• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Semifinals I: Sweep (1211)

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
When I look back at this tournament, there'll have barely been any meaningful interactions between the champions, but at least I got to spend half an episode with these two children.
These two children r still more interesting than Koharu haha

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
I don't really understand the logic of wasting 3 episodes full of filler stuff, and as if that was not enough waste the majority of this episode focusing on smth that doesn't add anything to the plot, instead of showcasing an important battle of a world-level tournament. What did the 1st half of this episode contribute to? Nothing. The backstory of Cynthia and Garchomp could have been easily told at the first 5 mins of the episode.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
These two children r still more interesting than Koharu haha
Koharu hasn’t been around for the tournament because there are no eevee’s or its evolutions. It’s the only thing the writers can keep consistent.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Not an essay time:
Wow, just wow. What an absolute joke! We waited an entire month, having to endure two recap episodes and a filler episode that did nothing on Koharu's end only to wait a further 12 minutes on a subplot that could've been its own episode rather than have it share the spotlight with a battle that had been 50% done by the time the pointless subplot was donion rings. Mind you, when Cynthia talked about how she had Gible since an egg, my immediate thought was "Is that a 10k egg? (smile)"
As for the condensed battle, which going into the episode I didn't have high expectations for anyway, I figured we wouldn't see any new pokemon on Leon's end, though I suppose Jessie ceasing to care after Gourgeist was unalived off-screen elicited a cheap giggle. Also, Dragapult got hit by a Hyper Beam despite being a ghost-type? Sure. The visuals between the Charizard/Gardevoir clash at least looked cool, that's one positive I can at least give the battle.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Strangely enough, the fact that Hyper Beam is a normal-type move, and therefore should not have affected Dragapult, went right over my head. I keep thinking that Hyper Beam is a dragon-type move for some reason.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
One more thing, I can't believe the pointless subplot and the condensed battle made me forget that Go was sent some material from Project Mew at the top of the episode, and it really wouldn't surprise me if Go has to dip out before the end of the Masters Tournament because he gets the call from Project Mew. Probs won't happen, but it's a possibility, especially since in JN110, Tsurugi mentioned that the rainy season was ending sooner than they thought.

Satokishi

The only thing is good about this episode is seeing young Cythnia with young gibble. I didn't know it was a her. Tough girl.

Spent whole time chasing kids and missing most of the matches.

Leon right off the bat use Daimax. Writer really screw over Alain match.

I never understand if Dai jet and Hellfire was comebine. It should be stronger. Yet blasted through.

This match is so disappointing. Matches would be like a series of oneshot after oneshot. Writers can't do anything right instead of making oneshot for Leon.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Mega Gardevior controlling the flames and then using it against Leon’s Charizard was surprising and great at the same time.

All Cynthia basically said was that Gible emerged from the egg and she was surprised what came out of it.

“I hatched Lucario from a mysterious egg as well”.

I’m crying, so that’s why Lucario is equal to Garchomp in terms of strength now?

Not reserves, egg power

Last edited:

Kage-Pikachu

After re-watching the episode, i have more appreciation for this episode (lol that is usually the case lately). i felt that the connection between both ash and cynthia hatching a pokemon from an egg was delivered well. even more so that cynthia was aware of the egg that wouldn't hatch until Ash came. it made a nice little (but really late) emotional connection between Ash's Lucario and Cynthia's Garchomp which i felt was lacking due to no Infernape. I wish those two pokemon had actually approached each other though to hype up their inevitable match

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
So…this episode didn’t seem nearly as bad as the last 15 pages made it out to be. Don’t get me wrong - it’s flawed. It suffers from pacing issues, and like the M8 Opening and Leon/Alain episode, it feels like 2-3 episodes were chopped up and put together due to time constraints caused by production delays. Nothing really has time to breathe or settle. It doesn’t capitalize on the Cynthia backstory hooks.

But…its OK…-ish.

I liked how they referenced the game protagonists with Vic and Toria. The kids were absolutely adorable, and they worked well for tying the three parts of this episode together.

It was nice seeing Cynthia and Garchomp relaxed and preparing for battle. It makes Cynthia seem a lot more human, and these moments make Ash feel like he really belongs on the same level as the other champions. I honestly prefer these kind of moments over having Ash in the green room with the other trainers.

Cynthia’s design was nice - it was really nice to see her in a new outfit besides her traditional battle outfit. The backstory about Cynthia hatching Garchomp was sweet, but this could have used more time. I also liked how Cynthia had heard about the egg that became Lucario.

I honestly could have done without the “Lost at the League” part of the episode. It wasn’t bad, but I wish they would have used this time on Cynthia’s story and a little more of the battle instead. This would have been fine if they had been able to spread things out over two episodes.

The battle ended the episode on a very strong note. I liked the battle, and I don’t mind that we only saw Diantha’s last two Pokemon. Gardevoir vs. Charizard was very enjoyable, and Diantha seemed like an actual threat to Leon’s ace. They managed to put a few dents in Leon’s invincibility. I don’t like that Diantha only managed to take out two of Leon’s Pokemon, and she should have been able to take down at least one other Pokemon.

Overall, the episode has its strong points, but it suffers because they tried to cram too much into the short time they had.

Risrhayne

Well. I wouldn’t necessarily say that this was a bad episode solely because half of the semi-finals were skipped.

Nah, what made this episode bad to me was that it was combination of like, all of the things that I’ve hated about Journeys because they keep doing it;

1.It’s another “PokemOn arE soooO amaZing” episode. Every time we get these sequences, I can’t help but wonder how sheltered Pokémon kids have to be in order to be constantly blown away by what are their planet’s normal animals. I really wish the COD kids weren’t always the “I love Pokémon” kids.

2.Lucario’s Special Snowflake Syndrome rearing its ugly head. You’re telling me the gosh darn archeologist heard about The Egg that Refused to Hatch? It’s a stinkin’ Lucario! They keep hyping this mon up like it’s a mythical when it’s really just a picky Pokémon. I’m sorry guys, Ash’s Lucario is never gonna be Greninja 2.0, stop trying to make it a thing, especially when they’re bound to be dumped at Oak’s Lab or given to Leon/Greninja to be trained while Ash loses to a Sprigatito.

3.More Leon hype. The more times I see characters gush over Leon, the less and less he feels like a character and more like a deity. I get that he’s based off football stars, but…godlike worship towards athletes isn’t exactly a good thing. Does….does he even have dislikes that aren’t just bad things everyone hates?

4.Galar mons shoved in. Remember when the Pokémon anime showcased basically every new mon each season? Can’t wait for the SV anime to be limited to the starters 90% of the time while the rest of the Paldea region gets cameos at the most.

5.I’m starting to find Ash’s sound effect speeches annoying. I get that the joke is that he can’t explain things, but every time he does this, I can’t help but wonder if Cynthia mentally slapped her forehead at the reality that she’s about to throw down with a child who can’t use his big words yet.

Not the best episode to come back to after such a long break. We’ll be lucky if we even see those two kids again. Cause they sure as heck won’t grow up to be Ash’s rivals anytime soon lol

Red and Blue

Wonder what move Hawlucha hit Dragapult with? Normal and Fighting type attacks wouldn't work on it