured there would just be one per island is because there are four main islands and only four trial captains have been revealed.

I hope their is more freedom because its not like its a gym so its possible to choose the order. I believe we should be able to freely pick across the island, but cannot move onto the next island until the captains and kahuna is beaten for each island.

This, the travelling over the sea by boat and the nature of how the trials seem to work would make these games perfect for a bit more open exploration. But then again it will also depend how the story will go I guess.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I was thinking the same thing. Akala as an island doesn't really look linear anyways, so free roam there makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.