• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Science/Physics Club

evolutions

Well, physics is obviously my favourite science. But i find biology very interesting also. I haven't done alot of chemistry though, which some people find puzzling considering biology and chemistry make such a good match :).
One of the good thing about A-level is the flexibility. You get alot of freedom to choose what you want to do.

UltimateNagash

I am a glow worm...
Yeah... I never got biology or chemistry actually... I still got a B for the combined GCSE.
Anyway, Panda (and everyone else), could you please list all the science sites you know, and I'll add them to the first page for recommended looking. Same with any books, TV programs etc you know of.
And I'll start it off with Physics for Superheroes, by James Kakalios. Good read, no matter how stupid the people in my class this year thought it was for reading a science book using principles for comics :rolleyes: they didn't even want to listen, saying it's "not real". Yes, but quantum stuff does, explaining tunneling and stuff. And loh and behold, what did we do this year?
That's right, a brief bit of tunneling using quantum to show this side of physics... :p

evolutions

Well, for TV, Horizon is quite a good science program shown in the UK. The emphasis is imo more on introducing a range of scientific fields and current issues, rather than an in-depth explanation and analysis of the discussed topic.

If you're interested in string theory, 'The elegant universe' (both the book and the TV program) is a good place to start. It details the search for a 'theory of everything', explains what string theory is and how it may be able to achieve this goal.

erm, that's all for now, i'll think of other useful sources later.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
String theory's really interesting.

UltimateNagash, sure, I'll compile a shortlist later.

NewScientist and Scientific American are a good place to start. Helix magazine's good to.

If you're interested in Medicine, like me, a good magazine is the British Medical Journal.

Ethan

Banned
Thank you Panda. :)

We should also talk about the dangers of psuedo science. For example people believe the face shape on mars is proof of an advance alien civilization when in fact its just a peculiar rock formation. Things of that sort seem to run rampid in the scientific community and need to be rennounced. Working theories in science would also be an exellent topic such as string theory, snow ball earth theory, among others.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Yeah true.

One of science's greatest dangers is the loss of scientific method. That is the reason why YEC's are pseudoscientists, because they hold the Bible as an undeniable truth before they do anything else.

I'd love to discuss string theory...

Ethan

Banned
Yeah true.

One of science's greatest dangers is the loss of scientific method. That is the reason why YEC's are pseudoscientists, because they hold the Bible as an undeniable truth before they do anything else.

I'd love to discuss string theory...

I dont really understand string theory, could you go ver it for me?

UltimateNagash

I am a glow worm...
Basically, we're made of teeny tiny little strings...
No, really, we are. That's what the theory is...
Cheers for going to do the list. Now, after the 14th of July, I won't be in Britain for a month, so I will be on very sporadically. So any new members will just need to be patient at the time. I will try and add them, but I don't know when I will be able to use a computer with net access.
What's a YEC?
Oh, and don't forget, I'm British so get different mags to you :p

The_Panda

恭喜發財
YEC = Young Earth Creationism...
Let's not turn this into a creationism vs evolution debate.

The full name for string theory is actually SUperstring theory...

UltimateNagash

I am a glow worm...
I wasn't. Just wondering what YEC meant. Never heard of it before.
I've never heard it called Superstring theory. Whys it called that instead of just String Theory?

The_Panda

恭喜發財
UltimateNagash, Young Earth Creationism is a fundamentalist christian view of the world. It denies evolution, modern science, and says the earth is less than 6,000 years old.

I seriously have no idea why it's called Superstring theory either.

It's rather funny, Wikipedia has an article on string theory... in Latin.

UltimateNagash

I am a glow worm...
Maybe so they can add String Theory in as the strings that make up superstrings?

YEC... For a minute I was thinking it stood for Young Erban (pronounced Urban :D) Christian... :D

Why in Latin? It's a recent theory, so that seems rather, well, weird...

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Well I don't know. I did extension latin in year 12 (and Ancient Greek) :p

I read that article in Latin, it was quite good. So many words were latinised greek words, even the title - Theoria Chordarum!

Also String Theory can explain the Big Bang - the collision of two Branes. But that's more M-theory...

UltimateNagash

I am a glow worm...
Right, OK, new rule. Lets not talk about creation stuff, cause, well a) we can't prove it b) it hurts my brain c) I'm boss, I say so! :D
Is that OK?

Anyway, OK, random nature question: why are some clouds grey and some white?

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Agreed. Creation etcis for the debate forum. Here is just a place to get away from the mob (I'm getting far too technocratic XD)

About clouds being grey/white, I've never considered that. Perhaps to do with different levels of condensation, but I'm not sure. Is there a geologist here?

Oh and Will, you say you've got a job, are you at Uni, and if so what are you studying?

UltimateNagash

I am a glow worm...
I'm going to Uni in September/October hopefully. To do Maths and Computing (because, although I enjoy studying Physics, it's too hard for me to do like that. I prefer to do it at my own pace, discuss with my dad, look up stuff etc more than anything)
I believe the cloud thing was to do with amounts of water in it or something, but hey, this a Science club, so yeah...

The_Panda

恭喜發財
In August I've got a short interview/semi-exam, which will decide whether or not I can do my Graduate (honours) degree in Medicine at Oxford. I'm preparing for it now.

Perhaps clouds may have to do with how acidic/alkaline the water is? Just guessing now... XD