• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The role of Kanto in Heart Gold/Soul Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSilver

Technically, there were five: Magnemite, Magenton, Skarmory, Scizor, and Steelix. However, the last two weren't accessible until you reached the S.S. Anne. :( *remembers having to wait for Scizor*

According to a scan we got, Johto's Regional Dex is the same as in GSC. We know because the numbering for Mareep is the same. If Togekiss was added after Togetic, then Mareep's number would be one higher than what was shown (I think it was, like, 51 or something). Unless 3rd- and 4th- Gen Pokemon are added to the end of the Johto Dex, we aren't seeing them until the National Dex.

I don't think that they're going to add to the regional Dex. They Didn't in LG/FR, and I like to look at those as examples of remakes, because I think HG/SS will be a lot alike them.

warnerbroman

the Blue trainer
Birth Island and Navel Rock?

I think the role of Kanto won't change much, just an extra storyline.
I hope to see some of the Sinnoh Characters in the game, such as Cynthia, somehow I think they would expand her role, even if the Shinto Ruins is just a cameo for her.

Zatch 89

I love that house! It's easy free experience! However, I think it would be cool if the default trainer for that house was Marina, and then when you had friends on your Pal Pad you could battle them in the house. ;189;

FINALLY!!! Somebody remembered that place. High Five* ^_^

I love that house! It's easy free experience! However, I think it would be cool if the default trainer for that house was Marina, and then when you had friends on your Pal Pad you could battle them in the house. ;189;

That could actually happen, and it would be a great feature, so you'd have AI battle as your opponent for you? That would be cool.

Viridian's Trainer House was one of the coolest ideas they had. I remember when I got there the first time after Mystery Gifting, haha. I liked to know that they did the same thing to RSE's Secret Bases (even though I never used it =/), and I'd love if it returned (as DPPt didn't have it). Considering the PokéWalker works with infrared, which leads us to conclude HGSS have an in-built infrared, we can say these games will have the old Mystery Gift back (along with the new one, obviously).

Rex Kamex

I hope that there's much more to do in Kanto this time around. I'd actually hope for an unexpected return of Giovanni with some information and revelation about that certain "child with red hair" that happens to be his soon.

I hope that Red and Leaf, the girl Trainer (although can't she be called "Fire" in FireRed?) appears as well.

I mean, I know the Johto games are supposed to take place after you accmoplished the stuff in the Kanto games, but still, there should be something more to do.

I don't get it. Why the hell should we waste space with Kanto anyway? We don't need it.

You could've said the same thing with the original Gold and Silver as well.

I hope that there's much more to do in Kanto this time around. I'd actually hope for an unexpected return of Giovanni with some information and revelation about that certain "child with red hair" that happens to be his soon.

I hope that Red and Leaf, the girl Trainer (although can't she be called "Fire" in FireRed?) appears as well.

I mean, I know the Johto games are supposed to take place after you accmoplished the stuff in the Kanto games, but still, there should be something more to do.

You could've said the same thing with the original Gold and Silver as well.
Going off name basing for characters, the female usually gets the name of the second game. XD

I, too, would like her to appear in the games. She didn't get much attention in FRLG.

TR_Jessie

Adventure Seeker
Maybe in Kanto, you will get to have Red and Blue as your rivals.
Or, you get to team up with them at some point..... or...

Remember in the show how they added the battle frontier to Kanto when Ash went back? What if they do that?
You know, just take out some boring stuff and make it the place to battle.

Last edited:

superdonut

GaGa Ooh Lala
Doesn't, after you beat him for the last time in Victory Road, your rival kinda turn good? Instead of being mean and conflicted like he is throughout Johto? Well if he did, I think it'd be cool if he helped you fight against Team Rocket in Kanto. Maybe do some side-quests that involve the two of you fighting against Rockets or something.

Maybe in Kanto, you will get to have Red and Blue as your rivals.
Or, you get to team up with them at some point..... or...

I should stop saying these things before I say something that might start a flamming war.
Considering Green(previously Blue) is the 16th gym leader, and since Red is the final battle - no.

SuperSilver

Considering Green(previously Blue) is the 16th gym leader, and since Red is the final battle - no.

Red needs to stay as the Final Battle. And, unless Giovanni magically reappeared, Blue needs to be the leader. And I think it's nice that you don't see or hear anything about them untill the very end of the game, becuase they're just that awesome.

Pokealchoholic

Pokemon Expert
I'm pretty sure Kanto will be bigger and not as tiny as it was. I bet they will add a few place that you can visit and reopen a few places. Another thing, i think Kanto will play out like the Sevii Islands where you can catch National Pokemon. I'm sure some will be available in Johto after beating the E4, but most will be in Kanto. also i bet that thing that they were building in vermilion will be built and it could be anything a GTS(because it won't be accesible early in the game), or maybe a contest hall, anything hopefully it will be cool. Most of the should remain the same except they will most likely be enlarged or modified.

SuperSilver

I'm pretty sure Kanto will be bigger and not as tiny as it was. I bet they will add a few place that you can visit and reopen a few places. Another thing, i think Kanto will play out like the Sevii Islands where you can catch National Pokemon. I'm sure some will be available in Johto after beating the E4, but most will be in Kanto. also i bet that thing that they were building in vermilion will be built and it could be anything a GTS(because it won't be accesible early in the game), or maybe a contest hall, anything hopefully it will be cool. Most of the should remain the same except they will most likely be enlarged or modified.

We covered most all of those, but why wouldn't the GTS be accesible early? You only needed one badge for it in D/P/Pt. And it's been practically confirmed that it will be in Goldenrod.

maxelle

Shadow Stalker
Technically, there were five: Magnemite, Magenton, Skarmory, Scizor, and Steelix. However, the last two weren't accessible until you reached the S.S. Anne. :( *remembers having to wait for Scizor*

According to a scan we got, Johto's Regional Dex is the same as in GSC. We know because the numbering for Mareep is the same. If Togekiss was added after Togetic, then Mareep's number would be one higher than what was shown (I think it was, like, 51 or something). Unless 3rd- and 4th- Gen Pokemon are added to the end of the Johto Dex, we aren't seeing them until the National Dex.

Actually 6. You left out poor Forretress. He is sad now. :(

Last edited:

Blazing Charmander

As everyone else does, I also think that Kanto should face a huge revamp from its GSC counterpart. For me, it was a really compressed region (understandably so because of space constraints on the game cart) but don't see why it couldn't be infinitely improved in HGSS. I believe that Game Freak will have felt obliged to go all out with improving both Johto and Kanto anyway, so we should have a more fleshed out Kanto to look forward to.

As it is technically part of Kanto, i'll firstly comment on Routes 26/27/Tohjo Falls. In my opinion, this area is absolutely fine. The Routes are a reasonable size and there are plenty of trainers to battle as a challenge prior to Victory Road. I do reckon however that Tohjo Falls should be extended just a little and, as is the case with the whole game, the levels of Wild and Trainer's Pokemon on these routes should be increased. As for Victory Road, well this should definitely be brought back to its RBY/FRLG standards. It was a shell of its former self in GSC, with no trainers to battle except your rival at the very end.

Mainstream Kanto: For all of the freedom that GSC gave you in travelling the region (battling Gym Leaders almost in any order you wish), I for one hope that there's some structure this time round. The originals literally had you battle one Gym a minute after each other with the Power Plant sidequest in between, and then you were on your way to Mt. Silver.

I definitely approve of what (I think) Wulava mentioned about the possibility of still porting at Vermilion Harbour on the SS Aqua, with Professor Oak meeting you this time in order to take you to Pallet Town. The screen would go blank after some dialogue, and voila, you're in Pallet Town (maybe he had his Pokemon fly you there or something). It is here that Oak informs you that, much like in Johto, there are eight Gyms across Kanto for you to challenge. He could then make reference about how the great Red conquered these Gyms and worked his way up to Champion status through defeating the Elite 4, just like Gold/Soul. After feeling like he's digressed from the subject of the Gyms, he mentions the reward for getting the badges - access to an area where only Champions (and maybe ex-Champions) are authorised to enter.

What i'm trying to get at here is that the underlying story for Kanto in HGSS would be to get all 8 badges, which would grant you the access to Mt. Silver, where you would finally meet Red. Rather than just arriving in Kanto, getting all 8 badges and being allowed to go to Mt. Silver like in the originals, you would have an incentive to get all of the badges from the get-go in HGSS. Sidequests such as the Power Plant problem, the Lavender Radio Tower and awakening Snorlax should remain, but should be more fleshed out with other sidequests occurring too.

Continuing with the Gym story, I think it'd be cool if after listening to Professor Oak, he offered to give you a Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle. The reason for this would be that you would be given two opportunities - either to start afresh with a new Kanto team, or continue with your team caught in Johto. After choosing the starter, Oak would give you a Pass depending on your choice of challenge - a Beginner's Pass (all Gym levels would represent those from FR/LG, tailored for those who decide to travel Kanto with a new team), or a Hardcore Pass (Gym levels and Pokemon would be ramped up to suit those who are still using their Johto team). Depending on the pass, trainer level's would change accordingly.

Now, i'm in two minds about my whole 'Pass' idea. For one, players could be allowed to speed through Kanto using their team from Johto using the Beginner's Pass, or they could be required to leave their party with the Professor. I would definitely go with the latter, and if the player chooses this pass, then their PC Boxes filled with Pokemon would also be disabled until they get their 8th Badge.

I think my 'Pass' idea is probably too fiddly to work here, and the idea is probably too 'out of there' for Game Freak to have considered incorporated, but I think it would be cool to give players different ways of playing through Kanto. Either way, my point stands that Kanto should be a lot more fleshed out.

Calm PokeMaster

Better graphics to suit the DS,probably some new buildings and maybe new wild Pokemon in the Routes.

...........It will be nice if we could catch the starters in Route 1.

Johto King

2nd gen all the way!
i hope they make the kanto gameplay longer then in gold and silver

Rex Kamex

I actually want you to be able to select a Kanto starter from Prof. Oak's lab in Pallet Town. Or you meet him in Vermillion City and he gives you one there...? Or he can say, "Come to my lab in Pallet Town" or something. And to be fair, you can get the other two Kanto starters later onin the game.

Going off name basing for characters, the female usually gets the name of the second game. XD

Someone said that ingame coding says her name is "Leaf." Is that true? Is that true or are people just calling her that because it's the second game?

Status
Not open for further replies.