• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Science/Physics Club

K Brown

Global Warming, yeah, one of those problems that common people don't understand until it is too late.....a few time ago I was discussin it somwhere else and a guy came up with something like "lol...global warming is just propaganda...its fake..lololololo", I couldn't understand how someone could be so fool, but, hey! the fools are well represented: http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/7/2/185108.shtml

Dont you think things like that are dangerous???...Specially when the are read by a public that prefers not to think about big problems.

Peace

The_Panda

恭喜發財
It's because most people are obsessed with money :rolleyes:

Or as Al Gore puts it, "On one side of the scale we have gold. Everyone likes gold. And on the other side... THE ENTIRE EARTH! That's one tricky decision..."

And I don't approve of it...

Neither do I. But that's the (flawed) logic behind those who think so...

Oh and K Brown, I read some thing a few weeks ago saying that golbal warming is used by green groups to turn everyone into liberal hippies. o.0

Oh and what do you guys think of Homo Florensis? Is it a new species or a micro cephalic human?

UltimateNagash

I am a glow worm...
Never heard of it...
And where's those piccies? :D

BTW, the abbreviation of this club is the Sci-Phy club :D

Last edited:

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Search 'Hobbit' or 'Florensis' on google. On the island of Florens in Indonesia they discovered a few 'pygmy' humans with tiny brains. Some people classify them as a different species, Homo florensis, but others say it's a micro-cephalic human.

Oh and I was busy today, I'll make the pics in about an hour.

That is one awesome name ^^

UltimateNagash

I am a glow worm...
Oh, them, yeah, I know of those. Just didn't know the proper name. Hobbits describe them for me. Now where's the hairy feet :D
I never really decided on that, cause, well, the only reason they're arguing is to get on TV ;)

And glad you like the name... :)

UltimateNagash

I am a glow worm...
I'm going to request one from Sammi... I'll have to wait till Friday though. If others want to request one, just have such things as:
"Sci-Phy Club", "The Science Club" or, if you're just being silly (;)) "Geeks United" :D

Last edited:

The_Panda

恭喜發財
I've got a much better slogan.
"Sick of Star Trek? We have real Sci-Phy".

Oh and I've got my Black hole avoidance pic. It's just one, like a comic divided into three parts (it reads left to right btw).

Panel 1: Ahhh! We're going into a Black Hole!
Panel 2: We can at least try to steer clear
Panel 3: Use centrifugal force, aka the slingshot, to gain energy as we slowly orbit with gravity, enough to hurl ourselves away!

blackholes.jpg

UltimateNagash

I am a glow worm...
Like the slogan

So something like these (not to scale ;)):
blackholesdms6.png

(See, I wasn't kidding when I said I was bad at those ;) - I'm good at precise stuff, not that...)

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Like that. You use the centrifugal force of gravity to swing you round in motion and pick up speed, then use that additional speed to hurl yourself away. Kinda like a slingshot, just throwing the rock may do something, but extra power will be added if you continue to spin it round, in our case enough power to (hopefully) steer clear of the Black hole.

UltimateNagash

I am a glow worm...
Centrifugel and not centripetal, eh?

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Although the Black hole is centripetal force, this proposes to use it as a centrifuge by increasing the speed at the required time. Anyway I should have said centripetal force earlier. My bad.

Lugia Kuriarhia

I'll join. I like physics, and am also interested in astronomy, cosmology and astrophysics. (I am a mathematician though).

I've never heard it called Superstring theory. Whys it called that instead of just String Theory?
Well I'm not 100% sure but as far as I can tell the reason for the name Superstring Theory has to do with two things.
a)To distinguish it from Classical String Theory.
b)Superstring theory includes supersymmetry.

Superstring Theory has the property that it solves a few problems with the Classical String Theory (or Bosonic String Theory).

Here's an excerpt from Introduction to Superstring Theory by Elias Kiritsis:
Elias Kiritsis said:
In chapter superstrings are introduced. They provide spacetime fermions and realize supersymmetry in spacetime and on the world-sheet. I go through quantization again, and describe the different supersymmetric string theories in ten dimensions. In chapter gauge and gravitational anomalies are discussed. In particular it is shown that the superstring theories are anomaly-free.

You can find the article here. It's a bit technical though.

I was just reading an article on Cosmic background radiation and scientists use it to determine the age of our universe is anyone educated about that? Id like to learn more.
Here's and FAQ on the CMBR.

Last edited:

UltimateNagash

I am a glow worm...
Added you to the list.

Hey, Panda, you finished your list yet? ;)

The_Panda

恭喜發財
No, it would be easier if we all just collectively posted them. I list from me would practically only include a few science journals, but the vast majority being boring medical journals that no-one here would read. Not much of mine would be American stuff either, mainly English and Australian. I can't be bothered to put any Chinese or Singaporean journals on the list, unless anyone here other than me is fluent in Mandarin.
NewScientist
Scientific American
National Geographic
Helix magazine
Archives (a high-quality medical journal)
British Medical Journal (probably the best medical journal)
Medical Journal of Australia (Medical journal)
American Medical Journal
www.pubmed.org (a collection of almost all medical articles written in recent history)

That's my shortlist, I'm sure most people have a lot to add. I doubt you guys would find much of those med stuff that interesting.

evolutions

Here's a website for those interested in biology
http://tolweb.org/tree/
It's an online project providing information on the evolutionary history and characteristics of all groups of organism (and it's peer reviewed).

Oh and The Panda, i'm fluent in mandarin :). Although i rarely read any chinese articles anyway, so yeah, don't bother ;).

Amostein

Global Warming, yeah, one of those problems that common people don't understand until it is too late.....a few time ago I was discussin it somwhere else and a guy came up with something like "lol...global warming is just propaganda...its fake..lololololo", I couldn't understand how someone could be so fool, but, hey! the fools are well represented: http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/7/2/185108.shtml

Heh, sounds something like what I said. But there are things to help argue that point. Most CO2 is given off by the sea. Humans add only a little to that.

There have been many mini ice ages and times where the earth heated up a lot. During the 16/17th century in Britain there was a mini ice age. It was so cold that the river themes froze over and people could skate on it (paintings help prove it) and we can go back to the 14th century also a see this.

They account the warming and cooling of the earth to the activity of the sun - sun spots. Water droplets in clouds are formed by the water vapour being hit by some sort of radiation (I'll try and find the type). As you would think, the more of this radiation there is the more clouds are formed and therefore cooling the earth (50% chance of getting that right - been a while since I've read the article) - the more radiation there is means less activity on the sun. Why? Read on. Now then, sun spots emit intense magnetic waves, this pushes the radiation away forming less clouds and the earth heats up.

Can this be attributed to the warming of the earth? Well, so some scientists believe. It is defiantly reflected now. In fact, the man who came up with this bet $1000 that he would get the weather for the month more accurate than the weather forecasters (obviously using the activity of the sun), and he won the bets.

ALSO, if you look at a graph showing the temperature of the sea (as it has a heat memory - takes hundreds of years for it to react to a temperature change) with activity of the sun displayed on it, the two graphs are almost identical (except for the 300 year lag of the sea). Compare the temperature of the sea and CO2 emissions and it's obvious how the little correlation there is.

Perhaps this is propaganda from the oil companies, and the scientists were paid to say these things, but I doubt they would put their credibility on the line for the dollar.

Anyway, that's what I believe, and I know in posting this comment I have already lost most respect, basically because who ever speaks out against Global warming is an 'idiot', but whatever :l

Correct me if I’m wrong though, it has been a while since I’ve read the article.

Also, I won't be active for a while as I'm getting my internet fixed, and Sorry for not being active recently but the internet and indeed the forums wouldn't work.

Last edited:

The_Panda

恭喜發財
No, you're not an 'idiot', you're ignorant. Funny, I've never read an article in any scientific journal that attempts to disprove global warming. What I do see is stuff in the editorials of the papers, but nothing scientific.

Oh, Evolutions, you are fluent in Mandarin? That's great! I'm not the only one here. Anyway, the Chinese stuff I was going to post is all medical. You guys probably wouldn't be interested.

Amostein

No, you're not an 'idiot', you're ignorant. Funny, I've never read an article in any scientific journal that attempts to disprove global warming. What I do see is stuff in the editorials of the papers, but nothing scientific.

Explain how I might be 'ignorant' when I have given FACTS to back up my points.

I am aware of what scientists have said, but it doesn’t convince me; what I have stated seems more plausible.

I'm on a friends PC so I geuss I will be active xD

Last edited:

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Explain how I might be 'ignorant' when I have given FACTS to back up my points.

Sorry for saying that. It was my joke because you said you would be called idiot :p You're a lot less ignorant than most skeptics though.

There have been many mini ice ages and times where the earth heated up a lot. During the 16/17th century in Britain there was a mini ice age. It was so cold that the river themes froze over and people could skate on it (paintings help prove it) and we can go back to the 14th century also a see this.

So? This is human activity affecting this, not a natural cycle.

They account the warming and cooling of the earth to the activity of the sun - sun spots. Water droplets in clouds are formed by the water vapour being hit by some sort of radiation (I'll try and find the type). As you would think, the more of this radiation there is the more clouds are formed and therefore cooling the earth (50% chance of getting that right - been a while since I've read the article) - the more radiation there is means less activity on the sun. Why? Read on. Now then, sun spots emit intense magnetic waves, this pushes the radiation away forming less clouds and the earth heats up.

Again, we have never seen warming on such a scale as today.

ALSO, if you look at a graph showing the temperature of the sea (as it has a heat memory - takes hundreds of years for it to react to a temperature change) with activity of the sun displayed on it, the two graphs are almost identical (except for the 300 year lag of the sea). Compare the temperature of the sea and CO2 emissions and it's obvious how the little correlation there is.

Where was the sea temperature measured? I'm not a geologist, but the sea has very variable temperatures by where you are at, because currents frequently change the pattern.

Seriously, I thought similar stuff to that. Watch an Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore's film. It convinced me.