• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Rite of the Island Challenge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimchar15

So I've been thinking about how the 7 trials will be spread out and where they may be located. I'm speculating that we'll get 1 trial on Melemele, 3 on Akala, 2 on Ula Ula, and 1 on Poni. Ilima will of course have the trial on Melemele, Lana, Mallow, and Kiawe's trials will be on Akala. Now I know a lot of people suspect that Sophocles' trial will also be on Akala but with only 7 trials I just don't see them putting 4 trials on Akala with only 1 on Ula Ula considering how big Ula Ula is. I definitely see Sophocles and the captain that was shown in the demo trailer being on Ula Ula with the final trial taking place on Poni. As far as where each trial will take place on each island we already know Ilima's takes place in the Verdant Cavern and Mallow's is in the Lush Jungle. Lana's seems to be taking place on the Northwest part of Akala, with Kiawe's being on the volcano. Now for Ula Ula I see us meeting Sophocles inside a facility like in the trailer we saw awhile back but the actual trial will be in the foggy area on the left side of the island. Now for the demo trailer captain I'm thinking her trial could possibly take place in the desert area with Palossand being the totem Pokemon. As far as the last trial goes I have no idea what it might involve or what type it will be but I do think it could take place where those black craters are located.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Who else had a VERY hard time with Totem Lurantis? D:

Wingulltrainer

I had a harder time with salazzle,even with my ash-greninja. I'm currently looking for the ingredients for mallows stew, but i'm not sure i'm doing it right.

R_N

over half my team resisted grass attacks (and neutral to bug attacks) so it never really spammed solar blade. Additionally, its first SOS call for me was Trumbeak. Annoying, but much more managable than the possibly terror of sunny day castform.
Still had a few die since I'm also frai & the trumbeak knew Pluckl, but Grimer really shined. Poison Fang even proc'd Toxic meaning Lurantis started spamming Synthesis as the poison damage rolled up.

Salazzle & Wishiwashi were much harder for me to take down since my team composition couldn't handle them quite as well (even with mudbray, Salazzle outsped and could easily kill if it focused on attacking; i was lucky to get a bulldoze in). Wishiwashi in particular summoned an Alomomola at one point and that was awful. Heal Pulse and Helping Hand alongside rain boosted chip damage and being bulky itself. Soak passively weakening my grass attacks didnt help. Had to use z-splash to help make a dent and then used crabrawler as a sacrifice to spam leer a few times.

I am very pleased with the totem battles and it's going to be a shame when these inevitably remain an alola-only affair.

goodpeople25

My experience was kinda similar (almost eerily similar in some spots) , proc'ed toxic as well from grimer and got trumbeak instead of castform for Luratins so wasn't really a problem, the other two were also similar and more of an issue.

Totem Mimikyu was a slog, It summoned a Haunter who was a Pain in the butt with it spaming an almost unmissable hypnosis (and only had 2 awakening) so I ended up stalling with mudsdale's stamina (was lucky with not getting crtited too soon) and getting a few rock tombs in so my quite slow team could out speed the totem, (couldn't damage it cause It was also taking all the play roughs so it's Atk stat was in the floor) It also unfortunately mimicked high horsepower, so grimer was out despite resisting eveything else once I got play rough out but I managed to get sneak enough hits in.

Vikavolt I don't remember much of so I think it was pretty easy for me.

Wingulltrainer

over half my team resisted grass attacks (and neutral to bug attacks) so it never really spammed solar blade. Additionally, its first SOS call for me was Trumbeak. Annoying, but much more managable than the possibly terror of sunny day castform.
Still had a few die since I'm also frai & the trumbeak knew Pluckl, but Grimer really shined. Poison Fang even proc'd Toxic meaning Lurantis started spamming Synthesis as the poison damage rolled up.

Salazzle & Wishiwashi were much harder for me to take down since my team composition couldn't handle them quite as well (even with mudbray, Salazzle outsped and could easily kill if it focused on attacking; i was lucky to get a bulldoze in). Wishiwashi in particular summoned an Alomomola at one point and that was awful. Heal Pulse and Helping Hand alongside rain boosted chip damage and being bulky itself. Soak passively weakening my grass attacks didnt help. Had to use z-splash to help make a dent and then used crabrawler as a sacrifice to spam leer a few times.

I am very pleased with the totem battles and it's going to be a shame when these inevitably remain an alola-only affair.

I will say this; fighting totem wishiwashi was a pain, but surprisingly, my little charjabug got me through like a champ.

Genos

TTYD
The Trial of Kiawe got me a couple of chuckle.

I didn't. My lvl 29 Torracat obliterated it with it's Z move.

Wingulltrainer

So i made it past totem vikavolt; i will say that more often than not, the pokemon i end up beating the totems with is not the same one i start out with.

cl94

After fighting all of the totems, Salazzle may have been the biggest PITA. I got Castform for Lurantis, but Sunny Day also powered up my fire-type attacks. Vikavolt was pretty easy with a fire type and the ghosts were easy with Incineroar.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Totem Lurantis by itself is no real problem, its ability to call in Trumbeak is the infuriating part. Especially when you don't have an answer to flying along side grass.

Totem Mimikyu however is a monster alone.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Wisiwashi was the only totem I had problems with. Had to restart several times until I finally beat it.
You basically HAVE to ignore his ally Wishiwashi. Cause if he summons Alolomola, yeah.... you're going to have a hard time. Charjabug was the same level as him but only took like 2/10 of his health at a time. He was tanky, and he one shot Charjabug several times making me spam revives

BlitzGirl41

Wisiwashi was the only totem I had problems with. Had to restart several times until I finally beat it.
You basically HAVE to ignore his ally Wishiwashi. Cause if he summons Alolomola, yeah.... you're going to have a hard time. Charjabug was the same level as him but only took like 2/10 of his health at a time. He was tanky, and he one shot Charjabug several times making me spam revives

Out of curiosity, what level was your Charjabug? It was a lengthier battle than the Totem Raticate, but I was able to get a few good hits in with Charjabug before I had to switch out to Dartrix (did so before he fainted). My Pokemon were level 21-22.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Out of curiosity, what level was your Charjabug? It was a lengthier battle than the Totem Raticate, but I was able to get a few good hits in with Charjabug before I had to switch out to Dartrix (did so before he fainted). My Pokemon were level 21-22.

In the 20s. He wasn't that much lower than Torracat.
What really stung was there doesn't seem to be any where you can actually train Pokemon outside of wild Pokemon, and those aren't that generous. And I didn't meet any Pokemon with a type advantage aside from Charjabug at that point so he was the only thing I had to win with.

cl94

I learned after Wishiwashi that you have to take out the totem first so it stops calling reinforcements. That's a huge thing to remember.

ebevan91

I've gotten waxed by it twice so far. My fire Pokemon just doesn't hold up well yet since it hasn't evolved and my bug Pokemon gets destroyed by Sunny Day Weather Ball or Trumbeak.

Salandit's 140BP fire-type Z-move only does around 50% damage to Lurantis. Then the thing uses Synthesis, undoing that.

cl94

Synthesis only works 5 times, so you just have to have enough potions to last 5 extra turns. If you're using a fire type, it should hold up fine until Synthesis runs out. I never went into totem battles without a bunch of potions and revives ready.

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
Okay so I am currently on Ula'ula Island trying to figure out Po Town, how do I get past the grunt on the second floor? I have all the passwords right and he won't let me by.

diakyu

I 1 hit KOed both Totem Salazzle and Lurantis. This is what I get for being thorough. I've liked Mallow's the most so far but they've been very memorable so far. Much better than Gyms imo and will have a much bigger lasting impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.