• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Science/Physics Club

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Welcome new members.

Eonmaster_457, the articles I was considering linking to were not about science, but about medicine. *shudder*

SP, I find the Big Bang theory fascinating. I believe it did happen because of the existence of CMB radiation. However I don't know how it was caused. That is mainly speculation. The proponents of M-Thoery (wiki it) often say the Big Bang could have been caused by the clash of two branes. Another theory is that the universe is cylical, it expands, gets to a certain point, then contracts. I believe the Big Bang did happen, but I honestly have no idea as to what may have caused it.

Oh and btw, I have decided that rather than pursue a higher degree, I'll get my doctors certificate earlier and work from there. I may not be going to Oxford after all :( Anyway, I have successfully applied to be an intern at RPA (the main hospital in Sydney) and I'm leaving Singapore to live in Sydney, where I spent my childhood. I've started full medical training and next year I can register to be a junior doctor with the AMA.

giga872

I am almost certen that there was a Big Bang, but I have no clue how is started. I'm positive that the universe is ever expanding and slowing down as an expodenchal facter, so I think it will never stop growing, but get close to it in a long long time.

Amostein

I would like to discuss big bang theory. Do we have any evidence as to what may have caused it? Or are things still in mere speculation right now.

Well, you got the two Barnes of high and low entropy colliding to form our universe. Also, there is the idea where one says that our universe is a fragment of an even grater one; this 'mother universe' expanded and expanded until it just could not hold itself together, and then we were 'born'. There is another theory what we came about because of a sea of black holes, I don't know much about that one but it sounds intriguing none the less. Or else you have the idea where there was his ever present particle which in a catastrophic (or 'good' event as the case may be!) event exploded - but with these more modern ideas it is downplayed today.

I totally believe in the big bang; yes I'm a Christian, but I still believe that God could have let science run it's course - and for that reason I'm starting to believe in evolution (still a few kinks with it in my eyes proposed by the media and some scientists).

The_Panda

恭喜發財
JoshDuddy, it's good that you are realising that evolution does occur. If you have any questions about it, you could ask here.

There are so many possibilities for the start of the Big Bang. Personally I like the cyclical theory, but I haven't had much of a look into it. M-theory is a more complicated form of string theory that revolves around branes. Perhaps two branes collided somehow?

The Big Bang is indeed a fascinating topic. We know so little about it that it's rather fun to speculate.

Ethan

Banned
Thats really interesting. What are branes? Ill restate my first question agian: Do we have any evidence to suggest what caused the big bang thus far? Or are things just speculative right now?

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Unfortunately we don't have much evidence for what caused the Big Bang (to my knowledge). It's mainly speculation I think...

Here is the Wikipedia article on branes. It's not that good, there's a notice that it needs expert attention, .but it explains it well enough for our purposes.

evolutions

SP said:
Do we have any evidence to suggest what caused the big bang thus far? Or are things just speculative right now?

In terms of evidence, there're three main branches.

1. Expansion of the universe, observed by red shift of galaxies, point to the universe starting from a 'singularity'. Hubble's Law

2. Cosmic background radiation, which are the remnant of the big bang. Current prediction of the age of the universe by point 1 and point 2 arrive at approximately the same date (ie 14 billion yrs). This is important since it shows two independant line of evidence agrees with each other.

3. The abundance of light element (eg helium), which fit with prediction of the reaction occuring within the first 3 min of the big bang.

Then there're other observations that point to the big bang being the best modal we currently have, due to their consistency.

1. Olber's paradox, which is a paradox asking why the sky is dark at night (a universe that's infinite in time and space should mean that where ever you look your line of sight should fall on a star, hence a bright sky even at night!). The big bang explains this since the universe is not inifinite.

2. Time dilation of supernova (predicted by the big bang theory). For example, a supernova that takes 1 week to decay will instead take 2 weeks to decay. This has been observed numerous times.

3. The age and evolution of stars are in agreement with our predictions.

There're some more, but i'll add them later.

The Panda said:
Unfortunately we don't have much evidence for what caused the Big Bang (to my knowledge). It's mainly speculation I think...

err...there're still some phenomena and factor that the big bang theory haven't taken into account or explain so well, but to be fair it's hardly speculation :). It's a theory supported by lots of evidence, made useful predictions, which have been tested and confirmed. Of course, the constant discovery in cosmology means the theory have to be tweaked every so often to include these data.

Last edited:

Ethan

Banned
In terms of evidence, there're three main branches.

1. Expansion of the universe, observed by red shift of galaxies, point to the universe starting from a 'singularity'. Hubble's Law

2. Cosmic background radiation, which are the remnant of the big bang. Current prediction of the age of the universe by point 1 and point 2 arrive at approximately the same date (ie 14 billion yrs). This is important since it shows two independant line of evidence agrees with each other.

3. The abundance of light element (eg helium), which fit with prediction of the reaction occuring within the first 3 min of the big bang.

Then there're other observations that point to the big bang being the best modal we currently have, due to their consistency.

1. Olber's paradox, which is a paradox asking why the sky is dark at night (a universe that's infinite in time and space should mean that where ever you look your line of sight should fall on a star, hence a bright sky even at night!). The big bang explains this since the universe is not inifinite.

2. Time dilation of supernova (predicted by the big bang theory). For example, a supernova that takes 1 week to decay will instead take 2 weeks to decay. This has been observed numerous times.

3. The age and evolution of stars are in agreement with our predictions.

There're some more, but i'll add them later.

err...there're still some phenomena and factor that the big bang theory haven't taken into account or explain so well, but to be fair it's hardly speculation :). It's a theory supported by lots of evidence, made useful predictions, which have been tested and confirmed. Of course, the constant discovery in cosmology means the theory have to be tweaked every so often to include these data.

Wow. Thanks for the info evolutions. But you sort of missed my point, Im not looking for evidence that the big bang happened because as youve siad there is plenty, but evidece as to what caused it.

evolutions

SP said:
Wow. Thanks for the info evolutions. But you sort of missed my point, Im not looking for evidence that the big bang happened because as youve siad there is plenty, but evidece as to what caused it.

Oh I see (hmm how did i miss the cause in your statement lol). Well yes in that case, it is mainly speculation, to keep long answers short.

The Panda said:

I apologise for misinterpreting what you meant :D. And yeah, one hypothesis is the collision of two branes. I haven't got the latest issue of new scientist, but i read on the website that scientist have come up with a way of testing the validity of string theory. Do you have any info on that?

Amostein

Thats really interesting. What are branes?

From what I know, barnes are states of chaos.

I think Evolutions pretty much covered everything. EDIT With the ideas o_O - It's just down to your own beliefs SP; Some being created it? A random phenomenon? Or is the big bang even the right answer to the creation of the universe? Perhaps we are the figment of someone’s imagination, dreams, or are we all pieces of data in a super advanced computer system replaying the past?

Thanks The_Panda, I will ask if I have any question, which I do, and I will ask....... when I have more time x_X

Last edited:

The_Panda

恭喜發財
I think Evolutions pretty much covered everything. EDIT With the ideas o_O - It's just down to your own beliefs SP; Some being created it? A random phenomenon? Or is the big bang even the right answer to the creation of the universe? Perhaps we are the figment of someone’s imagination, dreams, or are we all pieces of data in a super advanced computer system replaying the past?

Yeah, you always have to consider it. I don't think the Big Bang is 100% certain. But I do believe it happened because of the evidence that supports it. While other hypotheses are always fun, they are not supported to the same level.

intrnd

Placeholder

The CMB is particularly important because of its uniformity of distribution and temperature; which suggests a common origin.

Yeah, you always have to consider it. I don't think the Big Bang is 100% certain. But I do believe it happened because of the evidence that supports it. While other hypotheses are always fun, they are not supported to the same level.

Yes, even the present theory is not 100% complete. Probably the greatest change to the current model came with the introduction of inflationary cosmology, which suggests that there was a period of rapid expansion caused by negative pressure.

Furthermore, changes in big bang theory, and black hole physics, will be forced if any unifying theories are proven correct, as most propose a finite division of either matter/energy (mainly string theory) or space-time (mainly loop quantum gravity)

So, anyway, can I join?

Last edited:

Amostein

While other hypotheses are always fun, they are not supported to the same level.

Indeed, like the preposterous constant universe theory.

And aye intrnd, you may join.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Even better - the great cosmic llama spat on the celestial fence, forming a universe floating in the saliva ^^

Welcome intrnd. Hope you like the club.

Oh I don't think a constant universe is preposterous. We don't know enough about it to dismiss it like that. Why do you think it is preposterous anyway (btw, I don't believe it, but I don't think it's preposterous)?

Dragon Wing

Eat Miltank Burgers!
Hi, I was wondering if I could join? I always have a scientific answer for literally every question lol.

Also, I was wondering if anyone thinks that if we can select certain areas of genes, and insert them into human bodies or whatever, we could become sort of "super humans"? Lol, it sounds like I've been watching too many Sci-Fi movies, but seriously, What if we got the gene from a Glacier Hopper that stops its blood freezing when the body is frozen, and insert it into ourselves, so that we can live through being frozen in ice for years, and we can then "wake up", being thawed out of ice in the future or something?

Amostein

Oh I don't think a constant universe is preposterous. We don't know enough about it to dismiss it like that. Why do you think it is preposterous anyway (btw, I don't believe it, but I don't think it's preposterous)?

A universe which has always existed? Well, that pretty much says it for me.

The continuous expansion of the universe, red shift and the discovery of dark matter make me and many cosmologists etc believe so.

Welcome Dragon Wing.

In responce to your question - I have heard that in the future they plan to make humans which can live in space for long periods; they would have 2 extra arms in place of their legs, make them smaller and a lot more. Have they not already begun to do experiments whith the blood freezeing thing?

Last edited:

evolutions

Joshduddy said:
In responce to your question - I have heard that in the future they plan to make humans which can live in space for long periods; they would have 2 extra arms in place of their legs, make them smaller and a lot more. Have they not already begun to do experiments whith the blood freezeing thing?

How are they going to walk :D? Genetic engineering has already achieved this, just not with humans. the tomatos had anti-freeze gene from a fish inserted into their DNA to develop a resistance to cold. Good thing they don't have the side effect of tasting like fish.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Also, I was wondering if anyone thinks that if we can select certain areas of genes, and insert them into human bodies or whatever, we could become sort of "super humans"? Lol, it sounds like I've been watching too many Sci-Fi movies, but seriously, What if we got the gene from a Glacier Hopper that stops its blood freezing when the body is frozen, and insert it into ourselves, so that we can live through being frozen in ice for years, and we can then "wake up", being thawed out of ice in the future or something?

As Evolutions has said, they have already done that with tomatoes :p

Anyway, welcome to the club.

A universe which has always existed? Well, that pretty much says it for me.

The continuous expansion of the universe, red shift and the discovery of dark matter make me and many cosmologists etc believe so.

Sure the evidence doesn't point towards it; but not enough against it to dismiss it as prepostuous. You're committing the argument from incredulity fallacy, just because you can't personally conceive how does not mean it did not occur.

Dragon Wing

Eat Miltank Burgers!

Oh, cool.

They have tried freezing people, but without the "special" gene that stops ice crystals in the blood forming when it is not done quickly enough.

So, I guess we're going to have "Hunkeys" (Lol, humans and monkeys...) In space... That's going to be cool... I hope that when I'm older I get a job as a scientist to do stuff like that, or changing genes in my body lol.

... And anti-freezing tomatoes? Cool! I can imagine an advert for them "Look! Tomatoes that don't freeze! Wow, woo, *cheer*! Gene altered tomatoes! Mmm-mmm!"

EDIT: Oh, and a made a banner :p I have it in two types of files (i can get it in others aswell);

The JPEG:

ScienceSPPFClubBanner-1.jpg

[*IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/Jiubsbeer/ScienceSPPFClubBanner-1.jpg[/IMG*]

The BMP:

ScienceSPPFClubBanner.jpg

[*IMG]http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/Jiubsbeer/ScienceSPPFClubBanner.jpg[/IMG]

Only use them if you want; I just did them because I had nothing to do ;)

Last edited: