• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Rivalry Revival! (118)

Great to see Gary defeating Ash, Gary deserved to win, and he won. However, I missed Gary's limousine and his cheerleading girls. Gary isn't the same without them. Good closure of Orange Islands and Gen I, good start of Jotho and Gen II. 10/10.

Antiyonder

Overlord
Incidentally, I wonder if the writers gave Gary an Eevee at random or if they were giving a nod to Pokemon Yellow. Heck, until the Johto League, I gave into thinking that he started with an Eevee.

Then again, they might have planned for him to have an Umbreon.

Jnmisty

Personally, I rather wanted Ash battle Gary using Chirazard instead of Pikachu. That way he would have pulled a big surprise on Gary.

Blessed

The battle between Pikachu and Eevee was very exciting. I loved how Brock rejoined Ash & Misty and are now going to the Johto region. I LOVE the original trio!

Last edited:

Calamity™

aka Lamia
It's Dewgong!
I like that Gary won, and that he's actually being a lot more mature than Ash. Loved Team Rocket's disguise when they randomly intrude on the dinner and start eating everything. And this was one of the more funnier methods of capturing Pikachu! I still want to know what exactly Ivy did to Brock... I'll quite miss Tracey, but I guess Brock was still better than him!

Aquarelle

Staff member
When I saw this episode as a little kid, I was probably mad that Gary won the battle against Ash, since I disliked Gary back then. Now though, I don't mind the fact that Ash lost at all. Brock still being depressed over Prof. Ivy was funny to me. I was also glad that Brock decided to travel with Ash and Misty again, I was missing him throughout the Orange Islands.

The battle between Pikachu and Eevee was very exciting. I loved how Brock came back to join Ash & Misty!! I LOVE the original trio.

I agree with every word you said in this thread.

It's Dewgong!
I like that Gary won, and that he's actually being a lot more mature than Ash. Loved Team Rocket's disguise when they randomly intrude on the dinner and start eating everything. And this was one of the more funnier methods of capturing Pikachu! I still want to know what exactly Ivy did to Brock... I'll quite miss Tracey, but I guess Brock was still better than him!

I am also glad Gary won, Ash needed to be put back on earth, Ash shouldn't always win. And I also loved Team Rocket here. And here is my interpretation of what happened between Professor Ivy and Brock:
- Ivy forced Brock to do a lot of chores.
- When Brock expected a kiss for all the hard work (no sex, that's too "mature" for Pokemon), Ivy dumped him. Ivy never was in love with Brock, she just wanted him to do chores.
- Brock got traumatized.

When I saw this episode as a little kid, I was probably mad that Gary won the battle against Ash, since I disliked Gary back then. Now though, I don't mind the fact that Ash lost at all. Brock still being depressed over Prof. Ivy was funny to me. I was also glad that Brock decided to travel with Ash and Misty again, I was missing him throughout the Orange Islands.

I also missed Brock.

7threst

Ah, the last episode before Johto and the official introduction of the 2nd generation. This episode started off strong with the battle between Gary and Ash and I was pleased with the results of the match. Clearly, you can see Gary made a 180 degree turnaround and is much better than he used to be. Also, just as the title said, this is a perfect name for reviving the old rivalry between them too - but just on a more mature way.

After that, they introduced the Johto League and also a continuation of the GS-ball and Brock returning too!

Yes, great ending too this second season!

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
I liked the episode, but you'd expect Pikachu to beat Eevee after taking down a Dragonite, but it didn't even put up much of a fight. I also miss Tracey, glad he achieved his goal, though! I think he's the only character in the anime to do so.

Lucille

I actually liked Eevee beating Pikachu it knocked him and Ash off their high horses from winning the Orange League

I love how Pikachu beat a Dragonite that knows 10 moves yet it can't win against an Eevee.

Only Gary Mother****in Oak can raise such Pokemon.

Eevee vs Pikachu was great. I wish Pikachu would have at least done some damage to Eevee. But I guess when Ash brags, he'll surely lose the match. Now, onto Johto. Arceus protect me from these fillers

ArmadaUGS

Incidentally, I wonder if the writers gave Gary an Eevee at random or if they were giving a nod to Pokemon Yellow. Heck, until the Johto League, I gave into thinking that he started with an Eevee.

But in the third episode you can see the Samurai talking about how he lost against all 3 trainers from Pallet town (and see a picture from each one of the battles). The fact that Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charmander was also picked by someone "that showed up in time" according to Professor Oak. So yeah it was a good thing Squirtle was the first Pokemon. Eevee was probably either there so he could have a Umbreon or like you said maybe giving a nod to Pokemon Yellow.

Overall this was a episode I liked. Brock being back and I also think it was good that Ash learned a lesson by losing to Gary. I always saw Gary as the better trainer but Ash as the better person. Fun thing they actually had a battle cause I remember a episode before Indigo league when they would have had a battle but never had, that made my dissapointed as a kid :p

*~Silver*~

Yeah. They never really told you what he started with until then. I honestly thought he'd have started with Charmander. It just seemed more him, I guess.

They might have planned for Umbreon right away, but I'm not sure. They might have just wanted some sort of new Eevee evolution to be expressed through it, but I guess Umbreon could have been a done-deal even thought it hadn't appeared in the show yet. *Shrugs*

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I must admit my favorite part of this episode was the battle between ash and gary and the best part about that battle was that gary won proving that he is and always will be the better trainer.
on the downside tracy left he could have become a decent character if the fanbase wasnt made up of bunch of whiners(no offense).

*~Silver*~

I must admit my favorite part of this episode was the battle between ash and gary and the best part about that battle was that gary won proving that he is and always will be the better trainer.
on the downside tracy left he could have become a decent character if the fanbase wasnt made up of bunch of whiners(no offense).

I agree... I always felt like Tracy could have been a good character, but his fan-base was... Yeah... xD
When Ash walked in his house and Brock was there... I was so glad to have him back. xD Tracy was good, but Brock was funnier, he was more into what he was doing. All Tracy really did to prove he was a Pokemon Watcher was draw stuff when the chance to came. Brock was obsessed with his work as a Breeder. xD

NPT

Just a member
Meh, this episode was boring. There was a battle between Ash and Gary stu in the beginning, but the outcome of the battle was disappointing! Ash's Pikachu can beat a Dragonite, but lose to a Eevee ? That dosen't make any sense. I hate it when the writers overglorify Gary to make Ash look bad, this wasn't a good way to Nice reviving their rivalry in my opinion. Misty was really annoying throughout the episode, I didn't like how she was rubbing Ash's defeat in his face the whole time. She was supposed to cheering him up, not making him feel even worse. -_-

Professor Oak tried to gather information about the GS Ball that Ash brought from Prof. Ivy, but he couldn't find out anything about the mysterious Pokéball. When Ash and co. asked Professor Oak about the GS ball, he didn't gave a positive reponse, which lead Misty to say "If he can’t solve the mystery, then it's no wonder why Professor Ivy couldn’t solve the mystery”. Of course, Misty mentioning of Professor Ivy’s name totally crushed Brock. Geez, I wonder what happened in the Orange Islands that made Brock act like that? Maybe Prof. Ivy rejected Brock's love proposal.... or maybe it's something worse? Oh well, I guess this will be a mystery forever. Seeing Ash wating to compete in the Johto League is was cool, Brock and Misty tagging alone was great too. It's good to see the OS group thinking about traveling together again. While Ash was excited to compete in the Johto league, Professor Oak told him to take the GS ball to Kurt in Azela Town.... because he thinks maybe Kurt could do something about the mysterious Pokéball. Well, it's too bad that the GS ball is another mystery will remain a mystery forever. :(

It was nice of Delia to packing up some things for Ash's next journey. The talk between Ash and Delia was nice too... but sadly Brock interrupted them, shoving Ash aside and grasping Mrs. Ketchum's hands to flirt with her. Ehhh, it was so weird to see Brock grabing Delia's hands and acting like that in front of her. He was so over-eager to impress help Delia that he ran to the shop WITHOUT the shopping list and he even said that after tomorrow she'll be all his!?! Geez, that's just ridiculous. Even Ash admited that it was pretty scary.

Team Rocket were annoying as usual, but at least Tracy got some screentime before Ash and co. heading to Johto. He's one of the few Pokémon characters who actually managed to fulfil his dream, although his dream wasn't as big as Ash's dream to begin with.

Last edited:
When Jessie spelled live (L-I-V-E live), it was hilarious when our observant friend reacted! IMO it was one of the funniest events in the Animé!

Oh yeah, that part was hilarious! :)

Glad to see the original gang going out and exploring the Johto region together!