• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Satisfaction of Knowing Nothing

craigprime

X&Y Supporter
I discovered something when I got Pokemon Black. I like knowing as little as possible of the game. It was hard, but I avoided looking online at spoilers and the new Pokemon throughout the game, all the way to the final N battle. It was a sense of discovery that I had never felt before. Even from Pokemon Red, I had looked at very possible piece of information I could.

But the joy i experienced in Black when I first went into the grass. A Lillipup! I had never seen one before. The happiness I had when I caught it. The feeling went on through most of the game. Purrloin, Roggenrola, even Trubbish was something interesting to me.

So I say this to all of you: There is no better game then one that is unknown.

Do you agree with me? Or do you feel you have to know everything beforehand?

Raro

Yeah, you can't beat a good surprise :)
It's just like Christmas. Knowing what the present is before unwrapping it ruins all the fun.

That being said though, I researched the game a lot before buying W2, which revealed heaps of spoilers so some of the fun was gone. But having not played B/W it isn't a big deal and it's still great discovering everything along the way.

Kind of related though: Natures... This game was so much more fun before I knew about them, now I find myself checking the nature of each pokemon I catch and trying to get decent / good natures. It helps in a way but is also annoying.

Zachmac

It is actually a much better experience to see new pokemon you haven't before....but you know, a lot of work is put into creating a completely new generation. New art, new stats, new back stories for the legendaries, and probably a lot of things the fandom underrates the amount of effort put into as a whole.

And besides that, if there is new pokemon every game, the genwunners may start to have a valid point that there are too many pokemon now in days...and no one wants that, do we?

It's probably best that we wait a while longer for generation 6.
Kind of related though: Natures... This game was so much more fun before I knew about them, now I find myself checking the nature of each pokemon I catch and trying to get decent / good natures. It helps in a way but is also annoying.
I just ignore them until I start raising my competitive team.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I can understand why people like going into things blind, but I can't stand it, myself. I spoil everything because it gives me greater insight in regards to what's going on. :p

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I like surprises..... sometimes.

I was VERY surprised about the Unova Link thing that I saw my Unova Dext certificate in my W2 when i went into Hilda's house. i just hate how I didn't know beforehand that my thing in White was included in W2... :/ Now both my characters are MJ D; I get confused when peeps mention MJ...coz both OTs of my White and W2 are both MJ's >.> nya~

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I spoiled half of BW before playing the game, and about 2/3 of the Unova Pokemon. I imagine it would have been more fun if I had kept everything unknown before playing... Thankfully, I haven't looked anything up for BW2 other than the new mechanics and tutors. I'll be playing Black 2 as soon as I finish grinding my older Pokemon in Black.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Even though I want to not know, curiosity gets the best of me, and I end up knowing practically everythiing about the games...

When Terra Ruby and Marine Sapphire come out, I will not visit SPP and SPPF AT ALL.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Early development spoilers are fine. Pokemon competitives are a nice way to show somme parts of the game. But I'd only see the prologue of the game story and that's it.

I did it recently with PMD Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth. I only stop after the first dungeon is completed. I'd rather know the rest myself later. i'm okay with trailers though

Sckewi

Totally agreed with the topic creator, and I did the same thing with White 2 to some degree.

It's definitely more fun when you experience the story and new Pokemon fresh without knowing what's about to happen all the way through!

Thunderstrike18

Sandāsutoraiku
I love being surprised with the new games. But, it is very tempting to learn about them before you play them. I tried to do this with my white 2 but, it didn't work out.

*IZ*

As soon as the next gen game will be announced, I will disappear from this forum since people will have those Pokemon as Avatars. I also won't check Serebii at all. That's how I did it with Sinnoh except the difference was that I lost interest in Pokemon and decided to buy the Pearl version and I had a lot of fun seeing the new Pokemon.

EliJolesy

I wish I could do this... I just have no self control to keep myself from going on Serebii to go look.... If Ruby and Sapphire are remade I'm going to look because I already played the originals. But the next one I'm going to try not to look at spoilers.... Maybe...

Rakurai

I'm terrible about not spoiling myself, even though I end up regretting it horribly later.

The newest PMD game being the most recent incident.

GreenSweeper

Pokemon = supr srs
You've got the right idea.

I remember I did my first play through of Emerald completely blind. It was pretty exhilarating!

Spudnugget1

who wants to sing
Spoilers are fine I suppose only if you're truly confident you can handle them. I played through mostly all of my Pokemon games blind on the first run, although I occasionally consulted a walkthrough for convenience sake.

If a game's plot is absolutely brilliant, however, I agree that playing it mostly unspoiled is better. Sometimes spoilers can't even give you a clear perspective on how a game's plot runs - only the context of having played it will. But that's a bit off-topic, as I'm talking more about other games.

If Gen III gets remade, I'll probably go right ahead and look everything up. There's quite frankly not much that could surprise me unless they did a sequel instead or totally revamped the plot or endgame or something. Having played those games over again several times, even for the sake of fun, I've gotten to the point where I know the maps like the back of my hand. Anyway, that's about it. Don't want to get too speculative or anything.

Hydreigon6507

I like surprises..... sometimes.

I was VERY surprised about the Unova Link thing that I saw my Unova Dext certificate in my W2 when i went into Hilda's house. i just hate how I didn't know beforehand that my thing in White was included in W2... :/ Now both my characters are MJ D; I get confused when peeps mention MJ...coz both OTs of my White and W2 are both MJ's >.> nya~

Ha ha ha, I remember how hilarious I thought it was that Ali (my Black 1 character) set up a shop in Ali's (White 2) Join Avenue.
Hello, Paradox! :p
Staying on topic, I remember that I knew almost nothing about Diamond, Pearl, Black, and White before I started playing. I wound up being disappointed when I knew almost everything about BW2. I hope to not do that with any future games.

Last edited: