• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Rite of the Island Challenge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_N

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of only seven trials. I was definitely expecting more than that. Moreover, the distribution of seven trials over four islands shapes up to be a bit odd, no matter how its done.

The only way I can see it shaking out would be something like
1 on Melmele (Illima)
3 on Akala (Lana, Mallow, the volcano guy)
1 on canyon since that doesnt' seem to have a lot of settlements
2 on the other island?

I guess canyon will be important for legendary stuff and the big island will have team skull's climax (...probably) and maybe the island champion but what a bizarre structure

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
The only way I can see it shaking out would be something like
1 on Melmele (Illima)
3 on Akala (Lana, Mallow, the volcano guy)
1 on canyon since that doesnt' seem to have a lot of settlements
2 on the other island?

I guess canyon will be important for legendary stuff and the big island will have team skull's climax (...probably) and maybe the island champion but what a bizarre structure
But Sophocles, tho?

Anyways, I'm a bit iffy on the "seven trials" thing. If this were the case then we'd have four captains on one island (going by the first four that were revealed), meaning all the other islands would have to have only one as a result. Even if Sophocles is on a different island that still doesn't make the numbers much better.

R_N

But Sophocles, tho?

Anyways, I'm a bit iffy on the "seven trials" thing. If this were the case then we'd have four captains on one island (going by the first four that were revealed), meaning all the other islands would have to have only one as a result. Even if Sophocles is on a different island that still doesn't make the numbers much better.

I think Sophocles is late game, probably on the ice island*. I had first thought he'd be on Melemele or Akala to go with getting access the festival, but it sounds like you have access to that before doing any trial. I figure, like with the PC owners, you meet him later on. They probably revealed him early since he's relevant to the Festival system and you meet him for the first time there (also, the anime, like clemont)

clbgolden12

I think Sophocles is late game, probably on the ice island*. I had first thought he'd be on Melemele or Akala to go with getting access the festival, but it sounds like you have access to that before doing any trial. I figure, like with the PC owners, you meet him later on. They probably revealed him early since he's relevant to the Festival system and you meet him for the first time there (also, the anime, like clemont)
Sophocles has been grouped together with the rest of the Akala bunch quite a bit, I doubt that's because of the anime.

npdargy312

Master Coordinator

scififan21

7 is weird for a number one would think at least eight trial captains to make the same as the number of gyms in previous games. So if that is confirmed then we won't have a Captan for almost every type like some of us hoped. Then again the games seem like they will be pretty lengthy at least.

R_N

Sophocles has been grouped together with the rest of the Akala bunch quite a bit, I doubt that's because of the anime.

Soph's only grouped with the others in footage that shows off the trial system because he's one of the only 4 they've shown off.

clbgolden12

Soph's only grouped with the others in footage that shows off the trial system because he's one of the only 4 they've shown off.
And during that UK trailer where it shows him doing the Electric dance after it shows the others use it.

R_N

And during that UK trailer where it shows him doing the Electric dance after it shows the others use it.

Yes, that would be footage of the trial system with the trial leaders doing the pose that they all presumably do after fulfilling their trials

glacialcat

Speculation:
7 Trials, assuming it is true, suggests there may be something special to the number 7. The first thing that comes to my mind is a rainbow. Each Trial Captain has also been seen with a four-leaf flower symbol colored in with one color representing their element.

Red - Kiawe - Fire
Orange - Ilima - Normal?
Yellow - Sophocles - Electric
Green - Mallow - Grass
Blue - Lana - Water
Indigo - ??? - Ghost? Poison?
Violet - ??? - Ghost? Dragon?

Orange is a bit of a stretch for Normal I'll admit, it has traditionally been an off-white. But orange/brown is one of the most colors Normal-types actually are. Probably wrong, but figured I'd put it out there.

EDIT: I was going off memory, and assumed Sophocles's symbol was yellow. It is actually orange. And unless Normal is yellow (which makes even less sense to me) my theory might be defeated before it even got off the ground. Oh well.

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
So, Ilima is pretty...androgenous. There's nothing wrong with that, and I think it's a her, but this might lead to some confusion.

And as for the seven Trials thing, I'm not too sure. We know that Akala has at least 3 Trials, so that leaves, at most, 4 that will be split among the other 3 islands, which is oddly disproportional.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Isn't it a typo and they meant several, not seven?

The Ninendo Insider article was corrected and now says "several", but the Digital Spy article still says "Seven Trials", with both words capitalized, which makes that seem like an important title. Still, as I said earlier, that would mean we'd get only 1 Trial on 2 or 3 of the Islands, and I don't think that will happen.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Seven trials per island would be AMAZING. It may sound like a lot, but it's better to have twenty-eight trials total than seven total, which seems to be the alternative?

It would depend on how it's handled, but right now I'd much prefer 7 per island than 7 total.

shadowF

if there are only seven trials in the whole game then I wonder how the trials will be distributed between the islands.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
The trial captains are all very young so far. I wonder if we will get any older ones at all.

Kiawe looks old enough compared to most of them.

Seven trials per island would be AMAZING. It may sound like a lot, but it's better to have twenty-eight trials total than seven total, which seems to be the alternative?

It would depend on how it's handled, but right now I'd much prefer 7 per island than 7 total.

Or maybe 7 each on three islands. The fourth island, the leftmost one, looks too feature-less to be filled with many Trials.

R_N

Kiawe looks old enough compared to most of them.

Or maybe 7 each on three islands. The fourth island, the leftmost one, looks too feature-less to be filled with many Trials.

It has about as many features as Melemele does and considering the Verdant Forest is so far into the island for being 1 trial, i have to assume it's 7 trials total.

Status
Not open for further replies.