• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

the saddest moments in video game history :( (spoiler warning!)

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Aerith's death in Final Fantasy 7 is very sad in my opinion. When I first ever played Final Fantasy 7 I got pretty emotional when I got to that part.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
The start of the game: Shadow The Hedgehog

XD

Let me think here... this is a hard one.

Well, on a more recent note, I found the reunion of Count Bleck (Blumiere) and Tippi on Super Paper Mario to be really, really heart-wrenching (though Count Bleck himself was the most tragic of the two). The feels, man. Doesn't help I'm a sucker for romance, and I find it really, really sweet. But the only game I can remember actually feeling really sad at and crying was after Temporal Tower in PMD: Explorers. Just... oh God! I refused to save after the credits the first time, so when I went back to do it again, I still cried. As far as I know, that has never happened to me when playing a game, and it hasn't since.

Last edited:

Titanium Tyranitar

The saddest moment in video game history I think is when 343 guilty spark killed sergeant Johnson since he had been a friend to the master chief since Halo combat evolved was sad, another would be where Cortana sacrificed herself to bring down the Didacts shield and then used the last of her power to get the master chief off the ship, that final seen really gets to me where cortanta leaves

~Golden-Victini~

V is for Victory!
For me, the saddest video game moment is in the ending of pokemon black and white, and the pokemon mystery dungeon 2 games, I mean wow I never thought I'd cry because of a pokemon game.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Atari called their employees to a big conference/dinner complete with fancy dishes, nice table cloths, crystal glasses, etc. Then Atari told their employees that their efforts to turn the company around had failed, that Warner Communications was selling them, and that their new boss was Jack Tramiel, former head of Atari's main rival, Commodore.

(I might have gotten some of the details wrong, but this is basically what happened.)

Scolipedeluv

Squad member Ricchan
Noel becoming Mu-12, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift X'( . Hydreigon's death, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity.

Last edited:

Chandelurefan1

I was really depressed by Gamma's death in Sonic Adventure as he was a character we were able to sympathise with,.

Super Paper Mario's ending haunted me with the death of Count Blumiere and Lady Timpani showing how dark this game is.

The death of Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid 4 really shows the strong father and son relationship between Big Boss and Snake, as having one die for the other is so saddening.

and Mother 3's ending... I don't want to talk about it

Last edited:

ForeverFlame

Gotta give it to Final Fantasy VII. Before the scene was spoiled to hell and back, it was sudden and heartbreaking.

pikaskipper

Blue Screen Of Death
The end of pokemon mystery dungeon: sky, time, and darkness.

Keizaal

bring me to life
Ohhh-kay here's a list of things people probably already said

-Any Mystery Dungeon Game ever. Played each game (Blue, Time, Sky) 2-3 times each and cried EVERY TIME
- I admit to crying at the end of Oblivion when Martin sacrifices himself
- Bioshock Infinite's ending when Booker is drowned by Elizabeth
- Lucy's death in AC Brotherhood, even if she was a Templar
- Christina's death in Brotherhood.
- Desmond, Haytham, Kanen, Ziio, and Achilles' death in AC3. That game was hard on my heart.
- oh f**k me the entire Ac franchise is full of sadness
- The sad ending of BioShock 2. Although I didn't get it, I watched the video :(
- The good ending of the first BioShock made me teary-eyed

That's all I can think of atm. Excuse me while a start to cry.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
there are theories fans have made, but we have no idea what actually happened to everybody.

There's a pretty good indication of what really happens to everybody in one of Shigesato Itoi's interviews regarding Mother 3. It's one of the bases for my theory.

I dunno about the saddest moment in VG history, but the end of KH 358/2 days is pretty sad.

Roxas ruins it a bit, but up until that it's downright depressing. Playing KH2 for the first time right after that just made it worse, especially since I never played KH1.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
The endings of the first two PMD Games.

That series is the only games I've ever cried about, and Sad Music is sad doesn't help :p

Kindom Hearts 2
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Mother 3
Are all candidates, and I think people have already pointed out the worst parts.

However, the saddest ending I've ever came upon was for Harvest Moon: A Wonderful life, because it was almost too real. Here I had a great family, and my son had finally grown up to be a man. I was expecting the ending to show my son taking over the farm with his wife Kate, and showing me, my father, and Takakura finally relaxing at the beach. But no. Instead my character had to die. I literally had to watch my character's funeral.

Hey Micky!

"Saddest moment" - hmm, when I think over the (story-driven) games I've played there are quite a few contenders (a couple already mentioned - Silent Hill 2 & Bioshock Infinite). Just throwing these out there since I haven't seen them mentioned:

When it's revealed that Kratos killed his wife and child accidentally in a temple massacre. I mean, Kratos was a very hard character to feel any pity for, and so he kinda had what was coming to him (after-all, he was MASSACRING people) but it was still a very sad reveal and made a lot of sense of him

The infamous White phosphorus scene. I don't know if sad is perhaps the right word. Shocking is perfect as a descriptor but it was also tinged with a lot of sadness when pretty much the whole crew feel their humanity sapped right out of them. I know I felt a tinge of "Oh god, what have I done?" too. Especially since I'd targeted the mass of people pretty gleefully thinking to myself "haha, that's like 20 in one shot."

Also a worthy mention: Lugo's death. I genuinely thought I could save him so losing him shocked me. And I did end up opening fire on the civilians at this point. I think I'd died like 20 times just trying to rescue him so I was filled with a fair bit of rage to not even get a "reward" for my efforts

While Midna's desperate hour was sad, I postponed saving her, so I could listen to the music.
The Piano tune to that truly was gorgeous.

Mary's letter at the end of the Silent Hill 2. It's even more depressing if you get the "In Water" ending, where James commits suicide. :C
That's the ending I got as well. Ultimately, of all the SH2 endings it's the one that feels "most right" in my opinion. It's kind of the only way it really could end in my opinion.

Given that he did, in the end kill Mary. I forget where I read it but supposedly Mary's body is meant to have been in the back of his car the whole time, so the "in water" ending is a sort of joint burial for them.

Gotta give it to Final Fantasy VII. Before the scene was spoiled to hell and back, it was sudden and heartbreaking.
One thing I hate about having not played FF7 (ever) is knowing that this scene, which based on how many people have brought up not just in this thread but in general discussions of video game storytelling was absolutely stunning, is forever ruined for me. It's the same principle as Bruce Willis being a ghost. A twist is just never the same once you know.

Dom's death on Gears of War 3 was the only time I've come close to getting emotional in a video game. Other games don't build a relationship with the characters like Gears of War does.

Last edited: