1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Semifinals! Kiawe VS Gladion! (1078)

Discussion in 'Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon - Ultra Legends' started by Serebii, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

[​IMG]
    The Semifinals! Kiawe VS Gladion!

It's time for the semi finals of the Alola League and it starts off with the battle between Kiawe and Gladion. However, when Mimo, Kiawe's sister appears to cheer her brother on, she gets attacked by Team Skull and gets rescued by Gladion. With this, Mimo starts to worry about if her brother will bw able to beat Gladion. Will he manage it?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

2. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

This was fantastic!

And it looked amazing, too!

04n70n10 and KenzeyEevee like this.
  3. TheScentedApple

TheScentedApple Well-Known Member

Gladion's Lycanroc lived for way too long, it should have died to the first shell trap, but learning Focus Blast is cool, based on the preview I'm assuming his moveset will be Shell Smash, Dragon Tail, Shell Trap and Focus Blast, rip Flamethrower then. I think we know where the budget went, this battle, mainly Lycanroc vs Marowak was done very well, looked similar to Brock vs Kiawe, hope the rest of the league has this much effort put into its animation!

04n70n10 and KenzeyEevee like this.
  4. Doppelgänger

It tanked Splintered Stormshards earlier and (barely) won a battle with Hapu's Ghost/Ground Golurk.

At this point, it's fair to say that particular Lycanroc is freakishly bulky. At least it was defeated!

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  5. WhiteBlair

WhiteBlair ベストチャンピオン。

Aside from the fact it was 70% filler and 30% battle, it was a nicely-animated one.

Thought Dragon Tail would've caused the switch in, but glad to see Turtonator actually managed to KO Lycanroc despite all the punches he took in his belly in the second part.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  6. It was a nice battle! I loved it tbh. Gladion was really shocked to see his Lycanrock going down

_AISP likes this.
  7. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

This is by far kiawe's best moment in the anime he didn't won any major match onscreen at leat he put up a good fight against a strong opponent in gladion.

8. Doppelgänger

Something to add: Delia and Professor Oak are two of the possible answers to the Poke Problem of "Who comes to Manalo Stadium in today's episode?".

To me, this suggests that the writing staff is at least aware that they exist. Lana is the only character to not have her family be shown spectating the Pokemon League.and with how last weeks episode ended, I don't think it would have been that appropriate.

So I have to wonder if this is a subtle hint Oak and Delia will show up for the finals. To my knowledge, the only time they did was during the Silver Conference and the final battle of the Battle Frontier.

9. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

At long last, it's finally confirmed: The semifinals are 2v2. Which is still pretty freaking restrained, but at least we're out of 1v1 territory. Now the finals will almost certainly be at least 3v3.

10. Anybody saw how Plumeria didn't agree with Guzma?

11. Doppelgänger

Here's what I recognized from the Team Skull graffiti:

The words are "Aho" x2, "Baka", and one of the grunts draws a henohenomoheji using Japanese characters.

What I can't figure out is what this is supposed to be:

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  12. nuzamaki90

nuzamaki90 Well-Known Member

Ahh I hate this format where half of the episode is just filler and the other half is the battle that continues into the next episode. It’s a 2v2, why couldn’t the whole episode be the battle? Lycanroc damn near took up the entire second half to go down anyway lol

I did like the battle for what it was though. I just feel like Lycanroc, like a lot of other Pokémon in this League, take took long to go down when they obviously should have been defeated a lot sooner. It took an Iron Head, Flamethrower, one Dragon Tail two Focus Blasts and one Shell Trap to finally bring it down and that is ridiculous. And I told you guys that animation cut from Ohashi would be the only really well animated part of the battle.

Otherwise, the episode was okay. Probably the best one so far. Kiawe and Gladion finally got to talk to each other after 130+ episodes. Acerola and Hau are the only ones from the BR besides Plumeria who decided to stick around but it’s just nice to see them regardless. My Japanese is terrible but I know from watching so much anime that Plumeria was probably telling Guzma not to get overconfident because the Chad Ash and Torracat are here for some Revenge

13. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

So what did those two do besides just being there just exposit or just saying “I’m still here.”

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  14. Doppelgänger

It actually took two Dragon Tails, counting the one parried by Counter.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  15. satopi

satopi Go’s Scyther is indestriketible! <3

This battle was amazing! I liked that it’s continuing into the next episode. I guess the closer we get to the finals, the harder the battlers fight. It was cute seeing Hoshi remind him of his own little sister, I felt the embarrassment from beyond the screen looking at both Kiawe and Gladion. I’m starting to see the family resemblance.

And they acknowledged Ash’s mother in the PokeProblem. Please have her appear again before the League ends.

16. nuzamaki90

nuzamaki90 Well-Known Member

Acerola: “I’m still here but I’m not hanging out with the group because I couldn’t find them”

Hau: “I’m still here but I’m not hanging out with the group because Ash is a dirtbag scum lowlife from the boonies and I hate him and that damn owl”

17. Sonnas

Sonnas Well-Known Member

So judging by that I’m guessing they’re just there as cameos and are just there.

nuzamaki90 likes this.
  18. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

It was OK episode. As I predicted first half was bad, second half( battle) was good( nothing special,tbh) which total makes it Ok episode, I'd give it 5/10.Same level as Lana vs Mallow episode.

19. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Again good episode. I seems like the battles are getting more intense and professionally set up the further the league goes and as it dilutes the main battlers.

The first half was....quirky but I think that's just sticking to dynamic and character focus, SM doesn't feel like it's ever going to be JUST about battling. This time it's the battle of onii-chans. :p

I liked how Guzma was conveyed in this episode, less a stoic and moody cliche and more a cocky showman boasting what a badass he is to his posse and basking in their awe, feels a bit closer to how games' Guzma was, even if Plumeria is starting to worry that Ash is genuinely the real deal.

Team Rocket seem to be....up to something. Oh no. I thought you had genuinely learned last time not to tackle them at the top of their game following the league.

Liked how Lycanroc just seems to get more unhinged and psychotic the more damage it takes. Marowak sadly gets knocked out pretty early, only getting in one hit (oh well, it won the second round for Kiawe so it's not the team jobber). Love how damn pumped Turtonator vs Lycanroc was. The current few league matches feel like they're REALLY aggressive and intense. The only thing that felt a bit off was the mid-battle move learn, though I liked even beforehand Turtonator was pretty much 'hulking up'. All we needed was the token "YOOOOOOUU!" point. XD

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  20. Kuzehiko

Kuzehiko Well-Known Member

Episode was dull af except the battle which was decent. Wonder who was Lillie rooting for, Gladio or Kiwae?