• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Semifinals II: Dazzle (1212)

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
One more post than I'll try to restrain myself until subs but I love the pacing for this episode overall. They managed to give the losses weight and take out the three heavy hitters this will leave for more personal confrontations with Lucario and the Galarian native Pokemon versus Shirona's final four.

Onion duck actually taking on Shirona's land shark dragon was not what I predicted but this knight will play a park in slaying the titan.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Again her strategy was excellent but you would think Ash would realize not all of her Pokémon has Dream Eater. He could have saved a bunch of trouble sending Pikachu out and doing the exact thing saving Gengar and Dragonite from that. Dragonite would have eventually woken up but not getting his energy drained.
He's an on-the-fly battler, he probably didn't think of counter shield until that moment. Gengar burned Roserade and then Shirona brought it back, at that point he stuck with Gengar and that's not a bad thing since Dazzling Gleam hurts Dark-types.

A sleeping Pokemon is vulnerable, Dream Eater or not. It would have been dumb to allow two Pokemon to get inflicted with sleep. He went through this with Melissa/Fantina in DP for a whole arc. Hypnosis's sleep is pretty much a win-button and those Pokemon (I recall) never naturally woke up from that on their own.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
By the way, just a small detail, but I loved how Goh was so excited that he was squishing and nearly suffocating Grookey like that.

Finally got his revenge for being treated like a drum when Rillaboom G-Maxed ^^

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Ok I'll give credit where credit is due, despite a bad start with jobnite (seriously, Ash why the hell didn't you switch) and Gengar's fainting scene being awkward, this was actually pretty cool

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Admittedly I’m not exactly a VGC champion, but I don’t switch out sleeping Pokémon either. Rather hope for the Pokémon to wake up instead of risking other members to be rendered useless like that.

Yce288

Grass type FTW
On another note:the ground type moves that are allowed in the anime right now are:Sand Attack, Sand Tomb, Bulldoze, Dig, Earth Power, Mud Shot, Bone Rush, Bonemerang, Drill Run, High Horsepower, Land's Wrath, Mud-Slap, Mud Bomb, Mud Sport, Precipice Blades, Spikes, Stomping Tantrum, Tectonic Rage and Max Quake.
i guess the situation wasnt as bad as i thought, its just that the anime staff doesnt know how to handle ground type moves very well when giving them to ground type Pokemon.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
It's a special writing technique. It's called "how do we make Ash win/lose even if it makes absolutely no sense?"

I'm actually amazed people are calling Spiritomb/Dragonite a 10/10, as if it wasn't the most ridiculous way to give Cynthia a victory. Ash, a veteran trainer, who has done a lot of switching before, just watches and shouts as Dragonite loses HP and Spiritomb heals in front of his eyes. People are arguing "BUT SWITCHING OUT WOULDN'T HAVE CURED SLEEP", yeah no sh*t, that's not the point, the point was to get Dragonite out of the situation where he was simultaneously being drained while the opponent was being healed. Could have saved Dragonite for another opponent, maybe Roserade, somewhere where Dragonite could resist moves and potentially wake up. This was simply laughable.
"Most ridiculous way" "Simply Laughable"
Dude, Dragonite was sleeping. When it switches back, it'll still be sleeping and gain tons of damage, plus Ash cant predict how the rest of the battle will go and whether or not he'll have a chance. All he would accomplish by switching is probably getting another pokemon incapcitated, aka Fantina.
Betting on hoping Dragonite wakes up and counters is EXACTLY what he did with Sceptile versus Tobias. So since the latter worked in its favour it isnt dumb but the former doesnt and suddenly its cheap? Not counting the fact that TONS of game users will try to barge through the sleep as well during playthroughs
Hoping Dragonite wakes up rather than switching is still valid as a move, even if it doesnt work in his favour
It's definitely not a back-and-forth. A back-and-neutral at most, because as of present, Ash is clearly on the backfoot and the preview shows that he'll remain on the backfoot till the end before Lucario-fication happens. While it's commendable that Ash tried to win some momentum back, Cynthia clearly countered it with her own brand of battling, especially with that Destiny Bond, and still held the upper hand by taking out Ash's strongest Pokemon. At no point did Ash gain the lead at any point today.

This is in clear contrast to Ash vs Paul which started 6-6, swung 6-4 in Ash's favor, Paul equalized and took the upper hand with 3-4, Ash counter attacked with some unpredictability and brought it down to 3-1 and Paul's Electivire finally made it a contest with Infernape for a final showdown. Oh yes, the point about non-linear switching and being turned dumbed on a few occassions also stands. Maybe next week's episode rectifies this, we'll see.
Again putting attention to the numbers. Cynthia clearly was put on a backfoot when both Gastrodon and Spiritomb were completely countered by Pikachu, even breaking her character in both those instances, before she again regains it by Destiny Bond strat. So yeah it isnt neutral when Cynthia was taken aback
This episode most certainly was Cynthia-Ash-Cynthia

And heck taking Paul into account, again judging that battle just by numbers. It swinging 6-4 wasnt really in Ash's favour either coz it was deliberate by Paul to stalk out Ash's team, verify his suspicion and then sweep with his counter strats. Even though this is a bad strat imo as he should have just predicted it rather than also needing to verify it, it still was intentional by Paul and so even tho it was 6-4, Paul had favour with verifying and then countering with Drapion, Ash then took out drapion and fired back aka the 3-1 battle, Paul brought it to the wire and Ash brought home the Victory. So its more Paul-Ash-Paul-Ash. And rn we have seen Cynthia-Ash-Cynthia

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I think Spiritomb's Hypnosis affected me when I was waiting for the episode to air. Sleep thru an alarm.

Always, on to the episode:

This is the episode that makes you remember all the those wonderful times you had to face Cynthia... and fighting to the skin of your teeth as you try to ensure that Elite Four Gauntlet rush didn't end in waste (because, almighty Sinnoh knows, it was difficult to even reach her). Piano PTSD included.

Spiritomb is a wall. Truly the best Pokémon to teach Ash and the audience of why Cynthia is feared by players for years. A combination of hypnosis and dream eater. Oh that was intentional. The battle tactic that forces Ash to create Counter Shield in the place. It's almost disappointing that Ash didn't get Dragonite to use Counter Shield... but it has been so long since that particular strategy has been used that I wouldn't blame him at first.

And it's not like Cynthia is giving him the chance to counter to begin with. Switching out her Pokémon adds confusion and unpredictability to her battle prowess. Gengar is rather fortunate to have Will O Wisp at hand or otherwise its battle against Roserade would be in vain. Gengar apparently uses Dazzling Gleam as a shield, which is perhaps the best option to use against Spiritomb considering that Fairy Types finally gives everyone the edge against Dark/Ghost types. Not that it matters since Spiritomb is still a wall while Gengar faints from the collision.

Cynthia has a special switching out tactic for Pikachu. First, she uses Togekiss as a tempting hope spot of an easy victory, since it's part flying type. But Togekiss is too fast and gets a free hit on Pikachu. Then Cynthia switches out for Gastrodon for ground speciality. Clearly a Pikachu trap. But Pikachu reminds us why he is Ash's number one ace of the whole series overall but overcoming the odds and defeating Gastrodon with Iron Tail, Quick Attack and what appears to be Rock Tomb Climb.

But Cynthia isn't phased yet. She sends out Spiritomb. Ash, anticipating Spiritomb's Hyponsis and Dream Eater combo, brings back Counter Shield. A great continuity nod that emphasizes how much of a final exam Cynthia is to him. Everything that Ash has learned has to be used if he even has a ghost of a chance to face Leon in the Master 8. After Counter Shield defects Hypnosis, Ash goes for his trap with Electro Web strategy. This knocks out Spiritomb (finally), but Cynthia is as devious as ever. Before Spiritomb fell, it used Destiny Bond on Pikachu. Pikachu, the reliable ace that would otherwise give Ash the edge by this point, falls into battle. And with that, all Kanto Pokémon are out, meaning it's the new generation to carry Ash to victory.

As I once said before, Leon may be Mr. Sandman of the Pokémon Universe, but Cynthia is the Bald Bull. Specifically, Title Defense Bald Bull.

A fighter so powerful, so relentless, so broken and so unfair that by the time you defeat them, you'll have an easier time beating the final boss. This is the boss that makes you work for your victory. The boss that makes you get dangerous. No punch pulled, no playing around. You want victory? You want to progress? You have to go through Cynthia with all the bitter tears and sweat that come with it. And who knows, maybe she is the battle Ash needs to understand what he needs against the invincible Leon since there is only one Champion could legitimately topple Leon.