• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Semifinals II: Dazzle (1212)

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
I'm really happy with the battle so far. Ash not switching Dragonite was a bit silly but I get the idea behind it - it's in character for Ash to have total, almost blind faith both in his Pokemon and in his ability to reach them, and there's been a time in the past where that has worked (Sceptile). Also yeah if he switches Dragonite he might end up with two asleep.
It also adds a bit of character complexity in step with the more character-driven narrative and writing in more modern series. Having Unonoragon choice to stick around even Badly Poisoned. On another note, Satoshi usually keeps sleeping Pokemon in and they wake up from what I remember of stuff in DP like him fighting Shinji's brother.

Journeys battles have missed the fluidity of the past seasons, the reason they look so average including this one.
I wish newer age battles were more rapid fire outside of their "DBZ"-esque fist clashing scenes. That's something I miss from DP, a nice mixture of action and pace where things weren't so fast you couldn't enjoy or take it all in and it didn't devolve into an animation spectacle or the pacing being a bit more slower. Outside of that portion I liked this battle.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Once again Ash makes bad mistakes. Was it smart sending a Ghost Type to a Dark/Ghost Type?

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
None of which really touches on what I said about their status in the franchise. The casual viewer will expect his Dragonite, Pikachu and Gengar to be his strongest Pokemon while Sirfetch'd and Draco are more obvious underdogs.
I'm talking from a story standpoint because I'm watching a story, not seeing who is more well know and who sells more merch, if the casual viewer or the genwunner which seems what you are talking about has that perception maybe the casual viewer needs to watch the story, not just the battle trying to guess things. For the kids watching the anime as their first series, Gengar and Sirfecth'd are the same.

People's predictions are on point.

My Predictions for episode 124:

Roserade vs Dracovish - Dracovish wins
Togekiss vs Dracovish - Togekiss wins
Lucario vs Togekiss - Lucario wins (Lucario recalled)
SIrfetch'd vs Milotic - Sirfetch'd wins
Sirfetch'd vs Garchomp - Most of the battle happens before ending it off with blades clashing.

and in 125:

Sirfetch'd vs Garchomp continues for a little bit, but Garchomp wins.
Lucario vs Garchomp
Mega Lucatio vs Mega Garchomp - Lucario wins.
Pretty sure Lucario vs Togekiss is when Lucario is sent out last because it’s 2v1

Sham

In all reality what is the duck doing to Garchomp? We’ve seen Pikachu one shot the slug so it wouldn’t be surprising after he beats Milotic, Garchomp comes to clean up. Lucario could take out Roserade, Togekiss and Garchomp.

Dracovish streak isn’t the best and the anime loves proving Type Advantages doesn’t exist even though he 4X resists Roserade

Also, it looks like there’s no more cameos aside from Delia Oak and the decaying lab mons from here on out.
Ash vs Leon companions in the stands please!

DarkusHeracross

I liked the callback to Pauls battle.

spirtomb wiped through ashs team, dismantling Dragonite and Gengar with ease and taking out Pikachu, Ashs ace. Drapion took out buizel, staraptor and torterra.

Drapions poison spikes forced ash to think outside the box and have Infernape use dig and heat up the battlefeild (like charizard vs blastoise)

Spirtiomb forced Ash had Pikachu to think outside the box and use Counter Sheild, (call back to DP) to get past Spiritiomb, but still took out pikachu

This was a well written episode but the animation could have been a bit better.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Pikachu cutting the rocks with Iron Tail was great but Pikachu one-shorting Gastrodon with Quick Attack made no sense.
Did you miss the part where the Stone Edge was deflected back at the slug? I'd be hard pressed to call that a one-shot since it got hit with its own move.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
My thoughts on the performance from Ash’s side:

Dragonite: 5/10. Hard to criticize her really. Draco Meteor hit Spiritomb but sadly didn’t seem to do much, and then it went to sleep anyway. It took several attacks to bring her down though, she was quite the tank.

Gengar: 8/10. An absolute tank like always, went down after 3 attacks, one of them being Leaf Storm, the other being a super effective Sucker Punch. It still tanked it enough to launch Dazzling Gleam though. He weakened Roserade and would’ve ko’ed Spiritomb if not for the earlier battle. 2 assists for him!

Pikachu: 9/10. One-shot the tank that is Gastrodon and defeated the weakened Spiritomb. He was a bit disappointing against Togekiss though.

Ash: 8/10. Not recalling Dragonite is not a major mistake in my book, I can understand that, especially considering that he managed to wake up Sceptile in DP. Wanting to use Gengar against Spiritomb was the right decision, and he showed his smart side when he rendered Roserade useless with Will-o-Wisp and pulled out Counter Shield and the Stone Edge (?) strategy.

A battle befitting of the Alola champion :)

Did you miss the part where the Stone Edge was deflected back at the slug? I'd be hard pressed to call that a one-shot since it got hit with its own move.
That was cool but still unrealistic

DarkusHeracross

Even if Diantha is severely weaker than her, he still didn’t even need to reveal a third Pokémon at the least. Yet this is happening to Ash.

He can’t be winning and perhaps the writers setting this up
Like i said before, this battle is reminding me a lot of Paul vs Ash and how their battle played out. Its possible that Ash may not even come close to beating Leon since hes the Tobias of JN

Sham

Like i said before, this battle is reminding me a lot of Paul vs Ash and how their battle played out. Its possible that Ash may not even come close to beating Leon since hes the Tobias of JN
I’ll do you a better one. Person in the league who’s sweeping everyone with his Charizard with a gimmick known to that region and before Ash only two of his Pokémon were shown.

Anyways Ash beating Leon would be BS so I doubt he’s winning against him

vondecayle

Just to be clear, Gastrodon didn’t go down with just one quick attack, Pikachu threw two heavy boulders at it first.

TheNewGuy

I'm talking from a story standpoint because I'm watching a story, not seeing who is more well know and who sells more merch, if the casual viewer or the genwunner which seems what you are talking about has that perception maybe the casual viewer needs to watch the story, not just the battle trying to guess things. For the kids watching the anime as their first series, Gengar and Sirfecth'd are the same.

Sure, but in the end Pokemon has a lot of much more casual viewers that will have some minor surprise seeing Sirfetch'd succeed where Dnite failed. Just how it is. Attacking those people doesn't really change that or invalidate what I said.