• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Seldom Strikers

725roy

ambivolent
The Seldom Strikers - March 2014 Updated!

seldomngrs.png

Overview
Ever had one of those moments where you’re bored of OU, but don’t want to learn how to play a new tier because it’s too much work? Odds are, you’ve probably seen hundreds of Talonflame, Aegislash and other OU staples, and have grown tired of them. However, have you ever wondered what could stand up to them that no one else has?

Thanks to Ger9119’s love for Poopymons, Ger, Mean Mr. Snorlax, and I, 725roy, present the “The Seldom Strikers”.

The Seldom Strikers is similar to the Lost Heroes Challenge, but not as difficult and more of a testing environment to find new and useful teams that would otherwise be overlooked. Many Pokemon in this day and age are being overlooked simply because they’re either too hard to use or have flaws that prevent them from being used. This project allows people to prove that these Pokemon are not to be overlooked, and that they can hold their own under the right conditions. We are looking to get a team for as many different Pokemon as possible, using any strategies possible (Baton Pass is frowned upon if it’s the whole team).

Every month, two Pokemon, one more offensive oriented, and one more defensive oriented, will be featured, and will be provided with 2 or 3 sets. With each featured Pokemon, participants are encouraged to take the one of the featured Pokemon and make a team that can hold its own in the OU tier. Each team must have must have one of the featured Pokemon, but they don’t have to use one of the given sets. Instead, if someone ladders the highest with a team that uses a new set, then that set will also be featured along with the already given sets. There will be two teams indexed at the end of each monthly cycle, and the team that ladders the highest with each Pokemon will be entered for everyone to see. After the monthly cycle is completed, two new Pokemon will be chosen and the cycle will be repeated. Each monthly cycle will end on the final night of the month, at 11:59 p.m. and begin the next morning morning at 12:00 a.m., and will be posted by any of the leaders, however the new Pokemon may not revealed until later that day. Occasionally, we will have community votes for the next featured Pokemon, but otherwise they will be decided amongst the leaders.

The Rules
  1. All teams have to have be centered around one of the featured Pokemon.
  2. All teams being used to ladder must be under a completely clean alt. No exceptions.
  3. Each match must be played on the Pokemon Showdown’s main server, under the OU tier.
  4. If there is a Suspect Test option, teams are to be played under the main OU ladder
  5. As referred in the previous rule, all teams must be played under Smogon X/Y OU rules, and must follow all banlists and clauses.
  6. At the end of the month, the highest laddering team that have been submitted will be taken into the index.
  7. All teams being submitted must have at least 15 battles to their name and ladder rank of at least 1200.
  8. When posting your team, please also post a screenshot with your ladder ranking and alt, so we can verify your accomplishments.
  9. If a team makes it into the index, but one of it’s members gets banned by Smogon, the indexed team shall remain in the index.
  10. For Pete’s sake, no Baton Pass or any other crappy gimmick sets, please. Nobody likes using those.
  11. Have Fun!

With all our entries, in order to manage this project effectively and proactively, We will be using Google Docs to host all the entries or teams, and the folder can be found Here.

Featured Team Contributors
725roy
Zerofield
Mean Mr. Snorlax
Aeon™
Apollo77

The Staff!
725roy (Writer, Set Contributor, “Grammer Team”)
Ger9119 (Set Design Manager, Set Contributor)
Mean Mr. Snorlax (Set Design Manager, Set Contributor, “Grammer Team”)

Posting replays are encouraged, but not necessary!

(Lastly, by entering your team, you agree to it being used by anyone who imports it.)

*Banner credit goes to Extroph. What a guy.

Last edited:

725roy

ambivolent
Featured Pokemon
;479-c; Rotom-M (Example Set) - Featured: 725roy/Zerofield ;479-c;
;042; Golbat (Example Set) - Featured: Mean Mr. Snorlax ;042;
;226;Mantine (February 2014) - Featured: Aeon™ ;226;
;062; Poliwrath (February 2014) - Featured: Apollo77 ;062;
;335;Zangoose (March 2014) - ??? ;335;
;336;Seviper (March 2014) - ??? ;226;

Last edited:

725roy

ambivolent
For this month, the first of it's kind, Ger, MMS and I present to all of you,
Mantine;226; and Poliwrath;062;!

Mantine

Mantine (With usage stats at 0.08276%) is an amazing user of Assualt Vest, and is a great bulky Pokemon. But, with its x4 weakness to Electric, many people find this adorable manta ray difficult to use. However, that doesn't stop Mantine from being able to take tons of hits from many different sweepers in OU!

Poliwrath

Poliwrath (with usage stats at 0.11486%) was seen as the poor man's Keldeo and in the shadow of his green brother, and has taken an even bigger beating, now being weak to Fairies. However, that doesn't mean this spiral-y frog will die! Poliwrath is a great abuser of SubPunch and can be surprisingly defensive at times!

To visit view the sets provided, click on the Pokemon!

This round will end on February 28th at 11:59 p.m.

Last edited:

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
Laddering as SaulTine with my Mantine Stall.

ger9119

725roy

ambivolent
Just an update for anyone participating, Genesect and Lucarionite are now banned to Ubers. Good Luck!

Apollo77

John Doe
Posting progress in case my luck goes down the toilet.

[IMGSIZE=]http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b564/Apollothemuse/Mark6_zpscc15d6e1.png[/IMGSIZE]

SUMO, ***** (Poliwrath) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Bulk Up
- Circle Throw

Fiery Turd (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Roar

Weed Flower (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Flappy Bird (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Fat ***** (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 220 Def / 36 HP / 220 SDef
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Asian Killer (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

Last edited:

725roy

ambivolent
With just 7 days left, make sure you post your ladder ranks, and team! The cutoff will be made at 11:59pm on February 28th!

Last edited:

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
ScreenShot2014-02-28at82807PM_zpsb0b6e24a.png

Mantine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 Atk
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Def / 8 SDef / 248 HP
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Skarmory (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 Atk
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 Def / 252 HP / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Sludge Wave

Apparently I'm the ****ing best Serebii has to offer.

Also I accidentally attached the image and can't unattach it. Sorry about that.

Attachments

• ScreenShot2014-02-28at82807PM_zpsb0b6e24a.png
    ScreenShot2014-02-28at82807PM_zpsb0b6e24a.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 26

725roy

ambivolent
With just 3 hours left, We've got 1 entrant for both feature Pokemon! Also, a new rule has been added that you must have had at least 15 battles with your team, and have a ladder rank of over 1200. Shouldn't be too difficult.

725roy

ambivolent
Congratulations to Aeon™ and Apollo77 for being the highest ladderers in the first round of Seldom Strikers they have been featured accordingly!

For the month of March, we're honoring Ruby and Sapphire's releases with featuring two version exclusive Pokemon!

Zangoose;335; and Seviper;336;

Zangoose

Zangoose, a Pokemon that has never shined very much, is actually pretty good! With a great base 115 attack stat, when wearing a Choice Scarf, Zangoose becomes surpringly useful! Not to mention, Zangoose gets Knock Off!

Seviper

In contrast to Zangoose, Seviper is quite bulky and offensive, with a wide variety of moves at its disposal!

Good luck everyone! This round will end March 31 at 11:59

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
Congratulations to Aeon™ and Apollo77 for being the highest ladderers in the first round of Seldom Strikers they have been featured accordingly!

For the month of March, we're honoring Ruby and Sapphire's releases with featuring two version exclusive Pokemon!

Zangoose;335; and Seviper;336;

Zangoose

Zangoose, a Pokemon that has never shined very much, is actually pretty good! With a great base 115 attack stat, when wearing a Choice Scarf, Zangoose becomes surpringly useful! Not to mention, Zangoose gets Knock Off!

Seviper

In contrast to Zangoose, Seviper is quite bulky and offensive, with a wide variety of moves at its disposal!

Good luck everyone! This round will end March 31 at 11:59

OMG YES! I LOVE ZANGOOSE! im so laddering with it

Ikorus

I'm gonna have to try this, for great Seviper. Gonna be good.

EDIT: So far, not so good. Done some fiddling, several mons changing regularly. Gotten a handful of victories under username Vyprstrike, but thus far not a one can be attributed to Seviper. Ferrothorn, Clefable, Mega Absol, Galvantula, and even Scolipede have single handedly won or caused forfeights (an entertaining example can be found here: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-98209623 ) but Seviper has been a huge letdown.

The objective has been trying to baton pass an expert belt set a speed boost (which he really needs) as well as potentially some power. it has not gone well. going to do some more tinkering, play some matches to see if i can get some refinement advice, but so far seviper is proving a complete waste. too slow, too fragile, too weak. shame, i really like seviper.

Last edited:

ger9119

I'm gonna have to try this, for great Seviper. Gonna be good.

EDIT: So far, not so good. Done some fiddling, several mons changing regularly. Gotten a handful of victories under username Vyprstrike, but thus far not a one can be attributed to Seviper. Ferrothorn, Clefable, Mega Absol, Galvantula, and even Scolipede have single handedly won or caused forfeights (an entertaining example can be found here: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-98209623 ) but Seviper has been a huge letdown.

The objective has been trying to baton pass an expert belt set a speed boost (which he really needs) as well as potentially some power. it has not gone well. going to do some more tinkering, play some matches to see if i can get some refinement advice, but so far seviper is proving a complete waste. too slow, too fragile, too weak. shame, i really like seviper.

I ran Double Screens support mainly with Scoli as a backup option, Seviper is very effective at picking off certain threats to teams.

-----------

Congrats to Aeon and Apollo on winning the first month's challenge and goodluck to everyone partaking in this months.

Arceus500

Is this like done or something?'Cause its may now. So can the people that run this give the next two pokemon

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
Since it's been like two months, someone should post something.
That someone is me.
Linoone and Furret if anyone's interested.