• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The School of Hard Knocks! (009)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
The School of Hard Knocks!

Arriving at a Pokémon School, Ash & co help a student learn what Pokémon really is about while defending him against Bullies. Can they really help?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

wobbanut

Team Awesome
This is one of those episodes I'm not all that fond of, mostly because Giselle is such a mean character, and the animation is really subpar. Plus, there's a joke somewhere with Ash drinking tea and sighing, but it got lost in translation. The only parts I really like about the episode are Pikachu fighting back against cubone, and Pikachu with the treadmill.

B

Blue,Too?

I don't really like this episode, since it screwed up the show by saying that there are such things as levels in the show. But I liked the fight against Cubone.

I give this episode a 6.7/10

AJW73

Jedi Knight
I need to know something about a possible cut from the episode. When Ash and Brock were drooloing over Giselle, and Saying she looks like as movie star, Misty comments that she would love to show them some stars, then we cut to some arrogant bragging by Giselle. Now, in the original, did Misty attack Ash and Brock with her mallet between the two scenes? I'm just wondering.

BTW, I like the episode because of the randomness in the beginning with Ash drinking something and eating some chocolate, (I think it was Chocolate. he had some all over his face) whiich interrupted Misty's French fantasy.

I thought this was a good episode, and easily better than most episodes in the series the last 4 or 5 years. It was one of the last episodes when they were going more by the game, and then decided to change everything.

M

Magi of all

This episode has much nastalgia for me, as it is the first time I ever missed a whos that pokemon

Phantom_Bugsy

So hot he's on fire.
I loved this ep......and for once I'm proud of Ash for putting a real witch in her place. >>

Joe was so sweet. And he's a lot like me. He's smart but doesn't like to show it in fear of getting harder work and being picked on by other kids.

Aren't Starmie NOT supposed to have their jewel shattered like Misty's did? o_O Aren't they supposed to die or something? *wonders*

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
This episode confused me cos I was thought that Jessies family was poor, yet she managed to go to a top school like this.

Also didn't that Team Rocket special (forgotten the name) show where Jessie and James met up during training, and yet they went to school together as children.

EDIT: The name was Team Rocket! The Origin of Love & Youth

Last edited:

Akane

Ahh..good times, good times. LOL. Okay I really liked this epsiode. I have it on tape. It was the first time I saw Pikachu battled against another Pokemon without luck or distractions. And when Ash put Giselle in her place. So great. Also I liked Joe. He was cool. Yeah this was a great epsiode back from the day. My favs. ^___^

hammy_ham_ham

Unleash your Phantom
this eppy brought up alot with levels, but the pikachu and cubone were SOO funny!!!!!

M

Mistystar89

I loved this episode. It was funny when Misty kept on yelling at the other two plus the french moment with the smack XD Pikachu's battle was also funny.

P

Pandemonium

I thought this episode was really funny when I first saw it. The battle was so crazy you just couldn't resist to laugh. I also noticed the poor edit job on one of the cans brock was holding. I think cubone could've gotten a better debut(I was kind of imagining a episode when they met a cubone who recently lost his Mom). I think Giselle was hot. I wish she could make another appearence in an episode. Every time i saw the word "School" in a episode title, I thought she was appearing again. I can dream can't I?

C

Crystal Latios

Giselle is my fav "one episode" character. I just like her bad personality :p but she is a good girl and she loves her pokemon a lot. I like her fight with Misty. it was shocking.
I think, it is one and only one episode, where we can hear about levels.

Alfonso

Derpgull
I loved this episode simply for the Team Rocket Motto, because it was once of the best they ever did, and one of the last few that Ted Lewis did as James.

Other than that, I wasn't really bothered. I recall thinking that Giselle was hot, though, when I first saw it all those years ago.

T

Togemon

I loved this episode, mostly for Giselle. She had a great personallity, I would like to see her again...

wobbanut said:
This is one of those episodes I'm not all that fond of, mostly because Giselle is such a mean character, and the animation is really subpar. Plus, there's a joke somewhere with Ash drinking tea and sighing, but it got lost in translation. The only parts I really like about the episode are Pikachu fighting back against cubone, and Pikachu with the treadmill.
Same here. The animé is meant to be different from the show, and that means NO LEVELS. Giselle was an awful Trainer-of-the-Day(and she was really ugly, too, how is it that everyone likes her?), and they completely screwed up Cubone here. Making it cry after defeat was embarassing, as I've grown fond of it now that it's starring in my fic. Plus, Pikachu was really cruel to it. And, those inspector or whatever guys were cruel to that boy. If he doesn't know the question, then lay off ._.

Overall rating:
4.5 out of 10.........
A truely woeful episode. Prime reason why I'm Anti-Kanto, the episodes were terrible. If Giselle ever makes a return, I shall scream.

SC~ out

Last edited:

Heracross

Custom User Title
Well, I thought this was a very good episode. The concept of Pokémon Tech was interesting and put foreward an alternate way of being able to enter into the pokémon league. I liked the beginning of the episode where everything is obscured by fog and suddenly it all clears off and they realize they were right in front of the school all along. It was also funny how Kasumi hit Takeshi and Satoshi on the head with that log.XD And if I remember the dub version correctly the joke with Satoshi drinking didn't really loose it's meaning, it was just him ruining Kasumi's fantasy by slurping loudly. And lastly, I would like to say that Giselle was indeed very attractive.^_^;

Psychic Venusaur

Pokemon Master
Pokemon simulators are weeeeeak...

So the kid's name was Joe? I haven't seen this episode in a really long time.

Did they make some error about Pidgey, Pidgeotto, and Pidgeot in this episode? I'm not sure, but they do that often.

If I see this episode soon, I'll post more.

8/10