• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

the saddest moments in video game history :( (spoiler warning!)

I-am-the-peel

Justice Forever
I cannot believe no one has posted the endings to the following games:

-Modern Warfare 1
-Arkham City
-AC: Brotherhood and AC3

-Every single Final Fantasy Game that exists.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Oh yeah, Fable 3 was sad when you had to kill Walter.

Dragon Trainer X

良い感じ!
The ending to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness. Not only did you lose your old companion as he gave himself up to get rid of Dusknoir, but you had to be erased from existence in order to save the world from the spread of darkness, leaving your teammate all by himself to return.
Then there's also The World Ends With You. Not many people can truly grasp the ultimate story, but the moments in-game from your allies can be really sad. Shiki tells of how she was jealous of her other friend, and how she gave up her own self to be in the Reaper's Game, and then there was also how Rhyme pushed her brother out of the way of the Noise coming, and it flashed back to the same scene when a car was coming. The game keep taking you through loops and turns and twists of all kinds, and that's what makes it work so well.
That's all I can think of right now. Maybe I'll post some others when I recall them.

Dan The Poke Man

MEGAMEGAMEGA
I forgot to mention the end of LA Noire when Cole only gets to whisper "Bye" just a split second before he his swept away in the sewers.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
Hehe, I think my Sims dying is pretty sad. :p

KillerDraco

Pretty much all of Mother 3. It lures you in with promises of being bright, colorful, and quirky, and then proceeds to stomp on your heart for the next 30 hours or so.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Persona 4. December 3rd.

Metal gear solid 4 is INCREABLY sad. I think I cried all the way through, especially at that ending.
Anyway, I'm going with Metal Gear Solid 4. That's it. Just Metal Gear Solid 4. ALL of it. I won't go into excruciating detail about why. Just take my word for it that you need to play this one if you haven't yet.

Really? Not MGS1 or MGS3? Guns of the Patriots had its moments but it doesn't hold a candle to 1 or 3 story-wise.

Exactly. These and the ending of MGS3.

-Every single Final Fantasy Game that exists.

You didn't think this through.
[img139]http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7snow/ff7snow.gif[/img139]

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Really? Not MGS1 or MGS3? Guns of the Patriots had its moments but it doesn't hold a candle to 1 or 3 story-wise.

MGS 1 and 3 had sad moments. There's no denying this. But there's a difference. With MGS 4, these were characters you'd come to know throughout the entire series. So when they meet their ultimate fates, it's still sad each time. And you are not going to tell me you didn't tear up or at least get emotional during the debriefing of the game.

Pretty much all of Mother 3. It lures you in with promises of being bright, colorful, and quirky, and then proceeds to stomp on your heart for the next 30 hours or so.

Someone once described Mother 3 as 'that quirky little underdog game with the cute chuckle-worthy humor, colorful visuals, clever cultural references, quirky party members, horrendously evil villain, depressing soundtrack, and family-unfriendly deaths'. He wasn't joking. Like him, I knew practically all the sad parts before playing the game, but even still the impact hasn't diminished one bit. This is definitely another situation where the ENTIRE GAME is one big sad moment. Made all the more so by my theory on what really happened in that ending.

Last edited:

itzxkazer

Master Exploder
Im a big mass effect fan and mass effect 3 had loads of sad moments, mordins death, legions death, final conversations with party members at the london base, last conversation with anderson as he dies, citadel dlc was sad, the ending was heart breaking (haha)
Don't know how i forgot thanes death but that was sad
The last couple hours of RDR was moving
Tobis death in okami was pretty sad too
Thats all i can think of at the minute

Last edited:

Aegon

Fi's goodbye in Skyward Sword was quite saddening, especially given the nature of her fate and its impact on the series.

The Walking Dead Game on iPhone/XBox with Lee and Clementine was extremely sad at the end. Totally worth the $15.00.
I agree. I found it to be very distressing. The post-credits scene didn't even offer much reassurance.

-Arkham City
The ending was shocking and left me in awe until the credits had finished, but I'm not sure I'd describe it as "sad".

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
The ending to the first pokemon mystery dungeon. I cried...

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
MGS 1 and 3 had sad moments. There's no denying this. But there's a difference. With MGS 4, these were characters you'd come to know throughout the entire series. So when they meet their ultimate fates, it's still sad each time. And you are not going to tell me you didn't tear up or at least get emotional during the debriefing of the game.

Big Boss dying at The Boss' grave was nowhere near as sad as him crying while saluting her at the same grave in MGS3.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Big Boss dying at The Boss' grave was nowhere near as sad as him crying while saluting her at the same grave in MGS3.

It's the fact that it brings things full circle. That's the reason why that moment is sad.

[spoil]Big Boss dies in front of the same grave he saluted her at. But understand that it's not only the ending that makes it a sadder moment. It's everything in the game as a whole that makes it the saddest moment in the series. Whenever a character dies, you feel the weight of the death, because these are characters you've known throughout the series. When Naomi commits suicide in front of Otacon because she can't handle the burden of everything she's done, you feel sorry for Otacon and it affects you (sheesh, it seems like becoming that guy's girlfriend is a guaranteed death sentence). Eva, who turns out to essentially be Snake's surrogate mother, dies in Snake's arms after trying to retrieve what she thinks is Big Boss' burning corpse. And let's not forget the infamous microwave tunnel scene.[/spoil]

Last edited:

KyuremFreeze

Hello, b0ss
for me its a tie between when (spoiler alert) zelda is crystalized in TLoZ: skyward sword, and when you reunite kafei with his wife in majoras mask.

KyuremFreeze

Hello, b0ss
for me its a tie between when (spoiler alert) zelda is crystalized in TLoZ: skyward sword, and when you reunite kafei with his wife in majoras mask.
not to mention the end of any pokemon or zelda game. no other franchise other than those two gave you a sense of nostaliga,relief and a longing for more. koji kondo managed to make simple, 3-5 note songs touch the childhoods of millions. so, in a top 6 list:
6:the ending of any nintendo game.
5: all of majoras mask
4:zelda being crystalized in SS
3:reuniting kafei with his fiance in majoras mask
2:the end of the world in majoras mask
1:midnas desprate hour in twilight princess. no one had better character development in any videogame that ive ever played than midna. she was kind of like navi ecxept without that awful:Hey! Listen!. during the mission in which you have to save midna by taking her to zelda, when the enemys approach, you dont feel like you have time to kill them. you feel like a freind is about to die, and you will defend that friend with your life, even knowing that its only a video game.

TheGreaterLucario

Oh, let's see.... there was the ending to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness (I actually cried during the final few cutscenes), Greygnarl's sacrifice in Dragon Quest IX, Megaman's sacrifice at the end of Megaman Battle Network 3, Colonel and Iris' sacrifice at the end of Megaman Battle Network 6, The bad ending on The House of the Dead where Sophie turns into a zombie, The "fight" against Edge's parents in Final Fantasy IV (it was more like an in-battle dialogue sequence, though).... I could go on and on.

TheGreaterLucario

Someone once described Mother 3 as 'that quirky little underdog game with the cute chuckle-worthy humor, colorful visuals, clever cultural references, quirky party members, horrendously evil villain, depressing soundtrack, and family-unfriendly deaths'. He wasn't joking. Like him, I knew practically all the sad parts before playing the game, but even still the impact hasn't diminished one bit. This is definitely another situation where the ENTIRE GAME is one big sad moment. Made all the more so by my theory on what really happened in that ending.

Agreed. Before I continue, though....
SPOILER WARNING!!!

After you have gone through witnessing Lucas' brother Klaus basically kill himself, you muster the guts to pull that final needle needed to prevent the end of the world. The game's final cutscene that follows is.... the end of the world. It's at that point the player realizes that they just CAUSED the very apocalypse they were trying to prevent. Talk about depressing....